How to make the original charm "Dreamcatcher" with your own hands? How to make a double, triangular, original Native American talisman "Dreamcatcher".
So you want to in the modern high-tech world there was at least a little room for beliefs and traditions. But man believes in science more than God, or, especially, nature’s forces. Objects that were previously sacred, turned into simple jewelry.
The same happened to the dreamcatcher, the talisman of the Indians of North America. Bought in a souvenir shop or made independently, barely similar in design to authentic, it is not uncommon in houses and apartments of Europeans. And what if you believe that the dream catcher really works?
What is the dream catcher?
The dream catcher is an Indian talisman. In the original, he is a willow twig, bent into a circle, braided with a natural harsh thread, with the web of the thread inside. Dreamcatcher decorated with beads and feathers of birds.
They hung him over the bed and believed that the talisman would save him from nightmares, they would become entangled in his web. Joyful and joyful dreams will easily pass through a small hole in the center of the amulet.
Dreamcatcher is a talisman of North American Indians.
The dream catcher himself and each of his elements are very symbolic. Associated with the talisman of the ancient legends of North American Indians.
Thus, according to one of them, the elder of the natives of North America, the Lakota people, received a vision high on the mountain. In it, he talked with the spider, in which the teacher Iktomi was reincarnated. During the conversation, the spider's web, a symbol of human existence:
- The vicious circle that the spider has created from the willow twig symbolizes the cyclical nature of a person’s life: he is born as a baby and adults care about him. As he grows up, he gives life to new babies, and now he is responsible for taking care of them. And so on and on, endlessly
- The threads woven by the spider inside the ring are numerous life paths that are presented to man. And no one knows which one is the most correct.
- A web of threads is designed to protect a person from bad and evil, sort of sifting him
- The hole in the center of the talisman is the soul of a person, always and under any circumstances, open to something good and good.
- The feathers that adorn the talisman - this is the air, without which a person can not survive
Directly, the talisman is connected with good and bad dreams by another legend, according to which the woman - the spider Asabikashi presented it to the Indians. Her children were all the people of the earth. But when there were too many of them, and they settled on four sides of the world, Asabikashi had to teach women to take care of their babies themselves. She taught them to weave dream catchers and hang them over baby cots so that babies are not disturbed by nightmares.
IMPORTANT: By the way, the ritual object, similar to the Indian dream catcher, was also among the Siberian shamans. Ordinary people did not use it. A hoop with a web served as something of a net, into which both evil and good spirit fell, in order to appear at night to the shaman in a dream
Today, the dream catcher has been popularized. Few people understand its sacred meaning. Most often, they hang up a house for interior decoration, especially if it is decorated in ethnic style.
To get the dream catcher, it is not necessary to go to America or Siberia: talismans are sold in souvenir shops. Also, you can do it yourself.
Dreamcatcher do-it-yourself: step by step instructions
Before you start making a talisman, you need to decide why it will be needed.
- If the dream catcher is just a decoration in the room, everything is much simpler. The accessory will be only stylized as an Indian style; it is easy to find materials for it.
- If the dream catcher will be used for its intended purpose, in order to weed out the negative or banish bad dreams, you need to make it exclusively from natural materials.
- Willow branch It will be necessary to be a young flexible twig up to 1 mm thick, and not a twig. It is recommended to cut it until mid-autumn, while it has juice. Do it on a growing moon. Often for the manufacture of a dream catcher using rowan. Below will be described how to make a talisman of wooden hoop
- Threads. They must be dense, strong and natural. Best suited cotton, wool, linen
- Horsehair, leather or suede. They will be needed to decorate the mascot
- Beads. You need to make yourself or buy different sizes of wooden, metal or stone beads. You can also decorate the dream catcher with beads of natural stones. It is known that each of them is endowed with its own energy and is able to influence the health, behavior, and fate of a person.
- Feathers of birds. Choosing them is not just beauty. It is believed that if a dream catcher is made for a boy or a man, feathers of day birds (eagle, falcon, hawk, rooster, pheasant) are used, and if for girls or women, night birds (owls, guinea fowl, partridges, ducks)
IMPORTANT: Creating a modern version of the dream catcher, can not do without glue, scissors
While working on the talisman, they think only of the good, wish health, happiness, good and good dreams to those for whom the dream catcher intends.
