Abdominal pain in medical practice are ubiquitous.
The rhythm of modern life, especially the human diet causes all sorts of failures in the organs of the gastrointestinal tract.
In other cases, there are pathological processes affecting the female reproductive system.
The average person is not easy to understand the causes of discomfort: they are too numerous.
The harder it is to distinguish harmless states from pathologies that threaten life and health.
In order to determine in time the dangerous manifestations of various states and not get lost when the question concerns further actions, it is necessary to arm yourself with some knowledge.
Sore left side under the ribs in front: causes
Pain in the left side is an informative symptom. However, it can be due to a huge number of reasons. In the vast majority of cases we are talking about problems with the gastrointestinal tract. In women, the situation is more complicated: the pathology of the reproductive system cannot be excluded. What are the reasons for this?
• Stomach diseases. First of all, it is about the notorious gastritis. Gastritis - an inflammatory lesion of the gastric mucosa. Pain in gastritis is intense, discomfort is localized in the epigastric region (in the center, just below the chest) and the left side. Peptic ulcer of the stomach has similar manifestations. They can only be distinguished by endoscopic examination.
• Colon Disorders. First of all, it is a “trendy” irritable bowel syndrome. Strictly speaking, IBS is not an organic intestinal lesion. It is due to psychosomatic causes, but is accompanied by a mass of uncomfortable sensations. Often the pain is localized in the sigmoid colon (left under the ribs). Intense pains are accompanied by inflammation of the sigmoid colon (sigmoiditis), colitis (inflammation of the large intestine mucosa), organ neoplasms (not always malignant), colic, etc.
• Pancreatitis. Inflammation of the pancreas. Pancreatitis is not always easy to distinguish from gastritis, however, the pain in inflammatory lesions of the gland is much stronger.
• Kidney pathology. The left kidney is located in the anatomical proximity to the organs of the gastrointestinal tract, so the location of the pain cannot always be accurately determined. Pathology of the kidneys can "give" reflected pain. Among them: glomerulonephritis, pyelonephritis, urolithiasis, etc.
• Pneumonia. It may seem strange, but pneumonia (especially lower lobe) is accompanied by pain in the left side.
• Diseases of the cardiovascular system. Dull or burning pains in the left side and behind the sternum may indicate a heart attack, an attack of angina, the development of coronary heart disease.
• Spleen inflammation.
As you can see, the list is impressive. In women, the reasons why the left side hurts under the ribs in front is even greater. Many problems with the reproductive system are characterized by pain:
• Ovarian lesions. Inflammation, ovarian rupture, torsion. All lesions of the ovaries are accompanied by nagging intense pain (if the lesion of the left ovary is affected, pain radiates to the left side).
• Ectopic pregnancy.
• Endometriosis. It is a proliferation of endometrial tissue of the uterus outside the body. It occurs mainly in older persons.
For obvious reasons, it is impossible to independently understand the sources of the problem. You need to have special medical knowledge. However, it is necessary to know how certain diseases and serious conditions appear in order to react in time.
Sore left side under the ribs in front: associated symptoms
You need to carefully listen to your own body, so as not to miss important signals. Fortunately, the pain is never without satellites. This facilitates diagnosis and allows the patient to determine that something is wrong with the body.
• Diseases of the stomach are almost always accompanied by dyspeptic symptoms: weight in the stomach, indigestion, also heartburn, belching. Pain in diseases of the stomach pressing, arching. Stool disorders are rare. However, to distinguish gastric ulcer from gastritis, as already mentioned, is not easy.
• intestinal pathology. Accompanied by characteristic manifestations. Leading manifestation - violation of the chair. In this case, there can be both diarrhea and constipation (and sometimes their alternation). There are streaks of blood, white ribbon-like mucus or pus in the stool. Flatulence proceeds without disturbing the chair, but with intense discharge of gas. Unfortunately, the only thing that can be done by finding similar symptoms is to state a malfunction of the intestines. To determine a specific disease is possible only with the help of endoscopic examination.
• Kidney disease. It is difficult to determine them, because in the early stages renal pathologies may be masked as other diseases. Accompanied by urination disorders.
• Pain in the jaw, left hand - this is a reason to be wary. So manifest heart disease (including heart attack).
Sore left side under the ribs in front: diagnosis
The first thing that a patient should do after finding discomfort in the left side is to consult a doctor. Independently, you can only stop the symptoms, but not cope with the root cause. When pains of high intensity, if the pain is “dagger” in nature, you should not hesitate to call an ambulance: it can be a heart attack, a perforated ulcer, acute pancreatitis, etc. Many conditions are a direct threat to life and are fatal. In all other cases, there is no urgency, but it is recommended to see a doctor as soon as possible. Who to contact:
• Therapist (the first person to contact).
The diagnostic strategy is developed by the doctor based on the symptomatic complex.
In general, the diagnosis includes:
• History taking (patient survey). The doctor asks standard questions regarding the patient's well-being, his complaints, etc. The collection of anamnesis is especially important in the diagnosis of gynecological diseases, so there is no need to hide anything: this is not the case when you can be shy, embarrassed, etc. The doctor should know about the patient everything.
• Palpation. The doctor “probes” potentially problem areas to identify a pain reaction, determine the size and structure of organs.
• Contrast radiography of the stomach, intestines.
• Endoscopic examinations. EGD to assess the state of the gastric mucosa (allows you to accurately exclude gastric neoplasms, determine the extent and nature of damage to the mucous organ). Colonoscopy is the only possible and most informative method for diagnosing intestinal pathologies (from colitis to tumors). Laparoscopy - is prescribed for suspected ectopic pregnancy (indications only).
• Ultrasound procedure. It is used to assess the state of the organs in all possible diseases.
• Laboratory research. A general blood test provides an opportunity to detect the presence of inflammation: leukocytosis and increased ESR are characteristic of almost any inflammation, eosinophilia accompanies autoimmune (including allergic processes). In children, allergic reactions can manifest as intestinal disorders, therefore a complete blood count is especially important in examining young patients. Also, a general blood test allows us to distinguish an ectopic pregnancy from pathological processes of another kind: an increase in the level of leukocytes, ESR is not characteristic of pregnancy. Urinalysis, blood biochemistry is necessary to assess the condition of the kidneys, liver and pancreas.
