Freezing cauliflower at home is a simple matter, the main thing is to know what points to pay attention to when preparing the vegetable for the procedure and defrosting it.
Proper cauliflower freezing
Choice of heads for freezing
Before freezing the cauliflowers for the winter, carefully select the heads. Take cabbages with medium sized inflorescences. It is advisable to freeze the young cauliflower, whose taste is more delicate. Pay attention to the appearance of the vegetable. It must not be damaged by pests or diseases. If dark spots are present on the inflorescences, during cultivation the culture was exposed to direct sunlight. It is advisable to choose instances without burns.
You should not freeze loose heads or use inflorescences that have already begun to wilt. Freeze better cauliflower, which has small and medium sizes.
There are hybrids designed to freeze for the winter. That they should be used for winter harvesting.
Selected heads are washed under running water. This procedure is carried out carefully so as not to inflict mechanical damage on the inflorescences. For better cleansing of the inflorescences, warm water is collected in a deep bowl and the vegetable is immersed in it for a while. After 2-10 minutes, remove the head and leave it to dry.
Next, remove the leaf plates and divide the head into inflorescences. It is best to cut the vegetable into inflorescences that will have identical sizes. All damaged and brown colored parts of the vegetable culture, if any, are preliminarily removed. Before freezing the cauliflower for winter at home, are determined with the size of the inflorescences.
Heading should be divided into inflorescences of the desired size.
After this, the inflorescences are soaked in brine. To prepare 1 liter of brine, take 4 tsp. salt. Soaking in brine is necessary that all insects who love to hide in dense inflorescences, climbed out. The prepared vegetable is soaked for 30 minutes. After this time, the vegetable is washed in warm water.
It is possible to freeze cauliflower blossoms at this stage, but experts have previously recommended to make heat treatment.
Before freezing the cauliflower in the freezer, blanching is performed. In any large pot or metal bowl, take water and set it on fire. As soon as the water boils, inflorescences prepared for freezing are dipped into it. Blanch fresh vegetables need 3 minutes. During this time, prepare a large container with ice, where a small amount of water is poured. After 3 min. the inflorescences are taken out of the boiling water and put them in a bath with ice to cool. After 3-4 minutes water is drained and ice is removed. Once the inflorescences are dry, you can freeze the cauliflower.
You can freeze the cauliflower for the winter in packages designed for freezing, or plastic containers. If the cauliflower is frozen for the winter in bags, make sure that they have a minimum amount of air. The more air is in the tank, the less the shelf life of the vegetable in the freezer. It is best to get rid of excess air with a straw for cocktails. If you need to freeze a lot of cabbage for the winter, it is better to use special vacuum packers.
How to freeze cauliflower for winter at home? In order for a popular vegetable to delight you throughout the whole winter, you need to follow a few simple recommendations.
To freeze the cabbage should be carefully prepared:
- choose among fresh vegetables young, intact heads of cabbages
- remove spoiled elements that
- divided into inflorescences, if you don't want to freeze entirely,
- soak in salt water to remove insects
- put on a simple or paper towel to remove excess liquid.
About how and in what time it is necessary to remove the cauliflower from the garden, you can find out on our website.
Is it possible to freeze cauliflower without boiling? If you want to keep a maximum of vitamins in vegetables, you can freeze cabbage without heat treatment. Washed and thoroughly dried cabbage should be spread out on a clean baking tray for pre-freezing. A few hours later cabbage can be packaged in bags - in this way you will avoid clumping of inflorescences and loss of integrity.
Many prefer to freeze not fresh, but blanched cabbage. To do this:
- Lower prepared cabbage in boiling water with the addition of a small amount of salt and citric acid.
- Boil vegetables around three minutes.
- Take out the cabbage and pour ice water.
- To dry on a paper towel.
- Freeze in the unfolded form, then folded into the container.
