The ability to negotiate and find a compromise solution even in the most difficult situation is a unique skill. This skill is extremely important when doing business. How to negotiate correctly? How to make this skill help you succeed? This will be discussed in this article.
Types of negotiations
Let's dwell on this in more detail. It is conditionally possible to divide all negotiations into two types:
- Competitive: the goal that participants pursue during such conversations is to achieve victory at any cost. The result of such a business meeting often becomes a conflict situation between the parties.
- Partnership: the goal is to achieve mutual agreement, satisfying the interests of all participants in the process.
There is no exact advice on how to negotiate correctly. Everyone chooses their own method. In practice, most often you can find a combination of competitive and affiliate forms of conducting a business conversation.
Competitive negotiation is characterized by a tense atmosphere. The task of each of the parties is to obtain their own benefit, without taking into account the interests of the opposite side. In order to achieve a positive result in such a situation, it is necessary to adhere to the following recommendations:
- Try not to fully disclose the essence of your proposal at the beginning of the meeting. Otherwise, the opposite side will immediately receive the maximum set of information. It is also necessary to ensure that the topic of the conversation does not change.
- If you are forced to make concessions, try to do it at a minimum.
- In the event of a conflict, maintain dignity. You must follow the basic rules of business communication. In order to defuse the situation, try to transfer the conversation to another topic.
To understand how to negotiate cooperation, you need to know about the main features of this process.
At the initial stage, the most complete information is collected and provided. As a result, both parties can achieve profitable solutions. In partnership negotiations, you should initially be prepared to make concessions.
To get started, set what goals you want to achieve during these conversations. They must be comparable and achievable. You must clearly understand what you want from your opponent. Before the meeting, it is worth exploring the needs of the second party. On the basis of the information received, you can formulate your suggestions. They should be as realistic as possible. If both sides are ready to make some concessions, it will be much easier to achieve results. But if one of the negotiators starts talking in the form of competitive negotiations, then the development of a conflict situation is more likely. The main task of the negotiator in this case - to improve relations.
After each side has its own opinion about the opponent, you can begin to put forward specific proposals. If you decide to make concessions, you need not only to offer something, but also to receive feedback. Completed exchange must be equivalent.
Reaching a compromise
When the exchange of basic information is carried out, you can go directly to the heart of the matter. It should be borne in mind that the more you ask during the negotiations, the more you will receive, the less you offer, the less you will lose. When putting forward your proposal, try to be as precise as possible in the wording. Avoid rough estimates. An opponent may interpret ambiguity against you.
Similarly, it is worth negotiating with the opposite side when an offer comes from them. You should have a clear idea of what they offer. Feel free to ask questions. They will help you to understand whether the proposed option meets your goals.
How to conduct business negotiations? If the meeting takes place in an informal setting, try to use open poses and maintain visual contact with your interlocutor. Sit with your legs crossed and arms crossed, not worth it.
Think over your speech before negotiation. Do not use words and phrases that can annoy your opponents. Also try to refrain from sarcastic remarks demeaning the opposite party’s negotiator. If the conversation begins to move in another direction, try to return the attention of the people present at the meeting. You can ask them to voice their position. In some cases, this technique helps to achieve a compromise.
Many start-up entrepreneurs are interested in how to negotiate with the client correctly. In this case, the tactics of "active listening" help well. It allows you to avoid unpleasant situations or painful reactions from the opposite side. The tactics of "active listening" makes communication skills more advanced. If you have to negotiate often, it will be very useful.
It is important to observe the following guidelines:
- Listen carefully to the interlocutor. You can think about your answer later.
- Reinforce your interest with gestures, for example, you can nod your head, letting your opponent know that you hear it.
- Demonstrate the perception of information. To do this, you can voice the essence of what was said.
- Try to enter the position of the interlocutor. Try to put yourself in his place and assess the situation through his eyes.
- Ask the other party questions, specify information.
- Pauses in the conversation should not scare you. A break for 2-3 minutes will give you the opportunity to collect your thoughts and come to the next question. If you need a longer break, take it. In some cases, 10-15 minutes can save the situation. This is especially true of meetings held in difficult psychological conditions. A break will help you regain balance and reserves of moral energy. In addition, it will provide an opportunity to assess the situation from the outside.
How to understand during the meeting that you and your opponent come to an agreement? Watch for verbal signals from the other side. These may be the words "perhaps" or "possible." In most cases, this is a sign of an early agreement.
Negotiations on the phone
There are situations when a personal meeting is impossible for several reasons. Then the problem has to be solved remotely. How to properly negotiate by phone to achieve the desired result? Large-scale deals are usually not made by telephone. But to reach a preliminary agreement in this way is quite possible.
When conducting telephone conversations should adhere to the following recommendations:
- It is recommended to thoroughly prepare for the dialogue and make a reminder. The lack of visual contact in this case is an advantage, because you do not have to hesitate to cheat sheets.
- Immediately identify the purpose of your call. If during a personal visit there may be several of them, then in a telephone conversation the goal is usually the same.
- It is not necessary to immediately ask to invite the director or the person responsible for a specific question. You can use the workaround. Just ask who you can really discuss this task with, and the secretary will switch you to the right person.
