Many housewives think they know how to cook corn. But not everyone can also answer affirmatively the question: “How to cook soft corn?” Indeed, there are many subtleties in the technology of preparing this culture. They can not be ignored.
First, you need to choose the right cob. Soft after cooking will be only young corn. It differs from the more mature by:
- The size of the cob (medium length).
- The shape of rows (grains of the same size and are located tightly to each other).
- The color of the grains (in young corn they are pale, and with age they become bright yellow).
- The composition (inside the young kernels is a white viscous liquid, resembling milk). Perhaps, therefore, about young corn they say that it is milky-wax ripeness.
Secondly, it is necessary to accurately control the cooking time. For young cobs, 15 minutes is enough, and mature ones will cook for about 2 hours.
Thirdly, it is necessary to strictly follow the rules of cooking:
- Rinse the ear under running water and clean from dirty leaves.
- Pour cold water into a thick-walled container. Place the corn there in such a way that the liquid is a couple of centimeters higher than the product.
- Put the dishes on an open fire and cook the proper time.
- Remove the finished product from the stove, cover tightly with a lid and let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Remove the cobs and release them from the leaves.
Only after that you can assume that you know how to cook soft corn.
But besides the rules, there are also different ways of cooking. Here everyone chooses for himself a more suitable option of how to cook soft corn. It can be boiled in water or brought to readiness without it. Also, corn can be prepared:
- in the pan,
- in a double boiler,
- in a pressure cooker,
- in the microwave.
In addition, you must clearly understand for yourself what you should not do in any case:
- Do not salt the water during cooking. Otherwise, the grains will be stiff. It is better to add some sugar or butter to the water.
- You can not cook over high heat. After boiling, the fire needs to be made smaller.
These simple rules will help anyone figure out how to cook soft corn.
But that is not all. There is a way that tells not only how to cook soft corn. With it, you can ensure that the taste of the grains was more delicate. To do this, just do the following:
- Fresh cobs clear of leaves and fibers.
- Cut each of them across into 2 pieces and put in a saucepan.
- Pour a mixture of cold water and milk in a 1: 1 ratio. In this state, the corn should be 4 hours.
- After that, the cob should be boiled in water in the usual way. As a result of this preparation, the grains are very soft with a delicate creamy taste.
- After that, the pieces can be salted, cut into small circles and fry in boiling butter. If you wish, you can cook the whole cob.
Such a corn with a crispy crust and delicate taste will not leave anyone indifferent.
Undoubtedly, the usual boiled product does not have a special aroma. After all, the cobs are cooked without any seasoning. But there is one piece of advice that tells you how to cook juicy corn, so that even the smell has already caused an appetite. This will require 4 unpurified corn cobs and a half cups of water, a little butter and salt.
Everything is prepared very simply:
- Corn cobs pre-soak in water for several hours.
- Grease the baking pan with oil and put the whole product (with leaves) in it.
- Cover with water, wrap in foil and put in the oven for 40 minutes.
- After the time has elapsed, the prepared cobs should be slightly cooled, cleaned of leaves, put on a dish and sprinkled with warmed butter. Next separately put the salt shaker.
This option is much faster than usual and even allows you to use ripe fruit.
BOILED CORN: FEATURES OF COOKING, THINNESS AND SECRETS OF COOKING
To cook delicious boiled corn in the first place you need to choose the right one. Young cobs with milky-white or light yellow grains, which should be slightly soft but resilient, are best suited for cooking.
In practice, the hostesses cook and the corn is bright yellow in color, but it turns out to be more rigid and coarse.
If you want to cook corn, but do not know how ripe it looks, and how - dairy, then pay attention to the grains - if they are not round, have dimples, then this corn is already ripe and not very suitable for cooking. Also important is the appearance of the leaves on the cob: they should not lag far behind the cobs, be dry and yellow, outwardly they should look completely fresh.
Do not buy the cob without leaves - this may indicate that the corn was treated with pesticides, which is why the leaves curled and cut them before sale because of unattractiveness.
So, you chose corn and are ready to start cooking it, do you need to pay attention to something else?
