Having noticed once the night gnashing of teeth in a child, parents worry and get scared. This condition is shrouded in myths. It is believed that the creaking of teeth at night is a sign of helminthic invasion. Even doctors cannot unanimously answer the question of why gnash occurs and whether it is considered a disease. Why does a child gnash his teeth in a dream?
Night gnashing of teeth (bruxism) is a symptom of various diseases. To determine why a child is gritting his teeth in a dream, you need to follow the emotional state, examine the baby. Ignoring bruxism can lead to unpleasant situations, the development of disease.
How is the rattle?
Bruxism occurs at night due to the reduction of the chewing muscles. Normally, the teeth touch each other only while eating, which causes friction. In a relaxed state, the jaws are touching, but no friction is created. In bruxism, the jaw muscles are strained, the teeth tightly pressed against each other and the child squeaks with them.
Features of bruxism in children
The night rattle is not a purely childish problem. This phenomenon occurs in adults, but much less often.
The creaking sound of a child can be heard not only at night. Sometimes the problem manifests itself in the daytime. Typically, the attack lasts a short time, about 10 seconds.
If a symptom occurs from time to time, and the condition of the baby does not change, parents should not worry. If a child often grit its teeth in a dream, and is annoyed in the morning, complains of a headache, as well as in the muscles of the jaw, this is a reason to contact a specialist.
Sometimes parents may not be aware of the symptom, for example, if the child has grown up and is sleeping in another room.
Require treatment bruxism attacks, which are observed for more than a month.
Why does a child gnash his teeth in a dream? Dr. Komarovsky will tell about the reasons.
- Children's psyche has its own characteristics. Children otherwise suffer stress, emotional stress. Even small nervous stress can affect the body of the baby, manifest night gnashing of teeth. Bruxism says that the nervous system of the child has failed, out of balance.
- Often the gnash can be heard when teething baby teeth or when they change to the root. Such processes are accompanied by itching and discomfort, the baby tries to scratch the teeth and squeaks with them. During teething, daytime bruxism is observed.
- Pathology in the form of malocclusion, as well as diseases of the jaw joints manifest a night rattle.
- An important role is played by the hereditary factor. If one of the parents suffered from bruxism, the risk of night gnashing of the child increases.
- Toddlers who suffer from nightmares, sleepwalking, or other sleep disorders, often grit their teeth. This also applies to snoring, talking in a dream of children.
- Adenoids, runny nose, otitis are manifested by a violation of nasal breathing, discomfort. The baby can not breathe freely, especially at night, worries, creaks teeth.
- With a lack of trace elements that affect muscle contraction and the nervous system, there is bruxism. This is a manifestation of the deficiency of calcium, magnesium, vitamins of group B and amino acids.
- With insufficient load on the jaw, the use of soft, grated food by the child, the child reflexively squeezes the jaws at night.
Bruxism can manifest itself in children suffering from helminth infections and in healthy children. Indeed, the creaking of teeth in children with helminthic invasion is exacerbated. The reason for this - the discomfort associated with worms.
Why does a child gnash his teeth day and night? Differences between day and night bruxism
Daytime bruxism is more characteristic of emotional children, when even small troubles bring a whirlwind of emotions. The baby reflexively squeezes the teeth and creates a characteristic creak. Experts attribute daily bruxism to a bad habit, not pathology.
A child psychologist can help a child, who will find an approach to the child and gently teach him to control his actions. It is unacceptable to scold and punish a child for teeth grinding during the day, it will aggravate the problem, lead to other disorders.
There are special methods and exercises that can teach a crumb to cope with bruxism.
When teething baby squeezes teeth, scratches, bites. So the child is experimenting with his body, trying to try something new. Often the creak of teeth amuses the child, it is not necessary to consider such bruxism a problem. It is enough to gently show the child that you should not do this, you can buy a teether for the teeth.
Night bruxism occurs involuntarily, the baby cannot control it.
Often nightly grinding is accompanied by other manifestations:
- gnashing, creaking, clicking teeth, which lasts 10 - 15 seconds and periodically repeats,
- during an attack, blood pressure, pulse rate increases, the baby breathes more often.
Why teeth gnashing is worth treating?
Parents often ask whether it is worth resorting to drug therapy for the night teeth creaking. If bruxism is not considered a disease, maybe you should not pay attention to it?
Bruxism leads to complications that are imperceptible at first glance. Over time, the changes appear more and more, diseases arise.