- Bent wicker in the hoop. Its ends are fixed with thread. For reliability, you can glue them
- Wrap the hoop with coarse thread or cord. From the ends of the thread form a loop on which the dream catcher will hang
- Near this eyelet, a knotted thread is attached to the knot of lesser thickness, from which the cobweb will be woven.
- Depending on the size of the talisman at a distance of 2-5 cm from the knot, the first half-knot is made (the thread is wrapped around the hoop, its tip is threaded into a loop). Passes such half-nodes, located at the same distance from each other, throughout the entire diameter of the hoop
- Weave spider on. passing half-knots is no longer on the hoop, but on a thread
- Pebbles and beads are immediately strung on a thread during weaving, as a rule, this is done in random order.
- According to the principle described above, rows of internal loops are made until a hole of 1-1.5 cm is left inside the web.
- The thread in it is bound by a knot, the knot is fixed by glue
- At the end of the circle opposite to the loop, it is necessary to fasten several laces (from 1 to 9), which are also decorated with beads and stones. On their ends they tie or fix feathers of birds with special fastenings.
- In order for the threads not to sag, it is recommended to sprinkle them with hairspray (with strong fixation, without sparkles)
How to make a dream catcher with your own hands? Scheme
A dreamcatcher weave can be very unusual. Some masters manage to display whole pictures on the web. Presented the same simple schemes will help beginners.
Step by step scheme manufacturing dream catcher. Dreamcatcher with circular weaving: scheme. The scheme of weaving a dream catcher with a circle inside.
How to make a dream catcher out of a hoop?
As a basis for a talisman you can take a hoop. For example, a large wooden hoop. Hoops made of plastic or metal will do as well, but they need to be camouflaged by carefully wrapping them with thread.
- There are two options for using the hoop to make a dream catcher.
- The hoop is used in the same way as the willow branch - wrapped with a cord
- Holes are made in the hoop at an equal distance, through which the nikta will be passed
- Further, the dream catcher is done according to the principle described above.
How to make a dream catcher with a ring inside? How to make a double dream catcher?
For the manufacture of a dream catcher with a small ring inside it is necessary to supplement the list of materials and tools with another branch of a willow or a small hoop.
- Initially, the dream catcher is made just like a simple
- A small ring is wrapped with a cord or thread just like a big one.
- You can arrange a small ring clearly in the center of a large or random
- Both rings spread on the table, small inside a large one. Threads are wrapped around both rings, leaving an equal distance between the loops.
- You can repeat the winding in the other direction with a thread of a different color.
- A loop is formed on a larger ring, decorated with laces with beads and feathers.
Double dream catcher can be done in other ways. For example:
- Weave your own cobweb inside the small ring (this one with a different pattern, threads of a different color)
- Hang a small ring at the bottom of a large
- Weave together two rings of wicker with the same diameter.
How to make a triangular dream catcher?
If you make an interesting dream catcher not round, but triangular in shape, it will look like an Indian wigwam.
The shape of the triangle can be obtained in two ways:
- tie or glue three twigs, sticks, planochki of the same length
- bend the wicker
How to make a dream catcher amulet? How to make a little dream catcher with your own hands? How to make a dream catcher bracelet?
Dreamcatcher hang around the bed. But to protect against the negative, you can make a small version of it for yourself or your close, a kind of amulet that you can carry with you.
In the form of a small dream catcher, usually do:
- key rings
- hand or foot bracelets
So, to make a pendant on the neck, you need to buy in the shop of needlework:
- a circle of wood, plastic, metal for the base of the amulet
- metal rings (feathers, beads, etc. will be attached to the pendant on them)
- wood and metal beads
- crochet threads
- small feathers or pendants
- holder for pendant (bail)
- Inside one of the basics weave spider webs
- At will decorate it with beads
- Hang on the rings feathers or imitating their suspension
- At the top of the amulet attach bail
IMPORTANT: If you make a bracelet with a dream catcher, it is better to take a metal chain with large links or strips of leather for its strap.
How to make a dream catcher without feathers? How to make a dream catcher from beads?
If you make a dream catcher without feathers, he will no longer be a talisman. But the interior will decorate.
Variations on the theme of the Indian talisman are:
- crocheted dream catchers
- metal and plastic dream catchers
- bead dream catchers
The latter are made like original talismans, but the beads are strung on them not in an arbitrary order, but form a clear, thoughtful pattern.
