- How to sew a blanket with his own hands
- How to sew a quilted bedspread
- How to sew a blanket on a large bed
- - decorative fabric,
- - cotton fabric
- - synthetic winterizer
- - slanting inlay,
- - sewing supplies.
- bed covers for yourself
Do not be mistaken with the size
It happens that it is quite difficult to buy a bedspread, especially if the bed is a non-standard size or too large. Because of this, you may encounter a problem, when there is nothing to choose from, and you want so much that the bedspread, especially in the color scheme, blends in perfectly with the interior of the whole bedroom. In this case, if the house has a sewing machine, you can sew a real masterpiece in an easy way.
First you need to measure the bed, along with the mattress, its length, width and height. In order not to be mistaken with the size, it is better to repeat and perform measurements twice. If the cover is planned to be covered over the pillows, then it is necessary to take into account their height too, so that the bottom of the cover covers the bedding sufficiently and in your opinion has an acceptable length to the floor. In this matter, everything is calculated individually, depending on what size of bedspread you want.
Having well thought over the style of the desired bedspread, it remains to determine the choice of fabric, what material you would like to see in your bedroom. Perhaps it will be with a smooth satin surface, thick tapestry, wool or soft organza.
Having decided on the choice, you can start cutting frills that will serve as a worthy decoration for the bedspread. Their width, length, which can be any, is measured in advance, and 4 cm for seam allowances is added to the height.
The veil will also look great if you finish it with an edge. It is necessary in order to not see the seams when grinding parts. A piping can be carved out of the remnants of the fabric, which will harmonize well with another shade of fabric, then it will be called as an additional material.
Now all the parts obtained are connected, the side parts with the main sheet of the cover, and the ruffles together with the side parts are sewn in a circle, so that the side seams are connected to the sheet.
Kant should be sharpened face-to-face to the canvas and cut the corners so that it lies flat on the canvas.
Frills twist and zatyuyvayutsya twice. At the end, it remains to stitch them with a double stitching on a sewing machine, after which the blanket can be considered ready.
The sewn blanket with your hands will remain with you unique and in its own way unique. Thanks to him, the bedroom will have a finished look of the interior, will remain a personal pride and will delight you and the whole family day after day.
Tip 4: How to sew a comfortable cover on the sofa
Of course, you can buy a ready-made cover and not suffer with sewing, but the thing made with your own hands is still more convenient, because you need to sew according to individual sizes, which means that the cover will not be too big or too small, as is the case with ready-made things .
The simplest cover for a sofa is a usual rectangular cape from dense fabric. For example, a furniture tapestry is perfect, it has been proven by many years of using such a fabric for upholstering furniture and sewing covers for it.
Another version of the cushion on the sofa - in the photo. Its pattern, as you can see, is extremely simple - you need to cut out a large rectangle and two small ones (in the diagram it is a dark gray rectangle, and two light gray ones).
The calculation of the size of the details of the pattern should be made individually, depending on the size of the sofa:
1. The dark gray rectangle should have a width equal to the width of the sofa seat + 4-6 cm for the hem edge, a length equal to AB + BC + CD (AB is the height of the backrest + thickness of the backrest + about 30 cm + 2 cm for the binder, BC this is the width of the seat, the CD is the thickness of the seat + from 10 to 30 cm + 2 cm for a binder).
2. Two light gray rectangles with dimensions of each piece CE to BC, where CE is equal to the height of the handle + thickness of the handle + approximately 40 cm + 2 cm for the sheet, BC is the width of the seat + 2 cm for the sheet on each side.
The sewing process is simple - we sew every detail and sew rectangles according to the scheme.
If you wish, make pockets for trivia such as a remote control, a TV program. Pockets are cut out by the individual sizes, but not less than 20 by 30 cm each, sewn on a cape on the sides.
Begin to sew a pillow with the selection of fabric. For her, not necessarily go to the store. Maybe your child has grown, but his cover is left white or blue? It is perfect. You can create a designer item from an ordinary white sheet. If you have a cut of pink fur fabric with a small pile, velor, flannel, you will get a soft and pleasant to the touch product.
