Glass fiber is a decorative type of wall covering, which is a roll material whose structure is somewhat similar to fiberglass cloth, and production is carried out using weaving machines. Raw material for the manufacture of glass is a specific type of glass, which is used to pull the fibers under high temperatures. Subsequently, yarn of various types and thicknesses is formed from these fibers and the material itself is woven, the manufacturing technology of which depends on the type of glass fiber.
In the process of production of glass wallpaper, only natural raw materials are used, thanks to which you can be sure of the high wear resistance of the material, as well as its environmental safety. Such substances include lime, soda, quartz sand and dolomite, which are used to produce glass - the main raw material component of glass fiber. What you need to know about glass as the basis of glass fiber? Known for over five thousand years, it does not lose its popularity and is now one of the most interesting materials in the era of the development of technology and nanotechnology. The reason for its popularity is universality - despite the fact that glass is a solid material, if desired it can be given any shape. Decorative characteristics of glass are also at a high level - it can be transparent or not transmitting light, glossy or matte. Unlike most modern finishing materials made from synthetic components, it can be used both as a material for finishing and as a basis for it. If we talk about the durability of glass, here it also has no equal, the tree is prone to rotting and cracking, the metal - to rust. The fragility of glass is its only drawback, which is currently being successfully solved in the manufacture of a fairly new finishing material - glass fiber. This industry is one of the youngest to use glass and has not more than a hundred years.
Important! Fiberglass wallpaper is the second name for glass screening, which is generally true, but with certain nuances. Fiberglass, in its usual sense, is a technical insulating material, unsuitable for decoration of residential premises. Glass fiber is a material that is different from its counterparts, as it has characteristics inherent only to it.
Despite the seeming newness of glass gutters, the idea of the invention of glass goggles arose about a hundred years ago in Germany, a country that presented the world with many new technologies and inventions. By the end of the 20th century, glass murals began to be produced in several European countries, including Russia.
In the process of making glass wallpaper, impregnation is used, which includes modified starch. In the process of further gluing wallpaper on the wall, it connects with glue, forming a reliable and durable connection of wallpaper sheets.
Glass fiber photo
Varieties of glass fiber: fiberglass and its difference from traditional glass fiber
Despite the fact that the fiberglass cloth is characterized by a diverse structure and texture, regardless of the variety, glass screen canvas has visible similarities with the fabric. There are smooth and relief (textured) glass wall. Consider what are their main similarities and differences.
Smooth glass wall "spider", also called "painting fiberglass", got its name because of the external similarity with the web. This material is characterized by both decorative and functional properties, and can be used as a material for finishing surfaces, or as a material designed to align and strengthen surfaces, masking their irregularities and other defects formed in the process of shrinking buildings. Reinforcing functions of fiberglass only increase the popularity of its use as a material for concealing small surface irregularities and increasing its strength characteristics. In contrast to traditional glass walling, the “web” is characterized by a lower density, as a result of which its main purpose is to level the underlying base and achieve its “marble” effect. If glass fiber is characterized by textured weaving, then fiberglass is more like a smooth canvas. “Cobweb” is an ideal choice if you decide to glue glass on the ceiling, while embossed glass is a material mainly intended for finishing walls and other surfaces,
Traditional or embossed glass wallpaper characterized by greater density and pronounced texture, and, as mentioned above, are used for finishing walls. They are less at risk of being stretched or torn during operation. The texture of embossed glass wallpaper can be different and depends on the method of their production. If cullets were made on traditional weaving machines, a discreet geometric pattern becomes their distinctive feature, as a rule, they are diamonds, a Christmas tree or a chess pattern. Elite varieties of glass wall paper, which can only be bought to order or in specialized online stores, are made on modern jacquard looms, and can have a rather intricate and complex ornament.
Note! Having produced a glass fiber cloth, the manufacturer impregnates it with starch and dries, which is a determining factor for its subsequent technical characteristics. In the process of gluing wallpaper, glue penetrates into the starch impregnation, which contributes to a more reliable fixing of glass wallpaper on the surface. The finished canvas is cut in accordance with generally accepted standards (in most cases, these pieces are characterized by a width of 1 m and a length of 25 and 50 m) and packaged in rolls.
Important! In spite of the fact that the above-mentioned methods of obtaining relief ornament on glass-wallpaper are far from being the only ones, and there are some other less common techniques besides them, they are not a determining parameter in the design of your room, since the latter depends more on your imagination and selection of colors. glass fiber palette.
Technical characteristics of glass fiber: what to look for?
- The life of the cullet, as the manufacturer claims, is more than 30 years,
- Since glass fiber is a material intended for painting, it is necessary to note the number of possible staining, which can be up to 20 times,
- Standard roll sizes are 1x25 m and 1x50 m,
- The average density values range from 110 to 220 g / sq. meter,
- Fire-resistant properties are characteristic of glass-slabs, as well as high vapor permeability,
- Glass fiber is a non-static material,
- Reinforcing properties are inherent to this type of finishing materials,
What are the main advantages of glass fiber?
Most of the advantages coincide with the technical characteristics of the glass, in this connection, we consider them in more detail.
- One of the most important benefits of a cullet is their unique fire safety. They are so non-combustible material that they have found their use in the finishing of fire escape evacuation routes. They do not tend to ignite and do not emit toxic volatile substances when burning.
