The kid is not only joy for parents, but also a lot of trouble, which takes up all his free time. To feed, entertain, tell a fairy tale before bedtime - all these are the standard duties of each parent, but when to wean a child from a pacifier is not a simple question. After all, for him this thing is the most interesting and reassuring. Thanks to the pacifier, parents can rest for at least 5 minutes in order to meet the needs of their offspring with new forces.
Why does the baby get used to the nipple
The newborn has several reflexes, the main one being sucking. In fact, it is because of him that the baby can develop normally in the future.
Some babies calm down when they are applied to their breasts, so they can do it quite calmly without a pacifier. But there are also such babies who cannot control the reflex and pull anything into the mouth if there are no nipples there. With such restless babies, parents have much more trouble, because the chances of bringing infection into a small organism are quite large.
Often there are situations when it is necessary to wean a child from a pacifier, but the child does not agree to this. Doctors presented three main problems in which it is very difficult to part with your beloved nipple:
- Not fed up kids. This category includes babies who, from birth, lacked breastfeeding or were completely absent. Because of this, the sucking reflex cannot be satisfied naturally, and the craving for the "subject of sucking" is becoming more and more.
- "Flukes". Recently, only 3-4% of such individuals have been found. In fact, these children are special, because they know the world with the help of taste sensations. They like to take in their mouths toys, paper and any other objects - this is their natural need, which must be met.
- Survived by injury. If the baby has had a chance to survive a long-term illness, then he can stick to the nipple quite strongly, because he did not calm him down during the most difficult times. Therefore, even after recovery, the pacifier remains for the child the best and most loyal friend.
In general, the baby gets used to the baby's dummy for various reasons, but how much wean the child from the baby's dummy - every parent must understand it independently.
Is a dummy harmful?
As already mentioned, not all parents can easily wean the child from the nipples. Therefore, the question arises: "Is it necessary to wean a child from a pacifier at all and does it bring harm?". Too caring moms are afraid that in the future the child will have problems with speech and he will not be able to correctly pronounce all the letters of the alphabet. In addition, there is also another precaution, which is the growth of ugly and crooked teeth, which, according to many parents, will contribute to constantly nipple in the mouth.
In fact, doctors do not confirm these theories, although there is another precaution - children who are accustomed to a dummy are not at all interested in the world around them, so they can grow closed in themselves and less sociable than other children.
The theory of crooked and ugly teeth, of course, is not true, but the bite can spoil quickly. Therefore, doctors recommend weaning the child, not only from the pacifier, but also from the fingers, which children often suck, replacing the selected nipple.
What is forbidden to do in the process of weaning
Not only young but also experienced moms can make a lot of mistakes during weaning. Therefore, before you understand at what age to wean a child from a pacifier, you should find out what you should not do:
- to spoil the nipple (often parents try to cut the pacifier, bend it, hold it on the fire, etc.) All this is done in order to make it unpleasant for the child to suck on it and he independently disaccustomed it. But few people think that the child may accidentally bite off a piece of spoiled soothing object, which is quite easy to do, and swallow it),
- Lubricate the pacifier with food additives (a worse method of weaning is to lubricate the nipple with mustard, pepper or salt). Here from the love of your own baby, even speech can not go. After all, not every adult can transfer such supplements. Moreover, a small organism is not adapted to such tastes. As a result, the child is waiting for a violation of the function of taste buds, throat spasm and edema. And smearing with sweet additions will spoil the teeth and only cause even more craving for the soother),
- shout at the baby (if the child cannot calm down and demands his nipple, then you should not raise your voice to him. After all, the child feels angry at his parents and begins to act up even more),
- wean during the period of illness (when a baby suffers a disease or teeth begin to be cut, a baby’s dummy is a universal way of help. During such periods it is strictly forbidden to restrict a child in a baby’s dummy, because this may lead to irreversible consequences).
If a "relapse" occurs
Weaning from the pacifier is quite a difficult process, so you need to know all the nuances so as not to harm the baby. Many parents have already decided for themselves when it is necessary to wean a child from a pacifier, but not all of them have considered possible complications that often appear after successful weaning.
The most frequent cases - the child quietly behaves in the next couple of days, and then again begins to demand his friend. At the same time, the psychological state worsens, and the child’s perseverance becomes stronger. If he does not cease to be irritated without a pacifier for 10 days, then it is necessary to purchase a new one and after some time repeat the weaning.
When an emergency abandoning of the pacifier is needed
Despite the fact that parents, with the help of doctors, have determined the exact time when to wean the child from the pacifier, emergency cases may also appear. In these situations, you do not have to wait for the “right day”, you will have to act quickly and with maximum efficiency. For example, a sufficiently adult baby does not want to let go of a dummy from the mouth and becomes very irritated when it is lost, then you should act immediately:
- Explain the situation. Without swearing and laughing it is necessary to tell the child in a calm tone that the nipple harms his teeth, makes it impossible to speak normally, and so on.
- Accidentally forget the "sedative" at home and the whole family to go, for example, to visit relatives or friends. In this case, the child will have to accept the loss, because he will not have the opportunity to go home and take it with him.
- Cut off a small part of the nipple (but so that the baby could not bite off a piece and swallow), and then explain in a comic form who spoiled it and how.
The best time to wean
The most appropriate time when wean the child from the pacifier, parents often decide on their own or consult a doctor. If there are no emergency situations, then the process can be started at any time, but this should be done smoothly, without causing harm to the unformed nervous system.
Weaning at the age of 2 years
The period when it is better to wean a baby from a pacifier starts from 2 months. From that moment until the first six months, he formed the first signs of full readiness for failure. The best option is to get rid of the nipples for up to 6 months, which will ensure the absence of many unnecessary problems. Adhering to a few straight rules, you will see that weaning will pass quickly and successfully:
- If a sedative is required only when it is in sight of the child, then the process of weaning can begin immediately.
- You can replace the pacifier with motion sickness, songs, fairy tales or any other actions that will calm you in the same way as the nipple did before.
