When we breathe deeply, our lungs expand to the maximum and the diaphragm works more actively. Why this is important (especially for adults), we tell in this article.
In fact, when talking about deep breathing, it should be understood literally: the air should go down to the lowest parts of the lungs. It's about diaphragmatic breathing, when the lungs expand to the maximum.
A little excursion into the anatomy
The diaphragm is a dome-shaped muscle that serves as a septum between the pectoral and abdominal cavities (the green line in the image below).
Diaphragmatic breathing / Wikipedia
Due to this arrangement, the diaphragm can significantly change the position of the internal organs.
When inhaling, when the diaphragm shrinks, it frees up space for the lungs so that they can expand (respiratory function). At the same time, the heart and kidneys are shifted down, returning to their original upper position during exhalation. This movement is important for the internal organs, as it improves blood circulation (cardiovascular function), and hence the nutrition of tissues and the elimination of waste.
The diaphragm also plays an important role in the movement of food through the esophagus (motor and digestive function).
The movement of the diaphragm affects all surrounding organs: with each deep breath, you are supposed to massage them. The diaphragmatic muscle also supports the spine.
Here is a brief and comprehensive description of the aperture value for a person.
The diaphragmatic muscle, although it takes up little space, plays a significant role in the functioning of the body: in breathing using the maximum volume of the lungs, posture formation, blood supply to the organs, proper functioning of the pelvic organs and the cervical and trigeminal nerve. The diaphragm affects the circulatory and lymphatic systems. It controls the work of the whole body.
In childhood, when we run, jump, shout, sing, the diaphragm receives a diverse load and functions perfectly. But with age, the way of life becomes less and less mobile, and we are more restrained in the expression of emotions. The diaphragm tone is reduced. In an adult, the normal range of its displacement (up to 12–15 centimeters) is usually reduced by half or even more.
The diaphragm is just a muscle, on the tone of which you can work. Here are a couple of simple exercises.
1. Focus on the belly
Put one hand on your chest and the other on your stomach and breathe as deeply as possible so that during inhalation the stomach would inflate and the chest would not change its position. Take 10 to 20 breaths. If you are accustomed to breathing only with your breasts, at first it will be difficult not to displace the chest, but this skill is developed rather quickly - as soon as you feel the diaphragm well.
2. Focus on the chest
Take a deep breath with your breasts so that your stomach is completely deflated. On the exhale, squeeze the stomach even more and take a breath again, pulling up the abdominal muscles to the spine. On the next exhale, relax. Repeat 10 times.
From the additional bonuses of diaphragm development, you will get a strong voice that will give you a much more confident look and increase your self-esteem.
Many people do not even think about how well they breathe, but if every person had information about how important it is for health to follow the breath, mankind could get rid of many health problems forever. Moreover, one of the main aspects of yoga is to build the breath in a certain way and relate it to the postures that the body takes. This allows you to provide the body with oxygen, increase the flexibility of the body and, accordingly, enhance the effect of training.
For this reason, such a breath, built on a deep inhale and exhalation of the abdomen, is also called yoga. Although if you look, the practice of abdominal breathing is actually done by the diaphragm, which exerts some effect on the abdominal muscles and also affects the organs of the small pelvis (which is very important, first of all, for the health of women). Also, for many women, therapeutic breathing is a good opportunity to lose weight.
Benefits of abdominal breathing
Unlike chest breathing, abdominal breathing is more useful, it is less superficial and allows maximum use of the entire volume of the lungs. The deeper and more correctly the breathing technique is built, the more protected a person is from such health problems as insomnia, atherosclerosis and depression. Speaking generally about how the use of this technique is useful, we can single out several positions that reveal in more detail the advantages of abdominal breathing:
- improves gas exchange, because with the correct position of the diaphragm, oxygen enrichment of the organism and its filling with energy occur, which increases the protective functions of the organism,
- relaxes and helps to cope with stress
- It has an analgesic effect, due to the fact that relieves muscle tension, provoking pain,
- keeps muscles in good shape, because The deep breathing technique uses many parts of the body and stimulates the abdominal muscles, buttocks and some others.
By the way, the muscles of the press are most susceptible to stress, and in response to it they tense up, pressing down on the diaphragm, which significantly affects the amount of air that has entered the body, moreover, as a rule, this air remains only on top of the stress state. lungs. Abdominal (or abdominal breathing) helps to relax the abdominal muscles and bring the respiratory process back to normal, relieving the person from the accelerated stressful breathing that occurs when there is a lack of oxygen and panic.
