Insomnia is a sleep disorder characterized by poor quality of sleep, difficulty in falling asleep, sensitivity to sounds, and insufficient sleep duration for normal recovery of the body's physiological parameters. In this case, a sufficient and normal amount of hours of sleep is considered to be 6-10 hours.
Systematic lack of sleep can lead to the development of a chronic form of insomnia, which in turn can cause severe mental disorders, uncontrolled sudden movements of the extremities during sleep and disturbed breathing rhythms, leading to insufficiency of inhaled oxygen.
- violation of sleep - fear of a person not falling asleep, increased anxiety, irritability,
- Intrasomy - frequent waking up during the night, a feeling of lack of depth of sleep,
- disorders associated in too early arousal,
- hypersomnia - excessive sleepiness during the day due to lack of sleep at night or as a result of the action of sleeping pills.
- shift schedule, including the 2nd and 3rd shifts,
- bad habits,
- uncomfortable conditions in the room (stuffiness, noise, urban lighting),
- change of time zones when moving to a new place of residence or during business trips,
- high urbanization and long traffic of large cities,
- constant stressful situation at work or in the family,
- chronic depression
- wrong diet and physical activity,
- violation of the cardiovascular, respiratory, digestive or nervous systems,
- hypoglycemia (metabolic glucose metabolism).
Symptoms of insomnia:
- bad falling asleep
- tenderness of sleep
- frequent waking and difficulty falling asleep,
- sleep disturbance occurs 3 or more times a week,
- malaise and weakness during the day caused by sleep deprivation,
- tremor and heaviness in the muscles of the body,
- redness of the eyes, puffiness of the eyelids, dry lips.
In the treatment of insomnia, an integrated approach is needed, which includes a change in the mode of food intake, physical activity and work activity. There are several basic principles that must be followed to normalize sleep and to fall asleep more quickly:
- go to bed and get up at the same time - if you need to get up every day at 8 am, you need to go to bed no later than 22: 00-24: 00. The same regime should be maintained during the weekend. Otherwise, an excessive desire to sleep on a Sunday morning can lead to difficulties getting up on Monday,
- in the evening you need to go to bed when drowsiness occurs,
- the temperature in the bedroom should be 16-19 ° C, and the noise and lighting should be minimal,
- Before going to sleep, you should not perform any active actions, but to relax as much as possible. The most favorable time for active activities are the morning hours and the time from 16:00 to 19:00,
- so that everyday thoughts do not disturb the mind when falling asleep, you should analyze tomorrow tomorrow night for sleep and plan all actions,
- the bed should not become a work area. It should be comfortable, comfortable and used only for sleep and sex,
- tonic drinks, heavy food and stimulant drugs should not be consumed after 16:00,
- 2 hours before bedtime, you can only eat light meals or drink fermented milk drinks,
- do not use a lot of liquid at night. Excessive fluid can cause the urge to go to the toilet at night, after which it will be difficult to sleep,
- if the body needs daytime sleep, it should be no more than 30 minutes,
- take a warm bath with relaxing essential oils 2 hours before bedtime,
- make an obligatory ritual of conducting daily evening walks in the fresh air or having sex.
The hormone melatonin, which is produced by the human body, is an important component of healthy and deep sleep. Its low blood level leads to the causes of insomnia. You can increase the level of this hormone by eating certain foods:
- cherry, cherry, cherry plum are natural sources of melatonin. Before bedtime, they should be eaten 100-120 g,
- milk and dairy products - tryptophan and calcium in them contribute to the speedy sleep,
- bananas stimulate the production of hormones, while potassium and magnesium have a relaxing effect on the nervous system and muscles,
- nuts, lean meat and whole grain bread - these foods are rich in B vitamins, which are involved in the synthesis of tryptophan and melatonin.
Also, normalization of sleep is influenced by proper nutrition, which includes rationally selected foods that combine a balanced set of proteins, fats and carbohydrates. These products include:
- vegetables (lettuce), greens (dill, basil), fruits (mulberry, lemon),
- microalgae (spirulina, chlorella),
- whole grain products (brown rice, oats, corn),
- all kinds of edible mushrooms,
- sea fish and shellfish.
