Coloring allows you to quickly update the look. It is convenient and safe if quality products are used. In the salons of beauty will perform ombra, balayazh, shatush and many other types. Sophisticated technicians can only be done by professional craftsmen; you should not try to repeat them yourself. But still simple staining is allowed. How to dye long hair at home, described in the article.
Rules of choice
Before you get acquainted with how to dye long hair at home, you must choose a paint. There are persistent products based on ammonia, which do not wash off until 2 months. Also produced semi-permanent dyes, from which a rich bright color is obtained up to 4-6 weeks. For lovers experimenting with looks fit tonic. It is washed off after 6-8 procedures.
Another important point is the choice of an oxidizing agent that affects the clarification. It is standard in mass-market media and is sold in a set with other components. If you choose such products, then the shade may not be the same as shown in the picture. Information about the difference in tones manufacturer indicates in the instructions.
Professional products (“Matrix”, “Igora”, “Kapus”) are produced separately dyes and developers. You can choose the following oxides:
- 1,5–3% - coloring in tone,
- 6% - clarification on 2 tones,
- 9% - clarification by 3-4 tones,
- 12% - the maximum clarification.
For home, you should not choose oxidants more than 6%. They adversely affect the hair, and if you do not observe at least one rule, you can damage the curls. You should choose the oxide of the same company and series as the paint to get the desired color.
In the salons, experts mix mixed-interest developers of the same brand to form new tones, but this should not be done independently. For a house, one should choose sparing paints from trusted companies, and strictly follow the recommendations of specialists.
What is necessary?
How to dye your hair at home? First you need to prepare the necessary inventory. For long curls, there is not enough 1 tube of paint; it is advisable to choose 2 if you want to paint over the entire length. To refresh the roots, you need 1 pack.
In addition to the classic set, including an oxidizing agent and a pigment, you will need:
- Containers made of plastic, glass or porcelain. It is necessary for the breeding of paint. You should not choose metal objects, because it can get an unpredictable result.
- Paint brushes. It is advisable to choose a professional.
- Wood or plastic scallop with rare teeth.
- Hair Clips.
- Polyethylene or rubber gloves.
- Capes on the shoulders.
- Vaseline or fat skin cream.
This list is required when choosing any paint. When everything is prepared for the procedure, you can perform staining at home.
How to dye long hair at home? Preparation is a must. Hair should not be washed before coloring 1-2 days. This is required for the appearance of a protective film on the strands and scalp. It will not allow the negative effects of chemicals. You should also familiarize yourself with the instructions, which indicate the exposure time and proportions in which the oxide is mixed with the dye.
You need to comb your hair, it should be smooth. To obtain a saturated color, you need to sprinkle a little with water, but not completely wet them, otherwise the pigment will not be taken. A cream or petroleum jelly is applied to the skin along the hairline, because it is easier to wash off the dye. Wear gloves and a cape.
How to dye hair paint at home? It is necessary to conduct a primary staining. It is important to take into account the nuances: the tips of long hair are lighter in comparison with the middle and the roots. They are treated with a conditioner to slow down the embedding of the pigment, so the tone will be evenly distributed. Then you can dilute the dye according to the instructions, then - perform the procedure.
- Hair should be divided into 4 parts. For this, the parting is performed from the middle of the forehead to the middle of the occiput, and from one ear to the other. Strands fasten clips.
- The composition is applied from the back of the head, moving from the roots to the tips. Then you can handle the darkness, then whiskey.
- The remains of the paint are massaged to the roots and comb through the curls along the entire length with fingers, and then with a comb with fine teeth.
- The dye must be kept as much time as indicated in the instructions. If the composition is washed off earlier, the pigment appears unevenly. If you extend the time, the hair will deteriorate from the chemical composition.
- Paint should be washed off with a special shampoo.
- On the strands cause air conditioning, which is attached. If not, then apply a special tool for colored curls.
- Hair should dry naturally.
How to dye hair strands at home correctly? Requires secondary staining. By the time it takes as much as the primary. The difference lies in the fact that to maintain the tool most of the time is required on the roots.
If you constantly process the strands over the entire length, then gradually they lose their elasticity and elasticity, they will be dull. Preparation for painting is performed in the standard way. How to dye your hair at home? The composition is applied only to the roots, but it is not necessary to affect previously treated places. It is kept according to the instructions, but 5-7 minutes before rinsing it is necessary to carefully comb the strands from the roots along the entire length. This will smooth the transition.
After the procedure, the hair is treated with a balm and dried without a hair dryer. If you want to paint over gray hair, the exposure time is extended by 10 minutes. But this rule should not be applied with professional dyes that are designed for gray hair. This instruction also applies in cases where you are interested in how to dye hair roots at home.
Before staining you need to make sure that the procedure is enough endurance and patience. Perform the procedure without assistance is not easy, as professionals believe. How to dye long hair at home to get a great result? Apply the composition quickly to the pigment is evenly distributed along the entire length. Otherwise, instead of a uniform color will be unsightly spots.
Long strands can be painted by those who have experience in this. If this is done for the first time, it is advisable to contact the salon. Stylists are advised to follow simple rules.
- Use only high quality and certified paints.
- You should not use funds with expired shelf life, because they damage the strands, give an ugly shade.
- You should not mix shades yourself in the absence of experience in this work.
