- Proper care for Kalanchoe
- Reproduction of Kalanchoe: features
- Useful properties of Kalanchoe
The plant has fleshy and thick leaves. Kalanchoe has come to us from subtropics and tropics. For cultivation in the home are suitable two types of Kalanchoe: cirrus and degremona.
This flower loves a bright light, so it is better to have it on the south window. The plant does not require constant adherence to temperature, it will not be afraid of drops of 17-25 degrees. In the winter, Kalanchoe perfectly experiences dry air, for it is not a hindrance. Home flower Kalanchoe has a huge number of types of inflorescences of different colors: from bright orange, red or purple to tender white.
In order for Kalanchoe to blossom, you need to create certain conditions:
1. Light day should go at least 12 hours. At the same time the temperature should be maintained at 15-18 degrees. Without enough light, you will not get large flowers with bright colors.
2. Even in winter, the flower does not need to be sprayed. Take supplementary mineral fertilizers as top dressing. Fertilize in the summer once a week, in the winter - once a month.
3. If you want to achieve active development and growth of Kalanchoe, then take a close pot. The soil should consist of a part of leafy ground and turf, it must contain sand and humus. The presence of wood ash to activate growth.
The plant is propagated by children, seeds, grafting.
In the case of children, you must take a small baby from an adult plant. Put it upside down and sprinkle about 1 cm of prepared soil with soil. Watering is required every day in small portions. After some time, you can get several plants from each child. The transplant of children is carried out together with the earth lump.
The plant propagates by cuttings in a similar way. Take when pruning a plant from pruned stems several cuttings, plant them in wet sand, wrap with a film to accelerate rooting. Before transplanting the cuttings in individual pots, prepare high-quality drainage.
For reproduction use even fallen leaves! They are enough to put in the sand, pour, drag capacity with film. It is better to carry out such a manipulation in June. The same goes for seeds.
When the plant stops blooming, prune it. Remove the withered branches, form a crown. After pruning Kalanchoe a period of rest is required. Reduce the amount of watering, pick up a darker place.
The leaves may begin to dry out, become yellow. If the lower foliage has turned yellow - this is a normal process. Yellowed middle tier is a sign of violation of the rules of care. Then pay special attention to watering: let's completely dry the ground between waterings. Hold for a week - for Kalanchoe drought is not terrible, but overmoistening can have a bad effect.
It is worth noting that periodically the plant needs to be updated, it will not be forever green.
Transplantation of flowering kalanchoe is very undesirable, such a procedure should be carried out only after the end of flowering.
Replant Kalanchoe every spring. To do this, prepare the "correct" soil: Mix part of the turf land with part of the leaf and peat land, add a portion of sand and brick dust.
Pull out the old plant along with the ground. Act carefully - do not damage the root system! Repot the flower in a bigger pot.
Signs of plant disease
Although the plant and unpretentious, but from the wrong care the plant may begin to suffer. There are several signs by which one can determine that care for Kalanchoe is incorrect:
- fallen leaves are a sign that the plant lacks nutrition,
- with juicy and healthy leaves there is no flowering - the reason lies in the lack of lighting,
- black spots on foliage are a sign that the plant is experiencing an excess of moisture and low temperature.
If you take the responsibility of caring for such a home plant, then remember about the possible appearance of pests. Kalanchoe can suffer from mildew if it is in too wet and cold room. With an excess of heat and moisture, powdery mildew appears on the plant.
All this is easy to avoid, just create the specified conditions for the plant!
Features of the plant
The birthplace of this flower is island of Madagascar, but you can meet him almost throughout Asia. It grows well both in greenhouses and at home. This plant belongs to the family of Crassulaceae. Possessing thick stems and leaves, it is able to accumulate moisture and do without watering for a long time. The thin film which is on them interferes with evaporation. All these points should be considered while caring for this decorative creation.
Kalanchoe: home care
The principles of care are as follows:
- regular watering
- necessary lighting and temperature,
- correct feeding
- protection from disease.
Further we will consider each of these principles in more detail.
Flowering plant does not impose any serious requirements for watering, even prefers a small drought. Of course, in hot weather, Kalanchoe needs to be watered as often as possible, but in winter, the frequency of irrigation is reduced to once every two weeks. It should be remembered that the stagnation of moisture contributes to the appearance of rot, which can even destroy the plant.