During the period from 6 months to a year, the energy overwhelms, therefore, if you deprive the nipple, all actions will be directed to her return. To avoid trouble and deterioration of the situation, you should adhere to the following rules:
- During this period, drinking from a special baby cup will help you forget your sucking skills, and you can also start feeding not from a bottle, but give food on plates.
- It is allowed to give the pacifier only at the request of the child himself, it is not worth showing it just like that.
- Frequent games and walks will take the baby and he will forget about the need for a pacifier in his mouth. Interesting and educational toys can even contribute to the fact that the dummy will be transferred from children's hands to adults without any resistance.
If the baby has already celebrated his first full birthday and he was one year old, then you should not be upset. This period is also favorable for weaning, but you will have to exert more effort.
Parents should understand that it was they who showed their child a dummy, and the baby trusts these people most and during the period of weaning can’t understand why his best friend suddenly began to spend less time with him and why he became so harmful.
In the period from one to two years, the children are kind enough, so weaning can begin with offering to share a dummy with a passing dog or donate it to another child.
After 2 years
Sometimes it happens that weaning from the nipples did not work out as much as needed. It is not always easy to wean a child from a pacifier after two years of age. The easiest way is a normal conversation, in which you need to mention the need to leave a pacifier in the form of a game. If this option does not bring success, then you can regularly reduce the time spent nipples in the mouth. This will take more time, but the result will be successful.
How and at what age to wean the child from the pacifier - it has already been said above. But these methods may not be enough if the whole family is not involved in the process. Each family member invests in the development of the child something of his own, which will help him develop further. Therefore, weaning from the pacifier should take place with the participation of the whole family, in compliance with all the rules.
Recommendations and advice of professional psychologists will help in those moments when it will be necessary to wean a child from a pacifier. For example, a child who is in need of a nipple, in an active state, says that the cortex of his brain is tense and she urgently needs relaxation. Therefore, a dummy will prevent information from being memorized. In such situations, it is necessary to distract him from the calming object as quickly as possible and begin to explore the world with the baby.
Recommendations experienced mummies
Not all parents know how much it is necessary to wean the child from the pacifier, so they are interested in other mummies, who have already passed this difficult period. Some could not even accustom to the nipple, so these children could control themselves and refuse it. Others advise starting the process of weaning from 5 months, because it is at this age that the sucking reflex itself begins to fade. The main thing here is not to miss the moment. Also, parents note that it is necessary to distinguish the crying and screaming of the baby, when it needs a sedative or it just hurts him. Indeed, often a dummy distracts the child from pain, but then health problems arise, which is very difficult to get rid of.
In order for the baby to grow up healthy and less capricious, it is necessary to spend more time with him. Then his development will strive upwards, together with his parents he will make discoveries and grow into a full-fledged and interesting person.
Why do you need weaning from the nipples
Before weaning a child from a pacifier, it is important to understand what is the harm of this childish habit. In fact, such a sucking reflex, while maintaining up to 3 years, can cause a number of complications in the child’s body, so this is required to be promptly abandoned. To facilitate the decision of parents, it's time to find out what harm the nipple and the bottle to the little tomboy. The negative points are:
- anatomical malocclusion,
- malnutrition against the background of sucking a pacifier,
- reduced sucking reflex
- the risk of infection of the oral cavity due to unhygienic care of the pacifier,
- inhibition of the psychomotor development of the child.
When to wean a child from a pacifier
The first months of life help the nipples is invaluable, because the constant sucking reflex helps the baby to sleep peacefully at night, instills emotional restraint, suppresses an acute attack of pain during planned teething. Being interested in when wean a child from the nipples, parents and doctors come to the logical conclusion that it is better to do this at the age of 3-9 months. This is explained by the absence in the children's body of a steady dependence on the sucking reflex. In practice, the optimal period is 1 year.
How to wean from the nipples method of smooth failure
So that the process of disaccustoming is painless, parents choose gradual weaning of the crumbs from the pacifier. This is the advice of many children's doctors (including Komarovsky), which in practice does not always remain effective and reliable. If adults are satisfied with this option, it's time to clearly adhere to the recommendations below on how to wean the baby from sucking the pacifier:
- Encourage the child to abandon the pacifier in the daytime, leave it only for sleep. Excommunication from the nipples can occur in a playful way, the main thing is to entice the baby and explain the new rules to the baby. At first, the actions are initiativeless, but then the kid will get used to leaving his “girlfriend” alone in the daytime.
- Offer the toddler a decent replacement, for example, the baby gives the pacifier, and the parents read a fascinating tale before bedtime, but rather two. When the crumb puts a finger in his mouth, the baby should not be stopped for the first time, in this way he gets used to new conditions, looks for a temporary replacement to maintain the already familiar sucking reflex.
- Much depends on the age at which the baby is weaned from the pacifier. If the child is already one year old, he can gently explain the harm to the pacifier and persuade him to change, and the breast child is better to just wean him from the usual reflex, and to do it abruptly, unexpectedly for the baby.
- It is necessary to take a pacifier before evening bathing so that the water procedure will distract the child from whims, tears, and indignation. This is the first advice of pediatricians, and after bathing, all that remains is to gently rock the baby, tell him a favorite fairy tale or sing lullabies as a diversion.
How to wean from a pacifier by the method of sharp failure
If the child does not agree to change, demonstrates open protest, parents should take radical measures to quickly eliminate this "bad habit." The baby’s dummy is to be taken away, and the little one is weaned from the eternal search for the sucking reflex. First, he will pull his fingers into his mouth, then toys and other foreign objects. The situation is dangerous - it's time to use traditional methods:
- Before weaning a baby from a pacifier, it is necessary to monitor its mood and choose the most favorable period. You should not do this when teething, in the case of infectious and viral diseases with impaired temperature.
- Dr. Komarovsky against psychological trauma, therefore, does not recommend hiding the nipple. It is better to explain the child its harm and just throw it together in the trash. If the toddler is not ready for loss, you can offer him to donate this thing to a familiar newborn, to whom it is clearly more necessary.