- Environmental Safety - one more indisputable advantage of fiberglass. In the process of manufacturing the material, only natural components are used, including quartz, clay, sand, dolomite and soda. They are intended for the manufacture of glass fiber foundations - glass fiber, which are subsequently processed by special impregnation based on modified starch, also characterized by natural origin,
- The strength of glass fiber - no less important advantage, thanks to which when pasting walls with wall-paper on the basis of fiberglass, reinforcement effect is achieved. Walls pasted over with glass-fiber wallpaper are resistant to mechanical stress, will not be damaged by the claws of animals, and will not be deformed during shrinkage. Thanks to this dignity, glass wall paper can be used as a material for finishing the walls in new buildings,
- Glass fiber, the characteristics of which are presented in this article, are considered to be material intended for smoothing small irregularities walls and any defects, and their reinforcing characteristics increase the strength characteristics of the walls, which prevents their cracking.
- The operational period of fiberglass more than 30 years, in connection with which they can be considered one of the most durable roll materials for finishing walls,
- Glass fiber is water resistant and resistant to changes in temperature and humidity,
- Vapor permeability glass walling allows you to create optimal microclimatic parameters in the room and maintain them at the proper level,
- Hygienic characteristics Fiberglass is also difficult to disregard. They not only do not accumulate dust, but are also resistant to chemicals, due to which they can be washed using any available household chemicals,
- Do not lose their original aesthetic and performance characteristics under the influence of ultraviolet radiation,
- On glass milling can not develop mold and fungus, as in their composition there are no components that are a nutrient medium for these microorganisms,
- Hypoallergenic - The dignity of glass fiber, which will be assessed by people with allergies. Glass fiber in its composition does not contain components, sources of allergies, and therefore, can be used in homes for allergies.
The disadvantages of glass fiber, which should be noted
- The high cost of glass wallpaper, despite the fact that it is fully justified, often leads potential buyers to abandon the purchase of wallpaper based on fiberglass,
- When choosing paint for glass wallpaper, it is important to know certain nuances. The fact is that only acrylic and latex paints with the necessary consistency are suitable for painting glass fiber wallpaper. Other paints that have a more dense structure will not be suitable for coloring glass screenings, as they will lubricate and clog the pattern,
- Glass glue glue, the price of which is significantly higher than the cost of other glue compositions, must also be tailored to meet specific requirements, since only glue designed for liquid wallpaper will be suitable for these purposes,
- The difficulties arising from the removal of glass gutters from the walls is another material disadvantage associated with the fact that during the production of glass goggles they are impregnated with a special compound based on modified starch, which, when combined with the glue base, forms a sufficiently durable coating,
- It is not permissible to stick glass fiber curved surfaces. This material can be used only in the presence of small errors in the primer or minor defects,
Important! Another disadvantage of glass gutters, which rather refers to the observance of safety precautions when working with the material, is the need to use a respirator and personal protective equipment in the process of cutting glass grit. This is due to the fact that when cutting glass fiber glass microparticles are formed, which, if inhaled or in contact with the skin, can cause serious irritation.
Glass fiber in the interior: recommendations of experts
- Glass fiber, thanks to its unique performance and aesthetic characteristics, can be used as the main element of the interior decor. Wallpapers decorated with woven patterns can be a decoration for any stylistic decision - from high-tech to the Empire style. An original decoration of the interior will be a woven pattern-panel.
Important! Modern design solution that opens the field for fantasy and allows you to realize the most daring ideas, are wallpapers that are characterized by alternating the same texture in different sizes. They are intended not only to give the interior a fresh and new stylistic solution, but also to retouch a particular section of the wall, the appearance of which you are not happy with.
- If you choose glass wallpaper on the ceiling, fiberglass web, characterized by the absence of any texture and pattern, will be an ideal solution for you. Their use is mainly aimed at reinforcing the surface, which, after finishing, acquires a perfectly smooth texture.
Recommendations for working with glass wallpaper: nuances that everyone should know
- Despite the fact that glass murals are characterized by the same appearance on both sides, often on the seamy side, manufacturers put a gray strip,
- Glue for glass wall paper is applied to the wall, not to the glass wall cloth. Taking into account the fact that the wallpaper is glued end to end, it is necessary to leave an allowance equal to 5-10 cm to adjust the pattern. When sticking a "web", there is no need to leave a seam allowance.
- Painting of glass fiber is carried out twice with an interval of 12 hours. For the first time painting of glass fiber should be carried out not earlier than two days after sticking,
- To reduce paint consumption for painting glass wall paper, glass wall paper is treated with primer based on glue for glass wall paper.
How to glue glass wallpaper for painting: a step by step guide
"How to stick the glass on the ceiling?" - The question of concern to many homeowners. Next, we present a step-by-step instruction that will give a detailed answer to this question. First of all, prepare all the necessary tools.
You will need:
- A set of metal spatulas,
- Paint rollers of high softness,
- The brush needed to wash the whitewash from the ceiling
- Masking cord for marking,
- Sharp knife for cutting cullet,
- Marker or Pencil
- Glue bath and water tank.
How to prepare the ceiling before sticking fiberglass?
Due to the fact that glass murals are a finishing material, their sticking should begin with the preparation of the surface, which should be perfectly clean and level. The first stage of the preparation of the ceiling is its inspection, which allows you to determine the most significant surface defects, for example, areas of exfoliated plaster or whitewash. If you do not give them proper attention, they will later exfoliate along with glass fiber wallpaper.
Important! To assess the degree of wear whitewash, it is enough to hold it by hand. If as a result of this action there are white marks on the hand, then it is necessary to clean the surface. Experts recommend using a soap solution or various washes for this.
If you are dealing with perennial detachment of plaster, they should be sprinkled with water and removed with a sharp spatula. If it is necessary to remove soot stains or greasy traces, wash them with water with the addition of traditional detergents.