Thanks to abdominal breathing, it is possible to bring the human body back to normal in just 3 breaths and exactly the same number of breaths, following simple instructions:
- take a prone position and, with your eyes closed, direct attention to what you feel in your body, then after a cycle of inhalation-exhalation, see how much your lungs fill with your breathing, how your chest and stomach react to inhale and exhale,
- perform the cycle of breaths slowly, gradually coming to your rhythm and getting rid of muscle tension,
- learn to regulate the air flow, for this one hand gently press on the stomach and try to make the air raise or lower the hand,
- for 10 minutes, make a couple of breaths, count the number of breaths, and, counting up to 10, do the exercise several times.
Abdominal breathing has a positive effect on the nervous system, it makes the sympathetic nervous system less active, which is activated during stress, and vice versa sets the stimulus for the parasympathetic nervous system, creating a psychologically favorable environment for the body. This is due to the conscious control of the respiratory process, which causes the body to replace two reactions - relaxation starts at the moment when the body had to unconsciously respond with stress to the situation.
So, training the breath of the stomach, and starting the process of relaxation instead of stress, reduces the risk of acquiring various diseases that can be triggered by problems of the nervous system.
Improves body recovery after workouts.
The inclusion of proper breathing in workouts reduces the so-called oxidative stress in the body, due to the saturation of the body with oxygen. Studies have shown that those athletes who practiced abdomen breathing during workouts, due to the fact that oxygen reduces the level of cortisol, the stress hormone, while the relaxation hormone, melatonin, was elevated, rather quickly reached a state of performance after the hardest workouts.
Thus, doctors concluded that the body, which, thanks to abdominal breathing, receives oxygen, helps athletes get protection from the effects of stress hormones during training.
Stabilizes blood sugar
When it comes to normalizing blood sugar levels, the first thing most people think about is a change in dietary habits and few people know that there is some connection between blood sugar and the breathing process. Due to the fact that deep breathing increases stress tolerance and a positive effect on the nervous system as a whole, the level of glucose in the blood decreases, therefore, for people suffering from diseases such as diabetes, special breathing exercises have been specially developed to keep the sugar level normal.
Deep abdominal breathing, as already mentioned, having a significant effect on the parasympathetic nervous system, helps a person to quickly come to a relaxed state. It should be noted that it is this system that stimulates the human digestive process, since normally, thanks to this system, salivation and production of gastric juice increases, helping the process of digestion. With such an explanation is connected with the fact that doctors recommend eating food, to pay maximum attention to food, chew it thoroughly.
In addition, the process of nutrition should not be accompanied by watching TV or "wandering" on the Internet. It is also recommended not to take writing in a bad mood, because experiencing irritation or anger, a person provokes the inclusion of the sympathetic nervous system, which slows down the process of digesting food, which causes heaviness in the stomach and indigestion. To avoid problems with digestion, nutritionists advise to perform simple breathing exercises 10-15 minutes before a meal.
Strengthens the lungs
Practicing abdominal breathing, training of the lungs takes place, which gradually become strong and due to ventilation more and more open. Also in the process of breathing exercises, the lung volume increases, so many patients with lung disease are recommended to use these exercises, which increase the level of oxygen and strengthen the lungs.
Changes gene expression
This is surprising, but abdominal breathing has such a powerful effect on the human body that it can even change genes. A few years ago, studies of geneticists studying the process of relaxation in humans and the effect of breathing on them revealed that deep breathing with a diaphragm enhances gene expression, which is important for humans. Experiments revealed that genes exposed to respiration are responsible for energy metabolism, nutrition of cells, the action of the immune system and protection of cells against aging.
Based on this, it was concluded that due to the state of relaxation arising from breathing practices, increased energy production and reduced stress levels, which have a strong effect on the human body at the level of genetics.
Benefit and harm
As with any body practice, abdominal breathing has its advantages and disadvantages. So the benefit of breathing the diaphragm is as follows:
- Due to this type of breathing, a deep massage of the heart, digestive organs, and abdominal organs occurs,
- improves the immune system,
- the process of climacteric syndrome in women is slowed down, and the work of the pelvic organs is improved,
- thanks to the ventilation of the lungs, they are cleaned from many years of accumulation of dust and numerous harmful substances,
- blood pressure goes down,
- due to the saturation of the blood with oxygen, the metabolism increases,
- when practicing breathing practices, you can, without resorting to sports, throw off those extra pounds,
- due to relaxation and stress reduction, the thinking process is improved and the ability to find new solutions appears.
