Among the variety of fabrics that are abundant on the shelves of shops, there are traditional patterns with a long history. They are popular today, despite the great competition among the innovations of the weaving industry. The relevance of such tissues primarily depends on their impressive characteristics.
A striking example of well-deserved demand is a percale originally from India, where several centuries ago we received a canvas with a characteristic interweaving of threads. Its most widespread use was recorded later in France, for the manufacture of sails, with the fabric pretreated with an oil composition.
More recently, the fabric continued to be used as a technical with a specific lacquer impregnation in the aviation industry of the mid-twentieth century. But the light industry has not ignored the percale.
The fabric is good for making impermeable napernikov, for bed linen, tailoring and household items.
What is a fabric? Usually this cloth is made of natural cotton, or sometimes it is diluted with synthetic or natural fibers to improve performance. From the use of additives by manufacturers, the name of textiles does not change, because the manufacturing technology with a cross-weave of long fibers remains unchanged. Based on the presence of additives, percale is:
- cotton with the addition of flax,
- cotton with the inclusion of polyester.
The process of cross-weaving allows you to get on the one hand a dense fabric that has a velvety surface and a smooth tactile, and on the other - thin and light, thanks to threads of medium and minimal thickness.
For the manufacture of fiber take high-quality long-staple combed cotton. Pre-fibers are sanded - adhesive treatment to improve the properties.
Cotton percale is treated with a composition of potato starch, glycerin or animal fat. What gives the dressing:
- increases wear resistance
- contributes to anti-static,
- removes fleecy, making the canvas smooth and elastic,
- increases the strength of the threads.
The used sizing composition is harmless to health. For coloring usually used stuffed way. The fabric is suitable for applying complex paintings using photo printing with high-quality dyes, non-toxic and resistant to external influences.
She is good at sewing clothes with a complex cut, for the realization of non-standard solutions, the use in the work of additional materials such as frills with lace. Simply put, from it you can sew, for example, elegant exclusive linens.
Properties and Views
Traditionally, countries where cotton is grown and processed in large volumes are the leaders in the production of cloth. This is India with Pakistan and Egypt. In Russia, the lion's share of the percale is made by the weaving capital, the city of Ivanovo. By types of textiles can be divided into:
- household, from which naperniki and bed linen are sewn, clothes and household items in the form of tablecloths, curtains, napkins and other things,
- technical, for tailoring parachutes and tents, awnings, and other industrial needs.
These types of fabric are in demand over the centuries due to their beneficial properties:
- wear resistance, with intensive use and regular washing,
- ability to preserve color without fading, without fading,
- stability of the structure, allowing not to sit down during heat treatment,
- breathability to avoid excessive perspiration,
- environmental friendliness, eliminating the occurrence of allergies and dermatitis,
- unpretentious care.
Merits and demerits
Consider the pros and cons of the percale canvas on the example of its use for sewing bed linen. Benefits:
- The safety of the strength of the product for the entire long life with saving its appearance.
- Comfort of application, due to the subtlety and softness. Pleasant tactile sensations.
- The possibility of applying to the canvas of various images makes it stylish and colorful.
- Percale is ideal for decorating with embroidery, which makes the product out of it unusual, exclusive. This is an opportunity to create a masterpiece with your own hands.
- Safety for human health lies in the anti-allergic properties of natural material. Plus the ability to seamlessly absorb moisture, without causing skin irritation on the body.
- Percaleal products are erased in any temperature conditions, up to eighty degrees. This does not change the color of the canvas, its structure and shape, an attractive appearance.
- Other care also does not require much effort. Ironing a hot iron is not a problem.
- Initially, the fabric has a crispy base, but gradually, when used, it loses this property, acquiring softness.
- Percale products quickly crumple.
- The fabric is not polished. It does not have the luster inherent in other materials for sewing linen.
- In some cases, even one hundred percent cotton composition does not allow to avoid allergies, but this depends on the individual characteristics of the organism and its reaction to the components of the dressing. Such cases are rare, but they do occur.