To level the surface of the ceiling, it must be completely puttied after first applying a layer of primer with a soft roller. After the putty layer dries, the surface is grinded over the entire area with emery paper and cleaned of the formed dust. Before directly gluing the glass, a second layer of primer is applied.
Important! So that on the surface, pasted over with glass-based wallpaper, a solid foundation is obtained, before gluing glass-wall wallpaper, you must wait until the primer is completely dry.
Note! If you stick fiberglass on a gypsum ceiling, before directly mounting them, the seams between the sheets must be patched with putty, and then ground using emery paper.
How to glue glass wallpaper on the ceiling?
- Before you start gluing the ceiling with glass wallpaper, check the temperature in the room where you will work. The working temperature range for gluing glass wall covering is from 18 to 25 degrees. The optimum level of humidity does not exceed 70%.
- When choosing a glue for glass coatings, give preference to the Oscar adhesive, popular in Russia, which is sold both in dry and in liquid form.
- Before you glue the wall paper, make a ceiling layout, making an indent from the wall equal to the width of the wallpaper. Such marks must be made on both sides and, using a paint cord, draw a longitudinal line between them, along which the first sheet is glued.
- To apply the adhesive to the surface of the glass, use a paint roller. After applying the adhesive, the wallpaper is applied on one side and is fixed along the entire length. To smooth the bubbles, use a wide plastic spatula. The following sheet must be glued end to end.
How to glue video glass
Disadvantages of glass cloth wallpaper:
- they are difficult to remove during subsequent repairs,
- их стоимость выше, чем у бумажных, флизелиновых и виниловых обоев,
- цена значительно зависит от рельефности и рисунка,
- обои со слабовыраженным рельефом можно перекрашивать всего несколько раз, после чего рисунок сгладится,
- достаточно скромный выбор узоров, не для любителей однотонных стен,
The remaining problems are connected rather with a small amount of information or improper handling of this type of wallpaper:
- It is recommended to glue them in gloves, a mask, and clothes with long sleeves, but in the production the workers use only ear plugs. Fiberglass will always be associated with the word "glass wool", so the fact that glass wall glares sometimes cause itching in the hands can be explained by increased suspiciousness. Broken glass fibers are much thicker than those of glass wool and do not have pointed ends, so they cannot penetrate the lungs and irritate the skin. After the fiberglass is firmly glued, it is no longer pricked,
- you can not get rid of any pollution, if you choose the wrong type of paint,
- paint goes more than indicated on the can. Fiberglass very absorbs glue and paint, so it is better to prime the glass-fiber with diluted glue solution before painting. This will reduce paint costs.
- at coloring there are stains. A layer of paint is applied twice, once vertically, and then horizontally.
Glass cloth wallpaper - a very interesting type of finishing materials. If you choose a rich color paint, you can emphasize the embossed pattern. And pastel colors, on the contrary, will smooth it and give the wall evenness. For the kitchen or bath, you can choose glossy and semi-gloss paint, and for the living room - matte. Such wallpaper can paste over the entire room or some kind of functional area. Dare, experiment and create a unique apartment interior!
One of the materials for finishing, which are gaining popularity, are glass wall. Reviews of this product should be considered before purchase. This is a unique type of finish. It has a rather high cost, as the production technology is complex.
To make this type of wallpaper, fiberglass is heated to very high temperatures. After that, pull a thin and long thread. It forms a kind of yarn. After that, the threads almost immediately braid in a special way. This is how fibers are formed. Fabric is created from them.
Fiberglass is applied to the substrate. Thus it turns out to create modern varieties of wallpaper. The description of the production process was presented very briefly. In fact, you need to perform a lot of operations before the finished wallpaper appears. This is what allows you to endow the finished material with unique characteristics.
According to reviews, glass wallpaper in the bathroom, in the nursery, bedroom, living room, as well as other rooms can be used without restrictions. All components from which they are produced are natural. They do not emit toxic substances. Therefore, the presented type of finish can be used in almost any room.
Glass fiber is distinguished by both positive and negative qualities. To decide on the appropriateness of choosing such a finish, you need to consider these characteristics in detail. According to reviews, glass wallpaper on the ceiling or walls can be glued in both office and residential premises.
This is one of the most durable types of finishes. He is not afraid of mechanical effects. They are almost impossible to tear or scratch. This makes the material durable. The structure of such wallpaper is very similar to fabric or knitting. It consists of loops. Due to this material does not prevent the movement of steam. This allows you to maintain a favorable indoor climate.
Wallpapers are made from environmentally friendly components. This is glass. Therefore, it does not form a fungus or mold. Under the wallpaper the walls will not collapse.
It is also worth noting that the presented type of finish is not destroyed by mechanical effects. If in time you need to update only a small piece of wallpaper, you can remove the old material and install in its place a new finish. The joints of these wallpapers are almost invisible.
Fiberglass wallpaper is not subject to burning. They are not afraid of water, they retain their former appearance even after the room was flooded from above by their neighbors. In this case, the service life is 30 years or more. Many options for shades and textures allows you to choose the material in accordance with the existing interior.
According to reviews, glass wallpaper for the bathroom, kitchen, office space have several disadvantages. This must be considered before starting work. The presented type of finish, in contrast to other types of wallpaper, is absolutely non-plastic. It must be mounted on a perfectly flat surface.
It should be noted that the cost of such material is quite high. Therefore, not every buyer can afford glass wallpaper. This type of material is also very difficult to dismantle. They are hard to remove from the surface. This is a very time consuming process.
It is also worth noting that glass wall paper is used exclusively for painting. In this case, the material for finishing takes a lot. Porous surfaces require a large amount of paint. They quickly absorb it. You also need to adhere to the established norms of consumption of glue and paint. If their layers are thick, the wallpaper may fall under its own weight.