Among the disadvantages of this method of breathing can be identified such as:
- mastering the technique of diaphragmatic breathing occurs gradually, under the obligatory supervision of a doctor or specialist practicing this method,
- Those who have some health problems associated with high blood pressure, such classes are strictly contraindicated, because during breathing practices, pressure builds up inside the organs, which can lead to undesirable results,
- during the first time after performing the practice, slight indisposition, dizziness and nausea may occur.
Proper belly breathing technique
In order to avoid undesirable consequences after performing breathing exercises, you should know which technique is correct. Practice is correct when the abdominal breathing is performed according to the following algorithm:
- breathing exercises are performed strictly 2 times a day, their duration is from 5 to 10 minutes,
- Those who have not yet mastered this method of breathing fully should do the exercises lying down, and in the process of their mastery, it will be possible to train standing or sitting,
- It is best to perform breathing practices on the street, but only in a place that is quite private and distant from industrial production,
- the practice room should be well ventilated before the classes begin,
- The first exercise always begins with a rather rapid inhalation, and then all inhalations and exhalations are performed in slow motion,
- the length of the inhalation and exhalation should be controlled, so the exhalation must be 2 times longer than the inhalation,
- it is also correct to follow the rhythm of breathing, gradually increasing the time between breaths.
Using breathing practices in yoga allows using the body to saturate with oxygen, relieve muscle tension and more comfortable to use the body to move from one asana to another. Also, abdominal breathing allows you to psychologically enter into a state where all attention will be directed only at the body, which will make it possible to realize those clips in the body that exist and, using breathing, work them out for further successful yoga.
The technique of breathing oxisis associated with losing weight, for its implementation is necessary. After completing a deep breath, round the abdomen and take a few small breaths further, then, without holding the breath, an exhalation is made, and then a few more exhalations are smaller. This technique is quite simple, but, nevertheless, to perform it automatically, you need to gradually get used to this type of breathing.
In the practice of qigong
Breathing in the abdomen is also used in qigong practice, which is based on performing various exercises, such as the “Wave” exercise performed from a prone position, with legs bent at the knees: putting your hand on your chest, and the second on your stomach, while inhaling, imagine that the air enters your body and is distributed as deeply as possible, while it is important that the hand, which is located on the stomach, rise and fall with each breath and exhalation, and the second hand does not move.
How to breathe in a vacuum
To pump up the abdominal muscles you can perform exercises for vacuum of the abdomen, which, despite their simplicity, are rather difficult for a beginner:
- Lie on your back and bend your legs, lower your arms along the body,
- take a deep breath, letting air out of your lungs,
- suck in your belly as deeply as possible and try to keep it in that position for half a minute,
- relaxing your belly, take a breath.
In fitness and bodybuilding
Many instructors in fitness centers warn those who decide to train the body that during training, in any case, you can not hold your breath, because This significantly reduces the effectiveness of training. For this reason, in the first classes you will definitely be taught proper breathing.
Frequently made mistakes and what you need to know
Before embarking on exercises, one should pay attention to the theory of breathing practices and especially focus on the mistakes that are often made in training, among them:
- it is necessary to increase the respiratory load gradually, allowing the body to adapt to a larger volume of oxygen,
- All exercises are performed 4 hours after eating,
- with existing heart disease or stomach ulcer, it is better to avoid abdominal breathing exercises,
- training must be constant, otherwise the therapeutic effect of training will not occur.
Features of the process and its description
Similar breath has some more names among which most on hearing:
This method of the respiratory process, when used ten minutes twice or three times a day, can provide the human body with the strongest physical and mental support. With little effort and patience, extra help and the process itself gradually enters the useful, at the subconscious level, habit of breathing through the nose only, without using your mouth:
- with inhalations, exhalations in length from three to five seconds.
In addition to the nose, the process must necessarily involve the chest and the diaphragm. Among the most popular techniques, “triangle breathing” is the most accessible in simplicity technique, often found in Ayurveda breathing practices, and its followers.
