If a kitten lives in your house, then you should watch it carefully. The fact is that newborn animals are not very different from human children in their behavior. When a kitten is bad, he attracts the attention of the owners by meowing. Therefore, if you love your pet, learn to understand it in order to provide timely assistance.
Very often, newborn kittens are constipated. If you have noticed such a nuisance with your pet, then the most correct option is to take him to the vet. But if this is not possible, then try to solve this problem yourself. And what if the kitten has constipation, read on.
We find out the reasons
Before we begin treatment, let's try to figure out what the causes of the problem may be:
- Most often, problems with defecation occur in pets due to ingestion of some small objects, as well as their own wool. She stumbles into a lump and gets stuck in the intestine, thereby affecting the process of bowel movement,
- This can happen because of the inexperience of the mother cat. She either forgets to feed her cub or cares for him poorly. After all, for example, cats lick the belly of their babies for better bowel work. If the parent does not do this, then the baby may have constipation,
- Dehydration of the pet's body, inappropriate food, for example, when the basis of the diet is dry food,
- In a newborn kitten, problems with the chair may arise from fear or weaning from the mother. If you have a similar situation at home, then follow your favorite. In the absence of defecation within 5 days, it is necessary to “sound the alarm”,
- Lack of stool may indicate a serious illness, for example, a tumor, a hernia, as well as an inflammatory process in the rectal area.
It should be said that older pets are more likely to suffer problems with defecation than kittens.
How to help a kitten with constipation?
If you notice symptoms of constipation in a kitten, for example, the absence of a stool or its dryness, loss of appetite, vomiting (when it often happens in kittens, weight loss occurs), apathy, then you should help your pet. But for this you need to know how to treat constipation in a kitten.
The first thing that is important to do is to facilitate the process of defecating the pet. To do this, the animal must be given a laxative. It is better to buy medicine after consultation with the veterinarian, only the doctor will be able to choose a safe drug and an optimum dosage.
If there is no opportunity to consult with a specialist, then petroleum jelly can help your pet. It is considered the safest and most affordable tool that can be given to a little kitten. The oil must be dripped into the animal's mouth in an amount of 2–3 drops, after a couple of hours your pet should do “its own business”.
Vaseline oil acts very delicately, it envelops the intestinal walls, which helps cleanse the accumulated feces. In this case, such a tool does not harm the body crumbs, but the constipation in a kitten will pass.
It is necessary to warn the owners of animals that it is impossible to replace vaseline oil with sunflower oil for the procedure. Since the vegetable product is processed in the stomach, and the intestine will not reach, which is the main drawback. Therefore, sunflower oil does not allow to treat constipation.
If for some reason the two ways of dealing with the problem proposed above have not approached you, and you still think that giving your kitten from constipation, then we suggest that you prepare a tasty “medicine”. To do this, dilute the condensed milk with raw water to obtain a homogeneous consistency.
Give the resulting mass to your pet in the morning on an empty stomach. "Medicine" will help to normalize the work of the digestive tract and contribute to the softening of the feces. But it should be said that although this method of dealing with a problem is completely natural, it is very often impossible to make such a mixture for an animal. It can adversely affect the condition of the liver. Therefore, it is better to apply liquid paraffin.
Making pet enema
This cardinal method of solving problems with defecation should be resorted to when your pet did not empty the intestines for a week or more. However, if you do not have experience with such a procedure, it is better to contact your veterinarian.
Make an enema alone will not work, you need an assistant. Since one must keep the animal, and the other to carry out the procedure. If you have found an assistant and are sure that you can do an enema yourself, then we will begin.
For this you need a syringe with a volume of 10 ml and cool boiled water. Lubricate the tip of the syringe with oil before introducing your “instrument” into the anus of a small pet. Suitable for both vegetable and vaseline.
If you do not pretreat, you can damage the fabric. First enter 10 ml of fluid into the intestine, gently massage your pet's tummy. Very soon, fecal masses with water will begin to come out. Enema can be put no more than 3 times.
Now you know the symptoms of constipation in small kittens and how to help them with this problem. Take care of your pets, watch out for their health! Good luck!
Psychologist, Family Psychologist Skype. Specialist from the website b17.ru
The vet advised us to give the cat a spoonful of condensed milk or vegetable oil. They are laxative for cats. But you would go to the vet, suddenly there are serious problems.