Folk remedies for insomnia
In folk medicine there are a large number of medicinal recipes to help cope with insomnia. Here are some of them:
- tincture of peony root evading. To do this, a pharmacy should purchase dry peony root and pour alcohol (40 vol.) In a ratio of 1:10. The tincture should be kept in a dark place for a week, and then take 30-40 drops 3 times a day. The course of treatment should be held for at least one month.
- infusion of medicinal herbs. A mixture of flowers (peony, tea rose, chamomile, willow-tea) to brew as a soothing tea before bedtime at the rate of 1 tbsp. l collection of 250 ml. boiling water.
- infusion of herbs mint, melissa, valerian, cyanosis, black elderberry, hops and St. John's wort. A mixture of dried herbs (1 teaspoon) should be filled with boiling water (200 ml), let stand 15-20 minutes and drink half an hour before bedtime.
Dangerous and harmful products for insomnia
For the prevention of insomnia, you should exclude or limit the use of foods and drinks that contain caffeine: strong black tea, coffee, cocoa, cola, energy drinks, chocolate and others.
It is also better to avoid the use of hot spices and seasonings, which unduly irritate the mucous membrane and can affect sleep. Completely removed from the diet products containing monosodium glutamate, not natural food colors and impurities of heavy metals.
To get rid of insomnia, you should also eliminate or minimize the use of alcohol and the number of cigarettes smoked during the day.
Why insomnia is haunting man
Causes of poor sleep:
- stress, depression, fear,
- bad bed
- heat, little fresh air,
- overeating before bedtime
- smoking, alcohol,
- illness, severe pain.
All reasons cannot be listed. Let's better find something that helps get rid of it. You can, of course, take drugs, but they are toxic, and also get used to them so quickly that they cease to act.
1. Folk remedies for insomnia
A good remedy for this phenomenon at home is the dream of a pleasant holiday, the presentation of beautiful sea or forest landscapes. You will not even notice how sweet slumber will come.
Best of all is to use folk remedies and not to suffer. Drink a cup of warm milk with 1 tsp. honey In a few minutes, the drowsiness will take you to their sweet nets.
An excellent tool is tea with mint, roots, valerian leaves, anise seeds.
How to make anise tea? Heat the kettle by rinsing it with hot water. Put there 0.5 hours spoonful of seeds, add boiling water, cover, let stand for 20 minutes. Strain, drink 100 ml overnight, adding 1 tsp. honey
2. Herbs for insomnia
If the disease has developed on nerve soil, then prepare such a mixture. The main thing is to keep the proportion - 3: 3: 2: 2. Take mint, motherwort herb, hop cones, valerian root, mix everything up. Then 10 grams of the mixture pour 250 ml of water, put in a water bath, boil for 10 minutes, filter, add to the original volume, drink 3 times a day. Last reception at night.
The recipe of traditional healers: take equal parts of chamomile, peppermint, fennel fruit, valerian root, mixed. Take 10 grams. herbs brew 200 ml of boiling water, put in a water bath, evaporate for 25 minutes. Then strain, add water to get 200 ml again.
How to take: drink twice a day, one glass. You can cure neurosis, insomnia, calm the heart.
3. Clay treatment
What is it? Start before you go to bed to sculpt clay figurines. After 2 weeks you will feel how you began to sleep soundly.
Another interesting method. Dissolve white clay in half a glass of boiling water, add 3-4 tablespoons of yarrow broth, stir. Put the mixture in a gauze napkin, tie it up. Apply to temples for 20-25 minutes on forehead.
4. Dill and wormwood for sound sleep
Dill is endowed with many useful properties, including the fight against falling asleep. Recipe: pour 1 tbsp. l chopped herbs one Art. hot water, insist 1,5-2 hours. Drink 0.5 glass 3 times the day before a meal, then drink 1 glass at night.
Wormwood - an invaluable tool in the fight for sound sleep. Recipe: 1-2 tbsp. l herbs wormwood insist in 2 tbsp. boiling water 2 hours. Drink before you go to bed.