- Try to cook together cobs of about the same size with similar grains, otherwise the corn will cook unevenly,
- Big cobs before cooking, cut across in half,
- Cleaning the cob from the leaves is not at all an obligatory procedure, which must always be done before cooking, because you can boil the corn and with them,
- Before boiling the corn, it is best to soak it for an hour in cool clean water, then it must be rinsed well with running water,
- From the cobs should be cut off the upper rotten rows of grains, if any,
- Putting the corn should be in already boiling water, which should not be salted earlier than 10-15 minutes before the end of cooking the corn,
- How much time to cook corn depends on the degree of its maturity: for young enough and 20-30 minutes, and for mature it may take 2-3 hours.
To determine if the corn is ready, you can try one of the grains.
You can boil corn in a saucepan with boiling water, in a double boiler and even a microwave, you can also bake cobs in the oven - there are many ways to cook your favorite vegetable snack, and we will tell about each of them.
RECIPE FOR COOKING OF BOILED MAIZE (MILK) IN A PAN
It will take: corn on the cob with leaves, butter, salt.
How to cook corn. Clean the young cobs, rinse, put in a pot of boiling water (3 l), bring to a boil over high heat, after the cobs emerge to boil the corn, reducing the heat to medium, another 5-10min. Remove the finished corn from the water, sprinkle with melted butter and sprinkle with salt.
Digesting young corn should not be - because of this, it becomes tough.
RECIPE FOR PREPARING BOILED CORN (MATURE) IN A PAN
It will take: 3l of water, corn, butter, salt.
How to cook boiled corn. Soak the corn, peeling the cobs (do not throw away the leaves), in cold water for an hour, then rinse. Put half of the leaves in a pot of boiling water, bring to a boil, put the cobs, boil again over high heat, then reduce the heat to moderate, cover the pan with a lid, boil the cobs for 40-50 minutes, then add salt, put the rest of the leaves and boil 15-20 min. Immediately get ready corn, dry, pour with oil and salt.
Boiled corn should always be served immediately.
RECIPE PREPARATION OF BOILED CORN IN A STEAMER
It will take: corn on the cob, butter, walnut, ground cardamom, salt.
How to cook corn in a double boiler. After cleaning, put the corn in a double-sided steamer container, greased with butter, cook for 30-40 minutes until cooked. In a skillet, separately melt 15g of butter, mix with 50g of crushed walnut, cardamom, remove from the stove. Put the prepared cobs on a dish and sprinkle with peanut butter, add salt separately.
Cook in a double boiler and you can clean and unpeeled from the corn, with the second option for cooking will take more time.
RECIPE FOR MAKING CORN IN MICROWAVE
It takes: corn, water, ghee, salt.
How to cook corn in the microwave. Without cleaning the cobs, soak for an hour in water, then put in a plastic bag and pour 2 tbsp. water, tightly tie the package, make a couple of holes in it so that steam comes out through them. Bake corn for 10-15 minutes at full capacity. When the corn is ready, clean it and coat with melted butter and salt it.
RECIPE OF CORN BAKED IN THE OVEN
It will take: corn, vegetable oil, water, butter, salt.
How to bake corn in the oven. Without cleaning, put corn on a greased baking sheet with vegetable oil, pour in water so that it covers the cob half, cover the corn tightly with foil, bake in the oven heated to 200 degrees for 40-120 minutes (baking time depends on the degree of maturity of the corn) when the corn is ready , clean it from leaves, pour over with butter, salt.
Prepare corn in a convenient way for you and please your family with such a wonderful summer dish!
Share this interesting information with your friends on social networks!
Choose the right one
Ideal for cooking is cereal, in which the grains are white or pale yellow in color. The cobs themselves are resilient and fresh. If they have a rich yellow color, they will cook for a long time.
Check the degree of ripeness of the cob is necessary for the density and softness of the grains - they must be closely spaced, but that they do not touch each other. When pressing on one of them, a white liquid will be released, having a similarity with milk. The heading on the fault should be light in color. The presence of dimples on the grains indicates that she has already overcame.
It is possible to determine the stage of maturation of this cereal culture, paying attention to the state of leaf-shaped wrappers and a bunch of pistillate columns, the edges of which are shown from the ears. The former should fit the corn tightly and be green, while the latter should have only slightly darkened tips.
You can store the cobs of cereal in the refrigerator in the compartment for vegetables, approximately half a month.
Cooked heads must be in the rest of the cooking liquid. They are allowed to be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
Preparation for cooking
For boiling cobs, you must take a thick-walled, wide and deep pan. To cook the corn in a small dish, you should break each head into two pieces.
