Gardenia rooting or jasmine - one of the most beautiful indoor plants. But if gardenia settles on the windowsill, care at home should be permanent and very attentive.
In nature, this culture forms large shrubs or even trees. During flowering, they distribute a magnificent fragrance for many meters around, and the most lush peonies and roses can envy the flowers of gardenias.
The first stories about the wonderful gardenia that adorn the chambers of the Chinese emperors belong to the Song Dynasty, which existed about a thousand years ago. Although in the palace gardenia could prove themselves fully, even then gardeners tried to achieve the most lush flowering, preventing the growth of the crown. So gardenias have become spectacular miniature bonsai. In Europe, where culture first appeared in the second half of the 18th century, it was also limited in growth by cutting and shaping the crown.
How to care for gardenia at home? This question is haunting and modern flower growers, who decided to decorate their collection with an amazing, but whimsical flower.
Today, in addition to these techniques, flower growers are available specially bred room varieties. These plants are relatively small in size, and care for the garden in terms of pruning is a little easier, but still the culture does not cease to be demanding and difficult to grow.
Conditions of detention and especially care for the room garden at home
The decorative species originally from Southeast Asia in nature prefers to live in a warm environment, needs acidified, aerated soils, loves the sun, but in the afternoon it may suffer from too bright rays.
The optimal location of pots with gardenias is windows facing south or west. However, in the first case, especially in the summer, the plant will have to be covered from the scorching rays. In winter, gardenia is not limited in "sunbathing", on the contrary, put on the sunniest places.
Like many evergreen species, room gardenia has its own range of temperatures that are comfortable for growth and flowering:
- In summer, during the daytime, the air in the room can warm up to 21–24 ° C, and at night it can cool slightly to 15–18 ° C.
- In winter, the care of a gardenia flower at home changes and the temperature in the room drops to 16 ° C. Minimally allowed to cool the room to 10 ° C.
It is possible to maintain the temperatures necessary for the plant by airing, but at the same time the flower should not be allowed to enter under jets of cold air. This will adversely affect the formation of buds, and in some cases, gardenia just throws off the existing flowers, and flower buds dry out.
The same unpleasant effect can be observed if the room is not damp enough and hot. To saturate the air near the plant with water vapor, you can use household appliances or put the pot in a pan with wet clay, so that the roots do not have direct contact with water.
To maintain the health and freshness of foliage:
- use regular irrigation of the crown with warm filtered water,
- wipe the sheet plates with a damp cloth,
- when caring for gardenia, they arrange a warm shower for her, not allowing the substrate to get wet in the pot.
Watering and fertilizing gardenia at home care
In spring and summer, the soil is kept moist, but does not allow moisture to accumulate in the pan under the pot. This mode of watering helps gardenia maintain strength during the active growing season and flowering. In the cold season, watering is reduced. This is caused by the almost complete cessation of flower growth and a decrease in its need for moisture. If you do not take into account this peculiarity of the plant at home when caring for your room garden, there is a risk of losing the flower due to rotting of the peripheral roots and the spread of infection.
Since gardenia feels well in acidified soil, a small amount of citric acid can be added to irrigation water from time to time. Just a few drops per liter of warm distilled water will improve the absorption of nutrients from the soil.
It is more convenient and more rational to use complex mixtures and means for blooming azaleas, like gardenias. Such dressings are carried out according to the instructions for the specific tool. But along with the replenishment of the nutrient composition of the soil for gardenia, it is useful to arrange weekly foliar nutrition with microelements. Even in winter, the plant would benefit from such a procedure when it detects signs of chlorosis on the foliage. But the mere receipt of mineral substances from the soil is not enough, so it must be fed to it. They do this only in the spring-summer period, 4-6 weeks after transplantation.
Gardening after purchase has its own characteristics. Planted for sale plants are planted in the soil, saturated with fertilizers of prolonged action, so they long and without additional fertilizer soil bloom throughout the growing season.
But if such a gardenia stays in an excessively wet peat mixture for a long time, or its roots so densely clotted so that the roots protrude from the drainage holes, it will be necessary to take urgent measures to take care of the gardenia and save it. And here you can not do without a transplant, which is carried out in the spring before the start of active growth.
Transplant and other gardening care
A sign of the need to transfer gardenia to a new pot is the complete weaving of an earthen coma with a thin network of roots.
It means that:
- the supply of soil will soon be insufficient for the full development and flowering of the bush,
- the plant will stop its growth, its ornamentation will significantly decrease,
- Gardenia will be less bloom or even refuse to open buds.
Repotting is done by gently transferring a ball into a larger pot. Free space is filled with fresh soil for gardenias or azaleas. If the transshipment is carried out in case of emergency care of the gardenia after its purchase, it is better to cut the flowers on the crown so that they do not exhaust the already weakened specimen.
