Kaleria is a herbaceous plant belonging to the Gesneriev family. The name of the flower was due to the scientist Michael Kohler. There are two other common, but less well-known names - Isolom and Tydea. In total, this genus includes about sixty species. The most popular varieties of kaleria are such as foxfly, boghotskaya, fluffy and pleasant.
Kaleria has oblong oval pubescent leaves, straight standing or creeping stems. The flowers are also covered with villi, shaped like bells and have a bent edge. Their color is usually not monophonic, and there are such shades as purple, coral, lilac, purple. Flowers are collected in inflorescences.
How to care for kaleria? Growing this flower involves the observance of several conditions:
- The right place. The kaleria flower is thermophilic, so it will be comfortable to feel in a warm room, in which there are no drafts.
- Suitable soil. The soil may consist of a part of turf, leaf soil and sand, as well as two parts of peat land. Shredded charcoal can be added to the substrate, which will perform drainage functions and prevent overmoistening of the root system.
- Lighting should be sufficient, but still delicate flowers and leaves should be protected from direct sunlight, especially in the afternoon and summer: they can be scattered by hanging a light curtain. It is best to put the pot on the east or west window. On the southern side, it is desirable to slightly deflect the calorie from the light source, and on the northern side the lighting may be insufficient. And even in the dormant period, when the kaleria begins to shed its leaves, the sun needs it.
- Temperature mode. In the summer, kaleria feels comfortable at 20-25 degrees. In winter, during the period of rest, the temperature can be reduced to 15-20 degrees.
- Humidity should be moderate, although the flower tolerates dry air. But it is still advisable to moisten the kaleria: for this, place a container with water next to it or spray water near the pot. But do not let drops fall directly on the flowers and leaves.
- Watering should be moderate during the active growing season, that is, from spring to autumn. Use separated and non-hard water at room temperature. In hot summer weather, watering may be more frequent: do not allow the soil to completely dry and form a crust on its upper layer.
- Transplantations take place as the plant grows and its roots develop, usually annually. It is recommended to do the transshipment, that is, carefully move the kaleria into a container of larger diameter together with an earth clod entangled with roots.
- It is possible to fertilize a kaleriya during flowering, it is best from the middle of spring to the end of summer. Fertilizers are applied once a week and a half. During rest, fertilizing is not needed.
Reproduction kaleriya at home is carried out in several ways. The first is grafting. Strong cutting is placed in a container with water and left in it until the first root processes appear - for about a week. Next, the shoot is planted in a small appropriately sized pot. As the kaleria grows, it moves to a larger capacity. It is also possible to use a leaf for reproduction, but it can take about three to five months to root.
The second breeding method is rhizome division. This option is simpler and can be used at any time of the year. Tuberiform scaly root knife is divided into two or three parts, and each is placed in a separate pot. Next, you need to regularly moisten the soil so that the processes take root and begin to develop.
During propagation by seeds, the material is sown in the spring season in a mixture of sand and peat, it is not necessary to fill it up. It is necessary to wait for the appearance of two or three formed leaves, and after that the sprouts can be swooped, that is, seated in different pots. Next, the shoots as they grow are pinned: the upper buds are removed to form lateral shoots. Pinching is carried out until the sprout has taken the form of a bush.
Kaleria - unpretentious plant, extremely rarely attacked by pests. Still, shoots may be affected by spider mites or aphids, which leave marked traces and provoke deformation and twisting of the leaves. When signs of attacks of parasites are treated with insecticides.
Excessively humid air can cause fungal diseases that are treated with fungicides. And when waterlogging increases the risk of developing rot. If the tender leaves of the kaleria are damaged or wetted, they may become stained or even fall off, which will greatly affect the appearance of the plant.
If the flower began to drop the leaves, it is not necessary to study signs. Such a sign indicates improper care, for example, a lack of light, using too cold water for irrigation.
Kaleria is a beautiful flower that will decorate the interior and please the eye, if you ensure it has the right care.
Kaleria flower description
There are about 65 species of this plant, which in nature can be seen in tropical areas of Central America. Its distinctive feature is located opposite each other, pubescent leaves with a variety of colors, from bright green to bronze color. But the main reason why the kaleria flower, such as in the photo, has become popular among houseplants is the original flowers. The plant forms them from spring to autumn with minor interruptions.
