We all know the smell of garlic. And if such a “flavor” from the mouth may not bring you discomfort, then it is unlikely to be pleasant to the people around you. This vegetable has a lot of useful properties. However, the consequences of its use in the form of a pungent smell can negate all the existing advantages. Some people such a “flavor” is so poorly tolerated that they can not adequately perceive the interlocutor, who smells of garlic. In this regard, if you have eaten a couple of slices of this vegetable, for example, in order to maintain immunity in the period of increasing the incidence of flu and colds, it is necessary to take appropriate measures so that those around you do not experience discomfort. Therefore, today we suggest you understand how to remove the smell of garlic from the mouth.
Causes of "aroma"
Before we learn how to deal with such a phenomenon, we suggest finding out why there is an unpleasant breath from garlic. So, the reason for such a "spirit" that appears after eating this product is the release of sulphate gases in the process of its digestion. To avoid this will not work, as the gas enters the blood and lungs and, in addition, is released through the pores of our skin. Of course, this is not entirely pleasant, but not fatal, because there are many ways to get rid of the smell of garlic. Let us dwell on them in more detail, but first we will find out how to determine whether there is an unpleasant “flavor” or not.
How do I know if my mouth smells
If we compare people with animals, then our sense of smell is significantly inferior to the scent of our smaller brothers. Therefore, we almost can not feel their own smell. In this regard, before you worry about the question "how to remove the smell of garlic from the mouth," you should find out if this problem really is relevant to you. Doing this will help us to perform several manipulations:
- Cover your mouth and nose with your palm, and then take a deep breath. If you smell unpleasantly from your mouth, you will definitely feel it.
- You can lick your own wrist, then wait five seconds and sniff. So you unmistakably determine what flavor the people around you feel. More precisely, it will be the smell coming from the front of your tongue.
- In order to find out what flavor comes from the back of the tongue, you can use this method. Armed with a spoon and a little scratch it with the appropriate area. Manipulation is not pleasant, but it allows you to accurately determine whether there is a smell.
So, if you examined yourself for breath freshness and came to a disappointing conclusion, then it's time to study the recommendations for eliminating this problem.
Since the problem of an unpleasant smell from the oral cavity, the cause of which is the use of onions or garlic, is far from new, special preparations have appeared on the market for a long time. It can be both spray and chewy plates. Today, in stores and pharmacies, they are presented in a fairly wide range. However, in order to effectively remove the smell of garlic from the mouth, carefully read the information on the packaging of the drug on the subject of exactly what "flavors" it neutralizes.
This method is perhaps the easiest. The smell of garlic can be removed by thoroughly cleaning the teeth and using dental floss after you have eaten the dish that contains this vegetable. The paste will help breath freshening, and dental floss will help get rid of pieces of the product stuck in the teeth. If you can not brush your teeth, you can rinse your mouth with plain clean water. You can add a little soda or salt. This mixture is very effective in removing the unpleasant smell of garlic from the skin of the hands.
Use fragrant herbs
One of the effective ways to tackle the question of how to remove the smell of garlic from the mouth is to use dill leaves or parsley. They need a little chew. In addition to eliminating unpleasant odors, these herbs destroy harmful bacteria in the mouth and help protect our gums. Chew leaflets should be carefully and without haste. After that, some time should refrain from the use of liquid. In addition to the leaves, you can chew calamus root or parsley.
Nuts and apples
A good handful in the fight against the smell of garlic is a small handful of walnuts or pine nuts, as well as almonds. Eat these foods immediately after a meal. Identical effect on our breath also have grains of cardamom and nutmeg. These products destroy harmful bacteria and prevent the development of putrefactive processes in the oral cavity. The same effect has the use of apples. All listed products are high in phenols. This allows them to limit the breeding process of bacteria, resulting in a reduced garlic flavor. Polyphenols contribute to the oxidation of sulfur compounds contained in this vegetable, and reduce gas production. All together it helps reduce bad breath. However, keep in mind that products containing polyphenols have the greatest effect when used together with garlic.
Lemons, oranges and other citrus fruits are a very effective way to combat “garlic” breath. After eating, it is enough to eat a slice, for example, lemon, and for a while you can forget about the unpleasant "flavor". Some people even resort to a little trick, carrying citrus halves with them in a plastic container. By the way, those who, by the nature of their activity, often have to speak to an audience, often resort to such a reception. After all, lemon not only fights odor, but also relieves dry mouth.
Mint in all forms
Kill the smell of garlic will mint. This can be either mint tea or gum based on this product (by the way, it will not only refresh your breath, but also remove food debris, which will prolong the effect). In addition, commercially available mint tablets also help eliminate the unpleasant "flavor" of garlic.
Why does an unpleasant smell occur?
After garlic enters the oral cavity, when interacting with saliva, allicin, a sulfur-containing substance, is strongly released, extremely beneficial in its spectrum to the human body, but a source of unpleasant amber from the mouth.