The cat does not go to the tray for a week already (!), And the author is sounding the alarm just now! Why did not immediately go to the veterinary clinic? And medicines for people are often not suitable for animals. Leave your amateur and run to the vet!
he ate something he couldn't eat
Give the cat a teaspoon of vaseline oil - it is not absorbed by the body and softens the feces, and the taste is not nasty. If after 4 hours does not go to the toilet, give another spoonful of oil. In general, 2-3 times a day. And the above was correctly written, condensed milk can be diluted with water - but I did not try this recipe, in the sense I did not give the cat))) I coped with liquid paraffin. If it does not help, then to the vet - on an enema.
do as in post 4 it is written, you can still give duphalac, you can only give it to the children’s dosage and ask why you haven’t consulted with the vet? you can even call the clinic and ask for advice on dosage
Our cat did not go to the tray for a week. Carried to the vet. He prescribed a dropper. And we still had her for 4 days on droppers 2 times a day.
Then we lost patience and we asked for an enema. After the enema process has begun.
But we have a fluffy cat, and we gave her little malt-paste at that time.
What is with your cat is unknown. If he has an obstruction, then you will kill him with laxatives.
Are you sure that he could not swallow the thread?
I would take it to the vet so that he would feel his tummy. Maybe the ultrasound did to eliminate obstruction. Only then can you give oil.
Kotu is 4 years old, he stopped shitting, the problems with the chair. He walks and yells, and the tray has been empty for a week now. What to do? What to give? Normal laxatives fit (human)?
But if constipation is caused by a foreign body, then by giving him a laxative you can kill him. I advise you to take to the doctor. Everything is necessary from time to time to pass inspection. Why not now.
New for three days
Popular for three days
The user of the site Woman.ru understands and accepts that he is solely responsible for all materials partially or fully published by him using the Woman.ru service.
The user of the site Woman.ru guarantees that the placement of the materials submitted to them does not violate the rights of third parties (including but not limited to copyrights), does not prejudice their honor and dignity.
The user of the site Woman.ru, by sending materials, is thus interested in publishing them on the site and expresses its consent to their further use by the editors of the site Woman.ru.
The use and reprint of printed materials on the site woman.ru is possible only with an active link to the resource.
The use of photographic materials is allowed only with the written consent of the site administration.
Placing intellectual property (photos, videos, literary works, trademarks, etc.)
on the site woman.ru is allowed only to persons who have all the necessary rights for such placement.
Copyright (c) 2016-2018 Hurst Shkulev Publishing LLC
Network edition "WOMAN.RU" (Woman.RU)
The certificate of registration of mass media EL No. FS77-65950, issued by the Federal Service for Supervision in the field of communications,
Information Technology and Mass Communications (Roskomnadzor) June 10, 2016. 16+
Founder: Limited Liability Company “Hurst Shkulev Publishing”
What is considered constipation in a dog?
Constipation in dogs is called incomplete, irregular, severe, or completely absent bowel movement:
- According to general calculations, a chair with a frequency of twice in 3 days or pain in the process of defecation at a normal frequency can already be considered constipation.
- When constipation in the intestine accumulates fecal masses, which can dry out, condense and cause not only discomfort in the pet, but also cause injury to the intestinal wall.
- In dogs, constipation is quite common, especially in older animals, in animals leading sedentary life, as well as in all ages after bones.
- Dietary disorders:
- eating dog waste.
- low amount of fiber in food
- feeding with dry food with restriction of fluid intake,
- feeding food on steep broths or a monotonous meal,
- total overfeeding
- feeding bones (constipation from bones prevails),
- Obesity and a sedentary lifestyle.
- Rare walks and running (walking).
- Incorrectly calculated dosage of certain drugs (for example, iron-containing drugs) or constipation after diarrhea (a side effect after prolonged use of astringents).
Associated with physiological pathologies
- Diseases of the internal organs (kidney, liver, gastrointestinal tract),
- Fractures of the pelvic bones.
- Inflammation, swelling, abscesses of the prostate and paraanal glands.
- Intestinal blockage with foreign objects (bones, toys).
- Intestinal atony.
- Colon dysbacteriosis.
- Tumors in the intestine or perineum.
- Diseases of the nervous system, accompanied by paralysis and paresis.
- Injuries and pain in the spine.
What is the danger of constipation
The consequences of prolonged constipation are quite serious. The main risks are:
- general intoxication of the body,
- critical internal intestinal injuries, up to the rupture of the intestinal walls,
- violations in the functions of internal organs and systems
- excessive stress on the heart
- violation of the trophism of the skin with the subsequent appearance of itching, scratching, baldness,
- death of the animal, if the intestine is not emptied within 4-7 days.