Take a drawing paper or a piece of cardboard measuring 50x30 cm. With a pencil draw a cloud on it. Wavy edge decorate with a cup, glass. Turn these kitchen utensils upside down. The bowl will help to make protruding waves, the glass - concave. In this process, complete improvisation is allowed. You can represent the cloud the way you want. Fans of the correct forms can fold the cardboard in half lengthwise, draw a wavy line from above and from the sides, cut along the outlined contour. Now the sheet unbends and a symmetric cloud appears before your eyes.
Fold the fabric in half with the sides facing each other. Attach the finished piece to the wrong side. Pin it with pins. Not much pressing on a simple soft pencil, outline the contours. Remove pins and patterns, cut along pencil lines, leaving 1 cm on all sides for seam allowances.
Cover the edges with a zigzag stitch or overlock. If the machine has such an operation, when you can create a seam at the same time and sweep it over immediately, use it. If you have nothing to work on the edges, you don’t want to do this in your hands, nothing terrible, you can leave them natural, but you need to sew 2 halves of the pillow cloud together. Do not forget to leave on one of the small sides of the empty space, equal to 10-15 cm.
Through it, unscrew the cushion blank on the front side. This hole will help in filling the product. Put an easy synthetic winterizer. Pre it needs to be cut into small pieces. Spread the filler evenly. Take a needle and thread in tone, sew a hole in your hands. Pillow-cloud ready.
If you are sewing for a child, you want an appliqué on one of the sides of the product, create it in advance. After you have made cutting, swept over the edges of the details, proceed to the decoration. The idea for the application will be prompted by a children's picture book. Transfer this pattern to the fabric.
Attach the details of the appliqué to the fabric of a suitable color, cut without seam allowances. Now place them on the front side of one of the parts of the pillow-cloud and sew overlay stitches. You can attach a piece of red braid, making it a framing of a smiling mouth, stitch with the usual seam. Blue braid will be the eyes. The cheerful face of the cloud is ready.
If these decorating methods do not suit you, attach the glue appliqué with an iron. Then sew the pillow parts, leaving a gap, put a light filler through it.
The child will be delighted. On a pillow with your favorite characters, he quickly falls asleep. And the adult will like a handy thing.
Choosing a bedspread model
The simplest cover - rectangle of fabricpreferably tapestry. It can be cut out and sew without lining.
If you want to have a silk or satin cover, more elegant, also with a frill on the edge, you must additionally stock up with padding polyester and fabric for the lining.
For the lower layer is usually chosen fabric simpler.
Given below step-by-step instruction it is intended for those skilled workers who for the first time undertake to create quilted bedspread independently with the introduction of their ideas into the work.
We take measurements
We arm ourselves with a measuring tape and measure the bed or sofa along, across and in height.
On a piece of paper in the cell in the selected scale build a drawing for clarity.
It turns out to be a rectangle, with stripes attached to its sides, the width of which corresponds to the height of the bed or sofa.
Planning fabric consumption
You can immediately put on the drawing line, which will run the stitch of the bedspread.
The drawing itself should consist of squares or diamonds of exactly the same size.
Choose a convenient size is easier on paper, where the unsatisfactory result can always be corrected.
Scheme on paper
Calculating the consumption of fabric, you need multiply the total length of the frills by 1.5.
Perhaps, for their tailoring will be enough of those bands that will remain after the cut of the main fabric.
- With a fabric width of 140 cm of quantity, the material for the frills is calculated separately and added immediately so that you do not abuse yourself.
When choosing a fabric you need to pay attention to its width.
- So, for a double bed the width of 140 cm may be insufficient, and additional seams may adversely affect the appearance of the finished bedspread.
It is better to immediately take a width of 280 cm.
Scheme cut bedspreads
If satin or silk is chosen, the materials are rather slippery, the cutting process should be approached carefully.