This method helps the cauliflower to keep better. color and flavoras well as the integrity of the inflorescences. In addition, storing blanched cabbage requires less space in the refrigerator.
On how to freeze the cauliflower for the winter, you can learn from the video:
How to freeze cauliflower correctly? In what? Before the process of freezing cauliflower for the winter you should decide on the choice of container. The most compact way is to spread the vegetables into dense plastic bags.
They come with fasteners and without, as well as different sizes, which is very convenient for further defrost portions. Can be purchased plastic containers - They are also great for this purpose.
Frozen Cauliflower - Photo:
Learn from our articles also about how to freeze white cabbage, as well as Brussels sprouts and broccoli at home.
Where and at what temperature to store?
Make sure that there is no temperature difference, in which the bags condensate will accumulate, and the product itself will lose moisture. The lower the temperature provided, the more vitamins can save vegetables.
Storage times for frozen cabbage? You can store cabbage about 9 monthsThat is, if all the freezing conditions are observed, vegetables can be eaten just before the next harvest.
Longer shelf life is not recommended, as the quality of the product will deteriorate significantly, and it will become unfit for human consumption.
For baby food
Is it possible to freeze cauliflower for baby puree? Cauliflower is perfect for feeding babies.
In winter, you can safely use frozen cabbage. How to freeze cauliflower for the winter for a child? In order for the vegetable to be well preserved, blanching time should be increased three times.
In addition, all containers and pallets involved in the process should be carefully treated with boiling water or steam.
Subject to all requirements, cabbage can be used without fear for cooking mashed potatoes.
Cauliflower is a vegetable-rich vegetable.
It does not require much effort to freeze and retains all its useful properties.
Therefore, do not deny yourself the use of cabbage in the winter.
How to freeze cauliflower for a child for the winter
Cauliflower has a high content of various vitamins and minerals. It is well suited for feeding babies from 6 months, but not for a newborn. In the summer and autumn there are no problems with the acquisition of this vegetable. Someone grows it in his garden or cottage, someone buys on the market or in the store.
But for the winter cauliflower is better to freeze. With this method, the useful properties of the product are preserved. Also, the vegetable does not lose its taste.
Since in winter this product is very useful for babies, it is necessary to know how to freeze the cauliflower for the first feeding.
- Containers or packages.
For freezing ideal vegetables grown personally. Or acquired from good friends. The main thing is that you are sure that vegetables are grown without chemicals.
- Now we will determine what we will freeze cabbage inflorescences. If these are containers, they should be sanitized by boiling.
- For freezing select the upper part of the inflorescences with a delicate structure. Now they need to be processed. To do this, place the product in a container with warm salt water for 30 minutes. This procedure will help rid the inflorescences of insects and their larvae.
- Then rinse the vegetable and boil it in boiling water. After 10 minutes of the inflorescence pour over ice water, drain and let dry.
- The finished product is packed in plastic containers, sachets or vacuum bags and sent to the freezer to freeze.
How best to freeze: raw or boiled
It is possible to freeze this vegetable in raw or boiled, and preferably blanched. Most often they are frozen by separate inflorescences, but sometimes with whole heads. Both methods have some advantages and disadvantages. Therefore, you decide how best.
- Blanched or boiled cauliflower after freezing somewhat loses nutrients, but better preserves the taste, color, flavor and texture.
- There are several secrets of such a freeze. So that the inflorescences do not darken, when cooking, add citric acid in the amount of one-third of a teaspoon per liter of water to the water.
- After cooking, the cabbage is immediately placed in ice water, so that after thawing the inflorescences will not lose their shape and rich taste, almost like a fresh product.
- By freezing raw cauliflower, you can save more wholesome nutrients. This is certainly a plus, but the minus is that it gets darker, losing its natural color, becomes more watery, and to some extent loses its taste qualities.
- Crude freezing process takes less time. Vegetable should only free from insects and larvae, wash, dry and freeze.
- When freezing the container must be tightly closed so that there is no access of air.