- Fabric with polyester in the composition can increase sweating, so the best choice would be a natural canvas.
Comparison with similar materials
How to choose a good fabric for bedding? Let's compare the most popular varieties of bed linen with similar characteristics, which are also made from cotton. For example, satin. The properties of satin with percals are similar, but the first one looks richer due to matte gloss, and the second one is more durable.
Poplin has characteristics similar to percals, but it is rougher and thicker. The coarse calico is wear-resistant due to the roughness of the material and can give uncomfortable sensations to people with sensitive skin. It is significantly inferior to all previously listed fabrics for decoration and pleasant tactility.
Satin with poplin practically do not concede percale on all characteristics, except service life. If the priority is the durability of linen, then the choice is to stop on perkali, and if the brilliance and visual appeal - on satin. It all depends on requests and funds. Natural percale is not cheap and is used for tailoring luxury linen.
In connection with the use of adhesive in the production process, there are some subtleties in the treatment of percale. Proper care will increase the life of textiles while maintaining all the characteristics and its visual appeal. The main recommendations are:
- in need of machine or hand washing at medium temperature conditions, where a maximum of 60 ° C,
- in refusing bleaches that damage the fiber structure,
- in use for softening and softening the fabric of conditioning agents,
- in a light wash of a new product with cool water and a small amount of powder for colored materials,
- in performing a gentle spin,
- ironing with a warm iron heated to a maximum of 150 ° C.
With a properly performed first wash, further care of the material will be trouble-free.
Fabric percale meets all the high performance, allowing to maintain demand for centuries, subject to the acquisition of quality material, and not fake. She adequately proved herself both in industry and in everyday life. For lovers of comfort, beauty and quality, percale is ideal, regardless of the high cost.
Some time ago, the material belonged to the elite; it was problematic to find it in the ordinary store of home textiles. But today on the store shelves you can see the percale presented by the variety of colors. Reviews of percale bedding for the most part focus on density and strength. These characteristics are achieved due to the features of the production process.
Production technology involves the use of cotton threads undoled. This allows you to transfer to the surface of the fabric almost any pattern, which is why the material is represented by such a rich assortment of colors. In order to give the fabric a special strength and density, to give it the necessary performance characteristics, the threads are subjected to additional sizing. By the way, due to this, the canvas acquires tactile softness and smoothness, it becomes pleasant to the touch.
Sizing is the process of applying a special adhesive to the surface of a fabric. This technology allows us to allocate material with a density of 90/160 for each 10 cm of canvas. If you are looking for home textiles for permanent use, your choice is percale fabric for bed linen. Reviews of modern hostesses emphasize how long such a material serves, as it is easy to wash and iron.
About the benefits
Many people wonder whether bed linen is better than percale or calico. Reviews will help to understand all the features of these materials, to make the right choice. Comparing the bed of coarse calico and percale, it is necessary to pay attention to the structure and density of the weave of the fibers - in this indicator perkalya virtually no equal. You can be sure: putting in front of a canvas of calico and percale, you will notice the obvious difference. Reviews of bed linen (percale) revealed a number of important advantages:
- Unsurpassed durability for long life
- pleasant to the touch surface, which gives comfort during sleep and rest,
- smooth, flat, lint-free surface,
- excellent flowing ability
- the ability to transfer any pattern and even embroidery,
- special technology of fabric production allows to avoid the formation of a pellet on the surface of the material,
- ability to absorb moisture.
No review will not be objective, if you do not point out the fabric percale for bed linen. User feedback suggests that the disadvantages, if they can be called such, are the high cost of ready-made bed linen and the lack of ability to absorb sweat. There are drawbacks to this fabric, despite the high cost. As for the price, it is much higher than other fabrics (linen can cost up to 20 thousand rubles). Yes, and call unpretentious material is also impossible. Does it really require a special, gentle care for fabric percale for bed linen? Reviews confirm that this option is definitely not suitable for hostesses who have little time, as they will have to make a lot of effort for the flawless appearance of the laundry. That is why think carefully about the feasibility of this acquisition.