The pruning helps to keep the gardenia in a form suitable for residential conditions. Pinching or cutting off excess shoots start from the second year of the flower. Afraid of such as in the photo, care for the garden at home is not worth it.
After wilting, the flowers are necessarily cut off, dried or excessively overgrown stems are removed.
Since the buds are laid on the tops of the new branches, the formation of the crown causes branching of the shoots and at the same time helps to lay the future of a magnificent and long flowering.
The cut parts of the branches can be used for rooting. Cuttings with a few leaves a couple of centimeters are immersed in water, where a little root-stimulator is added. After the appearance of their own roots, the young gardenia is transplanted into a light nutrient substrate. With proper care, gardenia at home will bloom next year.
Features of growing gardenia: tips for beginners
Gardenia jasmine like frequent spraying, so this procedure is carried out several times a day. Otherwise, its succulent leaves will lose their attractiveness, and the buds will begin to die off (in this case, they must be immediately cut off). Caring for gardenia is considered to be a problem occupation, since it is extremely difficult to achieve its flowering, especially for novice flower growers. If you do not follow all the rules of plant care, you will not only not wait for the buds to fall out, but you can even destroy gardenia. To avoid this:
- Do not place the flowerpot in the water pan.
- In winter (rest time), water the plant moderately. This will achieve good flowering.
- In the spring, start crown molding.
- Keep the flower from drafts or sudden changes in temperature.
- Use a leaf sprayer carefully, do not allow water to enter the buds, otherwise they will darken and fall away.
How to properly care for gardenia at home
Despite the fact that gardenia is considered to be a demanding indoor plant, which requires increased care, to grow a flower is not so difficult if you know all the rules. Carefully select the place where you put the plant, it does not like to change the place of residence. Gardenias are contraindicated for sudden temperature fluctuations, hard water or drafts. The ideal habitat of this oriental flower is well lit and warm.
We monitor the temperature and lighting
Since home gardenia is a light-loving plant, provide it with full lighting throughout the day. However, in the summer it should be protected from the direct rays of the sun. The best option for placing the flower will be the eastern or western windows - so you will save the gardenia from active sunlight in the summer afternoon. In winter, rearrange the plant on the southern windows. Gardenia is sensitive to permutation, refrain from moving or turning the pot during the development of the buds.
The best climate for the flower will be the temperature regime in the range of 18-20 degrees in winter and 22-24 in summer. Jasmine-shaped gardenia in the house begins to bloom in the warm period - from June to October. During this time, you need to especially closely monitor the temperature, the roots of the plant in any case should not be in the cold.
Humidity and watering
If you have started gardenia, immediately get acquainted with the features of its care. Water the flower through the top of the pot, and drain the excess water that has formed in the pan 20 minutes after watering. The soil should remain slightly moist. Be sure to put a couple of grains of citric acid (or 2 drops of lemon juice per liter of liquid) in water. So you soften the moisture for watering.
During the budding process, the plant needs high air humidity, otherwise the inflorescences stop their development and disappear. It is better to put a pot with a garden in a container with wet sphagnum or expanded clay, but the bottom of the pot should not touch the water. In the summer, spray the leaves several times a day, in the winter - once is enough. Make sure that the water does not fall on the flowers or buds - the plant does not like it. Use a fine spray, and spraying is carried out mainly in the morning and afternoon so that the crown has time to dry before dark.
Fertilizer and dressing
For home gardenia, liquid types of fertilizer are best suited. When choosing, give preference to calcium-free mineral complexes, otherwise you will get the opposite effect - do not heal the plant, but make it worse. Feed the flower every 14 days. If yellow spots were formed on the leaves, it means that the plant lacks trace elements (probably iron). In this case, gardening care implies a more frequent feeding, approximately every 7-8 days.
You can choose for gardenia fertilizer intended for orchids or other flowering plants. Give her not half the dose, as indicated on the package, but a whole. In addition to special tools, for the care and maintenance of the flower in a healthy state, use "folk" methods of fertilizer. For example, experienced growers dilute half a teaspoon of actinferrin (sold in pharmacies) a glass of water. It is necessary to water gardenia with this liquid 1 time in 14 days, and you can give an adult flower it weekly.
Ground selection and flower transplanting
Gardenia is transplanted to the new soil in early spring, as a rule, this happens every two years. You can not change the soil of the plant until it blooms, otherwise the buds may fall off. Provide a good drainage flower. Home gardenia does not like the soil that contains lime. The ideal mixture will be the following mixture: one by one of leaf, sod, coniferous, peaty earth and sand. The flower loves acidic soil with a pH level of 4.5 - 5.5, therefore, when choosing a ready-made mixture, stop on the soil for azaleas.