For cooking it is better to use the product without defrosting it. If it is necessary to defrost, it is enough not to boil down, lower the inflorescences for a minute in boiling water and dry.
The shelf life of frozen cauliflower depends on the temperature in the freezer:
- From 18 to 20 degrees the product can be stored for up to a year.
- From 12 to 17 - up to six months,
- If the refrigerator is at least six degrees, then storage is limited to two, at best, three weeks.
Freeze cauliflower and broccoli
Now I will tell you how to properly freeze the cauliflower at home for the winter, such preparation does not take much time.
To freeze you need to choose a heading without dark spots and damage. Also pay attention to the leaves, they should not be sluggish and yellowed.
Proceed to freezing broccoli and cauliflower:
- The first step is to wash the cabbage well.
- Then, in one liter of water, dissolve 60 grams of salt. Immerse the cabbage in a salty liquid for twenty minutes. If there are bugs in the inflorescences, they will certainly float to the surface.
- After heading, rinse under running water and disassemble into inflorescences.
- Pour water into the bulk container, add a little lemon juice, let it boil.
- We drop inflorescences into boiling water, boil for three minutes. Then we put boiled cabbage in a bowl with cold water. Two minutes later we spread the inflorescences on a napkin.
- As soon as they dry out, put them in a bag or container. Put in the freezer.
For baby: cauliflower soup
This is a very useful and nutritious dish for a child. This soup can be cooked not only in meat, but also in vegetable broth.
We will need the following products:
- 50 grams of beef pulp,
- 30 grams of carrots,
- 5 grams of onions,
- 60 grams of cauliflower
- Teaspoon olive oil,
- 200 milliliters of water.
Put the meat in a saucepan with cold water, set it on the fire.
- After boiling, pour out the liquid, and wash the meat with boiled water. The second time, pour the pulp with clean water, boil with a slow boil. In the process of cooking it is necessary to remove scale.
- An hour later, we take out the meat, and put onion and carrot, cut into cubes, into the ready broth. Cook vegetables for ten minutes.
- Then add the cauliflower. Cook the soup for another five minutes.
- Remove the cooked vegetables from the soup and beat together with the meat in a blender.
- In the resulting puree add the required amount of broth, pour a teaspoon of oil. The soup is ready.
For adults: cauliflower casserole
I want to share a recipe for a very tasty and filling casserole.
- 350 grams of cauliflower or broccoli,
- 150 grams of minced meat
- 50 grams of cheese
- One egg,
- 3 tablespoons sour cream,
- One small sweet pepper,
- Half a small onion.
Frozen inflorescences boil in salt water for three minutes.
- We transfer the cooked vegetables to a colander, let cool.
- In the stuffing put finely chopped onion, Bulgarian pepper, chilled cabbage. Salt, pepper to taste.
- In a beaten egg add finely grated cheese, sour cream. Pour the mixture into the stuffing. Mix well.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees. Lubricate the form, evenly distribute the stuffing. Cover the form with foil. Bake for half an hour. After removing the foil and continue to cook for another fifteen minutes.
- The finished dish can be sprinkled with herbs.
I advise you to watch the video, how to freeze the cauliflower.
Now you know how to freeze cauliflower at home for the winter, cooked dishes from frozen vegetables will appeal to adults and children. Now you will not have a question: “Is it possible to give this vegetable to a baby?”
Choosing a head for freezing
Knowing how to freeze cauliflower for the winter is important. But it is equally important to understand which plug is suitable for this and which is not. Choose a head should not be by grade, and not by size. First of all, pay attention to the freshness:
- Look at the leaves. They should be elastic and tightly cover the forks. If the leaves are sluggish, lost turgor, or dried up, it means that the harvest was gathered long ago. Such a heading is not worth taking to freeze. It will not lose its commercial appearance, but it will not be tasty either.
