It’s pretty obvious that fitness is becoming increasingly popular every day. But particular attention is paid to the gluteal muscle group. It is safe to say that they are the most important in the body. But in the modern world we spend most of the day sitting, almost without using these muscles. This led to the fact that most people are lethargic and weak.
Many of the exercises that we do in the gym do not equally affect the gluteal muscles. But the bridge is the perfect exercise for them to do every day. If you do it correctly, you can get many great benefits. We will talk about them further.
The back will stop hurting
The bridge is the perfect recipe for back pain. Since most modern people lead a sedentary lifestyle, the gluteus muscles do not work enough. This leads to the fact that other muscles of the spine and hamstrings take over the work. This process, when the buttocks become inactive, is called amnesia of the gluteal muscles. Its result is too much strain on the lower back instead of the hips. This is the main reason for the occurrence of back pain.
If you make the bridge every day, especially after you had to sit for a long time, this will help the muscles of the buttocks to “wake up” and redistribute the load. This exercise helps the body to remember that it is necessary to use the hips during movement, and not to give the entire load to the more fragile lumbar region.
Knee pain disappears
One of the main causes of pain in the knees is the lack of control over the upper leg - thigh. It leads to the hip bone sliding forward, internal rotations or valgus movement. All of these movements are chronically associated with pain in the knees. The gluteal muscles play an important role in controlling the femur in the hip joint, which affects how the other bones of the knee joint join together and move.
The bridge, especially on one leg, allows the femur to remain in line with the knee and toes, avoiding potentially dangerous movements of the knee joint.
Running speed improves
One of the primary functions of the movement of the gluteus muscles is the strengthening of the thigh. Runners at long distances develop only the hamstring and do not pay attention to the gluteal muscles. This can not only limit the length of their step, but also affect the force of impact of the foot on the ground, and the stability of the pelvis. Improving the function of the gluteal muscles, making the bridge, you thereby improve all aspects of your run, and your speed increases.
You seem taller
Posture is very important. You can go to the gym and work hard for an hour a day, but if you slouch the rest of the time, you lose all the effect of the workout after 60 minutes. The gluteal muscles are also very important for posture. If they are not active and strong, you cannot sit properly. This means that all the muscles above and below the pelvis cannot work with maximum efficiency, and your body has to compensate for this. Such compensation, as a rule, leads to poor posture, you lean forward or bend your back.
If you start to do bridges every day, then not only strengthen your glutes to sit properly, but also feel that you have a good posture.
Your partner will thank you.
Both boys and girls will agree that taut buttocks go to everyone. This appearance is considered sexually attractive almost everywhere. And our far ancestors need to blame for this, since for them it was an indicator of fertility.
But the same can be said for men. Most women are attracted to just a fit man.
If you start to do bridges every day, then do not be surprised if your soulmate gives you a compliment on this matter.
You'll finally love how jeans fit you
Women, as a rule, are always unhappy with the way they wear jeans. There is no great need everywhere to look for the perfect pair of jeans in which you “fit in” or in which you will simply look “normal”. Slender legs instantly improve any pair of jeans. Nevertheless, keep in mind that once you pump up your gluteal muscles, it will be difficult enough for you to find jeans that are wide in hips and narrow at the waist, because your figure will no longer fit into the “normal” cut of jeans. But can this be called a problem?
You can do better squat exercises.
Squats are often considered as leg exercises. But ask any experienced athlete, and he will confirm to you that in fact these exercises pump up the muscles of the hips and buttocks. In order to perform squats safely and effectively, it is very important that these muscles are active and strong. Undeveloped and weak gluteal muscles create poor tension for the thigh muscles. This is one of the most common problems among beginners. Poorly developed buttock muscles decrease the depth of your squat, so the hips and joints cannot work together effectively.
There are many options for how to perform the bridge exercise. All of them are programmed to activate or strengthen the muscles of the buttocks, depending on what you choose. If you do these exercises every day, this will allow your gluteal muscles to catch up with your hamstrings and thighs, improving the effectiveness of your squats.
1. Bridge on two legs is the easiest option for this exercise. To perform it, you need to bend your knees and lift the pelvis from the floor. In this case, the shoulders should remain below. At the very top, you should focus on the gluteal muscles, and then gently fall to the floor. The secret to effective bridges is to emphasize the use of the gluteus muscles, without using the hamstrings. If done correctly, you should keep a straight line from the shoulders across the hips to the knees.
You can start using only the weight of your body, but this exercise will be more effective if you lower the barbell on the hips.