- Determinants of the needs of your interlocutor. Feel free to ask clarifying questions about plans and interests. Interest can be strengthened with just a couple of sentences.
- Spend a small presentation of your proposal. Try to meet in a few minutes.
- Work out the answer to the objections of the interlocutor. If they relate in general to the proposed product or service, explain how your proposal solves a particular problem.
- End the call. If the conversation went well, then at this stage it is necessary to agree on the next action. For example, on a meeting to discuss the details.
Any entrepreneur needs to know the basics of dialogue. A competent businessman should know how to properly negotiate with suppliers. Without the ability to find a common language with partners do not become a big business. The basis of any contact is personal communication. No telephone conversations and emails will replace it. When negotiating, it is better to behave confidently and naturally. Flirt and excessively courtesy of a business partner is not worth it. Always remember the purpose for which the meeting was organized. A business conversation does not tolerate understatement: try to formulate your thoughts specifically and intelligibly. At the same time, carefully listen to counter-offers. The ability to conduct a conversation in this way will demonstrate your experience and knowledge.
Conversation with the customer
This is a special type of business conversation. How to negotiate with the customer so that your cooperation becomes mutually beneficial? Be sure to ask about the needs of the client. If you raise topics that are irrelevant for him, the customer will quickly lose interest in the conversation. Ask the other counter questions. This will highlight your involvement in the business process. It is also recommended to focus on your experience in a particular area. You can give examples of already completed orders.
Conversations with terrorists
For residents of large cities, terrorism has become one of the main phobias. Often terrorist acts are accompanied by hostage taking. Much depends on how you behave in such a situation. How to negotiate with terrorists? The main advice that experts give is to try to be calm. Follow all the requirements of the invaders.
In a crisis situation, such a phenomenon as the Stockholm syndrome is often observed. The term refers to the sympathy of the victims towards the terrorists. The general tension in this situation makes people get closer. After all, terrorists also value their own lives. Keep this in mind, but keep expressing willingness to submit. Do not try to bargain. After all, you do not know thoroughly all the motives of criminals. Only employees of special services know how to conduct operational negotiations correctly. Examples of such situations show that only with the fulfillment of the main recommendations of psychologists one can count on a successful resolution of the problem.
There are some simple recommendations that allow you to effectively negotiate.
The main ones are:
- Do not say yes after the first sentence. If you hurry with the answer from the interlocutor, a negative reaction may occur.
- Ask for more than you hope to receive. Many psychologists, speaking about how to conduct negotiations on cooperation, suggest using this technique. It increases your chances for profit and allows you to build a space for conducting a business conversation.
- Show readiness for changing your conditions if necessary. Consider all aspects of the issue under discussion, but do not rush to make concessions. Try to take into account the interests of the interlocutor and analyze them.
Negotiating - what is it?
The art of negotiating perfected since ancient times. Nowadays, experienced negotiators are in demand in various business niches. Negotiating and resolving conflicts - the success of this depends on the knowledge of psychology and practical experience. Mastery of communication helps to achieve a profitable partnership, attract the best customers and build long-term business relationships.
Effective communication is based on the knowledge of human psychology. The methods of negotiation include various subtleties and nuances, therefore an experienced businessman is also a subtle psychologist. During negotiations, psychological techniques are often used to help build trust and mutual understanding:
- Taking care: “how did you get there, did you easily find the address”, offer of tea / coffee.
- Significance - emphasizing the status and merit of a partner.
- Full congruence - the coincidence of speech, gestures and facial expressions.
- Attention to the ideas and proposals of a business partner.
How to negotiate correctly?
How to negotiate - this is taught in universities, on various courses, but in reality everything happens completely differently. And all the prepared templates only help not to get lost during a business conversation. The most important is the impression that partners produce at each other. Effective negotiations are calm, confidence, developed charisma and respect for the other side plus following the rules:
- a clear goal - the reason for which the negotiations,
- careful understanding of the terms of the agreement,
- everything must be confirmed by agreement, documentation,
- Compliance with all agreements - it is important to keep your word.
How to negotiate cooperation?
Negotiating with business partners causes considerable stress for those who are just starting their own business. Attracting customers, business partners - all this requires professional skill. Negotiations are important to conduct in the key of cooperation, not competition and the spirit of rivalry. Negotiations should be taken responsibly. Effective communication includes:
- the manner of communication is pleasant, relaxing and relaxed,
- specific ideas, suggestions, rationales - no talk on an “empty place”,
- interest in customer needs, discussion,
- the answer “I will think it over”, but not immediately “yes” will help once again to evaluate all the risks and desirability of this cooperation.
Conducting telephone conversations for many is seen as a more complex type of negotiation in the absence of the interlocutor's face. All attention is focused on speech, timbre, tone of voice, the impression that the voice produces. Telephone negotiation techniques are a kind of etiquette in compliance with certain standards:
- The rule of three beeps. If after the third signal a person does not pick up the phone, you should stop the call.
- Voice - a business card. The conversation immediately heard the interlocutor's professionalism, goodwill and confidence
- It is important to introduce yourself by name and ask the name of the interlocutor.
