Unfortunately, the appearance of even the most modern heating devices do not always meet the aesthetic requirements, sometimes it can not perfectly fit into the interior of the room. The desire of the owners to eliminate this drawback is quite natural.
Before you close the heating battery, you should understand all the intricacies of the issue. Otherwise, the cost of heating homes may increase significantly.
Masking radiators and heat engineering laws
The main task of any radiator is to heat the room. The goal is achieved by a combination or separate use of two methods - infrared radiation and convection. Thanks to them, comfortable conditions are formed. Infrared radiation provides heat transfer to objects in the room, convective - heats the air.
We can feel the thermal energy if we place our hand in close proximity to the radiator. Convection provides air circulation and uniform temperature distribution throughout the room. This is known from the school physics course - warm air, rising up, displaces colder air.
It should be understood that virtually any method of concealing pipes and radiators will lead to an inevitable loss of heating power. The simplest example is the use of an art glass screen. It would seem that the task of decorating the radiator was completed successfully, but it became immediately noticeably colder in the room. It all happened because the glass almost completely eliminates infrared radiation.
The deeper and more reliable the radiator is hidden, the greater the losses will be. This statement fully applies to deaf screens that prevent both long-wave infrared radiation and short-wave convection.
The same can be said about the dull boxes above the upper part of the radiator - they are an insurmountable barrier to the distribution of warm air upwards (the convection method does not work). The conclusion suggests itself - the larger the area of the holes in the pad, the smaller the heat loss will be.
Original ideas on the decor and disguise of heating devices will present a photo collection:
Requirements for the decor of radiators
The availability of pipes and batteries is another important point in the choice of decor after the requirements of heat engineering. It is well known that the heating battery, and the nominal connection with the pipe, is the weakest point. In addition, the radiator itself may leak due to improper installation and operation, or for a number of other reasons.
In case of emergency, it may be necessary to remove the radiator for repair or replacement. From the plumbing point of view, the pad or screen should not have a fixed attachment, ideally using added screens.
Even if you decide to ignore the plumbing tips, still listen to the gloss of reason, which suggests that any weak points in the system are the joints. The presence of a revision (plastic door) can significantly simplify the task of servicing the radiator and the heating system in the future.
# 1: Painting - a budget solution
From the point of view of the designer is very important color combination. Most often, the heating radiator is painted white, so the poet on the walls of light colors will be almost invisible.
If the walls have a solid dark color, then there will be no problems either. It will be enough to pick up the heat-resistant paint of the desired color and paint the radiator. If it is not possible to get to the tone perfectly, then there will be nothing terrible in it, the difference in several tones against the general background seems almost imperceptible.
If the wallpaper on the walls have a picture, then the radiator must be made to match it. Most often, one or two walls have an ornament, and the rest are finished with wallpaper of different texture in one tone.
In this case, from the remnants of all used wallpaper, you must cut the strips and stick them on the radiator. The thickness of the stripes and the alternation should be selected on the spot, empirically, trying to get the resulting picture most harmoniously fit into the interior of the room.
If we are talking about the disguise of heating radiators in the nursery, then you can give vent to fantasy and paint them to match the surrounding interior. Ready stencils will be useful in case of insufficient experience with a brush. Do not forget that you need to use only heat-resistant paints.
The painting of the radiator is shown in the video:
# 2: Applying cloth as a screen
Another proven and very successful way to disguise a heating radiator is the “curtain to the floor”. Previously, this method was the most simple and popular due to the fact that heavy blackout curtains were in vogue. Now it is customary to use a dense fabric that is attached with velcro to a wall or window sill.
It is best to mount the curtain from the wall to the wall, for the bright curtain it will look great. Similarly, you can do, replacing the curtains with vertical blinds.
# 3: Traditional Hard Screen Device
One of the easiest ways to close batteries is to use add-on screens. For their manufacture can be used a variety of materials or whole combinations.
True, you need to take into account that the screen itself by the wall may look ridiculous, so you need to think over its details to the smallest detail and correctly fit into the interior. The store will not be difficult to find ready-made screens and close radiators with their help.