Gardenia is transplanted as follows:
- Carefully remove the flower from the pot, shake off the old soil from the roots and immerse it in the biostimulant solution for the time indicated on the package. It is better that the solution was at room temperature.
- While the plant is on feed, take up the soil. Pour the steamed drainage to the bottom of the pot, after - make a layer of sand (before that, rinse it and steam it), then charcoal goes further and already on top - the soil.
- Remove gardenia from the solution, carefully divide into several shoots, trying not to injure the roots. Place the plant in the pot, carefully distribute the roots and slowly pour the soil, easily pressing down with your fingers.
- After planting, pour the remaining biostimulator into the pot and place the gardenia in a warm place where the direct rays of the sun do not fall. Ensure that the plant is not exposed to drafts and temperature changes. You can build a greenhouse.
- Do not water the plant very often. Let him "drink" only when the earth dries up 1.5 cm deep.
Cropping and crown formation
Room gardening needs pruning from time to time, it stimulates plant growth and maintains its decorative appearance. Pruning is carried out after a flowering period, half shortening the thickening or weak shoots. If during the growing season the owner decides to pinch the young shoots, then the flower will begin to actively produce side twigs and plant flower buds. Cuttings remaining after pruning may be used for plant reproduction.
Reproduction of gardenia
It is believed that the ideal method of reproduction of domestic jasmine-shaped gardenia - stem cuttings. When choosing them, stop on shoots of medium height (about 8-10 cm), they are not too soft, but not stiff. The most favorable periods for the reproduction of a home plant is the time from February to March and from the end of August until the end of September.
Soak the cuttings for some time in a weak solution of potassium permanganate and only after that place them in a substrate of river sand. Another suitable option would be a combination of peat and sand in equal amounts. After a month you can start rooting the cuttings. Here the main condition will be the observance of the correct temperature regime (from 22 to 25 degrees). To maintain the desired temperature, cover the pot with plastic or glass. Air and water the gardenia daily.
How quickly the plant grows depends on the proper care of it. When the root system develops, gardenia will need to be transplanted into the soil for adult plants. After reaching a flower height of 15 centimeters, you need to pin the tops, which stimulates the growth of lateral stems, which also pinch when growing to 13-15 centimeters.
An alternative method of propagating a plant at home is seeds. The activity of their germination depends on the freshness of the grains. As a rule, they are planted in the spring. As in the previous breeding method, the temperature regime plays an important role here, so keep the thermometer at 23-25 degrees. In contrast to reproduction by cuttings, which provides for the beginning of flowering of a new plant already after 6 months, you will have to be patient with seeds. The approximate period of development of the plant in the home will be 2 years.
Diseases and pests
The most common diseases of gardenia are:
- Lack of iron. A sure sign - when the plant leaves turn yellow, green streaks appear.
- Dry air, insufficient watering, temperature fluctuations. The result will be dry, darkened leaves.
- Fangus It is characterized by yellowing of leaves, the formation of brown dots on them. The plant can be cured with copper.
- Hypothermia home gardenia, improper soil or too hard water for irrigation. Symptom are completely yellowed leaves of the flower.
- Lack of moisture. The plant drops buds.
- Temperature changes. Home gardenia has many shoots, but few buds.
Often, the flower is prone to attacks of such pests as aphid, scythe, thrips, spider mites. If any of the listed insect species was found on the home gardenia, the plant should be immediately sprayed with an insecticide (Intavir, Decis, Fitoverm will do). With a slight defeat, one treatment with chemicals is enough. However, if the harm increases, repeat spraying up to three times with weekly pauses between each procedure.
Why gardenia does not bloom - reasons
- Lack of lighting. The best place to keep gardenia dmoa is the eastern windows, where the sun is in the morning. The south side is too hot for the flower, the midday active sun will burn the leaves. On the north windows the plant will grow passively. If the flower does not have enough light in winter, install special additional lamps.
- Bad temperature conditions. Gardenia is able to bloom only at a temperature of 18 to 25 degrees, otherwise the buds will not even open.
- Dry air. If you do not provide the plant with proper moisture, it can start to act up. Эффективным методом стимуляции цветения домашней гардении считаются «паровые ванны». Для этого занесите цветок в ванную комнату, включите горячую воду и оставьте ванну набираться до краев. Оставьте растение нежиться в условиях высокой влажности на несколько часов. При возможности, повторяйте процедуру еженедельно, пока не распустятся бутоны.
- Нехватка подпитки. Чтобы домашняя гардения зацвела, она должна получать нужные компоненты. The main trace elements for it are magnesium, phosphorus, potassium and iron. To care for the plant, select a fertilizer that contains the maximum amount of the listed substances, and soon you will see beautiful flowers on the stems. You can use such effective drugs as “Domotsvet”, “Bud”, “Zircon”.