Flowers resemble modified bells that have an elongated corolla. Their color can be different: from pink to dark brown, interspersed with a different shade. Most often, hybrids are grown at home that have a long flowering period.
Temperature and lighting
In spring and summer, the most suitable for intensive flowering and good flower condition is a temperature of 20 - 25 ° C. After moving the plant to a dormant period, the temperature should be reduced. The optimum temperature will be 16 -17 ° C. It is important to consider that the plant does not tolerate drafts.
For well-being, kaleria colors need diffused lighting and the absence of direct sunlight. At the same time the leaves of the plant become bright and thick. The optimal location is windows, with east and west orientation. If the windows have a southern orientation, the kaleria is slightly moved away from the light so that its leaves do not turn yellow. When placing plants on the windows that go to the north, he may not have enough lighting.
In winter, flower kaleriya also need to provide the necessary amount of light..
Watering and moisture
The flower should be watered moderately during active growth. Starting in the spring, after his awakening, and until the autumn, until it blooms. Be sure to follow the soil. In the heat of care at home for kaleriya is frequent watering to prevent drying out of the ground. In the winter, watering is rare, as the soil dries.
If the aboveground part of the kaleria is dead, watering is still continued, because in its absence the root will completely dry.
The plant prefers high humidity. When the air is very dry, for example, in the winter during the heating season, a pot with calories should be placed on a tray with expanded clay and water. But so that the pot does not touch the water.
To create a moist environment, you can spray the air with water at room temperature. Do not sprinkle the flower itself, because its leaves are pubescent. It must be remembered that when water gets on the leaves of the plant, they may appear dark spots.
Transplant and substrate
If necessary, a kaleria transplant can be done in the spring. Experienced growers are advised not to separate the soil from the roots, but simply to pass a flower into a new wide and shallow pot. Substrate for growing create from turf, leaf soil, peat and sand in a ratio of 1: 2: 1: 1. Soil is useful to supplement the charcoal, which absorbs excess moisture, detrimental to the root system.
The choice of a pot depends directly on the size of the rhizome of a kaleriya flower. The most suitable option - not deep, but a spacious pot with a diameter of 15 cm. It can be ceramic or plastic. It is preferable to use a ceramic pot, because it keeps moisture longer and the roots do not overheat. In addition, when placing flowers on the window, a pot of ceramics will add stability to them.
In order for a flower to grow well and blossom, it needs to be fertilized. For this, 1-2 times a month complex fertilizers are applied to the soil, which are suitable for flowering plants.
The period of intense flowering kaleriya falls in the summer-autumn. During dormancy, the life of the plant does not stop, so care for the flower of kaleria at home is in periodic watering.
The lack of kaleriya is also in the fact that at home three options are available for its reproduction. What is quite rare in exotic tropical plants.
Kaleria can be propagated in the following ways:
- division of rhizomes.
For reproduction of kaleriya by cutting, it is necessary to cut off the top of the shoot and plant it in a container with leaf soil and sand. Moisten the substrate and cover with plastic wrap. Soil needs to be aired daily and watered.
Kaleria should take root for 2 weeks. When the young process begins to grow, it must be transplanted into an individual pot.
To stimulate the formation of roots, cuttings before planting can be placed for 2-3 hours in a solution of stimulants.
Instead of shoots, you can use the leaves. They should be put in water or landed in wet sand. But their roots are formed more slowly, within a few months.
At home, it is easiest to breed kaleria by dividing the root. To do this in the spring, during the transplant of a flower, you need to use a sharp knife to divide the tuberous roots. Place the cut sprinkle with charcoal and leave to dry slightly. Then plant them in individual pots. The roots need to deepen a few centimeters into the soil and water. After some time, a new plant should grow from each part of the root.
An elegant, unusual, easy-to-care and breeding red kaleria can grow even a beginner in floriculture. If you follow all the rules, it will please others for a long time with its beautiful and bright flowers.
Types of kaleriya
Total described more than 65 species of plants. The most popular ones are:
- Fluffy color. Tall plant reaching 80 cm in height. Leaves rich green color with red pubescence. The flowers are red with yellow specks on the petals,
- Digital color. Srednerosly view, under the right conditions almost year-round flowering is possible. The flowers have a wide limb of petals, the color is pink and green, with purple inclusions,
- Nice. Reaches a length of up to 60 cm, there are white and long hairs on the shoots, and red leaves on the leaves. The flower is pink with purple strokes, painted yellow inside.