It is most convenient to fold the fabric twice in length so that the length of the upper part of the fold line is equal to half the desired length.
You can do the same with the width. Then close to the line of cutting in several places to connect layers with pins or needles.
In the same way, a sintepon lining and the bottom layer are cut out in size, but it is possible not to allow for shrinkage.
Only a top-class seamstress can afford to quilt a blanket immediately on a typewriter. The rest will have to be patient and a template cut out of thick paper based on preliminary calculations.
The template (square or diamond) must be full-scale.
Starting from one of the corners on the front side of the product, we apply our workpiece and, trying to capture all three layers, we “draw” the lines with a basting stitch.
Outlined - we shift the square (rhombus) close to the line with one side, and the next one - to the edge, sew again.
And so on until we reach the opposite corner.
- The future cover during work should be on a smooth surface.
- If possible, try to scribble as close as possible to the basting, but without stepping on it, then the auxiliary thread will be easily removed.
As a workout
From the first time it is difficult to get the perfect result.
Who does not want to risk, maybe, before sewing a silk quilted bedspread, first practice on a quiltFor example, for a cot.
Equipment patchwork (patchwork) allows you to tamper on even long seams on the almost finished drawing, or rather, prepared on the basis of the idea.
Patchwork Technique (Patchwork)
With patchwork any used items in the house are used, and the flaps of old jeans will give strength to the veil, if they “fit” into the overall scheme.
- It is simpler to assemble a cloth from shreds of fabric prepared in the form of identical (patterned) squares, rhombuses, rectangles or triangles than to get the same shapes on a cloth that slides in the hands, while stitching on a typewriter.
If the work from the first time passed without difficulty, and the result inspired new products, the craftswoman took place!
How to make a blanket or blanket with your own hands: options
When you choose the method of making a rug with your own hands, please note that it should support the overall concept of interior design, combined with wallpaper, furniture style and color of curtains. The most popular options for today to make a bedspread on a bed or sofa include:
- Tie a blanket with a hook or knitting needles,
- Sew out numerous patches (patchwork),
- Make a rug out of hand-made pompons
- Sew a double-sided blanket of two types of fabric.
Let's take turns looking at photos of interesting examples and step-by-step instructions on how to use all of the above methods.
Cozy knitted blankets and bedspreads
A knitted blanket looks very cool and truly cozy in the interior. As a rule, he brings a touch of rustic or bohemian style, although in a monochromatic version and with a dense viscous it can look quite modern. In the process of creating a knitted rug with your own hands, it is not necessary to adhere to one scheme. You can make your own adjustments, play with the color of the threads and turn your plans into reality without restricting yourself to anything. Several such ideas for creativity with knitting and crocheting are presented to you in the following photos. Pay attention to how effectively and stylishly the blanket made by large-knit hands looks.
Large viscous blankets: Unusual crocheted floral blanket:
How to decorate bedspread tassels: Crochet tone:
A simple way to sew patchwork quilt patchwork
Tailoring a patchwork bedspread is not a difficult, albeit a rather lengthy process. You will find all the necessary materials for it at hand: old pillowcases, curtains, clothes, etc.
How to sew a blanket of shreds with your own hands? Here is a step by step instruction:
- Decide on the dominant shade of the fabric, and then pick up colors that blend well with it.
- Using a cardboard template, a ruler and scissors cut the required number of square shreds. Traditionally, their size is 15 * 15 cm. At the same time about 1 cm on each side of the square will go to the seams.
- Alternating various patterns and colors of fabrics, sew all the patches together. This will be the front side of the patchwork cover.
- Smooth the inner free edges of the squares with a hot iron,
- As a blanket backside you can use a sheet, a solid piece of cloth or also scraps.
At your discretion, you can leave the seams outside and slightly “foul” them, as well as decorate the patchwork cover with an additional line, as in the following photo.