2. The bridge on one leg. When the first exercise option becomes too easy for you, you can switch to this option. Too easy - it means that you are not having any difficulties with the implementation, and the muscles do not tense. It should be done in the same way as the first option, only with one foot should be raised. This position complicates the up and down movement. Make sure that the toes, ankle, knees and hips are always in a straight line.
3. The bridge with raised shoulders. This exercise has a much larger range of motion. To perform it, it is necessary that the shoulders are on a stable surface (bench, box, chair). The legs should be positioned so that the shins are vertical when you are moving. Make sure that the weight falls on the heels and not on the toes. This will lead to a better activation of the gluteal muscles. As in the first exercise, it can be complicated by lowering the bar across the hips.
Keep your chin pressed to your chest. Although this is not a neutral position for the cervical spine, this position helps most people to hold the ribcage correctly when it is necessary to perform the upper part of the movement.
The essence and methods
Exercise is focused, because it works well a certain group of muscles. The result of introducing it into the training process will be strong gluteal muscles and thigh biceps. Usually the exercise is performed by girls for stretching and toning, but it is also relevant for men.
It is recommended to make the bridge to everyone who is involved in “sedentary” work to tone up the lower dorsal part and normalize blood circulation in the pelvic and thigh areas. The classic version is not complicated and does not imply additional loads, so it is well suited for anyone who starts to bring themselves into shape.
There are ways to complicate the pelvic rises with the help of aids, to increase the effectiveness of classes, in the form of:
- exercises with pancake as a load,
- lifting from the bench
- using one foot for support,
- options with a barbell.
Successful training involves performing all the exercises in three approaches.
The main reasons for the introduction of the bridge in the daily process of training include the following:
- Exercise helps to reduce pain in the back and knees, which affects a large part of the population due to a decrease in motor activity. Neglect of the health and condition of the gluteal muscles and hamstrings, leads to the dominance of any muscle over the other, which is fraught with not only pain, but also injury. But the quadriceps muscle of the thigh is given control and more work during training and daily activities. The buttock bridge allows you to achieve a balance of loads on all types of muscles, so it is very useful to all who are concerned about the back and legs.
- The bridge leads to better results in sports, because it improves physical abilities when performing many movements. Strong buttocks are important for fast running, jumping, active movement on the field or playground and other sports activities.
- With strong, elastic and rounded buttocks, there is no problem with the choice of wardrobe, as any thing they look stylish and elegant. Moreover, the exercise with the load allows you to achieve the best result, which is worth considering for all those who want to don in tight fitting silhouettes.
- As an added bonus to the perfect buttocks will be strong abdominal muscles. During the exercise, they are also involved, so "at the same time" you can strengthen the press, remove excess fat in the problem area and even edit the shape of the waist.
- Exercise improves posture due to the tension of the gluteus muscles and straightening of the dorsal, helping to maintain an upright position while standing or sitting for a long time. Together with strong abdominal muscles, they have an effective effect on the formation of correct posture.
Step by Step Instructions
Technique of the buttock bridge is simple and fully consistent with the essence of the name. So, how to do the exercise correctly in order to use power rationally and succeed?
- The first step is to take the starting position. To do this, lay a mat on the floor, lie on your back and bend your knees shoulder-width apart, resting your feet well on the floor. The position of the hands - on the abdomen or along the body.
- The second step is the pelvic lift itself. It is necessary to inhale and lift the hips, squeezing the buttocks. This creates a straight line of the body from the shoulder area to the knees. When you reach the top point should stay at the expense of one or two. Then squeeze the buttocks even more, exhale and return to the starting position.
- Repeat the task in the right quantity.
Consider ways to increase the load when performing exercises that are used after the classic version and help to achieve the best results in strengthening the muscles.
- A variation on one leg is performed on twenty lifts on each leg. It is necessary to take the starting position, then lean the knee of one leg against the chest and fix. The second leg is the reference. It is necessary to reach the highest point of lifting the hips and hold for a couple of seconds in this position, slowly returning to the PI.
- Exercise with weight is performed as a classic, with additional weight located on the hips and holding hands. It is recommended to raise the hips as high as possible and do the lifting at least ten times.
- The bridge using the bench is similar in technique to the first embodiment, because the support is made on one leg with the second fixed on the chest. The support leg is placed on the bench, not on the floor. The movement must be repeated ten times with each leg.
- This option is called “narrow bridge”, because the legs are not located shoulder-width apart, but together. During the whole process, it is necessary to keep them closed, straining not only the buttocks, but also the intradermal zone. Assumed twenty one-time assignment.
- The option of gradually raising and lowering the hips is good because it helps to increase the load without additional devices. The “gradual buttock bridge” is performed thirty times, slowly descending and rising, fixing at the highest point.