5. What to do if you can not sleep at night
How to fall asleep, if your body is still full of energy, and the brain is ready to "move mountains"? The answer is simple, you just need to fool yourself. Instead of counting the sheep, try not to fall asleep. Psychologist Julia Hirst advises: "Try to keep your eyes wide open and constantly repeat yourself:" I do not want to sleep.
Oddly enough, the reaction of your brain will be the opposite. According to the scientist, he will “rebel” and will begin to prepare for bed. In psychology, this phenomenon is called the "paradox of sleep."
Well, it’s, like, the old, kind advice: “So that the laundry during the machine wash does not twist into the blanket cover, you need to advance, before washing it there to shove. And, on the contrary, it will fall out! ”
If this does not work, try slowing your breathing. As you know, in a dream, we breathe much slower and more evenly than when awake. Imagine a sea wave somewhere on the shore of a warm tropical beach, and adjust your breath to its rhythm. According to somnologists, it helps.
Sleepers are sleep specialists. Imagine how they have seminars and workshops! Seriously, I myself just start to watch my breath, saying to myself: “This is about ... oh ... the air fills the lungs at the top, u, then at the bottom - uu ... This is your breath-xxx ... the lungs shrink and pull out the air. “You know, it helps!
6. How to get rid of insomnia during pregnancy
What to take during pregnancy? Just do not drink any pills. There are natural medicines that also help well. During pregnancy, you can drink valerian infusion.
But here, too, do not overdo it, otherwise you will get a different effect. Excellent means of tea from motherwort, thyme, licorice, peppermint, chamomile, but not from hop. Juice from radish, turnip, beet with the addition of honey will be useful.
Celery grass also gives an excellent result: take 20 grams of leaves, pour 200 ml of boiling water, leave for 30 minutes. Drink this broth should be three times a day.
In addition to natural remedies, the correct mode of the day, walking before bedtime, a pleasant, warm shower, and a comfortable bed will save you from worrying at night. To find a comfortable position, lay pillows, one place under your leg, another one under your back.
7. Insomnia in menopause
This trouble is visited by almost all women with menopause, due to hormonal changes in the body. Tips are the same as in all moments of the manifestation of this disease.
As a remedy for insomnia with menopause, well-known products are useful:
- Honey and Milk. If a woman has a normal level of glucose, you can take a glass of their mixture at night. In 100 ml of warm milk stir 1 tsp. honey and drink half an hour before bedtime
- Tomato juice. They add a little nutmeg and drink it before dinner, for 2 hours. The taste of the drink is peculiar, but it helps to sleep well.
The only thing is not to feel like a sick person, you should not reduce physical activity, succumb to depression.
Climax is a normal physiological phenomenon that cannot be avoided by any woman.
8. Insomnia on a diet.
No matter what, women are on a diet, which means you need to help them:
- Your diet should contain foods rich in vitamins C, B, calcium, zinc, magnesium,
- turn off the light, because by light the body will not produce the hormone melatonin, which is responsible for drowsiness and wakefulness,
- try to sleep without a pillow, so you unload the neck muscles,
- drink a night mint decoction through a straw, with pleasure, with slow sips. Such sucking will remind the baby's sleep reflex.
9. How to deal with insomnia in old age
In old age, people very often spend a sleepless night. First of all, it is necessary to create a calm atmosphere for an elderly person, to ensure the flow of fresh air into the room where he sleeps.
He needs to fall asleep at the same time, make a warm foot bath for the night or wear warm socks on his legs, have a pillow full of fresh hop cones.
An excellent remedy is to drink three teaspoons of poppy broth for the night.
How to prepare it: brew 200 ml boiling water over one head of the plant, leave for 20-30 minutes, then drink.
10. How to treat insomnia in men
What should a man do if he tosses from side to side all night. Tips are repeated, but you still need to drink less coffee, sit at the computer, move more, be in the open air, eliminate smoking and alcohol.
It is good to sniff valerian drops at bedtime. Start with three shallow breaths. Look at the reaction of the body: an overdose will respond headache.
Try still to put garlic under the pillow - an unusual, but effective method. How does she work? You need to put a few cloves or a whole head under the pillow. The aroma of garlic envelops and strengthens sleep, in the morning you will feel great.
Those people who have experienced this method, note the appearance of a good sleep, a surge of strength, the disappearance of pain in the heart, pressure surges.
