Everyone tries to eat properly, eating a variety of fresh vegetables and fruits. However, many people forget that some products can not only benefit, but also harm. Onions also fall into this list. Of course, the benefits of it are much more than harm. However, the use of this product is strictly prohibited in the presence of certain diseases. Let's look at the topic "Onion - benefit and harm."
What onion is better to eat raw
Most often we have Spanish, or yellow onions. This variety is quite sharp, and its smell is very difficult to get rid of. Therefore, it is undesirable to eat it raw. If there is no other way out, then you can slightly marinate the product in vinegar or lemon juice, adding a small amount of sugar. White onion, more pleasant and soft to taste. It can be eaten raw.
What can harm onions
What is the harm of onions? Many believe that bad breath after drinking this product is a negative quality product. This is especially felt before meeting or going to work. Of course, the smell from the mouth should not be attributed to harm. This is just a feature of the vegetable.
The main harm of onions lies in the fact that its use has a negative impact on the work of the heart. It is worth noting that the product can cause an asthma attack, as well as increase blood pressure. This happens as a result of the onion irritating the nervous system.
The product in large quantities is prohibited with problems with metabolism, as it can increase the amount of gases and mucus. In addition, the product can cause severe discomfort and catch up with sleep. Do not use onion juice for instillation of the eyes, as you can severely damage the cornea.
Do not use this vegetable to those who suffer from diseases of the liver or heart. Onions have a negative effect on their work.
You can get rid of bad breath very quickly. To do this, there are many methods. One of them is roasted walnuts or parsley. It is enough just to chew these products. You can also eat a crust of fried bread. If onions have been eaten a lot, then the above methods are unlikely to help you.
If you need to chop a vegetable, then to reduce itching, burning and tearing you can resort to the following method - let a small stream of water from the tap and moisten the working knife while cutting onions.
Bow against cold
Onion bulb, the benefits and harm of which many have known for a long time, has a huge number of useful properties. First of all, the juice of this vegetable is a natural antibiotic. Regular use of onions in raw form protects the body from colds. As part of the product contains volatile production, which not only strengthens the upper respiratory tract, but also able to fight against sore throat viruses. In addition, onion juice can kill bacteria such as tuberculosis, dysenteric and diphtheria sticks, and streptococci.
To combat colds, as well as to prevent flu, experts recommend sniffing onions about once every seven days. It is worth noting that the product contains vitamin C, which perfectly strengthens the immune system. Fresh onions are able to meet the needs of our body for vitamin deficiency.
Diseases and onions
Onion bulb, the benefits and harm of which many will become known after reading the article, helps purify the blood, activates all metabolic processes, removes excess fluid from the body, stimulates the digestive process. This product contains quercitin. This trace element perfectly resists cancer. That is why it is widely used in oncology. In addition, the bow perfectly copes with a headache. It is enough just to smell the sliced vegetable and the tablets can be discarded.
Cosmetology and bow
It is worth noting that the benefits of onions for women are also obvious. The composition of green leaves is a lot of carotene. This element has a positive effect on the skin. Very often, onions are used in cosmetology to cleanse various stains on the face. To get rid of freckles, you need to wipe the skin with a freshly cut head of this vegetable cut in half daily.
The benefits of leeks
Leek has many positive properties, as well as onion red onions. The advantage of this product is that it contains magnesium, sodium, iron, phosphorus and calcium. As a result, onions can be said that not only is a useful, but also a nutritious product. It is worth noting that the leek cleans the blood better than other varieties. In alternative medicine, this product is used as a basis for anti-atherosclerosis agents.
Other useful qualities of onions
According to scientists, the use of onions for the body is much more than harm. Indeed, 150 grams of this product contains the daily intake of vitamins A and C, the fifth part of the daily intake of calcium and potassium. These components improve the functioning of a healthy heart, as well as strengthen the skeletal system.
It is worth noting that onion contains a lot of sugar. This component in this product is more than in apples and pears. If you decide to sit on a diet, then do not exclude onions from your diet. After all, this vegetable is also considered an excellent fat burner. Specialists have developed a special diet that is based on the daily use of onion soup.
Onions against pain
Very often, onions are used against the bite of wasps, the benefits and harm of which should be known to everyone. After the insect has stung, it is necessary to lubricate the bite with fresh juice. Apply this product and in the presence of an inflammatory process in the ears. Compresses of onions in this case can relieve pain. Means on the basis of onions are widely used for various inflammations and boils, as well as for wound healing.