• Cardiogram, echocardiogram.
Sore left side under the ribs in front: treatment
If the left side under the ribs hurts in front, it is not the pain that is to be treated, but its cause. In the hands of the patient to help yourself, but it is important not to overdo it: pain can be removed with antispasmodics (No-shpa, Drotaverin, Duspatalin, etc.). In exceptional cases (if the pain persists), an analgesic can be taken. But this will not solve the problem. The treatment should be done by a specialist.
Depending on the specific disease, treatment can be both conservative and operative.
Conservative treatment is reduced to taking several groups of drugs:
• Antispasmodics. Used to relieve spasm (muscle contraction) of the smooth muscles of the organ. Among them: Maksigan, Baralgin, Spazgan, No-shpa, Dyuspatalin and others. Let us assume an independent method (within reasonable limits).
• Analgesics. Designed to relieve pain: Maksikold, Kolpharit, Novalgin and others. You can not take uncontrollably.
• Anti-inflammatory drugs. Appointed with inflammatory lesions of internal organs: Ketorolac, Nise and others.
• Antibacterial drugs. Used if the disease is caused by an infectious lesion. Specific names are selected by a specialist.
• Antacid drugs. The task of antacid medicines is to reduce the acidity of gastric juice during gastritis. Some names: Gastrofarm, Gastal, Rutacid, etc.
• Carminatives. Designed to combat increased production of intestinal gases. The problem of flatulence is especially urgent for children and those suffering from gastrointestinal diseases. Appointed: Almagel, Espumizan and others.
• Diuretics. Otherwise called diuretics. They are prescribed for confirmed pathologies of the kidneys. Self-administration of diuretics is unacceptable: side effects often develop and are dangerous.
Surgical treatment is prescribed in a limited number of cases:
• With tumors (benign, malignant).
• If the cause of the pain is a hernia (for example, a hernia of the diaphragm).
• With most gynecological disorders (ovarian torsion, ectopic pregnancy). In addition to traditional abdominal surgeries, in recent years endoscopic, minimally invasive interventions have been increasingly practiced.
• In case of violation of the anatomical integrity of an organ (at rupture of the spleen, stomach, perforated ulcer, etc.).
Sore left side under the ribs in front of children
The causes of pain in children are the same as in adults. There are no major differences in diagnosis or treatment strategies. However, according to medical statistics, pain in children is due to three leading causes:
• The development of appendicitis (oddly enough, in children, pain often radiates to the left side).
The remaining reasons are less common, but they can not be excluded. Fortunately, many diseases of the gastrointestinal tract in younger patients are easier and more often treated on an outpatient basis.
There are many diseases that provoke pain in the left side. Many are life threatening. There is no chance to understand such a variety of pathologies without special medical knowledge, therefore one cannot do without a doctor's help. Timely referral to a specialist is a guarantee of a favorable outcome for any, even the most serious illness.
What is the pain on the left under the ribs
Painful sensations, localized to the left in the region of the ribs and below them, are not specific. They can signal diseases of the internal organs, the nervous system. When diagnosing their exact localization, character determination can help to detect and differentiate serious systemic pathologies (oncological diseases, injuries, chronic inflammatory processes). The pain under the ribs can be dull, acute, pulling or throbbing, accompanied by other symptoms associated with the underlying disease:
- dyspeptic manifestations,
- general weakness
- loss of consciousness,
- pale skin
- rise in body temperature
- chills and others
Why hurt the left side under the ribs
Ignore the pain and burning sensation in the left side should not be, even if these unpleasant symptoms were completely, because may indicate serious pathologies requiring treatment. The following causes of soreness occur:
- diseases of the gastrointestinal tract,
- systemic lupus erythematosus,
- inflammation of the visceral peritoneum,
- perforation (hole) in hollow organs,
- chronic myeloid leukemia,
- kidney infections
- sprain of the renal pelvis,
- diaphragmatic hernia,
- thoracic intercostal neuralgia,
- ischemic colitis
- splenitis, splenomegaly, spleen rupture,
- vegetative crises,
- myocardial infarction, pericarditis, angina,
- organ compression during pregnancy.
The pain on the left under the ribs in the front provokes chronic sluggish inflammatory diseases of the gastrointestinal tract. In this case, the discomfort occurs regularly and lasts a long time. The feeling of intense burning in most cases indicates chronic pancreatitis. If the pain in the front is permanent and increases after eating, then this may indicate gastroduodenitis, sometimes the presence of a tumor.
Most doctors associate pain in the left hypochondrium with pathological disorders of the functioning of the heart. This syndrome can also signal other diseases: intercostal neuralgia, acute renal failure, a significant increase in the spleen. There is no unambiguous reason that will help determine the main diagnosis immediately, based on the location of the pain, so pain under the left side requires expert advice.
Back from the back
If the patient has no pathologies that cause discomfort on the left and behind the back, the pain is a result of hypothermia, eating fatty, spicy or salty foods, excessive exercise. Causes that cause a painful symptom include:
- bronchopulmonary lesions,
- myocardial infarction,
- pathology of the esophagus.
If immediately upon completion of the meal the stomach on the left is sore, then this is a consequence of the developing gastritis. The severity of symptoms varies depending on the acidity of the stomach, the degree of pathological changes in the mucous membrane. Additionally, patients note a burning sensation in the esophagus, heartburn, belching, sour taste in the mouth, diarrhea. In the absence of timely treatment, peptic ulcer of the stomach, duodenum, pancreatitis develops.
The sensation of tingling on the left during exercise indicates an ischemia (insufficient blood supply) of organs and tissues due to poor warm-up. The body did not have time to adapt to the increased blood circulation. This condition is not a pathology, so unpleasant stabbing sensations in training should not cause concern. Soreness in this case passes quickly, has no consequences. It must be remembered that if the stabbing pain passes into the dagger for no apparent reason, this may signal the development of serious pathologies:
- left-sided pneumonia,
- malignant neoplasm in the lung, stomach, intestines,
- infectious pleurisy,
- inflammation of the left side of the diaphragm.