It would be better if the pot with a flower, besides the ground, contains drainage, which will keep the soil in optimal condition. Watering the plants is carried out not only from above, but also in the pan.
Lighting and temperature
Flower care includes the right lighting and the necessary temperature conditions. Unlike most indoor plants, flowering kalanchoe loves direct sunlight. In winter, he prefers to be at rest and is transferred from his sunny window to a darkened one.
Surprisingly, for the plant to start blooming reduce the length of daylight. In natural conditions, this happens with the onset of winter, so the Kalanchoe begins to blossom in the cold period. If the florist wants this to happen at another time of the year, it is necessary to reduce the daylight artificially to 10 hours. To do this, you can put a tight bag on the pot or, in a certain evening, put it in the cupboard, and get it back in the morning.
An important point in the care is considered the temperature, which is also different in the summer and winter. In the warm season, the flower can be in a room with a temperature of +18 to +28 degrees, and in winter it easily tolerates cooler conditions with temperatures from +10 to +16 degrees. Decorative Kalanchoe to the liking of even a warmed loggia or balcony.
For a comfortable stay at home, this plant need to repotas its root system expands very quickly. This should be done in April-May, during the intensive growth of the flower. Duration of daylight should be 12 hours and, if necessary, create additional lighting.
For transplant use a new pot, which should be much wider than the previous one, and the composition of the earth should remain the same. The flower from the container should be removed very carefully, so as not to accidentally damage the earthen room.
Blooming Kalanchoe does not impose special requirements on the quality of the soil, therefore it can be perfectly both in dense and loose earth. Well add more sand. Preparing the soil for transplanting a flower at home, it should be disinfected.
To Kalanchoe flowered magnificently and beautifully, it is necessary to fertilize it correctly and in a timely manner. This should be done once a month. To feed the plant best fertilizer for succulents, but the use of complex additives ensures abundant flowering.
Fertilizer is applied very carefully, since an excessive amount of water contributes to the abundant growth of green mass, but you can not wait for colors. It is best to make half indicated on the packaging rate.
Care for Kalanchoe at home includes protect it from various diseases. Although this happens quite rarely, you should be prepared for anything.
If the leaves of the plant are covered with white, gray or brown spots - this indicates that you want to change care. For example, there are spots due to excessive soil moisture, so you should reduce the flow of moisture. Excess feedings may also affect their formation, in which case they stop using fertilizers or change the soil.
Often indoor flowers are attacked by aphids, because of which the leaves begin to turn yellow and fall off. To cure the plant, prune the affected areas and treat with a preparation from these insects or soapy water.
Care Kalanchoe includes its reproduction. This plant can be purchased at a flower shop, but it often happens that after purchase begins to languish and ache. The easiest way is to breed it yourself, and this can be done in different ways:
- by splitting a large bush,
- rooting cuttings
- planting a separate sheet,
- sowing seeds.
At home, a large bush is divided when it is necessary to freshen it up. But a divided flower may not take root or will be restored for a long time.
The simplest and most common method of reproduction is rooting cuttings. The roots of a small stem are formed very quickly, which allows it to easily take root in a new pot. About a month later, the bush becomes very lush.
From the parent plant, you can pinch off not only the stalk, but also the leaf. It gets accustomed as quickly as the cutting, only reaches the right size in a year.
At home, this decorative flower is propagated with the help of seeds that are very small in such a plant, that complicates their landing. Lay them on the surface of the soil, slightly pressing into it, but in no case sprinkling them. Then the pot is covered with glass or plastic bag. To create comfortable conditions for seed germination, make diffused sunlight, carry out a small airing and put the container in a warm place. After germination of seeds with glass or a package is removed, and the pot is placed in a sunny place.
Is it necessary to prune kalanchoe during flowering? Only in the event that he was attacked by pests or a flower fell ill. This is done very simply - sick areas are cut off at the junction with healthy ones.
Since flowering greatly weakens the plant, it is necessary make him rest periods. To do this, hold the following activities:
- pruned all flower stalks,
- the pot is set in a cool shade
- The plant is not watered for about 1.5 months.
After a period of rest, Kalanchoe is returned to its usual place and fertilized.