When crushed garlic is in the stomach, when it interacts with gastric juice, allylmethylsulfide gas is released. The latter, getting into the bloodstream, rushes to the lungs, then into the larynx and the oral cavity. The gas can also be released through the pores, as a result of which the whole body begins to smell of garlic.
The smallest particles of fragrant root can penetrate and firmly stuck in the space under the nails and the smallest cracks on the palms and kitchen surfaces. Again, the same allicin, in contact with the air and the environment, provokes the preservation of a stable garlic odor for a long time.
The strongest flavor gives fresh chopped garlic. The plant, thermally processed (boiled, stewed, fried, baked), does not give such a bright and rich flavor. Also, a clove of garlic, swallowed almost entirely, will not contribute to the appearance of an unpleasant "plume", but do not do that.
What can eliminate odor?
It is extremely difficult to get rid of the smell completely: the molecules of chemical compounds and essential oils of the product interact with the skin of the hands, the oral mucosa in seconds. Yes, and chemical processes in the digestive tract contribute to the release of an unpleasant odor. Rather, it will be possible only to muffle the persistent aroma of the spice, but by applying several ways to neutralize it at the same time, one can hope that the garlic “train” will be almost imperceptible.
- Apples are able to almost completely kill the unpleasant smell due to the phenols in their composition, which actively enter into a chemical reaction with eroi and suppress it.
- Citrus fruits (lemon, orange, tangerine, grapefruit, lime) have a similar effect and neutralization method.
- Cheese in its composition contain fats that reduce the acidity of food and restore the pH balance.
- Greens (parsley, spinach, lettuce, basil, cilantro, rosemary, mint).
- Coffee beans, cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, coriander.
- Any nuts.
- Dried fruits (prunes, dried apricots).
- Marinated or fresh ginger.
- To prevent persistent garlic odor from the mouth, you can resort to the help of milk drinks: calcium in milk (yoghurt, kefir, ryazhenka, yogurt) neutralizes vigorous aroma, reducing the concentration of hydrogen sulfide gases.
- Black and green tea copes with bad breath, including after eating garlic. These drinks successfully neutralize the sulfur compounds secreted by garlic. To enhance the effect, you can add a little mint, ginger or lemon.
- Apple vinegar also help to cope with the "flavor" of garlic: 1 tablespoon of vinegar dissolved in a glass of water. You can drink the liquid before, during and after meals. But it is not recommended to use such a solution to those people who suffer from diseases of the gastrointestinal tract.
- Drink during or after meals. cranberry juicebeing an excellent antioxidant. Another of his positive properties: he is able to neutralize any unpleasant odor.
- Water, drunk during or after a meal, can stimulate the production of saliva, which will wash away the remnants of hot spices from the surface of teeth, tongue, cheeks.
- In the fight for clean breath after garlic dishes plays an indispensable role Toothpastebut, oddly enough, it is better if it is not mint, but, for example, fruit or propolis. Immediately after eating, you should carefully brush your teeth, paying special attention to the surface of the tongue and the inner sides of the cheeks: the plant fibers can remain on the mucous membrane for a long time.
- Mouthwash or mouth freshener subject to the presence of special notes that these funds are able to cope with the garlic aroma, or contain chlorhexidine, cetyl peride chloride.
- Solution soda able to get rid of this problem. After eating it is enough to rinse the mouth with a soda solution (1 teaspoon of baking soda for 1 cup of drinking water).
After eating a meal
- It is appropriate to complete the meal with a glass of clean drinking water.
- Another way: chew a handful of nuts (walnut, cedar, almond) for 2 minutes, then spit out. Repeat this procedure three times. Instead of nuts, you can eat garlic with such spices: cloves, cinnamon, coriander, cardamom.
- The most quickly and effectively get rid of garlic smell will help the use of special rinses or fresheners for the oral cavity. If they are not at hand, you can rinse your mouth with soda, chew mint leaves, parsley or a small amount of coffee beans.
During the meal
- During the meal, seasoned with garlic, you should drink water swallowed with water, water with apple cider vinegar, cranberry juice.
- Meals should be eaten with white or gray bread, which “absorbs” the garlic flavor.
- Parallel consumption of salad from "watery" vegetables: cucumbers, tomatoes will have a positive effect. It is better if in large quantities will be present greens and parsley root, spinach, lettuce, basil, rosemary.
- For dessert, after a “garlic” lunch or dinner, it is advisable to eat citrus fruit salad with mint and dried fruits (prunes), drink a black or green hour with lemon, you can drink roasted coffee and eat some cheese.
If you need to neutralize the smell quickly and urgently
In case of an emergency, you should act in a complex:
- Clean the mouth of the remnants of food: rinse with water or soda solution, a special rinse, brush your teeth with toothpaste.