A pain on the left in front of a pulling character signals sluggish duodenitis or colitis. As a rule, the clinical picture includes vomiting, nausea, and digestive disorders. In the absence of signs of diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, heart problems are suspected: angina pectoris, ischemic disease, myocardial infarction, defects. Pulling pain, replaced by a sharp, burning lower ribs speaks of intestinal perforation or thromboembolism of the abdominal vessels.
Painful sensations of a periodic nature are rarely associated with pathological conditions, more often this is a consequence of the physiological characteristics of the human body. This symptom occurs during physical exertion, weight lifting, or in a certain position of the body. Sometimes patients experience recurrent pain when visiting a bath or sauna, after a heavy meal. As a rule, this condition does not require specific treatment, but it should be examined to rule out the presence of diseases.
The appearance of severe pulsating pain in the left hypochondrium and slightly higher indicates the development of acute pancreatitis or pancreatic necrosis. Additionally, the patient has vomiting of bile, digestive problems, an increase in body temperature to subfebrile and febrile values, constant aching pain in the epigastric region. As a rule, such a condition develops within half an hour after a meal (especially fatty or spicy).
If during inspiration pains on the left side in the hypochondrium, first of all, the presence of subphrenic abscess is suspected. The nature of the symptom is intense, more acute in nature, decreases in a sitting or lying position and increases with sharp movements, sneezing, coughing. In the presence of severe intoxication of the body, the patient complains of fever, weakness, sore throat. Less commonly, trauma and peritonitis become the cause of pain while inhaling.
When you press
The aching pain in the left hypochondrium in the front, aggravated by pressing, signals an intestinal obstruction, an inflammatory process. In this condition, additional symptoms are noted: abdominal distension, constipation, bad breath, coated tongue.Also characterized by vomiting, nausea, belching, heaviness in the stomach, symptoms of general intoxication of the body. A sharp pain in the left side under the ribs or below in most cases is the result of a ruptured spleen. At the same time, there are other signs of intra-abdominal bleeding:
- tension or weakening of the muscles of the abdominal wall,
- pale skin
- lowering blood pressure
- cold sweat,
The natural cause of discomfort and pain during pregnancy is fetal growth. In the last trimester, it is actively increasing in size in the uterus, pushed, flipped. The pain associated with the movements of the child, as a rule, sharp, short, sometimes aggravated by inhalation or exhalation. To relieve the condition you can do breathing exercises, lie in a warm bath or take a more comfortable position.
Long-lasting painful sensations, which a woman notes in the left hypochondrium, can be a signal of exacerbation of gastritis, peptic ulcer or other diseases of the gastrointestinal tract. In addition, the symptom is often caused by left-sided pneumonia, diaphragmatic hernia and pathologies of the spleen. Sick in the hypochondrium may be due to renal colic, spasm of the arteries of the abdominal cavity, intestinal infarction, flatulence.
Shingles pain in left side
Acute or aching pain in the left side, which then give to the upper back, under the rib to the left in front, indicate the development of inflammation of the pancreas (pancreatitis), exacerbation of chronic gastritis or duodenal ulcer. The main difference between these pathologies is an additional burning sensation, sometimes pulsations in the epigastric region. If the pain increases over time, then peritonitis is suspected.
If you feel pain or tingling in the left side under the ribs regularly, you should seek help from the clinic to a therapist who will conduct a general examination and prescribe laboratory and instrumental examinations:
- ultrasound diagnostics
- general blood analysis,
- blood chemistry,
- computed tomography.
The results of the survey will help to identify the immediate cause of pain in the side, to determine the further treatment tactics. Additionally, you may need to consult narrower specialists: a traumatologist, a surgeon, an infectious diseases specialist, a gastroenterologist, an oncologist, etc. If a sharp pain suddenly arises in the left side under the ribs, you should immediately contact the hospital for help. a symptom can be caused by a rupture or perforation of an organ, bleeding, or another condition requiring urgent medical intervention.
To eliminate the pain under the ribs, you must take a horizontal position, relax, open the window and remove the squeezing clothing. Some drugs will help to stop the attack:
- antispasmodics (Drotaverin, No-Spa),
- anti-inflammatory drugs (ibuprofen, nurofen),
- analgesics (Analgin).
Remember that for sudden sudden pain, accompanied by vomiting, nausea, dizziness, pallor, fever, you should immediately seek the help of specialists. In some cases, to eliminate the cause of the pain syndrome, emergency surgery is indicated. Indications for surgery can be:
- organ rupture
- ulcer perforation,
- internal bleeding of any etiology.
A painful symptom under the ribs is one of the first signs of a developing serious illness. These can be circulatory disorders of organs, inflammatory processes, neoplasms, etc. In order for the pain under the left side and its main cause not to lead to serious conditions, several recommendations should be followed:
- periodically undergo a full medical examination,
- in the presence of chronic pathologies to follow the recommendations of the doctor,
- at the first manifestations of pain immediately consult a doctor,
- avoid injury.
Causes of the phenomenon
It is quite obvious that the aching pain in the left side is provoked by certain disturbances in the functioning of the internal organs. Unfortunately, too many different factors can cause such discomfort. To establish the true cause of pain can only doctor. Therefore, you should not independently diagnose and ascribe to yourself non-existent diseases. Go to the doctor's appointment to sort out the unpleasant situation.
Most often, aching pain in the left side is caused by diseases of the stomach, spleen, pancreas, diaphragm, or intestine. And, therefore, in a patient experiencing agonizing discomfort, pathology can be identified:
- intestinal loops,
- left aperture area.
In case of gastritis or functional dyspepsia, any irritation of the mucous membrane will surely cause pain. To provoke discomfort can:
- substandard food
- excessive use of the drug "Aspirin".
In diseases of the stomach, the patient feels aching pain in the left side of the abdomen, in the upper region. Sometimes discomfort is not the only symptom that bothers the patient. A person may suffer nausea, vomiting.