The most common types of screens are:
1. Metal screens. As a rule, stainless steel is used for its manufacture or the elements are chrome plated. Such products are characterized by good thermal conductivity and durability.
With a relatively low cost and good functionality, their appearance leaves much to be desired. Without additional finishing such screens are suitable for decoration in a high-tech style.
2. Wooden screen. This option is considered the most win-win, as the tree fits easily into the interior of almost any room. It is best to buy not a ready-made standard screen, but to make it to order. The appearance of the wooden screen must match the style and color of the furniture or be part of it.
The appearance of the wooden screen resembles a woven lattice and looks spectacular and stylish. Best of all, a wooden lattice is suitable for masking the battery located under the window. Such a design with a sufficient number of holes does not prevent the penetration of warm air and provides good convection.
3. Glass screen. Decorative glass will give the interior of any room a look of lightness and ease. Rooms with a glass screen made of decorative glass take the form of well-groomed and finished. True, along with the spectacular appearance of such a screen lies in itself and a significant drawback.
When using a glass screen, heat transfer is almost halved. Therefore it is necessary to choose between effectiveness and efficiency. If you address the issue correctly, it is best to use a screen made of decorative glass panels - this is how the corresponding concealing effect will be achieved and maximum thermal conductivity will be ensured.
Video review of masking designs made of decorative glass:
4. Drywall screen. If earlier it was about screens, as about finished products, then the screen from gypsum cardboard can be made independently. A drywall screen is considered the most affordable option. Make it a force for everyone, and fixing with the subsequent decoration should not cause any particular difficulties.
5. Making a drywall screen. Since the drywall screen device option is considered the most versatile, we’ll dwell on its device in more detail. To create and install the screen you will need the following tools and materials:
- Stationery knife
- Scissors for metal
- Sandpaper, level
- Drywall Sheet
- CD and UD profile
Let's open a small secret - drywall is not recommended to use without pre-treatment. This is due to the fact that this material does not have sufficient thermal conductivity. In addition, under the influence of heat, it collapses and crumbles.
You can correct the situation by treating the sheet of drywall with PVA glue 2-3 times. Such treatment will not only effectively prevent drying, but also significantly increase thermal conductivity.
Works on the device screen of drywall begin with the installation of the frame. For its manufacture, it is necessary to cut off the guides of the UD profiles and fix them with screws to the floor and the sill. In order for the screen surface to coincide with the wall surface, the frame must be drowned by the thickness of the drywall plus the thickness of the finish. Usually, this value is 13-14 mm.
Next you need to fix the CD profiles, while you need to consider that the distance between the vertical profiles should slightly exceed the size of the lattice. Armed with a pencil and tape measure you need to put on the sheet the dimensions of the blanks and cut them with a stationery knife.
Cut the workpiece should be screwed to the frame with screws. Fastening should be done very carefully, since if the caps of the self-tapping screws are too deep, the drywall sheet may break. It remains to secure the grille and make the screen finish.
# 4: Construct radiator boxes
Boxes that hide the battery, it is best to arrange when carrying out repairs or installation of the heating system. The following materials are suitable for the manufacture of boxes:
- Drywall One of the most common materials. It has low cost, easy and simple to process. There are lots of ways to carry out finishing using drywall. This material can be puttied and painted, covered with wallpaper and film, decorated with stucco.
- MDF panels. Another budget option device decorative trim. MDF is not afraid of sudden changes in temperature and is not subject to drying. Usually, the design of MDF panels imitates wood of exotic or rare woods, which makes it easy to fit into the interior of the room.
- Plywood. This material is very light and easy to handle. With it, you can quickly make a strong and lightweight screen for the radiator. Plywood is easy to cut and also decorated. Varnishing, painting, gluing film or wallpaper, decorative plaster can be selected as a finishing treatment.
- Sheets of laminated chipboard. This material is more difficult to work with, although with its fixation problems never arise.
- Wood. Ecological purity and naturalness testify to the benefit of this material. With the help of wooden bars and slats, it is possible to make an excellent box without working skills and special tools, which will help to perfectly close not only the radiator, but also the heating pipes. At the same time, it is much easier to work with slats, this especially applies to working in hard-to-reach places.