Subtleties of choice
Reviews on bedding made of percale - a great help for modern housewives who do not know what to look for in the first place. If you are not ready to spend money, do not differ in scrupulousness, we do not recommend to buy bed linen from percale. Better pay attention to the calico - it is cheaper and looks more or less normal without much care.
If you chose the percale, be sure to verify the authenticity of the material. Reviews of bedding made of percale will help you make the right choice. This percale gives the density of the weave of fibers - carefully study the products. If the threads in the weaving are connected in a cross-shaped way or in a circular weaving - there is a fake in front of you.
Much has been said that the percale requires special careful care. It is important to remember one simple rule - it is strictly forbidden to use bleaching agents for washing and to boil cloth. The optimal temperature for washing is 45 degrees. Material does not tolerate pre-fouling and soaking. And before you put it in the drum of a washing machine, it is better to give a little rest in a cool room.
Considering the fact that the fabric is wrinkled when wet, it is better to place it in a horizontal or vertical position, carefully straightening it. Percale is not afraid of exposure to direct sunlight. Therefore, it can be hung out for drying on the sunny side. Allowable temperature for ironing is 140-150 degrees.
What is percale
Fabric is often compared with sateen: percale also demonstrates excellent quality and durability. The basis of the fabric is long staple cotton. Often, besides it, polyester or silk is a part.
Little is known, but initially the canvas was made specifically for sewing parachutes and sails. Over time, both the fabric itself and its purpose underwent some changes.
At its core, the percale is quite thin, but at the same time very dense and durable fabric of plain weave. Threads for it are not twisted - strength and smoothness are achieved due to a special, non-toxic adhesive composition. It is its use in the process that allows bed linen to preserve the original appearance for many years. Despite the density, the canvas remains smooth and delicate.
Outwardly, the percale resembles a batiste, but in terms of quality characteristics, these fabrics differ quite significantly. Percale density starts at 115 g / cm 2. But the highest quality bed linen is sewn from a material with a thickness of 130 to 159 g / cm 2.
Advantages and disadvantages of percale bed linen
Bedding sets made from percale, have a number of undoubted advantages. First of all, we are talking about the following significant points:
- preservation of color and quality characteristics even after numerous washes,
- long service life (with proper care - more than 10 years),
- hygiene that meets Russian and European standards for bed linen,
- non-susceptibility to electrification
- wear resistance
- lack of formation of pellets.
Pet percale bedding will appreciate. The risk that the pet, walking through the sheet, will pull the thread or leave the wool, is extremely small. The fabric is strong enough and does not attract the hair at all.
There are some disadvantages that for some consumers may be very significant:
- The fabric does not tolerate washing with the use of household chemicals.
- The matter is matte and does not have luster, but this is more a characteristic than an obvious disadvantage.
- A set of such cloth has a high cost. Those who wish to purchase a truly high-quality percale bedding set should be aware that a good product is made mainly in Europe. Especially highly valued products from Portugal and Italy. The price of European goods is very high, but the costs are paid off with excellent quality and durability of products. Decent manufacturers are beginning to appear in our country. But they still do not reach the world level of quality.
- Percale has a lower hygroscopicity compared to conventional cotton fabrics. Some owners complain that in the heat they wake up in a very damp bed.
- The drawings on such clothes do not differ in brightness, although they are always very beautiful and clear, and with proper care do not fade the entire life of the kit.
When buying a set for a child or an allergic person, you should first make sure that only cotton is included and that synthetic additives like polyester are completely absent. For newborns and children up to two years old, the percale is not suitable, because their bed should be washed regularly in intensive mode, ironed out on strong heat.
If you take care of the bed set correctly, it will look new even after more than a dozen washes. But it is enough to make at least one small mistake, and there will be no trace of luxury.
Before the first use of pillowcases, sheets and duvet covers, they are recommended to be put in a cool place for a couple of hours to “breathe”. Do not soak under any circumstances.
