Lanthanum is one of the rare tropical plants adapted for growing at home. The secret of this decorative culture is in extreme vitality and strength. It is unpretentious and able to grow in a short time and decorate a house, balcony or veranda.
Lantana is a dicotyledonous flowering crops and is part of the Verben family. In nature, it grows as a shrub or dwarf shrub with woody areas on the branches. On the shoots there are thorns. Other characteristics of lanthanum:
- The height of an adult bush, adapted for growing at home, is on average 70-80 cm, maximum up to 1.5 m. It grows slowly.
- The leaves on the branch are arranged in a spiral or opposite. The hard surface can be both smooth and rough. Edge has a notch. Color - gray-green. Length - 5 cm.
- During flowering, the buds of lantana exude a pleasant smell.
- After withering, a fruit-berry with a bone is formed, inside of which there is a pair of seeds.
Decorative advantage of lanthanum - in plentiful and long flowering. In the golovovidnyh inflorescences of one copy many small buds of different tones. It seems that several identical cultures grow in a pot. The color of lantana flowers depends on the subspecies culture.
- Lantana prickly or vaulted. She is Camara. The most common hybrid for home cultivation. The color of the buds is yellow, orange, red and pink.
- Lantana Lubava. Derived on the basis of camara. Flowers change color from orange to red (pink). It is the highest in the category, so it necessarily needs a support or ampel growth method. It blooms from April to November.
- Lantana is white. A varietal class of several varieties with exclusively white petals.
Attention! The shade of buds is influenced by the vegetation stage of the shrub. Only the blossoming petals are much brighter than those that are already preparing for fading. For example, yellow becomes orange, and then deep red.
Growing decorative culture: where to start
Immediately pick a place for lantana with a good level of lighting. She likes the direct rays of the sun. At any time of the year, the plant should be illuminated by them at least 5-6 hours a day. Florists recommend pritenyat only young specimens: for a couple of hours at noon during the peak summer heat. Then lanthanum will delight you with abundant flowering and bright colors. For permanent placement suitable sills south, southeast and south-west sides.
In late spring, lantana is carried to a balcony, loggia, veranda, or directly to the garden. In the ampel version, the plant is perfect for decorating arbors, arches or other places in the local area. Conditions of detention are the same. Shrub is not afraid of precipitation, but the ambient temperature will have to be controlled. Summer cooling and heat from + 30ºС will harm the flower.
Attention! And at home, and on the street, follow the movement of air. Lantana does not like drafts and strong winds. It is important to take into account when airing the room and the location of the bush in an open area.
The optimal composition of the substrate for the cultivation of exotic at home - a mixture of equal shares:
- sheet soil
- turf soil,
- coarse sand.
Suitable nutrient and loose soil from the store. Be sure to have a good drainage, 3-4 cm. It is better to grow a flower in a bright ceramic pot - roots will suffer less from overheating.
Technology content flower
Proper care for lanthanum consists of such features:
- The temperature is summer. Favorable thermal conditions for tropical exotic from spring to autumn - from + 18ºС to + 25ºС.
- Rest period. From the end of autumn, gradually reduce the heating of the atmosphere in the room to +15 ° C. The critical minimum for lanthanum is + 8ºС. Proper wintering will provide abundant flowering next season.
- Watering in the warm season. Lantana needs a lot of water in spring and summer. Water at least 2 times a week with its separated tap, filtered or rain water. Transfusion is also harmful - the risk of fungus formation on the stems and the ground increases. The criterion for introducing a new portion of water is the drying of the upper layer by 2 cm. After watering, be sure to loosen the soil in the pot.
- Starting in the fall, gradually reduce the water recharge to 1 time in 10-12 days. Drying of the soil will occur more slowly, but it is impossible to overdry it.
- Lantana loves high humidity, but does not suffer from the dryness of room air. Before budding, bathing in the shower is allowed, from the beginning of the phase - wiping the leaves with a wetted cloth and spraying.
- Top dressing. In the summer, make a liquid mineral mixture for flowering plants. To do this, halve the dose indicated in the instructions.
Every year in April, lanthanum is transplanted into a new pot. Substrate fully updated. The transfer method is transshipment with basal soil clod. This procedure is important for flowering. To adapt after it, leave exot in a shaded place for 3-5 days.