- Seeing the tears of the crumbs, some parents can give up and return him a pacifier. Then wean him out of his bad habit will be much more difficult. It's time to show imagination, to tell the story of a magical fairy, who took the nipple into the country of small children at night. If you beautifully describe your imagination, the baby will believe his parents and survive the loss painlessly.
- If adults do not know when it is necessary to wean a child from a pacifier, then a year is the best period for abruptly getting rid of a bad habit. It is necessary to explain that the nipple is lost, moreover, to turn her search into a family game. The child will have fun with his mom and dad, after which he will forget about the loss. What time to wean the child from the pacifier, the decision is purely individual.
How can not wean from pacifiers
Dr. Komarovsky is against all violent measures, since any careless actions of the parents can create psychological trauma in the mind until the end of life. There are those forbidden methods that are categorically contraindicated for medical reasons. This moment is important to consider when you want to wean the crumbs from the eternal sucking reflex. Prohibited:
- silicone lubrication with mustard, pepper, vodka, vinegar,
- violent withdrawal of silicone from children's hands,
- lack of reaction to a child’s tantrum,
- parent cries during weaning,
- demonstrative damage to the pacifier in the eyes of the karapuz,
- deceptive methods, mockery of the baby,
- рассказы страшилок про соски, которые могут превратиться в страшных монстров.
Когда соску пора забрать
Многие психологи рекомендуют начинать отучать малыша от соски начиная от трех месяцев и до года. Не стоит затягивать с решением, главное выбрать благоприятный момент и приложить максимум своих усилий. А для этого придется выполнить следующие рекомендации:
- Больше проводить с ребенком времени,
- In the daytime you need to constantly walk with him, show everything new and play with toys,
- After falling asleep the nipple needs to be removed from the mouth and put it next to the crib,
- Never offer your child the nipple yourself, and remove it from his eyes during the day.
Causes of addiction
Reflex sucking - one of the most important for the newborn, moreover, it is a natural necessity. That is why when a child is born, physicians must check this stereotypical reaction.
If the sucking reflex is at an optimal level, the baby will be well “get” milk and develop optimally. Otherwise, experts make a conclusion about physiological or neurological disorders.
A child who is exclusively breastfed and receives breast on demand, can suck the mother's nipple almost around the clock. Thus, he not only eats up, but also satisfies his sucking reflex. In this case, dummy is not needed.
However, in practice, such a frequent need to give the baby a breast is very exhausting to a woman who is already tired after childbirth. She begins to overwork, get annoyed, which ultimately can have a negative impact on the baby. As an exit: a dummy to satisfy the desire to suck the nipple.
In such a situation, the silicone accessory becomes a good helper for the mother, and for the baby a simulator, a sedative and a means to satisfy important basic needs.
A dummy is not always needed, so you should not introduce the child to it if:
- a woman is ready to give the newborn a breast whenever it needs to satisfy the sucking reflex,
- baby spits out a silicone device,
- the child calms down easily and stops crying as soon as his attention is distracted by something interesting (for example, a toy).
Thus, the child's addiction to the nipple is due to both physiological (sucking reflex) and psychological (means of sedation) reasons. And the first factor gradually flows over time into the second, only strengthening the attachment.
The advantages of nipples
Despite the skepticism of some mothers, experts highlight a number of obvious positive points from the use of an infant pacifier.
- The main advantage of the nipples - the ability to quickly soothe the child. When he is naughty, unwell, agitated, the dummy quickly relaxes and brings long-awaited peace to all members of the household. She also helps the baby to fall asleep faster.
- The nipple will allow you to distract the crumbs when performing various unpleasant procedures, for example, with routine vaccination.
- A dummy can help, if it is necessary to limit the child in the use of milk or artificial mixture (for example, with an overweight baby), while not reducing the sucking reflex.
- Silicone device allows the child to more easily transfer the flight on the plane and reduces the discomfort that is caused by pressure drops. Sucking the pacifier also reduces the congestion of the ears when flying.
- The dissatisfaction of the sucking reflex makes the baby pull the fingers, diaper or blanket in his mouth. In this case, sucking the nipple is the best way out of the above.
- It is believed that the nipple can significantly reduce the risk of sudden infant death syndrome. Design features (ring and vents) will allow air to enter the lungs, even if the child gets entangled in a blanket.
Some parents may shrug their shoulders in amazement and ask the quite justified question: if everything is so good, then why bother to disaccustom the child from sucking the pacifier at all?
In fact, all the advantages are easily leveled by the negative influence of the nipple on the development of babies when it is too long to use. So, experts identify several significant negative aspects of the use of silicone pacifiers.
- the formation of the wrong bite,
- delayed speech development and improper pronunciation of hissing sounds by the baby,
- delayed cognitive development,
- insufficient involvement of the child in interaction with peers,
- psychological infantilism,
- infectious lesion of the oral cavity (stomatitis, candidiasis), resulting from insufficient treatment of the pacifier.
The prerequisites of the undesirable consequences described above, as the popular pediatrician considers, are rooted in poor heredity, poor state of nature, individual physiological and psychological characteristics of the child.
And yet, most experts recommend to get rid of sucking the pacifier, so as not to disturb children's development. After all, this silicone object is no longer necessary for the grown-up child, but the important action first goes into the category of annoying harmful habit.
When is it time to wean the baby from the pacifier?
There is a certain pattern: it is more difficult for an adult child to part with his beloved dummy. And since the baby himself does not want to abandon the "silicone friend", then it is the parents who must make a decision in principle and choose a painless way to refuse the nipple.
At what age should we start weaning? Many experts are convinced that the easiest way to cope with the habit, until the child is 12 months old. This is explained by the fact that it is easier to switch the attention of a one-year-old baby to other objects than children at 2 or 3 years old.
Childhood begins to change as the child experiences taste sensations unfamiliar before, learning new feeding rules. Parents switch the baby’s attention from the nipple to the bright dishes: drinking bowls, cups, spoons.