- Use a dental floss that, after simple manipulations, will remove all the microparticles of garlic stuck in the interdental space. Ignoring the cleaning with dental floss, the persistent smell of garlic from the mouth is unlikely to get rid of.
- Use the spray to freshen breath or chew coffee beans, mint, sprig of parsley.
- You can use chewing gum, but it should be chewed constantly. It is better if it contains natural essential oils. The best option is chewing gum with mint or cinnamon flavor.
We remove the smell on the hands and nails
So that you don’t have to ask such a question and spend your time looking for a solution to this problem, it’s enough to simply put on disposable gloves before starting to work on cleaning and chopping garlic. But if they are not at hand, you will have to use one of the following tips.
Salt (during the first three minutes after completion of cooking)
- Take a handful of cooking salt.
- “Wash” her slightly damp hands.
- Wash salt with cool water.
- Wash hands thoroughly with soap (liquid dishwashing detergent can be used). Special attention when soaping should be paid to the nail plate.
- Wash off with plenty of running water.
- Rub your palms and fingers with lemon slices, lemon peel.
With the help of dry mustard
- Prepare dry mustard: its amount depends on the volume of dishes that need to get rid of the smell of garlic.
- Grate slightly wet mustard containers.
- Leave for 15 minutes.
- Wash off the spice under running water.
- Bring water solution of soda: 20 g of soda in 90 ml of water.
- Wash out the refrigerator wall with this solution.
- Pour a handful of soda into an open container and put it on one of the shelves.
- It is necessary to change soda once a month.
Armed with a number of the above recommendations, you can kill the smell of garlic easily and simply. Therefore, you can safely please yourself with another gastronomic delight, especially in the autumn-winter period. Be healthy!
Causes of a peculiar aroma
First, let's look at what this phenomenon is, why after a person has eaten garlic or onions, it smells from the mouth, and for what reason the smell spreads even in the apartment. An unpleasant odor occurs due to sulfur-containing compounds in the product.. Getting into the oral cavity, these substances cause reactions that lead to the appearance of an undesired "flavor".
This smell can last for a very long time: according to the research of scientists on the question of how much a peculiar smell from the mouth keeps after eating garlic, it can last up to 48 hours, if, of course, no measures are taken to eliminate it. By the way, brushing your teeth does not always help to completely get rid of the smell of garlic: after all, it is not caused by particles of the product stuck between the teeth and in the mouth, but a chemical reaction, as a result of which smell and breath appear.
Raw garlic causes the most persistent "flavor". When cooked, garlic causes far less damage to breath freshness.
We recommend to watch the video about the causes of the smell of garlic from the mouth:
What can seize, so as not to smell from the mouth?
Fortunately, there are a number of products and substances that effectively eliminate the result of a chemical reaction and, as a result, the smell from the mouth. Many of them are often referred to as “folk remedies” to combat the unpleasant odor of the mouth. Let's start by listing products that can be useful for getting rid of an unpleasant smell, tell you how to eat them, so that after eating garlic there is no characteristic amber from the mouth.
- Apples. They are one of the most effective ways to neutralize the smell of garlic. And this is no accident: according to scientists, apples contain special substances - phenols, which, reacting with sulfur-containing compounds in garlic, neutralize unpleasant odor molecules. Therefore, it is enough to eat a fresh green apple after a dish richly flavored with garlic, so that later it does not smell from the mouth.
- Citrus. A similar effect, based on the interaction of phenols and substances contained in garlic, have all sorts of citrus fruits - orange, lemon, grapefruit.
- Cheese. To combat the unpleasant smell, cheeses will also fit, as they contain fats, which reduce the acidity of food and restore pH balance.
- Greenery. The most effective fighter with bad breath here is spinach or lettuce. If you do not have fresh lettuce on hand, you can replace them with other herbs - basil, parsley, rosemary. By the way, chewing a sprig of parsley, you also clear the sky, on which there are pieces of garlic.
- Mint. Rosmarinic acid, contained in mint, has a large amount of phenols, which makes mint the most effective fighter with an unpleasant smell after eating garlic.Therefore, you can keep a few fresh mint leaves with you and not be afraid to lean on appetizing spicy snacks with garlic gravy at home or in public places.
- Coffee beans. Ordinary coffee beans will help to eliminate the smell of garlic, if you gnaw and eat 2-3 pieces. The main thing is to do it slowly and carefully. By the way, fennel or cardamom seeds are also fighters with an unpleasant smell, although it is still much easier to find coffee beans.
We recommend to watch a video about products to eliminate the smell of garlic from the mouth:
What drinks and how to kill the amber after eating?
- Milk. Of all that helps to neutralize the smell from the mouth after dishes with garlic, the very first and surest means is to drink a glass of milk. This also applies to dairy products - yoghurt, ryazhenka, yogurt and kefir. Substances contained in dairy products quickly reduce the concentration of hydrogen sulfide gases.