How to determine that a dog has constipation and its main symptoms?
Dog constipation (symptoms) is manifested by the following main symptoms:
- difficult bowel movements or frequent urging without bowel movement,
- the output of dry, hard stool, sometimes in small quantities,
- pain, discomfort, accompanied by whining or anxiety of the dog at the time of attempting to empty,
- bloating due to gas accumulations in the intestines,
- lack of emptying due to the lack of feces,
- lack of appetite,
- general state of oppression.
If the dog has constipation vomitThis is one of the important signs of complete obstruction and intestinal obstruction. The animal should be delivered as soon as possible to the veterinarian for first aid and an accurate diagnosis. Constipation with vomiting in a dog - the risk of death of the animal without expert help!
Also, at home, the host can gently insert a finger wearing a rubber glove and greased with vegetable oil into the dog's anus to check for the presence of fecal masses in the rectum. Thus, it is possible to distinguish banal coprostasis from complete intestinal obstruction, in which the feces in the rectum may not be at all.
What you need to tell the doctor
When referring to a veterinarian, it is important to provide the following information in more detailed form:
- animal age and lifestyle,
- how long has constipation been recorded and in what manifestations
- the presence of vomiting, its frequency and frequency, type of vomit.
- conventional methods and daily feeding frequency,
- list of fed food for the last day,
- changes in behavior, urination, defecation, appetite, thirst.
When examining an animal, a veterinarian can determine the presence of foreign objects in the intestines, the presence of inflammation of the perineum and anus, problems with the para-anal glands, neurological problems, bone injuries.
To more accurately determine why a dog has constipation, additionally can be assigned:
- general blood analysis,
- X-ray of the abdominal cavity
- intestinal X-ray with contrast to assess its patency,
- Ultrasound examination of the abdominal cavity.
How to help a dog with constipation
One form of constipation is coprostasis or stagnation of feces in the lower intestinal tract. When there is a lack of fluid in the body, the necessary fluid begins to be absorbed by the intestinal walls from the stool, due to which they become dry and hard. It is with this constipation that the owner can effectively and relatively safely provide the necessary assistance to his dog. If such constipation does not cause the dog excessive discomfort, help will be as follows:
- change the diet and drink plenty of animal
- increase physical activity of the dog,
- enema or folk laxatives,
- drugs for digestion and improve intestinal motility, as well as laxatives.
If, during coprostasis, the dog experiences obvious discomfort, then first aid for constipation should be provided to the dog immediately in order to relieve its condition as quickly as possible. In this case, the algorithm of first aid is as follows:
- antispasmodic (if necessary),
- give a dog a laxative as a treatment
- normalization of nutrition
- laxatives to establish self-normal digestion,
- means for healing microtraumas and possible rectal cracks.
It is necessary to begin with an enema, because Most laxative drugs stimulate intestinal peristalsis. If you force the intestines to work hard, in which stagnation of dry and dense feces, pain and injuries cannot be avoided!
This algorithm applies only to constipation, not associated with any disease. If constipation is caused by internal diseases, then any assistance should be provided by a veterinarian after an accurate diagnosis!
That is, in fact, at home, the owner of the dog will be able to help his pet with those forms of constipation that are no longer accompanied by any symptoms other than problems in the act of defecation. If the dog does not empty the intestines due to the fact that there is simply no fecal mass, then the problem of constipation lies much deeper than the banal coprostasis.
With a complete blockage of the intestine, it is possible that surgical assistance will be needed to remove the cause that provoked it:
- worm lumps,
- foreign objects
- elimination of volvulus, etc.
All about dog enema
This is one of the methods of first aid to a dog for constipation. Before the dog is given an enema, you need to know for sure that this procedure will not damage it even more. Before you undertake an enema to a dog, you must first consult with a specialist about the solutions injected into the intestines, their volumes, as well as the nuances of the procedure itself.
Also, according to the symptoms described by the host, the doctor will be able to say approximately whether it can be done at all. Enemas are deep and shallow. Shallow cleansing enemas for constipation can be easily made at home by the pet owner themselves. If the constipation lasts a long time, then only a deep enema, which is carried out only by a veterinarian, can help!
How much liquid is needed and how to prepare
To flush the intestines you need to adhere to the following volumes of fluid, depending on the size of the dog:
- weight about 50 kg - within 1 l,
- weight about 20-40 kg - within 500 ml,
- weight up to 20 kg - within 200 ml.