Weaning from a tired nipple at 2 or 3 years old is somewhat more complicated for the following reasons:
- silicone nipple sucking habit takes root,
- begins the notorious crisis of three years, when a child is trying to do the opposite.
On the other hand, the 3-year-old child is already able to understand some of the maternal arguments, therefore, with a skillful approach, you can agree with him, playing on the motive of independence, adulthood and the desire to help young children.
Is it possible to meet a 6 or 7-year-old child in Russia, sucking a pacifier? Most likely no. In your power to cope with this addiction, choosing the most painless and most suitable way, even before the kid goes to kindergarten.
To disaccustom different painlessness and lack of stress, you can spend a few weeks on it. At the same time it is necessary to adhere to the following useful recommendations.
- Remove the nipple from sight during the day, leaving only for the night. And so that the child does not miss his “silicone buddy”, fill in the children's day with various games, watching cartoons, etc.
- Do not take the pacifier with you on the street. If the crumb cry during a walk, try to distract his attention with the help of flying birds, running cats, passing cars. Scold the baby, of course, impossible.
- At first, the baby sleeps with a dummy, however, gradually and it is necessary to give up this habit. When falling asleep, read fairy tales, sing lullabies. Then offer to remove the pacifier and put it on the pillow.
- If the child is against, offer an exchange: a pacifier for the beloved bear. The baby still fell asleep with the nipple? While he is snoozing, remove the silicone accessory. Gradually, the baby will get used to sleep without a pacifier.
Do not forcefully remove the nipple from the child’s mouth, if he categorically does not want to part with it. Such an action will not cause understanding on his part, on the contrary, only hysteria is waiting for parents.
In order to not harm the child in this difficult period, you need to adopt one of the following options.
- Get an envelope, write on it an arbitrary address, for example, “Fox of the Fairy Forest”. Then put the dummy in the envelope, seal it and give it to dad so that he “carries” the important mail to the post.
- Modification of the way - “give” a dummy to a little cousin or a neighbor's newborn baby. Naturally, this situation should be discussed in advance with the baby's mother.
- If the baby categorically does not want to give someone his dummy, you can simply get rid of it, together throwing it into the trash or river.
To wean a child from a pacifier at 2 years old, it is necessary after all these rituals to arrange a kind of celebration that marks maturity. If the child remembers the subject, it should be repeated that he has already grown and he does not need a dummy.
Sharp weaning is not welcomed by all specialists, but it does help in some situations. Especially if parents do not know how to quickly wean a child from a pacifier at 2 or 3 years.
Failure in 7 days
When you need to quickly and at the same time painlessly wean the child from the nipples, a method that moms actively share on numerous women's forums is suitable.
Apply this method in relation to children who are breastfed because mother will need to give crumbs to the breast.
The technique itself includes the following actions:
- during 5 days it is necessary to reduce the time of sucking the pacifier twice (the child sucks not half an hour, but 15 minutes),
- in the remaining 2 days, the dummy is offered only for the night and for the time of daytime sleep,
- the duration of sleep with a pacifier is reduced by 2 times, giving a breast after the silicone accessory,
- If the child persistently requires a pacifier, you should follow this scheme: you need to suck on the nipple for a few minutes - then suck on the nipple.
If the previous methods did not help and the parents do not know how to wean the child from the nipple and the pacifier, “Stop” comes to the rescue - a vestibular silicone orthodontic plate.
This device, made of hypoallergenic silicone, according to manufacturers, not only eliminates the addiction to the nipple, but also allows you to correct the existing wrong bite.
Silicone plate contributes to:
- preventing open bite,
- prevention of abnormal development of the lower jaw,
- getting rid of mouth breathing.
In order for a positive effect to be noticeable, it is necessary to put this plate on the child for several weeks, making sure that he does not push the pacifier or the finger into his mouth.
Wrong actions and ways
Together with the questions of how much time to start getting rid of a bad habit and how to wean a child from a dummy correctly, you need to remember about unwanted actions that can only delay the process and harm the child’s psyche. What should you refrain from?
- Do not wean the child from the nipples when he is sick, not in the best mood, adapts to the kindergarten. During such periods, the baby already feels unimportant, and the imposition of several stresses will only aggravate the problem,
- Do not force the baby to give the pacifier. If your child is the owner (and this is almost always the case), then forcing him to give his object to another child is highly undesirable. If the kid is greedy, find another way to wean,
- Do not smear the nipple with bitter substances. Mustard, hot pepper, lemon juice and aloe not only give a lot of unpleasant emotions, but also can lead to allergies. In addition, forgetting the bitter taste, the baby may require the return of the pacifier,
- Do not scold the kid. You can not say that he roars, crybaby, etc. 2 - 3-year-old child is already a bright personality, so there is no need to reduce children's self-esteem with such impartial words and name-calling,
- Do not damage the pacifier. Some mommies cut off the tip of the nipple so that the baby is not comfortable sucking it. But a cut dummy can lead to suffocation if the baby bites off a piece of silicone and chokes,
- do not offer gifts. The matured child will quickly realize that you can get something valuable for refusing the soother, and will begin to demand toys and sweets. You can encourage the child later, when he will definitely give up the nipple,
- Do not wean when teething. This process is painful. A nipple reduces the severity of pain. Along the way, you can and should give the child a special cooling teether.
A bored dummy and how to wean a child from her - it excites many parents. Browsing maternal forums allows you to choose the most useful tips that will quickly cope with a bad habit.
- When the introduction of complementary foods begins, you can give the child a nibbler instead of a nipple. This device is a mesh or silicone container with holes into which grated fruits or vegetables are put. Baby will suck nibbler, gradually forgetting about the pacifier.
- For an older child, get a brass musical instrument: a harmonica, a pipe or a whistle. The only disadvantage is that not many parents are able to withstand such peculiar musical accompaniment.
- Try to load the child as much as possible: physically and emotionally. Walk longer on the street, play actively at home, then bathe the baby in the bathroom with lavender oil (if you are not allergic) and put him to sleep. Charter, baby and do not remember the nipple.