- Show sincere interest in the person.
- Negotiations should be conducted according to a clear plan.
- The use of active listening techniques.
- Thanks for your time at the end of the conversation.
- Analysis of the conversation.
Typical mistakes when negotiating
Successful negotiations depend on a number of observed conditions. Many businessmen and novice managers at the initial stages observe typical mistakes:
- Insufficient preparation for communication with a potential partner, client. Improvisation in this case will play a bad role.
- Negotiation is carried out on the territory of the client or partner. All privileges and manipulations are in the hands of the one who is in “his” place.
- Discover your fear. It is important to work out the fear of negotiation before the desired interaction occurs.
- Disputes and evidence during the negotiations: “my proposal is better, but (someone) has nonsense” will leave unfavorable impressions.
- Psychological pressure. Aggression does not cause the desire to cooperate.
- Loss of concentration, can be expressed in facial expressions and postures, speech:
- monotonous speech
- parasite words,
- impatient tapping with a pen or pencil on the table.
Negotiation skills - the following books are devoted to this topic:
- "I hear you through." Effective negotiation technique. M. Goulstone. The book is intended for businessmen, parents and their children and those who want to be heard and to hear others.
- "Negotiations without defeat." Harvard method. R. Fisher, U. Urey and B. Patton. In their work, the authors outlined in simple language the main techniques of effective communication, protection against manipulators and unscrupulous partners.
- "Conversation on the merits." The art of communication for those who want to achieve their own. S. Scott. An experienced business coach shares the knowledge of high-quality communication and techniques for managing strong emotions during a conversation.
- “How to overcome NO. Negotiations in difficult situations. W. Urey. Very often, people encounter such things as: interlocutors interrupt during a conversation, do not listen to the end, shout, try to instill feelings of guilt. The techniques and techniques described in the book help to get out of the conflict and conduct constructive communication.
- “Convince and win” Secrets of effective argumentation. N. Nepryakhin. Conducting effective negotiations is the ability to defend their point of view. In the book, the mass of effective methods of persuasion and influence on interlocutors.
Why do we need negotiations?
- to push your decision
- to get benefits and nishtyaki from partners or investors,
- to justify themselves before those in power,
- to find a compromise.
We warn you in advance: we are talking only about those negotiations in which both parties have different opinions and to some extent are rivals. Otherwise, it will be just friendly gatherings.
Why do we need negotiations?
What are the negotiations?
Basically, these are two main types: competitive and partnership.
- Конкурентные переговоры — стороны нацелены на победу, каждый хочет остаться в выигрыше и получить прибыль (хорошие условия, гарантии, договоренности). В этом случае компромисс считается “ничьей” и особо не нужен.
- Партнерские — обе стороны настроены доброжелательно и согласны на компромисс. Готовы пожертвовать небольшими выгодами, чтобы в итоге прийти к мирному соглашению.
Разделяют также стили переговоров:
- authoritarian - clear, bold, sharp like a bullet. So bosses often communicate with subordinates, and stronger partners - with outsiders,
- democratic - participants communicate as equals, as partners,
- informal is more likely an informal conversation without strict rules.
Depending on what underlies the subject of negotiations, and the style of conversation will be chosen. We need money for construction or a startup - most likely, the contracts will be partnerships. A tax check arrived at the PI. Perhaps the authorities will behave authoritarianly. Two dudes from competing organizations met, liked each other, took on a beer - and an informal conversation started. Most often styles are mixed, and here you can choose for yourself which one is more appropriate and effective.
Stage 1. Preparation
- Select the date and venue of the negotiations. Psychologists say it is better to meet in the morning - when your interlocutor, and you yourself have not had time to load your head with current affairs. The place is also very important - on what territory you will meet, the outcome of negotiations may depend. It is known that houses and walls help - if possible, try to hold important meetings in your office. And if there is no office yet - in a place where you feel as comfortable as possible (your favorite cafe, lobby, etc.)
- Tune up your mind: calm down, focus, grow Zen to your knees or below. Let nothing can knock you off track. If on the eve of the appointed date an unpleasant event occurred for you (failure, rupture of relations, death) - postpone the meeting.
- Write down the main ideas and thoughts that you are going to convey to the interlocutor. Work out possible objections and think about what to answer. Model different situations, different channels in which negotiations can take place, and options for their different outcomes.
Tune in morally: calm down, focus, grow Zen to your knees or below
Stage 2. Monologues and sentences
At this stage, everything usually goes smoothly: the parties to the negotiations position their opinions and intentions. Here it is important to state your arguments as clearly as possible, without slipping into unnecessary reasoning and saving the interlocutor's time. Then the time comes for the most important thing - voice your proposal, backed by its arguments. Then, in turn, carefully listen to the other. Key points are best written down to discuss in the next step.
For example, you came to negotiate that the rent for your office space does not increase. Tell us why this is so - the average price on the market is n rubles, and you offer a higher price.
The art of negotiation is the most important of the arts.
The art of negotiating is one of the most important and necessary skills in life. Sometimes we do not even realize ourselves that we have entered the path of negotiations - well, you will think, just discuss the upcoming vacation with friends. But in fact, each of us is negotiating not only with business partners and colleagues.