Paint for glass wall coatings, reviews of which are provided by experts, must meet the requirements of the manufacturer of the finish. Otherwise, spots and smudges appear on the surface, which will subsequently be quite difficult to remove. When applying multiple layers of a helmet texture becomes almost invisible.
Knowing the features of the use of glass fiber, you can eliminate all the negative aspects of this material. The advantages possessed by glass mills make this material popular.
Considering the reviews of glass wallpaper for painting, you can note a lot of positive statements from both professionals and ordinary buyers. This type of finish can be used in almost any room. Such wallpapers are used to create the interior of apartments, private houses, as well as in office premises, restaurants and shopping centers.
Due to its high environmental performance, unpretentiousness and resistance to various adverse effects, the decor presented is allowed to choose for the interior decoration of hospitals, kindergartens, schools. The composition of these wallpapers include clay, limestone sand and some other natural materials.
A special requirement for using this type of finish is proper base preparation. If there are significant differences in height, unevenness or defects on the wall or ceiling, it is impossible to glue glass wall paper without preliminary preparation.
It is also worth saying that the presented wallpapers are not afraid of high humidity and high temperatures. They are easy to clean, they can be cleaned with a brush and chemical detergents. Therefore, for the decoration of the kitchen, bathroom, room for rest in the bath, this type of wallpaper is a good option.
Considering reviews about the glass in the bathroom, in the kitchen, residential and public buildings, it should be noted a lot of positive opinions of experts about this type of finish. This is a universal material that can be glued to different types of bases. Glass fiber can be used for walls and ceilings made of wood, brick, metal, concrete and other types of materials.
Experts also note that this type of wallpaper has a high density. It is the most reliable and durable material that exists on the market today. Glass fiber has good reinforcing qualities. They do not allow the formation of cracks on the walls, prevent the appearance on the basis of various defects. This significantly extends the life of the building itself.
This material does not accumulate static electricity. Due to this property, the wallpaper does not accumulate dust. Finishing much longer does not lose its attractive appearance than other types of similar materials.
Such wallpaper can be painted up to 20 times. At the same time, they do not lose their attractive appearance, they are not deformed. However, it is worth considering that when buying wallpaper of poor quality (from unverified vendors and manufacturers), such materials may be fragile. Material may break or crumble. Glass fiber of high quality does not possess such properties.
There are different types of glass fiber. They can be embossed or smooth. The second type of materials is also called “cobweb”. They are used to strengthen the base and as the creation of decorative finishes. According to the reviews, glass web "web" in appearance correspond to its name. Their surface has no pronounced relief. She looks like a web. This group of fiberglass is also called fiberglass.
Smooth varieties of this type of finish are less dense. Their surface is smooth. This type of finish is often used in new buildings. They prevent the occurrence or growth of microcracks, which can occur during shrinkage of the building.
Embossed varieties are very popular. They are more dense than smooth glass wall paper. Their reinforcing qualities will be higher. Also this type of materials is used as a finishing finish. It is more resistant to mechanical stress.
Produce textured glass wall murals in a different way. If fiberglass cloth is produced on an ordinary machine, they will have simple geometric shapes on the surface. It can be rhombuses, squares, herringbone, etc. On jacquard looms you get wallpaper with a more complex and interesting pattern. The cost of this type of material is higher than that of other varieties.
Reviews brand "Wellton"
Today there are glass wall mills from different manufacturers. They differ in technical characteristics, cost and quality. Experts do not recommend purchasing products of lesser-known companies. Such products may be fragile, do not meet the requirements of international standards.
One of the most famous and popular varieties of materials of this type are, according to reviews, Wellton glass wall paper. This is one of the oldest manufacturers. Wellton enjoys prestige and is a leader in this industry. The manufacturer is engaged in the manufacture of not only glass fiber, but also related products. These are, for example, special adhesives, primers, etc. The Wellton brand is distinguished by exemplary quality.
The main plant of the company is in Sweden. There are many collections of cullet wallpapers on sale. They differ in design, cost and density. The most expensive is the collection "Classic." It is made at a factory in Sweden. Design and texture may vary. Depending on the type of design, the cost can be from 6 to 13 thousand rubles. per roll 50 m.
The average cost is different collection "Optima." It is produced in China. Such glass wall paper is sold in rolls 25 m long. The cost is 2.5-3 thousand rubles. Also in China produce wallpaper series "Decor". Their length is 12.5 m. The cost is from 1.5 to 2.5 thousand rubles.
A subsidiary of the Swedish company is the Oscar brand. Its production facilities are also located in China. According to reviews, Oscar glass wall paper has a simpler pattern. The cost ranges from 1 to 2 thousand rubles. per roll 25 m.
Reviews about the brands "Vitrulan", "Norton"
According to the reviews, Vitrulan glass wall paper is also of good quality. Production facilities are located in Germany. It was originally produced glass. Further, the company became the world's first producer of glass wool. This manufacturer began working in the 19th century. Translated from Latin, the name of this company is translated as "glass fiber".
Today, "Vitrulan" produces a huge number of types of glass fiber. There are different collections. They differ in technical characteristics, cost and design. The cost varies from 2.5 to 7.5 thousand rubles. per roll of 25 m. The company is also engaged in the production of related products, which is used during the pasting wallpaper.
Also holds a leading position in the market, the company "Norton". Its main market is our country. Production facilities are located in China and the Czech Republic. Collections differ in texture, pattern, density and cost. The price can vary from 1.5 to 2.5 thousand rubles. per roll length of 25 m.
Norton supplies the market with an economy class line. The cost of such glass fiber can be from 1 to 1.5 thousand rubles. per roll 20 m.