Dream catchers from beads.
How to make a dream catcher "owl"? How to make an unusual dream catcher?
In Indian mythology, an owl symbolizes wisdom and insight. The dream catchers depicting this bird are very interesting. To do this, we need:
- two small circles of the same diameter
- two large beads
- beads for decoration
- owl feathers
- Rings bind or stick together. They are owl's future eyes.
- Inside the rings weave the same grid, it can be multi-colored
- Large beads, the pupils of an owl, are woven into the center of the nets.
- With the help of threads with beads, feathers of different sizes make owl beak, eyebrows, plumage
- You can take a larger circle and weave a bird's body out of it.
Next in the photo are examples of unusual interior decorations "Dreamcatcher".
Unusual heart-shaped dream catcher. Unusual bright dream catcher. Unusual dreamcatcher with five rings. An unusual dream catcher "Yin and Yang." Unusual crochet dream catcher.
Beautiful and stylish trap
You will need the following materials:
- jewelry cable,
- wooden hoop,
- cotton yarn (we used sectional) needle,
- wooden, glass and stone beads, beads,
- dyed turkey feathers,
- Crimp (or clamping beads),
- metal suspension
- jewelry alloy hats.
Wrap a wrap of wood or plywood with cotton yarn.
Cut a cotton thread about four to five meters long. Then gently tie one end of the thread to a ring of wood, and insert the other end of the thread into a needle.
Weave the first loop as shown in the image. Make sure that the thread is not tangled. Next, make a second loop.
Start the second row with the first loop of the first row.
In the second row we strung wooden beads on a thread. Make the second row and the third start with the first loop of the second row.
Only thread the thread this time through the beads.
When you finish the third row, tighten the thread slightly.
Next, weave another two or three rows and again make a row with beads made of wood.
Pass the thread through the beads again and then tighten it. Do this another two or three rows.
If you have run out of thread, make a bundle, secure it with glue and disguise it with a bead.
Tighten the last row, attach the metal suspension in the form of a feather and make a knot
Take the jewelry cable (you can replace it with a fishing line), put the crimp on one end and carefully clamp it with pliers or a special clip. Then thread the line or cord into a bead made of wood.
Gently insert colored feathers into the bead and put some glue into the hole.
Put a metal hat and beads on the cable. Put the crimp on the end of the cable, then pass the cable through the dream catcher, push it back into the crimp. Clamp the crimp. Decoration is ready!
So make four more decorations.
Again, take the cable and secure it with a cable on the left or right decoration with feathers.
Put on the cable beads and glass and stone beads. Fasten the cable on the opposite decoration.
Then pass the string with beads through the wooden beads.
Fasten the ends of the cable together with the aid of the crimp.
Cut all threads. If necessary, attach a hanging rope to the catcher. Our amulet is ready!
Amulet from scrap materials with their own hands
Such a product will become not only an original decoration for your home, but also a useful amulet that will protect you from nightmares and give you good dreams. For its manufacture, you can use the materials at hand that you will find in your home or on the street.
What you need to make a dream catcher:
- children's toy - spring,
- thick threads
- thin threads like "Iris",
- fine wire
- Moment glue,
- beads of different sizes.
To begin with, cut a circle from the spring. Connect its two ends with each other.
Rewind the scotch tape.
Take a thick thread and tie one end of it to the ring. Now start wrapping the ring with threads.
During the winding of the ring, make a loop by winding the thread under it, as shown in the photo.
Now cut the thread and make a loop for hanging the finished product.
Tie a loop into the knot.
Cut off the excess thread and glue the place of cutting with “Moment” glue.
Now tie a thin thread near the knot.
We begin to weave a "web". I do it by eye, but you can take a match or a small wand and measure equal intervals on the ring.
To gossamer stretch the thread, make a loop, as shown in the photo.
Continue to weave in a similar way the rest of the cobweb, making equal indents.
We do not bring the last division to the beginning of weaving, but leave a small distance, a little smaller in size than the division fragment.
Now we begin to weave the second row of cobweb.
Here is the second row and ended.
In the third row we will string the beads.
Beads are placed in random order, for example, on each fragment, or through one.
Now we tie a knot. We help ourselves crochet for knitting.
Prepare three cuts of thread. We fold them in half.
Fasten the thread to the ring.
Two threads will be on the sides of the ring and one in the middle.