Starting any discussion, we always use a certain strategy of our behavior, sometimes without even thinking about it. Every day we are all forced to tackle difficult tasks, seek compromises and negotiate with different parties - with a boyfriend, friends, parents, acquaintances. We negotiate on various issues: where to go on vacation, what to choose - shoes or a game console (the answer is obvious), how to make repairs, whether to keep a joint budget, or what series to watch in the evening.
Someone is horrified by the very idea that all this will be called “negotiations”. This makes many nervous and anxious in anticipation of a difficult negotiation process (expectations generally do terrible things to people). However, practice shows that it is possible to work out “immunity” to negotiations, which will greatly facilitate your life and help you treat the whole process much easier (even with pleasure!).
A great number of books have been written on the art of negotiation. However, it is impossible to highlight all possible scenarios that may arise during the discussion. Everything can always go off plan and even contrary to how you imagined it. Nevertheless, here are a few principles - the rules of the negotiator, the knowledge of which will help to always be fully prepared - both at work and in everyday life.
1. Make sure the game (i.e. negotiation) is worth the trouble
The most important question that you need to honestly answer yourself before you get involved in any negotiations: is it worth starting this process?
Example. A professor at an American university spent several days negotiating the purchase of a television set. Being well-versed in the negotiation issue, he thoroughly prepared himself: he did all the necessary research before the start of negotiations, he personally visited other stores and had conversations with sellers in order to easily operate with the data of competitors during his negotiations. Based on the knowledge of low prices in other stores, he did get the desired discount, saved $ 120 and spent 20 hours in total.
At the very first glance, the negotiations were successful, namely: they concluded with a deal. However, if you look more closely, we will see that the professor spent 20 hours of his time, saving only $ 120. The working hours of an American professor are much more expensive (breathed). So, if he was just doing his job and instead of lecturing, he read lectures at this time, he would have earned much more in 20 hours.
Therefore, the first thing to think about before starting any negotiations: is it worth your time and nerves of all possible agony? Reasoning about this, rely on your own opinions and feelings (well, yes, objective factors) and take a good look at the risks: what can you lose by honestly comparing it with a reward that you can acquire.
2. The main thing in the negotiations is not what your opponent wants, but why he wants it
The theory of the negotiation process divides the negotiations on positional (position-based) and negotiations based on interests (interest-based). Positions are the immediate desires of the parties, that is, what people want as a result of the transaction. Interests are able to reveal true needs and reflect the reasons why people want exactly that. In positional negotiations, the parties begin a dialogue with the advancement of demands, otherwise, with the identification and discussion of their interests.
Consider a simple case: two hungry friends can not share a single pizza. Each of them wants a whole pizza and does not want to retreat. Positional negotiations will inevitably come to a standstill, since there is only one pizza, and two participants, and they are not ready to share. In negotiations based on interests, the main question that the opponent should ask is not “What do you want?” (It is clear that pizza!), But “Why do you want it?” It may well turn out that one friend really likes salami sausage, but he does not eat pizza crust, while the second is a big fan of dough and cannot live without these same crusts. Knowing the true motivation of the opponent and his deep-seated interests, both parties gain a chance to reach an agreement and get what they want without taking it from the other.
Focus on interests, on benefits, not positions. Positions, as a rule, contradict each other, while benefits and interests are far from always. In positional negotiations, negotiators inevitably become rivals, and in negotiations based on interests, both sides have a common goal - to find a solution to the existing problem.
3. Prepare for the negotiations: know your BATNA
Paradoxically, the most important thing in the negotiations occurs before them: the preparation for the negotiations and the development of a strategy. It is important to take a good look at the situation and honestly evaluate your own strength. First of all, you must clearly present your final goal: what is the best and most desirable outcome of the negotiations for you? Remember: if you do not know where you want to go, you may be in a completely different place. Think about what is important to you when making a deal - which factors play a major role for you. Here they should pay special attention.
When developing a behavior strategy, the BATNA concept is very useful. BATNA is one of the key concepts in the theory of negotiation, formulated by the famous Nobel laureate John Nash (yes, that mathematician from the film “Mind Games”). Finally, this management model was framed after several decades by Harvard scientists Roger Fisher and William Urie in their famous book Getting to YES, which became the bible of all negotiators.
BATNA is an acronym for the English phrase: “Best Alternative to a Negotiated Agreement”, that is, “the best alternative to the negotiated agreement”. In essence, BATNA is what awaits you if the negotiations fail, that is, if you don’t get what you want. In general, BATNA is your best of the worst. For example, if you are planning how to celebrate the New Year, and discuss a trip to the mountains with your friends, your BATNA is how you will meet the New Year if you will not go to any mountains with any friends.
How to find out your BATNA? To do this, simply perform 3 simple steps:
1. Make a list of possible actions that you will have to take in case of failure of the negotiations.
3. Work with the most promising ideas from this list, expand them into actionable options.
4. Choose the best one of them - this is your BATNA.
4. BATNA knowledge of the opponent - your strength in the negotiations
The true power in the negotiations lies in the knowledge of their (and others!) Alternatives. In this case, BATNA can be used in two ways: as a reserve parachute, and as an instrument of pressure on the opponent in negotiations.