- Apple vinegar. A spoonful of apple cider vinegar, dissolved in a glass of warm water, can eliminate the unpleasant smell. A glass of water with vinegar can be drunk as before a meal containing garlic, and after. However, this method is not for everyone: in case of problems with acidity, the use of water with vinegar, of course, will relieve the smell, but in return will provide a visit to a gastroenterologist. Therefore, before applying this method, it is better to consult a doctor.
- Green tea. A cup of green tea, drunk after lunch with garlic, helps to completely neutralize the unpleasant smell from the mouth. The most effective tool will be green tea with the addition of mint.
- Water. Having washed down the food with one or two glasses of water, you will remove garlic residues from the oral cavity. In addition, water stimulates the production of saliva, which will clear the mouth of the smallest particles of garlic, provoking chemical reactions and the appearance of an unpleasant odor. But it is still better to combine this method with any other.
How to neutralize chemicals?
Now about what modern chemotherapy drugs can kill unpleasant garlic smell from the mouth, and how to use them for this.
- Mouthwash. A rinse with a strong aroma (for example, peppermint or oak bark) will be effective in combating an unpleasant odor. The label should indicate that the rinse is suitable for eliminating the smell of garlic. The same applies to all sorts of sprays that freshen breath: but the rinse is more effective in this case due to the fact that it washes away the garlic particles from the gums and teeth, helping to clean the mouth of food from the remnants of food.
- Baking soda and salt. One of the popular folk recipes is to make a liquid paste of salt, soda and water, and then rinse it with your mouth.
- Chlorophyll tablets or capsules. This method of dealing with the unpleasant effects of eating garlic is very popular abroad. How to use them to bring down an unpleasant smell? It is enough to take 2-3 tablets during the feast.
Step-by-step instructions on how to effectively drown out or eliminate garlic spirit
Let us analyze step by step how to prevent unpleasant smell of garlic from the mouth before and after meals.
- Before taking garlic. Eat a green apple, it will reduce the effect of a chemical reaction, which results in a smell. If you have a choice of how to cook garlic - boil it or stew it with the dish, the most “fragrant” is raw garlic. Garlic, cut into pieces, causes a stronger unpleasant odor, so if you eat garlic for prevention, eat a whole lobule.
- During the meal. Drink 1-2 glasses of water, wash down it with dishes containing garlic. Eat more vegetables and fruits that contain a lot of water (tomatoes, cucumbers), lettuce, citrus fruits.
- After eating garlic. Brush your teeth and tongue thoroughly to remove food particles, rinse your mouth with a special balm, warm water with mint or soda paste (the recipe is described above). Drink a cup of green tea with mint or eat a few mint leaves, if green tea and mint are not at hand, coffee beans will do.
What if you remove it urgently?
How to bring down the garlic smell from the mouth in an emergency? In this case, it is better to carry around with a spray for cleaning the mouth or a balm for rinsing the mouth. In any case, you must first clean the mouth of the remnants of food (brushing your teeth, rinsing balm, water and a sprig of parsley), and then eat something that can eliminate the remnants of the smell of mint, coffee grains.
How to get out of hand?
The smell of garlic on hand after cooking can be a problem for the hostess. There are ways to remove the unpleasant odor.
- To quickly remove the smell, you can wash your hands using the same paste with soda and salt, as described above.
- You can also clean your hands with lemon juice or wash them with milk.
- Another true popular recipe for how to kill the smell is to pick up the knife with the point (the main thing is to do it carefully) and hold it for a minute under cold water: the molecules of steel, interacting with the molecules of garlic, neutralize the smell.
- And the simplest option would be to buy liquid hand soap with a note that the liquid neutralizes odors.
Why does intact garlic hardly smell?
Probably everyone is familiar with this phenomenon: the whole tooth hardly spreads a specific smell around itself. However, one has only to incise or bite it, and the fragrance spreads throughout the house. What is the reason for such a bright effect?
It's all about the special substance - allicin contained in garlic. After cell damage as a result of an incision or other damage, a chemical reaction begins, based on the combination of two substances, before being isolated from each other. Destroyed vacuoles open the way for their interaction, as a result of the reaction a specific smell is emitted.
Thanks to allicin, garlic has received a natural means of protection from rodents and fungi. About the properties of garlic to destroy bacteria and fungi, humanity became known for a long time. Protection of this vegetable from damage, provided by nature, has allowed a person to turn the healing qualities to his benefit.
How does garlic smell form? Education mechanism
If even with minimal damage the clove smells strongly, then when chopping garlic in a meat grinder or in a garlic press, the aroma becomes even more powerful.
The destruction of the structure of garlic cells leads to the combination of the following chemicals:
They are initially contained in one cell, but are isolated from each other by a special membrane. Alliin is contained in the cellular cytoplasm, alliinase - in the vacuoles of this cell. When the membrane is destroyed, the enzyme combines with an amino acid. The result of this reaction is the release of allicin, containing about 70 compounds containing hydrogen sulfide.