The seeds and seedlings of the plant must be bought in a specialty store, because poor-quality seed does not germinate well and does not always correspond to the description of the species in the photo.
Kaleria is considered to be a capricious plant, but for abundant flowering and rapid growth, it is enough to observe proper care - watering, feeding, transplanting and accounting for the vegetative stages of the flower.
Soil for planting a flower can be purchased at the store. Ready substrates for kalerii not find, so you can use the compounds for gloxinium or saintpaulia. However, it is better to prepare the soil yourself, mixing 2 parts of the black earth and 1 part of peat and sand.
During soil preparation, it is important to create drainage necessary for the regulation of moisture. For this purpose, used pebbles, expanded clay or coarse river sand.
At home, kaleriya easier to grow seeds or with cuttings. Seed planting process:
- Sowing is best done in the second half of winter, starting in mid-January. Seeds are sown in a shallow container, lightly covered with soil from above. As a substrate, it is desirable to use a mixture of sand and chernozem in a 1: 1 ratio.
- Land should be poured abundantly with water and covered with a film or glass before germination. During this period, it is necessary to maintain the temperature up to 24 ° C, as well as to air the landing every day.
- As soon as sprouts have 2-4 healthy leaves, they can be transplanted into separate pots.
Planting plants cuttings - a simple way, suitable even for beginners. The material is used by adults and healthy shoots, which are rooted in a container with water before planting, and then kept for several days in a biostimulant solution (for example, Kornevin). After rooting, they are planted in separate containers and watered abundantly with warm water.
A dense and strong root is formed in a kaleria, so it is not recommended to buy a large and high pot, since all the nutrients will be spent on feeding the root system. The optimal solution is not a very deep capacity, with a diameter of up to 15 cm. Plastic or ceramics will be suitable as a material, which will give additional stability when the flower is kept on the windowsill.
During the active growth and flowering of kaleria, it is desirable to apply fertilizer. It is better to use ready-made preparations in liquid form for feeding Saintpaulia or orchids. The flower also responds well to the introduction of biohumus. Fertilizers need to be applied in the spring, and then in the middle of summer, one feeding each month.
Lighting and site selection
Unlike other members of the Gesneriaceae family, kolery is less demanding on air temperature and humidity levels - normal room conditions will do.
Pick up a hidden place for a plant without drafts.
The plant is light-requiring, but do not allow overheating from direct sunlight, especially watch this on hot summer days. If during the rest period the kolery did not shed the leaves, good lighting would be required.
Temperature and watering
Maintain temperature in the range of 20-25 ° C. In a period of rest, decrease to 15-17 ° C.
During the period of active growth and flowering (spring-autumn) water moderately. Maintain balance: do not overwet, but do not let the earthy coma dry out. With the onset of winter watering is minimized. When the aboveground part has died, it is enough to periodically slightly moisten the soil, so that the root system does not dry out.
Koleriya is adapted to dry air, but as a resident of the tropics loves moisture. Do not allow water to fall on the velvet leaves of the plant: spray the space around the flower, you can periodically place the plant pot on a tray with wet clay, moss.
Water for spraying and watering must be softened (defend at least during the day), room temperature.
During the period of active flowering (April-August) it is necessary to feed with fertilizers for ornamental flowering plants. Feed every week.
The period of rest and transplanting a riza in early spring
In winter, there is a period of rest: the above-ground part dies away. It is necessary to place the plant with a dry cool place, periodically moisten the earthy lump so that the earth does not dry out. In the spring, transplant with a rhizome (rootlets).
For planting use small bowls. Be sure to lay a drainage layer on the bottom of the tank.
Suitable universal substrate, if possible, prepare the following mixture: leaf, sod land, peat, sand in a ratio of 2: 1: 0.5: 0.5.
Formation of crown kolerii
To bush was lush and densely leafy, you should pinch the tops of the shoots in time, stimulating the growth of lateral shoots. Begin with a central shoot: scissors cut a growth point over a 6-8 leaf.
In this case, axillary shoots will begin to actively develop, they are treated in the same way: they cut off the tops over the 6-8 leaf, maybe over 3-4 meters. Such pinching will keep a compact bush with magnificent leaves and twigs.