Extremely important information for you - your opponent's BATNA. During negotiations, your task is to collect as much information as possible about his motivation. Ask questions and, most importantly, listen to the answers. Firstly, it will help you understand the strength of your opponent’s position, clarify his point of view and interests for you. Secondly, it will help you plan your strategy - experts do not recommend disclosing your BATNA during negotiations if it is worse than your opponent’s BATNA.
5. Use your and others BATNA for your own benefit.
If you have a great alternative to closing a deal, then you can voice it and use it to your advantage as a pressure tool. If the agreement is much worse than your BATNA, then at least you should consider breaking the negotiations. Think twice: do you need it?
Returning to the example of a trip to the mountains with friends, perhaps, if your BATNA is lying and sunbathing with your beloved on the beach, then maybe you should complete protracted negotiations with friends and go on a romantic trip to the sea? Of course, it all depends on your original goals and desires. And vice versa: if your BATNA is to celebrate New Year's Eve with cats at home, then it may be worth being simpler and there is no point in arguing so violently which hotel you should choose.
If your BATNA itself is not very good, then it is better not to disclose it in negotiations. After all, so you give the trump card in the hands of his rival. Tactic behavior here can be different. You can try to strengthen your BATNA using creativity or expert help (mom's advice is also considered). You can bluff, pretending that you really have a strong and wonderful alternative (you are already a master of it anyway). You can try to weaken the opponent's BATNA by reducing the importance and steepness of its intended alternatives. And do not forget that your opponent is doing the same thing and is trying to recognize your BATNA right now!
The main thing is: if you have a bad BATNA and a multi-pass - this is not about you, you still need to look for a compromise and not slam the door, stopping the negotiations. In the winning position is always the one who is better and stronger than BATNA, or the one who is better prepared for the negotiations.
6. Calm and only calm!
No one said it would be easy: negotiation is difficult. Remember that your goal - to find a common solution to the problem, and not harm each other.
At the same time it is very important to separate people from the problem: consider only the problems discussed and do not focus on people. This will allow in the course of the negotiation process not to move to the emotional level and save your nerves.
Sometimes it is very difficult to calmly respond to the absolutely inadequate behavior of the second side. There is a little life hacking: if the person with whom you are negotiating is rude, breaks down and shouts at you, imagine that a kitten has died in the morning. It's easier to sympathize with him, right? (I agree, sometimes it seems that the world has seized cat cholera, and poor kittens are dying in droves.)
Always remember that Thomas Jefferson formulated for us: "Nothing gives so many advantages over others, like the ability to remain calm and cool in any situation."
How to negotiate?
Basic rules and techniques for how to negotiate, which will be useful in business and in everyday life.
First, who knows how to develop your future life, it is quite possible that very soon this skill will come in handy.
In general, a confident negotiating technique will be useful to everyone in the ordinary, and not just in business life.
How to conduct business negotiations: basic rules
For those who are going to negotiate, it is important to understand that they absolutely do not resemble a lottery or some kind of gamble, so you should not rely on it at random.
And still it is necessary to remember that there are rules for conducting business negotiations, which should not be seriously violated if you do not want to spoil your reputation in business circles:
- Always arrange a personal meeting, especially if the stakes are high.
Telephone calls, Skype, e-mails - all this is good at an intermediate stage, but the result you need can be achieved only during a personal meeting.
- Find out what your opponent needs and use it for your own purposes.
And in general, it is necessary to conduct business negotiations, having previously familiarized with the enemy.
- Do not "pour water", express your thoughts clearly, clearly, briefly, so that your opponent does not have the impression that you are an unserious layman who has nothing to offer.
To negotiate, as well as to seek agreement from a beloved woman for something, you should be smiling.
- Take care of your appearance: a stale shirt collar or an arrow on pantyhose can spoil the impression of you.
- Turning to the interlocutor, call him by name / first name and patronymic instead of using pronouns.
- D. Carnegie argued in his writings that any person wants to feel significant, appreciated.
If during business negotiations you let your partner feel like such, you can easily get what you need from him.
- Never agree to an offer immediately, even if it seems more or less attractive to you.
It is better to start negotiating, as a result of which you may well achieve a better result.
- Do not delay the negotiations.
It usually takes no more than an hour to reach a compromise.
- Finish the business negotiations with a clear conclusion to make sure that you and your opponent understand each other correctly.
For example, "So, we have agreed that deliveries will be made on the first Tuesday of each month, and your account will be paid on the last Thursday of each month."
How to conduct difficult negotiations? Use Truman's rule!
I will not argue that the popular rule among business people and politicians is “You can’t immediately convince your opponent, do everything to get confused in your convictions,” really belongs to US President Harry Truman, but the rule to negotiate is really worthwhile and must be considered.
In this case, forget rule number 3 from the previous list and formulate your thoughts so that the second side of the negotiation process itself gets confused about who initially proposed, who the initiative now comes from and with what ideas they came to the negotiations.
It’s not easy to do, ideally you should own the negotiation process and not get confused yourself.