As for washing, the maximum allowable temperature is 45 degrees. But it is better to choose a mode from 20 to 30 degrees. Pre-bedding must be turned inside out and fastened with zippers or buttons, if such are provided by the model. Means for washing should be soft, for wool or synthetics and in the liquid form.
Important! You can not use any starch, or bleach, or flavors. But air conditioners and all kinds of fabric softeners are very welcome.
If we are talking about white bedding, the temperature is acceptable, starting from the second wash, increase to 65 degrees. But about any bleach should be no question.
After the washing cycle is over, the laundry should be immediately removed from the washing machine and immediately hanged neatly. This will not give him much to bathe.
Although the percale kits are crumpled easily, it’s easy to stroke them. The material perfectly transfers heat and steam from the iron. But in order not to risk or weaken the fibers, it is recommended to heat the sole of the device above 150 degrees. Единственный совет — к глажке следует приступать только после полного высыхания комплекта. Если осуществляется машинная сушка, режим нужно выбирать деликатный.
What to look for when choosing
Выбирая набор из перкаля первое, что следует оценить — это цвета. As a rule, bedding from this fabric is sewn from monophonic fabrics and decorated with inlays, lace or embroidery. Sometimes you can find copies with pictures. Dark shades are rarely used, as they make the fabric web thicker and rougher. Upon careful consideration of the figure, no twisting should be visible.
Since the percale kit is quite expensive, most manufacturers apply a special sample to their products, through which you can verify the naturalness of the material and its quality. If this sample is set on fire, it should peel off with ash and leave a slight smell of burning paper.
Synthetic fibers are not burned, and fused, leaving behind an unpleasant smell. Such a set will electrify, worse to pass air and absorb moisture, can cause skin irritation.
It will not be superfluous before you make a purchase, deploy the selected set. This will make it possible to make sure that the color quality is the same from the back and the front side.
Bedding from percale can not be called budget. But this fact does not affect the demand from buyers. Having bought such a set once, you will easily forget about purchasing a new one for many years.
Characteristics of fabric percale for bed linen
Natural, comfortable, durable and light - these are the most attractive features. Hygroscopic, even if you sweat, all moisture is absorbed, and it will not be cold. Percale underwear keeps warm. It is dense, so no feather will burst out. By the way, earlier it was because of this property that percals were used to sew covers on pillows.
But than to read, it is better to look at the percale bed linen photo. Products are elegant, beautiful. No wonder in Europe, such kits belong to the "suite". The fabric is beautifully painted, even fine details of the image are perfectly visible on it. That is why manufacturers offer such a rich assortment of designs.
Extras: Read reviews on fabric percale in another article.
Fabric percale for bed linen: reviews
Well, now the most interesting thing is the feedback from those who have already slept on the percale bed. Many say that it is warm and cozy, the laundry does not wrinkle, it remains whole for a long time. The cover warms perfectly on cold nights, but in summer it is better to change it to a lighter one, it can be hot. If used as a protection for a sofa, the product is ideal: it does not allow dust to penetrate inside, keeping the bed hygienically clean. The pillow does not stick, because it is also impenetrable to feathers, and does not get wet from the sweaty head. It is convenient to sleep on it for small children who have increased sweating. Sheet soft, pleasant to the body.
Percale or poplin: which is better
Poplin - woven fabric made on the basis of cotton and silk, has a small scar, so it is not always convenient for people with sensitive skin. The bed linen from it is distinguished by soft gloss. What distinguishes one from the other is clearly visible: poplin is more prominent. However, what is better, difficult to say, is worth relying on your own tastes. Both materials are natural and durable.
Percale or satin: which is better
Now comparable with sateen. This is logical: both options are made from cotton, so it’s difficult to understand how one differs from the second. Satin is made of twisted yarn, weaving is double. This method gives products a pronounced brilliance. The fabric is also dense, but it wears out pretty quickly, and all the original elegance disappears. Choosing what to prefer, proceed from the questions of practicality: percale kits will remain beautiful longer and will not break. While satin look more elegant and pretentious.
For more information to compare with sateen, see the link.