- Teach children to drink from a cup, feed from a spoon. This will help gradually wean off not only from the nipples, but also from the bottle with the mixture. After all, the habit of these two devices develops in parallel.
- Another tip - wean from the nipples in the game activity. In the process of disaccustoming more play, let's different balls, rodents, teethers. No need to remind or give a pacifier, even if the crumb began to cry. Return is possible if he insists on her asking.
- How to wean a baby to sleep with a dummy? Create in your child a new ritual of calm before falling asleep, in which there will be no empty seat. It could be a new song, reading a book, swinging on pens, bathing with beautiful toys.
Be sure to read the useful recommendations of a psychologist, which relate to how to teach a child to drink from a mug.
Another useful and informative article on how to wean a child from the breast. The pediatrician will describe the psychological and medical ways of taking a baby from the breast.
In the process of weaning from the pacifier, do not consider the opinions of neighbors or grandmothers at the entrance, but the individual characteristics of your child. Only in this case you will be able to choose the most harmless way to get rid of such annoying silicone device.
Why do kids love dummy so much?
With breastfeeding, the child’s need for sucking is satisfied. During this process, a specific muscle group is activated. When breastfeeding, they work properly, leading to saturation. If a baby is fed with special mixtures from bottles, not the whole muscle group works, this is not enough to satisfy the reflex. Then the child sucks the breast like a nipple, spending a lot of strength while working more and more with muscles, trying to get enough of sucking. Without a mother's breast, the baby is not good at it, then he is naughty and crying. Usually in such cases, the parents offer their baby a pacifier. The child immediately calms down, because he was given the opportunity to satisfy his natural need.
If parents do not immediately pay attention to the vagaries, the baby is forced to look for a replacement for the maternal breast. As a rule, in her role act fingers, cheeks, tongue, toys, a blanket, in general, all that will be at hand.
Children are very attached to the pacifier (especially if the child constantly sucks the nipple), they consider it a favorite toy, a true friend, just an irreplaceable thing. Habit is a powerful engine, especially babies - they are also conservatives. They must have everything permanently and permanently. It is difficult for a baby to understand that the nipple will do harm when she has helped her calm down or fall asleep all her life. Therefore, the requirement of the dummy is the usual desire to return everything to its place.
Is sucking a pacifier harmful to the baby?
Dentists consider sucking a bad habit, which must be identified on time and then eliminated, otherwise a child may experience serious malocclusion. Of course, they are not found in all babies who receive artificial feeding, but in most cases, unfortunately, this is so.
During sucking the pacifier, the tongue is in the wrong position. His muscles remember, if a child sucks a nipple for a long time, because of this, in the future, the baby begins to snore at night.
But this does not mean that you need to urgently take away the baby's pacifier and never give it up again. Problems with the wrong bite can be avoided if you properly pick up the nipple and gradually reduce the time of her stay in the baby’s mouth.
At what age is it time to wean and why
Disputes around the pacifier does not subside for a minute. And not only experienced and novice moms argue, but also the experts themselves. On the one hand, the nipple is evil. It spoils the bite, which in turn entails the wrong pronunciation of sounds. In addition, the role is played by the psychological aspect: it is believed that the child occupied by her needs less knowledge of the world and develops worse.
On the other hand, the soother helps to realize the sucking reflex, thereby improving the child's appetite, and this is its main advantage. And yet, all children love to fall asleep with a dummy. If it is not, then the chest goes. This is not always convenient, say moms from experience. Например, если ребенок на улице захотел спать, придется искать укромное местечко, чтобы его подкормить и успокоить.
Подытоживая все вышесказанное, хочется отметить, что она нужна и важна, но до поры до времени. Знаете, когда нужно отучать от нее? По словам психологов, начинать следует уже с 3 месяцев. Тогда при условии правильно прилагаемых усилий, малыш полностью откажется от пустышки уже в год. Раньше лишать его любимой игрушки нельзя. Teeth will crawl, and the crumb will pull into his mouth all that falls under his arm.
By the way, these recommendations can not always be implemented in practice. There are children who by 2 - 3 months are just beginning to actively take the nipple. There are even later. There were precedents when the children took the nipple at the time of teething to scratch the gums.
It is interesting that when it comes to a dummy, it’s never too late to work against it. So, the optimal time for failure is up to a year. If you could not or did not have time, you can extend to one and a half years. The deadline for weaning is 2 years. There are, however, children who can not part with the nipple and later, but you should not be equal to them. Otherwise, the story, like my friends, can repeat.
It is believed that the main danger of a baby’s too long love for a baby's dummy is a damaged bite and various dental problems. Clearly this can be seen in the photo.
How to wean at a different age
According to psychologists, you cannot take your favorite toy up to a year, otherwise the child will experience severe stress. Teething teeth will aggravate the situation, because of which neither a crumb nor mother will sleep at night. At the same time, it is these specialists who assert that the first signs of readiness for refusal are observed at the age of 3-6 months. What are they like?
It is about situations when the baby throws the pacifier, as soon as he falls asleep, or does not think about it until he sees it. Of course, this does not mean that it is necessary to deprive an infant baby’s dummy overnight. He will feel the need for sucking, but less often. As a result, it will not be necessary to give him the nipple as often. Each time the time without it is important to extend.
To do this without harm to your own nervous system, it is important to take the crumbs with other things: a fairy tale, a lullaby, stroking, until he falls asleep. During the day you can be distracted by games, walks. It is believed that this is the period when it will be possible to quickly and easily wean a child from a pacifier. If the moment is missed, it's time to stock up on patience, you will definitely need it in the future.
From 6 months to 2 years
At the age of six months to 2 years old child forget about the nipple heavier. He understands a lot and perceives her sucking as an obligatory ritual before going to bed. In order not to harm, in no case should you take your favorite toy abruptly. This can cause severe stress in the baby, which is not surprising.
Now dummy for him - part of the familiar world. By selecting it, you are destroying this world and causing serious unrest, anxiety. The crumb does not think about the fact that the little thing can do harm, especially since mom once gave it to him.