Stringing a bead on a thread.
Insert the end of the pen into the hole of the bead. In order to hold the feather better, we fix it with a thin wire, winding it onto the feather and thread.
Excess wire cut off.
We also fix the beads and feathers on the other two cuts. Now you can glue all the docking elements with Moment glue to better fasten them.
The result is such a wonderful amulet with your own hands.
After production, the amulet should be cleaned in direct sunlight. To do this, just hang it on the street, let it hang under the sun and wind. When you use the dream catcher, do not forget to periodically clean it in the sun.
Instead of a circle from a children's spring, you can use a vine, hoops and other similar round objects. You can wind them with knitting threads, braid, laces. Beads can also be different, but if you decide to use natural materials, then be careful, because different types of precious and semi-precious stones affect people and their well-being in different ways. Therefore, to begin with, specify which kinds of beads are best to use in certain cases.
The same applies to feathers. Not all types of them can be used in amulets. Чаще всего применяют перья цесарки, утки, совы, фазана, сокола, куропатки, петуха. Перья следует брать чистые, в специализированных магазинах. Если вы не знаете источника природных материалов, то их лучше для начала почистить при помощи специализированных средств.
In addition, if you want the dream catcher to be correct and working, then it is worth making it only from natural materials, avoiding synthetics.
Fast and easy
Make this small amulet easier than ever.
We will need:
- thick threads
- regular thread
- few feathers.
Cut a circle from cardboard and wrap it with threads, fix it with a knot at the end and make a string, for which we will hang our trap.
In order not to weave a complex cobweb of threads inside, we take the beads, immediately fix them on the threads and tie them alternately to the edges of the circle.
And at the end of the down circle need to tie the feathers. You can use threads or chains, as is done in the photo.
Here is the amulet and ready. Sweet Dreams!
Handmade dream catcher earrings
You will need:
- copper wire - 30 cm
- various threads, waxed cord and harnesses for decoration,
- sewing needle
- two feathers
- accessories for earrings (clasps 2 pcs. and rings 2 pcs.),
- two wooden beads,
Cut 15 cm of copper wire, and then twist it into a ring with a diameter of 2.5-3 cm. It is important to twist the wire in several turns, and twist the ends around so as not to interfere.
Take a needle and insert into it the thinnest thread of your choice. Fasten one end of the thread on the copper ring using two knots.
Departing one and a half centimeters from the first knot, tie a second on the ring. It is important that the thread between the nodes was well stretched. Repeat this process until you reach the first node again.
When you reach the first knot, start tying the next knot not in the copper ring, but in the middle of the stretched thread. Tie the next knot on the next piece of thread, and so on until you reach the first knots again. You can make a couple more similar rows with nodes or stop at two.
Secure the last knot and cut the excess thread length. It should turn out in some way a cobweb inside a copper ring.
Take the waxed cord and braid the copper ring. Use glue for better adhesion to the surface, and also at the end, when you fasten the cord, glue the knots with glue.
Fasten the previously prepared ring on one of the sides of the future ear rings.
Take a thread, wind it three times around the tip of the pen, tie two knots. Thread the ends of the thread through the eye of the needle and implant one bead on it. Remove the needle and tie another 1-2 knots. The protruding tip of the pen can be cut off.
Using the remaining thread, fasten the feather on the ringlet. Insert accessories into the ring (earrings clasp).
Repeat the same procedure with the remaining material. Decoration is ready.
Video lesson - how to make a trap with a bead
Spectacular decoration with your own hands
Since ancient times, there are a lot of talismans that have magical properties. An artifact of the ancient peoples is the dream catcher. The roots of its origin can hardly be traced in our time, but the legends around this amulet are not few. The basic theory tells about the magical practices of ancient Indian tribes.
What is a "dream catcher"?
It is a talisman that has been used since the times of the Indians of North America to protect against bad dreams and visions. Woven cobweb inside willow hoop, decorated over with feathers and beads.
Today you can find a lot of various design variations (in the form of an owl, a cat, a heart, a rhombus, and any other geometric shapes). But the classic version is considered a circle, because, according to legends, the door to the world of dreams should be just such a form.
Magical features of the amulet
In the modern world, the “dream catcher” is already perceived more as a decoration, but few people know how many useful properties it carries with it. A web of threads can “filter” dreams. The bad ones will not be able to go through his defense, but the good ones on the contrary will come much more often. Dreams will become brighter and more colorful than usual.
