In any kitchen there is a minimum set of spices, well, and even those who like to cook all kinds of spice jars have one or even several shelves. Spices are perceived as a background addition to food, allowing you to change color or give a special taste and aroma, and an ordinary everyday product that should be available to any wallet. Something like chili powder or garam masala is really worth a dime, but the cost of some seasonings can seriously undermine the budget. Here are 7 spices that today are considered the most expensive in the world.
Powder from the dried roots of the plant Turmeric is also often called Indian saffron. This is explained by the fact that turmeric contains curcumin yellow dyes, therefore it is often used as a substitute for saffron. In the international market, turmeric can cost up to 3 dollars per pound. Turmeric is used in cooking as a dye and as a spice, giving the dishes a spicy, slightly burning taste.
Black pepper is the best-selling and most commonly used spice in the world. Get it, as, however, and other varieties of pepper, from the plant species of the genus Pepper Pepper. For a pound of black pepper on the world market asking for up to 3 dollars. In cooking, spice is used everywhere - from sauces and salads to marinades and main courses, both in the hammer and the whole.
Real, noble cinnamon is grown in the countries of the tropical belt. It represents the twisted bark of the brown ceylon tree with a thickness of up to 1 mm in dried form. The price of real cinnamon can reach up to $ 6 per pound, so its immediate relative is often given out for it - dried bark of the cassia family tree. You can distinguish them in appearance and taste: in real cinnamon it is more subtle. The sweet, warm taste of cinnamon perfectly complements the sweet dishes, drinks and meat dishes from chicken or lamb.
This is the fourth most expensive spice in the world, whose value on the world market reaches $ 10 per pound. Strong aroma and burning taste are characteristic of cloves. Thanks to this combination, it has found wide application in cooking. Clove is a typical spice for most Indian, African and Middle Eastern dishes.
It is added to marinades, second courses, hot drinks, confectionery, and also used in fish and sausage production. Usually, cloves are placed at the end of cooking, guided by a simple, uncomplicated rule: the thinner the flavor of the dish should be, the later the spice should be added.
The cost of up to $ 30 per pound is due to the laboriousness of the process of collecting the fruits of the perennial herb Cardamom present. The fruits are harvested in unripe form, then dried in the sun, moistened and dried again. The largest suppliers of spices are South-West India and Guatemala.
Black cardamom has a smoky flavor, so it is usually added to heavily seasoned dishes, such as curry and biriani, while its “cousin” green cardamom is used for sweet dishes, as well as seasoning for coffee, tea and bakery products. In addition, green cardamom has therapeutic value and is used to treat digestive disorders, infections of the gums and teeth, and other various ailments.
Cookies, ice cream, sweet pastries - rarely does a dessert go without the addition of this spice or at least its cheap counterparts. Natural vanilla is often presented as whole pods, powder or alcohol extract. Such a product costs up to $ 200 per pound. Why so expensive? Yes, because the fruits are harvested by hand, and then treated in a certain way, after which the spice acquires its own special aroma and color shade.
All other low-cost vanilla additives on the market are nothing but an artificial substitute - vanillin. However, none of the substitutes for spices can not exactly repeat the flavor and is not distinguished by its durability.
Saffron is considered the king of all spices. The price for one pound of dried stigmas of saffron flowers can be varied from $ 1,600 to $ 5,000. Such a high cost is due to the laboriousness of the production process: one flower has only three stigmas, and for the production of 1 pound of saffron yarn requires from 50,000 to 75,000 flowers. Since the seasoning is not affordable for everyone, she came up with cheaper alternatives of a similar color - turmeric and safflower. So, if you are offered saffron at a suspiciously low price, most likely they are trying to give out saffron for its budget substitutes.
Saffron is grown mainly in Spain, Italy, Greece, India, but up to 90% of the world crop of saffron is from Iran. In cooking, saffron is used for flavoring and coloring various dishes, baking, as well as in the production of cheese, sausages and liqueurs.