The key to success is gradualism. To achieve it, psychologists recommend:
- Slowly remove the bottle, as soon as the crumb learned to drink from the cup. This usually occurs between the ages of 7 and 8 months. With the bottle will be forgotten and the nipple.
- Giving a favorite toy only when absolutely necessary. There are situations when the baby is naughty and the parents, in order to distract him, put a pacifier in his mouth. Needless to say that this is wrong, and you need to get rid of it.
- Provide the crumbs enough toys for games. Children at 1.5 years can take the nipple from boredom. If you now take them with new things that you can explore by touch, or even taste, the baby's dummy will lose paramount importance.
It is also important, as before, to make changes in the usual ritual, distracting from the sucking of the pacifier in other occupations.
How to wean you fall asleep with a pacifier
As already mentioned, to wean the crumbs to sleep with a pacifier, you only need to replace the obligatory ritual. Once again, putting him in the bed, switch attention to the fairy tale, which you need to tell in a sweet, lulling voice. Also suitable lullabies, stroking. It makes sense for an older child to offer to close his eyes and try to sleep without a pacifier.
The main thing is to wait for the first 20 - 30 minutes, keeping calm and not breaking on the child. With each subsequent day will be easier. The younger the child, the more painless everything goes. As a rule, everything about everything takes 3 - 5 days. So that the baby is less upset during this period, it is important only to exhaust him well during the day, and then just touching the pillow, he will fall asleep with a sound sleep.
At the age of 3, you can take the pacifier from the child in exchange for a toy, with which he can now sleep. She calms and lulls, in a word, will replace the beloved "antidepressant."
Interestingly, in extreme cases, if you do not give up the nipples on your own, it makes sense to turn to a dentist. Sometimes he picks up the vestibular plate. It is a product of elastic plastic with silicone pads for the chewing group of teeth. Its advantage is that it seems to satisfy both the reflex and is not reflected on the bite.
What not to do
Looking for information on how to properly wean from the nipples, I came across a lot of articles in which parents were advised not quite reasonable things. For example:
- Smear the pacifier with something bitter to provoke disgust in the crumbs. It is strictly forbidden to do this, since not even all adults are able to transfer mustard, pepper, garlic and other spices that come into use, but what can we say about the child. In addition, it is also unsafe. In recent years, the number of allergy sufferers has only increased, and the products described above can cause serious allergic reactions in them, up to swelling or spasm of the throat.
- Cut the soother. In general, violence against a favorite thing of a son or daughter, and even in front of his eyes, is fraught with, because children are too close to all take to heart. In addition, such actions can end badly, for example, if the child bites off a piece of rubber. At best, she will be in his stomach (agree that this is not the best place for her), and at worst, she will stick to the mucous throat, causing cramping and choking.
- Shout at the child or get angry when he asks for his beloved “sedative” to be returned. This does not help the cause, but only hurts, and the baby will cry harder. The surest way is to distract, entice with something else.
- Wean from the nipples in the period of illness, colic with ARVI. When children are ill, they are especially vulnerable and they simply need a nipple to relieve their condition. Give it, and postpone the process of weaning until better times, and everyone will be happy.
At the same time, if once it was decided to abandon the pacifier, it is also impossible to back down. This will only further aggravate the situation.
If you can not wean
Dr. Komarovsky answered this question well in one of his posts. According to him, there are children who have a sucking reflex too strongly developed, and they do not cease to calm down with a dummy even after reaching the age of three. Scold and especially not shame them for it is not necessary. The time will come, and they will throw their toy.
For parents, it is important for this period to be patient, but not only in order to slowly and confidently do everything to wean off an addiction. It is imperative to endure condemnation from the outside. Often under pressure from neighbors, relatives who love to shame the baby and his parents because of the nipples, hasty decisions are made. But everything has its time. In the end, no one has yet gone to school with a pacifier.
What should be the right nipple?
Modern dummy manufacturers are seriously puzzled by this problem. It was necessary to make a model that would not have a negative effect on the bite and even helped its proper development.
As a result, they developed an orthodontic pacifier, about which parents probably had already heard who were interested in this issue.
What is this nipple? She has a thin neck, which is located in the mouth at the site of contact with the front incisors, and a special step regulating the interaction of teeth. On the nipple mug there are holes for air intake, and the body closely adjoins the baby's cheeks.
This design is currently considered correct, but still does not provide complete protection against abnormal bite. Therefore, it is better to begin to reduce the time spent in the mouth in advance of the mouth than to think how to wean the baby from the nipple.
Choose a product by age
Usually, on a package with a pacifier, the manufacturer indicates in Roman numerals how old it is. Parents should adhere to this labeling, after all, the division by years is not just invented. For the little ones, they make small nipples, for older children - larger ones.
Below is the marking with Roman numerals according to age:
- Ӏ - from 0 to 6 months,
- ӀӀ - from 6 months to 1.5 years,
- ӀӀӀ - from 1.5 years.
1. After purchase, the pacifier must be washed and disinfected. Boiling for a few minutes will suffice.
2. It is desirable to store a soother in a special cap, which already comes complete with modern models.
3. You can not lick the nipple yourself, if you are going to give it to your baby. Often parents sin with this.
4. It is better to get the same nipples in advance. Children often drop or specifically throw them on the floor, then they are asked to pick them up. It is good if for such a case there are two identical pacifiers, it will be possible to hide the dirty ones, and give the clean one to the baby. It is clear that you should not give a pacifier from the floor. Otherwise, the child will get used to pull everything dirty in his mouth. And then you will suffer, not knowing how to wean from the nipples on the floor.
5. If the baby's dummy fell out of the child’s mouth, when he has already fallen asleep, it is not necessary to give it again, let him sleep without it.
6. Do not immediately grab the nipple, if the baby can not sleep for a long time. Otherwise, he will get used to falling asleep only with her, and then it will be difficult to wean from this. You should be patient and try to lull the child yourself.
At what age is she no longer needed?