Another feature is that the amulet helps to remember dreams, very often even the smallest details. For this, it is enough to look at the amulet hanging above your head before going to bed and go to bed in peace. In the morning, as a rule, a person can completely remember everything he dreamed of this or last night.
Where to place correctly?
The perfect place for a dream catcher is the head of the bed. The closer the talisman is to the person, the greater will be its positive impact. But just as well it can be placed in the middle of the room, for example, hang near a chandelier, where he can rotate and catch bad spirits easily. This is especially true if more than one person lives in a room (children, guest, etc.). Many people prefer to hang one talisman in the center, which will help protect the entire room.
Dream Catcher Master Class
Dreamcatcher - This is a dream charm that came to us from the traditional culture of North American Indians. He attracts the spirits of dreams, sifting out the "bad" - they become entangled in the web and dissolve with the first rays of the sun. The good spirits, knowing the correct way, gently gliding along the feathers, go down to the sleeping one, bringing him light, serene dreams. Such a network is usually hung where people sleep, so that it does not let the person have terrible dreams and bad thoughts that can overcome the sleeper. Dreamcatcher will be a wonderful birthday gift for friends and loved ones.
What to do: All natural materials can be used: only a wooden hoop, threads - wool, cotton, linen, horsehair, natural leather and suede, beads made of wood, stone or glass. The most important thing is to avoid synthetics.
Feathers must be selected on the basis of the gender of the person to whom the dream catcher is intended. The rooster, pheasant, eagle, and all other daytime predators (falcon, hawk, buzzard, etc.) are male birds for energy, symbolically associated with the Sun, Yang energy. Owl, guinea fowl, duck, partridge - birds associated with female energy. However, if you are a woman, but consider any of the "male" birds to be your totem, then it is even preferable to use its feathers. Below in the photo I will give examples of feathers that I have in stock:
Eagle and Buzzard Feathers
Painted rooster feathers
From natural stones It is worth using those properties that in a good way affect sleep, protect people from the evil eye, as well as those that are your personal talisman stones. Suitable for the dream catcher stones: amethyst, black agate, onyx, cat's eyes, fluorite, labradorite (spectrolite), charoite, jasper, amber, coral, rose quartz, serpentine, malachite.
Hoop. You can buy a wooden hoop, but the best is to bend a willow branch. It is better to do this before the onset of frost, while the juice is still flowing along the branches of the plants, and they are flexible. If a person is pursued by a dead person in a dream, then you can take a rowan branch (the rowan has charms and drives away the dead. Therefore, in Russia, for example, rowkins are often planted around cemeteries). The branch should be cut off on the growing moon, it is better not thick (everything that is thicker than 70 mm is difficult to bend, especially in a small circle). The edge of the branch must be split. I do it with the same shears, which I cut branches. It can be a knife, but I feel uncomfortable. This is necessary in order to close the edges of the branch at the end, and so that they do not protrude from one line. Overlap is obtained. Bending the branch must be very slow. At first, I didn’t have enough patience, I was in a hurry, as a result, the branches cracked, and everything had to start anew. After receiving the circle, we join the edges of the branch, fasten it with a stationery clip or tie it tightly with a thread. Leave the stock to dry. I put on the battery, in 2-3 days the branch completely dries out and takes shape. The clamps can be removed, the round hoop can be carefully removed, fixed with threads, tied tightly with the joint.
How to do:
Dreamcatcher must be weaved in one breath, not being distracted by other thoughts and deeds. Otherwise, he absorbs those thoughts and emotions that the master was experiencing. Need to pre-tune. Wash, take off the daily negative, think about the good, think about the person for whom we are a catcher, to formulate what we want to wish for him. When formulating, it is necessary to avoid any “NOT” particles, their subconscious mind refuses to perceive, it acquires the opposite.
For the dream catcher in this master class were used:
- willow hoop,
- pheasant feathers and black marabou feathers,
- wood beads,
- stones: jasper, rose quartz, labradorite,
- 100% wool thread
- cotton threads,
- Moment glue.
First we weave a hoop with thread or cord. While we are wrapping up, we wish the owner of the catcher all the good: good dreams, bright dreams, bright dreams, colorful dreams, interesting worlds in dreams, etc. Fix the thread, make a loop to hang it.