Onion juice is often used against dandruff, hair loss, edema, herpes, rheumatic pains. It is enough to lubricate the problem area regularly. In addition, the product allows you to quickly adapt after changing the time zone. This tool is ideal for flight attendants and pilots. Of course, it is difficult to imagine a young and beautiful girl with bad breath. However, to resort to such a tool is easy at the end of the flight, when you can relax and have a good rest.
As you can see, onions have many positive qualities. Of course, there are contraindications. However, it is worth remembering that boiled or braised onions are not dangerous. In this form, it can eat all.
Why onions are good to eat raw
One of the reasons that this product is more effective in its raw form than in heat-treated is that the sulfur compounds contained in the essential oil provide the maximum benefit to human health. But when heated, they are partially destroyed. On the other hand, not all people can feel for themselves, than useful onions, eating it raw, due to the fact that it is poorly digested, and fresh onion juice can cause irritation of the digestive system. Therefore, there is a need to use these products, processed thermally, for example, baked onions in the peel. This method of cooking will save the maximum amount of nutrients in the vegetable and at the same time make it more fragrant and tasty.
Useful properties of onion for health
Onions, like garlic, belongs to the onion family and is also characterized by a high content of sulfur compounds, allyl sulphides, which are able to prevent increased blood clotting, and a wide variety of sulfoxides. This product is also rich in polyphenols and flavonoids, which have a huge impact on the health of the human body.
How useful onions - cancer protection
It turns out that this product is able to reduce the likelihood of developing some cancerous tumors even when a person consumes it in fairly moderate quantities - 1-2 times a week, although some researchers claim that the “moderate amount” is 5-6 times in seven days. The use of onions in your diet helps to reduce the risk of developing malignant tumors of the colon and rectum, ovaries and larynx. As for other types of cancer, including cancer of the esophagus and oral cavity, it is necessary to use this medicinal vegetable daily to reduce the likelihood of their occurrence.
According to the results of some research in this area, useful properties of onions, manifested to a greater extent when this product is combined with turmeric. Studies whose results were published in the American journal Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology, prove that the combination of these two products creates a so-called synergistic effect (increased efficiency) and reduces the size and number of precancerous polyps in the intestine, thereby reducing the risk of developing colon cancer. guts. Moreover, some scientists suggest that regular onion intake contributes to the detoxification of potential carcinogens.
How useful onions for bones and joints
Studies conducted on humans prove that this vegetable helps to increase bone density and is ideal for women during menopause, when bone density decreases significantly. Also, the daily use of onions in the weaker sex during menopause reduces the likelihood of hip fractures.
The useful onions in diabetes
The use of this product in large quantities can reduce the level of glucose in the blood due to the essential oil contained in it, allyl propyl disulfide, which increases the amount of free insulin. This is due to the fact that allyl propyl disulfide competes with insulin, another disulfide, in order to “occupy” the liver, and this, in turn, leads to an increase in insulin levels and, consequently, a decrease in blood sugar.
What else is useful onions
This vegetable is an excellent source of vitamin C, potassium, dietary fiber and folic acid. It also contains calcium, iron, and high-quality protein. Useful properties of onions caused by vitamins, micro-and macro-elements that are part of it. Let us consider in more detail how the use of this product can affect the state of human health.
Useful properties of onions
- Improves the condition of the mouth and teeth. Despite the fact that after eating onions, a person has an unpleasant odor from the mouth, this vegetable (in its raw form) contributes to the destruction of bacteria causing caries, and makes the teeth stronger and stronger.
- It has anti-inflammatory properties. Onions help prevent diseases caused by salmonella, intestinal and hay chopsticks.
- Promotes cleansing of the body. Vitamin C, cysteine and methionine in onions help eliminate toxic heavy metals like cadmium, lead and mercury from the body.
- It is used to treat urinary disorders. For patients suffering from a burning sensation during urination, the beneficial properties of onions are in alleviating these painful sensations.
- Promotes increased libido. For this, it is recommended to use one tablespoon of onion juice mixed with a spoon of ginger juice three times a day.