The consequences of bruxism are as follows:
- Daytime sleepiness. The baby can not fully relax at night, to plunge into a deep sleep, his muscles remain in a tense state. After such a night, the child wakes up uninspirated, lethargic, capricious. Cognitive functions are impaired, attention dissipates, performance declines. And fatigue accumulates every day, the crumb can not rest properly.
- The enamel of the teeth is erased. The child is actively working jaws in a dream, the tooth enamel is subjected to constant mechanical stress. Thin enamel of children's teeth is gradually erased, there is increased sensitivity of the teeth, gum disease. The child refuses to eat sour, sweet, hot, cold. If you notice that the baby is in pain while eating, cannot eat certain foods, consult a specialist. This may indicate an increased sensitivity of the teeth, dental problems. If the enamel is erased significantly, there is a violation of the bite. If you miss the problem, the overbite is fixed, remains deformed.
- Nervous System Disorders. Neurological disorders occur with a long course of bruxism, when the night gnashing of teeth is not defined for a long time. Then the kids get to a different specialist, for a long time can not cope with the problem.
The clinical manifestations of neuroscience in bruxism are diverse and often “masked” by other diseases. Children complain of pain in the head, face, neck. Perhaps dizziness, loss of vision and hearing.
Diagnosis of Bruxism
If you notice signs of bruxism, first of all watch the baby's sleep. Pay attention to how long the seizures last, how often the squeak appears.
Notice how the child behaved the day before, whether there were emotional or physical stress. It is important to observe if there are any manifestations of a problem during the day, if the baby’s condition is not disturbed.
Then parents should consult a specialist. To clarify the diagnosis, doctors recommend a polysomnographic study. This diagnostic method allows you to register a contraction of the muscles of the jaw, which occur involuntarily. The method helps to distinguish bruxism from hidden pathologies, indispensable for children at risk of developing epilepsy.
In case of doubt, the dentist recommends using a special brooks checker. This is a mouthpiece made of soft plastic or rubber, which she wears while the child is sleeping. In the morning, the state of the cap is evaluated, the deformed areas indicate the load on the teeth in these places.
For accurate diagnosis and the appointment of the correct treatment, the child should be consulted by related professionals. Such children are examined by a dentist, a neuropathologist, a psychologist.
What should I do if a child is gritting his teeth in a dream?
If the phenomenon of bruxism occurs rarely, the baby sleeps calmly, and wakes up awake and cheerful, you can restrict yourself to general recommendations for the treatment of night gnashing of teeth.
- Daily regime. The child should clearly understand the time of sleep and wakefulness, walk regularly in the open air and have enough rest.
- Balanced diet. A balanced diet will provide the crumb with all the vitamins and trace elements that support the baby’s health. Eliminate too sweet foods, fatty, heavy foods, dyes and preservatives from the diet. It is not necessary to overfeed the child for the night, it will also make the sleep of the baby restless. Dinner should be 2 hours before bedtime.
- Give solid food in the afternoon. Try to treat toddler with apple, carrot, cabbage in the daytime. Give the chewing muscles to work, so you will reduce the nighttime muscle activity.
- Preparation for sleep. Try to calm the baby before bedtime, play quiet games. A hot bath, reading books, lullabies will help to relax your baby. If the crumbling "cleared up" before going to bed, be sure to calm the baby. An overexcited child cannot sleep well.
- The atmosphere in the family. Children's behavior is a mirror reflection of family relationships. Create a homely, cozy atmosphere. Never find out the relationship in the presence of children.
Try to be attentive and patient to the requests of the crumbs, give him more time, hug and kiss the baby. Contact with parents is very important, it warns many psychological problems in the future.
If the diagnosis of bruxism is established, the baby will need an integrated approach to overcome the problem.
Bruxism Treatment Methods
- Psychological. Children suffering from bruxism need psychological support, attention and understanding. A competent psychologist will help the family overcome the problem and build trust.
- Somatic. Treatment of complications of bruxism, diseases of the oral cavity, gums, bite correction, selection of braces.
- Drug. Taking drugs that relieve nervous tension, normalize sleep: T enoten, Glycine, drugs of plant origin (valerian root). It is possible to receive soothing baths. To reduce the contractility of the muscles, calcium, magnesium, and B vitamins are often prescribed.
- Physiotherapeutic. Relaxing massage, face packs. Warm compresses impose on 10 - 15 minutes on the cheekbone, the procedure is repeated 2 times a day. Compresses help to relax, relieve tension and pain in the muscles.
Although caps are an effective way to prevent and treat complications of bruxism, they should not be considered a complete treatment. To identify the causes of night gnashing is necessary a comprehensive examination of the child.