If you do not pinch the colony, it will grow in one trunk, the view will remain completely unattractive: the plant will stretch out, and in many cases the colony may even lie, ugly hanging from a pot.
Growing from seed
Seeds seedlings photo seedlings
To obtain seeds, it is necessary to conduct cross-pollination. Sow them in the spring in a peat-sand mixture. Moisten the soil, spread the seeds over the surface without deepening. Cover the crops with a transparent film or glass and place in a bright, warm place. Expect shoots of 2-2.5 weeks. Periodically air the greenhouse. With the advent of 2 true leaves, dive down the plants and spread out in separate pots.
Diseases and pests, deficiencies in care
Gray bloom on the leaves indicates a fungal infection. This usually happens because of an excess of moisture in the air and the ground. It is necessary to remove the affected areas, carry out the treatment with a fungicide.
If the leaves and shoots dry, are deformed - this indicates damage by pests (aphid, spider mite). Treat with insecticides.
- Будьте аккуратны: листья растения хрупкие, при механическом воздействии легко ломаются.
- При попадании воды на листьях появляются пятна, потом лист сохнет и опадает.
- При избыточном поливе появляется гниль.
- Under the influence of direct sunlight or from excess nutrients the leaves turn pale, covered with yellow spots.
- Leaves curl when there is a lack of air humidity.
- If the plant does not shed its leaves for the winter, they may wither due to lack of lighting - resort to using fitolamps.
- The reasons for the lack of flowering can be: insufficient lighting, dry air, waterlogging of the soil, lack of nutrients, increased or decreased air temperature during the period of rest.
Kohleria digitaliflora photos
Shoots of plants reach a height of 80 cm, with age, they become lodging. The leaves are oblong-ovate in shape oppositely, are 12-15 cm long, about 8 cm wide. The color of the leaves is light green. Corolla tube is pulled out by 3-5 cm in length. Wide open limb consists of 5 lobes, the upper lobes have a yellowish-green color, the lower 2 lobes are dark crimson. The plant is completely (leaves, shoots, flowers) covered with white hairs.
Kohleria amabilis pleasant
Kolery Pleasant Kohleria amabilis photo
Bush height is about 40 cm. The leaves are wide, ovate, have a silver-green color with streaks of brown-purple hue. Tubular beaters of a length of 2 cm are painted in a bright pink color, the limb is decorated with specks of crimson hue.
Kohleria eriantha fluffy flower
Kohleria eriantha fluffy-flowered photo
Height reaches half a meter. Dark green leaves are covered with a fluff of a reddish tinge, passing along the veins and edges. The length of the corolla is 5 cm, it has an orange-red color, the lower lobes of the limb are covered with specks of yellow.
Kohleria bogotensis, Kohleria amabilis var. Bogotensis
Kohleria bogotensis, Kohleria amabilis var. Bogotensis photo
It reaches a height of 60 cm, leaf length is about 10 cm. The color of the leaf plates can be saturated green or lighter. The corollas are colored yellow-red, with purple specks scattered inside.
Kohleria lindeniana Ko Linia
Kohleria Lindeniana Ko Linia photo
Compact bush with a height of 20-30 cm. The leaves are beautiful: dark green above, covered with whitish pubescence, the lower part of the leaf plate is light green with a pinkish tint, the pattern of main veins is pronounced brightly. The rims 6 cm long are painted in a light purple color, white stripes and brown spots pass along them.
Koleriya grade Mother's Lipstick
Kohleria Mother’s Lipstick photo
The interesting name of the variety "mother's lipstick" is quite justified: the flowers look very impressive. The game is rich pink and dark burgundy shades, blotches of white specks and really create the illusion of gloss on the lips.
Coteria hybrid sciadotydaea hybrid
Koleriya sciadotydaea hybrid photo
The hybrid form of sciadotydaea hybrid has very large velvety flowers with a pink-red gamma. An interesting bitmap on the front side of the petals creates the illusion of expensive fabric against the background of a dark green canvas of equally luxurious leaves.
Shoots and leaves of varieties of this species are distinguished by a thick pile and fleshy. The stems have a yellowish tinge, and the leaves are light green. On short petioles, they are orderly attached to the stems, their sizes are smaller than average (5-6 cm). White flowers, green mouth. Petals may have pink spots and dots.