- You can not use 1 tube after opening, even if it is left from the previous procedure, because chemicals react with air.
- Required testing for allergies. To do this, the composition is applied to a small place behind the ear. If there are no negative reactions, you can perform the procedure.
- Do not use heat unless indicated in the instructions. Many modern dyes are aged in the open air, which protects against hair tramming.
- You can not paint the weak and damaged strands. Before that, they need to be restored.
- It is not necessary to combine the coloring with the perm, it damages the hair.
How to dye dark hair at home? This procedure is performed according to the standard rules specified in the article. The main thing is to choose the right shade and high-quality paint.
The above rules are how to dye long hair at home for a great result. But with independent work, the result is not always the way it wants. Some people quickly wash out and tarnish, while others severely damage their hair. These negative points can really happen. It all depends on the dye and the procedure of its application.
Equally important is proper care. Colored hair needs special attention, so it is important to follow the recommendations.
- It is necessary to use only special shampoos and balms for colored strands. They consist of the optimal amount of nutrients and moisturizers. Even they have components that protect against loss of bright color.
- It is necessary to regularly use nutritional masks, which can be store-and home-made.
- Hair must be protected from UV rays and cold. To do this, use special tools. You should also wear suitable hats.
- It is important to regularly cut split ends, so that damage is not spread along the entire length.
- Do not go to the pool, as chlorinated water can change the pigment.
- It is necessary to reduce the use of hair dryers, irons and curling irons. If they are used, but need thermal protection.
- Coloring can be done no more than 1 time per month, otherwise the hair is injured.
Homemade coloring of long hair is a complicated procedure. It is important not only to update their color, but also to preserve the health of curls and scalp. To exclude harm, it is better to use sparing dyes and oxidizing agents with a low percentage. Perfect henna and basma. It is also important to follow the instructions. And after staining is important to follow the rules of care.
To refresh the hair roots at home without the help of a professional, you need to stock up with everything you need:
- to secure the strands with clips or pins,
- comb-comb to divide the hair into zones
- plastic bowl for the preparation of coloring composition,
- brush to put on the strands,
- hair dye with a suitable shade,
- oxidizer for paint,
- gloves and a cape to protect the skin and clothing.
If all this is, then you can get down to business.
Home dyeing process
It should be started in advance with an allergy test, by applying a small amount of the product to the skin, even when using a dye that was previously used successfully. In the presence of discomfort, itching, with burning, it is recommended not to use the product.
In order to achieve a uniform color, hairdressers are advised to choose a paint for the roots similar to that in which the main strands are painted, and ideally the same manufacturer and color. The product is always accompanied by instructions, the following of which is mandatory, especially in terms of maintaining the composition.
Next, you need to prepare a mixture of paint and oxidant in a ceramic or plastic container. Metal utensils are not used, since when metal and paint enter into a reaction, the tone may become unrecognizable and frustrating. Then comb the hair, cover the shoulders with a prepared cape to protect against the composition, wear disposable gloves.
The procedure itself consists of the following steps:
- At the first stage, all hairs are divided into four parts using three partings. One (middle) divides the strands into two zones, the other two (the crown of the ears) separate the existing ones in half. Hair on the received zones is twisted into bundles and fixed with pin-clips.
- On the second, the roots on all the partings are carefully stained with the composition, including the parotid zones and above the neck. When the dye gets on the skin, it is immediately removed with a cotton swab.
- At the third stage, they begin to dye each harness. They are in turn dismissed, divided into small strands, carefully painting over the roots. The process is the same for all zones.
The composition is kept for the time allotted in the instructions and washed off with shampoo with warm water, and at the end of the procedure, the hair must be treated with a special balm included in the set.
Important nuances of the process
We are all different - blondes, brown-haired, brunettes, red, so we have different roots in color. The technique of painting the roots of dark color has its own characteristics, and to avoid obtaining poor-quality results follow the advice of professionals:
- Give preference to a professional, high-quality paint and a 9% oxidizer, because a 12% or cheap aggressive substance may, after some time of regular use, cause significant damage to the scalp, up to baldness,
- use shading shampoo instead of the usual, or periodically tinting mask, balm,
- with dark, poorly lightened roots, it is better to resort to complex staining such as ombre, sombre, brondirovaniya, highlighting.
There are nuances in the staining of light roots at home. This, above all, getting a green shade. Avoiding trouble can be subject to the following rules:
- to successfully paint the light roots, take a shade darker than the base color,
- You can mix the paint with a 3% oxide, apply it to the roots, and after half an hour add 6% or 9% to the paint to dye the remaining hair length, and hold for ten minutes,
- there is a prewash technique, in which darker ends are brightened to maintain a uniform hairstyle color.
Recommendations of specialists
How to achieve the ideal and avoid an unpleasant surprise when home coloring hair roots:
- Strictly observe the coloring time, which is indicated on the product, as it may differ from different manufacturers, but ranges from ten to twenty minutes maximum. When overexposing the coloring composition can damage the scalp and even get a skin burn. With a dark initial tone of hair, it is applied for a longer period, and with a light one - at a minimum.
- Be sure to use non-metallic dishes and a comb, avoiding the reaction of metal with paint, which can lead to unpredictable color hairstyles. For the same reason, never add other ingredients such as shampoo or balm to the composition indicated by the manufacturer.
- Do not store the prepared composition, but use immediately after preparation.