- The best forks - tight, solid. Taking in hand, you should feel its weight. It happens that two cabbages lie next to them, outwardly completely identical. Weigh them and choose the one that is heavier. Severity speaks of juiciness and ripeness.
- Pay attention to the color. The forks should be painted evenly. The color depends on the variety, and can vary from snow white or milky to ivory. But he should not be yellow! Yellow indicates either that the cabbage is overripe, or the fact that she lay for a long time in the sun. This vegetable is not suitable for freezing! And in general, it should not be eaten.
Once properly identified with freshness, the cauliflower must be sorted by quality indicators. Carefully inspect each fork:
- Inflorescences should be pressed together. Inside each bud inflorescence should not depart to the sides. If the forks are not dense, but “fluffed up”, it means that the vegetable has overpowered. We do not need this, it is tasteless and crumble while cooking.
- If you notice dark spots, also reject unequivocally. Blackouts indicate that the defamation process has begun.
- Cabbage, soiled in the ground or sand, also does not fit. Because of the structure of the inflorescences, the dirt is difficult to wash out. Do you need the sand in your teeth to creak in the dish?
Before you freeze the cauliflower for the winter at home, you should prepare it correctly. To do this, you need to do a few simple steps:
- Rinse the forks thoroughly under a stream or immerse it several times in deep dishes with water.
- Small dirt can be cleaned with a brush without pressing too hard.
- Divide the head into buds, with the leg-stalk must be cut off completely.
- Make a salt solution in a saucepan: for 1 liter of water, 1.5 tablespoons of salt. Leave cabbage inflorescences in this solution for half an hour. During this time, all the caterpillars and insect larvae will ascend. Rinse the cabbage with clean water.
And then choose the method that suits you the most, and follow it. How to freeze cauliflower? Which way is better? These questions often arise in young housewives. However, experienced hostesses also often wonder: do they act correctly, is there no more reliable or faster way?
Fast freezing without blanching
Prepared, as stated above, lay out the cabbage to dry on a towel or a special mat for dishes. It is better to choose waffle from towels, as flaxseed does not absorb water well, and paper towels are torn and can stick to cabbage inflorescences.
Dried cabbage, place on a tray and leave in the freezer for 30-40 minutes. When it begins to harden, it should be quickly poured into a container and finally freeze. The disadvantage of this method is that when the time comes to use, cabbage inflorescences will be prepared for 5 minutes longer than those frozen by the second method.
How to freeze cauliflower for the winter
Choosing how to freeze the cauliflower for the winter, do not forget that it is important to preserve vitamins and nutrients. Поэтому способ замораживания с предварительным бланшированием капусты лучше. Но он займет больше времени, так как подготовленный овощ придется бланшировать.
Для этого потребуется большая кастрюля. Boil a lot of water in it and add a little lemon juice (a teaspoonful of 5 liters of water is enough) or citric acid (literally at the tip of a knife). We lower into it inflorescences and hold no more than three minutes. During this time, in another pot pour very cold water. It can be pre-cooled in the refrigerator or put ice into the water from the freezer. With a noisy gum, we take out the inflorescences from boiling water and quickly lower them into cold water for 2-3 minutes too.
It is possible to use a large sieve or colander for blanching. In this case, the prepared cabbage is placed in a sieve and lowered first into boiling water, and then, together with the sieve, transferred into cold water.
Then we do everything the same way as in the previous version: we dry it, put it in one layer, freeze and pour it into a storage container.
This is not to say that the method presented in the video is the most correct. But he has the right to life. Look and decide whether you will freeze the cauliflower like that or not.
The period during which cauliflower is allowed to be stored in the freezer depends on the temperature in it:
- up to minus 5 degrees Celsius - up to one month
- up to 18 degrees Celsius - no more than three months
- 18 degrees Celsius and below - cabbage retains its nutritional properties and taste for up to a year.
To store the cauliflower in the freezer, it is important to isolate it from products that have a strong odor (for example, from fish). Packing should close tightly.