Folk remedies will not help you if you do not throw all negative thoughts out of your head before going to bed.
After 6 pm try not to drink green tea and coffee, as these drinks have a high caffeine content. The same applies to sweets, as well as fatty foods - give up such food 2-4 hours before bedtime.
Try to be distracted and do not think about work or problems, read an interesting book or watch a funny movie. You have to learn to think positively, only this way you will get rid of problems with sleep.
11. What to do with insomnia at home
Well, the last tip from the well-known Ivan Neumyvakin. Maybe this is exactly what will help you?
At parting, I want to advise: find a natural remedy for you to do without drugs. Nature has long taken care of us.
Often it is stress, various experiences cause insomnia in a person. Having a nervousness during the day, such people cannot fall asleep at night. Sometimes they even see nightmares. What helps for insomnia?
Folk remedies listed below, can perfectly get rid of the nervous pathology:
- Reserve in advance the rhizomes of angelica. They need to be washed, dried and crushed. This powder, take 1 tsp. Pour a glass of boiling water. 40 minutes insist means, then strain it. The fluid should be divided into 3 parts. These are the portions that you need to drink in the morning, at lunch and before dinner.
- If you are tormented by nightmares, then you will be perfectly helped by the tincture of onion seeds on white wine. The ratio of the components is as follows: 25 g to 0.5 l. The tool should be infused in a dark and warm place for 10 days. Periodically it must be shaken. Strained infusion consumed every 4-5 hours, 1 tbsp. l., and always on an empty stomach.
Another, quite common reason for which a person cannot fully relax is a strong mental or physical exertion. How to cope with the effects of overvoltage?
Healers are encouraged to use the following recipes, and they know something that will help from insomnia:
- Collect the top of the blooming oats. Such a component, take 1 tbsp. l Pour the ingredient with a glass of boiling water. The tool should be infused all night in a thermos. In the morning, strain. Use the infusion on an empty stomach, 3-4 times a day, 150 ml. It is recommended to repeat this treatment for 3 days.
- Take the dried fruits of black currant and wild rose in the ratio: 1 to 1. The finished mixture will need 1 tbsp. l Component pour 400 ml boiling water. The tool must be infused for 6-7 hours in a thermos. But not more than 8 hours! The filtered medication is recommended to use 3-4 times a day, 100 ml. Take preferably in the form of heat. If you find it difficult to drink this remedy, you can add honey to it, but in no case sugar. Such an infusion will perfectly support the body and restore strength.
Ailment provoked by smoking and taking coffee
What will help from insomnia in this case? Конечно же, лучшей рекомендацией является отказ от чрезмерного потребления кофеиносодержащих напитков и избавление от курения.Unfortunately, it’s not always possible to follow such advice in life.
Therefore, consider what is good for insomnia caused by tobacco products and coffee drinks. So people will come to the aid of chamomile extract.
The tool is manufactured as follows. Drug chamomile (1 tablespoon) is filled with a glass of boiling water. All night means insist in a thermos. Use filtered medicine.
For therapeutic purposes, it is necessary to take an infusion of chamomile on an empty stomach, 4 times a day. Treatment should last 3 days.
Insomnia and headache
A person who did not get a good rest at night feels “overwhelmed” the next day. It is therefore not surprising that very often insomnia causes a headache. Is it possible to cope with such discomfort?
What helps from insomnia at home, if the pathology is accompanied by a headache? Folk healers provide many excellent recipes that can get rid of an unpleasant state. The following infusion is recognized as quite effective.
Mustard marsh marsh (2 tablespoons.) Pour 2 tbsp. boiling water. For 10-12 hours, insist in a thermos. Then strain the medicine. During the day, you need to use, every 3 hours, this tool, 100 ml. However, the medication should be 30-40 minutes before a meal.
This remedy effectively eliminate headaches. But remember, if there are no favorable results from the treatment, then it is quite likely that another disease is at the heart of the discomfort. In this case, you need to consult a doctor.
Unexplained cause of insomnia
It is much easier to deal with the pathology, if the sources that provoked it are known. Unfortunately, for insomnia, it is not always possible to establish the reasons underlying this discomfort. Sometimes there is a feeling that there are simply no factors causing this condition.