Does Kalanchoe need pinching? The fact is that the plant often does not re-bloom. The problem may lie in the thinning of the shoots due to poor intake of minerals. This can lead to their complete drying. That is why hold nip Kalanchoe.
It is possible to pinch weak shoots with anything, but this should be done slowly and very carefully. If this happens, the wound is cured by sprinkling it with charcoal or ash.
Thus, we figured out what is the Kalanchoe, care at home for which does not cause any difficulties. This plant can go on for a long time and without special care at the expense of its own reserves, but in this case it will not be so lush and healthy.
Types of Kalanchoe
To understand what kind of care a flower needs is easier, knowing where its homeland is. Kalanchoe in nature there are more than 200 species. It grows in India, Australia, Southeast Asia, Madagascar, tropical regions of Africa and America and the islands of New Guinea. According to legend, its leaves saved from the fever of a Russian sailor left by his comrades on the shore. He chewed shoots and recovered, after which he called the plant “Kalanh”, which meant “health” in the language of the local tribe. Travelers brought a flower to Europe, and they began to plant it with pleasure as a houseplant.
The following types of Kalanchoe are most common in flower shops.
- Rosaline mix It is distinguished by its small size and rapid flowering, which lasts up to 10 weeks.
- Blossfeld The plant has dark green leaves with a reddish edging. Mostly flowering occurs at the beginning of spring.
- Flaming. Kalanchoe got its name from the flowers of orange-red shade, collected in umbrella inflorescences.
- Terry. The oval leaves of this plant are slightly fleece to the touch, and its flowers are bright pink in color.
- Briofillum. The flower with fleshy multi-colored leaves in a speck blooms dim inflorescences in the form of a panicle. However, its unusual colors of the leaves themselves are very elegant.
- Don Sergio. This hybrid variety does not have medicinal properties, but can bloom up to six months. Kalanchoe Don Sergio requires the same care as other species.
In nature, Kalanchoe prefers open spaces to receive as much light as possible. For this reason, the apartment should choose a window facing south or south-west, i.e., well lit during the day. No need to block his tulle, as the sun's rays will not harm either the leaves or the flowers of the plant.
There is one secret that allows you to get bookmarks of buds from Kalanchoe. Being a plant of a short day, it prepares to blossom with a daily illumination of 10-12 hours. Having isolated it for 1-1.5 months from the sun for the rest of the time, it will be possible to wait for the appearance of buds.
Air temperature and humidity
Summer temperature in the area of +22 ° С will be suitable for the plant, and winter temperature, if possible, should be lowered to + 15-17 ° С. Approximately the same mode Kalanchoe gets in the habitat. If the temperature is above +25 ° C, the leaves will wilt and crumble. Frequent watering will not save the situation.
Like all indoor plants, water the Kalanchoe better than the settled filtered water at room temperature. The best option would be melt water. Juicy fleshy leaves accumulate moisture well, so in summer the flower should be watered 2-3 times a week.
The signal for action is dried up topsoil. In winter, when the temperature is kept at +15 ° C, it is rarely possible to water the plant.
When preparing the soil for this flower, special attention should be paid to drainage. Stagnant water will cause the roots to rot and die. In hot weather, the soil should be well moistened, but daily watering should be avoided. It is permissible to lightly fill the pot tray with water to ensure sufficient moisture.
Loose soil, consisting of sod, peat, leafy soil and humus, will give the flower everything you need for excellent growth. Containing a little sour soil fits perfectly.
Fertilizing and fertilizing
When the house Kalanchoe appears the important question is how to properly care for him in terms of adding fertilizer. Problems with home plants due to lack of nutrients:
- cessation of growth
- yellowness of the lower leaves,
- brown spots on the leaves,
- lack of peduncle.
Each case corresponds to the lack of a specific trace element. Applying fertilizer, you can quickly return to the plant a healthy look. Kalanchoe unpretentious in terms of feeding. More often the flower is much worse with its excess than in the absence.
It is better to choose the dose of fertilizer in accordance with the instructions, so that the result is satisfactory.
Fertilizer application schedule (once every 2 weeks):
- in the spring with the active growth of the flower requires nitrogen,
- during the formation of buds and flowering need to add potassium and phosphorus.
After flowering, fertilizing is reduced to 1 time per month. In winter, it is not required at all. Fertilizers for succulents are presented in flower shops. They must be diluted with plenty of water to avoid burns to the root system.