The reproduction of lanthanum is produced using semi-lignified shoots. Cuttings harvested in early spring and rooted in the greenhouse at + 20ºС. The roots will appear within a month. After this, the greenhouse is ventilated more often, and the temperature is reduced to + 12ºС. Also, lanthanum responds well to pruning. With due attention, it will decorate the house and the garden.
Do you grow tropical crops on your windowsill?
Types of lanthanum
The genus Lantana includes 150 species of plants, but only 2 of them are grown for decorative purposes.
- Montevideo (Selloviana). Thanks to creeping stems, this species can be grown in hanging pots. Flowers, compared with lanthanum prickly, smaller, purple and pink-lilac flowers. Flowering continues until November.
- Lantana camara (or prickly). Flowers change: yellow and pink turn into red or orange. Blossoms until August. The stem is prickly, the leaves are oval, dark green.
- Lantana Camara Hybrids:
- Bandana Pink. The highest among the varieties.
- Calippo Gold. Fluffy bush with bright yellow flowers.
- Hybrid Quite tall bush (up to 80 cm), shriveled leaves, four-stalk stems. The flowers are yellow, by the end of flowering red-orange.
- Tropic Lantanas Tukan. Blooms yellow-white flowers.
- White Dwarf. Flowers remain white throughout flowering.
- Calippo Tutti Frutti. Flowers change color from yellow-orange to pink-purple.
- Flamingo. Compact plant with pink and white flowers.
- Orange. As the name implies, it blooms with orange flowers.
Table: living conditions for different seasons
For lanthanum need loose soil with good air and water permeability. For self-preparation of the mixture, you will need to use garden and leaf soil, coarse sand or perlite (all in equal shares). And also you need to add peat (30% of the total mass), which will hold water.
Too spacious pot is not required, since a small space for the root system stimulates the flowering of the plant. It is best to take a light-colored ceramic pot 1–3 cm more than the previous one. Lantana spends some time in the sun, so it is important that the pot does not allow overheating. Drainage is required at the bottom of the tank. It is recommended to transplant lanthanum every year in April.
For lanthanum do not need too spacious pot
- Fill the new pot with a drain of 3-4 cm.
- Remove the plant along with the earthy ball. Lightly shake off.
- Place lanthanum in a new container, sprinkle with soil. When planting, the plant must be placed in a pot so that the top of the ground is flush with the root neck.
- The soil around the roots must be compacted.
Care for lanthanum, as for all indoor plants, is in the proper watering, timely feeding, pruning.
Watering and feeding
In irrigation, it is important to comply with the measure - as waterlogging, and drying is harmful. In the summer, lanthanum should be watered every 3-5 days. Land in a pot should be all the time wet.
In winter, watering is reduced to 1 time in 1.5-2 weeks. The top layer of land between watering should dry out a bit.
Lantana is fed with a special fertilizer for flowering houseplants
During growth and flowering (spring - summer), lanthanum is fed once every 2 weeks with a special fertilizer for flowering plants. Land during feeding should be well hydrated. You can also use organic matter (alternating it with mineral compounds) - for example, a mullein infusion (1:10). When buds appear, 30 g of superphosphate (previously dissolved in hot water) per 10 liters of water is added to the fertilizer.
Fertilizer with a high nitrogen content will lead to the fact that the plant will thrive and will not bloom.
The flowering of lanthanum begins in May, lasts several months. Beautiful globular inflorescences attract attention. Flowers of one inflorescence can be painted in different shades.
The flowering of lanthanum begins in May, continues throughout the summer.
Flowers bloom pruned, preventing the formation of fruits that weaken flowering.
Ensuring a rest period for lantana is the key to good flowering next season. The temperature of the room where lanthanum hibernates should be within 8-10 o C. Watering is reduced, feeding is stopped. If lanthanum at the same time drops part of the foliage, do not worry. The rest period lasts from November to February.
For the formation of a beautiful neat crown plant pruned in the spring, after the rest period. Also pruning stimulates flowering.
Shoots are cut with sharp disinfected scissors by about a third. After this, new branches begin to actively form.
Depending on the wishes of the host, lanthanum can become a bush, a standard tree or an ampelous plant.
Formation of lanthanum on the shtambe
- It is necessary to choose straight-growing young lanthanum with a strong stalk.
- Remove all side shoots, leaving only the top.
- Install a support (for example, a bamboo or wooden peg) and attach a plant to it. This is to ensure that the trunk remains straight.