Очень важно усвоить, как правильно дышать, ведь прием правильного положения очень важен, поэтому во время начальных занятий руководствуйтесь следующей последовательностью:
- примите комфортное положение ‒ сидячее или лежачее,
- полностью расслабьтесь, включая мышцы живота,
- для контроля правильного процесса диафрагмального дыхания нужно положить руки на живот,
- take a deep breath through the nose, accompanying it with a slow count of up to five, subject to the rise in the process of inhaling the chest, not the abdomen,
- hold the breath, accompanying it with a score of up to three,
- make a slow exhale through the mouth, with complete release of air from the lungs, with a leisurely score of up to five.
According to the rules, the exercise should be repeated twice a day - in the morning and when going to bed, spending ten minutes on the process. The regularity of training promotes the development of the habit of deep breathing.
Unique qualities and conditions
The practice has many unique qualities that improve overall health and reduce the risk of developing chronic pathologies resulting from blood contamination. And all because deep breathing removes carbon dioxide from the body, cleansing it, and increases the amount of oxygen.
With the help of clean blood cells are washed with tissues, toxins are removed with slags and waste products. Oxygen saturation has a beneficial effect on the nervous system, which interacts with absolutely all parts of the body, improving overall well-being.
The ability to breathe deeply is the easiest way to significantly improve health without the use of medicines and traditional medicines. And the place and time here do not play a special role, there is no need for money resources and big efforts. Enough desire and a small amount of free time to heal independently without the help of doctors:
- Practically any place is suitable for doing exercises — an office, during a break for rest, a home is in the process of watching television, nature is walking,
- to achieve the best result, you can engage in music, while preference is given to pleasant, relaxing music or the sounds of nature,
- in the process of breathing the stomach should not move noticeably
- to remind you of the need for classes, it is advisable to use stickers hanging in the house.
It will take quite a bit of time, and your efforts will be rewarded with interest.
Benefit for health
What is useful deep breathing:
- Helps reduce stress by sending signals to the brain that stimulate the nervous system to relax and rest. At the same time, the production of stress hormone, cortisol, is markedly reduced. The health benefits are obvious, and it is achieved elementary - it is enough to find a comfortable place in a stressful situation and, alone, make a couple of deep breaths.
- It promotes weight loss with regular exercises and the observance of the correct technique of the process. Its effectiveness depends on the amount of oxygen entering the body, the more it is, the better the excess fat is burned. In addition, the place of concentration of breathing exercises in the abdomen, affects the change in blood flow to different areas of the brain, improves metabolic activity. Oxygen in large quantities is easier to destroy fat molecules, dismembering them into components in the form of water and carbon dioxide.
- It helps strengthen the lungs, because their daily training is a guarantee of good body activity. With the help of diaphragmatic respiration, lung tissue is expanded, therefore, pulmonary functionality is increased, inflammatory processes are prevented. Deep breathing is particularly important for people suffering from heart disease and diseases affecting the respiratory tract.
- Beneficial effect on the cleansing of the body. Everyone knows the important role of the lungs in eliminating toxic substances, but in the case of shallow breathing it is not fully implemented, which leads to the accumulation of toxins and the emergence of many health problems, weight gain and rapid fatigue. Deep breathing increases the functionality of the lungs up to one hundred percent, simultaneously pulling up to the desired level the work of the lymphatic system, which is also involved in the removal of toxins.
- It has the ability to lower blood pressure, strengthen and activate the parasympathetic system, remove harmful salts, provoking the instability of pressure. Proper breathing is a healthy heart.
- It can improve sleep, because in the evening, before bedtime, it acts as a sedative for the central nervous system, assumes the meditation role, relieves psychological stress. With a clear and calm head, it is easier to fall asleep, and sleep will be better. The greatest effect is achieved by combining deep breathing with other relaxation techniques in the form of a warm bath with aromatic oils, listening to a pleasant, soothing melody.
- Able to help in sea voyage, preventing seasickness, and will not be superfluous to everyone rocking in transport. For this category of persons, this is a real magic wand that activates the functions of the parasympathetic nervous system, which leads to a reduction in the symptoms of motion sickness.
- It helps to relieve pain, because the first reaction of the body to pain is expressed in holding the breath, and with slow, even and deep breathing, the symptoms decrease. Endorphins, which are natural painkillers in the body, are activated, thereby restoring control of the psychological state, blood flow, temperature of the skin and decreasing acid levels with an emphasis on an alkaline environment, which helps ease pain relief.
- It helps to fill with energy, as a result of increased oxygen supply and improved blood circulation, provided by diaphragmatic breathing. Additionally, the energy level and endurance increases, sleep becomes healthy, energy saving.