- Strengthens the cardiovascular system. Onions promotes good blood circulation and reduce high blood pressure, and, consequently, reduce the likelihood of developing heart disease and heart attack. In addition, the composition of the vegetable includes sulfur compounds that help red blood cells in the performance of their functions, as well as reduce the levels of triglycerides and cholesterol in the blood.
- Some people use onions to treat earache - by boiling the vegetable until soft and placing it in a tissue bag, they apply it to the sore spot.
- Used as a cough aid. Consuming a mixture of onion juice and honey in equal amounts alleviates sore throat and other symptoms.
In addition to the above properties, onions can be used to treat asthma (due to the antioxidant contained in it, quercetin), relieve pain after insect bites and toothache, and to treat anemia and other diseases.
The composition of onions
The beneficial properties of onions are due to the fact that this vegetable contains many beneficial substances, such as mineral salts, fats, proteins, phytoncides and amino acids. It also includes essential oils, which give the bow its characteristic smell. In addition, there are a lot of vitamins B1, B2, B5, B6, PP, B9, E and H. In the content of vitamin C, this vegetable can be compared with citrus fruits.
When you use 100 grams of onions, you can provide your body with the necessary daily dose of this vitamin, while its caloric content is only 40 kcal. This vegetable also contains such macronutrients as potassium, sulfur, phosphorus, chlorine, calcium, magnesium and sodium. It also contains trace elements, including fluorine, cobalt, iodine and chromium.
Onions are most useful, of course, in their raw form, since it is in this form that the largest number of substances that help cure many diseases, from the common cold to cancer, is stored in it. What are the beneficial properties for human health has onions?
1. Antibacterial. Onions - this is the first remedy for the prevention of colds, as it kills all the pathogenic bacteria that enter the oral cavity, and improves immunity. That is why it can be used to reduce toothache and prevent the development of caries.
2. Wound healing. Onions accelerate the healing of small wounds and burns. It also reduces inflammation by reducing the level of oxidative stress in various tissues of the body.
3. Strengthening the cardiovascular system. Sulfides and flavonoids, which are contained in onions, help to reduce cholesterol and triglyceride levels in the blood. In addition, these substances improve blood circulation and reduce blood clotting, preventing the formation of blood clots, which cause the development of strokes and heart attacks. Onion also normalizes blood pressure.
4. Strengthening bones and joints. Daily use of onions leads to an increase in bone mineral density and a reduction in the risk of fractures. This vegetable also reduces swelling of the joints, improving the symptoms of osteoarthritis.
5. Improving digestion. The fruit oligosaccharides that make up onions stimulate digestion, increasing the number of beneficial bacteria in the stomach.
6. Improving reproductive function. Despite its unpleasant smell, onion is an excellent aphrodisiac. It increases libido, both in men and women. This vegetable also contributes to increasing sperm activity and improving sperm production.
7. Improving blood glucose control. Eating onions can help diabetics improve their condition, as it reduces blood glucose and promotes insulin production.
8. Anti-cancer properties. Sulfides and other substances contained in onions prevent the development of malignant tumors, such as cancer of the stomach, larynx, mammary gland and prostate gland.
9. Cleansing properties. This vegetable stimulates the flow of bile and the elimination of toxins and heavy metals (mercury, cadmium and lead) from the body.
Contraindications to the use
Despite the many beneficial properties of this vegetable, there are contraindications. Raw onions should not be used by people with such diseases:
- gastric and duodenal ulcer,
- urolithiasis disease,
- metabolic disease,
- liver disease.
Onion Husk Properties
Not only peeled onions are good for humans. Onion Husk also contains vitamins E, C, B and PP. It consists of flavonoids, antioxidants, sulfur compounds, magnesium, calcium, iodine and phosphorus. A decoction of onion peel has healing effects, such as:
Do not use the onion peel to diabetics, children under 12 years old, people with low blood pressure and poor metabolism, as well as those who suffer from a stomach ulcer and other diseases of the gastrointestinal tract.
Doctors claim that the beneficial properties without chemicals grown onions are due to the fact that it contains a lot of substances necessary for human health:
- Vitamins (the so-called ascorbic acid, tocopherol and many others),
- Minerals (compounds of glands and fluorine, potassium and phosphorus, sodium and zinc, as well as calcium and iodine),
- Фитонциды – химические соединения с противомикробным действием,
- Натуральные сахара (в виде глюкозы, инулина, фруктозы),
- Пищевые волокна, благотворно воздействующие на пищеварение,
- Дубильные вещества и эфирные масла,
- Антиоксиданты и органические кислоты.