- An interesting way is the bridge on the fitball, which allows to include stabilizing muscles in the work and pump the buttocks. The ball is put against the wall, spreading opposite the mat for taking the starting position. The buttocks fit snugly to the fitball, the legs lie on it. Then, it is necessary to move thirty centimeters away from the simulator to allow the pelvis to reach the maximum lifting point. And this is very important, as the correctly selected distance helps to work out precisely the gluteal muscles. In the initial position, the abdomen is retracted, the loin is tense, the arms are placed along the body for support. On the exhale, the pelvis rises to form a straight line, is fixed to two or three, and is lowered into the PI. Common mistakes made on the ball are:
- an incorrect angle in the knees, which makes other muscles work, easing the load on the buttocks,
- uncontrolled return to PI, reducing efficiency.
In the process we propose to take into account the recommendations of trainers, which will help facilitate and improve training:
- The utility coefficient depends on the number of exercises performed, with a rest break of no more than thirty seconds. More bridges - better result.
- Inhalation is performed by the nose before raising the hips, powerful exhalation when reaching the point of lifting.
- The bridge runs smoothly. If the possible height is not reached, then it is not worth jerking to continue lifting, but you need to lock in the position obtained.
- During the practice, the foot stands on the floor, without detaching the toe and heel from its surface. The load is distributed evenly over the entire foot.
- The width of the legs is individual, depends on the hip structure, so you should choose the position that is most comfortable and allows you to most effectively contract the muscles.
The buttock bridge changes not only the shape and size, but also the strength of the priests' muscles. With regular workouts with its use, you can achieve outstanding results in sports and "outstanding" body parts that are attractive and attractive, as well as improve health and get rid of back pain.
What muscles work?
The buttock bridge is aimed at the work of the three paired gluteal muscles, which support the flexibility of the hip joints and provide the aesthetic appearance of this part of the body.
- The gluteus maximus muscle is involved in the extension of the thigh, its stretching and abduction.
- The gluteus maximus muscle, in addition to these three actions, is also responsible for the direct abduction and reversal of the hip.
- The gluteus maximus works when the hip is removed.
Since the gluteus muscles are 68% composed of slow-twitch fibers, they respond well to exercises with a high number of repetitions.
The buttock bridge is an effective target exercise, the regular implementation of which provides the following benefits:
- increases mobility of hip joints,
- strengthens the lower back,
- improves posture
- Forms a beautiful taut ass.
The buttock bridge can be done before a workout or as an active rest between sets of the main workout, in order to activate the work of the gluteal muscles before basic exercises.
There are myths that when performing the gluteal bridge, especially with the burden, there is a strong overstrain of the muscles in the lower back, and this can lead to injury.
In fact, the correct technique of this exercise can prevent such injuries, since the spine is kept in a neutral position and the gluteal muscles are strengthened.
The starting position for the gluteal bridge on the rug: lie on your back, arms on the sides, knees bent, feet on the floor along the width of the shoulders.
Retract the abdominal muscles so that the lower back is pressed to the floor. Try to keep this muscle contraction throughout the exercise.
- As you exhale, leaning on your heels, lift your hips, keeping your back straight. Do not push your hips too high - there should not be an arch in the lower back.
- Hold the top position for a second and while inhaling slowly return to the starting position.
If the exercise is done correctly, you will feel tension in your gluteal muscles and hamstrings. Do this exercise 2 sets of 10 times 2-3 times a week as part of a workout for the whole body or as an independent exercise.
Start from a simple version and gradually move to advanced versions.
On one leg
Более сложный вариант ягодичного мостика выполняется на одной ноге, вторая на протяжении всего упражнения находится поднятой от пола.
- Выпрямленная в колене и направленная в потолок нога потребует большей координации, чем согнутая под 90 градусов.
- Чтобы усилить нагрузку на ягодичные мышцы, поставьте ступни на невысокую скамейку. Этот вариант тоже можно делать на одной ноге.
Instead of a bench under the feet, you can use an unstable surface such as a sports ball or fitball, while the body stabilizing muscles will be connected to the work.
Initial position gluteal bridge with rod: sitting on the floor, the bar is located on top of the legs.
Use the neck with a soft backing or place a rolled towel under it to reduce discomfort when doing this exercise. Position the neck so that it lies directly on the hips.
- Lie back on the floor, bend your legs and place your feet close to the buttocks. Start the movement from the heels, lifting the hips with a barbell.
- At the top of the lift, the heels and upper back fall. Keep your abdominal muscles taut, you should feel the contraction of the muscles of the buttocks, not the lower back.
- Hold as long as you can and return to the starting position.
To perform the gluteal bridge on the bench, sit on the floor, the bench should be located immediately behind you. Exercise can be performed with a barbell and without it.