Using pacifiers rationally up to one year. Until this age the sucking reflex is still active, then it gradually fades away. So, after a year the baby does not need a nipple. The question of how to wean a baby from a pacifier is appropriate.
If after a year the baby cannot part with his favorite thing, then it is no longer a need for a sucking reflex, but simply a habit from which it is necessary and possible to wean, but only gradually.
Usually, the first signs that the baby is ready to give up the nipples can be seen as early as the age of 3 to 6 months. Modern doctors believe that by six months it is necessary to wean from a pacifier, the main thing is not to miss this period.
Consequences of frivolous attitude to the question
Sometimes ignorance of parents leads to such a situation that their already sufficiently adult child (2 years) sucks on the nipple. This is fundamentally wrong. Above, the article mentioned the negative consequences of such a habit. Most often formed a bad bite, in which the front teeth-incisors protrude forward, and this is the best scenario. However, this may be followed by a series of other pathologies: mouth breathing or inflammation of the rim of the lips.
There are more advanced cases when a 4 year old baby sucks a pacifier. Here, in addition to the wrong bite and other pathologies, there is a psychological dependence on the pacifier. The child constantly sucks the nipple, especially in stressful situations. When any parents try to wean the child away from this habit, he begins to act up and cry. With a problem of this nature only long consultations of a psychologist can help.
How to wean a baby to suck on a pacifier?
During this period, you need to be patient and surround the baby with care. Wean from the nipples gradually and without abrupt action. It is wrong to force a dummy forcibly, because it only hurts the baby. If the child sucks the nipple or fingers instead, it is not necessary to forbid him to do it, scold him or slap on the handles.
Doctors recommend using a special vestibular plate. Outwardly, she looks like a regular dummy, but without the nipple itself. This design is made of elastic plastic. It is ideal for children over 3 years old. For babies, a nipple substitute is made with a pad of special silicone, which has a beneficial effect on the group of chewing teeth.
Due to the correct structure, the vestibular plate not only completely replaces the pacifier, but also produces a healing effect, since it occupies a comfortable position in the oral cavity and forms the correct bite.
Weaning without tears
First you need to prepare the baby to abandon the pacifier, before weaning. The baby who is not ready for this step will sleep with the nipple. Parents need to teach the baby to fall asleep without a dummy. Until he himself asks for a pacifier, it is not necessary to give it when rocking. It is necessary to ensure that the child is accustomed to fall asleep without his faithful companion. But how to wean children from the nipples?
There is only one way out - to distract in every possible way before laying down: to sing a song, give a favorite toy, shake on your hands, tell a fairy tale or an interesting story. Any action that does not hurt the child is good. For example, threats or slaps are definitely not worth using.
Some parents simply do not stand the extra ten minutes, give up in front of the crumbs and give him a nipple. You should not make this mistake, otherwise the child will form irregular habits. Patience and patience once again - these are the main weapons in the fight against the problem under consideration.
During the day, you also need to minimize the time spent with a familiar product. How to wean from the nipples during wakefulness? To do this, you need to quietly remove it from the field of view of the baby while playing or walking, that is, when he is passionate about something. Some parents are too busy to notice that the baby is sucking on a pacifier for boredom.
Do not listen to others' accusations, rely only on your intuition. If the baby is not ready to part with the nipple, it will be noticeable. You need to catch the right moment and prepare the ground. As an option - to offer to share the nipple with another baby or pussy, say that you have forgotten a pacifier at home (although it will just be hidden and can “find” at any moment). If the child does not like this situation, do not insist. Try to explain that the nipple is, of course, his friend, but sometimes you have to say goodbye to some friends. Be sensitive about how to stop babies from nipples.
What not to do
1. You can not smear a pacifier with something tasteless: pepper, mustard, salt and other substances. Typically, this technique is used to wean nail bite. But he is unlikely to like the baby. This is an inefficient way. In solving the problem with how to wean from the nipples, it will not help.
2. You can not intimidate. Some parents come up with all sorts of horror stories or tell the truth that the wrong bite can develop. Do not do this, do not develop fears in a child! Only adults are the cause of children's anxieties.
3. Do not shout or scold the baby for sucking the pacifier. Nobody liked the raised voice yet.
4. Do not tease sucking nipples and do not let others do it. “You're so big, but still with a dummy, well, just like a little!” - such expressions are often used, although this is undesirable.
How to wean children from the nipples: psychological tricks
1. The fulfillment of the cherished desire in exchange for the nipple. Tell your child that there is not only a tooth fairy, but also a sorceress who gives gifts. If you put the pacifier in the corner (under the bed, under the pillow, in the drawer), she will take it, and in return will bring what the child dreams of. So the baby will not associate you with parting with a pacifier and hold a grudge against you, because he himself will decide to give the pacifier.
2. Replace the pacifier toy. This trick is suitable if the child is accustomed to falling asleep in bed with a pacifier. First, put the baby to sleep with a dummy and favorite toy. It will take some time: someone takes a few days, someone - a couple of weeks. Then you can offer to give a dummy toy, usually at this age, children are not against sharing. After some time, offer the child to fall asleep only with a toy (without nipples). Give arguments, tell a fairy tale. With children you can always agree.
3. A fairy tale with the participation of the baby. All children love to listen to interesting stories, especially about themselves. Tell your fumes that once a brave little tot (say his name, so he will imagine that a fairy tale about him) saved the little children by giving them their own pacifier.
4. The tale of old things. Tell your kid an interesting story that things eventually become worthless, after which they need to be thrown away. For clarity, you can cut the nipple. When you find it, sympathize with the crumbs and tell a fairy tale about old things, explain that it is already big and will be able to live without a broken dummy. Some kids quickly lose interest in spoiled things, because they still do not understand that you can buy new ones. However, the method of cutting with pacifiers should be used very carefully and not to apply to children who react badly to everything.
5. Tale of beasts and pacifier. Cut off a small part of the nipples. When the baby finds her, tell the story that the animals take the pieces for their young. They cannot buy new pacifiers, so they take small parts from children who have already grown up and can do without it. Silently cut pieces off the nipples until one ring is left. Perhaps the baby will keep him at home, but will soon lose interest in him.