Enema is made using Esmarch's mugs (for large dogs), suspended from a height of not more than 1 m, as well as various sized douche bags and rubber pears. In dogs of small breeds (dwarfs) it is allowed to use a syringe for 10 cubes. It is safest to use tools with rubber tips to avoid injury during the procedure. Before the enema, the dog can enter No-Shpu or Baralgin (intramuscularly, at the rate of 0.1 ml / 1 kg of weight) to relax the intestines, anesthetize and prevent spasms at the time of the procedure.
- Measure the temperature of the potential solution. For spastic constipation, the solutions should be warm (37-39 ° C). If a dog has constipation for several days, then a warm liquid can not be injected, because swollen feces can finally clog the intestines. If the cause of the constipation is not exactly known, then the temperature is brought to an average of 27ºС.
- The dog must be laid on its side. You can flush the intestines and standing, but only in extreme cases. Ideally, only on the side!
- It is obligatory to put a muzzle on the dog. It is better to carry out procedure together.The owner must be in the field of view of the pet, iron and soothe him, so that the animal can relax. The second person must conduct the procedure.
- The anus of the animal and the tip of the syringe should be lubricated with vaseline or vegetable oil.
- The tip of the syringe is inserted into the rectum no more than 3 cm deep (in large dogs up to 5 cm). It is necessary to ensure that the animal does not severely wriggle and does not injure itself.
- Begin to inject fluid from the pear (syringe), gently pressing on its walls. The fluid must flow without any obstruction. If the fluid does not flow, you need to check if the tip is not clogged with the stool during the injection. If the patency of the tip is not broken, and the fluid is not infused, you must immediately (!) Stop the infusion and seek help from a veterinarian.
If during an enema the fluid does not flow into the intestinal cavity, it is necessary to exclude intestinal obstruction (the first sign) - strongly dry fecal masses, helminths, dense bones, etc. Only a specialist can do this, so the dog should be shown to the veterinarian as soon as possible.
- If the solution is poured normally, then after the end of the infusion, the tip is gently removed, and the dog's tail is pressed tightly against the pope. After 5-7 minutes, the animal can get up. With a quick effect, the dog will be emptied immediately as soon as it rises. Sometimes you will need to take a walk to further stimulate the bowels.
If an enema is required for a small puppy, then the procedure is similar, with the difference that the volume of liquid should not exceed 1 tbsp. spoons, instead of a pear, a syringe without a needle is used, and only boiled water with a temperature of 27-30 ° C is used as an infusion solution.
General prevention of constipation
In the absence of internal diseases, constipation can be successfully prevented. To constipation did not cause inconvenience to your pet, you must:
- exclude small and soft bones from the diet, fragments of which can serve as a direct cause of constipation and injuries of the intestine with sharp edges,
- give large bones (for example, beef mosly) only raw,
- to diversify the entire diet, excluding feeding monotonous food,
- when using dry feed, provide free access to water and in sufficient quantity,
- Be sure to add to the diet vegetables, bran and cereal, rich in fiber,
- periodically add to food beef scar (raw, frozen), which contains enzymes and microflora, allowing more fully digest food,
- timely de-worming the animal to eliminate intestinal blockage with “helminth tangles”,
- daily active walks twice a day for at least one hour,
- make sure that the dog is missing in the mouth (pebbles, small toys can cause intestinal blockage).
All these measures imply their use in a healthy animal. If constipation has already been detected in a dog, then abundant feeding and increased activity are contraindicated to the animal!
"Home" laxatives for constipation
The owner of the dog is primarily concerned with two main questions: how can the owner help at home and how to treat constipation in a dog at home? A pronounced laxative effect of household improvised have:
- Kefir. It is given for the night and as much as the dog itself will drink. If you do not want to drink kefir on your own, pour a syringe or a rubber bulb through a toothless edge: small dogs - a few teaspoons, medium - a few tablespoons, large - up to 200 ml.
- Lean, flaxseed or castor oil dogs are given very often. At night, add 2-7 tablespoons of the weight of the pet to the meal until a stable effect of normal bowel movement is achieved. Add well in boiled vegetables, especially in carrots. There are no contraindications. Overdose is not marked. Weak starts after 5-8 h.