To achieve the desired result, you can:
- Apply the wording "Yes, I agree with you, however ...", "You are absolutely right and yet ...", and the emphasis should be put on the first part of the phrase.
- Another strategy is to repeat the phrase of the second side of the negotiation process, slightly changing its meaning.
For example, they say to you: “We have agreed on the construction of a sports complex, our share is 60%,” you answer with exactly this phrase.
It is possible that the opponent does not catch the nuances.
If you turn into a rock, you can negotiate even with the raging sea
You know that it is guaranteed that your interlocutor will bring himself out of a nervous (or wanting to appear as such) interlocutor - your absolute calm and confidence.
If you let go of your leash your emotions, move on to elevated tones - lose.
Do not allow yourself to spend.
Let the sea rage on you, you know perfectly well that any storm ends sooner or later, and you both stand yourself and will stand.
If your opponent sees your strength, confidence and ability to control your emotions in any situation, he will make compromises.
Negotiation Technique # 1: Pretend to be stupid
Сегодня просто эпидемия какая-то пошла среди населения: все пытаются при удобном и неудобном случае продемонстрировать свой ум.
Что мешает вам использовать эту технику, чтобы вести переговоры?
Притворитесь, что не совсем понимаете, о чем вам толкует оппонент и заставьте его детально изложить свою точку зрения на спорные вопросы.
Do not be afraid that you will be taken for a fool (even if it happens, what difference does it make to you if the negotiating technique you use leads you to the desired result).
Fools are trying with all their might to demonstrate their mind, although its presence in their skull box is very controversial, while clever ones keep their trump cards up their sleeve, allowing others to look full.
Negotiation Technique # 2: 80/20 Rule
This rule is also called the Pareto law on behalf of the Italian economist and sociologist Vilfredo Pareto.
Pareto's law is often used in business.
Wise managers motivate 20% of the best employees, because they understand that it is they who perform 80% of all work.
You should understand that only 20% of the questions raised by you will give 80% of the result, while the remaining 80% will be almost empty chatter.
So you need to identify these 20 effective percent and focus on them.
For example, experienced negotiators claim that in the last 20 minutes of negotiations almost 80% of compromises are reached.
And on the video below voiced some more useful recommendations.
Many politicians and businessmen were looking for a golden secret how to negotiate, but, alas, there is no single rule.
It is necessary to act on the situation, using various tactics.
EARNING FROM 7000 rub. a day on the “SWALLOW” ⇩
Stage 3. Discussion and bargaining
The most difficult and stressful stage of negotiations, where spears break, collapse or, conversely, there are hopes and prospects. It may take half a day, especially if the goals and objectives of the party are radically opposite. Or if we are talking about big money. If you are conducting competitive negotiations - try to make concessions as little as possible and inform your interlocutor about your plans. Remember that everything said can be used against you.
We continue to talk about lower rents. When discussing, do not just ask to lower the price - offer something profitable in return. For example, to pay part of their products, or to make repairs in the room. If you reduce the fee, we will do the repair - something like your words should sound.
In partnership negotiations, everything is simpler: both interlocutors aim at a compromise - accordingly, and it will be easier to find him. It is also unprofitable for a landlord to lose a tenant - it is not known when there will be another one, so there is a great chance that he will make concessions to you. Conflicts in partnership negotiations are almost impossible - the conversation is proceeding in a peaceful way. You are discussing, rather than pushing each one’s position.
Discussion and bargaining
Stage 4. Decision making.
Finally it is decided what the outcome of the negotiations. May lead to compromise or breakup. Ideal - the signing of the contract. Verbal promises are also a good thing, but it is better to consolidate the meeting on a documentary level.
After the negotiations, we advise you to contact the interlocutor again. If the meeting was successful - thank and mark the main points and agreements. This is to make sure you understand everything correctly.
If the negotiations failed, write and thank anyway. Express the hope that this is not your last meeting, and the next time the dialogue can go in a more positive way.
1. Set realistic goals. Suppose you have a startup and you meet with a potential investor. Do not expect to get a million dollars - who will give you so much? Estimate the capital of your investor, guess how much he can invest (if he wants at all) in your business. Set the maximum task - to get a million rubles. And the task is at least - if it gives 500 thousand, that will be enough butt. But still better than nothing.
2. At the same time, always ask for more. The old trick: if you want to ask the chief to increase the salary by 10 thousand, boldly ask for 20, and he will sigh with relief and agree on exactly those 10. Also in the negotiations: ask for more than the maximum, and perhaps you will get that very maximum.
3. Start with easy topics, as psychologists advise. The interlocutor will be easier to agree with you, and the situation will be depleted. If you feel a mutual arrangement - fine. Thousands of deals were made thanks to spontaneous personal sympathy. And then go to the most important thing - the main subject of conversation.
4. Do not get carried away authoritarian style. Even if you are the boss and your interlocutor is an inexperienced subordinate, stick to democratic communication. Firstly, it is now popular. Secondly, you don’t tune your partner against yourself (do we remember that one battle won is not a war won yet? And if you managed to win in these negotiations, it’s not known what will happen next. Therefore, it’s better not to spoil relations with partners and competitors ).