- When lanthanum grows to the desired height, the top of the stem should be trimmed. Support can be changed to even higher.
As a result of lantana pruning, you can get a stem tree.
Table: lanthanum pests and methods of controlling them
- Maintain the necessary humidity.
- Ensure timely watering.
- Choose the right substrate for the plant.
- Add 30 g of crushed dandelion roots to the medicinal tincture of dandelion, pour 1 l of hot water. Insist 2 hours, spray the plant for 3-5 days.
- Processing plants Aktar drug (according to the instructions).
Small butterflies that leave sticky plaque on the leaves. It becomes a habitat for soot fungus.
- Collect butterflies by hand.
- Spray onion solution (20 g of husk pour 1 liter of water, insist 5 days, drain).
- To process the drug Aktara, Mospilan, Tanrek (according to the instructions).
- Collect pests manually. They are separated from the plant with difficulty, so you can lubricate the shells with kerosene or vinegar and wait 2-3 hours.
- To process the drug Fitoverm, Phosbecid, Metaphos (according to the instructions).
- Cut cuttings (8–10 cm) from an adult plant. As a rule, for breeding, twigs obtained as a result of pruning at the end of February are used.
Lantana cutting height - 10 cm
Lanthanum cuttings planted in the ground
Lanthanum seeds can be purchased at flower shops.
- In early spring, sow the seeds, deepening them by 0.5 cm in a loose substrate.
Lantana seeds are planted at the end of winter
With a growth of 10 cm, the shoots of lanthanum dive
Reviews of growing lanthanum
I brought my lanthanum from Turkey, where they grow on the streets in large bushes. For rooting, I cut off half-woody 15 cm branches, i.e. "Heads". Feels like they resemble grassy plants like wormwood. In a damp napkin, she transported home, dipped it in a stimulant (Kornevin), stuck it in the ground and under the bag. In the same way, I update the plant once a year or two, always rooting seamlessly. In the summer I plant lanthanum in open ground. Last year, after frosts in June, it froze slightly, and then grew back from the trunk. Almost did not have time to bloom, by the autumn she only got buds. And before that, in previous years, it grew into a lush bush, up to a meter in height, with abundant flowering. This is a southern plant, very fond of the sun. When the sun is weak, it also blooms, only the branches stretch out and do not bush much. Another pleasant moment in the cultivation of lanthanum is its drought tolerance. She drinks a lot, after watering the earth dries out instantly and so stands dry lump, it does not affect flowering and leaves. In general, it is better to dry than pour. And a couple of unpleasant moments. The main reason I plant lantana in the garden in the summer is its rubbish. Small flowers after flowering fall off, it is impossible to collect them manually, only a vacuum cleaner helps. The second - the juice of the plant and berries are poisonous. Just keep this in mind, wash your hands and tools after trimming.
I have been growing for several years now. Moreover, I planted several cuttings of two varieties in one pot. This gives even more originality to my flower. The plant is completely unpretentious to the soil, I add some sand to the universal soil. Lantana tolerates perfectly dry air, and a few hours of direct sun is simply shown to it. I have it on the west side of the balcony. I am sure that I would blossom even better on southern lantana! The more light, the more abundant flowering! It is necessary to water abundantly as the soil dries, avoiding drying. With a prolonged drought may die. I feed it with the beginning of flowering 2 times a month with Kemira Lux fertilizer. In winter, lanthanum, of course, is best kept in a cool room with a temperature of 8-10 degrees. But I have no such conditions, she winters in an apartment, and she stands near the window, and not on the windowsill. Stretched sprigs in spring I prune. Pruning is one of the main conditions for a compact flower shape and good flowering.
Until recently, I would never have attributed this plant to exotic ... Well, it blooms with yellow-orange flowers, it grows quickly, just to care ... Grandmothers love to grow it and the whitefly likes to eat it ... In short, lantana itself and lantana. BUT: progress in breeding has involved in breeding not only the arched lanthanum, or prickly (Lantana camara) habitual to us, but also its hybrids with other American species. More and more new varieties and colors are being created ... Breeders have already played enough with multi-colored inflorescences, now they have brought pure white and pure yellow varieties ... In addition, other types of lanthanum have been introduced into the culture. So, lantana montevideyskaya - very good for ampel growing.