Подобных сказок можно придумать сколько угодно, если у вас хорошо развита фантазия. Главное, чтобы они были поучительными, и малыш понял, что хотят до него донести.
Важно не упустить период, наиболее благоприятный для отучения от сосания пустышки. В противном случае у ребенка может сформироваться привычка. А от привычек, как всем известно, очень трудно избавиться, особенно от дурных. Сложно, но можно. Рано или поздно малыш поймет, что он больше не нуждается в соске. The child himself must make this difficult decision, and the task of the parents is only to competently push him to this step.
Care, teeth: the opinion of dentists
You have probably heard that prolonged sucking the pacifier contributes to the incorrect formation of the jaw and teeth. Doctors know what they are talking about: the dentition can actually be deformed, and the bite will deteriorate. So, the nipple: "for" and against "from dentists.
There are nipples of anatomical shape - they are also called orthodontic. With a flattened side, such a pacifier fits comfortably on the tongue, the special stepped shape of the “neck” ensures the correct location of the incisors when the child bites the pacifier. The harm from such an accessory will, of course, be less, it can be used for a relatively long time.
Nevertheless, it is better to refuse even an orthodontic pacifier when the baby is over a year old. It is possible that his teeth will be in order, but his mental and speech development will suffer. It is logical: why explore the world, communicate with elders and peers and do interesting things if the mouth is busy with the nipple and nothing distracts from this “meditation”?
Out of yourself: what will psychologists say
In their practice, child psychologists have noted a number of cases in which children do not speak or speak poorly or show special interest in the outside world, even to the point of identifying autism. A survey of parents often reveals that they leave their child “alone” with the nipple, so that he would not disturb them and let them go about their business. Here it is worth serious consideration whether a baby is needed. So that he does not close on himself, and nothing slows down the processes of thinking (as it happens when sucking), it is necessary to come up with interesting activities for him.
- Communication Talk to your child more, comment on everything you do together.
- Reading of books . At the age of about a year the kids already like fairy tales. Instead of leaving the baby to fall asleep with a pacifier, read to him his favorite story (if necessary, two or three) - he will get used to going to bed to the sound of your voice.
- Games . Cognitive activity can be stimulated during the game - throughout the day. More educational games, pyramids, cubes, sorters and other exciting things - it is impossible to suck the nipple while the head is busy solving problems.
- Interest in life. Show your child the world around, talk about things, people and animals, everything that happens. So he adapts better, becomes interested and will soon forget about his beloved nipple.
What tricks you can use
There are other little tricks, if you want to know at what age exactly wean the child from the pacifier.
- A cup . If the baby usually drinks from a bottle, from about 7 months you should try to teach him to drink from a regular mug or cup. When he learns this, he will become less demanding on both the bottle and the nipple.
- Hide and seek. At the age of about 8 months, try to remove the pacifier from the eyes of the child during the day and give it only at bedtime (day or late evening).
- Initiative - baby. Avoid yourself giving the nipple to the crumbs, let him ask her when he needs.
- Forgetfulness. Sometimes “forget” to take the pacifier with you, for example, for a walk, and on the street distract the attention of your son or daughter with something interesting.
These tips are suitable for children under the age of one and a half, when it is still not easy to wean a child, but it is still possible.
What not to do
If you want the parting with the nipple to be relatively painless, never do anything from the list below (even if you are actively advised).
- Do not lubricate the nipple with something unpleasant to the taste. Garlic, chloramphenicol ointment, mustard is best used for its intended purpose. Not every adult tolerates acute or bitter, and the baby will be even worse. Such "experiments" are especially dangerous if the child has a tendency to allergies. Sometimes spices even cause cramps and swelling in the throat.
- Do not cut the soother. If the baby already has teeth, it can out of habit chew it and bite off a soft latex, a piece of stuck on the mucous throat and cause spasms, and even suffocation.
- Don't be mad at the kid. Do not frighten and do not be ashamed if he persistently demands a pacifier - he still will not understand the reason for such an attitude, and his whims will increase.
- Do not deprive her child if his teeth are cut or he is sick. It is not easy for him, so you should not increase the stress even more.
Asking how to wean a child from a pacifier while sleeping, parents sometimes decide to take extreme measures: they simply hide it and no longer give it to the baby. Then they rock and calm him for a very long time until he gets used to falling asleep and spend the night without a pacifier. This could go on for weeks. To make this process calmer and faster, first let the baby fall asleep with a pacifier, then carefully remove it and put it in bed next to it just in case.
Gradually or immediately?
Wean the baby from the pacifier can gradually, in about a couple of weeks, if you adhere to the following principles.
- The first five days, the baby should suck the nipple half as much as ever.
- For the next few days, offer a pacifier only during daytime sleep or at night.
- By giving the nipple a few minutes, and immediately after it the breast, you can roughly halve the time it usually takes to sleep with the nipple.
- Offer a baby's dummy only in cases when he really cannot calm down without her.
The final and irrevocable "farewell" to the nipple, if the child is already more than one and a half years old, can be organized in the following ways.
- Present . If there is a newborn nearby (a neighbor or your own child), explain to your child that you need to give the nipple to the baby, “and you are already quite big.” Solemnly pass the pacifier "inherited."
- The loss . Hide the pacifier and tell her that she is lost somewhere. Or a tricky cat dragged. But now you’ll do something interesting together.
- The parcel. “Send” the nipple to the little animals in the forest or invent another story.
Immediately after “parting” with your favorite subject, give the baby something good and remind him that he is now big and independent. If the child is naughty, and it has been going on for more than a week now - he is clearly very uncomfortable with unexpected changes. Give him a dummy - so far you have no choice but to wean the baby from the nipples gradually. If the child, as before, breaks into the mouth of the edge of clothes, diapers, blankets, gently divert his attention, play with him, sing, tell a fairy tale. Arm yourself with patience and in all possible ways avoid the appearance of negative emotions about the "separation".