Finally, I would like to draw your attention to the little things that can be useful when freezing cabbage:
- It is not necessary to freeze the forks as a whole, as it is inconvenient to store in this form. The product will take up a lot of space, and you will have to defrost it before cooking.
- Adhere to the golden rule of an experienced housewife: one package - one serving, took it out and cooked it.
- For one serving, freeze as much as you need with a prescription, the cabbage is not re-freezing, as it loses all the nutritional and healing properties.
- Attach to the packaging label with the date of freezing and the dish for which it is intended. If you do not like to cook "by eye", then weigh the portion and weight indicate on the label.
- Store cabbage in plastic bags, so it takes up less space in the freezer.
- If the choice fell on the containers, choose a rectangular shape so that they can be installed close to each other.
If you use our tips on how to properly freeze cauliflower for the winter, you can diversify your diet with a useful vegetable casserole, cabbage in crackers or cream soup, grinding everything in a blender.
How do you freeze, how do you store cauliflower in the freezer? I would like to know about your methods. Share it?
What kind of cabbage is suitable for freezing?
To keep the cabbage healthy and tasty after freezing, it is important to choose it correctly. The most important criteria that should be followed:
- First of all, the cabbage must be ripe, but not overripe. The inflorescences should be sufficiently dense, if they break up or are too soft, then the vegetable was probably stored incorrectly.
- On the surface of the head there should be no dark spots or areas on which mold has formed. Even if you cut off such areas, it will be impossible to consider a useful product, because if defects are present on the surface, then you probably head off poor quality.
- It is best to freeze the young cabbage, as the inflorescences of the “old” after defrosting can decay, which will affect the appearance of the dish.
- Look carefully at the leaves located at the base of the head of cabbage. Their shade should not confuse you, it depends on the degree of illumination of the beds on which the vegetables grew. But if the leaves are rotten and withered, then this cabbage is unlikely to be fresh.
- Size does not matter much, although if you plan to cook interesting dishes, then pay attention to the cabbages with rather bulky buds. But it is better to evaluate the weight. The bigger it is, the more juicy will be the cabbage.
- It is necessary to freeze only fresh cabbages, preferably plucked not more than two or three days ago (but if they were placed in a refrigerator immediately after harvest, then the shelf life will be longer - up to five or six days).
How to prepare cabbage?
So, you chose cabbage, now you need to prepare it. Such preparation consists of several stages:
- First you need to wash the head well to remove residual soil in which it grew, as well as other contaminants.
- Next, the head should be placed in a container filled with salt water (one or two tablespoons per liter of liquid) and leave for fifteen or twenty minutes. This is necessary so that insects that could remain inside the inflorescences, surfaced and removed from the head.
- Now rinse the cabbage well with running water to remove any salt residue.
- Next, you can divide the head into inflorescences and start freezing.
This option is simpler, since it does not require additional processing. Taste and color will remain virtually unchanged, as well as useful properties. But he has some flaws. So, in the absence of heat treatment in the vegetable pathogenic microorganisms may remain. And although some will die after freezing, others will remain and may even begin to multiply, and this is quite dangerous.
So, step by step instructions:
- The heading is divided into inflorescences, so you can immediately freeze them. But if you are worried about the bacteria, just boil them.
- Next, dry the cabbage well.
- Now go directly to the freeze. But it is undesirable to immediately fold into the inflorescence container; they may stick together and as a result, when trying to divide, they deform. Therefore, first arrange them in a flat and wide container or on some flat surface (for example, on a tray) so that they do not touch each other.
- When the inflorescences are completely frozen, that is, they become hard, transfer them to the container in which you plan to store the vegetables, and send it to the freezer.
The second method involves pre-boiling or blanching. It is more complex, but it allows you to completely destroy all bacteria. Some substances are destroyed during cooking, but since the heat treatment will be short, the composition will not change much. And some tricks will keep even the taste and natural color.