Other popular manufacturers
Glass fiber and other brands are in demand in our country. They are known for decent quality and have an affordable price. According to reviews, X Glass glass wallpaper is in good demand. This is a Finnish company whose production facilities are located in Russia. The production of this brand is the company LLC "League". This allows you to deliver to the market high quality products at an affordable cost.
Also, buyers in our country choose the glass wallpaper of the American company Tassoglass. The range of its products is wide. The cost of these fiberglass average. Also, according to reviews, the glass wall mounts of the companies “Baw Master”, “Mermet” are distinguished by decent quality. They are made in China. The cost of such glass fiber acceptable.
Wall pasting procedure
According to reviews, glass wallpaper in the kitchen, bathroom or living rooms can be glued on their own. This will require the preparation of a foundation. It is aligned if necessary. Minor defects can be left. Porous materials need to be primed. Preparing glue.
Next, the composition is treated wall, which will be pasted piece of wallpaper. The material must be docked overlap, if the pattern is textured. For smooth glass walling, you can do butt joint. On the surface of the canvas need to walk with a rubber roller. This will evenly distribute the adhesive and remove air bubbles from under the wallpaper.
The finish should dry within 24 hours. Drafts are unacceptable at this time. Glue material becomes soft. It can be damaged. Therefore, care should be taken in the pasting process. Otherwise, the result of the work will be unsatisfactory. After pasting the wallpaper and drying it, you can apply a special paint on the surface in accordance with the chosen interior design.
Considering what a glass wall, a feedback on this material, buyers and experts, you can choose the right material for finishing any room.
The advantages and disadvantages of fiberglass
There are many different types of wallpaper, and some are made from very unusual and unexpected materials, such as glass. And what features such coverage differs in, and what rules should be followed when sticking? This is worth finding out.
What is a glass wall, what are they?
Glass fiber is made of special glass fibers, which include components such as dolomite, quartz, sand, lime and others. In the production of special blanks, they first melt, then yarns are formed from them, from which webs are made, subsequently cut into strips and twisted into separate rolls.
There are two main types:
- Fiberglass or so-called "cobweb". Such a canvas is formed by the combination of glass threads, has a small thickness and smooth texture. This type is used, as a rule, for preparing, leveling or reinforcing walls before finishing. Fiberglass evenly fills small cracks and enhances the adhesion of walls with decorative finishing materials. As a self-completing coating, the “cobweb” is not used.
- Fiberglass or the so-called glass fiber wallpaper is made by complex weaves of glass filaments, which form a relief texture. The canvas can have various patterns, such as Christmas tree, diamonds, waves, circles, matting, imitation of drops or rice paper textures and so on. This coating is ideal for finishing, but can be additionally coated with paint.
How to make a choice?
How to choose the best glass wall? When buying them you need to take into account several criteria. The first is density. The higher it is, the longer the coverage will last. In addition, a high rate provides the possibility of several stains. The optimal value is 100 grams per square meter. and higher.
Rate relief. About the possible patterns was written above, and the more complex the texture, the more paint will be needed if it is applied. Also embossed wallpaper can accumulate pollution.
The next criterion is the documentation, which should indicate the composition, contacts of the manufacturer, features of certification, and so on. The composition includes fiberglass and impregnation, and the concentration of the latter should not exceed 30%.
And finally, it is worth considering manufacturers. Virtulan, Alaxar, Nortex, X-Glass, Vertex are considered the most popular and deservedly reputable companies.
Features of sticking
First of all, you should write about what glue is suitable for glass wall. You need to choose a specialized tool designed specifically for this material or for heavy wallpaper. Если использовать неподходящее, то оно может не выдержать веса покрытия.
- Подготовка поверхности, которая включает удаление старых отделочных материалов и выравнивание стен, например, с помощью шпаклёвки. Затем наносится грунтовка.
- Next you need to cut the glass wall, finding their wrong side. This is not easy, as it is similar to the front one, but some manufacturers put labels in the form of lines for convenience. If they are not, then remember that such a material, according to the standards, is folded face down. It is possible to cut wallpaper with scissors or a stationery knife, and it is obligatory to wear long sleeves, gloves and preferably in a respirator or mask.
- Using a roller, apply glue to the walls. It is not applied to the canvas.
- Begin to glue butt-to-butt glass tile. Spread them with a rubber roller.
If you want to paint the walls, then suitable quality latex, water-dispersion or acrylic paint. It is applied after the glue has completely dried. Consumption is quite large, and to achieve the desired shade requires a minimum of two layers.
Glass fiber is a great design option for walls, if you choose them correctly and stick them.
Pros and cons of glass painting for painting
Glass fiber has many advantages. This is an environmentally friendly material containing only:
- quartz sand,
All these are natural substances without any chemical additives. Besides:
- glass wallpaper differs from paper analogues unique fire safety, they do not ignite, do not emit hazardous substances when heated,
- the canvases are so strong that they perform the function of reinforcement, increasing the resistance to cracking of walls,
- do not deform during shrinkage, so they are good to finish the walls in new buildings,
- the service life of glass fiber is over 30 years,
- they are not affected by changes in humidity and temperature fluctuations,
- at the same time, glass wall beads allow steam, thereby preventing the formation of condensate and making the indoor microclimate comfortable,
- they do not just accumulate, but repel dust,
- glass wallpaper resistant to all types of household chemicals,
- do not fade in the sun
- do not allow the development of mold and mildew, as in the composition of the glass fiber wallpaper there are no substances that create the conditions for their activity,
- They are safe for people with allergies.