- Vaseline oil. From 5 to 80 ml orally through the mouth (also through the toothless edge with a syringe or syringe without a needle), depending on the size of the dog twice or three times a day. Frequency: every 12 hours until a persistent normal bowel movement is achieved. In the body is not absorbed, invariably in the form enters the intestine, lubricating its walls and softening the feces. You can enter rectally with a syringe in the form of an enema slightly warmed.
Causes of violation of the stool in a small kitten
Quite often, the owners of the seals are faced with frequent constipation and poor work of the stomach. The main cause of constipation in an animal is the lack of formation of the gastrointestinal tract. For this reason, there are problems with digestion, and as a result we encounter constipation. In order to avoid the problem, it is imperative to monitor how often the pet goes to the toilet. Qualified specialists have found common causes of constipation in a kitten.
· Poor and improper nutrition.
· Disruption of the stomach.
· Problems with the gastrointestinal tract.
Stressful situations in a small animal can appear when the owner brings him home. As a result, the kitten begins to stress from the new environment. A rather important point is that the owner provides the pet with the most comfortable conditions for its life. Also stressful situations may arise due to improper handling of the kitten.
The most common cause of constipation in a kitten is improper unbalanced nutrition. An animal of this age should receive a sufficient amount of food, vitamins and minerals that will help form a strong immune system. If you are experiencing problems with constipation in an animal, it is imperative to review its diet. Categorically you can not overfeed or underfeed your pet. The kitten’s diet itself should consist of foods that are easily absorbed by the body, as well as dry foods.
Such factors can also provoke constipation in a pet:
· Lumps of hair that may be in the stomach after licking wool.
· Foreign objects in the stomach.
Constipation can be a fatal disease of your pet. Therefore, if you do not conduct an effective treatment, and also do not find the cause in the initial stages, your animal may die. It is imperative to follow how often your kitten walks to defecate. If the animal does not perform the process of defecation within three days, you should immediately contact a qualified specialist for help.
Why can diarrhea start?
Possible causes of diarrhea:
- Dietary disturbance. Such a reason is considered the most common. In this case, diarrhea can begin, for example, after changing the feed, after introducing new foods into the diet, or eating stale or raw foods.
- Diarrhea can be a manifestation of an allergic reaction. Allergies are especially common in pedigree and small dogs.
- Parasitic invasions. Parasites can settle in the body of a cat or dog that regularly goes outside or communicates with other animals.
- Intestinal invagination is a condition in which one part of the intestine is inserted into another. In this case, feces may look like mucus with streaks of blood.
- Pancreatitis - inflammation of the pancreas. Since this organ is involved in digestion, a violation of its functioning can also cause diarrhea.
- Stress can also cause diarrhea.
- Acceptance of any drugs, including vitamin supplements.
- Eating toxic substances or formulations that are not intended for nutrition: shower gel, shampoo, nail polish removers, building materials, and so on.
- Viral infections: rotavirosis, coronavirosis, parvoviroz, adenoviroz and so on.
- Parasitic diseases: giardiasis, helminthiasis.
- Bacterial infections, such as salmonellosis.
- The presence in the intestine of a foreign body. In this case, the body will try in every way to get rid of it, which will lead to increased peristalsis of the intestinal walls.
- Diseases accompanied by metabolic disorders.
What is dangerous?
Do not consider diarrhea to be a harmless symptom, in fact it is very dangerous. The fact is that along with partially processed food with diarrhea, liquid also comes out of the body, and this can lead to dehydration. Such a state is extremely dangerous and threatens the most serious consequences, including death.
In which cases should immediately consult a doctor?
The following symptoms should alert:
- Increased body temperature. You can determine it by the hot and excessively dry nose of the pet.
- Drowsiness, weakness, loss of appetite.
- Significant weight loss, especially sudden and severe.
- An increase in the abdominal cavity.
- Vomiting, especially multiple.
- Changes in the color of feces, for example, darkening. Also should alert the remnants of undigested food in the feces or blood streaks.
- Increasing the frequency of bowel movements, that is, repeated diarrhea (more than 3-5 times a day).
- Diarrhea lasts a long time. Such a sign should alert even if it is not accompanied by other symptoms.
Having found at least one of the above signs, immediately take the pet to the veterinary clinic. Do not wait for tomorrow, if the condition worsened in the evening or at night, sometimes the bill goes on for hours or even minutes. Contact the 24 hour facility.
To make an accurate diagnosis, a veterinarian should prescribe a stool test, an ultrasound of the abdominal organs of an animal and an X-ray of this part of the body, biochemical and general blood tests, urinalysis, and a thorough full examination. Intestinal endoscopy may be required to evaluate the structure and condition of its lower divisions.