- Hair should be dry so that the dye is better absorbed and the effectiveness of the color does not decrease. Many experts recommend applying the tool on dirty strands. High-quality brush will better distribute the composition for a uniform color, so you should not save on it.
- It is recommended to rinse off the product with warm water rather than hot in order to preserve the pigment. And do not use shampoos for shampoos that have deep cleansing properties and contribute to its washing out.
- When using durable paint, do not wash your hair for two or three days before the procedure, and when applying a shampoo with a delicate shampoo, clean strands are required. Do not apply styling products in the form of gels, foams or varnishes before the procedure, which will reduce the absorption of paint in hair.
- Only dyed paint, in contrast to the shading of the shampoos and semi-permanent can give the desired result, so give preference to it.
- Set aside for a while the use of deep repairing masks after dyeing, so as not to wash off the coloring agent. Give it a good penetration into the hair structure within two weeks. These special restrictions for colored hair do not apply.
- If you constantly dye your hair, then get specialized cosmetics - shampoos, masks and balms for colored hair, created to restore and preserve color.
- If the result is unsatisfactory, wait two weeks in order not to injure the hair further, and then proceed to correct errors.
- With a slight difference of the roots from the main hair color, it is advised to use ammonia-free products that are less traumatic for the hair structure.
Contraindications to the procedure
It is better to refuse to paint the roots for a while if you have:
- cold, fever,
- there are abrasions, scratches, sores or skin diseases, as the paint can cause additional irritation with discomfort,
- the hair has recently undergone a perm or lamination, therefore it is weak and needs to be repaired,
- state of pregnancy or breastfeeding period of the baby.
It happens that the circumstances do not allow a woman to change her hair color, and the roots look unattractive and require urgent measures in order to have an attractive look.
But a real woman will always find a way out! Will select a successful haircut, pre-make complex staining like sombre or ombre, or masking styling, use tinting agents or original headgear, create additional volume. It’s so easy to be beautiful - you just have to want it!
On average, hair roots grow from 5 to 15 mm per month, which is quite significant. Especially noticeable color transition on the curls, which are much lighter or darker than the natural hue. Некоторым девушкам приходится краситься раз в 2–3 недели, что не может не отразиться на общем состоянии шевелюры. Поэтому парикмахеры настоятельно рекомендуют в промежутках между покраской усиленно ухаживать за шевелюрой.
- Использовать шампунь без сульфатов.
- 1-2 times a week to apply nourishing masks.
- After each shampooing, moisten the ends of the hair with oil or liquid crystals.
- It is desirable to make lamination. Thanks to the procedure, the paint will last longer, the hair will get a beautiful shine (which is especially important for gray-haired strands).
It is also recommended to test the paint each time, even if it is not used for the first time. The fact is that the manufacturer can at any time change the composition, and the new component will cause allergies. Usually the test is carried out on the elbow bend, because the skin in this place has a heightened sensitivity. It should be borne in mind that the reaction may not occur immediately, but within 48 hours, so testing should be carried out 2 days before staining. If everything is normal, itching and rashes are absent, you should proceed to the preparation of the tool.
You will need:
- home clothes that you don't mind if you get dirty
- waterproof cape or old towel,
- brush with a pointed handle (very convenient to separate the strands),
- plastic or glass paint bowl,
- plastic hair clips,
- latex gloves
- spray gun
If the roots differ from the main hair color by 2 or less tones, use a paint without ammonia, it will save hair.
Contraindications to root staining
At the confluence of adverse factors, the color of the roots after dyeing can be very different from the main length. To avoid this, experienced hairdressers recommend to refrain from the procedure (especially if it is carried out at home) in the following situations.
- Menstruation, pregnancy, the first 3 months of breastfeeding. During this period, a woman's hormones, metabolism and thermoregulation change, so the result of staining can be quite unpredictable.
- Fever, illness. Again, due to impaired thermoregulation, a chemical reaction during dyeing can lead to uneven or distorted hair color.
- Damage to the skin of the head, allergies. With this, it is better not to risk it, even if the staining goes well, then surely it will take long-term treatment.
- A recent perm, poor hair condition. Before painting, the hair must regain its strength, so after a perm it should take at least 2 weeks.
Sometimes, due to the circumstances, a woman does not dye her hair for a long time. And then the problem of regrown roots is particularly acute. What to do in this case? After all, you always want to look at all 100%.
The following few rules will help regrown roots to become less noticeable.
- Pick the right haircut. Multi-tiered and bangs will help to create additional volume, and due to the raised roots, the transition will be less conspicuous.
- Stop the choice on complex staining (ombra, sombre, brondirovanie, etc.). Special technique provides a smooth transition between natural and desired hair color. In this case, the roots can be painted 1 time in 2-3 months, but for gray-haired women this option is unacceptable.
- Do not do horsetail. With this hairstyle, even slightly regrown roots are very noticeable.
- Create extra shine with a special serum. The reflected light perfectly masks a slight color transition.
- Putting your hair. Large curls hide unpainted roots.
- Use tint balms or shampoos. If you regularly use tinting agents, you can dye your hair less often.
- Tie a kerchief on your head beautifully, make a turban or put on a hat. The main thing - to look harmoniously in general.
If the regrown roots cannot be painted at the moment, create additional volume. This will help to hide the border at the time.