The benefits of allicin for human health is undeniable. Almost all the healing properties associated with the presence of garlic in this chemical compound. Those who do not know how to remove the smell of garlic from the mouth, and try to swallow it whole, make a mistake. An intact clove that does not contain allicin is devoid of all beneficial properties.
What determines the persistence of garlic flavor?
Allicin - an unstable compound, it is destroyed, barely formed. That is why to preserve the flavor and beneficial properties of garlic is not subjected to heating and frying, added to food only at the end of cooking. Marinating garlic with whole slices in the composition of the blanks completely deprives it of its bactericidal properties.
During long-term storage, hydrogen sulfide compounds evaporate from the garlic heads. The most fragrant garlic is that which is harvested not so long ago. After winter storage in this product no more than 5% of biologically active substances remain, from which allicin is formed.
How to get rid of the smell of garlic from the mouth quickly and effectively
There are many ways to remove the smell of garlic from the mouth. In fact, to remove the odor, it is necessary to neutralize those same 70 sulfur-containing ether compounds. Enzymes of the human digestive system are not able to break down allicin, forcing others to endure the persistent odor of garlic lovers.
Warning: the smell comes not only from the mouth or from the digestive tract!
skin (with sweat),
How to neutralize or at least reduce obsessive unpleasant odor?
5 categories of products that eliminate garlic odor
The easiest way to get rid of the smell of garlic from your mouth is to include your favorite product in salads, then seizing it with fruit, nuts, or chewing coffee.
The best products to neutralize the smell:
Fruit - apricots, grapes, peaches, pears, prunes, cherries, plums, apples,
Vegetables - lettuce, eggplant, parsley root, potatoes,
Greens - bay leaf, rosemary, spinach, basil, dill, parsley leaves,
Hard fruits - cinnamon sticks, coffee beans, nutmeg and walnut, almonds, hazelnuts, cardamom.
The main property of the above vegetables and fruits is the ability to oxidize rapidly. The darkening of their pulp after cutting or peeling is a vivid illustration of a chemical oxidation reaction. Essential compounds of allicin are oxidized in the same way, so the smell disappears.
Nuts - recognized neutralizers of many smells, up to the aroma of alcohol. The leaders are walnut and nutmeg. You do not know how to remove the smell of garlic from your mouth - chew bay leaf, nutmeg, coffee beans.
7 drinks that remove garlic smell
Some drinks will help to quickly and effectively get rid of the unpleasant smell. Essential derivatives of allicin are fat soluble chemical compounds. Simultaneous passage through the digestive tract of garlic and milk dissolves allicin in milk fat, binding it and preventing volatilization.
Warning: milk will quickly eliminate the smell of garlic from the mouth! Before taking food containing garlic, you need to drink 200 ml of milk to bind essential compounds with a strong odor.
Garlic Flavor Drinks:
Green tea, phenols and antioxidants that freshen breath,
Sour fruit juices (with a ph index of less than 3.60) - lime, lemon, cranberry, grapefruit juice.
The acidity index is important, as acidic fruits stimulate bile formation, digestion of food and elimination of undigested waste products. Fruit acids increase the secretion of saliva, which washes the oral cavity, thereby accelerating the removal of odor from the mouth.
For emergency breath freshening, 200 ml of fenugreek infusion is prepared and quickly drunk. Infusion is prepared for a quarter of an hour in a water bath of 500 ml of water and 1 tsp. seed of this plant.
We remove the smell of garlic using 5 hygiene procedures
There are several simple ways to get rid of the smell of garlic from your mouth after eating dishes that are richly flavored with this spicy product.
Teeth cleaning with toothpaste
Removing food between teeth with dental floss,
Rinsing the oral cavity with an antibacterial agent (containing chlorhexidine, cetylpyrinidium chloride),
Cleaning the tongue with a special scraper,
Use finally irrigator to clean the mouth.
If it is impossible to hold these events for any reason, rinsing the mouth with a solution of salt and baking soda will help to remove the smell. Rinsing this mixture of dishes and hands will have a similar effect.
4 extras to hide the smell of garlic
There are some more effective and simple tools for those who do not know how to remove the smell of garlic from the mouth:
If you chew lemon peel or a leaf of mint, you can get rid of the obsessive smell for a while. For the same purpose, they use chewing gum flavored with mint, cinnamon, lemon. Means "Antipolitsay" helps not only to eliminate alcohol fumes, but also to reduce the smell of garlic. Rinsing the mouth with alcohol-containing tinctures, on the contrary, will enhance the unpleasant aroma.
A crucial approach to solving the problem will help the use of activated carbon. It can reduce the excretion of allicin derivatives by the kidneys, lungs and skin. The optimal dose is 2-6 tablets depending on body weight.
How to get rid of the smell of garlic on the hair?