- Alkaline primer. At home, gardenia can bloom exclusively in acidic soil. Neutral or alkaline earth does not suit her. Proper care of the plant is to continuously maintain the acidity of the soil by acidifying the irrigation water.
Video tips on planting and caring for a jasmine-shaped garden at home
Beautiful blooming gardenia enlivens any interior, giving it comfort and refinement. Often this plant is received as a gift, not understanding what gardenia home care requires. Pot permutation, changes in temperature, the lack of sun often lead to the death of a flower. And although the establishment of a jasmine-shaped gardenia at home involves many troubles, knowing the nature of the plant and taking into account its whims, you can enjoy the amazing beauty of its buds from spring to late autumn.
Gardenia clearly sets the temperature limits of its normal growth and flowering. The range is from +17 to + 23 ° С. A step of even 1 degree in either direction ensures that you will not see colors for very long.
In winter, everything is simple. Fenced off with glass or plastic bottom of the window from the room, and now the normal microclimate around the pot. And what to do in the summer, when the thermometer is inexorably creeping up? There is an exit. Of course, air moistening will help, but weakly. But after all, every home has a fridge freezer. It is enough to cram plastic bottles with water there, and in a day the mini air conditioner is ready.
Just put a couple next to the pot, and as the ice melts, replace them with others. The temperature around the plant will drop noticeably. Just do not overdo it! Frozen gardenia is no better than toasted.
Council Do not even think about putting gardenia under the stream of cold air of a real domestic air conditioner! The plant loves airing, but dies quickly from drafts.
A very significant aspect for the normal development of gardenia. The air around should always be humid. Daily and all the time. Even in the winter. Some sources recommend several times a day to spray the crown of the bush. But this is a constant attachment. But flower growers also work, study, go on a visit. It is possible to list forever why it is impossible to sit next to the gardenia.
What to do? To create the required level of moisture artificially:
- Put the pot on the tray (stand is obligatory). Around spread out sphagnum, peat, expanded clay, hydrogel. Periodically pour water to all the materials literally floated.
- Arrange around a few extra saucers or glasses. Ensure that they always have water.
- If there is a room humidifier, then keep it constantly on next to the plant.
- In the cold season, put a wet towel or blanket on the radiators of heating, wet it as it dries.
- Well, do not forget, if possible, more often to spray the crown from a conventional spray gun. Desirable warm and soft (distilled) water.
All these items must be carried out simultaneously. Separate use will bring an insignificant result. And if growing gardenia without a high level of humidity is quite capable, then it will never bloom in dry air.
Council Some gardeners are arranging a mini table on the windowsill in which gardenia lives. So much easier to maintain the microclimate at the proper level. By the way, this design helps to avoid a sharp temperature drop, which the plant doesn’t like very much.
Gardenia does not like drying up the soil so that it can drop all the buds. About the excess water, we have said above. Therefore, you should strictly monitor the level of moisture in the pot. The ground should always be slightly damp, but not damp. Some flower growers are advised to stick a wooden stick into the ground to the bottom, and after 12-14 minutes to look at it.
But today the industry offers a more convenient solution than daily earth picking. These are special beacons. They are simply stuck into the soil. As soon as it dries at a certain level, the beacon changes color. Very handy thing.
Now directly about drinking. What water can water gardenia? After all, she is very demanding on this item. You can not just pour liquid from the tap and splash it into the pot. Salt contained in such a swill in the blink of an eye will destroy the plant.
Water must be:
Yes, it is precisely such difficult conditions that are needed for proper watering of gardenia. Plus, once a month you need to add a few drops of lemon juice or 3-5 crystals of citric acid to the water. The plant loves sour.
Council If you do not have time to prepare the water for irrigation, then you have a direct way to the store for aquarists. It is there that you can buy special preparations to soften the liquid. Just do everything according to the instructions and within an hour you have a normal supply of water that is quite suitable for irrigation. Only heat it before use.
Gardenias are vital. Any mineral with a high content of potassium and phosphorus will do. These trace elements are responsible for high-quality flowering. But from excess nitrogen is to beware, it causes uncontrolled growth of loose shoots.
Some sources recommend feeding gardenia about 1 time every 2 weeks. This is strange advice. How can they know what kind of fertilizer you purchased?
We offer another method. Just follow the manufacturer's instructions, but reduce the dosage by 2 times. And further. On the package should be written "for flowering houseplants." Then you can't go wrong.
Council If you do not have the time or desire to accurately measure the dose, then acquire long-playing supplements. Such fertilizers are sold in the form of granules or tablets. Just put them in the ground, and when watering the plant itself takes the required number of trace elements.