Before cooking this cereal culture, the cobs are washed with water and freed from green wrappers and bundle of female threadlike columns. This is an optional procedure, as it is possible to remove them partially (the presence of green leaves will give even more flavor to this dish during cooking). After that, soak them in water for 1 hour.
The previous method of preparation is suitable for young heads, but how to cook old ones? In the case of the purchase of overripe cobs or medium ripeness, they are cleaned and broken in half.
Important! To give softness and juiciness to old corn, dilute milk and water equally. Pour this mixture on the cob and incubate for about 4 hours.
When the season of fresh corn comes, many people are looking for information on how to cook it to make a tasty dish. The classic method of cooking cobs in a pan on gas:
- We sort the heads of cabbage by size, fold the cob closest in size into the dishes so that they can reach readiness at the same time.
- It is advisable to cook the grain on the day of purchase - they will be more tasty and healthy.
- Prepared cabbages put in cold water.
- The dishes are tightly closed with a lid, and the liquid level should completely cover the grains on the cob.
- To determine the degree of readiness of the cereal should be soft or on the taste, or with a fork. At the same time, it is necessary to focus on the approximate time for cooking boiled corn of a certain degree of ripeness.
- Grains are salted 5 minutes before the end of cooking or immediately before serving so that they do not remain hard.
- After finishing to readiness, this dish is insisted in the saucepan in which it was cooked, under a closed lid, for about 10 minutes.
- Before serving, lay it on a plate, rub with salt and butter. Sometimes other spices are used to taste.
- Serve immediately after cooking, as in this state, it will be the most soft and juicy.
To navigate, how to cook old corn, you need to know the degree of its maturity. The first stage of ripening is milky ripeness, when liquid is released from the kernel when pressed.
If they are just soft, then such cobs are considered ripe, and in the solid state of the grains they are already overripe. In the first case, the grass should be cooked to half an hour, in the second - up to 50 minutes, and in the third even 2-3 hours longer.
Important! Care should be taken not to digest the corn, because it will become hard again.
The cob cooking method described above is the easiest and most familiar, but there are many other recipes for preparing this cereal. To do this, you can use a slow cooker or oven, pressure cooker or microwave.
Cooking with the help of kitchen appliances
Other cooking methods using kitchen appliances are listed below:
- In the slow cooker. Prepare the cob, as described above. Then pour a liter of water, and put in a pan for steam cooking. Turn on the “Steam” function for 50 minutes for fully ripe grains.
- In a double boiler. Prepare the cabbages and put them in the container together with the leaves. To form steam, pour a glass of water into the designated container. Old corn in a double boiler will reach readiness in 40 minutes.
- In a pressure cooker. Cook in a slow cooker, but reduce the cooking time to 20 minutes.
- In the oven. To cook, it is smeared with butter and sprinkled with salt and spices. Then each ear is wrapped in foil and heat treated for 45 minutes. Heating the oven set to a temperature of 220 ° C.
In the microwave. For cooking in it, it is desirable that the corn was young. Each head is wrapped in a paper towel, which must be soaked and lightly pressed. Then expose the greatest power, and give in to heat treatment. Its duration is about 5 minutes. After that, it will be soft.
There is another method of cooking in the microwave with water. To do this, take the appropriate dishes, lay out there cob and pour water. After closing the container with a lid, adjust the regulator for 45 minutes and to maximum power. In the process of cooking it is necessary to monitor the presence of water in the pot.
We reviewed the basic methods of cooking corn cobs. But boiled grains can also be the basis of many delicious dishes, for example:
Corn with cream and milk. For this we need already boiled heads of cabbage, from which the grains are cut. In parallel, milk and cream are heated in containers, then corn kernels are added there. Cook for 10 minutes.
The butter is melted separately and put the flour in it. This mixture is poured into corn boiling in milk and cream, then boiled for another 10 minutes. At the end of the cooking process, pour in a dry white wine, and languish on the fire for the last 10 minutes. Then, to taste, salt and season with spices.
Scientists who have studied the beneficial properties of corn have concluded that systematically adding it to the human diet strengthens the cardiovascular system and reduces the likelihood of diabetes and stroke.
The ability to cook it properly contributes to a more frequent appearance of dishes from this wonderful cereal culture on the table.