Caring for this flower is not difficult, in the winter I just reduced watering for him. In the spring cut off the shoots, and began to feed. Top dressing I do every watering, but reduce the dose in half, which is indicated on the top dressing package. If you don’t touch the flower, you don’t notice the aroma; if you touch the leaves, it smells like melissa or orange, it’s very nice. At the beginning of flowering, the flowers are lemon-lemon, then they turn bright orange. Having planted such flower, you will have an additional sun.
I simply adore lanthanum, I have been updating it for a few years now. All these years it was only yellow-orange, and this year bought and white and lilac. I planted everything in one pot, beauty. It hibernates on the loggias, the loggia is not heated, but is glazed and insulated. If they promise severe frosts, I tidy up the room, somewhere up to three degrees feels fine. But I cut it to the cold.
Lantana vaulted, or prickly, camara
Lantana vaulted, or prickly, camara (Lantana camara cultivars) is a variable (changeable) evergreen shrub from the Verben family, 1–2 m tall and 1–2 m wide; in a pot culture they grow compact forms up to 50 cm. Stems are erect, branched, sometimes prickly, 4-sided, lignified over time. The leaves are ovate-oblong, wrinkled, 5-10 cm long, with the smell of rotten grass. The flowers are small, collected in inflorescences, with a diameter of up to 5 cm, bloom on the shoots of the current year from May to October. Fruits - bluish-black with a bluish bloom drupe.
A brighter palette of colors of lanthanum inflorescences was due to French breeders who tried to get away from the innate multicolor and create monochrome varieties and they succeeded. So, today, lovers of pure colors grow varieties with love: ‘White Dwarf’ (white flowers), ‘Samantha’ (lemon yellow flowers).
In the container culture, the variety “Aloha’s” was fond of soft drooping shoots, variegated leaves and light yellow flowers. As ampelnous, lanthanum ‘Goldsonne’ is grown with creeping shoots and yellow flowers.
Recently, sterile varieties of lanthanum, which bloom profusely but do not bear fruit, are very popular.
Among them are sunny, bright: ‘Miss Huff’ (orange, coral, yellow flowers), ‘Silver Mound’ (cream-white flowers with a yellow peephole), ‘New Gold’ (bright yellow flowers).
Такие лантаны преображают летом дачу, делают ее более красивой, изысканной, привносят в нее своеобразную экзотическую изюминку.
Роскошно смотрятся лантаны с розовыми соцветиями.
In the zenith of fame now dwarf varieties.
In room culture
Soil substrate from a mixture of turf land, humus, sand in a ratio of 1: 1: 1. Watering during the growing season is abundant, but waterlogging should be avoided. Contain on sills southeast and southwest windows, in the summer with a slight shading (lanthanum blooms only on the sunny side of the house). Lantana does not tolerate high summer temperatures with high humidity. For greater bushiness shoots tops pinch. Every 2 weeks they feed with complete mineral fertilizer. Lanthanum pruning is well tolerated; therefore, vigorous shoots are shortened in a timely manner. If necessary, in July, you can transfer to a larger pot, which will provide more abundant flowering.
For lanthanum, winter relative rest is important, at which it is placed in a bright place with an optimum temperature of + 12 + 14 ° C, watering is limited, but does not allow overdrying of the soil, with full abscission of leaves it is kept at a temperature of + 6 + 8 ° C. Transplant in the spring in March every year with pruning weak shoots and pinching the tops. Clipped shoots graft and root in wet sand (rooted easily).
If your lanthanum was attacked by the whitefly, which it attracts like a magnet, then for 2 weeks each day it is necessary to wipe each sheet from both sides with a wet cloth. With a strong whitefly, put the plant pot in the bag, after having sprayed it with cockroach medicine, tie it up and put it in partial shade on the open balcony, loggia for a day, then wash the plant in cool water under the shower.
Lantana quite tenaciously endures the dryness of the premises, however, it can “surrender”, and the spider mite and the scythe will attack it, therefore, to prevent this from happening, it is necessary from time to time to spray it from the sprayer with distilled water of room temperature, while so that water does not fall on the inflorescences. When overwetting, it can be affected by fungal diseases, and then it will have to be treated outdoors with fungicides.
In the tub culture
They are also grown as in room conditions, with the only difference being that in the spring, after the threat of returning spring frosts is over, it is gradually hardened and taken out to the open air. In the summer, they regularly water, feed, cut. In the fall, before the autumn frosts, we shortly cut and put them in a cold greenhouse with a temperature of at least + 6 + 8 ° С, pour occasionally.