Pests and diseases
All diseases in gardenia occur for 2 reasons: either from improper care, or as a waste product of pests. And there are a lot of hunters to feast on delicious juice of leaves:
- spider mite
Some can be disposed of by simply washing the sheet plates with a solution of household or potassium soap. Others will have to fight for a long time, carefully and with the use of heavy artillery.
In any case, there is no delay. Need to take action immediately. Because gardenia very nervously treats uninvited guests. She drops buds, changes pigmentation, begins to dry quickly and stops growing.
To determine the presence of insects is very simple. In the normal state, the leaves are juicy green, dense, shiny. At defeat by wreckers there are not clear points, holes on leaves, shoots are deformed, black or whitish bloom is formed.
You should not risk beauty using grandma's methods of strange composition. Inexperience can only make it worse. Better use proven insecticides of famous brands. At least there is indicated the exact dosage and multiplicity of treatments.
Council Do not wait for a miracle in the fight against the nematode. Such a plant cannot be saved. Science is not yet known means to help get rid of this rubbish. No pitying, cut the cuttings and root them. So you get a few young, and most importantly - healthy plants.
How to care for gardenia at home? No more difficult than any other capricious. She just has her own preferences, which you must provide. But the reward for your efforts will get very quickly. Gardenia handsomely reward caring owners fabulous flowering and magical scent. Believe me, you should see at least once - and you will love her forever. Then the care will seem nothing more than pleasant troubles in anticipation of a miracle.
What to do after purchase?
This plant does not like moving, transfers, transfers, so it is better to immediately find a permanent place for it. Replace gardenia in another pot a few days after purchase.when the flower has become accustomed to a new home (you can find out here how to make gardenia transplants at home.
Gardenia is a tropical plant, which means it is very fond of heat and needs sufficient lighting. The light should come to the pot all day. It is better to choose, therefore, for the maintenance of the plant, the southern or western windowsill.
In winter, the plant light may not be enough, so it is often necessary to provide the southern beauty with additional light, attracting artificial lamps for this. Arrange artificial light sources at a distance of 60-70 cm from the pot.
In the summer midday heat of gardenia requires protection from direct sunlight. To provide this protection, shade the window with a light cloth or translucent paper. This measure will help preserve delicate flowers and leaves of the plant.
It is not necessary to turn the pot with a plant, as many do, trying to provide sufficient lighting for the whole bush. Gardenia does not like permutations, including a simple turning around its axis of the pot. Shrub can react very violently to such turning over: it can also throw off leaves and flowers.
What to do to accelerate growth?
In order for home gardenia to grow more actively, to increase its pomp and decoration, it is necessary to cut the flower from time to time. Pruning is done after the shrub has faded. - that is, in the fall.
If you pluck the young shoots during the growing season, the shrub will grow more magnificently, and it will also bloom more abundantly. Use healthy and strong stalks that remain after pruning for breeding gardenias - ready-made planting material should not disappear.
Transplanting a new pot
To transplant gardenia, you must be consistent and accurate. It is important not to damage the root system of the plant. And first of all you need to choose a suitable pot. If you just brought a plant from the store, you should not pick up a pot of enormous size for it - enough capacity, more than 2-3 cm in diameter in a store pot.
- In order to properly carry out the transplant, carefully along with the earthy clod, remove the bush from the old pot. Try to remove the old soil from the roots (without fanaticism), and then place the plant in a solution with a biostimulator.
- At the bottom of the new pot, it is necessary to place the steam-sterilized drainage (expanded clay or sphagnum), then pour a layer of clean river sand, then coal, only at the end - the ground. The last layer should be more than any other, this is understandable.
- Gardenia remove from the biostimulator, a little straighten the roots, put in a new pot. Lightly sprinkle on top of the soil, crush the ground a little as it is poured.
- After the bush is in place, pour the soil on top of the bio-solution in which it was wetted. Then the pot must be placed in a warm, sunny place, but protected from direct rays.
Watch the video on transplanting gardenia:
Possible problems and illnesses
Gardening care should be correct and thorough - this is the key to the full development and abundant flowering of the plant (why gardenia does not bloom and what needs to be done can be found here). The main problems are listed below.
If the leaves become sluggish and weak, then there is not enough or too much moisture.. With yellowed leaves, the problem may be a lack of nutrients: usually iron.
With fading and falling flowers, the reason is most often in the wrong watering. And sometimes it is a reaction to stress due to the pot permutation, moving.
If the leaves begin to crumble, the matter is a lack of moisture or spider mite infection. Leaves turn black due to root problems. Dries the foliage, twists, darkens due to too dry air in the room.
If the gardenia was struck with a disease such as a fangus, you can see yellowed leaves, and on them are brown small specks. It is possible to cure this problem by applying a copper dressing..