5. Examine your buddy. Read the interview with him, find friends in common, use word of mouth on the whole coil. Identify its strengths and weaknesses, make an analysis of its financial situation. Find out his needs: maybe he built houses all his life, and before retirement he wants to release memoirs or invest money in a young creative brand. Play on these feelings, offer exactly what he wants.
6. Operate with exact numbers. It doesn't matter what the topic of the negotiations is. Whether you are looking for a partner, agreeing on joint cooperation or trying to find a sponsor - always say the exact data. People do not like approximate calculations, they want to understand how much money they will have to spend and when they will be repulsed. Everything. Believe me, you and your interests are not important to anyone, the main thing is money. As they say, nothing personal - only business.
Use exact numbers
For example, you come up with a startup and are looking for a sponsor. Do not say "Well, I think about the idea should pay off somewhere in six months." What a kindergarten! Bring a business plan with you and clearly, list all investments: yours and the investor, payback expectations, estimated profits and margins.
7. Ask questions. Negotiations - such a thing, where every word is important. If you are working with the interlocutor in different areas, of different ages or mentality - you can misunderstand each other. So listen carefully, ask leading questions:
- “Tell me more about it”,
- “What do you think about this?”,
- “What would you like to hear from me?”.
Ask again. If something is not clear, do not be afraid to ask: there will be no false illusions and expectations. Maybe your interlocutor was joking or you took your wishful thinking.
- Yes, of course, work together. Someday.
- Please specify when we start work.
8. Record and document. This is useful in order for sure that there is no ambiguity. Insist on drawing up a contract - attract a lawyer and carefully study each of his points.
9. Never make excuses - do not show your interlocutor that you are weaker than him. Even if it is true. Even if you do not dictate terms and are unequal. Even if your interlocutor communicates in an authoritarian style. And if you have to explain something — for example, why your startup deserves your investment — behave with restraint, with dignity, do not fuss. You are an equal partner, not a whipping boy.
- Come on, tell me what you got there.
- I have a business there that will bring you millions if you listen carefully to me now.
10. Avoid conflict. Suppose the source adheres to a rigid style and in every possible way provokes conflict. Do not give him this joy: direct the conversation in a constructive direction.
- What are you talking to me here? Mal is still arguing with seniors.
- Please explain what you mean. I do not argue, but I bring you reasonable arguments.
11. Take time out. If the conversation is difficult, differences arise, it is better to go for a smoke break or drink a cup of coffee. This will defuse the atmosphere, and at the same time you will think about how to build a dialogue further.
12. Do not be intrusive. Give a person the right to think. Remember that he, too, is afraid of risks, afraid of losing investments. If you have fulfilled all our rules and were accurate and convincing - be sure, the interlocutor heard you. Just give him time - he will make some decision sooner or later.
13. And most importantly - keep your promises. If you have promised to make a million in six months / take the business to payback / hire an employee in a month - do it.
Major Negotiation Mistakes
- You are nervous and fussing. The enemy feels in the win - yes it is.
- You do not set a goal - you do not know what you want to achieve as a result of negotiations.
- You do not know anything about your interlocutor - this is the same as not learning your Central Asia.
- You provoke a conflict. The times of the 90s are long gone, now even the differences are resolved in a civilized way.
- You miss and want to quickly finish - then why did you even come?
Our advice: use not only facts and figures, but also knowledge of psychology. Tune in to your interlocutor, study it - and the chances of a successful result will increase significantly. And remember: forewarned is forearmed!
Once a week we send a selection of the best articles so that you get the most interesting things in your inbox
Where to find a supplier for an online store?
In the bases of b2b companies, take wholesale prices and compare offers. You should be interested in three things: price, time and method of delivery, warranty. A good option is wholesale markets. There, too, you can find good offers. True, this is true only for certain niches (clothing, children's products, any small things).
So what are the options for cooperation and how to agree?
Option 1. Full purchase of goods to your warehouse
Under this scheme, it is possible to agree on cooperation with an online store very easily. There is practically no fact of negotiation. There is a simple transaction for the purchase of goods (most often at the most unfavorable conditions). If you have initial capital and the desire to develop this niche by all means, go ahead. Take a chance!
Option 2. One-time purchases of goods upon order.
According to this scheme, approximately 80% of small and medium online stores work. The essence of the scheme is simple: an order comes to you, the supplier for it ships the goods to you.
How to influence the supplier? Let's guarantee the amount of the monthly purchase of goods. Give statistics on the current orders of your store, or agree that you will come for orders 1-2 times a week on certain days. And under this scheme, optimize your sales team.
Option 3. Deferred payment operation
The option is perfect, but you can only negotiate an online store with a supplier on such conditions in two situations:
- Someone from the TOPs of the supplier - your good friend
- Your store has a lot of traffic and a lot of orders.
The first option is to agree on cooperation with the online store, we do not consider. And the second one will work fine when you bring your statistics to the supplier, or even better - in real time, show the numbers of orders. If the supplier is competent, then his attendance will be of little interest. The main thing - orders and sales of its goods.
Like this article? Share it with your friends!