In such situations, medicine men recommend remembering which herbs help for insomnia:
- Cyprus and melissa. Each herb needs 100 grams. Take 2 tbsp. l the mixture.
- Thyme - 2 tbsp. l
- 100 grams of sweet clover combined with 75 g of dried hop cones and 75 g of motherwort. This mixture of herbs will need 2 tbsp. l
- Garden portulak - 2 tbsp. l
The above components, regardless of which recipe you choose, should be prepared as follows. Herbal composition pour 2 tbsp. boiling water and insist overnight in a thermos.
After straining use, every 3 hours, on an empty stomach the resulting product.
Do not forget about water treatments. Remember: if you are interested in what helps from insomnia, folk remedies are not limited to decoctions or infusions.
A great effect will be provided by a soothing bath taken before bedtime:
- You need to stock up on such dried herbs: linden, calendula flowers, valerian (it will be perfectly replaced by mint or lemon balm), chamomile flowers. Data components take 2 tbsp. l Brew the mixture with a liter of hot water. After 10 minutes, strain and pour into the bath. It is recommended to add a couple of lemon slices. A similar procedure should be carried out for 30 minutes before the rest. The duration of the bath - 15-25 minutes. It is recommended to repeat the event for 10 days.
- Essential oils are very helpful. Add 3-4 drops of orange ether to the filled bath. This water treatment will cope with insomnia and depression. You can add lavender, nutmeg, cinnamon and clove oil. But one should not introduce a lot of ether into the water. Per bath is allowed no more than 4 drops. Otherwise, you can provoke irritation on the skin.
What pills help for insomnia? Any person, without thinking, will answer: sleeping pills. However, they are not at all harmless. Some of them (for example, Phenobarbital, Phenazepam) cause mental and physical dependence in a patient. In addition, medications have contraindications.
Therefore, if you are plagued by serious problems with sleep, do not indulge in thoughtless experiments on your health. You need to consult a somnologist. Are you sure the doctor is still early?
Then pay attention to over-the-counter medicines that can normalize sleep quality.
It is a safe and effective drug that can normalize sleep. The drug is based on melatonin, a synthetic analogue of the “sleep hormone”, produced by the human body. The medicine provides fast falling asleep, reduces the number of awakenings, improves the quality of sleep. The drug does not provoke drowsiness during the day, has no effect on memory, attention and does not cause addiction.
You can apply the tincture or pills. The drug is different sedative and antispasmodic effects. The tool effectively eliminates various sleep disorders. The beneficial effect is slow, but stable. The drug is not intended for long-term use, as it provokes a decrease in pressure.
We continue to consider if you suffer from insomnia, which medications will help get rid of the unpleasant state. Pay attention to the tool "Dormiplant."
The drug is recommended for patients who have difficulty falling asleep, unpleasant dreams, frequent waking. The drug eliminates irritability, gratuitous anxiety, anxiety. However, the drug is able to reduce the reaction rate.
This is another effective tool. Does Glycine Help Insomnia? The drug perfectly eliminates aggressiveness, relieves psycho-emotional stress. It greatly facilitates the process of falling asleep, provides a full and quality sleep.
If insomnia in a child
Sometimes sleep problems occur at a young age. The kid, learning about the world around him, gets a lot of new information. This makes it impossible for him to relax and fall asleep normally. How to help your child with insomnia? Pediatricians recommend not using synthetic drugs for children.
Instead, the following activities will help normalize sleep:
- Day rest. Lunchtime sleep is one of the best remedies for insomnia.
- Folk remedies. These are effective methods for normalizing the process of falling asleep. Recommended aromabaths, decoctions of herbs. However, do not forget to consult with a pediatrician.
- "Sleepy" pillows. Place a small pad under the head of the child, filled with soothing herbs that ensure a normal and prolonged sleep.
Insomnia in pregnant
A woman preparing to become a mother may have a problem sleep. What helps pregnant women from insomnia:
- The use of folk remedies. Before resorting to them, be sure to discuss them with the doctor.
- Balanced diet. Choosing the right food will protect against violations of the digestive tract, which often interfere with proper rest.