Caring for a potted plant at home
Koleriya not whimsical home plant
Care for colors at home is quite easy. With proper care, this plant pleases the owner-grower continuous growth and abundant flowering. Its main "requirements": regular watering, the absence of drafts, warm and slightly humid air. Colera can be called an unpretentious indoor plant.
The optimum temperature for growing crops
During the warm period, try to keep the air temperature around 22-26 degrees Celsius. These are the optimal conditions in which wild varieties are found at such a time. In winter, lower the ambient temperature to 16 degrees.
Should be placed in a place where direct sunlight will not fall on the leaves of the plant, but there will be diffuse sunlight. In no case can you leave the colors without lighting, it can lead to yellowing of leaves and wilting of flowers.
Bloom of color
Most varieties begin to bloom in July. This period lasts until mid-November, then the plant enters an economical mode and ceases to bloom. In a dormant period, there is no death of the shoots, but to alleviate the condition of the plant in winter, it is better to remove the longest stems with garden scissors.
Family transplant at home
Propagated by rhizome division
Colliers in the active period are characterized by rapid growth, so each season they require a more spacious pot. It is better to replant with a lump of the former substrate, simply tossing over into another pot and filling it with a similar composition of primer.
Replant the plant is necessary after leaving the state of rest. During flowering, it is better not to do this, as a last resort - at the end of November, when the last buds wither and die.
Plant Diseases and Pests
Spider mite is very common
The appearance of brown spots on the leaves and the fall of the villi suggests that too cold water is used for irrigation. It is treated simply: the plant must be moved to a warmer place and watered at room temperature.
Caring for a home at home is simple enough, it is important to observe some subtleties and monitor the condition of the flower in order to create the most favorable conditions in time.
Due to the presence of strong leaf pubescence they cannot be sprayed with water. To remove the dust, it is advisable to wipe the plant with a slightly damp cloth, and you can regulate the humidity in the room with an air humidifier or place a container with water near the battery. Care must be taken to prevent water from falling on the leaves - it leads to the formation of rot in the form of small brown spots.
Kaleria does not tolerate drafts, especially during the vegetative period. It is advisable to keep the flower in a place protected from the wind. During flowering, it is not allowed to lower the air temperature, and at rest, low temperatures are completely harmless to the stem and roots. Air cooling below 13 ° C must not be allowed, and remember that not all types of kaleria tolerate low temperatures well.
Starting in the fall, the kaleria begins to fade and enter a stage of rest. The beginning of the process can be seen on the leaves. They lose turgor and dry up. At this point, you need to cut all the dried parts so that there is only a rhizome and a small part of the stem. The pot with the plant should be placed in a warm and cool place until January. The soil should be watered as it dries to prevent the loss of the root part.
In some species, there is no resting stage - the bloom is almost year-round, so you can leave them for the winter on the windowsill, limiting watering and fertilizing during this period.
Kaleria tolerates the transplant process — it is necessary if the plant is sick, too big for a pot, or if the ground needs to be renewed. The procedure is preferably carried out in the fall after the end of flowering or in the spring before the start of active growth. It is advisable to replant the flower along with a lump of earth in order not to damage the root system. After the procedure, the plant should be poured abundantly, make biohumus or other growth stimulant.
At home, kaleriya occurs periodicity of vegetative periods. Active growth occurs from the beginning of spring, after reaching a long light day, with proper care, flowering continues almost the whole summer, until the beginning of autumn. It is recommended to pluck wilted buds, as they take away some of the nutrients. Then the plant goes into a stage of rest, which can be seen in characteristic wilt. At this point, you need to reduce all care procedures.
Pests and diseases
With the observance of the technology of cultivation and care, infection with pests and diseases is extremely rare. Most often, kaleria is affected by aphids and spider mites, which lead to leaf wilting and complete growth arrest. When insects are found on the vegetative parts of the flower, it is necessary to carry out a complex treatment with insecticide.
In conditions of high humidity, root rot and powdery mildew infection is possible. When the characteristic spots of gray or white on the leaves, the plant should be cut off, and the rhizome carefully treated with a fungicide.
Kaleria - a common decorative flower, which, despite the whimsical, well take root at home. The plant is often used for decorating the premises - during flowering, it can decorate any interior. When growing kaleriya you need to follow the rules of care - to water, fertilize and replant the plant in a more spacious capacity.