The presence of these and other substances in the composition of modern varieties of onions make it a real natural healer, able to assist in the healing of a number of ailments that have a preventive effect, strengthen the body.
Why is the onion so sharp?
The pungent smell of onion, which causes tears during the cutting of this root, as well as its characteristic sharp bitter taste, are due to the high content of special essential oils with phytoncides. These compounds, characterized by high volatility, can boast the most powerful antimicrobial and antiviral properties, and also play the role of antiseptics. It is enough to leave only one cut onion in the room in order to clear the air of pathogens that are dangerous to humans - viruses, infections, microscopic fungi, bacteria.
Unfortunately, especially if you take into account the useful qualities of onions, it is not for all people to take it for food or for other purposes. Of course, the value of this vegetable is very high, but you need to understand that each person has its own characteristics. The generally accepted list of contraindications includes:
- Liver disease
- High blood pressure - onions are dangerous in hypertension,
- Asthma - a sharply smelling vegetable can cause another attack,
- Ulcers - caustic essential oils provoke inflammation of the mucous membranes,
- Problems with metabolism.
Fortunately, all these warnings are only relevant for raw onions. While in boiled, fried or stewed form, this bitter vegetable is absolutely harmless to any person, and at the same time it retains many useful properties.
Unpleasant smell of onions
A characteristic feature of the use of onions in food is a persistent unpleasant odor from the oral cavity, which lasts for several hours in a row. Killing it with chewing gum or brushing your teeth is quite difficult.
Almost completely get rid of the unpleasant onion smell allows parsley or walnut, but only if it has been eaten in relatively small quantities. Therefore, before an important meeting, it is recommended to abstain from eating vegetables.
Treatment of colds
Inhalation of vapors of freshly chopped or grated onion grater, as well as its use as food in baked and other forms, has long been considered an effective folk remedy for treating such processes in the respiratory tract as:
Especially effective onion treatment is considered in the early stages of colds - in this case, recovery may occur within a few hours. It is enough to breathe onions for a quarter of an hour 3-7 times a day, with the mouth and nose alternately. At the same time, the pathogenic microorganisms located in the respiratory tract are destroyed, and the overall immunity is strengthened.
Onions and cold sore throats
A frequent companion of diseases such as the common cold is the sore throat. Irritation and pain can be easily removed with onion juice mixed with lime, raspberry, forest or any other natural honey in equal parts. The tool must be taken 4 times a day, one standard teaspoon of 5 ml. This is best done after a meal - in this case, healing will take much less time.
Onion Husk Against Diseases
An excellent remedy for a number of ailments is onion peel, namely, strong broths and infusions made from it. With its help, fungal diseases of the nails are effectively treated - it is enough to keep the affected legs or hands in a container with a ready decoction for at least half an hour every day.
Taking the infusion of the husk inside, you can get rid of cramps in the limbs - just take a spoonful of washed and crushed raw materials, dissolve it in a glass of hot boiling water, insist to a warm state, carefully strain through clean gauze and consume overnight.
A decoction of bitter onion peel is a proven folk remedy that facilitates the treatment of kidney diseases such as cystitis or nephritis. 3 spoons of prepared raw materials are boiled for 60 seconds in 400 milliliters of water, and then infused to cool for 30 minutes. The resulting liquid is filtered from debris and is taken in doses of 3 spoons up to 4 times per day.
Onions and viral diseases
Everyone knows literally from early childhood - fresh onions are considered to be an excellent means for treating or preventing one of the most common diseases in the cold season of the year - ARVI. Placing several finely chopped onions in different places of your home, you can significantly reduce the risk of infection of family members with viral infections, because the phytoncides contained in this vegetable clean the air in the room from pathogens. Putting a plate with onion gruel near the bed of the patient, you can significantly speed up his recovery.
How is onion useful for the human body?
Any onion varieties are rich in trace elements such as vitamins A, B, C, E, as well as folic and ascorbic acid. These substances are needed by the body in order to function properly. At the same time, the onion caloric content, depending on the variety, ranges from 45 to 60 kcal for every hundred grams of product.
Consider the beneficial properties of onions, depending on the type.