Then we tie a thread for weaving a web. I use thin threads like Iris or ordinary sewing, if the stone beads have a very thin hole. The principle of weaving is shown in the following photos. Traditionally, 9 or 11 joints of a string with a hoop are made, based on this, we plan the distance between the places of tightening the loops. It is important to make equal intervals between the fixation points of the threads and keep the structure in good tension. Along the way, you can stick beads.
After the first circle is braided, you need to measure the length of the thread for the catcher. This, unfortunately, does not teach, it is experimentally achieved. The diameter of this catcher is 12 cm, the thread was about 110 cm. We wind the thread onto the shuttle or catch it with a needle (if we weave the beads into the web, then we need a needle), we start the second circle. We make loops, as shown in the photo - we tighten the loop into the knot through the middle of the segment in the previous circle:
Thus we repeat many, many laps in a row clockwise, simultaneously weaving beads:
Well, we dobled to the center. Here it is necessary to leave a hole in such a size so that the tip of the index finger is placed in it.
The hole is the possibility of an emergency exit from sleep, so to speak. You can attach a bird feather or a piece of fur, or a pebble to it. The last knot, after which we will cut the thread, should be fixed for reliability with quick-setting glue.
Then we attach the feathers. We tie threads to a hoop with a cobweb 15-20 cm long at points where there would be 3.6 and 9 hours on the clock, respectively:
Strung on beads for decoration. It is necessary to choose such that the tip of the pen is placed in their inner hole. Feathers are threaded into the last beads on a string, the junction is fixed with glue.
When all the feathers are attached, our dream trap will look like this:
We allow her to rest for a few minutes so that the glue will dry completely. Then we hang it in the sun (symbolic pre-cleaning with solar energy) for a day. After this dream catcher can be hung at the head of the sleeper. Periodically you will need to re-post it in the sunlight.
As a result, you will get an interesting and unusual gift made by yourself:
Dream Catcher Background - Its Meaning
If you still do not know why you need a dream catcher, then as mentioned above, this Indian mascot protects you during sleep from evil spirits and bad dreams. Evil spirits fear approaching the Ring of Dodger, and bad dreams become entangled in the web. Good dreams, without having the “burden” of negative, possessing clean energy, flow freely, like clean water through a network.
Weave made from harsh threads, leather, veins and willow twisted in the form of a hoop. An even number of feathers are woven underneath the hoop. Hang on the wall, above the head of the bed. The dream catcher “self-cleans” every morning from the trapped energy debris while interacting with the sunlight.
From the 60s of the 20th century, with the development of the hippie movement, fashion for all ethnic and traditional, interest in dream trappers has grown to unprecedented heights. Since then, in the circles who are fond of esotericism and new-age, this amulet has become a kind of “must have” - an essential element of home decoration.
What is required for work
- willow hoop,
- pheasant feathers and black marabou feathers,
- wood beads,
- stones: jasper, rose quartz, labradorite,
- 100% wool thread
- cotton threads,
- Moment glue.
First stage - braiding a hoop with a cord or yarn. At the end, we fix the thread, make a loop so that the trap can be further hung.
Getting Started Weaving Webs. You can take thin strings like Iris. By tradition, make an odd number of corners of the docking thread and hoop. Usually 9 or 11, while it is important to make the same interval between the joints, as well as to control the tension of the frame. If you use beads, then randomly stick them on the cobweb.
All subsequent circles inwards will decrease, while the number of connections will remain the same as in the first pass, just the distance will be reduced. Measure out the thread immediately with a margin, for example, this catcher took about 110 cm of the thread for the gossamer.
Beads and Pebbles weave on your own.
When you fly to the center, you will need to finish weaving.. The hole in the center is designed to skip good dreams, and the technology just further weave becomes extremely uncomfortable. There are craftsmen whose central hole is so small that it only remains to be amazed at the delicacy of their work.
Then comes the turn of feathers. They are tied to the hoop thread. Attachment points with feathers are regulated for 3, 6 and 9 hours, if we consider the circle as a dial. Additionally, you can bind the thread for another 8 and 4 hours.
Beads, stones, etc. can be put on these feather threads.
After all our actions, the dream catcher will look like this.
Before you hang the catcher at the head of the bed, it should be zeroed in the sun. Bring the trap to a sunny place and leave for the day. By evening, your hunter will be ready to catch bad dreams.