If gastritis became the cause of the pain, then the patient experiences significant relief after taking antacids that can reduce the acidity of the gastric environment.
But if the pain does not stop, then it is imperative to go to a doctor in order to rule out serious enough pathologies, such as an ulcer or cancer.
Very often the aching pain in the left side under the ribs is provoked by this very organ. After all, the spleen is located in the upper region of the peritoneum and is localized very close to the surface.
Pain can be caused by an increase in spleen size. In addition, after injury to the peritoneum or some infectious pathologies, the organ may be prone to rupture. The spleen is extremely vulnerable because it is located very close to the surface of the body. Sometimes, as a result of infectious pathologies (for example, mononucleosis), the organ greatly increases in size and becomes softer in consistency. In this case, the risk of rupture increases, even without external influence.
Symptomatology characterizing the pathology:
- severe abdominal pain
- high sensitivity in this area
- blue area in the navel area due to a large accumulation of blood.
Hernia of the diaphragm
The pain in the left side, in front, in the upper abdomen may indicate a rather unpleasant phenomenon. The diaphragm is a muscle that separates the abdominal cavity and the pectoral cavity. Its structure implies a hole through which the esophagus is connected to the stomach. In case of weakening of the muscle tissue, the opening may increase. As a result, the upper part of the stomach begins to bulge from the peritoneum into the chest cavity. This pathology is called a diaphragmatic hernia.
The dull pain that occurs in this pathology is often perceived as discomfort in the heart area, because the patient may experience discomfort high in the chest.
It is easy enough to distinguish these pathologies. The pain provoked by the hernia of the diaphragm, during flexion or in the supine position, is greatly increased. Heart discomfort “does not respond” to any movements of the body.
However, do not forget that only an experienced specialist can make a true diagnosis.
Discomfort in the left side can be triggered by inflammatory processes in the lower sections of the large intestine. Most often, patients experience not only pain. The disease is accompanied by other symptoms:
If intestinal inflammation is suspected, the patient should refrain from a few days from:
- fresh fruits and vegetables
- spicy, spicy seasonings,
- black bread
As a rule, after a few days the patient's condition improves significantly. But if health has not recovered, even despite the complete adherence to the recommended diet, it is imperative to consult a doctor.
You may need to undergo a course of medical therapy.
Quite often, pain in the left abdomen provokes pancreatitis. This is an inflammation of the pancreas. This body can give unpleasant sensations in the central region, right side. The reasons for such a prevalence of excruciating symptoms lies in the structure of the gland. The pancreas is stretched across the upper abdomen.
This organ is very often subjected to various inflammatory processes (pancreatitis). In addition, pancreatic oncology is often found.
One can suspect pathology in this organ by the nature of the pain:
- left side stabs
- with pancreatitis, discomfort is extremely sharp,
- it can be shingles and even give in the back.
Often the pathology is accompanied by hyperthermia, nausea, vomiting.
Patients affected by the risk of pancreatitis are:
People need to follow a strict diet for several days to relieve pain. But in any case, in order to exclude repeated attacks, it is important to consult with your doctor about the course of treatment.
Discomfort in the back
Pain in the left side can spread to different parts of the body. Sometimes discomfort occurs in the back. In this case, the discomfort can appear in the morning or bother for a long time. But there are cases when the pain in the left side from the back becomes simply unbearable. Such discomfort does not allow work, rest.
So why does the left side hurt from the back? Sources of discomfort can be:
- Pathology of the respiratory system (pneumonia, pleurisy, cancer of the lung or bronchus, pneumothorax).
- Heart diseases (angina pectoris, aortic aneurysm, myocardial infarction, pericarditis).
- Urinary system diseases (retroperitoneal hematoma, renal colic, arterial thrombosis).
- Pathology of the nervous system and spinal cord.
To determine the true cause of pain is possible only after the survey.
Types of pain
Also, pay attention to the characteristic of discomfort:
- Prolonged pain under the ribs may indicate renal damage.
- The pulsating nature of discomfort, aggravated by inhalation, is a symptom of the affected lung tissue.
- Dull pain can signal an inflammatory process in the kidney or spleen.
- Intensive shingles discomfort in the epigastric zone, giving to the scapula, heart or lower part of the sternum - symptoms of pancreatitis.
- Acute pain, significantly aggravated during expiration, most often signals osteochondrosis or intercostal neuralgia.
- Permanent burning sensations in the sternum, periodic "lumbago" may indicate aortic aneurysm.
- Shooting, projection pain is often a sign of damage to the spinal cord and nervous system.
Quite often, the representatives of the stronger sex experience agonizing pains. The left side, the lower abdomen in men is an area in which quite unpleasant diseases can occur. The reasons for such discomfort can be many. It is quite difficult to independently determine the source provoking the aching discomfort in the left side, so you should not postpone the visit to the doctor.
Consider what causes unpleasant pain. The left side, lower abdomen in men may be disturbed by a number of factors. Quite serious causes of discomfort are hernia, inflammation of the testicles, cyst, roughage or inflammation of the pancreas.
Strengthened exercise can also cause unpleasant discomfort in the left side. In this case, do not worry too much. Such pain indicates unusual shaking for internal organs. As a rule, the discomfort is tingling, pulling. It is necessary to stop and get some breath. Better yet, skip one lesson.
A very common cause of pain in men is testicular inflammation. This pathology is caused by colds, sitting on cold benches or infection.
Causes of pain in women
Often, such discomfort is experienced by pregnant women. In this case, aching pain in the left side of women appears from the 8th week. Peculiar sensations associated with the growth of the fetus. At the same time, ligaments increase. Such causes can trigger abdominal discomfort.
So, pain in women is most often caused by the following factors:
- Stretching ligaments cause discomfort. Such a phenomenon is quite natural. A woman has the pain of a whining character. As a rule, the discomfort after a certain time passes on its own. No pain medication should be used.
- Left-side pain discomfort can signal abnormal functioning of the stomach. Very often, pregnant women become extremely selective in taste preferences. Expectant mothers consume a lot of food and often enough. At the same time, they manage to combine completely incompatible products. Of course, it is better to try to be more discerning in your diet.