And the leaves and roots of Kalanchoe grow very quickly. During the season, the plant is able to reach a height of 40 cm. Thanks to this feature, it will be necessary to repot the flower annually. The best time to transplant Kalanchoe is an early spring, except for the flowering period. Otherwise, the buds will fall off, and the plant will hurt.
Before transplanting the soil in a pot, it is necessary to moisten generously so that it softens and does not damage the roots. The flower should be removed with a clod of earth and gently shake it.
If rot is visible on the roots or the lower leaves are dark and curled, the damaged parts should be cut off. If you wish, you can divide the kalanchoe into several plants, since there are always "kids" under the main flower.
Next is a transfer to a new pot with soil poured over the drainage. Having placed a flower, it is necessary to compact the soil and, if necessary, pour more. Поверхность грунта после пересадки нужно засыпать мульчой или ракушками с галькой.
Таким образом, растение будет медленнее разрастаться за счет новых побегов.
Обрезка и прищипывание
At the end of flowering in Kalanchoe, it is necessary to cut off the peduncle, as it will gradually dry out anyway. With sufficient light, the flower gives a lot of new shoots that grow unevenly and violate the integral appearance of the plant. It is also better to cut off the strongest shoots.
Some flower growers, to preserve the flower volume, pinch the tops of slightly grown shoots. If a wound is formed after this procedure, it can be powdered with a piece of charcoal. Each cut usually gives several shoots over time, and the flower becomes fluffy.
Pest and disease control
The small white secretions found on the leaves were most likely due to the infection of the plant with a mealy bug. It feeds on Kalanchoe juice and quickly hits the flower. All stains should be carefully removed, then spray the leaves with mineral oil. The most affected shoots and leaves are best removed.
Mites and aphids fly into the room through the open window in summer and take root on the leaves of Kalanchoe. Ticks multiply in warmth and dryness on the back of the sheet, and aphids in generously fertilized soil.
When stagnant water in the ground or excessive bait on the leaves may appear brown patina and stains. They show the wrong care, which should be changed immediately. The plant needs to be transplanted into a looser soil with good drainage. Defective leaves must be removed, as are parts of the roots that are rotten from excess moisture. Having corrected the mistakes, no additional measures are required. The plant will quickly return to normal.
An unpleasant problem for all indoor plants creates powdery mildew with the defeat of the leaves of Kalanchoe. It occurs because of too warm and dry air and is capable of spilling over to other flowers standing next to the patient. Spraying the plant with fungicides and moving it to a cooler place makes it easy to beat the disease.
If the Kalanchoe is frozen, brown spots will appear on its stem and the plant will dry out. It is very important to observe the correct temperature and not to overcool and not to overdry it.
How to "make" Kalanchoe blossom?
The store Kalanchoe sold blooming or with a lot of inflorescences. This is due to the use of artificial amplifiers of growth of peduncles in the greenhouses. Typically, the plant blooms and wait until next year for new inflorescences does not work, even with proper care. How to make Kalanchoe blossom at home?
Kalanchoe blooms in spring, but for the emergence of buds he needs to create an artificial winter, as in his native tropics. A pot with a flower can be placed between the frames or on a warmed loggia, where the temperature does not fall below +10 ° C. Watering it costs quite a bit so as not to wither leaves, and reduce a sunny day to 10 hours a day.
Houseplants require care and meticulous care. One needs sunlight, the other he burns leaves. When purchasing a flower, you should analyze the location of the apartment windows in order to select the appropriate variety.
Properly fertilized and watered, growing in beautiful pots plants at any time of the year will decorate the room. Their juicy greens and bright flowers will create a joyful mood. It was not for nothing that the nobles and the rich first of all built greenhouses on the estates and hunted rare species of exotic plants. People are always touched by their natural and fragile beauty.
My name is Julia Jenny Norman, I am the author of articles and books. I cooperate with publishing houses "OLMA-PRESS" and "AST", as well as with glossy magazines. Currently helping to promote virtual reality projects. I have European roots, but I spent most of my life in Moscow. There are many museums and exhibitions that are positive and give inspiration. In my free time I study French medieval dances. I am interested in any information about that era. I suggest you articles that can captivate new hobbies or just give pleasant minutes. We need to dream about the beautiful, then it will come true!