If a whitefly has attacked the kadado lanthanum in the fresh air, then it is necessary to move the container with it from the ceremonial summer cottage to the backyard and treat it with Fitoverm according to the instructions. Especially carefully it is necessary to spray the underside of the leaves.
In the open ground
In open ground, lanthanum is grown on the Black Sea coast of the Krasnodar Territory. At the same time in the list of mandatory agrotechnical measures the following:
- shallow soil digging in spring with subsequent loosening,
- regular watering
- soil mulching with an organic substrate,
- top dressing (every year) in April, June, September,
- pruning during the growing season of long shoots, knocked out of the desired contour of the plant,
- pruning in the fall after the first frost on the "short stump"
- shelter for the winter with a thick layer of mulch.
Reproduction of lanthanum
In the presence of seeds that can be harvested while traveling, they are sown in the spring, before that they are soaked for a day in water at room temperature. Shoots appear within 1 month to 3 at + 18 + 24 ° C.
Lanthanum cherenkoit not only in summer, but also in February-March. The apical semi-woody cuttings “with a heel”, 10 cm long, with the removal of the lower leaves, are planted immediately in a loose moist substrate consisting of peat and coarse sand in a 1: 1 ratio at + 20 ° C. Rooting occurs within 3 weeks.
It is interesting
- Lantana in the New World in the XVIII century. discovered the Spaniards.
- In the open ground, it grows today in Bolivia, Peru, Ecuador, Argentina, Chile, on the Black Sea coast of the Krasnodar Territory - in Sochi.
- Ambiguously perceive the smell of leaves of lanthanum, some associate it with cat urine, others fill them with sachet pads and from dry leaves of lanthanum and inhale, as they characterize, a pungent, harsh smell of mint, camphor and onion.
- Due to the fact that the flowers of lantana as they bloom change color from white or yellow to orange, dark red, violet, it is called in Germany lanthanum undergoing changein the Czech Republic - girlish word.
- Blossom of one flower lasts 3 days.
- The immature fruits of lanthanum are poisonous and toxic to humans and animals.
- In Thailand, one can come across multi-colored lantanum standard trees, when several different varieties are grafted onto one trunk.
- Medicinal properties of lanthanum are known for a long time. So, the Spaniards used lantana camara when bathing in the baths, because she calmed them down and even with various cuts, wounds, dermatitis, bites. The decoction of its leaves was used for a lazy stomach (as an analogue of the modern motilium), rheumatism, and for colds. In addition, before it was used for snake bites, treatment of paralysis, malaria. And burned dry leaves - for a single century, used as a natural repellent.
Lanthanum "skeletons in the closet"
- In South Africa, planting and breeding lantana is prohibited by law, as it is quite aggressive and suppresses other species, having an allelopathic effect on them.
- In India, for the aggressiveness of lanthanum called curse planters.
- In Tanzania, its dense thickets - breeding grounds tsetse fly and anopheles mosquitoes
- In Australia, lanthanum is one of the most aggressive weeds.
Lantana comes from the hot tropics of America and Africa. There are 150 plant species in the lanthanum family, many of which are grown in culture.
A shrub that reaches impressive size in its hot homeland is valued by florist for its abundant and long flowering. Lanthanum blooms from May to September, small fragrant flowers, collected in spherical or shield-like inflorescences. The color of the petals in the natural forms of the plant can be white, pink, yellow, red, blue. Lanthanum has the ability to change the color of the flower petals: the newly blossomed buds are colored yellowish, and later they turn saturated pink.
Lantana is grown as a pot plant, in the garden as an annual, as it cannot spend the winter in our conditions.
You can appreciate the bright beauty of lantana by admiring the photo of the flower.
Types and varieties
One of the most popular and well-known species. Lantana camara (vaulted), which has prickly stems and leafy pubescent. In pot culture forms a shrub, up to 50 cm in size. Inflorescences of bright flowers are formed in the leaf axils at the end of spring. Flowering continues until September.
- Golden cloud (bright golden flowers),
Lantana montevidea (Selloviana) is a climbing plant with medium-sized, ovoid, pubescent leaves. The flowers are small, lilac with a pink tinge and yellow speck in the center. Blossoms from June to November.