Prevention of night gnashing
In order to prevent the development of the problem, you need to pay attention to the health of the baby's mouth. Teach your child to care for teeth, treat gum diseases in time, fill teeth.
Try to protect your baby from stress, to improve the climate in the family. Emotional babies need to be maintained, taught to calm down on their own. Older children should learn self-relaxation techniques.
If the child is gritting his teeth in a dream, do not postpone the trip to the doctor for later. This will prevent the development of negative consequences, will help to quickly get rid of trouble.
Let's sum up
Many parents face the problem of night gnashing of teeth. Often these are short episodes, which pass on their own and do not require medical treatment.
If the creak of teeth becomes a private companion of sleep, be sure to pay attention to the duration and frequency of attacks. The problem will be indicated by the deterioration of the child’s general condition, weakness, irritability, fatigue, impaired concentration.
At the first suspicious symptoms, you should immediately consult a doctor, who will prescribe a complex of examinations, will understand the causes of the problem. In the case of bruxism, the treatment started on time will prevent the development of complications and keep the baby healthy.
Why do children grit their teeth in a dream according to popular theory
There are several reasons for this phenomenon, but it is common for people to associate night-time gnashing with worms. Before using home methods of treating helminths diligently, a caring mother of a baby needs to consult a specialist in a timely manner and determine the real pathogenic factor by clinical and laboratory methods. Otherwise, antihelmintic drugs will be ineffective; moreover, they will negatively affect the general state of children's digestion. As practice shows, the child grinds his teeth in a dream for completely different reasons.
Why does a child gnash his teeth at night according to Dr. Komarovsky
According to the "screen doctor", it is not so much rapidly progressing helminths that can cause a characteristic creak at night, but pathological processes in a children's body. Adults will immediately notice radical changes in the child's behavior, but should not be attributed to the features of the age category. At least for the purpose of prophylaxis, a visit to the district pediatrician, who will speed up the final diagnosis, will be useful. According to Dr. Komarovsky, the child creaks with his milk teeth in his sleep for the following reasons:
- poor heredity, when parents also suffered from bruxism in childhood,
- enlarged adenoids that need urgent treatment or removal,
- features of the first teething of milk teeth,
- acute deficiency of vitamins of group B.
What makes the child gnash his teeth in a dream for external reasons
Teeth gritting is often explained by social factors, that is, the lifestyle and habits of a restless child. For example, adults should understand that even positive emotions before bedtime can harm, especially if there are a lot of them. An impressionable kid in a dream, on a subconscious level, goes through the day passed, and a very unpleasant gnashing of teeth becomes a systematic reaction to excessive positive.
A period of heightened emotional excitability is not the only reason why a child gnashes his teeth at night in a dream. It is necessary to recall the sharp drops in atmospheric pressure and other natural phenomena that adversely affect the health and behavior of the hypersensitive child. If the parents start a personal diary of the baby and make the corresponding marks, it will become obvious to what atmospheric phenomena the grit is reacting so sharply in a dream.
Why does a child gnash his teeth at night for internal reasons
It often happens that the creaking of teeth is a pathology, that is, in the children's body, not everything is in order. This alarming sign is sometimes somewhat late, so it is necessary to examine the child at the very first symptom. If the underlying disease is resolved, the unpleasant gnashing itself goes away without additional medication involvement. Cases are different, but the following factors are considered pathogenic, why a child squeaks teeth at night:
- nervous breakdown, transferred stress, instability of the emotional sphere of the child,
- sleep disturbance with a tendency to chronic insomnia,
- exacerbation of maxillofacial pathologies (alternatively, muscle spasm),
- dental problems, such as an overbite, difficult eruption of the eighth position in the mouth,
- prolonged exposure to harmful products of intoxication on the children's body.
What to do if the child grits his teeth at night
No matter how much the creak of your teeth is heard, timely consultation with a specialist is important. Only in this case, the prevention and treatment of bruxism in a comfortable home environment will be as effective as possible. The first step is required, together with your doctor, to identify the pathogenic factor and eliminate it. The presence of the following events is important for this:
- elimination of stressful situations from a child’s life,
- long walks in the fresh air in order to avoid dangerous oxygen starvation,
- purchase of silicone caps with their wearing for the period of sleep,
- taking herbal remedies sedative action
- ensuring the flow of heat to the abdominal muscles during sleep.
If such actions have been done, but the effect is mediocre, it is recommended to consult a neurologist for advice, to use potent drugs with a number of side effects during treatment. Doctors do not recommend reaching such extreme measures, otherwise you can provoke a number of other diseases with serious complications for children's health.