How to negotiate with suppliers on the most favorable terms?
How to negotiate with suppliers on the most favorable terms?
Let's start with typical mistakes of start-up entrepreneurs:
ERROR: Write to the supplier in the mail, and not to call in person!
It would seem that you should immediately sit down on suppliers, but, on the other hand, there is such:
We represent a store that expands the range
These stores trust more than beginners. But there is a very insidious moment. If the supplier has the minimum competence in lie detection, he will easily catch you in this, following the practice of refinement and detail.
Typical test questions in a similar situation:
- tell the store address
- who are already working with
- how many deals were in the previous month.
Keep in mind that if a supplier convicts you of a lie, you can forget about cooperation!
You must request a price for a large party
If you request a price for the minimum lot, then the price will be maximum for you. Therefore, it is better to request prices for maximum parties, then to negotiate for smaller parties. At this stage, you can negotiate with the supplier for your online store on more favorable terms.
How to conduct business negotiations: tips and advice
The ability to negotiate is the key to a successful business. The art of negotiation makes it easy to build business relationships, attract new customers and partners. The skills and techniques of business negotiations contribute to the growth of a person’s authority, which in turn contributes to the success of the business in which he is engaged.
Therefore, the first thing to do is to determine the purpose of the negotiations.
It is also worth well understanding what the main problem is, which hinders the achievement of the goal and how it can be solved. If a group of people take part in the preparation for negotiations, then a marker board will be used where you can write down ideas and systematize important information.
Try to anticipate possible scenarios and think about your behavior strategy in each case.
The one who has found answers to such questions is well prepared for negotiations:
- How do your goals and those of your partner differ and how do they coincide?
- What strategies does your partner choose to solve the problem and how do they suit you?
- What is the outcome of the negotiations for you is unacceptable, and how can it be avoided?
- Also try to anticipate what questions may arise from the interlocutor and prepare answers. Thus, your preparedness and confidence in the topic of discussion will be respected by business partners.
Actually negotiations and features of their reference
Since the subjects of negotiations are always people, the success of this process depends largely on the ability to have oneself, to cause trust and respect of another. In the process of communication, every little thing matters - from appearance to non-verbal manifestations. Even the stationery on the negotiating table and the most inconspicuous gesture affect the overall atmosphere of communication.
Therefore, some knowledge of psychology and oratory skills will be useful here. Agree that a closed person who is difficult to make contact and does not express his thoughts clearly, sometimes pushes people away from him. And on the contrary, a polite, skilled in communication person easily disposes to himself, acquiring new friends and business partners.
So, how to negotiate correctly?
- Be attentive listener. This type of negotiation technique, like active listening, is one of the most important. Listen to the partner’s position, ask clarifying questions in order to understand the other party’s vision of the situation as well as possible. Listening and showing interest to the interlocutor, you, thus, show that he and his position are significant for you. In this case, the business partner, if necessary, will be more willing to compromise with you.
- Contact the person by name. This is a small psychological secret. Psychologists say that a person is more inclined to trust you if you call him by name. People unconsciously attach great importance to their name, this is one of the most important words for a person in any language. Turning to a partner by name at ease, you, therefore, have him to yourself. Even if a sufficiently large group of people take part in the negotiations, there will be no difficulties with the treatment by name, because in this case each participant in the negotiations will have a badge.
- Use non-verbal language. In the process of communicating with words, no more than 10% of the information is transmitted, everything else we learn thanks to non-verbal manifestations, such as gestures, intonation and voice timbre. And if it is easy for a person to control speech, then with a non-verbal is more difficult, since it is a reflection of the unconscious and demonstrates the true motives of a person. If what a person says is contrary to non-verbal manifestations, then communication with him will cause discomfort and mistrust. To avoid this, you should gesticulate as consciously as possible and follow the intonation. For example, you should not use closed postures during negotiations - to cross your arms or legs. Such poses are interpreted by another person as a desire to hide something or isolate themselves from the interlocutor.
- Be clear. Business negotiations involve the exchange of important information. So that the other side understands your position as correctly as possible, it is worth expressing your thoughts clearly and concretely, without unnecessary data. You can also use a flip chart to visualize your ideas and suggestions.
These are the basic rules of negotiation, the observance of which will allow you to easily find a compromise with partners, successfully complete transactions and develop your business.
How to negotiate correctly: a guide for new entrepreneurs
- to push your decision
- to get benefits and nishtyaki from partners or investors,
- to justify themselves before those in power,
- to find a compromise.
We warn you in advance: we are talking only about those negotiations in which both parties have different opinions and to some extent are rivals. В противном случае это будут просто дружеские посиделки.
Зачем нужны переговоры?
умение чайник читать онлайн книга английский китаец
чайник читать онлайн книга английский китаец
12. Не будьте навязчивыми. Дайте человеку право на раздумье. Помните, что он тоже боится рисков, боится потерять вложения. If you have fulfilled all our rules and were accurate and convincing - be sure, the interlocutor heard you. Just give him time - he will make some decision sooner or later.
13. And most importantly - keep your promises. If you have promised to make a million in six months / take the business to payback / hire an employee in a month - do it.