Description and features of the plant
In nature, there are more than 200 species of Kalanchoe. They have different origins - some came to us from Madagascar, others from Asia and South Africa. Most plants do not resemble each other, have their own bright characteristics.
Only a few varieties are grown in apartments. They fall into two categories:
- Decorative leafy. The apartments do not bloom. The leaves are fleshy, of different shapes depending on the variety. Easy to form, quickly restored after trimming. Therapeutic Kalanchoe belongs to the ornamental deciduous plants.
- Decorative flowering. Flowers small, numerous, clustered in paniculate inflorescences. Artificially bred varieties with double flowers. Color from white to rich red.
It is considered easy to clean, unpretentious plant. Suitable for growing novice growers.
Interesting! As a houseplant, Kalanchoe has gained popularity due to its healing properties. In folk medicine, it is used to treat a variety of diseases - from the cold to tuberculosis.
Kalanchoe varieties are common, combining ease of care and high decorative properties.
- Kalanchoe Laciniata. A characteristic feature - strongly dissected leaves. In the people a flower nicknamed deer horns. The leaves are fleshy, heavy. Under its own weight down. Sometimes grown as an ampelous plant. Flowers - rare, tubular.
- Kalanchoe Kalandiva. Differs abundant flowering. Peduncle short, inflorescence in the form of a volumetric cap, consists of small flowers of different colors. Flowering long - up to six months. The leaves are fleshy, glossy, saturated color.
- Kalanchoe felt. The leaves are ovate, slightly pointed, covered with dense felt bloom. People call it cat ears. Shoots are upright, heavily leafy. Inflorescences are paniculate or umbellate, consist of medium-sized flowers with purple, brown, red corolla and a silvery trimmed tube.
- Kalanchoe Blossfeld. A miniature flowering variety up to 30 cm. The leaves are rounded, with cloves, sometimes with a red border. Flowering is long - from the beginning of winter and almost to summer. Grade unpretentious to the conditions of detention.
- Kalanchoe Degremona. Decorative leafy, not flowering variety. It has healing properties. The leaves are triangular, slightly concave inward. It grows quickly, requires forming. On the edges of the leaves are formed kids.
- Kalanchoe Mangina. The leaves are small obovate. Edge serrate, short stalks, located on the stem opposite. Drooping flowers sit on long stalks.
Tip! When buying plants carefully inspect it. The characteristics of a healthy plant are elastic leaves, uniform color, lack of bloom, compact bush, lack of gaps on the stem. Inspect the back of the sheet for pests.
All types of Kalanchoe unpretentious. The plant dies rarely, tolerates any conditions. Unsuitable conditions only lead to loss of decoration.
- Lighting. There are no high lighting requirements. In the direct sun is not set, placed in light penumbra. In winter, you need more light - the flower is put on the south window. With a long stay in the shade, the flowers become small, the plant is drawn out and pales. For flowering need light day at least 12 hours.
- Temperature. Resistant to heat above 30 ° C. In winter it needs coolness - no higher than 18 ° C. A dormant period is necessary for planting flower buds. The process of their formation is inhibited by elevated or lowered temperatures.
- Humidity. Normally grows at high and low humidity. Additional air moistening measures are not required. To remove dust, the flower is sprayed with a further wipe with a dry, soft cloth.
- Watering. Moisturize the soil regularly. In the summer they water abundantly, in the fall - moderately. The need for irrigation is determined by soil moisture. In winter, watering is limited. Kalanchoe endures short-term drought, but does not like dampness.
- The soil. Soil for Kalanchoe take loose and nutritious. Ready-made mixtures are suitable for succulents. Independently prepared from equal proportions of peat, turf, sand and leaf soil. For loosening, add a small amount of perlite or coal.
- Feeding. Bring in complexes for cacti. The optimal scheme is from May to July twice a month. Before winter, feeding is stopped. During the laying of flower buds make a moderate amount of fertilizer.
- Transfer. Can grow in a single pot for a long time. Transplanted as the growth of the root system. Pot for Kalanchoe take medium size. The use of large volumes adversely affects the quality and duration of flowering.
- Crop. Intensively growing varieties regularly pinch. Growth restriction leads to the formation of a lush, neat bush. In the spring strongly stretched shoots shorten by half.