If the leaves of the plant are completely yellowed, it means that, most likely, in this room the temperature is too low for gardenia, or the soil does not suit it. Also, the reason for the continuous yellowing of the foliage can be in too hard water for irrigation.
If gardenia has produced a lot of shoots, but they have surprisingly few buds, it means that the plant is exposed to unwanted temperature extremes. Eliminate this problem and the number of flower buds is normalized.
Similarly about the most common diseases of gardenia and methods of dealing with them, we are told here.
This procedure allows you to extend the flowering period of the plant, make it more abundant.. In addition, properly done pruning will allow the bush to grow more lush and compact.
Pruning is carried out in the autumn after the end of the blooming gardenia. Cleaned up half weak and thickened shoots. If during the growing season periodically pinch young shoots, gardenia will grow more lush, and it will be better to bloom.
Types and varieties
Gardenia Jasminoid (she Gardenia Augusta, regal, Cape jasmine) - an evergreen shrub, in natural conditions it grows up to two meters in height, and in the home - no more than 80 cm. The leaves are brilliant rich dark green color, pointed to the base. Flowers grow on the tops of the shoots one by one or are collected in groups of three or more pieces. Flowering occurs in summer and autumn.
- Gardenia "Chuck Hayes" (Chuck Hayes) - variety reaching up to two meters in height, semi-double, fragrant flowers, the color of baked milk. Flowering begins on the threshold of summer, and continue to appear during the season. The variety has good frost resistance.
- Gardenia "Belmont" (Belmont) - has a rather large rounded leaves. Flowers terry (10 cm in diameter), with a rich pleasant aroma. Resistant to disease and cooling variety.
- Gardenia "Amy" (Aimee) - gardenia with brighter foliage than the rest. Terry flowers (up to 12 cm) seem artificial because of their ideal shape. Blossoms twice a year.
- Gardenia "Mystery" (Mystery) - a very popular variety, reaches a height of 1.5-2 meters in height, with large dark green leaves. Terry flat flowers (up to 13 cm). The flowering process can be observed twice a year. It is characterized by vertical growth.
Gardenia "Radikans" (Radicans)
Dwarf, very compact and pretty bush, not more than one meter in height and a little more than a meter in width. It has small glossy leaves. Terry flowers are also not large (2-5 cm). This variety is used as bonsai.
- Gardenia "Variegata" (Variegata) - a good variety for growing in a pot, as it has a slow growth. The leaves are variegated, rounded in shape, with regard to color, various smooth transitions from green to cream are seen. Aromatic inflorescences (up to 8 cm).
- Gardenia "Radikan Variyegata" (Radican Variegata) - dwarf variety (up to 1 m) with variegated leaves. There is a slow growth. Dark green leaves with a characteristic cream stripe as a bezel. Flowers from 2.5 to 5 cm in diameter - late bloom. Variety for "bonsai."
- Gardenia "Golden Magic" (Golden Magic) - differs from others in the duration of the flowering period (longer than others). A quick transition of the white color of the corolla to golden is noticed.
An evergreen tropical shrub that can be grown in a small tree with fragrant flowering belongs to the Madder family (magnolia and coffee tree are considered to be related). In nature can be found in South Africa. The leaves are large, smooth, dark green in color, located on short processes emerging from a direct woody stalk. White flowers (about 8 cm in diameter) fan-shaped form have a bright aroma, which is enhanced in the evening.
Gardenia tahitian - large shrub (about 3 m tall). The surface of the leaves is glossy, has an oval shape and a dark green tint. You can distinguish by flowers (about 8 cm in diameter), in which the petals (there are up to 8 pieces) seem to be bent to the side along the path, resembling the propeller blades.
Gardenia keeled (yellow) - a large, rounded shrub or tree (3 m tall). Brilliant oval-shaped leaves, not as saturated green as other species, have unusual lateral veins. Large yellow flowers have an extension at the end and, as it were, overlying each other petals. Very pleasant aroma.
Gardenia brigham - is a small tree. The leaves are shiny, oval, dark green. The distinguishing feature is the inflorescences - these are single white flowers consisting of six petals, twisted in a very unusual way (and the ends are slightly curved), resemble fan blades (or other machines).
Gardenia care at home
When growing gardenia at home, you need to follow certain rules: enough heat and light, moderate soil moisture, avoiding drought. In addition, the flower is very sensitive to movement from place to place.
Гардения, как и многие цветущие комнатные растения, любит много света. Но боится прямых солнечных лучей, особенно полуденного солнца. Стоит позаботиться о правильном освещении. Поэтому при выборе места лучше отдать предпочтение западным и восточным окнам и проследить, чтобы не было тени от уличных деревьев. It is important to remember that the flower does not like a constant change of place (even from turning the pot), especially during flowering, it can throw off the buds.
