Have you tried Guryev porridge?
Guryev porridge: cooking the imperial dish
Kashi occupy a very special place in our kitchen, and not just like that, because they saturate the body with energy, give health and longevity. One of the most interesting cereals of traditional Russian cuisine is Guryev porridge - a very interesting, tasty and healthy dish.
You can make Guryev porridge for breakfast or lunch, but some of its admirers like to eat it at any time of the day. Such an admirer was Emperor Alexander III, who considered it his favorite dish. An interesting and sad historical fact - it was the emperor who was going to eat before the train he was traveling with his family crashed after which Alexander III became seriously ill and eventually died due to a kidney disease.
In the beginning of the 19th century serf cook Zakhar Kuzmin came up with this wonderful dish, who was loved by porridge minister D.A. Guryev made his home cook. The porridge recipe gradually began to be mastered by all the cooks of the Moscow nobility, it began to appear in cookbooks even outside Russia and became very famous. And today it remains one of the most popular cereals.
Guryev porridge is both a main course and a dessert, which is why children love it so much. Its traditional ingredients are semolina, nuts, creamy or milk skins, and dried fruit. As for cooking, it is not very simple, but it is definitely worth it, and it is easy to be convinced of this by preparing it at least once.
Briefly describe the technology of cooking guryev porridge can be as follows:
- Cooking semolina,
- Making milk froths,
- Chopping nuts and roasting them, without which porridge will get an ugly gray tint and lose its taste,
- Dried fruit preparation,
- Laying out ingredients in layers,
- The languishing porridge in the oven.
The preparation of milk froths deserves special attention. To cook them, you need to pour milk or cream into a wide saucepan and put it in an oven heated to medium temperature. When the foam appears, you need to remove it and put it on the dish, then you need to wait until a new foam appears and up to 5 or more times, depending on how much foam is required for your amount of semolina.
Dried apricots, raisins, figs and candied fruits are suitable for dried fruit for Guryev porridge. Nuts are better to take two kinds, for example, peanuts and hazelnuts. Very often, when spreading porridge in layers, honey or jam is used, and the sequence should be the following: porridge, dried fruit, honey / jam, nuts, frothy, porridge again, and so on. How many layers will be in Guryev porridge, each hostess can decide at its discretion.
Let's look at the classic way of cooking guryev porridge.
Recipe for classic Guryev porridge
It will take: 600 g of cream 35%, 200 g of peeled walnuts, 200 g of raisins, 200 g of semolina, 100 g of sugar.
How to cook Guryev porridge. Chop ¾ nuts, fry the rest. Add 1 tablespoon to the fried nuts. sugar and add as much water, over medium heat, caramelize the nuts, remove from the stove. Pour boiling water over the raisins and leave for 10 minutes. Pour the cream into a wide saucepan, put in an oven heated to 160 degrees, wait until the froth appears, remove it with a skimmer, put it on a flat dish, cook 4 more froths in the same way and cool them by cutting them into one wide strip. Pour the semolina into the remaining hot cream with constant stirring, add the remaining sugar, add salt and cook until the semolina is ready. Add to the porridge chopped foam, dried raisins, chopped nuts, mix. Lubricate the form for porridge with butter, lay out a layer of porridge, tamp, lay a layer of nuts, lay foam, then again a layer of porridge, nuts and foam, and so on. Sprinkle the last layer of porridge with sugar, bake in a preheated oven to 170 degrees until the caramelization of sugar. After baking, turn the porridge over on a platter, decorate with carmelized nuts and berries.
This recipe can be slightly modified or supplemented. So, if you want to vary the porridge with jam or honey, or both, lay them in thin layers, alternating, on the layers of porridge.
Since the preparation of this porridge is not an easy task, you can find quite a few recipes for its very simplified preparation.
The recipe is simple and quick Guryev porridge
It will take: 2 cups of milk, 1 cup of semolina, ½ cup of sweet almonds, 2 tbsp. butter, 4 tbsp. sugar ½ tsp vanilla, 2 tbsp. walnut.