When using the bar, place it on the hips, lean on the bench so that the shoulder blades are on top of the bench seat.
- Start moving your hips up, pushing off the floor with your feet.
- At the top point, the weight is distributed to the legs and shoulder blades.
- Hold as long as you can, and then return to the starting position.
To further complicate the exercise, use two benches of the same height. On one bench, place the shoulders, another place under the feet. As a result, the range of movement of the hips to perform the bridge increases.
Buttock bridge with pancake can be performed from the floor or from the bench. When using the bench, place your shoulders on it so that your feet are on the floor.
This exercise is more difficult because it makes the hips move with greater amplitude.
- Lower the hips, almost touching the floor with the buttocks. To weight the stomach put a pancake from the bar.
- Now push your hips upwards, as when doing a normal bridge.
How to replace the buttock bridge?
Many exercises have counterparts, the performance of which activates the same muscle group. Buttock muscles are involved in such exercises as:
- Roman thrust - this basic exercise provides the work of many muscles, including the gluteus, from the vertical position of the body. When performing activating the extension of the thigh under the action of axial load,
- reverse hyperextension - in this case, a horizontal load is applied to the stretching of the thigh,
- deep squats and lunges - to connect the work of the gluteus muscles, these exercises must be performed below the horizontal line of the thigh. Otherwise, only the leg muscles will work.
As a percentage, hip extension is maximally present with:
Effective hip stretching occurs when performing inverse hyperextension (122%) and hip retraction up (112%). A properly designed program to work out the gluteal muscles should include exercises for extension, stretching, abduction and rotation of the thigh.
Buttock bridge - technology performance
Body movements that are quite natural for humans do not involve any special efforts. Both the standard exercise and its variations include three positions in its execution:
- Starting position - lying on his back, emphasis on bent legs, hands are along the body, the loin is tightly pressed to the floor,
- Action position - on a deep expiration, the pelvic region and the back rush upward until the body assumes the position of a flat stretched string. At the same time, the waist should be slightly tucked in order not to overload it. At the highest point of the maximum compress the buttocks,
- Return item - on the inhale, without ceasing to compress the gluteal muscles, we return to the lower point.
Learn more from the video:
The form of this exercise is basic and is presented in the paragraph above. Excellent support for raised buttocks (PHOTO before and after). Lets work out the correct series of actions for further complication.
You should start with 3-4 approaches 10-15 times.
See the video for more details:
2. With one foot
The buttock bridge on one leg allows you to concentrate on the left and right side of the body separately. Execution options are provided for two.
- Starting position - lie on your back, one leg is bent on the floor, the second ankle is located on the knee of the first,
- When exhaling, we rush upwards, not forgetting the direct state of the body and the twisted lower back, linger for a second,
- Breathing in, we go back.
See the video for more details:
- Starting position - we land on our back, one leg is bent on the floor, the second straight, stretched into a string,
- When exhaling, lifting up, pausing for a second,
- With a breath back to its original state.
The required number of repetitions: 3-4 repetitions 12-15 times on each leg.
More on the video:
3. With a bench
Buttock bridge on the bench will increase the amplitude of the performance, thereby increasing the load on the buns. The use of the bench is possible in two versions.
- Starting position - the shoulder part of the body is located on the bench, legs bent with emphasis on the floor, without bending in the lower back,
- Making an effort, inhale, pushing the buttocks up,
- We return to the starting point. Buttocks do not relax!
Details shown in the video:
- Starting position - the body is pressed to the floor, bent legs are placed on the bench with emphasis on the heel,
- Making the exhale, raise the pelvis as high as possible, linger in this position,
- We return to the starting point.
This option can be done anywhere, even on the playground:
This exercise can be done and static, for this at the top point just linger for 30-60 seconds.
4. With knees down
This complication of actions will allow you to burn your buns even more.
- Starting position - the classic supine, legs bent at the knees and stand at shoulder level, hands lie along the body,
- On the exhale, push the pelvis up and at the highest point, squeeze the buttocks and at the same time reduce the knees. Linger for a couple of seconds.
- Slowly return to its original state.
Try to start with 2-3 approaches 12-15 times, gradually increasing the load.
Be sure to find out about "Walking on the buttocks" from Professor Neumyvakin and its benefits for women's health.
For details on how to perform this movement, see the video:
The use of fitball itself is a kind of complication of the buttock bridge. The fact is that in addition to the main action - raising the pelvis, you need to concentrate on the ball and keep balance - in the work stabilizing muscles will turn on. Fitball must fit you in size (height in centimeters - 110).
The buttock bridge on the fitball can be performed in two variations.