The main stages of freezing:
- First put a pot of water on the fire.
- When the water boils, add citric acid (one third teaspoon per liter) or lemon juice (tablespoon per liter) to it, this will preserve the color as much as possible and not lose it during cooking.
- Then you can immerse the cabbage in the pan. How much to cook such a vegetable? In general, this procedure is more correctly called blanching, and its duration depends on the size of the portions. If you want to freeze a whole head of cabbage, then keep it in boiling water for about ten minutes. Separate large inflorescences blanch five minutes, and small - only three.
- Next, move the inflorescences to another container and fill them with cold or better ice water and leave to cool. To cool the cabbage faster, the water can be changed several times. You can also add ice cubes.
- Dry the inflorescences, place them in a wide container and freeze, and then transfer them to a more capacious and compact container.
What container to use for storage?
How to store frozen cauliflower in the freezer? Of course, in tare. Some use plastic bags, but this is not the best option, because they can stick to the inflorescences or be damaged when you try to get a portion of the freezer.
So it is better to choose something more solid, for example, plastic containers, which, among other things, will save cabbage from damage. But you can also use tight vacuum bags with clasps, it is also very convenient and allows you to provide ideal conditions inside the container, as well as significantly save space.
How much can you store?
The shelf life of cabbage after freezing will depend on the temperature in the freezer. And the higher it is, the longer the vegetables will remain unchanged. So, at a temperature of -6 degrees cabbage will be stored for about 3-4 weeks. If the temperature drops to -12 degrees, the shelf life will last up to three months. At a temperature of -18 degrees, cabbage will retain its properties for a year.
Some tips for perfect freezing:
- It is important and properly to defrost the cabbage, especially if you are planning to cook some kind of dish from it. Before cooking this is not required, you can immediately immerse the inflorescences in boiling water. And if you want to keep the shape and density as much as possible, then thaw the vegetables at room temperature. In the microwave, they can lose their properties. Therefore, take care of everything in advance to make the dish look attractive.
- Before the procedure, it is advisable to wash the container in hot water (you can with the addition of soda) or even pour over boiling water. If it is dirty, microorganisms can begin to multiply in the cabbage.
- It is advisable to put the cabbage in vacuum bags, so it will retain its properties and does not absorb foreign odors. If there is no such container, tightly close the containers and place them in the section in which only vegetables are stored.
Now you can begin to freeze the cabbage for the winter, because you know all its nuances.
How to choose cauliflower
There are several varieties of cauliflower that are offered to us on the market: Summer Resident, Pioneer, Patriotic. The difference in appearance: some are more voluminous, others - flattened. Leaves of vegetables have a different color, shape, size. And even the colors are not the same: from snow white to cream color. Have you already chosen a certain grade? Or wondering which one is better?
The secret to choosing cauliflower is simple - choose a fresh, young head of cabbage. External differences do not affect the taste, juiciness. If you are confused by different shades of leaves, they say only that some cobs grew in the sun, others in the shade. Pay attention to the freshness of the leaves. If they look so tight, then the vegetable is on sale no more than two days. If you see sluggish, ragged, dark foliage - heading is stored for a long time. If you take such a vegetable, the inflorescences will be viscous, soft, not juicy and without pronounced taste.
Dark spots are not allowed on cauliflower. This is a fungus that in a couple of days will have time to hit the whole heading, creating a lot of rotten areas. The spoiled vegetable is not recommended for cooking, it is easy to poison them. If you can not determine which head to choose from two of the same external characteristics, there is another method. The younger the vegetable, the juicier and heavier it is. Taking 2 roughly the same head, take the one that weighs more - there is more juice!
Preparing cabbage for freezing
If you chose a fresh, juicy vegetable, then half coped with the task! Follow the instructions below:
- Place the head of cabbage in a container with cold salt water to get rid of insect larvae.