How to quickly cook Guryev porridge. Pour the milk into a saucepan, add sugar and vanillin, bring to a boil, with stirring, pour semolina, boil for 10 minutes, allow the porridge to cool slightly, add the crushed and roasted almonds, mix. Smear a frying pan or a form for porridge with butter, sprinkle with porridge, sprinkle it with grated walnuts and sugar, bake in an oven heated to medium temperature until browning.
Finished porridge can be decorated with berries, cream, fruits, nuts, so it is often confused with cakes and pastries. However, the unusualness of Guryev porridge is that, in fact, it is neither porridge, nor dessert, nor a cake, nor a cake. The closest and most similar type of dish to it is puddings, so this gruel can be safely called groaty casserole. Try cooking it with different nuts, several types of jam, honey, add as many foam as you like - how much patience is enough, make any number of layers and surprise the children and yourself with this wonderful tasty dish, and in order to make it always successful, remember the following:
- Nuts should always be roasted before adding to porridge.
- You can use several types of jam and honey at once, but in order to preserve the creamy taste, honey and jam are best served to the already prepared porridge separately,
- Serve porridge can be in the same pot in which you baked it, in this case it is better to use portioned pots,
- Diversify the taste of porridge can be spices - cardamom, orange peel, cinnamon, as well as rum,
- You can decorate porridge with caramelized nuts or simply sprinkle it with sugar on top - it will melt and you will get beautiful caramel,
- If possible, peremeshivat porridge, nuts and skins can be fresh berries,
- When mixing porridge with nuts and dried fruit, it can be “ennobled” by adding butter, which, as is well known, “cannot spoil the porridge ...”.
It is believed that the classic Guryev porridge recipe originated in the early nineteenth century, after one serf cook named Kuzmin Zakhar had prepared it for Minister Guryev. He was so delighted with her that soon the mayor bought the peasant and made him his full-time cook.
Over time, the cooking secrets began to master almost all the cooks of the Russian nobility. All Moscow know wanted to try a wonderful dish. Soon they already knew about it outside of Russia, and the recipe of the dish was in all the cookbooks of the Russian Empire.
For almost two centuries of its existence, the food has not lost its position among admirers, and today remains quite popular. The number of fans is also growing among children, since porridge can rightly be considered as a full-fledged second course and an independent dessert.
Traditional classical components of Guryev porridge are semolina, dried fruits, nuts, milk or cream froths. The cooking process itself is rather complicated, but it is worth it, because once you taste this dish, you will forever become its true admirer.
Observing exactly the technology, you can make the process of staying in the kitchen comfortable and easy. Follow the recommendations below and you will have excellent Guryev porridge.
- Cooking semolina. At this point, do not forget to constantly stir the cereal, so you will avoid the appearance of lumps.
- Cooking foam. This stage is very important and responsible. To make good skins, you should pour milk or cream into any container. Then put the liquid in a preheated oven. Do not cover the pot with a lid and wait for the foam to appear. As soon as you see the foam, you should immediately remove it and put it on a separate dish. Do this five to seven times, depending on how much foam is required for your semolina.
- Pre-peeled nuts, calcined in the oven or in a pan, then clean the skin and finely chop. If you do not fry the grains and do not remove the peel, this will give the dish a grayish tint and a bitter taste. From the nuts prefer almonds, hazelnuts or walnuts.
- Preparation of dried fruit. Ideal raisins, dried apricots, figs. You can also use different candied fruits, they will not be superfluous and will not spoil the taste of the finished dish.
- Use honey, jam, jam or syrup as a sweet base.
- Put all ingredients in layers. Be sure to follow the sequence: first goes semolina, then dried fruit, sweet base, nuts, foam, and again in the same order. Layers can be any number, depending on the preferences of the hostess and her household. The main thing is to observe the correctness when laying out.
- The final stage in cooking - languishing in the oven.
- cream 35% - 0.5 liters,
- walnuts - 200 grams,
- raisins - 200 grams,
- semolina - 250 grams,
- sugar - 1.5 cups.