The plant, though lightly loving, but put up with a lace shadow. Lanthanum can be placed for the summer period on the south, south-east and south-west balconies.
It is important to choose the right pot for lantana. Well, if it is light colors, in such a capacity, the roots of the plant will not overheat. The ceramic pot will also be comfortable for the plant due to its air permeability. However, in ceramic containers lanthanum will have to be watered more often.
Comfortable summer temperature for lantana is +20 +25 degrees, the flower likes moist air, and needs spraying. In winter, the plants are brought into the room, and create comfortable conditions for the rest period. This air temperature is not higher than +12, dim lighting, poor watering, but not ceasing spraying. Too dry indoor air weakens the plant. With the onset of spring, the branches of lantana are cut to a third, thereby stimulating the growth of new shoots and tillering of the plant. Cropped twigs can be used for flower propagation.
Soil mixture for lanthanum is prepared by mixing in equal parts turf ground, sand and humus. Up to 30% of high peat is added to this mixture, as it contributes to the moisture capacity of the soil.
In case of violation of agricultural engineering, lanthanum can be affected by rot, mold and rust. The plant is treated with fungicides, and for the prevention of disease, the soil is regularly loosened, watering is carried out only with warm water, and they do not allow lanthanum to be in a cold room.
In the open field, lanthanum is often attacked by the whitefly, aphid, shieldweed, spider mite. With a weak infection, the plant is washed with soapy water, just washing away the pests. In case of severe injury, spray planting Aktar.
Use of lanthanum
This bright long flowering perennial will decorate the balcony, terrace, veranda or porch. Lush bushes with bright flowers will add a festive mood and color.
In the open field, planted in a flower garden, lantana looks good with geraniums, fuchsias, and petunias. In single landings, against the background of the emerald lawn carpet, it is also good.
In ancient times, the Europeans used lanthanum as a drug. A decoction of its leaves was added to the baths for the treatment of eczema, wounds, burns and bruises. Inside the broth was taken for colds and sluggish digestion. And the ash from the leaves of lantana, natural and safe insect repellent.
See also a video on the topic:
Rod Lantana or in Latin Lantana, which includes about 150 species, comes from the verben family. Tropical America is rightly considered the birthplace of lanthanum, from where it spread throughout the world.
In a temperate climate, lanthanum grows, but does not withstand winter. Interestingly, this plant tends to grow, crowding out "neighbors".
Lantana is rightfully recognized as one of most ornamental plants for home or garden.
Unpretentiousness and ability to adapt even to the poor land made this plant favorite of many flower growers. Young lantana blooms more abundantly and longer than adults.
The most common type, called lanthanum prickly or Lantana camara. In room conditions, the plant reaches half a meter in height.
Lantana prickly differs covered small spines stem, dark green toothed leaves and white pubescence on the underside of the leaf.
With age, lanthanum grows, and its the stems turn wood. This allows you to form a plant in the form of a bush or a stem tree.
Plant inherent pink, yellow, carmine-red and even purple hues. Colors replace each other, and at some point the inflorescence is colored in all colors at once. Flowering occurs from May to August.
There are several popular varieties of lanthanum prickly:
- Goldensonne - golden flowers,
- Cocktail - inflorescences of brick-red and orange shades,
- Naida - white flowers with a yellow eye,
- Aloha - Golden inflorescences,
- Sunkiss - brick-red and orange flowers,
- Schneewittchen - white flowers with a yellow eye,
- White dwarf - white inflorescences,
- Samanta - lemon yellow inflorescences.
A rarer, but no less beautiful view is lantana montevidea or in Latin Lantana montevidensis with flexible shoots. It is great for ampel growing.
The leaves of this plant are slightly smaller in size, and the inflorescences are painted in lilac-pink or purple shades. Flowering occurs from june to november
Selection and lighting
Lantana is very big lover of light. She needs at least 3 hours a day in direct sunlight on the south window.
Plant tolerates well and partial shade, but in this case not so plentiful blooms. In the warm season it is advisable to place lantana on the balcony, veranda, and best of all in the garden.
Optimal temperature the content of the flower in the summer - from 16 to 24 ° C. In winter, lanthanum is best placed in a cool room with a temperature of around 10 ° C.
Watering and moisture
Water the lanthanum need regularlyso that the soil always remains slightly wet. From the drying of the soil the plant can reset the inflorescences and even refuse to bloom.