Nuances of coloring hair roots
If the natural hair color differs by 2 or more tones from the desired one, then the technique of dyeing the roots changes somewhat. In such cases, painting in the usual way at home often does not give the desired result. However, if you cannot turn to a professional at the moment, we advise you to take into account the important nuances of staining dark, light and gray roots.
The more gray hair a woman has, the harder it is to paint them. Paint molecules are easily washed out, the color becomes faded and does not hide gray hair. There are several ways to solve the problem.
- Use special dyes for gray hair.
- If the dye is regular, then it should be mixed with the base tone in the ratio of 1 to 1 or 1 to 3 (depending on the amount of gray hair). For example, a chestnut (5/0) is suitable for a shade of 6/7. It is also necessary to add 6% oxide.
- In a particularly difficult case with 100% gray hair, a pre-pigmentation will help ensure a uniform opaque color. To do this, before painting, a micestone or a natural dye is applied to the roots (1 tint lighter than the desired shade), diluted with water in a ratio of 1 to 2. After 10 minutes, the agent must be distributed along the length. After another 5 minutes, an additional mixture of paint and 3% oxidizer should be applied to the roots. After 10 minutes, distribute along the length, after another 5 wash off. The next day, the roots can be painted in the usual way.
The technique of dyeing dark roots is simpler, but even here there is a risk of getting a yellow tint. To avoid this, use the following tips.
- Use only professional, high-quality paint and 9% oxidizer. If 12% oxide or a cheap aggressive dye are used for dyeing the roots, in a few months you can simply lose the hair.
- Replace the usual shampoo tint or periodically apply a tinting mask, balsam.
- If the roots are too dark and poorly lightening, then as an option you should consider complex staining - ombré, sombre, brondirovanie or highlighting.
Coloring the bright roots at home can result in green hair. The following rules will help to avoid this.
- The easiest way to color light roots is to take a shade darker than the base color.
- Another method involves mixing paint before applying to light roots with 3% oxide. After 30 minutes, add 6% or 9% oxidant to the same color and apply 10 minutes to the remaining length.
- The next technique is a prewash. This method will help lighten darker ends and provide a uniform color after dyeing.
It is quite simple to dye hair roots at home. Difficulties can arise only if the curls are much darker or lighter than the desired color. In these cases, a special technique is applied, which is best owned by a professional. Therefore, if there is no opportunity to paint regularly in the salon, the girl should choose a different shade or a complex type of coloring.
Grown roots, contrasting with the color of the rest of the hair, make the look untidy and sloppy. Fortunately, you can fix it at home.
Even girls who prefer to dye their hair in the salons may be faced with the need to tint the roots of the house. There is not always time and opportunity to sign up for this procedure to a professional hairdresser, but it should be done regularly. Grown roots, contrasting with the color of the rest of the hair, make the look untidy and sloppy. Fortunately, to fix this nuance is simple and at home.
Items needed when coloring the roots of the house
If you decide to tint the hair roots yourself, make sure that you have everything you need:
- clips or hairpins to fasten strands,
- comb comb to separate the strands,
- plastic bowl for mixing paint and oxidant,
- paint brush
- hair dye of the desired shade
- oxidizer for paint.
The process of dyeing hair roots at home
Before staining, test for an allergic reaction, even if you use the same paint as last time. To do this, two days before dyeing, apply paint on a small area of skin. If there are discomfort, itching or burning, it is better not to use this paint.
To obtain a uniform effect, it is better to choose a dye of the same company that was used to dye the main part of the hair.
Prepare for staining. To do this, mix the paint and oxidant, comb your hair, cover your shoulders with a towel so that the paint does not get on your skin and clothes, put on disposable gloves.
Now you can proceed directly to the process of staining.
- Divide hair into several parts. It is convenient to divide them into four zones: make one parting in the middle of the head and two more from the crown to the ears.
- The resulting large strands roll into bundles and secure with clips.
- Paint over the hair roots along the long parting. Then paint the side partings.
- Do not forget to paint over the area near the ears.
- If the ink gets on the skin, immediately remove it with a cotton swab.
- Dissolve one of the strands and, dividing it into thinner strands, carefully paint over the hair roots. Also deal with the rest of the strands.
- Keep the paint on the hair for the allotted time (specified in the instructions).
- Then rinse with warm water and shampoo.
- At the end of the painting do not forget to apply a special balm, which is attached to the paint.
Contraindications to the coloring of the roots
It is necessary to postpone the painting of the roots when:
- Fever, cold. In addition to the obvious inconvenience of dyeing hair in a painful, weakened state, this can lead to an incorrect final color.
- In the presence of abrasions, scratches, wounds or skin diseases. Paint in this case will cause additional irritation and discomfort.
- Recently conducted perm or lamination. After such procedures, the hair should be restored.
- It is not recommended to dye hair during pregnancy or during lactation.
Tips for coloring hair roots at home
To achieve the desired result and not find an unpleasant surprise in the mirror, do not overdo the hair dye on the roots. You can severely damage your hair and even burn the scalp.
Be sure to dilute the paint in non-metallic utensils. Metal can react with paint and this will lead to unpleasant consequences. For the same reason, you should not use a metal comb during dyeing. You can not add to the paint extraneous ingredients, shampoo and balsam. The resulting color will be unpredictable. Apply paint to your hair immediately, without waiting.