- Fry and chop the nuts. Peel them and place them in a separate container. Add one glass of sugar and water there, put it on medium heat. After the nuts are cured, remove them from the stove.
- Pour boiling water over the raisins for about ten minutes and leave to soak. After time, drain the water.
- Meanwhile, collect from the cream, which stand in the oven, foam at least five times. When they harden, cut half of them into pieces.
- In the heated remaining cream, pour the semolina and, stirring constantly, pour sugar in small portions.
- In the finished porridge, add chopped skins, half the raisins and mix thoroughly.
- In a greased baking pan, lay a layer of porridge, the remaining nuts, raisins, and foam, and place the container in a preheated oven to 170 degrees for ten to fifteen minutes.
- You can decorate the finished Guryev porridge with nuts or berries.
Simple and fast
If you don’t have time, or don’t want to mess around with a classic recipe, you can try the simplified cooking method.
- Milk - 2 glasses,
- semolina - 1 cup,
- nuts - 0.5 cups of walnut and 0.5 almond,
- sugar - 4 tbsp. spoons
- butter - 2 tbsp.
- Pour the milk into the saucepan, pour in the sugar and bring the contents to a boil.
- Stir constantly, add the semolina to the milk mixture. Boil it for ten minutes.
- Peel and calcine the nuts in the oven.
- After the semolina is cooked, let it cool and add chopped almond nuts there. Mix all ingredients thoroughly.
- Grease a pan or a baking dish with butter, put porridge in it, sprinkle with walnuts, sugar and put in the oven for ten minutes.
- The finished porridge can be decorated with berries, whipped cream, fruit or caramelized nuts.
True gourmets and simply lovers of delicious food can rate Guryev porridge. After all, this dish simultaneously contains the properties of ordinary porridge and dessert. In it you will find the first, and second, and cake with cake.
Who invented the Guryev porridge?
Dmitry Alexandrovich was known in secular circles as a rare gourmet. “It was not for nothing that Guryev traveled abroad: there he improved himself on the gastronomic part. He in this way was really an ingenious genius, and, it seems, there are pies, there are burgers that bear his name, ”wrote Philip Weegel in his "Notes".
It is interesting, but contrary to popular belief, the minister himself did not invent the famous Guryev porridge. He was only her first enthusiastic admirer. From his presentation, porridge was recognized and loved by the most senior families, that is, to put it in modern language, Guryev became the "promoter" of the exquisite dessert.
And Dmitry Aleksandrovich discovered it for himself, being a guest of his longtime friend, a retired major of the Orenburg Dragoon regiment, Georgy Yurisovsky. They say during the dinner there was a dispute between friends. Allegedly, Minister Guryev boastfully stated that he had “eaten a dog” in matters of making porridge, and would not be surprised by any of his recipes. To which the major remarked, they say, I bet that the porridge my fortress Zakhar is cooking you have never tried. Made a bet.
“A few minutes later, the major solemnly presented the dish with a graph resembling something between a cake and a cake,” he said. Andrey Savostyanov in the book "Little Stories of Great Cooking." - Baked until golden brown loaf was decorated with pieces of walnut, candied fruit, drunk cherry. The count, with obvious bewilderment, skeptically grimacing, “otkolupnul” a spoonful of “porridge-stranger”. He thoughtfully held his mouth like a professional taster. Then he repeated. After the second test, his face became concentrated, like a poker player: “Your duty, Major, I have misunderstood. I give the same amount for the recipe! ”
The impression of Guryev was so great that soon, having spent a fantastic amount, he bought Zakhar Kuzmin from a major friend with his family and made him his personal chef. And invented serf porridge soon became one of the most famous dishes of St. Petersburg.
“The Petersburg nobility, led by the grand dukes, specially came from St. Petersburg to eat a Testos pig, a crab soup with pie and the famous Guryev porridge, which, by the way, had nothing to do with the Guryin tavern, but was invented by some mythical Guryev,” wrote Vladimir Gilyarovsky about Moscow taverns.