Some medical masks for hair include garlic. The following methods will help to eliminate its odor left after washing off the mask:
Rinsing hair with lemon juice - 2 tbsp. Juice in 1 liter of water
Rinsing hair with apple cider vinegar - 250 ml of vinegar per 1 liter of water,
Rinsing with mustard hair - 1 tbsp. Mustard powder in 1 liter of water,
Applying to wet hair 5-8 drops of lavender essential oil, rose, mandarin.
The most effective means with essential oils and apple cider vinegar.
If, despite all efforts, the smell of garlic is felt the next day, the procedure should be repeated. It is recommended to include in the breakfast products to neutralize the smell, drink milk or green tea.
Education: A diploma in medicine and treatment was obtained at the NI Pirogov University (2005 and 2006). Advanced training at the Department of Phytotherapy at the Moscow University of Peoples' Friendship (2008).
Why does garlic smell from the mouth?
The composition of garlic includes bactericidal compounds, zinc and selenium, as well as sulfur compounds, the transformation of which in the process of digestion and gives a characteristic smell. When garlic begins to digest, and its components enter the bloodstream, our body begins to smell like garlic notes, and regular use of garlic in large portions leads to a change in the natural flavor of the skin.
It is interesting that the smell comes not only from the mouth. The decay products leave the body when breathing, so caustic ingredients such as garlic, onions, oriental spices are recommended to eat in your free time when you do not plan to go to people.
In the table etiquette of many cultures, there are rules according to which spicy dishes are served at a common table, and if you order something separately, the use of fragrant seasonings is considered to be a bad tone towards companions who have not eaten spices. For a person who has garlic in his blood (this also applies to other seasonings), your smell will not be noticeable, but for those who have not eaten garlic, the difference will be very noticeable.
Much determines the smell from the mouth. Food microparticles that remain in the mouth, get stuck between the papillae of the tongue and in the dental crevices provoke the development of bacteria, the formation of plaque on the teeth and an unpleasant smell. Normally, after eating the mouth must be rinsed. But fortunately, even in situations where there is no opportunity to carry out hygienic procedures, you can get out of the situation with improvised means.
How to kill the smell of garlic with other products
If you urgently need to meet someone after dinner with fragrant dishes - as an emergency tool is recommended to chew a few sprigs of greenery. After that, you must rinse your mouth, because such products have a coloring effect, and can also get stuck between your teeth. To avoid embarrassment, do not forget to look in the mirror after such “rehabilitation procedures”.
How to cook garlic so that it does not leave a smell
If you do not want to exclude healthy spice from the diet, remember a few tricks to cook delicious garlic and not worry about the "fume."
- To cook with garlic correctly, choose sour combinations: with tomatoes, grapefruit, lime. Sweet and protein components, on the contrary, increase the smell of garlic in dishes.
- Thermally processed or dried garlic is less intense and does not leave a pungent odor on the skin and in the exhale.
- В салатах чеснок сочетают с петрушкой, базиликом и укропом, а в горячих блюдах — с молочным или томатным соусом, крупами и картофелем.
На нашей кухне можно найти массу полезных продуктов, которые помогают избавиться от неприятных запахов. Basically, these are components based on refreshing essential oils, which are contained in spices. The most famous fighters for fresh breath are coffee beans, citrus peel (lemon, grapefruit, orange, tangerine), mint leaves, cardamom. Also, the task will cope with fennel seeds, anise and fennel. To get rid of the smell from the mouth, you need to chew a little zest, fresh leaves or dry grains of the listed products.
Tea leaves will help to quickly remove the decay products from the body and eliminate the unpleasant odor. A more effective tool will be green raw materials, which retain their natural antioxidants, but black tea will do as well. Enough to chew a few leaves to get a bad breath. You can make tea to rinse your mouth. Mixed with bergamot, jasmine, melissa, lemon and classical tea leaves.
Hot drinking helps in three ways at once:
- A copious amount of liquid helps flush the mouth of food debris and garlic juice.
- Hot temperatures accelerate the breakdown of odorous compounds. And from a radical point of view, it accelerates cellular metabolism in the mucous membrane of the tongue, eliminating cells soaked in garlic juice. Of course, this does not mean that to combat the smell of garlic you need to drink boiling water, be careful.
- Tea or fruit tea leaves neutralize the unpleasant aroma of garlic.
To effectively eliminate the smell of garlic, you need not just rinse your mouth, but also brush your tongue and teeth. Dental floss and oral conditioner based on medicinal herbs or a fresh breath spray can help. You can use a toothbrush with a rubber nozzle to eliminate plaque from the tongue.
Another effective remedy is chewing gum. It stimulates salivation, due to which the mouth cavity is cleared more naturally. In addition, chewing gum helps eliminate plaque, absorbs some of the unpleasant odor, and refreshes exhalation. In extreme cases, the same effect can be achieved with the help of herbal or menthol candy.
Interesting fact: oddly enough, sour chewing candies more effectively eliminate garlic fume than mint chewing gum. Menthol gum only superficially mask the smell, but ascorbic candy can quickly restore the acid-base balance.