A box can become not just a decoration and a disguise of a heating battery, but a functional or aesthetic load. If we consider the option with functionality, it is possible, for example, with the help of chipboard sheets and guides to make a cabinet in the entire width of the room. The optimal height of such a cabinet should correspond to the height of the window sill, if the radiator is located under the window.
Aesthetic load box more difficult to implement, but quite doable. The radiator located near the wall can be decorated under the fireplace. In this case, it is not necessary to use brickwork and the installation of a forged grille. You can do much easier, and make a box from a cut sheet of plywood or fiberboard.
After fixing the wooden lath frame and installing the cut sheets of plywood, it remains to paste over the fireplace with a film. You can go further, and stick a flame or glowing embers inside the fireplace, here everything depends on the flight of your imagination.
# 5: Wall Mounting
One of the most time-consuming ways to disguise radiators and heating pipes is implemented during the construction phase or overhaul. This method assumes the placement of pipes and radiators is not on the wall, but inside it. Of course, this will inevitably lead to a decrease in the usable area of the room and an increase in heat loss, but there is no need to puzzle over how to decorate radiators and heating pipes.
You can go even further and completely abandon the radiators and pipes, replacing them with heated floors. If the heating efficiency is insufficient, then it is possible to supplement the heating system with invisible convectors mounted in furniture, window sills, basement, floor, etc.
# 6: Fixing batteries in the bathroom and kitchen
In the bathroom it is best to hide radiators in any pieces of furniture. It is best suited for this wall cabinets. If for some reason you can not hide the radiator in the cabinet, it is better not to resort to the manufacture of hinged boxes. They will look awkward on the wall. In this case, it is better to just paint the radiator to match the walls.
As for placing the radiator on the floor, you can limit the installation of the screen. MDF and plastic are suitable for making the screen, it can also be glass and chrome-plated metal - these materials are well combined with sterile cleanliness and brilliance of ceramic tiles.
In the kitchen, radiators are most often masked under a table-top. This technique allows not only to hide the radiator, but also significantly increase the working surface. If we are talking about a small apartment, then this technique can be considered a significant bonus. It is hard to argue here which aspect is more important - functional or aesthetic.
There is another option to install a folding table. In this case, the color of the tabletop and the color of the walls should be the same. The disadvantage of this design is the inability to make the design of the tabletop perforated. The presence of a gap between the worktop and the floor, as well as between the worktop and window sill will help to ensure normal convection.
Conclusions and useful video on the topic
The video will introduce interesting options for decorating heating devices, the manufacture of which can be handled personally:
When performing masking by any of the proposed methods, you should not forget about the main functional task of the radiator - heating and heat distribution. Incorrectly selected material, installation and decoration scheme can increase heat loss several times.
Difficult choice between heating efficiency and beauty
Close the battery heating system
The number of sections of the battery takes into account the area of the room. The rules of installation of the radiator strictly regulate the distance to the floor, wall and window sill. Compliance with these rules is necessary for normal room temperature in winter. Heated air should rise freely. In its place comes cold. Radiation from the heated metal goes to the side.
If you completely close the battery, you get a big gas saving. The water returns to the boiler hot and it can be brought to the desired temperature with minimal heating. The room remains cold because the path to heat flow is closed. The interior has a beautiful view. Heating does not perform its function, the room is cold.
For normal space heating, it is necessary to ensure maximum heat radiation conditions.
- The gap between the wall and the radiator to allow air to rise upwards.
- The distance from the floor to the battery is 3 times more than to the wall. Cold air should freely go to the place of the risen, heated.
- The convection stream of hot air rises freely. The distance to the window sill is more than 10 cm.
- The front of the radiator should be as open as possible to infrared radiation coming from the front of the sections.
To close the battery is to lose heat. We must find the best option, beautiful decor and minimal loss.