Causes of squeak teeth in a dream
The famous pediatrician confirms that the creaking of teeth during sleep, called physicians bruxism, occurs in every third to fifth child under the age of 6-8 years. Komarovsky notes that bruxism happens in adults, but in children it is diagnosed much more often, and in most cases in boys.
По словам популярного врача, появление скрежета зубками связано с непроизвольным сокращением жевательной мускулатуры, вследствие чего челюсти ребенка бесконтрольно сжимаются.
Наиболее частыми причинами бруксизма Комаровский называет:
- Эмоциональные встряски, отрицательный стресс или чрезмерную усталость. Because of these factors, according to the well-known pediatrician, the nervous system of the child goes out of balance, which is manifested by various symptoms, among which bruxism is noted.
- Teething in children of the first years of life, as well as changing the teeth to permanent ones. Komarovsky notes that discomfort due to constant itching and pain makes children constantly rub their teeth together. At the same time, according to the pediatrician, such a reason often provokes gnashing of teeth not at night, but during the day.
- The defeat of the jaw joints or the violation of the bite. Statistics show that bruxism is a frequent manifestation of these pathologies.
- Heredity. In his practice, Komarovsky noted that the children of those parents who gritted their teeth in childhood had bruxism very often.
- Sleep disturbance Komarovsky emphasizes that bruxism often appears in children who suffer from nightmares, enuresis, saying, sleepwalking or snoring.
- Adenoiditis, runny nose, or otitis. A popular doctor notes that with such diseases, the child feels discomfort due to congestion or pain, and grit his teeth in response.
- Calcium deficiency, B-group vitamins, magnesium and amino acids. According to Komarovsky, these nutrients are important for normal muscle contraction. If there is a shortage of them, the child develops a convulsive syndrome, manifested by bruxism.
- Inadequate jaw loading. If the parents give the baby a little hard food, it can also cause squeak at night.
The connection of bruxism with worms
Komarovsky confirms that people have long been associated with gnashing of teeth with infection with helminths. And nowadays, he has heard more than once how the older generation recommends, at bruxism, to immediately "expel the worms." However, as medical research confirms, there is no direct connection between helminthic invasion and gnashing of teeth.
Komarovsky emphasizes that bruxism can appear both in children with worms, and in babies who do not have helminthiasis. Although, according to a well-known doctor, infection with worms can actually exacerbate the manifestation of bruxism, but exactly the same situation is possible in the absence of worms in the children's body. Watch a short video on this.
What should parents do?
Komarovsky calls bruxism a non-hazardous phenomenon, which in most cases resolves on its own and does not require any treatment. However, if it bothers the child very often, there is a threat to the baby’s teeth (they may be damaged and loosened). Then parents should show the child to the doctors.
For the treatment of bruxism, a well-known pediatrician advises you to contact a neurologist and a dentist, since in most children it is these specialists who can eliminate the causes of gnashing their teeth in a dream. To prevent the tooth enamel from erasing during nightly creaking teeth, Komarovsky recommends resorting to wearing a special mouth guard.
Why does a child gnash his teeth in a dream
Uncontrollable teeth creaking during sleep, called physicians bruxism, occurs in children more often than in adults. But what is especially interesting - in boys this phenomenon is observed many times more often than in girls. The doctors did not find an explanation for this phenomenon, but in part they were able to determine the causes of the occurrence of bruxism in children.
So, the most common reasons that a child is gritting his teeth in a dream are:
- 1 Excessive emotional fatigue, stress. Often, bruxism in children occurs precisely against the background of excessive nervous excitability or hyperactivity.
- 2 Eruption of the first milk teeth in young children, as well as the replacement of milk teeth with permanent ones. Doctors explain that severe discomfort due to constant itching during teething causes children to unconsciously rub their teeth together. Hence, bruxism in a dream.
- 3 Bruxism often occurs in children who suffer from nightmares and enuresis.
- 4 Sore throat, pharyngitis, allergic rhinitis, or otitis media. Doctors explain that with these and similar diseases the child "suffers" because of nasal congestion - as a result, he is forced to breathe through his mouth, which can provoke bruxism.
- 5 Sometimes a child gnashes his teeth in a dream because during the day his jaw muscles do not receive enough load. This can often be observed in children over one and a half years old, whose mothers continue to practice breastfeeding, and at the same time give the baby an insufficient amount of solid food.
Bruxism in children and worms: what is the connection
Ask any grandmother why the child is gritting his teeth in a dream, 9 out of 10 you will be answered: "He has worms!". Where did this belief come from - only God knows. But no representative of modern medicine is ready to confirm that a direct link between bruxism in children and infection with helminths does exist.