Considering what is useful onions, just pay attention to the effect this vegetable has on the body:
- strengthens the immune defense
- warns of anemia,
- restores metabolic processes
- normalizes the work of the heart and blood vessels
- stimulates the functionality of the brain,
- strengthens bone and dental tissues
- ensures the normal functioning of the liver, kidneys and thyroid,
- has an antioxidant effect,
- relieves inflammation
- fights tumors
- dilates blood vessels.
In addition to internal use, onions are used externally. The juice of this useful vegetable has a positive effect on the condition of the skin, hair and nails.
In addition, it has the following properties:
- inhibits pathogens and viruses,
- improves blood circulation and blood composition
- helps food digest and assimilate better
- stimulates immunity
- beneficial effect on the reproductive system.
Also, the use of green onion feathers helps to cope with insomnia and improve the quality of sleep.
Shallot is an artificially bred variety of onions, the distinctive feature of which are small onions and abundant greens.
It has such useful properties:
- enriches the blood with potassium and sodium, which contributes to the improvement of the heart and the normalization of blood pressure,
- helps break down fats and stimulates the digestive system
- relieves blood from toxins and "bad" cholesterol,
- strengthens bone tissue, teeth and nails,
- has an antioxidant and tonic effect,
- improves memory and sleep
- positive effect on the organs of vision.
On a note. Shallots are not able to restore vision or cure any eye disease, but the active substances present in it have a positive effect on the cells of the organ, and for this reason it is recommended to use this vegetable for ophthalmic problems.
This product affects the body as follows:
- stimulates metabolism,
- improves digestion
- helps in the fight against worms,
- neutralizes viruses and infections
- lowers blood sugar,
- removes toxic substances
- fights swelling and allergies,
- restores the nervous system,
- has a rejuvenating effect on the body.
Anthocyanins contained in red onions, which give it a rich hue, are able to fight cancer and destroy cancer cells.
These components have such an effect on the body:
- stimulate immunity
- eliminate allergic manifestations,
- clean the intestines
- improve the condition of blood vessels and capillaries,
- destroy the parasites
- slow the growth of benign and malignant tumors,
- strengthen hair, teeth and nails.
Attention! Broths and tinctures of onion peel increase blood clotting, so they should not be taken by people prone to thromboembolism.
Consider how to use it in the treatment of various conditions:
- Cough. Mix onion head, crushed to a state of gruel, with warm fat in equal proportions and drink once a day with a teaspoon, and rub with a mixture of neck, back and chest.
- Runny nose Combine onion gruel with an equal amount of chopped soap, goat or cow's milk and 5 ml of alcohol. Then warm the composition in a water bath and cool. The resulting tool must be moistened with cotton swabs and enter their nasal passage.
- Whooping cough and bronchitis. Scroll in a meat grinder 500 g of onion, mix with an equal amount of sugar and 100 g of honey. The resulting composition diluted with a liter of water and cook for about 3 hours, and then strain, pour into a bottle and clean in the cold. It is necessary to drink this remedy 3 times a day in a tablespoon, heated slightly before ingestion.
- Atherosclerosis and hypertension. Grind the onion, mix with a small amount of honey and use gruel three times a day in a tablespoon
- Diabetes. Grind a large onion, add 0.5 liters of boiling water and leave for 8-10 hours. Drink decoction 100 ml 3 times a day.
- Problems with digestion and hemorrhoids. Squeeze the juice from the bulbs and drink a tablespoon 3 times a day. It is better to prepare fresh remedy for each reception.
- Tumor diseases and scurvy. Add feathers and cutting onions in first and second courses, or eat separately in large quantities.
- Inflammatory processes and parasitic diseases. Boil 10 onions cut in half in 600 ml of water, then strain and drink the broth on an empty stomach 100 ml for 7-10 days.
- Otitis and ear plugs. Mix onion juice with vodka in the ratio of 4: 1 and bury in the ear canal three times a day.
- Bruises and sprains. Grind the onion head to a state of gruel, add honey or granulated sugar, wrap in gauze and pinch to the place of damage.
- Dandruff and weak hair. Daily rub the juice from the onion into the scalp for 30 days.
- Freckles and age spots. Wipe your face with onion juice mixed with purified water every evening.
- Fading skin and wrinkles. Mix onion gruel with honey in a 2: 1 ratio and apply a mask on your face for 20 minutes.
Attention! In no case can not bury the funds on the basis of onions in the eye, it will cause severe burn mucous.