Solution to the problem
What if a dog or cat has diarrhea? First of all, remember what you fed your pet, as well as inspect the house to find out if your pet has consumed food, such as shower gel or some other non-nutritional compound.
Treatment of diarrhea will depend on its specific causes, so that the doctor must prescribe it and after thorough examination and accurate diagnosis. Thus, antibiotics, antiparasitic, antiviral or antifungal drugs may be prescribed for infections, depending on the specific causative agent of the disease.
The following measures can be taken independently:
- The most important component of therapy is diet. Probably, on the first day you will have to give your pet absolutely nothing to take the load off the intestines and ensure the restoration of damaged and severely irritated mucous membranes. Then you can gradually enter into the diet boiled rice, boiled beef or chicken, special easily digestible food. Vegetables, fruits, soups and dairy products are desirable to exclude until complete recovery.
- It is extremely important to increase the amount of fluid consumed, it will avoid dehydration. Keep the water clean and fresh.
- To protect the intestinal mucous membranes from damage and excessive irritation, you can give your pet "Smektu".
- To speed up the process of excretion of toxins and waste products of pathogenic microorganisms, try to offer the animal a sorbent drug, for example, Enterosgel or activated charcoal.
The following preventive measures will prevent the occurrence of diarrhea in your pet:
- If you plan to introduce a new product into the diet, then do it gradually and with extreme caution, starting with the minimum volumes.
- All means and solutions that are not intended for human consumption, remove as far as possible into places that the pet cannot reach.
- Periodically give your dog or cat antiparasitic drugs for prevention.
- Watch the health of your four-time friend and regularly (once every six months or at least a year) show him to the vet.
- Follow all the recommendations given by a specialist with regards to the pet's diet and care.
- Be attentive to the choice of food, watch out for their freshness and quality.
Now you can help your pet if he has diarrhea.
Symptoms of constipation in a kitten
Symptoms of constipation in a kitten can be found even in the initial stages. The main symptoms of constipation in a kitten are:
· Screaming sounds while trying to go to the toilet.
· Dry feces that may be covered with mucus or bleeding.
· The frequent need to go to the toilet, with a small amount.
Directly the owner should notice a change in the behavior of the animal. It becomes more languid and less active. If you find such symptoms in your pet, you should definitely contact qualified specialists to eliminate this problem and save the life and health of the kitten.
How to get rid of constipation in a kitten?
In order to cure a kitten from such a terrible disease, you need to contact a qualified specialist for help. The doctor may recommend procedures such as:
· Stool softeners.
· Enema. Need to know that kittens do not like the procedure of this nature. Enemas, which contain certain substances, can cause a toxic reaction in a pet. Therefore, in order to make an enema, you must contact a qualified specialist.
· Cleaning the intestines independently.
· Purpose of a diet with high content of fiber.
· Increase water intake.
· Make more intense exercise and increase the amount of exercise.
There are also various folk remedies. It is necessary to let the petroleum jelly eat the kitten, or the usual condensed milk. Kittens love her very much and can cause a laxative effect.
If you took a home kitten recently, and he does not go to the big toilet, no need to worry. He may have stress from a new place of residence.
Many people are interested in the question of what to do if a kitten has constipation. First of all, it is necessary to establish the cause of the problem, then observe the state of the pet and its activity. Frequent constipation can indicate serious pet health problems. Directly problems with defecation may indicate the presence of diseases such as
Answering the question what to do if the kitten has constipation, we can say that it is necessary to follow these instructions:
· In the kitten's diet should be healthy and healthy food, which has a large amount of protein and fiber. Additives in feed almost should not be.
· It is imperative to provide clean water and fresh air.
· It is imperative to brush the kitten so that he does not swallow his fur during licking. The presence of hairballs in the kitten's stomach can cause frequent constipation and even death of a pet.
If you do not begin active treatment of constipation, then the kitten will not be able to empty the colon itself. This process provoke the appearance of tumors.
It is recommended to monitor the health of the kitten and be sure to consult a specialist.
When is the dog's stool normal?
Ideally, dog feces should look like a sausage or flagellum with a smooth and shiny surface. The color of faeces in the norm can vary from light to dark shades of brown. The frequency of the stool varies depending on the age of the animals: puppies poop 3 to 5 times a day, adult dogs once a day or two, and little doggie go to the toilet once every 2-3 days. At the same time, a slight deviation from the indicated data can be considered as pathology (for example, if the puppy meets the need 2 times a day). However, if there is no stool for more than 3-4 days, then there is a constipation.