The only aspect that physicians note is that during a worm infestation, the child, as a rule, begins to grit his teeth more strongly in his sleep, if he has already had bruxism before. Most likely, this is due to the discomfort and pain that the baby is experiencing in a dream.
If it is difficult for you to convince your ancient subconscious in words, you can take the child’s tests to the laboratory to clear your parental conscience: they will instantly confirm if your child’s teeth are creaking in a dream because of worms, or his bruxism has nothing to do with parasites.
What to do if a child creaks in his sleep with his teeth
From a medical point of view, bruxism in children is not considered a disease as such. And, accordingly, he does not require any special treatment. Although some danger to the health of the child does exist. At a minimum, the baby can still damage the tooth enamel. And even at all - loosen healthy teeth.
Therefore, if you are concerned that your child is too gnashing his teeth in a dream, it makes sense to consult with specialists such as a children's dentist and a neurologist. Both are able to suggest how to influence this situation.
The concept of bruxism and its features in children
Bruxism - this is how physicians and scientists of the minds call the phenomenon, when the teeth rub against each other, uttering a gnash unpleasant to hearing. It is worth noting that this is not a disease, but simply a phenomenon, the causes of which may be several. But more on that later.
In children, bruxism is detected more frequently, but in adults it can also be observed in some cases. Moreover, in the latter, it is revealed at night, but children could squeak with their teeth, both during the day and at night.
Consequently, there are two types of bruxism:
- Night (involuntary) - involuntary contractions of the facial and jaw muscles, which causes friction of the teeth and characteristic sounds. Not controlled by consciousness, observed during sleep,
- Arbitrary - a phenomenon in which the child deliberately makes characteristic sounds, tightly closing his jaw. The process is fully controlled by the child, he does it consciously, at will, can easily stop.
The “attack” itself is usually short-lived (a few seconds), and its isolated manifestations should not cause concern to parents.
Night creaking teeth can be frequent, recurring every night - this is already a good reason to think. And for some parents, this is generally something of a shocking news: it is difficult to control the baby’s sleep, for example, if he has long been living in a separate room. It happens that bruxism and its causes remain hidden for quite a long time.
Bruxism is detected, usually purely by chance, however, some symptoms may indicate that the child is gritting his teeth at night:
- the baby may complain of pain in the cheekbones, as if he was chewing something for a long time,
- fatigue even after a long sleep, the child is distracted, feels “like a squeezed lemon”,
- ringing in the ears and disc F ort in the nose, throat or ears, somewhere "inside the head."
Perhaps, parasites, causing discomfort, cause such phenomena in some children, but the fact that the gnashing of children's teeth at night is 100% indicates the presence of worms - pure misunderstanding.
Nervosa, stress and disturbances in the work of the central nervous system. And here it is?
Not for nothing is the expression “childhood trauma”, because the stress experienced in childhood leaves a stronger imprint and affects not only mental health, but also physical. Children are more impressionable, especially if they are impulsive children with a moving psyche and an excitable character. Uncontrolled movement of the good we are due to overvoltage, their spasm can be the reason for the day too full of impressions, workload at school, family environment.
This may include sleep disorders in a child, which is also a possible consequence of neurosis. Sleepwalking, talking in a dream, sleepwalking and constant nightmares can deplete a child’s body, and a child often experiences overstrain and stress.
Perhaps this is the reason that does not require a serious diagnosis (often), medical intervention and attention of parents. The gnashing of teeth caused by their eruption or the replacement of a child's “kit” with a permanent one is a temporary phenomenon, passing just as suddenly as it appeared. Bruxism in this case is caused by discomfort during teething, the gums itch, swell and ache. In order to somehow reduce pain and itching, the baby can rub the teeth together, firmly squeeze the jaws and move them. Often, parents notice a child for such an activity during the day, but in some cases the child does it during sleep.
What to do? How to treat?
So, we realized that the main impact of such a "bad habit" falls on the central nervous system and the teeth, respectively, specialists, must visit, should be a neurologist and a dentist. It is these physicians who will help to identify “to the danger of evil” and prescribe adequate treatment, if this is really necessary.
I must say that drug treatment is prescribed in rare cases. Usually they use corrective devices or, as they say, “dig deeper”, figuring out the true cause of this phenomenon.