- Sometimes the pain during pregnancy is triggered by a malfunction of the pancreas. This is typical of women who do not follow a diet, are overly addicted to fatty, meat food, smoke or consume alcohol. In such a situation, you must immediately hurry to the doctors. These violations can adversely affect the health of the baby.
- The source of pain in the left side can be very serious. Such discomfort is one of the symptoms of placental abruption. Only timely diagnosis can save a crumb. This often happens miscarriages.
If a pregnant woman has pain, you should immediately contact your gynecologist, carefully describing all the painful symptoms. A great solution would be an ultrasound. This will make sure that the baby is not in danger.
If there is pain in the left abdomen of an adult or child, it is necessary to consult a doctor. After all, any pathology, even appendicitis, can become a source of discomfort. Do not delay with a visit to the doctor. Remember: neglect of their health and the condition of loved ones never led to good. Therefore, when pain arises do not rush to take analgesics or antispasmodics. Go to the doctor to find out the true reason causing such unpleasant sensations.
Why the left side hurts can be explained by the development of so many diseases and pathologies. Discomfort and pain are associated with diseases of those organs that are located in the left hypochondrium. it spleen, the left side of the diaphragm,part of the stomach, pancreas,bowel loops, left kidney pole. In violation of the functions of these organs, cramps, spasms and pain in this area occur.
Pain in the left side of the abdomen - what is it like?
Initially, the boundaries of the hypochondrium should be determined. This is the left side of the abdomen - the left quadrant at the top, which is located under the ribs. Accordingly, what exactly hurts in this part of the abdomen in a man, a woman or a child, and which doctor should be referred to, can be determined by the nature of the pain, the period and circumstances of its occurrence. If the pain is manifested in the upper abdomen in the center and gives to the left side, we can talk about the development of various diseases.
Dagger sharp pain
If the burning sensation develops sharply, and it is not connected with the load, then it is necessary to seek medical help. A sharp burning sensation under the ribs, as well as a burning sensation in the lower abdomen may be evidence of rupture of the spleen, renal pelvis, perforation of the stomach wall and loops of the small intestine. Also likely in this case acute pancreatitis and abdominal option myocardial infarction.
Dull aching pain in left side
Spilled, aching pain, which manifests itself for a long time and occurs periodically, may be a sign of the development of a chronic disease of the digestive tract. Likely inflammation in the stomach - gastritis, and pancreatitis, cholecystitis And others. To determine what can hurt in the left side, or eliminate the development of pathologies, it is important to consult a gastroenterologist, conduct tests and research. Also pulling pain in the left hypochondrium develops with some blood pathologies, bacterial infections, sepsis, systemic diseases.
It's a dull pain
If the hypochondrium constantly whines, pulls, then the causes of heaviness under the ribs may be associated with the development duodenitisor sluggish colitis. If at the same time the patient immediately has nausea and vomiting, then we can talk about the likelihood gastric ulcer.
If pain is not associated with problems in the digestive tract functions, it can be assumed preinfarction state, angina pectoris, coronary heart disease.
Causes of pain in the left hypochondrium
Thus, answering the question that it can hurt in the left hypochondrium, the following reasons should be mentioned:
- cardiomyopathy, heart failure, heart attack,
- gastrointestinal tract diseases - cholecystitis, ulcer, gastritis, pancreatitis, duodenitis, colitis,
- intercostal neuralgia,
- enlargement or rupture of the spleen,
- tumors of the internal organs,
- spleen infarction due to arterial thrombosis,
- rheumatic manifestations,
- diaphragm injury diaphragmatic hernia,
- left-sided pleurisy, and left pneumoniadeveloping in the lower part of the left lung.
It should be borne in mind that the person is in the hypochondrium, as well as the nature of the pain (radiating to the back, aching, sticking, just heaviness or discomfort) as well as factors that could determine the development of such pain (after eating, while breathing during physical exercises, etc.).
The hypochondrium in front of a woman can hurt when of pregnancy. In this state, there is also pain in the left hypochondrium behind the back due to the strong pressure of the enlarged uterus on the internal organs. Sometimes, future mothers complain that in the side periodically stabs.
The pain in the left hypochondrium in the front can also be associated with the trauma suffered - in this case, you can feel both discomfort in the front or dull pain in the front, as well as severe, diffuse pain. In this case, the reasons should immediately determine the doctor.
Pain in the left side under the ribs, the mechanism of occurrence
Why the pain on the left side under the ribs depends on the mechanism of the development of such pain. This indicator is an additional sign in the process of diagnosis, when the doctor tries to determine what hurts in the left side under the ribs, which is on the right and causes such sensations.
The following division of pain in this area is known:
Develop with intestinal spasms or in case of violation gastric motility.
Also, visceral pain is characteristic of the state of stretching the muscle fibers of the digestive tract. A person may complain that he has a stomach ache, if the disease progresses, the pain can be felt in the center, as well as on the right side. The patient sometimes complains that in the stomach gurgles, pulls on both sides.
When flatulence in the side on the left and on the right there may be a dull aching pain.
When intestinal colic - cramping pain, moreover, a person may have complaints that stabs in other, near parts of the body - between the ribs in the middle, side, etc.
Despite the nature of the pain that can cause such attacks under the ribs, the doctor should diagnose. Determining the causes, the specialist, first of all, takes into account what is on the left under the ribs, is interested in the nature and mechanism of pain. It also clarifies some important points - for example, is there any pain in the ribs when coughing, is there a pain in the rib when pressed. Which body is located in this area and where the pain develops will help determine and appointed by a specialist study.
Pain ahead in left hypochondrium
If there is pain in the left side at the waist level, then, most likely, we are talking about a lesion of the spleen or tissues of the stomach. However, if pain occurs at the waist level, the doctor makes a differential diagnosis with myositis, myocardial infarction, colitis. If the upward displacement of pain occurs, and it manifests itself in the center, then it is likely that stomach ailments are combined with duodenal and gallbladder diseases.