Signs of constipation in dogs
To determine if a pet needs help, it is important to know the symptoms of constipation. As a rule, they are as follows:
- The dog makes heaps, but the amount of feces is unusually small,
The feces instead of the sausages mentioned look like round dry balls,
The animal has not only severe constipation, but other disturbing symptoms (high fever, vomiting, refusal to eat, weakness, bleeding, etc.),
Causes of constipation in dogs
Actually, there is plenty of constipation. In the best cases, the inability to relieve the need develops due to improper diet, in the worst - due to illness. So, the dog may have problems with defecation in the following situations:
- An unsuitable diet (constipation in a dog after bones or feeding with meat alone, due to low water consumption, frequent pet treats with rice or corn),
Acute or chronic diseases of internal organs (GIT, liver, kidneys, etc.),
Foreign objects in the dog's gastrointestinal tract (stones, cellophane, foam plastic, details of toys, etc.),
Depletion or same obesity
Condition after surgery (anesthesia often causes constipation)
Diseases of the nervous system (paralysis, paresis, etc.),
Oncology of the gastrointestinal tract,
Stress (against the background of changing feed, moving to another apartment, aggressive attitude from people, etc.),
Старческий возраст у собаки (у питомцев взрослее 7-8 лет),
Период собачьей беременности,
Учитывая, что причин почему собака не ходит в туалет по большому множество, правильное лечение сможет назначить специалист-ветеринар, осмотрев животное и проведя все необходимые анализы.
Как ликвидировать запор у собаки самостоятельно?
If the dog has constipated for the first time, no more dangerous symptoms are noted, you can try to help your pet on your own, without consulting a specialist (but only if the animal feels good, and the stool was no more than 3-4 days old!). So, the first to help with constipation will consist of such actions:
- First you need to try to feed the animal food that promotes the establishment of the chair (pumpkin puree, beets, cabbage, zucchini, the freshest sour-milk products like yogurt or kefir, bran). You can add vegetable, flaxseed or olive oil in small amounts in dogs
If the pet is accustomed to dry ready-made food, the pellets can be soaked in water before feeding the dog,
With a dog with constipation, it is more often, longer and more active to walk. Movement contributes to intestinal motility,
To provoke a stool can help massage the dog's abdomen. But it is better to refuse such actions if the tum is hard, and during touches the animal feels pain,
In the bowl of the animal you need as often as possible to add fresh water,
The use of petroleum jelly for constipation in dogs is an effective and safe solution to the problem. Large individuals using a syringe (without needles) enter 2 tbsp. spoons of vaseline, small - 0.5 tbsp. spoon twice a day,
Coping with constipation will allow decoctions of oats and flax. Pips or seed in the amount of 1 tbsp. spoons pour 0.5 cups of boiling water and insist half an hour. A decoction is given to the dog before meals twice a day,
Often helps to eliminate constipation enema dog. An ordinary enema-pear is suitable for a miniature animal, for ordinary dogs the usual “human” enema (Esmarch circle). Before the procedure, you need to dial a little warm water into the enema, lubricate the tip of the product with petroleum jelly (cream). Put the dog on its side in the bath so that it can wash off the excreted feces. After the introduction of water into the intestine, you should press the dog's tail closer to the anus, and after 2-3 minutes let it go,
Instead of the usual enema, you can buy "human" remedy for constipation - "Mikrolaks",
It is possible to cope with constipation with the help of the veterinary preparation “Bimin” - an oily liquid on the basis of vaseline oil. Means is administered to dogs inside at the rate of 1 ml per 1 kg of weight (in a bottle of 30 ml) once a day. The drug has no side effects, but is contraindicated in intestinal obstruction,
When should I see a doctor?
It is worth noting that it is possible to do at home attempts to eliminate constipation only when the animal feels normal, and the chair was no more than 3 (maximum 4) days. In some cases (for example, in case of intestinal obstruction), defecation can be adjusted only by surgery or with special preparations that only a specialist can prescribe.
In addition, constipation is only a symptom of some disease, therefore, in order to save the animal from problems with the stool in the future, it will be necessary to find out the cause of problems with defecation. With worms, for example, you will need to introduce dewormers, with stress - sedative sedatives, with bacterial ailments - antibiotics, and so on. As soon as possible it is necessary to dial the doctor’s number if:
- The dog is sick, there are a number of dangerous symptoms (refusal to eat, breathing problems, bad breath, etc.),
The animal refuses food,
When trying to feel the belly, the dog runs off or starts to “cry”,
If the animal has not caked for more than 4 days
Causes of constipation in cats
Constipation in a kitten.