Boxes, grilles and screens on radiators
Close the battery heating system
The box completely blocks all flows and heating is ineffective. An exception is the production version in accordance with the requirements:
- the box has no bottom bar and hangs from the floor,
- in the upper part there are openings for air outlet,
- The hole area on the front panel is larger than the remaining material body.
This box is easy to make with your own hands with the ability to work with metal. You can make the construction of drywall, taking fire-resistant sheets and treating them with a primer. Details are made according to the size of the cast-iron radiator:
- 2 side racks, at the same time the legs on which the box rests, and the rest of the parts are hung,
- Front Panel,
- top panel.
Mounted screens sold in the store. Они сделаны из металла и незначительно уменьшают обогрев. Радиатор отопления закрыт и имеет эстетичный вид.
При расположении батареи в нише стены удобно делать своими руками решетки. Самый простой вариант – узкие деревянные рейки. Они устанавливаются на большом расстоянии друг от друга. The area of infrared radiation decreases slightly. Convection flow circulates freely. The room is warm and the radiator is beautifully camouflaged.
A frosted glass screen with a beautiful pattern looks stylish. It can imitate a fireplace and simply decorate the room with its pattern. The area of infrared radiation is completely closed and half the heat flux is lost.
Attention! Do not use plastic to create the box and screen. When heated, it releases harmful substances and quickly collapses.
We close the batteries of the heating system with decorative grids.
For apartment owners who have the opportunity not to save on repairs, designer radiators are sold in construction stores. They are made of pipes with high heat transfer beautifully interwoven under the basket or waves. The surface of the heater, chrome or painted in the selected color. The radiation area is completely open. The room has a beautiful bright decor from a heating radiator.
Among the design options and a bench with pipes under the seat, girdling legs. Polished metal looks great in a modern interior. Bench under the window has practical application.
Decoupage - do it yourself best radiator conversion
Decorative grilles for radiators
Creating a decoupage battery with your own hands is not only a budget option for decorating heating systems. You can fantasize and create any compositions and drawings. The radiation area does not change. Air convection remains the same. The room is warm and beautiful at the same time without extra heating costs.
Decoupage is created from any materials that stand up to the heating temperature of the cast-iron radiator and bimetallic battery plates. For those who can not draw vinyl stickers are available. Decoupage is obtained beautiful, but with strong heating is harmful.
I use colored fabric. I choose natural material from cotton and flax. I cut flowers on it and stick it on the surface of the radiator. Pipes can turn into branches. On them, I screw the leaves and plant the butterflies. Everyone can invent and create their own decoupage with the help of paints, fabrics, hot melt and other items at hand.
Increases radiator efficiency. Installing a reflector on a wall.
Decorative battery grids
Closing the battery, you need to take care of increasing the heat flow in the room. The first is the location on the wall of a special shielding insulating material. The simplest and cheapest consists of a sheet of foam rubber coated on one side with foil.
Foam, glued to the wall, is a good heat insulator. He does not let the cold through to the battery. A shiny foil reflects the heat and partially returns it to the radiator, the rest of the air flow brings up. The heater sections become even hotter.
If you decide to close the battery with a metal screen, paint it on the back side black. From attracts heat and absorbs it. The efficiency of heating systems will increase.
1. Decorative screen / HDF box
This option - one of the most popular because of the average price and beautiful appearance.
What is the difference from the box box? The screen is designed for the battery, located in a niche or under the window sill (pictured above), therefore, closes only the front part of it. The box also completely covers the radiator on the wall from all sides.
The screen, like the box panel, is made of perforated HDF sheet (HDF 3 mm thick), but the box profiles are made of MDF. Both materials are strong enough, durable and non-toxic when heated.
- Due to the original perforation HDF screens / boxes look beautiful and fit into any interiors, especially in classic.
- Resistance to heat (the design does not crack like natural wood, and does not turn yellow like plastic).
- Easy to assemble and install without the help of experts.
- The finished HDF screens / boxes can be white or imitate wood (wenge, beech, oak), and custom-made screens can be painted in any color, laminated, or veneered with natural wood. True, the complexity of the design always affects the price of the screen.