- Before sending the vegetable into the freezer, place it in boiling water for 2-3 minutes, adding lemon juice or acid to it.
- While the cauliflower is blanched, prepare a saucepan with cold water to immediately drop the head out. This method will retain the original color, juiciness and all the useful substances of the vegetable.
- After blanching, be sure to dry the whole head of cabbage.
- Proceed to removing the leaves, possible damaged areas, dividing the vegetable into inflorescences of the desired size (it all depends on what dish you will cook in the winter). If you are wondering whether it is possible to freeze the cauliflower for the winter, then the answer is yes!
An equally important stage in preparing vegetables for freezing is choosing the right container. It can be sealed containers of small size, which do not take up much space in the freezer. If they are not available, get an arsenal of bags with a clasp that create a vacuum inside, and cauliflower can be stored in the refrigerator for a long time. If you already know how much vegetable you will need for a particular dish, when choosing containers, push off the required portions.
The best recipes for freezing cauliflower for the winter
If you had only previously shredded this vegetable with a knife and folded it in bags, it’s time to diversify the culinary notebook with new recipes! So that the semi-finished products are suitable for use and do not harm the health of loved ones, determine how many degrees of frost your freezer supports. This subtlety often becomes a sad lesson even for experienced housewives.
If your freezer gives only -6 degrees, then the storage period of the head should not exceed 2 weeks. It is not worth hoping that the vegetable will continue to keep all the valuable vitamins at such a low degree. If the temperature exceeds the mark of -12 degrees, then you have to freeze for six weeks, then you will need to cook something tasty with cauliflower. In order not to get confused, write the date of freezing on each container. A temperature of -18 degrees will keep the cauliflower for a year with all the vitamins.
Recipe billet packs or kegs
- cauliflower - 1 head,
- big pot,
- bags on the clasp.
- Remove all foliage.
- Cut the vegetable into inflorescences. If in the winter you want to cook the vegetable in batter, then leave the average size of the inflorescences. If you want to use cauliflower for borscht and stews, cut small florets (up to 3-4 cm long).
- In a cold saucepan with salt, place the vegetable for 5 minutes.
- Spread a kitchen towel. Posting on it inflorescences, waiting until complete drying.
- Prepare packages. Ideal if you have a kitchen scale. So you can weigh cauliflower, and then add the vegetable strictly according to the recipe.
- Fill the bags with inflorescences, remove all the air. Small secret: insert a straw or straw inside, closing the fastener close. Suck air out, then quickly close the rest of the bag.
- Do not forget to put the dates and roughly calculate how much cauliflower will be stored in your cell depending on the temperature.
Blanched in salted water
- cauliflower - 1 head,
- deep pan,
- kitchen towel,
- Rinse the cabbage under the wastewater. Wipe it with your hands, so pesticides will be removed faster.
- With a sharp knife cut off all the foliage. Chop the inflorescences of the same diameter so that the blanching goes evenly. Remove main thick stem.
- Weigh the approximate mass of cabbage inflorescences. Fill the pot with water at the rate of 4 liters per 500 g of vegetables. If you do not have such a large pot, blanch in 2 sets.
- Put boiled water in a saucepan, at this time, pour the liquid into another container. Well, if you have ice. In the absence of it, put the water in the refrigerator for a few minutes.
- When water boils, throw cauliflower there. Cover with a lid, wait for a full boil. Add salt. Hold the cabbage in boiling water for another 3 minutes, and reach for it. Vegetable should be at the stage of half-cooked - solid.
- Send the cabbage to cold water as quickly as possible. This will preserve the color, juiciness and rich flavor of the vegetable.
- Thoroughly dry all the inflorescences if you do not want the quality of the product to deteriorate due to ice crystals.