What is different from percale calico
Now comparable with the calico. This is the simplest version of cotton material, which uses linen weaving, which is typical for percale. However, calico is more rough to the touch and perceived coarser. It is also heavier, although it also lets in air, and at a price it is much cheaper. Both that, and that bedding is hygienic and hypoallergenic, but only percale kits will definitely last longer. The choice is again yours. The main thing is to like the acquisition and contribute to a great sleep!
On the video you can see more information about this material:
The composition and types of satin
By themselves, both satin and percale are simply different ways of weaving. Due to variations in the location of the main (vertical) and weft (horizontal) threads, the fabric gets completely different mechanical and technological properties. Its appearance also depends on it. Satin is made from double twisted yarn. Long-staple cotton varieties are used. Twisted weft yarns, interlaced with the main rare step, create a silky front side of the fabric, the purl remains matte.
The composition can be either 100% cotton or non-uniform. Initially, satin, leading its history from the Chinese province of Quanzhou, from where the ships of overseas merchants carried it around the world, was a fabric made of silk fibers of special dense weaving. Then the Chinese applied such a method on cotton threads and obtained an excellent inexpensive fabric with a shiny satin surface imitating luxurious silk. Modern technology has expanded the range of satin fabrics. Today there are several types, depending on the density, composition, processing.
- Ordinary and printed satin - Cotton fabrics with a density of about 85-100 and 150 threads per centimeter respectively. This is not very high density, so inexpensive bed linen is sewn from such sateen. For very budgetary options, pigment coloring is applied, affecting only the surface of the material, such products may fade and fade over time. Better reactive dye penetrates deep into the fibers and leaves the pattern on the fabric bright and clear even after many washes.
Advantages and disadvantages
- not rolling down.
- wear resistance
- not electrified.
- evenness of the canvas.
- low shrinkage.
High density directly affects the strength and durability. Percale underwear and clothing retain their attractiveness and color up to 1000 washes.
Drawing is not erased and does not fade. The fabric is initially matte, so products from it look good regardless of color.
The method of weaving prevents the appearance of the pellet, folds and stretch, why percale remains smooth and soft even after long use. The solution, with the help of which the threads are fastened, has high adhesive characteristics, so the fabric does not nap and does not shrink (no more than 2%).
The material is hypoallergenic and does not electrify, so you can sew baby bedding or a set for people prone to skin and lung diseases from it. Hygiene allows the use of percale objects in the summer. It perfectly absorbs secretions of the sebaceous glands and allows the skin to breathe.
- requires a special approach.
- more expensive than many other cotton and linen fabrics.
This fabric does not like strong abrasive substances, it is capricious and hard water. One wrong step will lead to irreversible consequences.
Return the lost properties will not work, it will remain perhaps to admire the photo of a previously beautiful textile.
Bed linen and percale: friends or enemies?
Covering aircraft remained far behind. Modern society prefers to sleep on this fabric, rather than watch it in the sky.
And to have at home textiles made of percale is prestigious. Its presence speaks not only of good taste, but also of high income.
Elite bedding sets export the following countries to our country:
Previously, France was the leader in the production of high-quality home percale textiles. Today, the figures are somewhat blurred, since almost all of Europe prefers pillowcases and sheets made of this fabric over the other options.
However, increased demand in no way affects the cost of products. The average price of the kit is about $ 460.
In our country, you can purchase products and domestic production. Factories produce underwear of the following types:
- polutoraspalnoe (suitable for children over 3 years old),
- double bed (standard set consisting of 2 pillowcases, sheets and duvet cover),
- Euro (differs from the previous version in the size of the sheet and duvet cover),
- family (the duvet cover is smaller than that of the double bed; sheets are larger).
Recommendations for selection
We do not recommend to stop on products from this fabric if you are not ready to spend money and are not distinguished by scrupulousness. Calico - the closest competitor percals - costs much less and looks good.
If you need a kit from a percale, then before buying, make sure that there is no fake in front of you. Since the fabric is elite and has high characteristics, the percentage of people who want to imitate it is extremely high.