- Starting position - shoulder case in the emphasis on fitball, legs tightly pressed to the floor,
- At the effort we exhale and throw the pelvis up, fix the top point,
- Slowly return to the original state.
The ball acts as a bench for the previous variation, but it is much more difficult to hold onto it, which involves a lot of stabilizing muscles.
- We lie down on the spread gymnastic mat, the legs are put on the fitball. The distance between you and the ball should be approximately thirty centimeters,
- We make a full exhalation and raise the pelvis as much as possible up to the formation of a smooth body line. Keep your balance
- Slowly, rolling the ball back, we return to the original state.
As noted above, this variation can also be complicated by various types of performance. You can kneel in highest point or on reaching a straight line of the body, lift one leg upward for more study of one of the buttocks. And you can bend one leg in the knee and perform actions first on one and then on the other leg.
It is necessary to carry out 2-3 approaches on 15 times.
If all previous options seemed too simple to you, it is worthwhile to carry out a bridge for the buttocks with a weight. It can be pancakes, dumbbells and any other cargo.
- Starting position as the floor and on the hill knees bent. We put weights in the pelvic area and be sure to hold,
- Make the pelvis move up, freeze for a second,
- We return to the initial position.
Starting with weight is better with 2-3 sets of 10-12 times.
You will learn more about the buttock bridge with a barbell in this video:
Benefits and contraindications
This exercise has many useful properties:
- Ease of implementation, even at home - it can be done without additional devices,
- Due to the active participation in the process of performing the exercise of the pelvis, an improvement in the blood microcirculation occurs, which has a beneficial effect on the body as a whole and increases sexual desire in particular
- Additionally, the bark muscles,
- Due to the indirect involvement of many muscles, the whole body comes to tone, and weight loss is also observed,
- There is no excessive load on the back in general, on the waist in particular,
- A variety of activities - you can perform both with weight and without, use fitball, rubber bands, expanders.
A refusal to perform such an effective exercise can only be general condition of the bodyin which you can not play sports at all.
- Bridge not basic exercise Therefore, for the greatest load on the buttocks it is better to perform, for example, after squats or Romanian thrust. Raising the pelvis will serve as such finishing gluteus muscles, which will contribute more effect.
- Good buttock bridge and as a static exercise. Getting out of the initial state and raising the pelvis, fix at the highest point, tighten the buttocks as much as possible, pay attention to the waist (the appearance of excessive deflection) and stay in this position for at least 15 seconds. On expiry return to the initial stage. The load must be increased gradually.
Other necessary exercises for the "fifth point"
If you are set for a serious result, you need to be fully integrated. There are many other movements:
- Especially effective for the muscles of the priests are "Bicycle" and "Scissors",
- Various "Lunges" have proven themselves to be pumped "fifth point",
- You can finish muscles with statics, for example, exercise “Highchair”,
- Do not forget about training the calf muscles and the area around the knees,
- Without Stanovoy traction and Hyperextension dispense, too, will not work
The buttock bridge is an excellent multi-functional exercise that can give you not only a dream figure, but also an excellent state of health. Combine it with other basic ones and your body will thank you.
What muscle groups are active when exercising?
Raising the pelvis on a bench or lying on the floor (the same buttock bridge) is a multifunctional movement in which various muscle groups and joints are involved. It aims to:
- stretching the front of the thigh,
- pumping buttocks
- toning and tightening the thighs.
In addition, such an exercise, as lifting the pelvis from a lying position on the floor, helps to prevent pain in the lumbar region. If a person suffers from back pain, these movements help to ease them, provided that the correct technique of the exercise is observed.
In the course of the gluteal bridge, the muscle atlas will be as follows:
- Active buttocks are being worked out with no pressure on the lower back area (for more information on the anatomy of the buttocks, in the article about exercises for the buttocks at home),
- Buttocks (the same sites as during squats) are effectively lifted
- The press becomes stronger,
- The muscles involved in jumping and running are being worked out,
- Calf muscles, etc. are being worked out.
A detailed diagram of the muscle atlas, consisting of the involved parts of the body, is shown in the photo.
How to perform actions?
Technique of execution, which is very simple, does not provide any special moments. This is due to the fact that the exercise is simply impossible to perform not according to the instructions. The action that forms the basis of the buttock bridge is similar to the natural. Therefore, in the course of fulfilling his problems, even novice flyouts do not arise.
If we consider the main steps that are reproduced in the exercise of the buttock bridge, then they can be described as follows:
- Step - take the starting position on the floor on the back with legs bent at the knees and hands along the body.
- Step - from the starting position, resting your feet firmly on the floor, lift your hips due to the information of the buttocks and the pushing movement of the pelvic joint. Raise the body so that the line of the body from the shoulders to your knees forms a straight section. This point will be maximum (see photo above). It is necessary to delay the position of the body for a few seconds.