When the pain is behind
If a person complains that his left side is hurt from the back, and this part hurts constantly, then there is probably a lesion in the left kidney. In this case, the pain from the back is strong.
If you have a kidney ache, the symptoms can constantly bother What to do in this case, the doctor determines after diagnosis. Signs of the disease can be determined by ultrasound, and urine and blood tests should also be performed.
It also hurts under the left shoulder blade at the back or slightly lower when osteochondrosis. Causes of back pain can be associated with palpation of the paravertebral processes. Discomfort on the side of the scapula may occur during myositis.
Shingles pain that is combined with unpleasant sensations on the left
Pulling back pain that appears where the lower left rib is located, goes back to the anterior abdominal wall, then it may be suspected that it has inflamed pancreas and develops pancreatitis. As a rule, with pancreatitis, girdling pain in the area of the stomach and back increases when inflammation develops. Then she is sharp, smack in the back. It becomes a little easier for a person when he sits or leans forward.
Causes associated with the pathologies of the diaphragm
The severity and constant pain develops with diaphragm pathologiesas well asdiaphragmatic hernia. The hole in the diaphragm separates the chest from the abdominal cavity. If there is a weakening of the muscle tissue that regulates this hole, the lumen expands, and the upper part of the stomach is in the chest cavity. Accordingly, the contents of the stomach is thrown into the esophagus, as a result of which this area constantly aches - an aching, dull pain, nauseous, worried heartburn.
Diaphragmatic hernia develops during pregnancy in people with overweightwith strong physical exertion. Also, such diseases often occur in people in old age against the background of weakening of the muscular system. In some cases, the stomach is pinched, then there is a sharp cutting pain in the stomach and in the left hypochondrium, sometimes the pain in the stomach gives back.
Pain in intercostal neuralgia
Against the background of the development of neurological diseases, irritation or squeezing of the intercostal nerves may occur. When nerve cells are affected, in patients intercostal neuralgia pain can have a very wide range: develop cramping, pulsating, piercing, sometimes acute or aching, dull or burning pain. The person complains that in the lumbar region, under the ribs he presses, tugs, numb, aches, bakes. Such sensations increase with breathing - sigh, when inhaling, exhaling, as well as when coughing, pressing on certain points on the back, chest, spine, during exertion, changing the position of the body.
When attacks of neuralgia tingles under the breasts, there are periodic twitching of the muscles, pallor or redness of the skin, heavy sweating.
Patients with neuralgia are often interested in doctors, which is on the left side of a person, as pain often gives off under the scapula, felt under the heart, in the abdominal region from above, in the upper back under the scapula, and also in other places when pressed. There is a feeling that cuts, "interferes" and twitches in different places.
Painful sensations appear at any time of the day, and in those places where nerve pathways were damaged, numbness is noted.
Pain left with heart disease
In the region of the heart, burning pain is not always associated precisely with cardiac pathologies, because a person can be disturbed by organs from those under the heart. However, if the aching pain appears on the left, under the left nipple, simultaneously with shortness of breath, nausea, heart palpitations, and this occurs both during exercise and at rest, the development of heart disease can be suspected. The patient may feel heavy and burning under the sternum. Similar symptoms may occur with coronary heart disease. If amazed coronary arteries, there is a violation of the blood supply to the heart muscle, provoking the development of ischemia.
What hurts in the left side below the ribs is of interest to those who suffer cardiomyopathy. This is a series of diseases in which heart function is impaired, but not marked hypertension, Valve pathology, vascular diseases of the heart. In patients with cardiomyopathy, the heart muscle structurally changes. As a result, a person gets more tired, colic and pain develop during physical exertion.
Left pain in spleen diseases
With the manifestation of pain on the left, you can suspect that a person is concerned about the spleen.
Where is this organ and how does it hurt? The spleen is fragile, it is easily torn, so pain develops in any pathological condition of this organ. If the spleen hurts, the symptoms of its small increase are difficult to detect, especially in people with overweight, as the spleen of a person is located deep in the hypochondrium on the left.
The location of the spleen in humans
Splenomegaly(i.e. an enlarged spleen) is noted at infectious mononucleosis and other diseases whose causes are infectious lesions. But with this disease, the patient also has a fever, fever, muscle pain, intoxication, swollen lymph nodes and liver.
In the body, the spleen performs different functions, being the largest lymph node, the thinnest blood filter and the largest conglomerate of reticuloendothelial tissue.
Spleen hypertrophyhappens if it performs its functions in enhanced mode due to infectious diseases,hemolytic anemia, diseases of immune complexes. Its increase in size as a result of this is sometimes the answer to the question of what causes the spleen of a person.
In addition, there are other reasons why the spleen hurts. The reasons for this may be a tumor, injury, infiltration, developmental defects. The most acute painful sensations manifest themselves after an injury or blow, which leads to the rupture of this organ. What to do if this happens should be determined as soon as possible by the doctor. When the spleen ruptures, the blueness of the skin near the navel is also noted, pain in the area of the back is noted. Once these symptoms have been noted, emergency care should be called in immediately.
Manifestations gastritis occur in most people. The gastric mucosa is very sensitive to the action of irritants, which in modern foods contain a very large amount.
When gastritis in the hypochondrium develops aching pain, belching, nausea, sometimes in the stomach growls, boils, there is a pulsation. Developing pain in the epigastrium, vomiting, feeling of pressure, heaviness. These symptoms appear in children and adults most often after eating. With gastritis, the patient is also concerned about pallor, dry mouth, a feeling of weakness, constipation, diarrhea, gas, bloating.
With gastric ulcer
Symptoms of this disease are similar to signs of gastritis. The symptoms depend on how severe the disease is. But at stomach ulcer pain usually occurs after eating has occurred.
In case of an ulcer, the patient is worried not only by severe colic, but also by vomiting, appetite deterioration, belching, heartburn, rumbling and gurgling in the stomach.
With perforated ulcercolic in the lower abdomen and in the region of hypochondrium turn into a sudden dagger pain, which may cause a person to lose consciousness.