Tip! For abundant flowering before the budding period, it is recommended to create additional lighting, to make phosphate fertilizers. Remove the withered Kalanchoe flowers regularly - this will prolong the flowering period.
Origin of Kalanchoe
The described resident of the window sill is considered a therapeutic representative of the flora, often used for nasal congestion and other inflammatory processes. The question whether it is possible to apply the flowering Kalanchoe for medicinal purposes is still controversial. But even if it is impossible to get rid of a cold with the help of such a plant, it will please the owners with its flowers.
This type of room decoration belongs to the family of Crassulaceae, and in translation it means “a plant with thick skin”
The island of Madagascar is considered the birthplace of a green creation, but its growth can be found almost throughout Asia. Grown blooming handsome in greenhouses and in the room. This type of room decoration belongs to the family of Crassulaceae, and in translation it means “plant with thick skin”. Thanks to its thick stems and leaves, it accumulates moisture and does a long time without watering. Evaporation is prevented by a thin film covering the leaves and stems. All these features must be considered to care for the flowering creature.
Highlight the basic principles of care:
- Watering mode.
- Requirements for light and temperature.
- Breeding methods.
- Top dressing, pruning.
- Disease protection.
And now we will try to consider in detail each of these principles.Video clip how to grow Kalanchoe home
Blooming Kalanchoe undemanding to watering. We can say that he likes drought more than excessive watering. Of course, in summer, when it is hot outside, you should water the flower more often, and in winter, the frequency of watering is reduced to once every two weeks. Moreover, the stagnation of moisture causes the appearance of rot, which sometimes turns out to be disastrous for your ward.
It is desirable that in a pot with a flower besides the ground there is a drainage, which allows to maintain the optimum condition of the soil for the residents of the window sill. And you can water your pet not only from above, but also into the pan.
Blooming Kalanchoe undemanding to watering
Requirements for light and temperature
Unlike many indoor plants, flowering kalanchoe can be under direct sunlight, especially in summer. In winter, he needs a period of rest, and the pot is transferred from the sunny window to the shaded one.
The temperature regime, as is the case with light, differs in summer and winter
An interesting feature of the care is that in order for flowering to start it is necessary to reduce the length of daylight hours. In the natural climate this happens with the arrival of winter. Therefore, on cold days, a resident of the window sill delights the eye with its bright colors of flowers.
But if you want the plants to bloom at a different time of the year, you can artificially reduce daylight hours to about 10 hours. To do this, put a pack of thick paper on the flower pot. Or just in certain evening hours clean the pet in the closet, and in the morning get it out and put it on the window-sill again.
Temperature, as in the case of light, differs in summer and winter. In the warm season, the temperature ranges from +18 to +28 degrees. In winter, the conditions of stay are also cooler - + 10 - +16 degrees. The flower will even like it if you take it out to a warmed loggia or balcony. This will be the so-called quiescent period - an important requirement in the care of flowering kalanchoe, especially if it has actively blossomed before.Video about the right care
For comfortable growth, flowering kalanchoe needs to be transplanted. This is due to the rapidly expanding root system. This is best done in April-May, when the plant comes the days of active growth. The main thing is that the duration of the day was more than 12 hours. If this is not possible, then use additional lighting.
For comfortable growth, flowering kalanchoe needs to be transplanted
When transplanting at home, the new pot should be slightly wider than the previous one. But the composition of the land should be the same. Remove the flower from the container should be carefully, so as not to damage the earthen room. You can add to the bush fresh cuttings, as long as the future overgrown plants have enough place in the pot. And if the neighbors in the pot will be a different color, then you can get a charming bouquet.
Blooming Kalanchoe is not very demanding on the quality of the soil, it will be good in both loose and dense soil. But if sand is present in it, the flower will be grateful to you. It is advisable to disinfect the soil before use when preparing the soil at home.
Top dressing and pruning
To get a beautiful blooming green creation in the home, you need to timely fertilize. The frequency of fertilization - once a month. You need to feed fertilizer for succulents, but the use of complex additives will provide abundant flowering.
Fertilizer should be applied carefully, because an excess of water can cause abundant growth of green mass, and you can not wait for colors. Therefore, it is recommended to bring half the norm from that indicated on the package with fertilizer. Moderate feeding at home will also have a beneficial effect on the growing representative of the flora.