How to remove the smell of garlic from the fingers
If, after cooking with garlic, your hands smell unpleasantly, the proposed products can also be used to clean your hands: lemon juice, green tea or coffee dripped onto your skin quickly eliminate many odors. You can rub citrus zest or fennel seeds in your fingers, other essential herbs can also help to muffle the garlic smell - chamomile, tea tree oil, lavender.
Infusions with lemon, anise and green tea do the dishes after fragrant spices are contained in it. Also, lemon or cumin is used to neutralize the smell of garlic in food, when seasoning is used only for pickling and preserving products.
If shelves or a refrigerator are smelled with garlic, you can live there in an open form of zest, tea or rice, these products take in smells and deodorize the space.
Useful tips on how to get rid of the smell of garlic
To summarize the above, a selection of tips on how to avoid bad breath after eating garlic:
- Eat garlic with cereals or potatoes, as well as dairy products. Complex carbohydrates and components of milk will reduce the intensity of the smell of seasoning.
Attention: if the breath is constantly smelling of garlic, then as a person does not eat it, it may indicate a hormonal disorder and the presence of the disease. It is worth to consult a doctor and get tested!
The proposed recommendations are applicable not only to garlic. They can quickly refresh their breath in the morning, for example, if you didn’t spend the night at home and you don’t have the opportunity to brush your teeth.
The smell of garlic is due to the presence of allicin in its composition. It is released when the cell wall of a plant bulb is destroyed. Ether enters the airways when chewing, where it settles.
The reason why the smell from the mouth appears when allicin settles in the lungs is the transition of the trachea to the larynx. Thus, from the respiratory system, volatile matter rises into the oral cavity.
Since allicin is absorbed into the blood, it spreads throughout the body. This explains the presence of the characteristic stench, not only from the mouth, but also from the skin. Also, the ether goes with the secret of sweat glands, changing its characteristic smell to garlic acrid "aroma."
Despite the use of allicin, unpleasant consequences stop people from eating garlic in a public place or before leaving the house.
Ways to eliminate the smell of garlic
In search of an answer to the question of how to remove the smell of garlic from the mouth, people resort to a variety of methods. These are hygienic procedures, food, pharmaceutical and folk remedies. When treating wild garlic, it is usually not a problem to get rid of this symptom. In the stem of the plant there is no such amount of ether as in its bulb, so the smell disappears faster.
How to kill the smell of garlic with other foods and drinks
It is enough to use the following products that neutralize the ester of garlic. This is not very convenient, because far from everyone carries them with them.
- Fruits rich in acids (citrus, kiwi, green apples) - acids bind to ether and change its structure.
- Spices (parsley, cilantro, dill, basil, peppermint) - quickly interrupt the garlic flavor with its own, if you chew the grass to a state of gruel.
- Seeds (sunflower, pumpkin) and nuts (peanuts, hazelnuts, nutmeg, walnuts, almonds) - after their use, unpleasant manifestations will remain, but they will not be so sharp.
- Drinks (cola, coffee) - neutralize the air. Also help hot tea or cocoa, which act at the expense of temperature.
There is garlic and do not close after dinner at home is quite possible.
When expanding the list of dishes used with fragrant spice, it is worthwhile to choose a menu so that it contains products that neutralize allicin.
Video: Products that help get rid of the smell of garlic.
Modern drugs and oral care products have appeared not so long ago, and the problem of garlic odor has been troubling people since ancient times. Therefore, popular ways of dealing with it were discovered:
- peppermint leaves - to achieve the effect you need to chew and hold in the mouth for 1-2 minutes,
- activated charcoal (from 3 to 5 tablets) - helps to get rid of the garlic odor from the mouth, neutralizing it even in the stomach,
- citrus peel - helps fight off the flavor of garlic due to the high concentration of its own volatile esters,
- Herbal and spice tinctures (bay leaf, dill, basil, spinach, rosemary, calamus root) - have an unpleasant taste, but effectively eliminate the haunting aroma,
- coffee beans or cardamom - they need to be gnawed for maximum effect.
The action of folk remedies tested for centuries. But they will not suit fans of progress and modern methods, since they often imply non-standard use of familiar products.
The most effective means
The smell of garlic is perfectly neutralized by chewing gum with peppermint flavor. This is a compact tool, the use of which does not imply the presence of a sink in the toilet or privacy. Chewing gum allows you to get rid of the smell of garlic from your mouth quickly, while you will not emanate a mixture of different flavors, which happens in the case of using coffee or citrus.
To obtain the desired effect, it is enough to chew it for 3-5 minutes. Longer use is not required.
To get rid of the unpleasant aroma, everyone can choose a product that suits him. For fans of natural food suitable and popular recipes. Fans of progress will appreciate the drugs and gum. Doctors advise not to neglect oral hygiene and monitor the status of the gastrointestinal tract.