In diseases of the pancreas
What is a person in the left side under the ribs, worries and people suffering pancreatitis. In this disease, severe girdling pains appear on the left below the ribs above and slightly below. This condition is characterized by vomiting with bile, bitter taste in the mouth, nausea. Sometimes the pain is so intense that a person has to sit bent over. It may lighten the feces and darken urine.
If the disease becomes chronic, the pain is mostly worried after the abuse of junk food and alcohol. Oncological processes in the pancreas are very difficult to establish, since at the onset of the disease the symptoms are almost not noticeable.
In oncological diseases of the digestive system
In the early stages, oncologic processes can occur with not very pronounced symptomatology. Therefore, different symptoms should be alarming, especially if they develop frequently or it occurs in older people. Periodic tingling - if pulsating and tingling lower abdomen or higher, weakness, constant lack of appetite, anemia, rapid saturation, constant turbulence and periodic stomach pain, regular alternation of diarrhea and constipation - all this is cause for concern. It is also necessary to immediately consult a doctor if a seal, a lump appeared in this area.
But if one of these symptoms persists, only a doctor should draw conclusions about the disease and prescribe treatment.
Pain in the hypochondrium in women
In contrast to men, in women such sensations can be the result of physiological processes. Sometimes stabs in the left side during pregnancy, in the period before menstruation.
Why pricks in the left side of the abdomen during pregnancy, it is easy to explain the physiology of the future mother. A number of organs that are located in the left side of the lower abdomen are subjected to the pressure of the increasing uterus. Therefore, during pregnancy, especially in the last periods, there are periodic pains, both in the upper and in the lower part of the hypochondrium. Sometimes the pain increases when the fetus moves. But, as a rule, it is easy. It may also bother swirling in the intestines, in the stomach often rumbling.
It happens that in women before the start of menstruation a lot is produced in the body. sex hormones, resulting in a spasm of the bile ducts. A woman notes nausea and pain, pain in the left side of the abdomen. In this case, you need to consult with a gynecologist.
What should I do with the manifestation of pain?
If pain in the left hypochondrium bothers the patient, and the diagnosis has not yet been established, initially you should contact the therapist who can determine which specialist should be referred to further.
Sometimes it takes an emergency call and subsequent hospitalization. So you need to act in the following cases:
- with sudden sharp pains
- with aching pain that does not go away for one hour,
- with stabbing pains in the process of movement, not passing about 30 minutes,
- with dull pains and vomiting with blood.
Self-medication is not allowed to practice. It is especially important not to warm the hypochondrium with the help of a hot-water bottle, since such actions can aggravate the course of the disease. Agents that relieve cramps can disrupt the overall picture and complicate diagnosis. It is allowed to use a cold compress.
Dull pain in the left hypochondrium in the front can be caused by ordinary food poisoning. This disease occurs when poor-quality food enters the stomach. Also, food poisoning is accompanied by gag reflexes, fever and general weakness.
Why is there pain in the left hypochondrium in front? The reasons may be different. Among them is a disease like flatulence. The pain in this case is caused by a large amount of gas in the stomach. It is accompanied by belching with an unpleasant smell. Flatulence can lead to intestinal obstruction, if not in time to begin treatment.
Pathology of the spleen
Dull pain in the left hypochondrium in the front may be due to problems with the spleen (trauma, ulcer, sepsis, hepatitis). Violation of the integrity of the spleen is characterized by pain, burning, vomiting, general intoxication of the whole organism. Also, the patient develops the need to take a large amount of water, decrease pressure and heart palpitations. The spleen is one of the main organs, and if there is pain in it, you need to urgently go to the hospital and undergo a full examination to establish the location of the pain.
The aching pain in the left side under the ribs in front can be a signal of pancreatitis. The disease is acute and chronic. Symptoms of pancreatic pathology:
- aching pain in left side under front ribs,
- the patient develops increased weakness,
- vomiting reflex,
- weight loss.
Pain in the left hypochondrium, giving and dull anteriorly, is one of the symptoms of myocardial infarction. And this disease, as is known, is very dangerous and is fraught with consequences. Therefore, with unpleasant aching, dull pain in the front under the ribs, and giving in the area of the scapula, you should immediately call a doctor.
The pain is localized in the abdomen and radiates to the left side. Constipation is considered a pathology in which there is no feces for two days.
In the stomach there is pain associated with irritation of the mucous membrane. Over time, the mucosa becomes covered with ulcers and its destruction occurs. Also typical for an ulcer are the following symptoms:
- vomiting reflex,
- pain that gives in the left hypochondrium,
You should know that pain in peptic ulcer can be a harbinger of a serious pathology, such as a perforated ulcer. It is characterized by severe dagger pain, a patient’s shock, vomiting with blood, loss of consciousness, and general intoxication of the body.
Pain with urolithiasis can be equally and right and left lower abdomen. Pain in the left side of the abdomen is observed when the stone moves along the left ureter from the peritoneum. Urolithiasis is the formation of stones of various etiologies and sizes in the organs of the urinary system.
Causes of pain syndrome on the left
The pain that is on the top in the left side can be the cause of the following pathologies:
- diaphragmatic hernia,
- left-sided pneumonia,
- pleurisy on the left side
- closed and open abdominal injuries,
- spleen pathology,
- different nature of neuralgia,
- diseases of the stomach.
Characteristics of pain syndrome under the left ribs
It's a dull pain. This type of pain is accompanied by a protracted inflammatory process. The main causes of such pain is duodenitis and colitis. When stomach ulcer, along with pain there is nausea and vomiting. Still aching pain under the ribs on the left side can cause heart and vascular pathologies.
Acute pain requires immediate hospitalization and examination by a specialist for a preliminary diagnosis. Basically, the pain under the ribs on the left indicates perforation of the stomach, pathology of the spleen.
The pain is dull character.In most cases, it refers to the chronic form of the disease of the stomach and intestines. These include cholecystitis, gastritis, pancreatitis.
Left lower abdominal pain during gestation
When a pregnant woman has pain in the lower abdomen on the left, you should immediately contact a specialist to avoid serious complications. Symptoms of pregnancy pathology:
- within 30 minutes does not pass the pain syndrome on the left,
- pain increases with time,
- acute dagger pain in left side in normal general condition.