Of the most common causes of difficulty defecation emit:
- Wrong food . If the food of the animal is monotonous or consists only of dry food, then this leads to digestive disorders. Another such problem may arise as a result of feeding the animal human food, such as rice or pasta.
- Wool licking . Most often, constipation occurs in very fluffy cats. Wool, which lick pets, settles in the stomach. There it forms lumps that prevent the passage of feces.
If a cat has a lot of wool and she constantly licks, then it can be a cause of constipation.
The cat is languid and sleeps.
If the chair does not normalize on its own within a few days, then measures should be taken to avoid serious consequences.
Symptoms of constipation
The cat must empty the intestines at least once every two days.
For adult cats, walking is great. once in 1-2 days . If it happens less often in an animal, then it is worth looking more closely at the pet's behavior and well-being.
Among the symptoms of constipation, the most frequent will be:
- Lack of feces over 2 days . It may not be at all, or it may be rare and very hard.
- Pet sits on the tray for a long time and to no avail.
- A cat tends to take a long time, sometimes it even meows strongly.
- The animal constantly crouches in the corners, straining and raising its tail, but nothing happens.
In addition to these symptoms, there may be such as:
- Increased pet's body temperature.
- The cat's abdomen is swollen and causes pain when pressed.
If constipation is accompanied by the above symptoms, you should begin to act as soon as possible.
If a cat is put in place by constipation, it can lead to serious intestinal obstruction or even death of the animal.
Treatment of constipation in cats at home
Crush beets and carrots and add to cat food.
In the initial stages of this problem, the cat can be helped independently. What to stop constipation is necessary to resort to the following measures:
- You should start feeding your pet liquid food in small portions. . You can add to the feed a little vegetable oil, but the main thing is not to overdo it. Too much food can damage the liver of the animal.
- One of the popular methods of treating constipation is raw beets and carrots. . These vegetables can be added to cat food. If the pet refuses such food, then it should be, squeeze the juice from fresh beets or carrots, and pour a little into the mouth of the animal with a syringe.
- In addition to beets and carrots, a cat can help. sea fish, kefir, cauliflower or raw beef liver . These foods will help normalize animal stools.
- Another way to mix condensed milk with tap water is to feed the animal. But this method should not be resorted to very often, so as not to cause diarrhea.
- In addition to all of the above, a simple massage of the cat's tummy can help. Stroke the tummy with a little pressure clockwise. You can do this several times a day.
How to give vaseline oil to a cat with constipation
Some cats adore petroleum jelly and can eat it right from their hands.
Another good remedy is Vaseline oil . It envelops the intestines harmlessly and softens the feces, contributing to its speedy release. This oil is not absorbed by the cat's body and is completely excreted from the body during 6-12 hours .
The norm of vaseline oil for an adult animal is 1.5 ml per 1 kg of pet's weight. Give it to your pet 2 times a day. Do not give feline castor oil. It causes severe pain in the stomach of your pet.
How to give a cat duphalac
Not rarely in such cases, the veterinarian doctor prescribes Dufalak.
To help your pet, you can give him a laxative. Duphalac.
It contributes to the normalization of work in the intestines and helps to remove fecal masses.
Give it at the rate of 1 ml per 1 kg of cat weight. Duphalac is added to food or watered with water and offered to a pet. They feed the animal once every 8 hours, until feces come out. If the animal has regular difficulties with defecation, then a whole course of treatment with Duphalac is necessary.
Do not choose the dosage Duphalac yourself! If you overdo it with this medicine, be prepared for diarrhea in an animal. If this does happen, then Smecta will help normalize the chair.
Do not self-prescribe cat other laxatives that are intended for humans.
Other drugs can be prescribed only by the veterinarian himself. Depending on the case, he will prescribe this or that dosage based on the weight of your pet.
Various human laxatives can cause allergies. or stomach upset at the cat . And if you do not know the dose for the animal, then an overdose may occur.
If you comply with all preventive measures, then help your pet avoid constipation. Carefully monitor the behavior of the cat, its nutrition and condition. When the slightest symptoms of constipation appear, immediately act. Be attentive and caring to your pet, and he will thank you more than once with his affection and pleasant purring songs.