Frozen fresh cauliflower and broccoli, not boiling
If you have not yet decided how to freeze the cauliflower in the freezer in an unusual way, add broccoli to it. Such vegetable platter is sold in large supermarkets at space prices. It is suitable for stews, soup, succulent side dishes for meat, as well as for the first feeding of a baby older than 6 months. You can use the blanching method as the main one, but if there is no time for it, try to do without boiling. For preparation you will need:
- cauliflower - 1 head,
- broccoli - 1 head,
- big pot,
Stages of preparation for freezing:
- Thoroughly rinse both heads under running water.
- Cabbage and broccoli clean from leaves. Inspect possible damaged areas. If there is, it is better to remove them.
- Remove the thick stem from the vegetables, leaving small, uniform inflorescences in accordance with the preferred recipes of the dishes.
- In a large pot, pour boiled water with salt. Leave cauliflower and broccoli there for half an hour to get rid of insect larvae.
- Dry the vegetables on a towel.
- Take a portion of the containers or bags, put them in assorted.
Rules for storing cauliflower in the freezer
If you remember several conditions for defrosting cauliflower, your dishes will always be the most delicious. For example, if you once got a vegetable from the freezer, it should be consumed during the day. Add a serving to the baby soup, omelette, stew, side dish. It is not advisable to freeze back, because the cabbage has been subjected to heat treatment, and it will not be possible to save all the vitamins.
In addition to blanching the cabbage is not necessary, the vegetable has already passed halfway before freezing. Before cooking, consider that such cabbage cooks faster. Если вы не хотите получить слишком мягкий овощ, похожий на кашу, добавляйте его в самом конце приготовления. Но это весомый плюс для детского пюре – при мягкости капусты наравне с другими ингредиентами, у вас получится однородная масса.
Видео: как заморозить цветную капусту и сохранить ее свойства
If you like to learn new recipes, watch the video, check out the roller of an experienced chef and syroeda. It shows how to cook cauliflower for freezing. You will need 1 head of vegetable, citric acid, water, saucepan and dishcloth. Step by step analysis of all actions, see the video master class:
Cauliflower freeze recipe
- cauliflower 1 kg
- water 2 l
- salt 2 tbsp. l
Calories: 48 kcal
Fresh cauliflower wash, clean from green leaves and debris. Divide into pieces, approximately 4 cm wide.
In a saucepan, mix the water and salt, send the inflorescences for 20 minutes.
Then take out, rinse the cabbage with running water and spread on paper napkins to dry.
Then place the absolutely dry pieces on a baking sheet and place in the freezer for 40 minutes. When the cabbage froze well, then fold it into resealable bags or plastic containers. Put back in the freezer.
Step-by-step process description
- Vegetable wash, cut off green leaves and dark spots, divided into inflorescences.
- Bring water to a boil, salt and send cabbage there. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Then get and when cooled cool blender to a state of mashed potatoes. Cool on the table first, then 15 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Fold in bags, bury tightly and put in the freezer, where to get then the right portions.
Secrets of freezing
One of the main features of proper freezing is the choice of the vegetable itself and preparation for freezing. It is necessary to choose the juicy, without darkening and dry parts of the cabbages. It is also necessary to stand cabbage in cold water with the addition of 20 grams of salt. What for? It's simple. The cabbage has such a structure that many small insects can hide in it, and it is the salt water that helps cleanse the animals and bacteria that are there.
Why does cauliflower change color or become darker in the freezer
Frequent reasons that the workpiece can change color (turn blue, go green, or even turn black) are improper handling before freezing. Or makes the cabbage darken inadequate disposal of moisture. She gets very ugly and inedible look. Also, the color change is possible with insufficient low temperature storage. Properly preparing raw materials for freezing is a mandatory requirement for a successful result. The process in the home should be fast enough. And then you will not have problems with color change, and the workpiece will not turn blue.
What to store
Plastic containers with lids or special tight-fitting frost bags are best. Choose a small container to defrost only the amount required for cooking.
Be sure to use at least one of the above recipes in order to prepare healthy and vitamin dishes for your family during the winter season.