The formation of a bush is an integral part in the care of a blooming pet. On a young bush, you must pinch the shoots to give the flower the correct shape. Also, on an adult flower during the period of active growth (spring-summer), it is necessary to cut off the upper part of the shoots to form lateral stems.
Removal of diseased, damaged leaves and shoots is an important step for good flowering. It is necessary to cut off the flowering buds, and it is desirable to do this as close as possible to the stem in order to protect the flower from rot.Video about care and breeding
The reasons why Kalanchoe does not bloom
Becoming the owner of a succulent perennial, novice growers expect lush and prolonged flowering, as described in the literature or was told to them in a flower shop. But in reality it sometimes happens that the Kalanchoe does not bloom and stretches upwards. There are a number of reasons explaining the current situation that are associated with incorrect conditions of detention and errors in care.
For the full development of the succulent, which is evidenced by flowering, it is necessary not to violate the content regulations:
- Lighting. Succulent is not picky about lighting. However, the lack of light leads to the stretching of the shoots and the plant will spend all its strength on this process.
- Temperature. If you do not allow the plant to rest, providing the necessary temperature in the range of 20 - 25 ° C, Kalanchoe may not have enough energy to bloom.
- Humidity. Kalanchoe does not need spraying, but requires periodically wiping the shoots from dust, which makes it easier for the plant to breathe.
Unsuitable cultivation soil
In specialized stores, shipping containers with kalanchoe are filled with a poor substrate, enriched with special hormones, which act not for long, but stimulate budding by keeping perennials in a mode of short daylight for 2 to 3 days. After moving a flower to an apartment, where necessary conditions are created for him, the succulent continues to bloom, expending vital forces, while being in poor soil, which adversely affects the onset of the flowering phase in the next season.
Basic care errors
If the flower is created optimal conditions of maintenance, then the reason for the lack of flowers in Kalanchoe can lie in the wrong care.
- Overflow. The flower grower too often waters the succulent that accumulates moisture in the leaves.
- Nutritional deficiencies or oversupply. Failure to feed with phosphorus and potassium content causes a lack of succulent feed for bud formation. A surplus of nitrogen can lead to an intensive increase in green mass to the detriment of budding and flowering.
- Lack of timely trimming. After the peduncles had dried, they were not removed in time and no summer nipping was done, which did not allow the shoots to stretch out.
- No rest period. After flowering, the plant was not provided with a period of stagnation, which lasted for 2 months.
If you do not know how to force Kalanchoe to bloom again in the summer, then follow these guidelines:
- After the inflorescences and the stagnation phase wither away, it is necessary to feed the succulent twice a month using phosphorus-potassium fertilizers, which stimulate budding and prolonged flowering. It is also recommended to resume normal irrigation mode.
- In the formation of new shoots should be removed, and last year to pinch the length of two buds.
- When new shoots with 3 pairs of true leaves are developed at the nip sites, it is worth re-pinching, which will give you the opportunity to become the owner of a lush bush with a compact crown.
To lay the buds, it is necessary to provide a short light day to Kalanchoe by covering the plant after lunch with a cardboard box. It is also possible to hide a pot with a representative of tropical flora in the closet from sunlight.
Proper flower care
To observe the lush and long-term flowering of the inhabitants of the tropics annually, it is necessary to explore all the nuances of caring for succulent.
- How to care for Kalanchoe after purchase. If a blooming succulent was purchased in the store, after the florist brings him home, you should put the flower in quarantine for 30 days and wait until the end of flowering, after which you need to transplant from a shipping container with poor soil. In quarantine mode, the Kalanchoe should be isolated from other indoor plants and systematically examined for the presence of diseases and pests.
- Watering. Irrigation regime for Kalanchoe provides for the procedure in the spring-summer period within 2 times a week. In winter and autumn, water a flower should be no more than 1 time per week. Too much moisture can lead to the development of gray mold and future death of the flower in the absence of timely treatment.
- Top dressing and fertilizer. Before flowering fertilizing, which include phosphorus and potassium, should be carried out twice a month. During the rest period fertilization is not carried out. As nutrient complexes, you can use liquid agrochemicals for flowering plants, a wide range of which is presented in specialized flower shops.