But you need to treat bruxism! Although E. Komarovsky believes that the phenomenon of bruxism should not cause concern to the parents of children of younger preschool age, however, persistent and frequent "customs" to rub their teeth together, especially in sleep. Must be taken into account. And already, it is imperative that doctors seek help for help if the child feels an obvious discomfort and discomfort for this reason.
- Psychological counseling will help to cope with the problem if it is caused by any stressful situations (a specialist will help identify them). Classes with a psychologist are important and will help the child to adapt, cope with the experiences and stress, learn to control their habits or even get rid of them.
- If the reason for all - cutting teeth, then the way out can be soothing gels for gums, special teethers and toys.
- Dentist and orthodontist will help correct the effects of night rattle and get rid of its root causes. Special corrective caps, plastics, bracket systems and appropriate dental treatment correct the situation.
- In some cases, prescribed physiotherapy treatment. Therapy helps relieve spasm, inflammation, if any.
- Sedatives may be prescribed as a drug treatment, as well as a number of other medicines depending on the specific situation.
Tips for parentsThe main and first thing that I want to tell you, dear mothers and fathers: everything will be fine! Excessive guardianship and vigil for a secret child is not good, but kids should not grow like mushrooms. A sensitive and attentive parent, noticing the problem, will not sit with folded hands, but will immediately begin to act. But the most difficult thing is to determine whether bruxism is a problem in your case. Therefore:
- Observe the baby, note the frequency and nature of the "creak", when, under what circumstances and how long it does. The systematic nature of the squeak should not be overlooked,
- day regimen must be kept perfectly! It’s time and fun time, especially if you know about your baby’s hyper-arousal,
- comfortable sleeping conditions favor a high-quality rest. Think about why a child may sleep restlessly and gnash his teeth,
- emotional support of the child and psychologically favorable situation in the family circle. The kid should not be a witness to clarify the relationship and abuse between parents. If your family is now experiencing some difficulties, try to solve your problems so that your child will not see or hear. Take care of his mental health,
- Watch your baby's diet. It must be complete and must include solid food. Porridge and mashed potatoes can provoke bruxism as a consequence of the lack of a chewing process,
- and, of course, give him your love and be sure to tell the baby how much he is dear to you and love him!
Types of bruxism in children
Depending on the time of day when symptoms appear, there are two types of the disease:
- daytime bruxism,
- night bruxism.
The big difference between these forms is that night bruxism is unchecked.
The jaws are compressed during sleep, and the child can not affect this feature of the body.
Often grinding is accompanied by the tapping of teeth against each other.
Gnash occurs sporadically, overnight episodes can be repeated several times.
An unpleasant squeak is not the only manifestation of the disease. Often it is accompanied by an increase in blood pressure, increased heart rate and respiratory changes.
With daytime bruxism is the most simple and favorable situation. A person can control himself, so the compression of the jaws during emotional overstrain will help to cope with the attack. There is a dependency between gnashing of teeth and stress.
Why does a child grit his teeth at night when he sleeps?
One of the most common causes of bruxism in a dream is dental disease. If your baby’s nervous system is all right, he is sleeping peacefully and is not anxious, then the root of evil is to be found in reference books on dentistry. Among them, the most common are:
- development of the wrong bite,
- uncomfortable braces,
- anomalies of the teeth and gums, which force the child to strongly compress the jaws,
- changing primary teeth,
- inflammation of oral tissues,
- excessive damage to tooth enamel,
- malformation of the jaw joints or trauma of these joints.
The appearance of new teeth is a possible cause of infant bruxism. The teeth are cut, which causes itching and discomfort in the area of the gums. The child tries to get rid of unpleasant sensations and involuntarily squeezes the jaws with characteristic creaking. Check your baby's gums by touch. If they are swollen, it means that the guesses about the cutting teeth were confirmed.
Your assistant in this case will be a special children's gel, which can massage the gums, thereby eliminating the discomfort. Also, it will not be out of place to buy a special teether, which infants will be able to chew on plenty during the day. The first baby teeth should cut up to two years, after this time gap the baby stops making creaking sounds with his teeth.
The next crisis period will be the change of milk teeth to the root ones. Usually the process of loss of milk teeth begins in the fifth year of life.
Often, bruxism develops due to the fact that the child has disrupted sleep. Probably, all children love to sleep, but you should not be allowed to lie in bed after dinner. The rise should be done in the morning and be accompanied by a nutritious breakfast and exercise. It is necessary to ensure that the child woke up at the same time, regardless of the weekday or weekend.
Getting ready for bed and going to bed should be in the evening, also always at the same time. Gradually, the body will get used to this rhythm and will adjust the peaks of its activity under it. The problem of many mummies is: children simply do not want to fall asleep in the evening.