- MDF and HDF do not tolerate prolonged contact with water. If the battery leaks or the pipe breaks, the box / screen elements may swell. Therefore, any emergency situations need to be addressed immediately.
- Perforated panels, despite their subtlety, are quite durable due to the high density of fiberboard. However, they must be protected from impacts and sharp objects.
- The perforation sections in the factory screens are not colored, and therefore visible.
Price: from 1500 rubles for the finished model and from 2300 rubles - for an individual order.
Tips for choosing:
- The size of the radiator niche should correspond to the size of the inside of the screen.
- Screens and boxes for the battery can be either finished (assembled as a designer), or made according to individual dimensions and design (you can choose a perforation pattern).
Here is a small selection of photos of closed batteries.
Closed battery in the interior of a small kitchen in Khrushchev
Screen for the battery under the window-bar counter
2. Drywall Box
How to close the battery with drywall? With this material you can sheathe a radiator box or create a niche for it in the false wall.
- Environmental friendliness
- Can be used in wet areas.
- Material is available,
- False-wall can close the pipe, expand the window sill,
- You can close the battery with a drywall can do it yourself without special skills for a few hours of work,
- The configuration of the box and the false walls can be thought out on your own, if you wish, you can equip it with shelves and niches, and you can also close the pipes connected to the battery. Next, you can view a photo of a closed battery in a plasterboard false wall with an enlarged window sill-bench and a built-in niche for books.
- The main disadvantage of the drywall box is that this material is afraid of shocks and leaks. If something goes wrong, you will have to completely change the battery lining along with the trim.
- A false wall for plasterboard for a battery and pipes “eats” the space, as it is moved 30-35 mm forward from the extreme point of the radiator.
- As a rule, the box from the Civil Code should be done at the repair stage, because its decoration should coincide with the wall decoration.
In the following photos you can see the finished kitchen interior with a closed battery and a box of plasterboard in the process of repair.
Design and manufacturing tips:
- Before closing the radiator with a drywall box, be sure to tidy it up: blow it out, rinse it (this is done at the end of the heating season) and paint it. In the future, it will be difficult or even impossible to do this without dismantling the box.
- The box can be installed in the floor or "hang" on the wall.
- When designing the box, please note that the sill visor should protrude not less than 30 mm above the facade of the box. If necessary, the old window sill should be replaced with a wider one.
Visual instruction on how to close the battery and pipe with a false-wall plasterboard is presented in the video below.
But the video lesson on how to close the radiator box.
In the kitchen, a battery along with a window sill can be embedded in a set or bar counter, and in the living room, bedroom and hallway - in a bench, console or shelving unit.
This slider presents a selection of photos of closed radiators under the bench.
- The main condition: in the window sill / cover above the battery, it is necessary to provide enough holes for air circulation, and equip the facade (if any) covering the battery with a grille (see photo below). Otherwise there is a risk of windows fogging and cold in the room.
Sometimes in order to hide the heating battery, it is enough to rearrange the furniture and close the device, say, a sofa, an armchair or a console. In order not to disturb the air circulation, it is better to put a piece of furniture away from the battery (at least 10 cm); it is also desirable that it be on its feet - so convective flows will not be blocked.
4. Cloth curtain
This way of masking is good for rental housing or when you need to solve the problem of ugly batteries with minimal costs. The advantages of the curtain are obvious: a piece of fabric is inexpensive, and the choice of colors is very large (you can change the "screens" according to your mood), while the battery is always available for repair and inspection.
5. Natural wood screen
- Beautiful and expensive appearance even in the simplest version,
- Environmental friendliness
- Good heat dissipation and the ability to accumulate heat.
- A tree is capricious - a poorly prepared tree can swell from a leak or warp from heat,
- The wooden screen requires special care,
- High price.
Prices: from 3000 rubles for the simplest models and from 10 thousand rubles for premium wooden screens.
Here are some photos of beautifully closed batteries.
6. glass screen
The glass screen is an excellent decoration solution, but from a thermal point of view it is very controversial.