- An evening walk. Fresh air saturates the body with oxygen and ensures good sleep.
- Bathing with oils or relaxing broths.
- Calm atmosphere before bedtime. It is recommended to watch positive or neutral films, reading books.
- The climate in the room. Pay attention to the room temperature. With high rates of quality sleep is not possible. It is best to relax in a room with an open window.
Now you know what folk remedies will help for insomnia. If necessary, you can use and drugs. But if you can not get rid of sleep problems, be sure to contact a specialist.
Let's start with the easiest and most pleasant ways to get rid of insomnia:
1. Get a massage
One of the most effective methods of dealing with insomnia is a light massage. It relaxes and stimulates the production of endorphins, which block the stress hormone. You can massage yourself. Massage your palms, fingertips. Do a facial massage. These simple procedures in 5-10 minutes will set you up for a peaceful sleep.
2. Food to help you sleep
Another nice and unexpected way to quickly fall asleep is to eat. Yes, yes, eat half an hour before bedtime, but certain foods and in small quantities. Choose what you like best: a glass of warm milk, a banana, a little turkey, a handful of dried dates, cheese. It's all about the amino acid tryptophan contained in these products. Tryptophan, entering the human body, is converted into serotonin - a hormone that causes a feeling of emotional well-being and relaxation.
A quick walk can contribute to a walk. Enough even calm walk around the house. During the walk, the body temperature will naturally increase a little, and when it starts to fall, you will want to sleep.
4. Keep your feet warm
Put on. socks. If it is warm - thin, if it is cool - terry, if it is cold - wool. It has long been observed that if the feet are warm, fall asleep faster.
5. Positive thinking
Just think of something good that always cheers you up. Often it helps.
6. Reception with a blanket
Try dramatically throw off the blanket. When it gets cold, take cover again. From the feeling of returning warmth and comfort you want to sleep.
7. Read a boring book.
Look or read something very boring. Remember how you could barely hold back a yawn at some lessons in school. What was the subject matter? Pull the textbook out of the back box and immerse yourself in reading.
8. Exercise to fight insomnia
For those who are completely desperate, there is an exercise that helps to fall asleep: lie on your back, stretch your arms parallel to your body and squeeze your fists tightly, while pulling your toes toward you. Happened? Hold this position for a few seconds, then slowly relax. Repeat 7-8 times.
Ways for those who still have not fallen asleep
If all of the above does not help, we turn to the following methods:
9. Take a bath
Make yourself a bath with valerian. Here is the recipe: take 100 grams of valerian root, pour boiling water with liter and cook for 3 minutes in a water bath, then remove from heat and cover with something on top. After 45 minutes, strain the infusion and enjoy. If you have a cat, do not let it close to the bathroom.
10. Lavender oil
Another plant to help sleep is lavender. Rub whiskey with lavender oil before going to bed.
Remember that sometimes insomnia can be a sign of serious illness. If you are not satisfied with the quality or duration of sleep for a long time, do not postpone the visit to the doctor - he will tell you what to do in case of insomnia in your situation.
Prevention of insomnia: what to do to solve the problem?
Here are some simple tips to help prevent insomnia and get rid of this problem:
- Take a warm bath a few hours before bedtime.
- Create a comfortable environment in the bedroom.
- If you live in a noisy part of the city, use earplugs, and a sleep mask will protect you from the light of the lantern under the windows.
- Do not dwell on the fact that you need to quickly fall asleep, better think about something pleasant.
- Do not overeat at night, much less drink alcohol, as well as coffee and tea. Try to eliminate sweets, they excite the nervous system.
- Turn off the lights, including in the corridor.
- Try to go to bed and wake up at the same time.
- Exercise during the day.
- Create your own bedtime ritual. Do not be afraid of the word "ritual". The idea is to perform the same sequence of actions every evening. That is, for example, you straighten the bed, then take a shower, then read a little and go to bed. And do it like this every night. Over time, these actions will automatically set you up for sleep.
If you follow these simple tips, you will have less problems with sleep. Goodnight!
How much should I sleep and when to go to bed?
In our article we will tell you how to go to bed correctly and how much time you need to spend on sleep.
What is it, the main signs, ways to prevent the disease.