In addition to the article, we would like to add a thought from ourselves. If there are no official meetings at which important issues for you will be solved, all methods above can be neglected. The smell of garlic is not the worst. In various diseases of the oral cavity and in people who do not follow the hygiene, smell from the mouth is much less pleasant. And there are a lot of such people everywhere. Yes, I ate garlic, it is delicious, and you have to go to the dentist!
How to remove the smell of garlic from the mouth? We offer several proven methods:
- Use toothpaste, rinse or breath freshener. But it is advisable to choose products designed specifically to eliminate unpleasant odors from the oral cavity. But It is worth noting that, most likely, after a while the garlic will once again remind you to know, so cleaning, irrigation or rinsing will have to be repeated periodically. And if you need to leave, it is advisable to use a spray-freshener.
- Think of herbs, most of them contain essential oils that do a great job with smells. So you can just after eating a meal with the content of garlic to chew a few leaves of parsley, basil or other greens.
- Use ginger, it also has a pleasant spicy smell, which quickly wins garlic. Moreover, it is desirable to use either fresh ginger or pickled. If you choose the first option, then cut a thin slice from the root and chew it well, then rinse your mouth to get rid of bitterness.
- Use the power of citrus, they also contain aromatic essential oils. You can simply eat, for example, grapefruit, orange or tangerine. You can also chew a slice of lemon. Rinsing with citrus juice will also help. But most oils are found in the peel, so just chew a few skins of orange or lemon.
- To cope with an unpleasant smell will help nuts, which, firstly, when chewing remove garlic residues from the mouth, and secondly, contain oil. Just eat a handful of nuts, but be sure to chew them well. Then repeat the procedure (you can even a couple of times). Ideal for such purposes is suitable walnut, but suitable and pine or almonds.
- You can use seasonings and spices that have bright flavors. Try chewing some cinnamon, but then rinse your mouth thoroughly. You can also use cloves or cardamom. But all this must be carefully chewed, and not just dissolve or eat.
- Mustard will help. In a glass of warm water, dissolve half a teaspoon of mustard powder and rinse your mouth for five to seven minutes. The smell of garlic should be almost imperceptible.
- Effective and already well known to many neutralizers of any odors from the mouth is coffee, it will help get rid of even the strong “amber”. But only natural grain will do, as there are almost no essential oils in soluble, and they will act. So chew a few coffee beans for five to ten minutes.
- Milk can help. Just drink a glass after eating. But try to hold it for a long time in your mouth or even rinse the cavity. You can also try to use another dairy product - butter. Take a piece and dissolve it. Not very nice, but very effective.
- Use a chewing gum with a refreshing effect. But finally it will not save you from the “flavor”, but only help you to forget about it for 20-30 minutes. Then chew will need to continue if the smell will disturb you.
- Try to eat a serving of sour berries. Acids contained in them, at least partially removed from the mouth cavity of a substance that emits an unpleasant pungent odor.
- If you have no condiments and spices at home except bay leaf, you can use it. Just carefully chew one leaf. You can also make a decoction, pour a glass of boiling water with 5-7 leaves and let it brew. Cool it and rinse your mouth.
- You can chew some fresh peppermint leaves.
- Try to rinse your mouth with a solution of salt and soda (a teaspoon of this and another product for one glass of warm water).
How to get rid of the smell of garlic, if it comes from the hands after cooking?
- Just wash your hands well. Some advise to use soap for this, but it contains alkali and can have a negative effect on the skin of the hands. You can use products with a bright and strong aroma, such as shower gel, dish detergent or shampoo. But there are special detergents for hands, designed specifically to neutralize unpleasant odors.
- To quickly remove the "flavor", you can again use citrus fruits. Try to squeeze the lemon juice and literally hold the palms in it for a minute, then rinse them with water and grease them with a fat cream (citric acid dries the skin, so it will need moisturizing).
- Salt or soda can be used. Moisten your hands with warm water and rub them with salt or soda. These products have excellent adsorbing properties, that is, they literally draw out odorous substances and absorb them into themselves. You can also use soda or saline (a tablespoon per glass of water) or a combination product prepared from one and a half glasses of warm water, a teaspoon of soda and the same amount of salt.
- Use mustard solution for rinsing your hands. In a glass of warm water, dissolve a tablespoon of mustard and keep your hands in the tool a little.
- If you prefer folk remedies, then try to rub your hands with vegetable oil. But it is better to use almond, nut or coconut, rather than the usual sunflower.
- Rub your palms with a stainless steel spoon or knife. You can also hold the knife blade between your hands and place them under a stream of cold water for a few minutes. The smell should disappear.
- Remember in the hands of a few bunches of parsley or basil. You can knead mint leaves.
- To the smell did not appear, you can work with garlic in thick rubber gloves.
Use one of the above tips to effectively and quickly eliminate the smell of garlic!