There are fewer shortcomings in glass fiber than undeniable advantages:
- after the sticker they are very difficult to remove, the walls will have to be scraped off for a long time,
- glass wallpaper is not plastic, requires very smooth walls for sticking, otherwise it can break, but much depends on the manufacturer’s brand,
- because of the porosity, they need more glue and paint than for ordinary wallpaper for painting.
Harm fiberglass wallpaper: truth or myth?
It is not uncommon to claim that glass wallpaper is not safe for health, and manufacturers for the sake of profit hide the truth. There were such rumors, obviously, because of the glass wool, which served as insulation, and indeed its small particles could fall into the lungs if they were not followed.
Glass cullets are environmentally friendly material.
Glass fiber is a completely different material than glass wool. The fibers are much thicker, their particles are much harder and they simply cannot overcome the path to our lungs. These fibers are not only bulky, but also more elastic, smooth, and as a result - less brittle. Tightly intertwined with each other, they are firmly held within the canvas. An additional protection is the paint that covers the fiberglass wallpaper.
When cutting the wallpaper you need to be careful, small particles can damage the skin.
Some caution, working with glass fiber, to observe is still worth it. When cutting and sticking, it is necessary to protect the skin, since the particles separated in the process of working are quite prickly, and in some cases become the cause of short-term irritation. Closed clothing with long sleeves will help to avoid this, as well as an ordinary medical mask made of gauze.
Suspicious low cost
When buying glass wall mills, one should not lose vigilance and purchase products of proven manufacturers. This reputation was earned by German and Swedish firms. Wallpapers made in an artisan way will fail at any time:
- already when trying to roll out a roll, it can simply crumble in the hands,
- tear when sticking,
- lose an attractive look not after 20, but after 2 painting.
You should always be interested in having a certificate. When it is not there or its authenticity is suspicious, the purchase should be abandoned. No need to be fascinated by cheapness, unless, of course, the store does not pass a special promotion, which is accompanied by a wide alert.
It is a shame when deception is revealed even after the labeling of poor-quality coatings, which the high-quality glue did not regret. It will be almost impossible to do something, except stubing and leveling the walls stubbornly and for a long time, running to the store for new rolls.
Preference should be given to proven manufacturers.
Scope of application
Glass fiber is equally good in any interior. Walls decorated by them, often seem to be covered with expensive fabric. They are widely used:
- in offices,
- in public places,
- apartments and houses,
- medical facilities
- educational institutions
Exceptional resistance to any damage, unpretentiousness in the care make fiberglass irreplaceable material in many cases. It is convenient to maintain order with them. Reinforcing properties smooth out the effect of shock. Even in housing where there are pets, the walls do not bear the marks of teeth and sharp claws. They always look neat and stylish, even after a flood arranged by neighbors.
Glass fiber will look beautiful in any interior
Having found out what glass fiber is, it's time to move on to the question of how to glue them properly.
- The material can be glued to various surfaces, be it brick or drywall, wood or concrete, metal or plastic, the preparation of which consists in filling plastics of large defects and priming a weak solution of glue on porous surfaces.
- Following the instructions, a special glue is being prepared for glass screening, the glue for paper wallpaper will definitely not work - fiberglass is much heavier, the works will go to waste. Instructions on how to properly prepare the adhesive solution can be found on the packaging.
- Glass fiber glued end to end. Taking into account the allowance for combining the pattern, strips of the desired length are cut, using a roller, glue is applied to the wall and a prepared cloth is pressed, which is ironed with a clean roller or cloth to remove air bubbles and excess glue. Similarly, is gluing the remaining bands. Starch impregnation of wallpaper, combining with glue, creates a reliable connection,
- Fiberglass dry for at least 2 days.
- After 48 hours, the coating can begin painting. Residential water-based paints are preferred for this purpose in a residential area. The second layer of paint is applied 12 hours after the first. To save water emulsion, glass fiber can be pre-primed with a liquid glue solution, slightly dried and started painting.
- Even at least a day in order to avoid drafts that can spoil everything, the room should be kept closed.
Purpose of the glass canvas
From the glass melt one more material is obtained, which can be called a relative of glass gutters. This is a glass canvas or, in other words, fiberglass “gossamer, made from so small fibers that they become visible only after being combined into canvases. Such a “cobweb is a non-woven material, the fibers are arranged randomly, which prevents the appearance of cracks. Thereby, it greatly eased the lot of the masters, because with the shrinkage of the building, the drying of the plaster, putty, small cracks on the walls and ceiling are almost inevitable and require painstaking repair. Painting canvas radically solves the problem - now it is an indispensable material for finishing.
They stick it on relatively flat walls, masking unexpressed cracks and irregularities and excluding the puttying operation.
This canvas is stuck on the wall to mask the cracks.
On drywall, the paint canvas retouchs the joints well, eliminates the possibility of cracks. When it is necessary to level the ceiling, they take the thinnest cobweb - 25 g / m², the thicker canvas (40-50 g / m²) is intended for walls.
For gluing the painting fiberglass need glue for glass wall. The technology is almost identical to wallpaper operations:
- a thick layer of glue with a roller or brush is evenly distributed on the wall or ceiling,
- "The cobweb rolls over the blurred wall, the canvas should be flattened so that it lies flat, without folds,
- with a plastic spatula, air bubbles are removed from the middle to the edges,
- glue is applied to the surface of the fiberglass, which is ground with a spatula to fill the pores,
- the next sheet overlaps with the first one approximately 2 cm.
- using a ruler and a stationery knife with a sharp blade both blades are cut,
- excess strips are removed, the surface under the joint is again coated with adhesive, the joint is fixed with a spatula,
- the pores of the second web, like the first, are rubbed with glue,
- the sequence of actions is repeated until the completion of the work front.