BUT Alexander III generally called her his favorite dessert. According to legend, the Guryev porridge even saved the Tsar’s life — allegedly it was she who was served to the emperor during a trip in a train in 1888. At that moment, when the king was having dinner, the train was derailed. Subsequently, the sovereign said that the cars, where the bedrooms and the king's office were, were simply crushed, only the dining-car, where he was, was not injured.
How to cook the famous porridge? Here is an old recipe from a cookbook.
- Semolina - half a cup
- Milk fat content of 5-6% - 1.2 liters
- Honey - 1 cup
- Nuts: hazelnuts, walnuts, almonds, cedar - 1 cup
- Pear and apple - 60 gr.
- Raspberries, blackberries - only 70 grams.
- Lingonberry - 30 gr.
- Sugar - 1 hour. Spoon
- Vanillin - 1 tsp.
Pour the milk into a saucepan with a thick bottom, put vanillin in it and drown it on low heat for an hour. Foams that will be formed when melting milk, you need to collect a spoon and put on a separate saucer.
Cooking semolina in baked milk. In a boiling milk in a thin stream, constantly stirring, we fall asleep semolina.
Boil the nuts in half the honey, cut the fruits into cubes and let them in the second half of the honey. We take a frying pan with high sides and begin to form a dish (you can take clay or cast-iron forms).
The first layer lay foam. This is done with a spoon. Next is the semolina layer and again the foam layer. Then - half of nuts and fruit, a layer of semolina, a layer of foam, the remaining nuts and fruits.
Sprinkle the dish with sugar and put in the oven. We bake at a temperature of 180 degrees until a ruddy crust is formed.
Information about this community
- Placement price 100 tokens
- Social capital 3 766
- Number of readers
- Duration 12 hours
- Minimum bid 100 tokens
- View all Promo offers
- Add a comment
- 15 comments
Android Choose language Current version v.291.2
Porridge. Guryev. Have you tried? Delicious!
Message Marina »06 Jun 2017 20:46
for 4 servings
active time 15 minutes, passive time 25 minutes
half a cup of semolina
two glasses of baked milk (I do it myself in a slow cooker from village milk, but you can also shop)
large handful of almond petals
two tablespoons of butter
a third cup of sugar and 4 more spoons for caramel crust
three eggs, yolks separated from proteins
For the sauce:
two glasses of ripe strawberries
teaspoon balsamic vinegar
tablespoon of sugar
1. Cut the vanilla pod lengthwise to release the pips. Pour the milk into the skillet, put the vanilla pod, put it on the stove and bring to the boil. Stir vigorously, pour in the semolina and continue to interfere, otherwise lumps will appear in the porridge. You should have a good sour consistency porridge. If it seems to you that porridge is thick, add some hot water. Add butter, a third of a cup of sugar, mix everything thoroughly, cover with a lid and leave for ten minutes.
2. At this time, whip the whites to form a dense foam. Add the yolks and almond petals to the porridge, mix, and then gently inject the proteins.
3. Spread the mass in four portion molds. You can take one baking dish, only then do not forget to grease it with butter. Sprinkle with sugar and caramelize on top. Это можно сделать несколькими способами: прижечь специальной газовой горелкой для крем-брюле или поставить на самый верх духовки, включив верхний нагрев и выставив максимальную температуру. Я обычно карамелизирую в духовке за 3-4 минуты.Then I reduce the temperature to 180 degrees, rearrange the porridge in the middle and bake for about 20 minutes. If you do not have a burner or function in the oven, do not worry. Guryev porridge and without a caramel crust will make your breakfast special.
4. Cut ripe strawberries into quarters, put in a bowl, add sugar, vinegar and leave for half an hour. When the porridge is ready, put the strawberries on top. Or any other seasonal berries and fruits or jam.
Ready baked Guryev porridge can be decorated with whipped cream and serve with strawberry sauce and fresh strawberries.
PySy: I didn’t make the sauce today, it cost strawberry jam.
Photo E. Chekalova, her not photographed, fotik in the village.