Types and varieties of colors
The birthplace of the flower is South America. There, the Colombian beauty or hysleria, isolom, tydeya, the Colombian bell grows in tropical forests, preferring stony heights and the neighborhood of mighty trees.
His scientific name Tropikanka obliged science teacher Michael Kohler, who lived in Zurich in the nineteenth century.
This perennial herbaceous plant is provided with pubescent oval leaves, the color of which varies from light green to rich green. There are also hybrids with silver and bronze leaves. Flowers are naturally velvety, speckled in shape, resembling elongated bells with a short stem. On one peduncle can be 2-3 flowers. There are several dozen varieties of Colombian beauty pink, orange, purple, brown shades. Not all of them can be grown as indoor plants. Hybrids have added golden, fuchsian, tiger, amethyst, green, and cherry shades to natural colors. Some of them are of particular interest.
It is characterized by an elongated shape of flowers.“Bent off” which is not as noticeable as in other species. Bright red petals are elegant and attractive.
They are effectively combined with the green of velvety leaves. The plant has a low stem (up to 40 cm) and refers to instances of medium size.
Trubkotsvetkovaya koloriya refers to instances of medium
This is a representative of miniature plant species. Its height does not exceed 30 cm. It is supplied with oval fluffy leaves of saturated green color. Bright stripes stand out on them.
Blooms profuse, flowers are small, orange. They look very touching, giving the impression of a continuous bright cap.
Koleriya Koloskovaya - representative of miniature plant species
Flower kolery: features of reproduction and transplantation
Three methods of breeding kaleria are practiced: fission, cuttings, seeds:
- Cultivation with the help of rhizome division is used for mature "Colombian bluebells". Usually they are engaged in the spring. In this case, the plant is removed from the pot along with an earthy ball. Trying not to injure the root system, divide the old copy into several new ones. It is important that each has several shoots and developed roots. New plants, filled with a small layer of earth, are placed in new pots, watered and await new shoots.
- Most of the plants propagated by cuttings. This process has almost no seasonal restrictions. When grafting, several mature apical shoots are cut. Leaves are removed from the bottom. Then process a cut root or other similar drug. After that, they are planted in a moistened mixture of peat and sand. Normal rooting occurs in about a month. When several leaves appear, the tip should be “pinned” in order for the plant to produce side shoots. If it starts to wilt, then it is better to strengthen the bush on the support.
- Seed propagation is quite a laborious process. It is not always possible to achieve a quality result. Young bushes, most likely, will not inherit the best "parent" qualities. This process begins at the end of winter. In this case, the seeds are placed in a moistened soil (sand and peat), without burying. Then they are covered with foil, constantly moistened and aired. After the appearance of sprouts with several leaves, they are relocated into separate containers.
Coleria is growing rapidly and needs annual transplanting.
Patient flower growers practice the breeding of leaves with leaves, which are placed in a glass of water. After some time, they appear roots. Then the plants can be planted in the ground.
A young Colombian beauty grows fast and needs a yearly transplant. This is done in March-April, before it starts budding. The most gentle way is transshipment. At the same time, the shrub with the greatest possible clod of earth is moved to a new pot, and the voids are covered with earth, mixed with small pieces of charcoal. It is important that the color is located on the surface of the earth. Therefore, the capacity should be wide, not deep.
Coleria: home care
When growing kolerii need to know the following rules:
- Choosing a place for a flower, it is better to stay on the east or west windowsill. Beautiful bells love light, but the scorching rays make them burn. Therefore, the bushes living on the south side need to be set aside from the window further. In the north, they will be too dark, and in winter they will have to light up the plants.
- A comfortable temperature for a tropical guest is 25 degrees in summer and less than 20 in winter. Small temperature deviations are acceptable, but not drafts. In the warm season, the beauty is desirable to make a balcony.
- In the spring and summer you need to water the colony at least 2 times a week, in the winter - once every 2 weeks. For this purpose, used soft, warm, distilled water. Ideal - rainwater. It is impossible for it to fall on the flowers and leaves, otherwise they will begin to rot. It is best to alternate normal watering with the bottom, i.e. pouring water into the pan.