Fragrant and tasty
For what kind of product in the world markets are they ready to give huge sums?
- Wild ginseng root. At the fair of the countries of Northeast Asia, the stand with this seasoning is safely guarded. And it’s not for nothing that the 80-gram package of such spice costs about 1.5 million dollars, being the most expensive in the world. This plant is found exclusively in the wild, and, according to the Chinese, is able to prolong youth, heal from many diseases and give vitality.
- Saffron. Thanks to his healing properties, Alexander of Macedon healed the effects of wounds in battles. 1 kg of such spices cost about 6 thousand dollars. Such a high price is due to the fact that it is collected manually. The process is very laborious - to get only 500 g of spice, you need to collect from 40 to 100 thousand flowers, each of which contains several stamens. They represent the real value. Saffron has a special bitter taste, and its natural color makes it possible to use it as a natural dye in the food industry.
- Vanilla. It would seem that it will not surprise anyone, but for 1 kg of high-quality vanilla you will have to pay about $ 1,000, which makes it one of the most expensive seasonings. If you comply with all storage conditions, then its smell will remain original for 40 years. Research confirms that vanilla flavor contributes to the production of serotonin - the hormone of happiness.
- Mace. To get this spice, it is necessary to remove a thin red film from the fruit of the nutmeg tree and dry it. This is usually done on bamboo sheets. Such seasoning is sold in the form of whole films or powder, respectively, the price can vary from 100 to 600 dollars per 1 kg. Add nutmeg color can be in almost any dish, except fish and mushroom.
- Pink pepper. Another seasoning, claiming to be the most expensive. Her homeland is South America, where peppers grow on trees. Externally, the fruit resembles ordinary pepper, but it tastes sweeter and not so sharp. To preserve its original color, the berries are first frozen, then pickled and salted. Pink pepper perfectly complements the taste of fish and seafood.
- Cardamom. Per kilogram of such seasoning will have to pay about $ 350. It has a special mix of flavors, in which you can find notes of lemon, eucalyptus and camphor. If you want the spice to retain its smell longer, buy whole boxes of the plant.
- Kulgan. This ginger plant is also among the top most expensive spices. It tastes like ginger, but is more bitter and spicy. Kulgan is often used to prepare myrrh used in church worship.
- Juniper. For 1 kg of juniper bushes you will be asked $ 30. The true taste of this spice can be felt in sauces and marinades. Juniper will give a pleasant aroma and taste to meat. But it is worth remembering that in large quantities this seasoning can be harmful to health.
- Asafoetida. Many are frightened away by the “popular name” of the plant, because, because of the sharp and not very pleasant smell, asafoetida is often called “devil's excrement”. But in the process of heat treatment, the plant acquires a pleasant onion-garlic smell and an acrid taste.
- Iovan This spice is better known as Indian cumin or zira. Value is the seed of the ripened fruit. Zira is often added to lentil dishes, as well as lamb and horse meat.
Spices are a special part of the culinary business. Their correct choice and application is one of the main conditions for the success of your dish.
Grown in Brazil and Peru. It grows on a tree. In appearance - this is the usual pepper, but with a specific aroma. To preserve its pink color sushi berries due to their freezing, pickling or pickling. Before serving pink pepper in a dish, it is heated in a griddle, crushed.
The plant belongs to the ginger family. It tastes bitter and hot. Before using, the kalgan is peeled, cut into pieces, dried.
This spice is presented in the form of evergreen coniferous shrub. The fruits are pre-dried and then added to the sauce. Juniper is more often used for soaking meat.
The smell of spice is terrible, resembling garlic and onions. But if you fry it, the smell will be pleasant.
Inside this fruit there are 2 seeds, which have a sharp taste, but a pleasant aroma. Used for the production of sausages from horse meat and lamb.
Wild Ginseng Root
Grown in the mountainous regions of China in the province of Jilin. This plant is included in the red book.
Spice has a sharp taste. It is extracted from the seeds of the plant of the same name. To preserve the smell, it is recommended to buy karmadon as a whole.