By the way, there is another interesting way to make a patchwork bedspread with your own hands - from crocheted patchwork. Step-by-step instructions and examples of finished works in the photo below:
Instructions for creating a rug from pompons do it yourself
Funny and very soft plaid of pompons can also be made by hand using different methods:
1. Decorate the knitted cover with pom-poms,
2. Bind pompons to a special thread base, which can be done using a simple home frame,
3. Sew on pompons on a dense textile base,
4. Tie bulk knitting.
Below we offer you some simple ways to make pompons with your own hands.
How to sew a blanket on the bed with their own hands - 5 photos
In winter, an additional cover will be very useful. And give the heat, and the design of the bedroom will update. This season it is fashionable to decorate the bed with a large cage, monophonic fabrics with nap and Christmas motifs. We offer you a photo for inspiration and step by step instructions on how to sew a double-sided cover on the bed with your own hands.
Which cover to choose?
- If you are a fan of classics and volume, then a quilted bedspread is the best option for clothes for your bed. A stitch gives it shape, if you decide to use a fabric with a pattern, then it is also able to emphasize certain details, to highlight the motifs that seem to you the most important. For example, we select stitch flowers and leaves, if you choose a floral matter, or certain patterns, elements, shapes, if the pattern of the fabric is abstract or geometric. To create such covers, it is best to choose dense, non-slip fabrics, as they are much easier to quilt smoothly and carefully.
- The option with a border or a contrast edging is also a very interesting and bright idea, which is especially appropriate on beds with high legs. The rim very concisely completes the image of your bed, hiding from extra eyes, folded things under the bed or not the cutest legs of the bed. In addition, bedspreads with ruffles very skillfully fit into any decor and make it livelier.
What you need to create a fashionable bedspread?
First of all it is, of course, material. If your room is dominated by a rural or rustic style, you can try to create a patchwork style bedspread, which is made on the basis of patchwork sewing techniques.
What is remarkable, this technique is very much in vogue lately, besides, you do not have to spend money on expensive fabrics, because such a blanket can be made from all that uneconomic housewives throw away, that is, from trimmings and small patches.
If you are a non-permanent person and like change, then try to sew a double-sided blanket: the technique is the same as in the one-sided version, and the output is a double pleasure!
Lovers of palace and romantic styles should better turn their attention to fabrics of rich colors, framing them with rich ruffles and tassels, you will give your curtain a truly royal charm. Light oriental silk fabrics, Persian drawings and colorful tapestries will transform your room into an oriental tent, but the cheerful summer and spring colors of light, linen or cotton fabrics will remind you of country style country.
Важными инструментами для пошива хорошего покрывала являются: швейная машинка, набор иголок, нитки в тон, ткань для набивки – синтепон или ватин (если понадобится). Также не забудьте обзавестись измерительным инструментом и тканью для подкладки (в случае лоскутного покрывала).
First of all, it is necessary to calculate the size of your future bedspread, which is directly dependent on the dimensions of the bed or sofa. To create a competent pattern, you need to measure the length and width of your bed, but if the bedspread is decorated with a frill, then the height.
Of course, to sew a frill correctly, you have to work hard, but with such an element, your creation will get a finished and decorative look.
Remember, to the measurements you received, it is better to add a few more centimeters, at least 5 on each side, because if you decide to sew a quilted blanket, the upper fabric will lose in size in all directions.
The fact is that when you quilt your bedspread, there will always be an error in the fabric, which “sits down” when sewing stitches and stitches.
The same applies to the bottom lining and insulation, which also need to add a couple of centimeters. Excess fabric can always be cut, but the lack of a fight is much harder. In order to quilt a blanket, it is necessary to carefully draw the pattern of geometric shapes: they will be better, this will not make the cover worse, but it will be much easier to flash it.
It is best to cut one stencil out of paper — a rum or square that will be used as a template. It is necessary to do all the markings manually, throwing the necessary geometric pattern with light threads - this way it will be easier to sew with a machine, and the lining with insulation will already “sit” in the required place. When all basting is ready, it will remain to stitch a blanket on it and to process edges.