What is life, from the point of view of the Eastern sages? As it is written in ancient treatises: “Life is the interval between two breaths. He who breathes in half, and lives only half. He who breathes properly controls all his being. ” What else can be added to the story about deep breathing?
2. Stimulates the elimination of toxins.
Curious fact: the human body is created in such a way that it is able to remove most of the toxins by breathing.
- Carbon dioxide is a natural slag, which is formed as a result of metabolic processes in the human body. In order to function properly, our body must be regularly cleansed of this substance.
- Unfortunately, rapid breathing does not allow our lungs to get rid of carbon dioxide properly.
That is why it is so important to understand the value of the practice of deep breathing and allocate at least 10 minutes 3 times a day to it.
3. Deep breathing soothes pain
Often we unconsciously hold our breath when something hurts.
This natural mechanism is triggered by the brain. in those moments when we get a painful blow, push or injury.
If you suffer from chronic pain due to arthritis, lupus erythematosus or fibromyalgia, deep breathing will bring you relief.
Try to hold your breath for a few seconds, then take deep, consecutive breaths.
It stimulates the production of endorphins - natural analgesics.that produces our own body.
5. Stimulates the lymphatic system
The lymphatic system is an integral part of our body’s immune system. It consists of a large number of lymphatic vessels, tissues, organs and nodes that perform a number of important functions.
For example, lymphatic fluid removes dead cells and other waste from our bodies.
Deep breathing normalizes the flow of lymph, stimulating the body to detoxify. As a result, the functioning of the organs and systems of our body improves.
6. Taking care of our heart
Maybe you will be interested to know that during aerobic exercises our body uses fats as energy sources, and during strength exercises - glucose.
The practice of deep breathing is also considered a good aerobic exercise.
Thanks to her, the health of your cardiovascular system will become stronger, and the body will be easier to burn fat.
How to breathe correctly?
For the initial exercises you need, first of all, to take a comfortable position, sitting or lying down, and completely relax. In order to control the correct process of diaphragmatic breathing, place your hands on your stomach and relax your muscles.
Then inhale deeply through the nose, slowly counting to five, and make sure that it does not raise the chest, but the stomach. Hold your breath, counting to three. And just slowly exhale through the mouth, completely freeing your lungs from the air and slowly counting to five.
Repeat the exercise for five to ten minutes twice a day - in the morning and before bedtime. With regular exercises, you gradually get used to breathing deeply.
• Exercises can be practiced almost anywhere: during work breaks in the office, while watching TV, walking, etc.
• Classes are well conducted under pleasant, relaxing music or the sounds of nature - this will allow to achieve the best result,
• When performing exercises, the movement of the abdomen should not be too noticeable,
• Hang reminder stickers at home to remember to take a deep breath.
Health Benefits of Deep Breathing:
Deep breathing sends signals to the brain that stimulate the nervous system to relax and rest. This significantly reduces the production of stress hormone - cortisol, bringing our health considerable benefits. In stressful situations, try to move to a comfortable place and take a few deep breaths.
Regular exercises correct, deep breathing contribute to weight loss. The more oxygen enters the body, the more it burns excess fat. Since the breathing exercises are concentrated in the abdominal area, this causes a change in blood flow to different areas of the brain and has a positive effect on metabolism. In addition, a large amount of oxygen easier to cope with the molecules of fat, breaking them into water and carbon dioxide.
Cleans the body
The lungs play an important role in eliminating toxins from the body. But with shallow breathing, the lungs do not complete their work. Because of this, toxins begin to accumulate and entail many health problems, weight gain and rapid fatigue. Making the lungs work for all 100 will help deep breathing, while improving the functionality of the lymphatic system, which also removes toxins.
Deep breathing before bed well calms the central nervous system and performs the role of meditation, reducing psychological stress. And when the head is clear and calm, then it is much easier to sleep, and the quality of sleep is better. For greater effect, it is recommended to combine deep breathing with other relaxation methods: taking a warm bath, listening to pleasant music.
Chapter 6. Deep Breath - Death
If they ask you a question: how to breathe correctly? - you will almost certainly answer - deeply. And you will be fundamentally wrong, says Konstantin Pavlovich Buteyko.
It is deep breathing that causes a large number of diseases and early mortality among people. The healer proved it with the assistance of the Siberian Branch of the USSR Academy of Sciences.