Apply the paint only on dry hair. Although wet strands are easier to separate, they absorb paint less easily, with the result that the effect of dyeing is reduced. Choose a quality paint brush. A hard brush will not color the strands badly, and as a result you will get an uneven color.
Paint should not be rinsed with hot water. It can wash away most of the pigment and significantly reduce the effect of staining. It is preferable to wash off the paint with warm, comfortable temperature with water. Do not use dandruff shampoos. They have very deep cleansing properties and are able to wash out the pigment.
If you use resistant paint, it is recommended not to wash your hair for 2-3 days before dyeing. But the hair should be clean if you are using a tinted shampoo. It is better to use a resistant paint: tinted shampoos and semi-permanents may not give the desired effect. Before staining, you also can not use styling tools. If the hair remains gel, foam or varnish for styling, it will prevent paint to soak into the hair.
Immediately after dyeing, it is not necessary to use deep regenerating masks. Such funds can wash away the paint that did not have time to "grab". Hair treatment with masks should start 2 weeks after dyeing. Special products for colored hair can be applied the same day after dyeing the hair roots.
After dyeing, use special shampoos, masks and balms for colored hair. They will restore hair and retain color in all its glory.
If you are not satisfied with the result, do not rush to repaint the roots. It will severely damage the hair. Suffer at least 2 weeks, and then try to color the roots again, to the desired effect.
Remember the cumulative effect of paint. Because of him, over time, hair becomes dimmer. To reduce this effect, you need to use special tools. Their selection is individual, a professional stylist can help here.
If the roots differ in color from the rest of the hair mass by no more than 1-2 tones, you can use a harmless dye without ammonia. If the roots are darker than the rest of the hair, it is easier to dye them, but there is a risk of getting an unpleasant yellowish tint. To avoid this, it is necessary, firstly, to use high-quality paint and 9% oxidizer. Secondly, it is useful to use tinted shampoo, which will help to correct the color. If the roots are lighter and need to be dyed in a darker shade, it is better to take the dye a shade darker than the main part of the hair.
Before dyeing the hair roots, it is important to consider the following factors:
- The amount of gray hair.
- The structure of the hair.
- Dye color and your natural hair color.
If a you earlierused for coloring hair natural dyes - basmu or hennathen do not switch to chemical dyes, since you cannot achieve a similar color with their help.
The sequence of painting regrown hair roots
To dye hair roots need to cook:
- polyethylene gloves,
- stiff bristle brush
- plastic or ceramic container
- cotton pads,
- nutritious cream,
- oilcloth cover
- clips for hair.
Root staining is a must-have procedure for women with colored strands. The growth rate of hair is different for everyone, but sooner or later the treacherous hair at the roots still appears, and in order not to spoil the external image, it is necessary to tint it regularly. Of course, you can entrust the procedure of painting the roots to professionals, that is, simply contact the beauty salon, but it is important to know that, in order to save, it is allowed to paint the roots at home.
In order to properly conduct the procedure of staining the roots of the strands, it is necessary to know and accurately follow certain points of important recommendations:
- For 2 days before the planned staining is required to hold tes on an allergic reaction. To do this, stir the paint, which will be used later, and apply a small amount to the elbow bend of the hand. If within 2 days there is no change on the skin, then you can safely use this type of paint for dyeing regrown strands.
- Grown strands are recommended to paint with a paint of a third degree of durability, since the tint dyes simply cannot cope with the task entrusted to them. If the hair is “covered” with gray hair and grown at the roots, then only highly resistant dye can paint it.
- It is better not to use low-quality and cheap options for paints, because they contain a large amount of ammonia, which can irritate the eye mucosa, and also negatively affects the condition of the hair and, of course, the scalp.
- Pregnant expectant mothers, as well as ladies in the period of lactation, it is strictly forbidden to paint the grown-up rows with ammonia paints.
- Since regrown strands always differ in color from the main volume of hair, it is important to carefully follow the recommended dyeing time, which is required to be written in the instructions attached to the coloring composition.
- Before applying the coloring composition from the surface of the strands is required to remove all styling tools. It is not necessary to wash your hair before dyeing, especially for dry types of hair.
- It is possible to self-paint the regrown roots, but the main problem of such a procedure is the possible staining of the skin around the hair. To avoid such trouble, it is necessary to smear the skin around the temples, ears, forehead, and neck with any fat cream before staining.
- Even if the curls grow very quickly, it is not recommended to dye the roots of the strands more often than once every three weeks.
Choose a coloring agent
If the past dyeing strands was carried out in a beauty salon, then the master can ask about the number and tone of the type of dye. If it is not possible to find out, it is recommended to adhere to the following requirements:
- For painting gray hair is ideal to choose highly resistant coloring agents.
- Owners of any type of hair should choose a paint that contains oils, fortified compounds, proteins.
- When conducting self-staining experiments are not welcome, because you can get a completely unexpected result. It is correct to choose such a shade of coloring agent, which will differ by no more than two or three tones from the original color.
- The amount of paint must be selected in accordance with the length of the curls. If the strands are long, then 2 and 3 packs of dye composition may be required. На короткие локоны, а также пряди средней длины потребуется 1 упаковка краски.