The child obediently goes to bed, but for some reason can not sleep.
Against the background of insomnia, the creaking of the jaw and teeth can develop during a long awaited sleep.
Try using simple folk remedies: let your child drink a cup of warm milk before going to bed, read a book to him, support him and say good night.
With caution and on the recommendation of the pediatrician to use valerian root and other drugs to relax and relieve anxiety.
Wrong way of life
Under the wrong way of life refers to a whole range of targeted measures that harm physical and mental health.
Например, негативный эффект на организм ребёнка оказывает чересчур жирная, жареная пища.
Фастфуд – излюбленное лакомство многих детей, но оно может привести к заболеваниям желудка и полости рта, что станет подспорьем для бруксизма.
It is important to monitor oral hygiene and to teach children to brush their teeth twice a day. If the baby will clean them more often, there is a great risk of grinding off the enamel, and if less often, the occurrence of caries.
Bad habits - an integral feature of the teenage rebellion, for which you need to carefully monitor. It is important to explain to the teenager the harm of smoking and alcohol by talking about the possible consequences. Bruxism in adolescence may well be due to excessive predilection for alcoholic beverages and smoking. In any case, do not shout at your child.
Through screams, you add stress to an already weakened body that will undoubtedly affect health.
Gnashing of teeth in children can be observed not only at night, but during the day. The causes of teeth grinding in the daytime lie in both internal and external factors.
About how to whiten teeth with hydrogen peroxide, read here.
All about the proper care of your teeth and mouth you will find in this information.
Unfortunately, stress accompanies us throughout life, but in childhood it can have the most destructive effects on the body. The human psyche has not yet formed, life goals and attitudes are not defined, and a wave of problems and obstacles is overwhelming.
The most obvious cause of stress in childhood is the family.
Excessively strict upbringing leads to emotional exhaustion and pathologies of the nervous system.
At the age of up to 6 years, a fatal value on the psyche can have an occasional shout or slap for an absurd offense.
Another significant cause of nervous tension - conflicts between parents. To create an unfavorable atmosphere within the family, it is not necessary to talk in a raised voice and enter into open confrontation with the spouse. Many parents think that the so-called "cold" war is safe for children. This is a big mistake, the child perfectly feels your detachment and understatement, even if the reasons for this remain secret for him.
In these cases, solutions to all problems are right in the hands of mom and dad. Perhaps they should improve the climate within the family. Together with the warm and trusting atmosphere, the emotional health of your son will return to you.
At the school bench
At the age of 7 years, the child goes to school, which in itself is a great deal of stress.
Unusual environment and new ways of activity can introduce a baby into a stupor.
Confusion and overwork can manifest itself in the form of nervous tics, headaches and, including, uncontrolled bruxism.
The school team and the socialization inside it is another big challenge for a first grader.
Some children have a hard time getting along in a team, they experience anxiety and anxiety. Along with these symptoms, bruxism appears in their lives.
Excessive loads are a new danger that traps a student in school corridors. Teachers, for one reason or another, can give the class an increased load. The child is trying to cope with it, and high fatigue prevents him. The hypertrophied sense of responsibility leads to the fact that he takes on the task at any cost, which inevitably leads to a nervous breakdown. If negative experiences are reinforced by disapproval of the family, the child risks earning not only bruxism, but also a whole complex of disorders of a psycho-neurological nature.
When it comes to bruxism, the first thing that comes to mind is the association with the gnashing of teeth and the unpleasant tapping of the jaws during sleep. However, these are not the only symptoms of an insidious disease.
These signs are indirect, but their occurrence will only confirm the clinical picture:
- Headaches upon waking.
- Pain and cramps in the muscles of the face.
- Fatigue after a night of sleep.
- Pain in the bridge of the nose.
Often, bruxism is just one detail from the overall picture that you should unravel. The creaking of the jaw can signal many disorders of the neuropsychiatric spectrum. For clarification, it is recommended to visit a psychologist and a neurologist.
It is important to understand that gnashing of teeth does not occur overnight. This is a disease that is formed under the influence of several factors at once on the child's body. It is almost impossible to meet a situation in which a tooth creak would be due to one thing. The complex of reasons is always to blame. The relationship of all causes can be traced through the example of a simple everyday situation.
The child gets a bad grade in school. He is experiencing stress and perhaps guilt. Next, the student comes home, where for this assessment receives a reprimand from the parents. Thus, stress reaches its maximum point. To calm down, a schoolboy reaches out for a cigarette - the wrong lifestyle is added to stress.