In the cold season watering is reduced and the soil is only slightly moistened.
Lantana tolerates moderate humidity quite well, but regular spraying will only benefit her. In addition, water treatments will protect the plant from dangerous pests.
Soil for lanthanum should choose nutritious and loose, so that it is well missed water and air. Ready mix for flowering houseplants.
But the best thing to make an earthen mixture yourself. To do this, mix:
- 1 part of coarse river sand,
- 3 pieces of turf land,
- 1 part of humus earth,
- 4 pieces of leafy ground.
Transplanted plant annually in spring. It is advisable to take the pot 1–3 cm more than before: the lanthanum roots are small and weakly branched. Do not forget about the layer of drainage at the bottom of the pot.
During the period of active growth and flowering, it is recommended to feed lanthanum with complex fertilizer for flowering plants once a month.
All information about the reproduction of ficuses at home can be found in our material.
Our article will tell you about the secrets of planting and caring for common turquoise.
Trimming and Pinching lanthanes allow you to form it in the form of a lush bush, stem tree or ampelous plant.
The best thing begin pruning in the spring after a period of rest, reducing the shoots by two thirds. With proper pruning, lantana shrub is covered with a solid hat of bright inflorescences. Withered flowers should be removed in time.
Diseases and Frequent Problems
Lantana can get sick rust - this is lethargy and leaf spot due to high humidity. The solution is to reduce moisture, remove diseased leaves and use fungicides. Prevention - regular soil loosening.
Common plant problems:
- Yellow spots on the leaves - spider mite attack. The solution is to increase the humidity of the air or use an insecticide.
- The plant sheds leaves for the winter. - a natural process.
- Plant dying off - attack aphids. The solution is spraying with soapy solution with alcohol or using an insecticide.
Description, types, recommendations for the care of lanthanum and reproduction from seed at home, see the video:
Admire the variety of colors and varieties of lanthanum in the video below:
As you can see, to care for the original and beautiful lanthanum is not difficult. Give her a little attention and care - and an unusual and bright plant will give you his colorful flowers and wonderful aroma.
Its homeland is South America, it was from there that the plant began to be transported to Europe and other parts of our planet. Having found a caring owner, lanthanum is able to surprise even the most sophisticated gardeners. Ask what? At least by the fact that the shade of its flowers can change during the flowering period and turn from red to orange, and then to yellow and white. And touching the sheets, wiping them from dust, fill the room with a pleasant lemon-mint flavor.
Let's see how and where you can grow such beauty. The plant will take root both at home and in the household plot. Under favorable conditions, it multiplies very quickly and can even displace a number of growing "neighbors", so it is better to plant lanthanum separately. In India, this flower gives planters a lot of problems, not giving the opportunity to receive a full harvest as a result.
But in our latitudes such a problem is excluded, because in conditions of frost the plant dies. You can save it by transplanting in a greenhouse during the cold.
The most popular species that grows in the home, Laktana camara. In the open field, it can reach a height of 1.5 m, and in pots on the windowsill it grows up to 50 cm. Depending on your preferences, the plant can be grown in the form of a tree or shrub, occasionally cutting the top.
This southern beauty will delight the eye with flowers from spring up to late autumn. After the flowers on the branches appear small, dark berries. But it is important to remember that they are poisonous, so it is better not to put the pot in the nursery.
For bright lanthanum to add light and color to your home, you should pay some attention to caring for it. It takes a little time.
- Shine. A minimum of 6 hours of direct sunlight is necessary for full growth. At the site it may grow in partial shade, but in this case it may not bloom so abundantly.
- Temperature. The ideal mode during the warmer months will be + 20- + 25 degrees. And in the autumn-winter period, the plant must be kept in a cool place (+ 7- + 10 degrees).
- Humidity. You can not worry if you suddenly forget to pour lanthanum, she calmly suffers dryness. But occasionally still needs to be sprayed.
- Priming. The plant is unpretentious, but do not get too carried away, too fertile soil will contribute to the active growth of leaves to the detriment of peduncles.
- Watering. В теплое время года важно следить за влажностью грунта и производить своевременный полив, а зимой почва нуждается лишь в периодическом увлажнении.
- Подкормка. В период цветения лантану можно удобрять составами для цветущих растений один раз в две недели.