- Colombian beauty loves moist air. But she is quite patient with low humidity. Do not just put a flower near the radiators. It is recommended to humidify the air around it with the help of an atomizer, preventing drops on the plant itself. You can also retain moisture using a pebble scattered on a tray with water, where there is a flower. The most reliable way to moisturize - household humidifier.
Choosing a place for kolerii, it is better to stay on the east or west windowsill
- Tropical guest prefers flat land with the addition of a small amount of sand and peat. Half of the first component can be replaced by turf soil. The soil should be light, slightly acid. The bottom of the tank, where it grows, must be filled with drainage. And in the soil, add, well absorbing excess moisture, charcoal.
- Feeding of bushes is carried out only from April to October with a frequency of 2-3 weeks. To do this, apply liquid fertilizer for flowering plants, separating them from the specified in the instruction twice.
- For the best decorativeness of the bush should periodically pinch the tops of the shoots. And in order for the plant not to die, it is necessary to tie it to the support.
- In winter, the plant is hibernating. Its upper part disappears by that time. Therefore, it is advisable to move it to a cool room, do not feed it and hardly water it.
- The enemies of the tropical beauty are powdery mildew and gray mold. Diseased plants are treated with fungicides, before removing the affected leaves. Aphids, spider mites and thrips are disposed of with the help of a soap solution or treatment with aktar, aktellik.
Koleriya likes moist air
The advice of astrologers will also help competently take care of color. They believe that the plant is patronized by the sign of Aries. Therefore:
- Conceived procedures for transplanting, pruning and others should not be delayed in time.
- When removing damaged leaves or stems, it is better to use scissors or a knife, avoiding tearing them with your hands.
- The fire flower loves heat, badly transfers drafts, temperature drops. Even the water for irrigation he needs warm.
- The flower is afraid of change, preferring a permanent place of residence, the same composition of fertilizers.
- В период прохождения Солнца через знак Овна (20 марта – 21 апреля) происходит энергетическая подпитка растения. В это время оно очень уязвимо. Поэтому не следует тревожить колумбийскую красавицу в апреле (переставлять, пересаживать, переставлять и т.п.).
Выращивание колерии (видео)
Грациозная и элегантная разноцветная гостья из южноамериканских тропиков – лучшее украшение дома. Колерия очищает воздух от пыли и вредных примесей. It is not dangerous for allergies, children and pets, so it is appropriate in the kitchen, in the bedroom and children's room. And for taking care of himself he will repay with decorative foliage and rainbow abundance of fluffy bells with unusual specks.
In order not to lose the material, be sure to save it to yourself in the social network Vkontakte, Odnoklassniki, Facebook, simply by clicking on the button below:
The closest relatives of the keneriya are Esquinanthus, Saintpaulia, Ahimenes, Gloxinia. Other less known names of this flowering plant are hisleria, isoloma, tidea. In the people it is also called the “Colombian bells” for the shape of the inflorescences.
Homeland colors are the countries of South America. It is there, in tropical forests, on stony soil and at high humidity that favorable conditions are created for the growth of the range.
A flower is a perennial ornamental plant, which is characterized by the following external features:
- large, oval, opposed pubescent leaves, stems also pubescent,
- flowers in the form of bluebells up to 5 cm long and from 1 to 3 in the inflorescence,
- leaf color: all shades of green, there are also species with leaves of bronze or silver shade,
- bud color: red, pink, purple, from light to dark tones, usually they are decorated with contrasting inclusions, patterns,
- plant height rarely reaches 60 cm,
- on tuberous rhizomes are scales, which are called rhizomes.
The flower was named after its discoverer, a Swiss botanist, science teacher from Switzerland (Zurich), Michael Kohler, who lived in the 19th century.
Coleria Linden (Latin name Kohleria lindeniana)
A miniature plant up to 20-30 cm in height with oval three-centimeter leaves. The leaves of the varieties of this variety are distinguished by a pronounced vein pattern. The upper part of the leaves is dark green with white fibers, and the lower part is slightly lighter with a pinkish tinge. Light purple flowers of this variety reach 6 cm.
For growth and development at home, the flower requires a friable, light, good oxygen and water permeable soil. The soil can be prepared independently. To do this, use: equal parts of sand and peat, 2 parts of turf, a small amount of charcoal and humus (0.25 parts of each). Coal absorbs excess moisture, protecting the roots from rotting. Also worth taking care of the location of drainage in a flower pot.