Original, durable, safe glass wall murals for painting with their numerous advantages and small drawbacks are worth a closer look at them and, having evaluated the numerous advantages and modest drawbacks, make an informed choice.
Glass fiber - definition of the material, its types
Designers consider the material in question as the most practical and interesting view from all existing - they look not only stylish, but presentable on the walls and ceiling. The history of glass wall murals began in Germany in the 1930s, when colored glass was used to produce them. Much later, people learned how to synthesize this material from wool and glass - the quality of this “artificial” material was beyond doubt, it is not surprising that it was used to finish the interior surfaces of a room.
At first glance, glass wallpaper is all the same, and in fact there are two main types of material:
- smooth - are characterized by low density, even texture and are called “cobweb” in the people,
- embossed - more dense, they are used for finishing finishing works, it is almost impossible to tear them in the process of gluing or operation, they have many options for the relief pattern.
Fiberglass can also be distinguished according to the pattern of the canvas - it can be with a textured pattern (this means that it was made on a standard loom) or with a more complex / elegant pattern (a jacquard was used in the manufacture of the blade).
Glass fiber: advantages and disadvantages
The considered type of finishing material has distinct advantages, which are appreciated by both professional designers and amateurs to work with their own hands. These include:
- Absolute environmental friendliness of the material. Glass fiber is breathable, safe, and contains exclusively natural materials: clay, quartz sand, soda and dolomite (this is the basis of the material).
- High level of fire safety. According to the experiments conducted in laboratory and natural conditions, the material under consideration is very poorly exposed to fire, therefore the risk of ignition from a spark is minimal.
- Low allergenicity. This fact makes it possible to use glass wall coverings for finishing walls and ceilings in the children's room - its hypoallergenic and inability to absorb dust particles makes it absolutely safe.
- Glass fiber does not allow moisture, they do not form condensate. In addition, they are not a breeding ground for the reproduction of fungi and mold. This is an important competitive advantage over glass wallpaper liquid wallpaper.
Important: even if the water falls directly on the walls pasted over with glass-based wallpaper, the texture of the wallpaper and the density of the material will not change.
- The rules for the use of the material in question are so simple that even a person without special education, a novice in construction, can use glass wall paper for interior decoration.
note: glass wallpaper withstands repeated paint changes - according to manufacturers, the material can be repainted at least 15 times.
You will learn about all the advantages and characteristics of glassworks by looking at the video review:
As for the shortcomings of glass fiber, they are practically non-existent. It is only necessary to take into account that it is very difficult to remove such wallpapers from the walls (it is much more complicated than paper ones, not to mention non-woven), for their sticking you need special expensive glue, and glass wall mills are not cheap. If you buy a fake or the most budget option, the number of drawbacks will increase.
Unfortunately, there are also samples of the material under consideration that is made in artisanal conditions - of course, such glass wall-paper will have the following disadvantages:
- when you try to deploy a roll of glass wallpaper just crack in the hands (crumble),
- when gluing low-quality glass wallpaper tears,
- during operation, such material loses its appearance after 2 colors.
note: if after pasting surfaces it is planned to repeatedly change the color tint, then it is advisable to purchase glass wall tiles with a pronounced textured pattern, otherwise, after a maximum of 7 colors, the appearance of the walls will lose its original attractiveness.
How to choose the paint for glass
Absolutely any paint, if necessary, should not be used to treat surfaces with glass wallpaper - there is a special material on the market for such work. The most commonly used are only two types of glass wall paint:
- styrene butadiene and latex - characterized by a high level of moisture resistance,
- acrylic - has a high level of resistance to ultraviolet rays (it will not fade even in direct sunlight) and a wide palette of shades.
Special paints for glass wallpaper are well absorbed and dry quickly - this makes it possible to carry out finishing work during the cold season. They do not have a strong odor, so it is not necessary to relocate people from the premises being repaired. Acrylic paint will give the surface gloss, the other types will provide a matte finish.
Paint on glass wall paper in the usual way - with a roller, strictly vertical lines, observing a single direction over all surfaces. But there are some features that are inherent only for working with glass wallpaper:
- Before applying paint, it is advisable to treat the surface with glued glass wallpaper with diluted wallpaper glue (the best option is acrylic). This will ensure better adhesion of the paint and the glass-cutting surface, and also make it possible to make the joints between the strips almost invisible.
- It is better to choose a roller with a high pile - the texture of the fiberglass will completely dye, there will be no gaps. You can use a spray gun for painting or an absolutely smooth (lint-free) roller. You can use a short nap roller if there are glass wall hangings or spiderwebs on the wall.
- Painting work must be performed with natural light - artificial light refracts the surface, makes some areas too dark and evenly apply paint to professionals.
- 2-3 layers of paint are applied on glass fiber, and when using material with a complex texture of the layers, it can be 5-8. Each subsequent layer of paint can be applied only after 12 hours.
- The areas on the walls along the skirting boards should be painted over with a thin brush.
Important: calculation of paint for application to glass fiber - 600 ml per 1 square. If more paint is used, there is a danger of peeling the base material off the surface even if the highest quality materials are used in the finishing works.
If painting of glass fiber is carried out with bright / saturated colors, then to achieve the expected effect it is enough to apply 2 layers. In the case of registration of rooms in pastel colors, you can apply and 5-6 layers.
Glass fiber has relatively recently gained popularity and is not yet a common material for interior decorating. But it is fiberglass that helps to create a unique design, makes it possible to change the style of the interior by repainting surfaces many times, ensures the absence of cracks in the ceiling and walls. The only clarification: if you want to get rid of glass fiber making, you will have to exert maximum effort - a special glue for the material under consideration is very durable, you often have to use a sander to completely clean the walls.