- Design for every taste - the glass panel can be transparent and colored, matte and shiny, with or without sandblast pattern, with facet or polished edges,
- Glass may look neutral or very bright,
- Glass visually looks easy and adds airiness to the interior,
- Ease of care,
- Heat resistance
- Moisture resistance
- Absolute environmental friendliness.
- More suitable for modern, not classical interiors,
- "Eats" up to 40-50% of heat (infrared radiation),
- High price,
- There may be fingerprints on the glass,
- The panel does not close the ends of the battery,
- Installation of the screen often requires the assistance of a specialist.
- The screen for the battery should be made of tempered glass only. Only in this way it will be absolutely safe and impact resistant.
- The glass screen is good to use in rooms with excessive heat.
7. Metal box
- Practically do not interfere with heat exchange,
- Low price
- Easy care
- Absolute moisture and heat resistance.
- "Office" appearance that does not fit into every interior.
Tips for choosing:
- A metal screen for a battery can look very nice if ordered to make it at a company specializing in laser metal cutting or forging.
8. Rattan box or screen
Most often under the rattan cloth imply a grid of artificial rattan, woven from fibers based on cellulose reinforced with nylon thread. Artificial rattan is very similar to natural, but unlike it is more practical and should be painted in any color. Natural rattan screens have natural beauty and durability, but they are 2 times more expensive, and it is much more difficult to find them on sale.
The advantages of the rattan screen:
- Environmental friendliness
- Beautiful view,
- Good heat dissipation.
- Weaving artificial rattan is quite dense, which can affect the heat transfer,
- The screen must be protected from water.
Prices: from 1,700 rubles (artificial rattan screen).
Rattan canvas (both artificial and natural) can be used to make a battery screen with your own hands. To do this, assemble the corners of the box with the frame, attach the net from the inside of the frame, then install the box on the radiator with the help of brackets.
9. Hanging metal screen
The metal construction consists of a cover and a screen and is hung on top of the battery without fixing.
- Easy installation
- Easy disassembly that facilitates radiator maintenance,
- Profitable price,
- Does not reduce battery performance.
- The ends of the battery remain visible,
- Almost always suspended screens are lattices without any decorative effect.
- Must be quality enamel, not scratching,
- Must hold tight and easy to remove
- Screen metal should not corrode.
10. Curtains to the floor
Radiator masking with curtains is a great idea, approved by both heat engineers and decorators. The only problem is that hiding the battery under the window behind the curtain, without obscuring the room, will not work. Is that hang very light tulle as in this photo.
Battery behind the curtains in the bedroom
Especially well hidden behind the curtains are vertical radiators. If you are decorating an interior from scratch, consider replacing a standard battery with such a model.
Heating efficiency and beauty: what to choose
The battery is not an interior decoration. In most cases, heaters need to be camouflaged.
With the current state of the building and finishing market there are no obstacles: choose, buy, install any “decorations”. But the owners strongly believe that any obstacle in the path of heat from the battery will greatly lower the temperature in the room, cause cold feet and increased bills in the communal “fats.”
Heat engineers reassure: if the decorative elements are properly installed at the heat source, the heating level can even be increased!
According to interior designers, the finishing of batteries is based on the following factors:
- the scenery can hide the age or defects of the heating system,
- "Make friends" plumbing detail with the most elegant interior,
- will save old, small (and four-legged) inhabitants of the house from burns,
- protect the heating element from undesirable effects.
Nuance: awkward attempts at self-decorating batteries by the owners can lead to a worsening of the situation: the air circulation is disturbed, aesthetic flaws are sticking out. Refer to the professionals. And for starters, look at the photo, which is how the interior engineers close the batteries.
How to close the heating device and not to reduce heat transfer
Solving this problem will have to remember the school course of physics. The main thing that makes the batteries in our homes - transfer the temperature from the coolant into the atmosphere of the room. This happens by convection and heat radiation.
The convection method involves heating the air at the time it passes near a hot battery. To make the air go better, the design provides special guide ribs, but they will not solve the problem alone. The main thing in this process is free flow and air flow.