- Если требуется покрасить волосы, чтобы корни были темные, а остальная длина волос — светлая, то необходимо внимательно подбирать цветовые тона красящего состава. Harmony is important in this process, so it is better to carry out such staining under the careful guidance of a professional. If self-staining is carried out in 2 tones, the following tactic is often used: the ends are lightened with chemical clarifiers, but the roots are tinted with ammonia-free dyes.
Tips to help you color your regrown hair roots:
To dye your strands yourself, you need patience. The procedure for dyeing the roots is the same, but even if the dyeing has already been carried out repeatedly, it is still necessary to carefully study the instructions attached to the dye composition before carrying out the direct procedure.
The balayazh technique (two colors) is the coloring of the strands, when the ends are dark and the remaining length is light — done as follows:
- roots are painted first,
- then the ends are stained (the ends of the strands can be wrapped in soft foil, and can be left in their natural state, it all depends on the desired result of the shade of the strands).
It should be noted that the process of dyeing only the roots is an excellent solution for those who wish to transform their appearance without dyeing the whole head of hair.
Radical staining - instruction:
- Shoulders are wrapped with a prepared towel or soft cloth.
- Carefully comb the curls.
- Apply a greasy cream to the skin around the hair.
- Using the comb, divide the strands into 4 partings: first, the strands are separated in the middle, then the hair separates from the top of the head to the ear area.
- 4 strands are twisted clip.
- Dilute the ink composition according to the attached instructions.
- Wear protective gloves.
- With a special brush or soft sponge, paint over the middle part. That he will serve as a further guide dyed strands.
- Separate one large curl, divide it into many small strands, and carefully apply the coloring composition to each strand in the root zone.
- A similar effect to hold and with the rest of the curls.
- In order not to distinguish the roots of the strands from the rest of the hair in color shade, after staining the roots of all the strands, it is necessary to carefully work out the temporal part of the dye composition.
- After all the procedures, it is necessary to comb the curls up, you can optionally wrap the head with a plastic bag and withstand the time specified in the instructions.
- At the end of all stages of dyeing, thoroughly rinse the head with shampoo, and then apply a stabilizing balm on the curls.
- It is impossible to dry the strands after dyeing a hair dryer, it is ideal to let them dry naturally.
If you follow all the recommendations, it is easy to dye your hair at home. The result of home coloring of the roots will be a beautiful appearance and a uniform shade of strands.
See also: How to color the hair roots yourself (video)
How to dye your hair at home
The main advantage of the salon procedure is that the master will perform it professionally. He will advise the optimal shade, ensure a uniform distribution of color, talk about the basics of care for dyed hair. However, this will have to pay a lot, and sometimes also wait for a solid turn to a good stylist.
Of course, the cost of painting in Elektrostal or another regional city does not compare with Moscow or St. Petersburg prices, but for some girls this amount seems impressive. With this in mind, they make bold attempts to paint at home.
Preparation for self-staining can be divided into the following episodes:
- The choice of shade.
- Acquisition of paint and additional materials, tools.
- Testing skin and curls.
- Carrying out the procedure.
Going to change the natural color of the hair, women often act radically: blondes buy brown or black paint, and brown-haired women and brunettes desperately lighten curls. Here are the first surprises. Hair bleaching is already a great stress for the head of hair, and if you still apply an extra tone after this, prolonged treatment and restoration of the strand structure cannot be avoided.
In addition, the new shade may not be suitable and emphasize the lack of appearance. In order not to urgently correct the results of unsuccessful staining, you should listen to the recommendations of experts.
The principle of selection of colors is based on the definition of color type of appearance. There are 4 of them, and they are named for the seasons.
There are several signs and tests by which each girl will be able to understand who she is: autumn, winter, spring or summer. After that, it is not difficult to choose a suitable shade before dyeing hair at home:
- pale skinned gray or blue eyes Cold shades are suitable: light brown, ashy, platinum. If the skin has a yellowish color, you can not be painted in golden tones,
- spring womenwhich belong to a warm tsvetotip, it is worth choosing reddish, copper, golden-brown. It is not recommended to change the appearance drastically,
- cold winter type requires a contrasting black, ashen or dark blond color. Need to focus on the color of the eyes and skin (can be light or dark),
- golden skin and dark curls - Sign of the autumn type of appearance. Here chestnut, chocolate, brown, copper, light brown will be pertinent.
Attention! If you want to figure out how to dye your hair properly at home, remember: cold and summer colors are suitable for winter and summer color types, and warm colors for spring and autumn colors.
All modern chemical compositions for coloring hair are conventionally divided into 3 groups: blond, chestnut, black. For this, there is even a special scale from 1 to 10 points, where 1 is a rich black, 10 is the lightest blond. Of course, each of these colors has shades.
On packs of paint, they are usually indicated by three numbers: the first is belonging to one of the three groups, and the other two (after the dot) are color nuances. As a rule, manufacturers of professional compositions for painting have their own palettes, where you can see what a particular color looks like.
Attention! Marking "1000", "12" and "SS" indicates that the tool is intended for strong hair lightening.
The duration of the effect of chemical preparations for staining are:
- temporary - carcasses, gels, which are washed off upon contact with water,
- non-resistant - these are tinted shampoos, balms,
- semi-resistant - ammonia-free paints,
- persistent - permanent dyes with ammonia.
The last two categories allow you to get the most lasting result. The differences between them will help determine how to properly dye your hair at home and what exactly you need.