Выращивание лантаны – сплошное удовольствие. Minimal effort and lush plants with bright colors will give a special aesthetic pleasure, adding bright colors, and attracting butterflies into your garden.
The content of the article
- Lantana: how to grow and place in the country, varieties and secrets
- How to make a plan of planting flowers
- What to plant in the country
Lanthanum hybrid is a selection form of lanthanum prickly or vaulted, also called camara. Of the more than 150 species, only Camara is grown for ornamental purposes. During the flowering period, lanthanum changes its color, but French breeders have bred several monochrome varieties. Among them:
- White Dwarf with white flowers
- Samantha with lemon yellow buds,
- Aloha with light yellow flowering and drooping shoots
- Goldsonne with yellow flowers and creeping shoots.
Separately worth noting non-fruiting varieties:
- Miss Nuff (blooms with orange, coral and yellow flowers),
- Silver Mound (flowers monochrome, creamy white with a yellow center),
- New Gold with bright yellow flowers,
- Selloviana with small pink-purple flowers of a tubular form with a yellow core.
For cultivation in the apartment and dwarf varieties of lanthanum are bred.
How to grow and place lanthanum
Before planting, lanthanum seeds are soaked for 24 hours in water at room temperature, and sown in January-March. The first shoots appear 1-3 weeks after planting. As soon as the shoots reach a height of 10 cm, they need to swoop down and begin to harden. The cuttings are planted immediately in a wet substrate consisting of equal parts of peat and sand at an ambient temperature of about 20 degrees. Rooting cuttings occurs 20 days after planting.
At home for an adult plant, the following soil composition is recommended: sod land, humus and sand in equal parts. It is better to place on the windowsills of the south-western and south-eastern windows. The plant blooms only in the sun, with a slight shade.
It is necessary to water lanthanum plentifully, without overmoistening the soil. In order for the plant to grow in breadth, the tops of the shoots should be pinned. Lantana is fed with mineral fertilizers at least 1 time per month, and on depleted soils - at least 1 time in 2 weeks. Excessively long shoots must be shortened, wilted flowers - removed. Strongly grown plants are transplanted into large pots. The best thing to do is in June.
In the cold season, Lantana needs rest. Therefore, it must be placed in a bright place with an air temperature of 12-14 degrees. Watering at the same time should be limited, but not so that the soil is completely dry. If the flowers fall lanthanum need to be rearranged in a colder place with a temperature of 6-8 degrees.
Lantana can be successfully grown in the country. To do this, in the spring they begin to take it out into the air to harden the plant. As soon as the threat of spring frosts passes, it can be planted in open ground. Land under lanthanum shallowly dig and thoroughly loosen, mulch the organic substrate. It is better to place the Camara on the sunny side in a slightly shaded place, well protected from the wind. As a rule, lanthanum in the country is grown in pots or flower beds at a distance of 0.3 m from each other.
Caring for a plant in the country is the same as in the room: lanthanum needs to be watered, fed and trimmed regularly. It is enough to feed 3 times a year: in April, in June and in September.
In the fall, transplant in a cold greenhouse with a temperature of 6-8 degrees and sparse irrigation. After winter, shoots are cut by 30% to stimulate the emergence of new shoots. If you plan to leave the plant outdoors, it is completely cut and covered with a thick layer of mulch before the first autumn frosts.
The most common pest for lanthanum is the whitefly. In the case of a light and medium form of infection, to combat this pest, it is necessary to wipe the leaves daily with a damp cloth on both sides for a crescent every day. With a strong infection, the plant is treated with a means of cockroaches, placed in a bag and tied. In this state, the pot of lanthanum is left for a day on an open balcony, after which the plant is washed with water at room temperature under a shower.
To combat the whitefly in the backyard area, treatment with the Fitoterm is necessary. In this case, it is desirable to transfer the plant to the backyard and carefully process it, paying particular attention to the treatment of the underside of the leaves.
When growing lanthanum in a dry climate, it is susceptible to infection with spider mites and shields. To prevent infection, the leaves must be periodically moistened with a spray bottle with water at room temperature so that water does not fall on the flowers.
In the country to save lanthanum from most pests and diseases help insecticides broad-spectrum. They need to process camara twice a year: in spring and autumn.
When growing plants in too wet a room, it can be affected by fungus. To combat these diseases, lanthanum is treated with fungicides outdoors.