- Step - return from the maximum point to the original position. When performing this movement, the buttocks should be compressed even more so that the exercise is more effective.
This is the classic scheme of the exercise buttock bridge, but not the last. The advantage of it is that there are other options for performing the same actions:
- rises from a prone position on the floor or on a bench (leaning with your back or legs),
- a bridge with only one foot
- lifts with their weight or with weighting (with a barbell, or pancakes).
The meaning of the action and its benefits remain the same. Changing only the way that can be seen on the photo.
Despite the simplicity of the gluteal bridge, this exercise has its own characteristics, which allow to increase the efficiency:
- To increase efficiency and make a deeper study, carry out actions from the support. Leaning on a stand or bench, you will be able to lower the pelvis below. Consequently, it takes more effort to lift its buttocks and, as a result, you can achieve results in a shorter time,
- Breathing techniques must be observed (ascents - on inspiration, lowering - on exhalation),
- Using additional weight should be correctly calculated load. The weighting agent must be such that you can freely execute up to 10 repetitions with it for each of the 2-3 approaches.
As for the calculation of weights, experienced coaches have developed more or less approximate indicators. They depend on the level of training of the athlete and on his gender:
- girls are allowed to do 2-3 sets with 10-20 repetitions in each and weighting weight up to 500 g,
- guys can perform the same 2-3 sets of 10-20 repeats with weights up to 10 kg.
Since these actions are not basic, they are best performed in conjunction with the basic exercises of the training program. In this case, you will be provided with a more effective result.
Work with weight (bar)
The buttock bridge, as has already become clear from the above, is a simple and at the same time highly effective exercise. He has both advantages and disadvantages. In general, the latter concern only the embodiments of the movements.
So, for example, by making pelvic lifts from lying on the floor, athletes do not have the opportunity to lower the pelvis deeper. Therefore, the muscles will not stretch to the maximum limit. This may delay the long-awaited effect. At the same time, at the upper maximum point, they can strain more intensively. This is due to the fact that the force of the counterbalance has a counterweight to the body. This is especially noticeable when the exercise is performed with weighting (barbell, pancake).
When working with a barbell, you should also consider a couple of recommendations regarding the correct technique of implementation. First, hold the bar should palm down. This will allow the neck to be pushed away when the buttock rises and keep it in the same position when lowering. Secondly, you can use two options for reproducing physical movements. As in the classical scheme, a bridge can be made with a rod:
- placing the feet on the floor with the legs bent at the knees and the neck of the rod located in the region of the symphysis joint, resting on the bench with the upper back area,
- with feet on the bench, lying with shoulder blades on the floor and weight in the region of the symphysis joint.
Exercises (buttock bridge) are more effective on the bench. They allow you to achieve greater depth and amplitude, which will give a result in a shorter period.
Summing up, we can safely say that the buttock bridge is a very simple exercise, which is more effective from many others and helps to pump and make a more elastic buttock, butt. In addition, to perform it, it is not necessary to have special sports gear or simulators - to reproduce the physical movements described in the article and presented in the photo, it is quite possible at home.Given the versatility, practicality of the exercise and the ability to use it to get rid of extra pounds, makes it almost indispensable.
What is the result of the exercise?
The buttock bridge is the elevation of the buttocks, which is performed from the prone position. Do not pre-tune yourself to the fact that due to the presence of the word "bridge", this exercise requires excessive flexibility and plasticity. This is not true. It is sufficiently simple and easy, can be done at any level of sports training.
Achieving the effect is possible only with regular execution. The result is different for everyone, but for some, the gluteus muscles “grow” by 50% in a few months. The role, of course, will be played by own physiological data, and the goal that is set.
The frequency of inclusion of exercises in classes and in sports, and for aesthetic purposes is from two to four times in one week. The number is directly related to how quickly they want to get the result.
Features of the buttock bridge
The buttock bridge differs from the standard elevation of the pelvis, performed from the prone position, by the arrangement of the shoulders. When the shoulder joint is on a bench, box, or any other small elevation, these are classic pelvic uplifts. If the shoulders are pressed to the floor during the ascent, the buttock bridge is obtained.
Use of buttock bridge
We should not regard this exercise solely in terms of aesthetic correction of the shape and size of the buttocks. It brings much more benefit, which is as follows:
- distribution and obtaining a proper and uniform load on the lumbar region,
- the development of strength indicators and endurance of the gluteus muscles affects walking and running, which begin to be given much easier,
- being a part of the center, since the muscles of the buttocks are located exactly in the middle of the body and are partly responsible for motor functions, they need training and working out in order to strengthen the lower back, stabilize the muscles of the central part and prevent the occurrence of back pain.