- they are washed out gradually, that is why they are optimal if you do not change the color drastically,
- help to lighten the color by 1-2 tones, not more. On blondes, these shades do not last long,
- require regular updating of the color scheme,
- may not paint a rich gray hair or previously tinted hair (if used permanent composition),
- examples of semi-permanent paints are Casting Crème Gloss by L’oreal, Estel Professional De Luxe Sense and others.
Sometimes instead of ammonia in semi-resistant paints contain amines - also very toxic substances.
Features persistent dyes:
- make it possible to radically change the original color,
- can lighten curls, even without prior bleaching,
- color does not tarnish,
- paint over even completely gray curls,
- forced to periodically tint the roots
- may damage the scalp, cause allergic reactions,
- cause difficulties if you need to change the dark tone to a light one,
- Examples of such drugs are Syoss, Londa Professional, Palette, L'Oreal Excellence and others.
Council If you are not ready to spoil the curls with permanent or semi-permanent paint, look at temporary or unstable, as well as natural preparations (henna, basma) and folk remedies. Make a hair dye at home can of lemon juice, honey, chamomile and other products.
Additional recommendations on the choice of composition:
- check the expiration date
- Do not buy too cheap dyes. They may contain harmful impurities.
- remember that smooth strands lose color faster than curly,
- thick, dense curls require more time for painting.
To dye hair roots at home or brighten the tips will need 1 package of the composition. The same amount is enough for full color short and medium hair. Long-haired beauties need to buy 2–3 packs.
Mistakes when dyeing hair
№1. Expect that after the procedure you will look just like a girl with a pack of paint.
Natural light and dark hair has a different texture, which affects the final result. Natural blonde curls are very porous, so they keep the pigment well. For this reason, the new color on the hair often coincides with what you see in the photo from the box.
Natural chestnut and black strands are distinguished by high density. This means that the shade will be deeper, more saturated. Of course, dark hair can be pre-discolored to get a brighter color, but it will greatly affect their health.
Council Pre-paint a small strand on the back of your head and see what color comes out.
№2. Try to lighten the black curls at once.
Apply lighter shades gradually: first dark chestnut, then dark blonde, light brown. Take breaks between dyeing hair at home, use regenerating and moisturizing agents. So you save yourself from the unpleasant results of clarification. Details lightening dark hair folk and chemical means you will find on our website.
Number 3. Do not test for allergies.
1-2 days before the intended staining, apply a little preparation on the area behind the ear or elbow bend. Make sure that there is no itching, redness in this place. Ignoring this rule is fraught with dermatological problems and even hair loss.
№4. Do not wear gloves and a cape that will protect clothing.
Dye can leave stains on your favorite T-shirt or skin of your hands, so it is best to carefully prepare for dyeing hair at home.
№5. Immediately before dyeing, wash your hair with air conditioning or apply styling products.
So that the chemical components of the dye do not damage the curls too much, it is necessary to wash the head 2–3 days before the procedure. It is advisable not to use additional products: balm, conditioner. Styling tools are also better to exclude. Hair should be clean, but in moderation.
№6. Keep the paint longer than recommended by the manufacturer.
This is one of the most common mistakes and the fastest way to spoil the structure of the hair shafts. Better after 2-3 weeks, repeat the staining at home to make the color more saturated, but do not violate the exposure time.
№7. To dye your hair with a shade that is more than 2–3 tones lighter or darker than the natural color of curls.
Any color should be in harmony with the color type of appearance, so it is better to avoid cardinal experiments.
№8. Ignore painting precautions:
- Do not mix different formulations in the same container.
- rinse your head well with water
- make sure that the composition does not get in the eyes,
- do not paint eyebrows and eyelashes with hair care products,
- carefully follow the instructions included in the package.
Council If you paint the curls regularly, try using tools from the same manufacturer. Even a slight difference in composition can cause an unexpected result.
Necessary tools and preparations
Properly selected tools and materials will be a good help in the work and will help to get the desired result. It is important that all painting tools are not metallic, as they can react with the colorant and change its color.
To prepare the solution, take a plastic, glass or porcelain container. The same recommendation applies to other devices for hair coloring at home.
Determines the quality and speed of application of the solution. All brushes are divided into classic and those that are equipped with a comb. The latter are convenient if you use semi-resistant compounds or tint long hair. However, they are recommended for use by professionals. For home conditions it is better to choose the classics.
The optimum brush width for uniform coloring is 4–5 centimeters. Narrower specimens are suitable for tinting individual strands; wider ones are suitable for long hairs of considerable length. A brush can be replaced with a sponge or a curling applicator, especially when it comes to tonics and semi-resistant preparations.
By the way. Hard brushes convenient to paint long curls, if it does not need to tint the roots. In other cases, it is better to choose a soft bristle.
It is an alternative to foil. It is used for wrapping individual strands during highlighting, ombra, balayazha and other complex hair dyeing techniques at home or in the salon, as well as for painting the tips. Unlike foiled paper, thermo well-washed without losing its qualities.
It looks like a device for picking berries: a wide plane with a curved end-comb. Separate parts of the hair are laid on the spatula. The device smoothly moves from the roots to the tips, as if combing a curl from the bottom up, and at the same time a dye is applied on this strand.
The tool is indispensable if you need to make bronding at home, californian highlighting, or create a blurred effect on the head of hair that looks quite natural. If your goal is full hair dyeing at home, color change, then you will not need a paddle.