This percale gives out his weaving. Take a close look at the products. Threads in the product are connected using cross-shaped or circular weaving? So it's fake.
Drying and ironing
- squeeze carefully.
- Do not leave clean clothes in the washing machine for a long time.
- suitable both horizontal and vertical way of hanging.
- when hanging, please note that wet fabric is very wrinkled.
- it is possible to hang both the back and the back side, as the percale does not fade in the sun.
- optimal temperature for ironing: 140-150 degrees.
We strongly advise you to familiarize yourself with sets of other materials before buying percale bed linen. Overpaying in this case is for what, testimonials testify to this, but only the purchase of goods from percale can greatly affect the wallet.
Characteristics of poplin
Back in the XIV century. Italians invented a special "papal" fabric. That is translated from the Italian popeline. It was the fabric of rich people, because weaving it from silk. And it was two-sided: one-color on one side and patterned on the other. Today poplin is 100% cotton fabric or with the addition of synthetic fibers. Used for sewing everyday clothes, including children’s, nightwear and nightgowns and shirts, curtains and towels. For high-end bed linen, natural wool and silk are added to cotton. But the main thing is not the composition, but the way of interlacing the threads.
It was in the Middle Ages that they invented the use of thinner threads for the basis of the canvas and twice as thick for weft. As a result, the fabric is thin, on its front side there is a small transverse hem. Modern poplin has a density of 110 to 120 grams per square meter (approximately the same density is of high quality calico or satin). In terms of color, poplin is bleached, dyed, multicolored or printed.
Fabric has a number of advantages: softness, silky sheen, resistance to crushing, high density, democratic price, beautiful appearance (including 3D effect). Over time, buyers realize that items from poplin do not require ironing, are not deformed, breathe well and retain their heat well. Under the natural fabric the body does not sweat, does not feel tactile discomfort. Things withstand up to 200 washes at a temperature of 30 degrees and do not require special care. The material is inert to static electricity, i.e. it is not electrified.
But there are no perfect things. Since woolen or silk threads are used in the manufacture of bed linen, the products often shrink strongly during washing. In addition, poorly dyed fabric can shed. The subtlety leads to the fact that through the canvas is visible the base (pillow, mattress, blanket).
We are talking about a cotton fabric with a very dense thread weave from yarn of medium thickness (a similar canvas of thin thread - batiste). Persian pargal from India came to Europe, where the Frenchman Anne-Robert-Jacques Turgot in 1774 decided to use percale, soaked in linseed oil, to sew sails. By the way, on the ship and in aircraft construction (for sewing parachutes and covering aircraft elements), this concept is masculine. When using the same word in the sewing business of the fabric speak in the feminine.
Now percals are used in parachute and sailing, but bed linen and covers are sewn from it.since dense fabric does not pass feather and feather components and other types of fillers. From printed and one-colored percals sew children's and women's clothing. Percale is made from untwisted paper quality long-staple cotton yarn.
Unusual strength is achieved by sizing, that is, processing the adhesive composition of each linen fiber. As a result, the threads do not push, and the fabric becomes smooth.
Due to the use of glue, it is necessary to properly make the first wash of the thing: it should be delicate at a temperature of 20 degrees, without strong spin. In the future, it is also recommended to wash bed linen when using the delicate mode and water temperature of 60 degrees. Do not use bleach when washing, but air conditioners and softeners are welcome. This will not only give the linen a pleasant smell, but also simplify ironing. With each wash, things will be softer and more pleasant to the touch. Experts say that percale will withstand up to 1000 washes.
Thus, percale has many positive characteristics.
- Very high strength.
- High level of wear resistance for cotton fabrics. The service life of products - eight years.
- Density - 130-150 grams per square meter. This is a high figure for cotton fabrics.
- The fabric is a little deformed and does not form the pellets on the surface.
- Due to the fact that the yarn is not twisted, the fabric is smooth and soft to the touch.
- The ability to maintain the required temperature. No wonder this fabric appeared in hot India - the percale has a cooling effect. At the same time, during the cold season, it perfectly retains heat.