As for the temperature, the gardenia is a thermophilic plant. The optimum temperature can be considered at 20-25 ° C - in the summer and not lower than 16 ° C - in the winter. Drafts and a sharp drop in temperature should be avoided. During the formation of buds, it is desirable to provide a comfortable temperature of 18 ° C, while the wet roots, after watering, should not be in the cold.
In addition, high humidity during this period (flowering) will be the key to the healthy development of inflorescences. Dry air can slow down the growth of buds and their subsequent fall, not having time to open up. You can spray only the foliage. Therefore, during the flowering period, you can simply put the pot with gardenia in a pan with water and expanded clay, so that the bottom of the pot does not touch the water. Evaporation of the liquid will provide the necessary moisture around the plant.
In the spring and summer, the soil should always be slightly damp, so it is desirable to provide abundant watering, avoiding stagnation (good drainage is needed). Water is mandatory only soft, settled and room temperature. The best option would be to use, if possible, filtered rainwater or boiled water. In the cold season, turn to moderate watering.
Fertilizer for gardenia
During the period of active growth (March-August), gardenia needs feeding. Liquid fertilizer for indoor flowering plants, fertilized once every two weeks. Reduce the amount recommended on the package by half.
Soil for gardenia
Do not allow lime in the ground. Prepared the next substrate in equal proportions: turf ground, coniferous, leaf, peat and sand. You can buy a ready-made mixture, suitable soil for azaleas.
After flowering, it is necessary to prune the shoots by 2/3 or half of their length. These processes can then be used for reproduction. If you pinch the tops of young shoots, it can serve as an incentive for the emergence of side shoots, which will have new flower buds.
Gardenia breeding cuttings
Usually propagated by apical cuttings (minimum 10 cm) remaining after pruning in the period from February to March. They take root in a warm substrate, using growth stimulants. Then covered with a jar or plastic bag - to provide greenhouse conditions. This is a long process. When the cuttings reach 15 cm, they are pinched.
You can put cut processes in the water, but the likelihood that he will take roots is much less.
Gardenia - Description
Gardenia (lat. Gardenia) belongs to the madder family and includes around 250 species. Dwells a plant in the forests of the subtropical part of China and Japan. The genus was named after the gardener A. Gardener, who lived in America in the 18th century.
Gardenia - evergreen shrubs and small trees. Strong shoots or pubescent, or naked. The leaves are located opposite, stipules, glossy. Flowers or gather in shields, or grow one by one, have a pleasant smell, yellow and white, apical or axillary.
In indoor conditions, they usually grow only gardenia jasminoid. The plant tolerates pruning normally. Despite the fact that it is quite easy to form the crown of a plant, it is very whimsical: poor tolerance to temperature differences and excessive moisture in the substrate.
Planting and maintenance of the garden (in short)
- Bloom: from July to October.
- Lighting: bright diffused light. Autumn gardenia requires additional artificial lighting.
- Temperature: in the period of active growth - not lower than 22 ºC, in winter in the daytime -18, and in the night -16 ºC.
- Watering: during the growing season - abundant, as soon as the topsoil dries, in the autumn after drying, you need to wait until watering for 1-2 days. In winter, watering is reduced, and from the end of March it is very gradually increased.
- Air humidity: increased. It is best to place the plant on a pallet with wet clay, and gardenia can only be sprayed before flowering.
- Top dressing: during the growing season, young gardenias are fed with mineral and complex fertilizers alternately every two weeks. Mature plants - every week with calcium-free fertilizers.
- Rest period: from late autumn to early spring.
- Trimming: during the growing season, the tops of the young shoots are pinched, and after flowering, the shoots are weak and thickening the crown are halved.
- Transfer: in spring, young plants - annually, and adults - once every 2-3 years.
- Substrate: loose and sour, consisting of equal parts of peat, sand, coniferous and sod land.
- Reproduction: cuttings.
- Pests: aphid, shchitovki and spider mites.
- Diseases: There may be problems due to overmoistening of the soil, irregular watering, too dry air or other violations of conditions.
- Properties: Gardenia fruits cause intestinal upset. In folk medicine, for medical purposes, use the hemostatic, antipyretic, anti-inflammatory, and choleretic properties of gardenia.
Gardening at home
Gardenia at home needs bright lighting all year round. The best location option is east and west windows. On the south windows you need to hide the plant from the sun's rays, and on the north you need additional lighting with fluorescent lamps. In the summer, gardenia can be brought to fresh air, but make sure that there are no drafts, precipitation and direct sun. If the plant does not grow indoors, you need to spray it twice a day. In winter, they additionally illuminate with fluorescent lamps - they are placed at a distance of a little more than half a meter above the gardenia. If the light is low, the buds may shrink and fall off. You can not rearrange or even turn the plant - home gardenia sheds buds.