Considering all of the above, the buttock bridge should be performed not only to give the “fifth point” a beautiful shape and roundness, but also to improve athletic performance, as well as lumbar health.
What makes the buttock bridge different from other exercises?
The gluteal muscle is the largest group in the human body, it consists of small, medium, large muscles. Their functions, if you refer to the statement of Stuart McGill in an interview with the magazine Strength and Conditioning Journal, are directly related to the pelvis in terms of biomechanical and anatomical effects, which makes this muscle group the main power generator.
From this characteristic of the gluteus muscles, it follows that any extension performed in the hip joint is a movement in which a large force is involved, which is required in many sports disciplines. Without it, it is impossible to make a swing with a baseball bat, a gymnastic and athletic movement, hitting the ball, throwing a basketball basket and jumping. Each such movement requires extension of the hip at the hip joints.
Well-trained buttocks are important for powerlifters, crossfitters, weightlifters and allow you to develop strength, to achieve the desired aesthetic component in different sports, for example, in bodybuilding. And the stronger the gluteal muscles become, the better the results in sports, as well as health.
Why is the buttock bridge an ideal exercise for increasing the volume and increasing the strength of the gluteal muscles?
Buttocks when performing the gluteal bridge are directly involved, and not as a minor auxiliary, which is typical of most other exercises.
And deadlifts, and squats belong to them. Both of these exercises, like many complex exercises, include the gluteal muscles as assistants, and not as basic workers. The muscles of the back of the thigh and the quadriceps receive the greatest load, and the extensors of the hips are not involved to the maximum. Therefore, these exercises are performed in order to strengthen the muscles of the legs, and the buttocks are worked out to a lesser extent.
This does not mean that it is necessary to exclude deadlifts with squats from training. It is only necessary for the balance of development to include the buttock bridge in the familiar complex. It can be performed not only with its own weight, but also with the use of additional load.
The benefits of the gluteal bridge is not only to get beautiful and toned buttocks, but also to “awaken” the power that was not even suspected before. The result is a general improvement in physical performance, higher jumps and faster running.
Different variations of the buttock bridge
There are several embodiments of the gluteal bridge, which allows to diversify the process of training, increase the complexity of implementation, do not get tired of the constant repetition of the same "bridge".
Those who are shy or think that they will look at him obliquely, can do it at home until they have to use additional weights. This is especially true for men.
Buttock bridge with its own weight
To make the buttock bridge, you need to lay your back on the floor, put your hands on the sides, and bend your knees so that both feet, located across the width of the shoulders, are stably on the floor. The back should be in a neutral position.
The raising of the pelvis is carried out with the transfer of the entire emphasis on the heels. Making a lift, you need to rest your heels on the floor surface and squeeze the buttocks. It is possible to stop during the upward movement only after the formation of a bridge, when the body from the knees to the shoulders does not form one line. At this point, you should linger for a couple of seconds, continuing to squeeze the buttocks.
Go down slowly and carefully. If you are going to take another approach, you can not relax your muscles. To achieve a truly significant effect in a shorter period of time, make sure that the amplitude of the movement remains the same, and does not decrease with each new approach. In total it is necessary to try to make at least three “bridges”, fully working out to the full.
Buttock bridge with a rod
You can lift the barbell not only from the chest, but also when raising the pelvis. Of course, such an execution requires appropriate preparation, since the load is taken to the maximum. Women involved in bodybuilding, it is recommended to take 113, and men - up to 182 kilograms. This severity instantly deprives the buttock bridge of the status “for wimps”.
If the level of training does not allow lifting such a weight, and the weights take less than 60 kilograms, then the barbell is used with an Olympic neck. It has a wide girth, but weighs 10 or 15 kilograms. Olympic-type discs require a high lift. Otherwise, the bar will be difficult to comfortably place on the hips.
The shell must be positioned closer to the crotch area. Remove excess tension allows the lining or towel, which is used when squats with a barbell and other similar exercises. Due to this, the skin will not remain traces. And the shoulders and shoulder blades should be pressed against the bench, the emphasis when lifting falls on the heels.
The correctness of the performance is indicated by the location of the knee joints, hips and shoulder girdle on one straight line. As in the usual bridge, at the top point they linger for two seconds, keeping the gluteal muscles squeezed. During the lowering of the bar make sure that it does not touch the floor until it starts to perform the second repetition. In total, it is recommended to do at least 3 approaches with 10-12 pelvic elevations in each.
Buttock bridge with raising one leg
It is carried out both with the shock-absorber or a bar, and without a weighting compound. If a barbell is used, the projectile is lightened.