The easiest way is to tuck all the ends inwards with a secret seam and sew up the coverlet tightly, but in this case, you will be left without a beautiful frill. To make a frill, it is necessary to leave for it a fabric exactly twice as long in length than on the blanket itself, so you will get beautiful, wavy folds on it.
When the frill is cut, you can lightly assemble it with regular threads and then start sewing to the bedspread: if the frill consists of several strips of fabric, then the connecting seams should be hidden inside the fold, so it will not be seen that it is sewn from different pieces.
The width of the frill can vary depending on your taste preferences, the main thing is that it does not fall completely on the floor, since such a bedspread visually reduces the height of the bed. It is better that she, at least a couple of centimeters, was above the floor level.
We sew a volumetric quilted blanket with our own hands in a master class
Before starting work, all fabrics for the future bedspread must be washed in a washing machine in the mode in which it will be washed afterwards, or it can be well steamed with an iron. This is done in order to prevent shrinkage and misalignment of the finished product.
Because of the large size of the blanket, it is best to work on a clean floor, carefully spreading the fabric around the perimeter.
1) For the upper part of the cover or, as it is otherwise called, the top is used double-sided cotton fabric with a beautiful pattern of rope loops. It is better to take fabric for a top of sufficient width in order to exclude seams and irregularities. A square is cut out of the fabric for a 230x230 cm top, the edges of which are overlaid.
2) For the backing - lining of the bedspread, linen or cotton fabric 150 cm wide is taken, from which a slightly larger square is assembled, stamp 240x240 cm. Overpress the seams in opposite directions, overlay the edges of the backing.
3) To mark the square stitches of the bedspread, a 23x23 cm pattern and a long wooden ruler are taken. Marker or chalk razlinivayutsya stitch on the wrong side of the fabric, starting from its edge. For more convenient work, the fabric is fixed with scotch tape so as not to shift and cringe during the lining.
4) After the entire surface of the fabric is covered with the same lined squares of 23x23 cm, the top is removed to the side.
5) Linen fabric is taken for backing, it is evenly spread on the floor with the wrong side of the top and fixed with scotch tape.
6) On the fabric for backing stacks synthetic winterizer canvases, which are interconnected by rare, loose stitches.
7) A cotton top is laid on the laid synthetic winterizer with a rug. Be sure to ensure that the fabric lies flat, without folds and creases.
8) With the help of light threads and needles, all parts of the coverlet are temporarily joined, it is better to start stitches from the center, first in one direction and then in the other. The photo shows red lines and the future stitch in red lines, green is a blueprint. Basting is done without nodules so that when it is removed it does not disrupt the structure of the fabric of the bedspread and the stitch.
The process of scribing stitches is long and laborious, but is required to create a smooth, without creases and wrinkles machine stitches. Instead of basting with the help of thread and needles, you can use special curved quilting pins, such pins do not move and do not move in the process, which will not affect the quality of the stitches.
9) Machine stitch starts from the center to the edges of the bedspread. For this, the edges of the cover are folded to the center, the cover folded in this way is laid along the entire length of the extra space next to the machine. First, horizontal lines are laid, then vertical, filling in turn the entire space of the product.
The stitch is laid in a straight line, the left hand slightly pulls the fabric behind the sewing foot, and the right one in front of the foot.
10) The sides of the bedspread are aligned with a ruler and a marker on the fabric, and the corners with the help of a square. Then the line is stitched close to these lines to the maximum. Excess fabric is cut off with scissors.
11) The edges are edged with a 3-centimeter edging made of cheerful striped fabric in a nautical style. The edges of the allowances of strips of edging fabric 10 cm wide are ironed using a cardboard template prepared in advance.
The piping is sewn around the entire perimeter of the bedspread, the bedcover is completely ironed.
That's all, the quilted bedspread in the sea theme is ready, you can make them a bed or wrap up with pleasure in a cool evening.
Video on the topic of the article
We offer you a few video clips on how to make a quilted bedspread on the bed with your own hands. Enjoy watching!