Oxide for hair dye
The purpose of the oxidizer (developer, activator) is to fix the result of painting. It is used only in combination with permanent or semi-permanent compounds. It is important to choose the right concentration of oxide, otherwise you can burn the hair.
This indicator is designated as a percentage, which is defined as the amount of hydrogen peroxide per 1 liter of the product (3% oxygenator - 3% peroxide per liter, and so on).
Information on how to dye your hair at home will be incomplete if you don’t know about options concentration of the developer:
- 1,2–2,5% - suitable for gentle painting and tinting,
- 3% - to dim by 1 tone or dye color in color,
- 6% - for masking gray hair and lightening by 1-2 tones,
- 9% - if you need to become lighter by 3 tones,
- 12% - it is used with brightening colors, it makes it possible to immediately whiten hair by 3-4 tones.
Just like thermal paper, when coloring hair at home or in the salon, it serves to separate the strands. Foil is used for closed and hidden methods of dyeing when it is necessary that tinted curls do not come into contact with the rest of the hair mass. The advantage over paper is high plasticity.
Protect hands from chemicals. Usually come in a set with paint. You can replace them with more durable rubber gloves.
You will need a comb with frequent teeth to form strands. It can be with a tail, so that it is convenient to separate the partings in the distribution of the composition.
There are also special brushes for dyeing (stripper or with hooks), which help to efficiently highlight or lighten the curls of the house. Comb with rare teeth useful in the final stage of hair coloring at home.
Needed for hair zoning. Used to highlight curls desired thickness and fixing hair treated with the composition. When coloring it is possible to replace krabiki with hairdressing clips.
Oily cosmetic applied along the hairline. It is necessary in order not to stain the forehead, temples and back of the head with paint. Alternative - petrolatum.
Council In addition, for professional hair dye at home you will need a timer, a measuring cup, an old robe or a waterproof cape (T-shirt), a towel, a mirror.
Stages of staining
2-4 weeks before hair coloring at home, carry out the preparatory work:
- shear split ends,
- make some moisturizing masks,
- perform an allergy test.
If you are going to darken the bright curls more than 3 tones or disguise gray hair, plan for pre-pigmentation. This term refers to the process of saturation of curls with pigment, which will prevent the appearance of a green shade on the hair.
There are several ways, including the use of special tools (Goldwell System Pre-pigmentation, Schwarzkopf Equalizer Pre-Pigmentation and others). Look for the correct application in the description and description of the product for pre-pigmentation.
Coloring the entire length
If you need to perform a full hair coloring at home, and not just in the root zone, do this:
- Having processed the composition of the roots, distribute it with a brush, sponge or applicator over the entire length of each strand. You do not know how to apply paint? Move from the root zone to the ends.
- Consistently perform these actions in each of the 4 zones.
- Work fast to ensure even results.
- Comb curls with a comb of rare teeth.
- Fasten the colored strands with crabs. Следите, чтобы между ними и кожей головы оставался просвет для циркуляции воздуха.
- Выдержите время, указанное производителем состава.
- За несколько минут до его окончания проведите эмульгирование: слегка смочите волосы водой и энергично помассируйте их, распределяя раствор по всей длине.
- Wash off the dye with shampoo.
- Rinse your head with cold water (with vinegar).
- Apply balm.
Details of how to properly dye hair at home, you can see in the video. Learning lessons are available to set out the process, even for beginners.
How to fix the color after dyeing
If you have successfully coped with hair coloring at home - this is only half the battle. Now need to take care of maintaining the resulting color.
Here are a few recommendations that will help to cope with this task:
- immediately after dyeing, use a fixative, if it comes in a set with paint,
- use color stabilizer regularly. This product is in the line of many cosmetic companies. It can be purchased at a regular or online store,
- wash your hair with shampoos designed for colored curls. It is desirable that they do not contain sulfates. There are separate tools for blondes, brunettes, brown-haired,
- apply heat protection to your hair, even if you do not do the styling, but go for a walk in sunny weather,
- wash the shampoo with cool water to close the cuticles,
- protect your hair from chlorine, sea water (swim in the cap),
- moistening strands, do not overdo it with oils, because of which artificial color quickly tarnish,
- avoid dandruff shampoos - they wash out the dye too,
- make lamination.
Attention! The first two days after dyeing hair at home do not wash your hair. At this time, there is a process of final consolidation of a new shade.
It does not matter whether professional hair coloring is done at home or in the salon. In any case, the hair necessarily need competent care. In addition to measures to preserve color, this includes procedures for the restoration, nutrition, moisturizing curls.
Use masks, balms, conditioners. Try to do without curling, hair dryer, ironing. Especially watch the state of the tips: from time to time shear them, lubricate with special creams or serums. Let the curls rest and do not paint them too often.
Professional hair coloring at home is a complicated and time-consuming procedure. In comparison with the salon service, it does not require large financial investments, but it requires careful study of each stage: from preparation to painting.
The first time you can experiment with painting the tips or individual strands. For a full color change is better to invite an assistant. If you are going to dye your hair at home regularly, study all the nuances of the procedure in order to become yourself and a stylist and hairdresser.
Famous hair dyes, their palettes and the secrets of successful dyeing:
Hair coloring at home.
Secrets of coloring at home.