To take the initial position, lie down on the floor, bend your knees, with your feet resting on the floor. The leg is lifted upwards, the knee is pushed closer to the rib cage.
Make a bridge, starting from the floor, while the sock can come off. The thigh should be stretched and the pelvis raised. Lowering, you need to completely relax, and only then do a replay.
If some moments of the performance technique are not completely clear, it is better to watch the video, and only then proceed to perform. Visual aid will allow you to make a buttock bridge without errors.
There is another variation of this exercise, called the buttock bridge, performed on an elevation. It requires the use of a bench or other stand. Here you can use a shock absorber.
They take the starting position, but only the feet are placed on the bench, and the pelvis is close to the hill. Rising, they move closer to the bench, and their right leg is raised diagonally.
The entire emphasis falls on the left heel. The right leg should be raised so that the diagonal line passes through the thigh, that is, from the ankle to the shoulder. The top point is held for a couple of seconds, going down do not touch the floor, but immediately do a repetition, the number of which should be maximum.
In order to achieve a balanced development, the buttock bridge must become an integral part of the training process. He, like squats, must do in various variations.
Diversity allows for the periodic taking of heavy weight or an increase in the number of repetitions, as well as the use of shock absorbers. The variability of the exercise allows you to not get tired of the same monotonous performance of the gluteal bridge, resulting in a beautiful and strong buttocks.
Immediately after the start of the gluteal bridge, an improvement can be observed not only in terms of resizing and acquiring a more attractive shape for the buttocks, but also in terms of overall well-being. Jogging, walking and walking will be much more productive, and the classes themselves will no longer bring difficulties if they were before.
Do not underestimate this exercise. It is, of course, aimed at improving the appearance of the buttocks, but brings much greater benefits. The power of the blow and the height of the jump depend on the development and strength of this muscle group. And in order to achieve good results in any discipline that requires extension of the hip joint, it is impossible to neglect the buttock bridge.
It should be done not only by women, professionally or amateurly involved in sports, but also by men, using weighting.
About muscular ensemble
Buttock bridge - polyarticular functional movement that helps stretch the hips and activates the buttocks. Pelvic lifts that make slender and toned buttocks have, in addition, a tonic function that helps relieve and even prevent lumbar pains. The main muscle that works when the gluteal bridge is performed is the small, medium and large muscles of the buttocks. The secondary are: the anterior and posterior muscles of the thighs, the bark, calves, extensors of the spine.
A closer look at the atlas of working muscles will help the picture:
On the merits of pelvic lifts
Compared with squats, there is no pressure on the lower back in the pelvic lifts.
In addition, the training allows you to:
tighten the muscles of the buttocks without squats,
- strengthen the press
- perform training with your own and free weight,
- increase and strengthen the strength of the muscles that are involved in jumping and running,
- improve blood circulation in the pelvic organs (improve tone),
- increase libido
- regulate weight by burning large amounts of calories
- train without additional simulators.
Is the technique important
The answer is yes. Even in such a simple exercise, as the buttock bridge, where it seems impossible to “deviate from the course,” one cannot do without it. Step-by-step pelvic lifts are shown below.
Step zero, or preparatory. To lie on the mat, lay on the floor, bend your knees tightly resting his feet on the floor. Hands lie on the abdomen or along the body. That's all you need to know about the starting position.
Step one. To hold the buttocks on the inhale and lift the hips to the point where the body from the knees to the shoulders is in one line. To linger on a couple of accounts in the upper position, squeezing the gluteal muscles even more, exhale and return to the starting position for the next repetitions.
It looks like everything in the picture below:
Learn the subtleties of the exercise
The buttock bridge provides maximum benefit subject to the following recommendations:
- between the back surface and the lower leg, the angle should not be too small or large (feet should be in a comfortable position),
- feet from the floor during lifting do not tear,
- jostle to move up heels
- from the floor of the body to tear as high as possible,
- peak reduction is carried out at the top point, where a couple of accounts linger,
- in the lower point you can not rest,
- The weight of the weight is added gradually, as fitness grows,
- do not pinch the nerves, do not rest your neck against the floor,
- It is recommended to perform 3 sets of 10 repetitions.
- Is the buttock bridge effective for priests?
If you believe the American scientists (and there is no reason not to do this), who have conducted more than one study, then the exercise for working on the buttocks is very effective. The highest indicators of electrical activity recorded during the execution of the buttock bridge from the bench. Further, the “places” divided the option with a burden (bar, pancakes) and with reliance on one of the legs.
That is why, the buttock bridge should be included in the training program, which is aimed at developing the ladies' "center of the universe."