The plant needs fertilization during the growing season. Use mineral dressing, while you can purchase special formulations for saintpaulia or other decorative indoor plants. In winter, the soil is not fertilized, but you can add biohumus for the active growth of greenery.
It should be borne in mind that such dressings are injected before the appearance of buds
The plant prefers regular watering. Watering plants should be soft water at room temperature. In early spring until autumn, watering should be moderate, but if the topsoil is dry, the amount of water should be increased. In winter, watering is rare, but should not be allowed to dry out the ground.
Methods of breeding kolerii
Colera propagated in the spring in three ways: seeds, division of rhizome and cuttings.
The procedure is carried out in the middle or the end of winter as follows: the substrate is prepared from leafy soil and sand in a 1: 2 ratio. Drainage is laid out in small tanks, covered with this substrate from above. Next, sow the seeds, also sprinkle with the substrate on top, then watered. Capacity covered with glass or film, creating greenhouse conditions. Seeds are stored at a temperature of 20-24C. When sprouts appear, they are transplanted into the same soil, but with a distance of 2 cm between them. After 1.5 months, the plants can be transplanted again with a distance of 3 cm. When the seedlings are strong enough, they are transplanted one by one into separate pots with a diameter of up to 10 cm.
Flower Diseases and Treatments
Coderia is subject to the following problems:
- Brown spots on the leaves. They may appear due to improper watering or stagnation of moisture on the leaves. To get rid of this problem, you need to water the flower with lukewarm water, without touching the leaves.
- Leaves pale or covered with yellow spots. To get rid of this trouble, you need to remove the flower from direct sunlight and reduce the amount of top dressing.
- Gray bloom on the leaves. This is caused by the defeat of the fungus, which can be eliminated by reducing the humidity of the air and soil.
- Twisted leaves. This fact speaks of dried air. To improve the plant, you need to spray the air around it with warm water.
- Sluggish leaves: should add lighting.
Coleria is considered a plant that is resistant to the occurrence of various diseases or the appearance of pests. Usually, both problems are directly related to improper care. For example, in case of excessive watering, koleia can become ill with powdery mildew or root rot.
Pests how to deal with them
Because of the villi on the leaves of a flower, it is difficult for pests to get to the plant pulp. However, sometimes the spider mite, aphid and mealybug attack the colera. For the prevention of attacks of pests need to create optimal conditions for the maintenance of the lot. To combat them you need to use insecticides sold in any specialty store.
Proper care of the plant is in the following steps:
- Fertilizer. Make a special dressing for ornamental plants should be in the period of active flowering, from April to August. It is necessary to fertilize the earth once a week. When the plant “falls asleep” in the winter, there will be no need for fertilizer.
- Spraying In no case can not irrigate the plant itself. If the air in the apartment is too dry, only the surrounding space should be sprayed for the health of the carriage.
- Formation of the crown. To stimulate the growth of lateral stems, a crown is formed by pinching the tops. If you do not, the flower will extend one trunk up.
Form the crown as follows: scissors cut the central stem over 6-8 leaf. Then they do it in the same way with axillary shoots: they cut off the tops above 6-8 or above 3-4 leaves.
- Transfer. After the period of active growth ends, the leaves and stems die off. For the whole winter rhizomes are left in the ground, and the pot is sent to a dry dark storage place at a temperature of about 15 C. In the spring they are transplanted into the composition of leafy, turfy ground, peat and sand, ensuring good drainage.
- In the autumn the plant is preparing for rest. Leaves and stems may begin to wither and dry. In this case, they are cut off, and the rhizome is left in a pot in a cool, dark place until January. If the flower does not fade, it remains green, then it is left in the same place, not cutting and feeding, but simply reducing watering.
- If the plant is affected by a fungus, it should be isolated. The damaged areas are cut off, and the soil is treated with soda solution.
- Immediately after the purchase does not need to feed, transplant and water the plant for two weeks.
- For the cultivation of choices choose wide, not too deep capacity.
- You should not get involved in pinching the shoots of the plant - this postpones the beginning of flowering of the range.
When ensuring the proper care of the plant, the colony will long delight in its flowering. The flower quickly takes root, does not need to create special conditions for growth and reproduction, therefore, will be the best option for inexperienced florist.