What kind of breathing can be called deep? It turns out the most common breathing is when we can see the movement of the chest or abdomen.
"Can not be! - you exclaim. “Does all people on Earth breathe wrong?” In proof, Konstantin Pavlovich suggests conducting the following experiment: take thirty deep breaths in thirty seconds and you will feel weak, sudden drowsiness, light dizziness.
It turns out the detrimental effect of deep breathing was discovered in 1871 by the Dutch scientist De Costa, the disease received the name "hyperventilation syndrome."
In 1909, physiologist D. Henderson, conducting animal experiments, proved that deep breathing is fatal for all organisms. The cause of death of experimental animals was the lack of carbon dioxide, in which an excess of oxygen becomes poisonous.
KP Buteyko believes that by mastering his technique, it is possible to defeat 150 of the most common diseases of the nervous system, lungs, blood vessels, gastrointestinal tract, and metabolism, which, in his opinion, are directly caused by deep breathing.
“We have established a general law: the deeper the breath, the harder the person is sick and the faster death occurs. The shallower the breathing is, the more a person is healthy, hardy and durable. The value of carbon dioxide. She does everything. The more it is in the body, the healthier the person is. ”
The evidence of this theory are the following facts:
• during the prenatal development of a child, his blood contains 3-4 times less oxygen than after birth,
• brain, heart, and kidney cells need an average of 7% carbon dioxide and 2% oxygen, while air contains 230 times less carbon dioxide and 10 times more oxygen,
• when newborns were placed in an oxygen chamber, they began to go blind,
• experiments conducted on rats showed that if you put them in an oxygen chamber, they are blind from fiber sclerosis,
• mice placed in the oxygen chamber die in 10–12 days,
• A large number of long-livers in the mountains is explained by a lower percentage of oxygen in the air; due to thin air, the climate in the mountains is considered therapeutic.
Considering the above, K. P. Buteyko believes that deep breathing to newborns is especially harmful, therefore the traditional tight swaddling of children is the key to their health. It is possible that a sharp decrease in immunity and a sharp increase in the incidence of young children are due to the fact that modern medicine recommends that the child be given maximum freedom of movement at once, and therefore, it can provide destructive deep breathing.
Deep and frequent breathing leads to a decrease in the amount of carbon dioxide in the lungs, and hence in the body, which causes alkalization of the internal environment. As a result, the metabolism is disturbed, which leads to many diseases:
• nervous diseases (epilepsy, insomnia, migraines, a sharp decline in mental and physical disability, memory impairment),
• obesity, metabolic disorders,
• violations in the sexual sphere,
• complications of childbirth,
Symptoms of deep breathing according to K. P. Buteyko are “dizziness, weakness, headache, tinnitus, nervous tremor, syncope. This shows that deep breathing is a terrible poison. ” In his lectures, the healer demonstrated how attacks of certain diseases can be caused and eliminated through breathing. The main tenets of KP Buteyko’s theory are as follows:
1. The human body is protected from deep breathing. The first defensive reaction is spasms of smooth muscles (bronchi, vessels, intestines, urinary tract), they manifest themselves in asthmatic attacks, hypertension, and constipation. As a result of asthma treatment, for example, there is an expansion of the bronchi and a decrease in the level of carbon dioxide in the blood, which leads to shock, collapse, and death. The next defensive reaction is sclerosis of the vessels and bronchi, that is, the sealing of the walls of the vessels in order to avoid the loss of carbon dioxide. Cholesterol, covering the membranes of cells, blood vessels, nerves, protects the body from carbon dioxide loss during deep breathing. The phlegm secreted from mucous membranes is also a protective reaction to the loss of carbon dioxide.
2. The body is able to build proteins from simple elements, adding its own carbon dioxide and absorbing it. In humans, there is an aversion to proteins and there is a natural vegetarianism.
3. Spasms and sclerosis of blood vessels and bronchi lead to the fact that less oxygen enters the body. So, with deep breathing oxygen starvation and a lack of carbon dioxide are observed.
4. It is the high content of carbon dioxide in the blood that can cure most of the most common diseases. And this can be achieved through proper shallow breathing.