Home gardenia needs high humidity, especially during the appearance of buds. To increase the humidity of the plant can be put on a pallet with wet clay or peat. It is good to spray the plant, but only before the beginning of the blooming of the flowers - after that you need to stop spraying and wipe the leaves instead with a damp cloth. Because of the water on the flowers, brown spots appear on them, which reduce the decorativeness of the flower.
Repotting the gardenia flower is necessary only if necessary. Do it either after flowering or in early spring. Experienced growers are advised to replant adult specimens every two to three years, and young - annually. At the same time it is necessary to trim the roots. Transplanted into a loose, acidic soil - a mixture of sand, peat, turf and coniferous soil (1: 1: 1: 1). Every two weeks you need to water with a weak solution of lemon juice (3-4 drops of lemon per 1 liter of water), with the addition of 0.5 g of iron sulphate per 1 liter of water. You can insist water on peat - also acidifies the substrate.
The healing properties of gardenia
In folk medicine, often use the fruits and roots of room gardenia - a decoction of them is antipyretic, anti-inflammatory and hemostatic. It is also taken for skin diseases, stomatitis, jaundice and mastitis, for the treatment of mouth ulcers and lips, hepatitis, flu, nosebleeds, nephritis, and dysentery. Extracts of their fruits reduce blood pressure.
Jasmine-shaped gardenia contains substances that are choleretic. Small fruits help with fever and lung diseases, and large ones are crushed and applied to burns, bruises, tumors and various types of injuries.
After the purchase
Recently acquired gardenia should not be disturbed. She needs time to recover from the transferred stress associated with transportation, change of location.
The adaptation period usually lasts 2-3 weeks, not more. Perhaps the store bought a flowering plant, then it is important to let the gardenia blossom. However, not always everything goes smoothly. It often happens that on arrival home gardenia drops buds.
Thus, it responds to a change of residence, transportation, relocation. After 3 weeks or at the end of flowering, the exotic beauty should be transplanted. The transfer is connected with the fact that the soil in which it was sold, has almost no nutrients.
Gardenia, of course, prefers the light, so it would be good to put it in a bright place. But when it comes into contact with scorching sunshine, burns on the leaves occur.
On hot days, the bright sun should be pritenyat. The best option would be windowsills on the west or east side.
In the cold season, the south window is suitable. Gardenia does not accept displacement, especially during budding. This is fraught with dropping the buds.
Jasmine gardenia, like most plants, does not tolerate transplantation. This process should be performed 1 time in 2-3 years, as the root system grows. Young individuals should be transplanted annually. The process of soil renewal is usually performed in early spring, necessarily after flowering.
- Pour the soil well and allow time to stand for easier extraction of the exotus from the tank.
- Then take out the plant.
- At the bottom of the new pot, put the expanded clay granules with a layer of about 4-5 cm.
- Pour a piece of earth over the drainage.
- Put the flower in the pot with a lump of soil.
- Sprinkle on the sides and top with fresh substrate.
- Moisturize In the water, you can add a couple of drops of Kornevin or Epin to stimulate root growth.
Read more about gardenia transplants in this video:
Photo of indoor flower
See the photo of how this exotic plant looks like:
Problems and Diseases
For non-professionals, caring for a plant is quite a challenge. After all, if the existing parameters do not correspond to the required ones, a number of health problems with gardenia arise.
- the emergence of dry foliage - a sign of improperly done transplant, improper soil, disturbed irrigation system,
- the fall of the buds indicates a flower overcooling, excess moisture, moving the pot during flowering, low humidity,
- the appearance of old spots on the leaves indicates the development of the disease chlorosis,
- if the leaves turn black and fall, then there is a problem with the roots, it is possible to flood, also dry air in the room, lack of nutrients, infection with spider mites,
- if the foliage turns yellow - this is evidence of low temperature in the room, lack of fluid, improperly selected soil, watering with hard water.
In more detail about the problems with the leaves, we wrote in this article, and what diseases and pests can bring your darling trouble, you will find out here.
To stimulate growth and prolonged flowering, it is important to subject the plant to pruning. Conduct this procedure after the flowering stage, namely in the fall. First of all, diseased, damaged, underdeveloped processes are removed, this will add strength to the flower.
During the growing season they pinch the side shoots, so the bush looks more lush and neat.
Indeed, jasmine gardenia requires increased attention. But this does not mean that it does not need to be bred at home. Even an inexperienced but purposeful florist can cope with this. It is important even before the purchase will familiarize with the rules of care, and create the necessary parameters in the room. And in the future, simply support them and comply with the above recommendations.