Glass fiber is cheap, modern and very interesting: the process of staining can be safely called creative.
Glass wallpaper, is it dangerous?
Fiberglass is really made of glass, melting it and pulling it into threads. Затем на ткацких станках из них вырабатывают стеклоткань с обычным геометрическим рисунком – елочка, ромб, рогожка, паркет. Более сложные орнаменты производят на жаккардовых станках. Полученную ткань пропитывают специальным составом (крахмал и вода) и высушивают.After checking the quality of the material is packed in rolls of 25 or 50 m. On the packaging indicate all the necessary information, print instructions for working with the material.
Another type of material based on glass fibers is fiberglass (web). They are made by pressing the chopped fibers mixed with an adhesive solution.
Since the composition of the original product (glass) includes only natural ingredients (sand, clay, soda, limestone), the resulting material is environmentally friendly and natural.
Properties of glass cloth wallpaper
Fiberglass is not only environmentally friendly. She has many other advantages:
- Fiberglass fabric is durable and durable. It does not stretch, it is impossible to break it. But in the videos of manufacturers, the appearance of low-quality glass cloth wallpaper. They are not so elastic and crumble when squeezed.
- Glass fiber does not absorb water. This makes it very convenient to care for them: they can be washed even with the use of cleaning products and hard brushes.
- Fiberglass does not burn and prevents the spread of fire.
- The woven base of the wallpaper does not disturb the normal moisture exchange in the room, the walls “breathe”, so there is no mold or fungus on them.
- Glass fiber can be painted many times. In combination with durability, this allows you to update the design of the room without re-gluing the wallpaper.
- The structure of the wallpaper, their strength serves as an additional reinforcement for the walls.
- To glue such wallpaper is not more difficult than usual, many do it themselves.
The disadvantages include the high cost, but if we compare it with the service life, it turns out not so expensive. Manufacturers claim that the wallpaper will last 30 years or more. Increased paint consumption during painting is another drawback, but it can be avoided if the surface is first primed. The need to take precautions when working with them is a consequence of their glass fiber base.
Fiberglass-based wallpapers are divided into two main groups according to the production method: woven and pressed. Wall-paper obtained by the method of weaving is a finished finishing material. They have a relief structure and a certain ornament, from simple geometric to complex drawings and inscriptions. Glass cloth wallpaper more dense and durable, painted in different colors.
Another name for pressed glass wall is “spiderweb” or painting fiberglass. They are more loose in appearance and are used for leveling and reinforcing surfaces, followed by finishing. They are light and smooth, so they often glue over the ceiling than the walls.
What is in the package?
The rolls of glass fiber felts of the 1st grade have a standard width of 1 m. The length of the cloth is 25 m (China) or 50 m (Sweden). The rolls are packed in cellophane and have end caps to protect against damage. The front label indicates the country of origin and information about the material. On the inside printed instruction.
2nd grade cullets have any production defects or non-standard length. The label does not indicate the brand, put a grade of the 2nd, the length of the roll fits by hand. A roll may consist of several pieces.
How to choose a glass wall?
The choice of materials depends on several factors.
- First, there are always personal preferences in color, in drawing, in texture. Many people like to do repairs with their own hands, so they prefer to buy glass wallpaper for painting and implement their own ideas about design. Someone who is less demanding on quality is trying to save money and is buying 2nd grade wallpaper or choosing a little-known manufacturer.
- Secondly, there is technical feasibility. More dense and heavy glass cloth wallpaper is recommended to glue on the walls, lighter ones - on the ceiling. When choosing colors and textures, take into account not only your tastes, but also the specific conditions in the room: the size and lighting of the room, its purpose.
- Thirdly, the cost of wallpaper may seem unacceptable to someone.
And finally, the range in the store may not be as wide as we would like.
Video: How to glue glass wall paper
- Preparatory work. It includes the alignment of the walls and ceiling. Spread large irregularities and defects and, after drying, treat with a primer. Bring to perfect condition is optional. Glass fiber hide minor flaws. Still, it is better to finish the walls with a putty, clean with sandpaper and prime again. The better prepared the surface, the higher the quality of work.
- Use branded glue, do not save. Due to fast drying and high adhesiveness, it reliably holds heavy glass cloth wallpaper. Dry glue diluted with water, ready for use can immediately be applied to the walls. In most cases, the glue is applied to the surface to be glued on, but there is a wallpaper with an applied adhesive layer. They are simply moistened with water.
- After marking (drawing a vertical line) the wall is smeared with glue on the width of the roll and glued to the size of the cloth. Smooth wide brush or roller, achieving full adhesion.
- Glass cloth wallpaper glued end to end.
- Cloths with a complex pattern have to pick up, make the necessary allowance.
- The seamy side of the wallpaper is marked with a blue or gray stripe. The front has a more embossed pattern.
- To start painting after complete drying. On packages indicate a period of at least 12 hours, but it is recommended to wait a couple of days.
- Use latex-based water dispersion paint. Paint in several layers with a spray or roller.
- Untreated steamers take a lot of paint. Treat them with a special primer.
- If you have to remove the old glass wall, use a special composition for removal. Snip the wallpaper from the ceiling and pour liquid there. After some time, they are easily removed.
When choosing a glass wall, carefully inspect the packaging and read the label. Famous trademarks monitor the quality, their product meets all requirements. But on the Internet there are warnings about fakes.
Observe safety precautions when working: wear a respirator and safety glasses. Clothes should also be closed so that the glass microparticles do not fall on the body.