Dream catcher with his own hands
© Anna Varnashova - https://goo.gl/v1yEff
Dream Catcher Legends
The history of the amulet goes far back to the days of the North American Indians. There are several different legends about the dream catcher:
- The first is rooted in the American Lakota tribe. It speaks of an ancient elder who once dreamed of the shaman Iktomi. He had the appearance of a spider, symbolizing wisdom. In the dream, he took a shaman hoop, which was decorated with horsehair, feathers of birds and colored beads, and wove a web in it. The hoop was made of wicker. For Indians, it was a symbol of the life cycle - a person is born as a baby, grows and matures, and in old age turns back into a helpless child. In the dream, Itkomi told the elder that the dream catcher would help the whole tribe - he would catch the good thoughts and dreams in the net, and the evil ones would not be able to hold out and fly through the hole in the center of the web.
- According to other legends, the dream catcher first appeared in the history of the Ojibwe Indians. In their beliefs, there is the spider Asabikashi, the patroness of the female part of the tribe, who trained women to weave a network for dreams. Asabikashi in ancient times was a simple woman, the mother of all people on earth. When people became a great multitude, the woman began to patronize all the fair sex and taught them wisdom - how to be a mother. To protect children from evil night spirits, she created a talisman. According to this legend, good dreams fall into the net of an amulet hanging over a sleeping man and roll on it along feathers, while evil ones get stuck in the threads and die with the first rays of the sun.
- Another legend is very similar to the belief about the spider. The only difference is that it was not a deity, but an ordinary spider, which the woman rescued from the hands of her child, and in gratitude he taught her how to weave a web for dreams. By the way, this legend became the reason for the prohibition against killing spiders.
- On the American dreamcatcher is very similar to the talisman of the peoples of Siberia. But according to their legends, the dream catcher could belong exclusively to the tribal shaman and participated in shamanic practices. The amulet played the role of a reservoir of thoughts and spirits, they gathered in a cobweb during the day, and at night descended into the consciousness of a shaman.
How does the amulet and its value
The main function of the dream catcher is to collect and filter dreams. Good energy, thoughts, dreams descend along feathers into the consciousness of a sleeping person, and bad ones fly past and disappear with the advent of the new day. Also charm protects the sleeper from evil spirits.
Dream catchershould be in the bedroom, above the head of its owner.
Why do we need one or another element:
- wicker hoop - a symbol of life. The material was also chosen with meaning: it gradually dried out, and after it cracked and broke from the strong tension of interlaced threads, this meant the end of one of the stages of human life,
- web - interlacing of roads, of which a person chooses a path during his life, without knowing in advance which will be the right one. The cobweb should connect to the rod at eight points, the number of which symbolizes the number of spider legs,
- feathers in some superstitions, people were chosen depending on the sex of the person to whom the amulet was intended: eagles, symbolizing courage, were suitable for men, and owlish, meaning wisdom, for men. According to other legends, in any case, it was possible to use daws feathers,
- feather in the center hole - breath, air, the basis of life,
- decorative items (beads, horsehair braids, curly knots) - served as decoration. Также считалось, что бусинки смогут крепче задержать мысли и духов сновидений в сетях. Для косичек наилучший вариант – это волос из хвоста белой кобылицы.
Делаем ловец снов своими руками
The dream trap is a powerful amulet, and in the making of every thought, emotion, feeling, they are absorbed into the details and influence its work. In the best case, details of the catcher must be found on their own, because in stores with similar attributes, items are made by someone, which means that they were imprinted with other people's thoughts and feelings.
Materials and tools to create an amulet
The basis of the dream catcher is a willow twig - a young flexible twig of willow can be found in the middle of autumn. It is twisted into a circle, which is then woven around the thread. Rowan can become an analogue of willow. The base can be replaced with a metal ring.
You will also need strong yarn from natural materials - wool, linen or cotton. One will need a thicker one - for wrapping the hoop, and the other is thinner - for cobweb.
By tradition, the feathers for the dream catcher needed to be obtained from a living bird, since the death of a living being imposes a negative imprint on the amulet. For men, according to the surviving legends, the feathers of birds awake during the day (eagles or hawks) should be chosen, and the feathers of nocturnal birds (owls, guinea fowl) will suit women.