All these pain symptoms characterize the onset of a threatening abortion, where immediate gynecologist consultation and emergency treatment is needed. When the pain is nagging and short during pregnancy, this is due to the growth of the uterus in the early stages. The uterus, which has an enlarged size, causes pressure on nearby organs and can also cause small and pulling pain. Another pain in the left lower abdomen may indicate pressure on the intestines of the growing uterus. Quite often, pregnant women suffer from constipation, which also causes pain and discomfort, mainly from the left side. During gestation of the fetus, the body produces special hormones that inhibit the work of the intestine, thereby causing stagnation in it.
Cancer pain on the left
When the pain in the left hypochondrium is in front, it can be a sign of bowel cancer. In the first stage, the patient does not feel severe pain, but only the first harbingers of the disease. These include frequent constipation, which are accompanied by cracks. If a pathology occurs, you need to undergo a CT scan or a colonoscopy. The results can determine the exact location of the tumor, its size and stage of cancer. In most cases, the pain may be identical in different diseases, so in order not to be mistaken with the diagnosis, it is necessary to prescribe an additional diagnosis to the patient.
Dull pressing pain in the left upper hypochondrium requires not only urgent examination by a specialist, but also further examination. Medical workers have such a thing as a sharp stomach, which is fraught with serious complications. This term refers to the urgent hospitalization of a patient, otherwise complications can lead to death. When there is pain in the abdominal cavity on the left above or below, then you should not risk your health, and you need to be examined.
Usually, pain of a different category requires operative intervention and an urgent call to an ambulance. Remember that health is largely dependent on the patient, as well as on the correct diagnosis and the time of assistance provided. You should not take painkillers yourself, which will smooth the picture of the pathology that has arisen. Only qualified specialist help can eliminate pain and normalize the work of the diseased organ.
To avoid the occurrence of pathology in the female reproductive system, it is necessary to visit a gynecologist twice a year and undergo an additional examination. After all, as you know, gynecological diseases occur with pain, which is localized on the left side below. Such pain can be a harbinger of a serious illness, which is fraught with not only a worsening of general well-being, but also more serious complications.
Treatment of the cause of pain in the left hypochondrium is the right decision. If you feel the corresponding pain, you should not try to relieve it yourself, because it can be caused by many serious diseases that only a doctor can detect. In case of pain, an urgent need to contact a specialist who will find out its source and will engage in appropriate therapy. Be healthy!
What hurts in the left side under the ribs in front
In cases where the left hypochondrium hurts, it does not indicate problems specifically with the ribs, but pathological states of the internal organs. In this area of the body are the following internal organs, which can cause pain under the left edge in front:
- bowel loops,
- part of the stomach
- the left side of the diaphragm,
If at first, immediately after the meal, the stomach from the left side under the ribs hurts from the food eaten, this indicates the development of gastritis. The intensity of sensations varies due to the acidity of the stomach at a particular moment. Any fluctuations in the concentration of the substance increases the irritant effect on the mucous membrane, leading to painful sensations. It causes heartburn, nausea, vomiting. In advanced cases, gastric ulcer develops, in which pain occurs immediately after eating.
When inhaling and coughing
In cases when the left side hurts with a sigh, as a rule, subphrenic abscess is diagnosed. The nature of the pain is intense, decreases when lying down or half-sitting, increases during deep breathing, coughing, sudden movements or sneezing. The pain under the rib can sometimes shift to the supraclavicular region, under the scapula of the same side. As a rule, this pathology is accompanied by symptoms of intoxication of the body, a strong fever.
In most cases, subphrenic abscess occurs after surgery (abdominal surgery), which simplifies the process of diagnosis. Less commonly, trauma to the internal organs of the abdominal cavity becomes the cause, and sometimes an abscess is a consequence of the complication of purulent processes of the liver as a result of peritonitis (appendicitis, acute cholecystitis, etc.).
Sore rib on the left side when you press
Obstruction of the intestine causes an inflammatory process, due to which the left hypochondrium hurts. Unpleasant sensations intensified when pressed. Accompanied by bloating, diarrhea, or constipation. Characterized by nausea, vomiting, symptoms of intoxication. Increased pain in the left side below the ribs when pressed indicates, in most cases, the rupture of the spleen. Together with such manifestations, the following signs of intra-abdominal bleeding are observed:
- increased heart rate
- muscle tension of the peritoneal wall
- pressure drop.
The cause of pain under the left edge of the front in infants aged 4-9 months is diverticulitis (intestinal volvulus, lower part). It is diagnosed in children with excess weight. It is a pathology that one intestinal tube enters the lumen of another. The course of the disease has the following chronology:
- The child begins to show anxiety.
- Clenching his legs, writhes and cries.
- Suddenly, the pain on the left stops, and the child continues to play, calms down.
- After a short period of time the seizure recurs.
- After repeated cessation of symptoms, vomiting begins.
- At the same time, the child’s stool is normal at first, but later blood is added.
Causes of pain in the left hypochondrium
Ignore the condition when it hurts under the ribs in the center or left front, it is not necessary, even if the discomfort has passed. This symptom indicates a serious disease that requires timely diagnosis and treatment. Clinical practice indicates the following common causes:
- pancreatitis, chronic, acute inflammation of the pancreas,
- stomach ulcer,
- chronic myeloid leukemia,
- glomerulonephritis, pyelonephritis,
- diaphragmatic hernia,
- intercostal neuralgia,
- ischemic colitis
- splenitis, splenomegaly, spleen rupture,
- vegetative crises,
- myocardial infarction, pericarditis, myocarditis, angina pectoris,
- in women during pregnancy, the volume of the pulmonary system expands.
Girdle pain under the ribs and in the back
If you experience pain under the edge of the left front, which later begin to give back, indicate the development of an inflammatory process of the pancreas (pancreatitis). The main symptom of this disease when it occurs is a very strong, burning encircling pain, dulling if the person tilts the body forward or assumes a sitting position.