It is easy to assume that the likelihood of sleep disturbances and the emergence of tooth gnashing is extremely high. Correct such a situation can only a set of measures. The key word is the interaction of the child, the parent and the pediatrician.
The doctor, the child and the parent together must find the optimal set of measures to cope with the illness.
You may need a lifestyle change, medical help and counseling with a psychologist.
It’s not worth letting the disease flow by itself and hope that with age the unpleasant gnashing of teeth will disappear.
Indeed, sometimes disturbing symptoms disappear as they grow up, but this is more a coincidence than a statistic. In some cases, without treatment, bruxitis remains with the child together for the rest of their lives.
Oral care is not only about brushing your teeth. How to care for your teeth, every adult should know.
Ways to relieve toothache at home are described in this article.
In order to defeat bruxism - you need to take care of the child and have patience. It can take many months to completely get rid of tooth grit. Your immediate task is to listen to the recommendations of the pediatrician and provide moral support to the child during treatment.
The essence of the problem
Teeth grinding in a dream or, in medical terms, bruxism occurs in about 15–20% of children. Moreover, most often such a sign appears between the ages of two and three years, and by seven years, the situation, as a rule, normalizes.
But for some, it rattles later, namely during adolescence, during the period of active growth. In addition, bruxism is more common in boys than in girls.
Why does a child creak in a dream? Even experienced physicians sometimes fail to accurately determine the causes of squeak. But still the following factors can provoke the occurrence of such an unpleasant symptom:
- Diseases of the nasopharynx or upper respiratory tract, such as adenoiditis, sinusitis, nasal polyps, rhinitis. When they usually occur strong discomfort, lack of air, and because of such manifestations can be creaking. In some cases, as medical practice shows, bruxism really disappeared without a trace after removal of the adenoids.
- Digestive problems. Some doctors believe that when gastric juice is thrown into the esophagus, partly into the throat and even into the oral cavity (this often happens with gastroesophageal reflux), the child may experience severe discomfort and gnash his teeth because of it.
- Muscle spasm It can occur in various diseases of muscle tissue or the nervous system, for example, in epilepsy. And since the jaw is also controlled by the muscles, with their unconscious cuts, the teeth can rub hard together.
- Lack of some nutrients. With a lack of certain vitamins and microelements (such as magnesium, vitamins of group B, potassium), the so-called convulsive readiness of muscles arises, that is, they are almost constantly strained, which can lead to sleep startles, cramps, teeth grit and other symptoms.
- Trouble sleeping Often bruxism occurs in children who are prone to sleepwalking, frequent nightmares, disruptions in the alternation of sleep phases.
- Stressful situations. The nervous system of the baby is not fully formed, so that any impact can somewhat disrupt its functioning and lead to the appearance of a number of neurological symptoms.
- Often bruxism begins in the period of teething, and this is quite understandable. Firstly, many babies have severe discomfort, because the gums itch badly, sometimes they hurt. In addition, the teeth - it is something new for the crumbs, so he begins to actively explore them, including in a dream.
- Malocclusion. If the teeth grow incorrectly, then they can touch each other, interfere with normal chewing or even closing the jaw. Gnash in a dream can be a consequence of strong discomfort or a kind of response of the body to such a problem: he will try to get back to normal, gradually grinding his teeth (such an opinion is found among physicians).
- There is also a hereditary factor. So if a parent in childhood or adolescence gnashed his teeth during sleep, then the child may also be confronted with bruxism.
- Adolescence. At this stage, there are growth spikes, strong changes in the work of the child's body. First of all, all parts of his body, including his jaw and teeth, are actively growing. And this can lead to gnash. Secondly, adolescents often experience hormonal changes, and hormones can have the most direct effect on the nervous system, which can also trigger bruxism.
As for worms, then, as a rule, their presence does not cause gnashing.
Why is this dangerous?
If you do not think that gnashing of teeth in a dream can be a manifestation of a disease, including a dangerous one, then we can conclude that such a sign is not dangerous. But in reality this is not at all the case.
If children's milk teeth will constantly rub against each other, their enamel will become very thin, and cracks will form on it, through which bacteria will easily penetrate. And this, in turn, can lead to the development of caries.
In addition, bruxism can affect the psychological state and development of the child. If the rattle is quite loud, then it can interfere with sleep, do not give a deep sleep. As a result, the baby will not be able to get enough sleep, will experience difficulties in learning.
What to do if a child in a dream grit his teeth? It is necessary to consider a specific situation and try to find the causes of bruxism. But often doctors give parents the following recommendations: