How did the safari style come about? In the beginning-middle of the last century, many countries expanded due to colonization, that is, the capture of new territories. And so, the French and the British reached wild and wild Africa. Travelers, who set foot on the lands of Africa for the first time, understood that the climate of this place does not dispose of clothes that are familiar to many.
And many have decided to update their wardrobe. Rich people ordered comfortable and practical suits of muffled tones from seamstresses. In such clothes, firstly, it was convenient to move, and secondly, it was much safer to be in the jungle (some animals react violently to bright colors).
But why such a name? In fact, it was borrowed from Swahili. And the word it meant "journey." But later, people began to call it not so much trekking and walking in the wilderness, as hunting for animals. And all the hunters dressed about the same, so the style and got the name.
It is noteworthy that initially only men put on comfortable shirts and trousers, but then women began to take a great interest in hunting, so they needed to sew something comfortable and beautiful at the same time (women should remain women in any situation).
The safari style was periodically viewed in fashion collections, but the peak of relevance and popularity came just in the spring and summer of 2014. So take on board everything that we look at next, be in trend!
This style involves muted, calm, almost natural colors. Often used mustard, sand, beige, yellow, brown, white, khaki, ivory. Such tones are especially relevant in the hot season, as they practically reflect the color. Therefore, this style for summer is just perfect.
Patterns are also welcome. Animalistic prints (leopard, tiger, snake, zebra), as well as ethnic motifs, floral patterns and monochrome drawings are relevant and relevant.
But do not overdo it, remember the restraint and simplicity of style.
Fabrics and materials
Safari is natural and close to nature. Therefore, the fabric is mainly used natural. The most common are cotton, linen, natural leather and suede. Such materials pass air and allow the skin to breathe, and also perfectly evaporate moisture. Practical and convenient, anyway.
Since it was necessary to walk a lot in the jungle (sometimes along such wilds, in which the human foot had never walked before), the shoes simply could not be uncomfortable. Comfort is the most important thing. So what about tankettes, platforms and heels had to forget. You can afford sandals on a completely flat sole with a lot of straps.
Also relevant are laced boots, similar to those worn by American soldiers. But today's girls still do not present themselves without heels, so experiment and break the rules. For example, buy sandals with a steady heel. The studs will definitely not fit, but the platform can be very appropriate.
Accessories allow you to revive the image and add some piquancy. Here is what is relevant and relevant:
- Large bags over the shoulder. They can be made of suede, leather or textile. Important is the exposure of characteristic tones, as well as the abundance of such details as belts, wooden beads, locks, and so on.
- Hats with large brim. Small straw hats are also relevant, as well as fabric panama. But without a headdress can not do. Do not like hats? Tie a scarf over your head.
- Belts are welcome, especially leather and fairly wide. Relevant will be weighty badges.
- Do you like jewelry? That's right, in safari style, they too. It can be wooden beads or bracelets, pendants on leather laces, made in the form of a tiger's canine or other African attribute. Long hanging earrings are welcome. All jewelry should be low-key and similar to home-made.
- Be sure to wear a watch on a wide strap with a large dial.
- Be sure to buy horn-rimmed sunglasses with an animal pattern or a muted color.
Free and not constraining movements styles are welcomed. Clear lines are relevant, asymmetry is very rare here. But sophisticated people can sleep peacefully: fitted silhouettes are also in trend. A distinctive feature of the style - light negligence. So if you forgot to stroke your shirt, then it is even better.
Clothing safari style suggests an abundance of all sorts of simple, but sometimes bold details. For example, almost no thing does without pockets, and they should be voluminous and numerous. All kinds of shoulder straps, valves, straps, laces are also welcome. Sleeves of clothing in this style often end cuffs.
Often there are stand-up collars. Belts on the belt are also relevant and are often a bright accent set. And you will see many large buttons, zippers, rivets, drawstrings. Initially, all this was envisaged only for the sake of convenience and functionality, but today all these important little things complement the image and enliven it.
What should go into your wardrobe? Here are a few basic things:
- Dress safari - this is perhaps the most important component of the wardrobe. The styles may vary in length and hem, but the three required details of this dress are short sleeves with cuffs, a waist strap and a stand-up collar. Many models are also equipped with chest pockets.
- Dress shirts fit perfectly too. They are similar to the previous version, but more free.
- Also relevant recently were long dresses in the floor of a free cut with animalistic patterns.
- Trousers can be narrow or loose in the hips (the so-called cut breeches) or along the entire length (hiking pants). The optimal length is up to the ankle.
- Actual breeches below the knee with patch pockets.
- Be sure to get a few shirts. Do not forget about pockets and cuffs, all this should be present.
- Jacket. It is believed that this piece of clothing became popular precisely because of the safari style.
- Suit and free-cut jumpsuit with a strap at the waist and chest pockets.
- For the summer, be sure to get short loose shorts with cuffs and pockets.
- You can also buy a safari jacket with pockets and a belt at the waist.
- Skirts are rare, but may also be present. These are either straight knee length models or lower, or long flared ones. The presence of pockets, buttons and belts is desirable.
Now you know the features of this style. So go shopping, arrange safaris and upgrade your wardrobe!
The history of safari style in clothes
Initially, safari clothing style was worn exclusively by travelers from high levels of society, since such clothing was rather expensive, and not everyone could afford it. But in the 60s of the last century, safari style burst into great fashion. We are obliged to this great couturier Yves Saint Laurent. It was he who decided that women from all over the world should not deny themselves the comfort that safari style provides, and at the same time the elegance and exoticism of this style. Women of fashion did not argue and gladly accepted this innovation, giving the safari style due.
Today, safari style is often found in the spring-summer collections of world designers. He is loved by women for their laconic grace and exoticism. And while traveling, he, however, will not replace.
Safari ... a little history
At the beginning of the last century, traveling to Africa became a popular entertainment for Europeans. This continent can not boast of other attractions, except for hunting for animals, which is called "safari". And, of course, the climatic conditions required special clothing - light, breathable, practical, comfortable.
The color scheme is also subordinated to extremely practical purposes. To store the necessary trifles necessary for the journey, you need a lot of zipper pockets, a belt with a compartment for rifle cartridges, and a convenient backpack bag. All this was present earlier in the clothes of hunters.
Gradually, this style of hunters or travelers entered the life of the inhabitants of the “urban jungle” and acquired its own distinctive features.
Features safari style
Like any style, safari has features distinguishing it from other destinations.
- Natural materials. For the manufacture of clothing used only "breathing", but thick fabrics - cotton, linen, and leather is suitable for accessories.
- Colors. All shades of the African savanna (brown, sand, beige, white, gray) make it easier to endure strong heat.
- Finish In safari-style clothing there are many elements of military uniforms - shoulder straps, valves, wide belts, patch pockets, zippers, stand-up collars.
- Easy negligence. Even slight dented clothes, casually rolled up sleeves are permissible.
- Military accessories. Shoulder bags, knapsacks, high-low boots are part of the image in a safari. This combines it with the military style (for more information, see http://www.modniy-style.ru/uroki-stilya/odezhda-v-stile-militari.html).
Today, safari is becoming increasingly feminine and soft. The strict militarized style is complemented by wedge or heel shoes and lace. The color range is expanding, it is allowed to use yellow, orange shades. The images are wedged in elements of sports and ethnic styles. Clothing in this style today is suitable even for a business image.
The following elements will help you create a safari style image:
- dress or overalls with patch pockets that will emphasize the elegance of the figure,
- shirts, jackets, pants with the same patch pockets, zippers, large buttons,
- outerwear - jackets, raincoats made of waterproof windproof fabric,
- safari style pants that easily transform into breeches or even shorts with lapels,
- skirts - before that, she was only about maxi or midi length, but today designers do not refuse mini,
- low-heeled leather shoes: boots, moccasins, sandals, sandals,
- hats, better wide-brimmed: it is practical and elegant, caps with wide peaks, hats resembling cork helmets of African hunters,
- accessories - leather belts, bracelets made of leather, rope, wooden beads. Oversized sunglasses complete the look. There should not be a lot of jewelery, safari style does not like an excessive amount of accessories.
Safari fashion trends
This season's floral prints depicting African palm trees or flowers are decorated with shirts, pants, and outerwear. In a coat with an image of jungle vegetation, you will feel the approach of summer much earlier than others.
This year animal colors will be in fashion: black and white stripes of zebra will look original on a dress or coat.
Other unusual and intricate prints on the dress will create an original evening look. Complement it with heeled sandals and head to the beach party.
This year used leather items. Leather jackets and vests are not only practical, but also look spectacular.
Shirts of typical safari style, buttoned to the last button, can be combined with romantic maxi skirts, and you can add an image with a hairstyle of feminine curls.
In a fashionable image in the style of safari, an indispensable accessory should be a hat, combined with a scarf.
The most practical summer shoes are woven sandals with thin straps, which favorably emphasize the beauty of fingers and bright pedicure.
Make-up should be discreet, but to complement the created image.
And in safari style clothes you will feel comfortable and comfortable at work, traveling, on vacation. In addition, the safari looks attractive, despite the paramilitary items of clothing.
Source of style
The term "safari" came to us from the Arabic language. It means travel. From the very beginning, this word was called travel to various regions of East Africa for the purpose of hunting.
However, more recently, the meaning of the word has changed somewhat and means entertaining rides on off-road vehicles for viewing, photographing and filming wild African animals. Therefore, the main elements with the help of which safari-style is created in the dwelling are the objects of culture and life of African tribes, as well as prints with imitation of the skins of various exotic animals.
The main motives
It should be noted that safari has a lot in common with the African, colonial, as well as ecological style, because contains multiple elements available in the styles mentioned. However, the most striking feature of the safari is the widespread placement of motifs of the animal world. And this is justified, because safari involves hunting or the usual observation of representatives of the fauna of Africa.
Wall and floor decoration
In a particular case, the repair may not touch the walls. It is quite suitable their original appearance. An excellent basis for creating a design safari in the interior is a plaster with light cracks, covered with ocher and terracotta customary to African motifs. Although it is possible to leave the existing wall covering and milky white. The result is an imitation of limestone coating of walls in hot regions. Wallpapers in a house with a safari style as the dominant design will be inappropriate. You can only use eco-wallpapers made from natural fibers for the placement of some visual accents.
In the case of floors, the interior in the style of safari provides completely opposite methods. A wide floorboard in dark colors will look very impressive. It can be tinted under a bog oak or wenge. It can also be made in the style of bleached oak. It will be appropriate to look at the floor, covered with a cork, and rugs from matting. Do not spoil the authenticity in the interior and ceramic granite coating or a completely stone floor.
To complete the decor of the floor, you can throw on it a bamboo mat, a carpet with an interesting and intricate ornament, an artificial skin.
Safari Room Windows
On the windows you can hang roller blinds made of straw, or long unpainted (or white) tulle, which will flutter in the wind. The result is an imitation of a mosquito net - one of the fundamental elements of the safari style. Such a design is immediately associated with a hot African noon.
In order for the room in the safari style to look as authentic as possible, you can use the same colors as in the African style in the interior. It is better to turn to the warm colors of the shroud and the majestic deserts, as well as the scorching sun of this continent.
To design as close as possible to the African direction, it is better to use fiery red, rich yellow tones, as well as chocolate and terracotta, but with deep black accents. It is very important to use natural shades in the interior. It can be gamma from sandy to dark brown. It will contrast with the bright and varied colors of textiles.
Animal prints and photos
A room in which the design is observed in accordance with the style of the safari should fully convey the atmosphere of hunting, traveling across the expanses of the African continent. Animal prints, as well as photos, are the characteristic elements without which a design consistent with the safari philosophy is impossible. You can use any animal colors: cheetah, and zebra, and jaguar, and giraffe, and crocodile. Prints of tiger or cow hides are used less often. Photos of animals on the walls will also be appropriate.
Furniture design for safari style
Safari-interior can be supplemented by hand-made furniture. The furniture from valuable African breeds of a tree is pertinent: a black rosewood, mahogany, a sandal-wood and so forth. The design of a wicker furniture from a bamboo or a rattan looks effectively. It will fit into this interior forged or metal furniture. Animal motifs are welcome in the design of pens, armrests and other elements.
The safari interior can be supplemented with a photo in the form of drawings of African tribes, pottery, having a corresponding design, a drum there and there, etc. To revive the interior, you can plant palm trees.