Horsehair - for decoration. You will also need beautiful beads made of stone or wood. You can make them with your own hands, and you can even put patterns on wooden ones.
According to Scandinavian superstitions, the colors used in the manufacture of a dream catcher are of particular importance. Each color in its own way affects a person:
- White - the conductor of light and good, symbolizes purity and innocence.
- Green - the color of plants, charges the biofield owner with positive energy, helps to achieve life goals.
- Red is the color of flame and passion, contributes to the development of willpower and vital energy, and also helps to awaken hidden talents and positively influences creative individuals.
- Purple - helps to make the right decisions in serious situations, to establish inner harmony.
- Black - will strengthen the confidence in the forces and charge the character.
- Blue - cleanse from confusion and anxiety, fill with positive energy and promotes inspiration.
- Blue - symbolizes stability, security. Balances, develops intuition.
- Yellow - strengthens mental flexibility, stimulates free thinking.
- Orange is the color of joy and sensuality. It creates a balance between masculine and feminine.
The colors can be your favorite or the person to whom the dream catcher is meant. They will help to establish those areas in life for which they are responsible. For an amulet, you can choose one color, or a combination of several.
It is recommended not to use bright colors if the amulet will be used for its intended purpose, and not as an interior decoration. Such shades will attract too realistic, colorful dreams, and a person will not be able to sleep, relax, gain strength.
Step-by-step instructions for creating a dream catcher
- The rod is bent into a circle so that a tight hoop is obtained. As a rule, its ends are fastened with a strong thread. For greater strength, it can be greased with glue along with wood.
- The frame is wrapped with thread clockwise overlapped.
- The thread can be replaced with a cord made from natural components.
- Then go to the weaving of the web inside the base. To do this, take a thinner thread and tie to the prepared hoop.
- Then, depending on the diameter of the ring, we retreat from 2 to 5 cm, we throw the thread on the base and make the knot so that it stretches slightly between two points.
- So that the distance between the nodes was symmetrical, you can make notes on the hoop in advance with a pencil.
- Then, we do the second round of knotting, which is no longer on the basis, but on the first row of threads.
- Having completed the second round, we proceed to the next one, gradually approaching the middle.
- In the process of braiding, we thread decorative beads on a string in random order. At first glance, the process of weaving a cobweb may seem complicated, but as soon as you get down to business, you will understand that it is quite simple and entertaining.
- In the very center of the web we make a knot to complete the basis for the trap.
- During the making of the dream catcher, you need to think only of the good, so that the talisman will be fed with positive thoughts and feelings.
- We decorate the ring with cobwebs and feathers, hanging them with the help of threads, add other shading elements to your taste.
So that the threads do not sag, they can be lightly covered with hairspray without spangles. – so the web will become a little denser and it will be better to keep the shape.
We recommend to watch the video of the master class for making a dream catcher with your own hands:
Where to hang the amulet
As a rule, the place of the dream trap is at the head of the bed. Where to hang the amulet is best:
- on the ceiling above the bed - the best option, the amulet should be in the air,
- on the wall at the head,
- on the chandelier so that the trap spins freely in space.
Thus, he will catch in the network of good spirits and send them to the person, and the evil will be entangled in the threads. With dawn, the latter will be destroyed by sunlight.
To protect against the negative effects of others, you can make a small amulet that fits in your pocket, and carry it with you.
Could harm such an amulet
The dream catcher can really do harm, like any other amulet that serves as a conductor between man and other forces. It can harm only in one case - if it is incorrectly done. For example, if non-natural materials are used: synthetic fabrics, plastic beads or base, glass jewelry, chicken feathers.
An improperly made catcher can cause bad dreams, which contributes to fatigue and chronic sleep deprivation.
The use of amulet in the modern world
Today, the charm is used for its intended purpose by those people who know the nuances of making, legends about the appearance and know how to properly use the catcher. Otherwise, it is an interior decoration and can be made not at all as a traditional dream catcher. You can also find women's jewelry: earrings, pendants in the form of a dream catcher on chains and bracelets.
Dreamcatcher in the form of a tattoo
A tattoo in the form of a dream catcher protects a person from negative energy in the daytime, and at night attracts positive dreams. Often in the drawing of a circle they depict a totem animal - the head of an owl, the grin of a wolf or a bear face.
The location of the tattoo also plays an important role - you need to fill closer to the head, for example, on the neck or shoulder.