From the point of view of yoga, deep breathing is useful because:
- harmonizes the work of 5 different pranas (types of energy in the body), especially prana and apana,
- strengthens the manipura chakra if it is weakened. And if the breath goes "clavicle", superficial, frail - it is most likely just weak,
- allows you to maintain a decent, "working", "open" state of Anahata-chakra, the spiritual heart,
- gaining the amount of prana in the body - it feels like constant vigor, lifting, the presence of excess forces - physical and mental, “enthusiasm”,
- a positive effect on the state of digestion and health in general, which is beneficial for meditation,
- It gives calmness and constant concentration of attention, which is critical both for safe and advanced practice of asanas, and even more so for effective work in pranayama, and absolutely critical for meditation. A fussy mind cannot meditate, and the mind of a person who breathes “shallowly” is fussy and shallow.
- If you combine Full Yoga Breath with visualization of the rise of the energy flow (from the feet to the stomach, or from the feet to the top), the effect will be even better. На выдохе энергия «растекается», распределяется по всему телу. Это довольно примитивная визуализация, но она 100% работает!
Если человек может научиться — с помощью йоги — дышать медленно и глубоко, это однозначно полезно для здоровья и для йоги.
А в чем, собственно, разница между глубоким и неглубоким дыханием — «йоговским» и «обычным»? С точки зрения, как говорится, объективной реальности, а не каких-то йоговских соображений? It's simple.It is estimated that during the exercise “Full Yoga Breathing” - when a person, sitting level, breathes slowly and deeply, gas exchange in the lungs improves not only significantly, but 8 times!
The cost estimate is simple:
The volume of normal inhalation and exhalation at rest is 0.5 liters of air.
If a person (yogi) on inspiration specifically expands the abdominal area and chest, the inspiratory volume can be increased by another 2 liters (inspiratory reserve)
Plus, if you deliberately “breathe” after a regular inhalation, including pulling the abdomen, you can get rid of an additional 1.5 liters of “spent” air - “expiratory reserve”.
Thus, the volume of normal inspiration or expiration (non-yoga) is 0.5 liters - 4 times less than the volume of air that the yogi pumps: 0.5 + 2 + 1.5 = 4 liters.
So, nevertheless, slow and deep breathing is the most physiological, useful. And at the same time comfortable.
Deep breathing can conditionally be divided into 3 levels, or stages
- Inhale "belly" - the lower parts of the lungs,
- Breathing in "chest" - upper parts of the lungs,
- Breath "clavicle", "throat" - superficial "breathing" (the action of the body is the same as if we sniff the air, just without exhaling it right away).
Deep slow breathing with the inclusion of the lower parts of the lungs (breathing "stomach", p1.) Allows you to remove from the lungs stagnation of air and prevent the reproduction of pathogenic bacteria. During deep breathing indirectly (due to the work of the diaphragm), there is also a soft “massage” of the abdominal organs - the liver, stomach, etc., which removes old, stagnant blood from these organs, allowing it to be replaced with fresh oxygen-rich. Different directions of deep breathing influence positively, besides respiratory organs, on the circulatory, digestive and central nervous system.
Perhaps even more important in mastering yoga breathing exercises than in asanas is gradualness. Do a little bit, starting with 5-10 minutes, gradually, you can by the minute a day, increase the duration of breathing exercises.
Exercise regularly, every day. If you ever miss 1 day - there will be no big trouble, of course. (In particular, there may be gaps in women, in the first days of menstruation, and this is normal). But in general, the results come quickly, namely if you practice every day, it is better even 2 times a day - on an empty stomach. Exercise regularly and more, but without "fanaticism", without strain.
To make deep breathing habitual and “background” - it’s enough as soon as you remember it at any time of the day (but not at night - you don’t fall asleep later!) And in any situation, make several “full yogic” breathing cycles. That is, immediately, without delay, breathe deeply and slowly for at least a few seconds, or minutes. If you then get distracted by something, it doesn't matter. The main thing is that you have created a "reference point", and the respiratory habit will change. That is, remember about full yoga breathing more often, and gradually “weave” it into the “fabric” of ordinary life “outside the rug”.
Gradually slowed down, deep - at the same time, after passing through the stage of initial development, perfectly comfortable - breathing will become the norm for you. Yes, you may not breathe “in life” as fully as on a rug during the session. But overall, the breathing pattern will change. Maybe you will not use the volume of the upper parts of the lungs, including “clavicular” breathing at 100%. Well, it is not necessary. But when you begin to “turn on” your stomach breathing in everyday life, you will notice that pleasant changes have started to happen to you. Published on econet.ru
Join us on Facebook and VKontakte, and we are in Odnoklasniki