We return to the textbook: when the temperature changes, the air goes up and down. This means that caps and bottoms are undesirable above and below the radiator. If, from the point of view of design, a roof is not enough, it should be done with the maximum number of holes. It is better if they occupy more than half of the surface area.
We fall to the floor. It also requires a sufficient tunnel for the passage of air.
The distance from the floor to the beginning of the decorative screen is at least ten centimeters. These are recommendations, but not SNIPs. Therefore, you can not leave a lumen, but to increase the number of holes on a vertical surface.
Bonus for owners of housing under construction or overhauled: provide a couple of extra sections when installing the system and no decorations will harm the comfortable temperature.
We have learned to preserve heat transfer, we will try to increase it now. Two methods are used, both effective and elementary.
- Plain construction foil attached to the wall behind the radiator will reduce heat loss by a factor of five. Special foamed insulator with foil layer - at twenty!
- The color of the invisible side of the screen in the dark (ideally black) will become the accumulator of heat - it will first absorb and then give the necessary “degrees with plus” to the room.
How to close the battery and do not interfere with maintenance
Careful planning and solid materials do not guarantee the eternal life of the heating system. In the role of the coolant serves technical water. And if, even in a kettle, where do we pour filtered water over time, a precipitate forms, what can we expect from the inside of the radiator? For this reason, pipes and batteries are washed. Even at the stage of thinking about future battery design, provide easy access to system nodes.
Another reason to violate the integrity of the screen may be the failure of the radiator itself. Without scaring the list of probable malfunctions, let's say that timely thoughtful access to the battery will remove the burden of the problem from you, shifting it to a professional plumber.
The decorative screen should be unscrewed, removed or removed, if necessary. The owner should set such a task for the interior designer. Professionals usually find a compromise between beauty and utility.
Stand alone option with a drywall screen. Experts do not advocate for this material in this context. And it is recommended to at least equip the screen with a light plastic door at the location of the system nodes.
Decor for radiators
Before you go through the best options than to close the radiators, consider the alternative proposals submitted by the designers:
- Use curtains. An ordinary cotton fabric curtain will close the radiator perfectly. But this method can only be applied if the battery is in a niche. Blinds can be a great alternative to the blind.
- Painting. The radiator can be a real highlight of the interior. Of course, the painting method can be applied only for modern aluminum products. Old cast iron, even in painted form, will stand out strongly against the general background. Можно оформить радиаторы в одной гамме, соответствующей общему тону дизайна. Отлично смотрятся нанесенные рисунки. Если вы не обладаете художественным талантом – не беда. Вы всегда можете использовать трафареты.
- Декупаж. This method does not require you to make serious investments. You only need PVA glue plus beautiful napkins. Cutting the original elements of the selected material, paste over the surface of the radiator. From above on a special heat-resistant varnish is applied in several layers.
If decorating the radiators is not possible, then consider how to close the radiators. Photos posted in the article will allow you to familiarize yourself with some of the options offered by experts.
Thinking over how to close the radiators, it is necessary to take into account a few points:
- The air flow must be free to circulate. This will ensure uniform heating of the room and will protect against fogging of windows.
- All adjustment parts must remain accessible for sudden repairs. To do this, you can create a removable design or provide windows in the places of threaded connections.
This is the easiest method. When planning how to close the radiator in the room, you can experiment with the mounted screen or use a regular grille. Such designs are most often made of metal.
This battery masking tool has several advantages:
- The hinged screen or grille does not disturb the heat transfer at all. Air currents can circulate freely.
- The design is easy to install. The screen just needs to be hung on the battery.
- The grates are perfectly safe, because their corners are usually rounded.
But, unfortunately, the hinged screen is not without drawbacks. The most important disadvantage of this disguise is the lack of aesthetics. In other words, the appearance of the screen is far from the concept of "beauty." To correct the situation, you can paint and paint the structure.
This is a great solution for those owners who are interested in how beautifully close the radiators. Fireproof thick glass will be the original option for a modern interior. Such a screen is often decorated with stained glass patterns or photo printing.
It is completely easy to install the structure. It is fixed with special screw holders, providing elastic pads to protect the glass surface. To fix the screen, it is enough to make only a couple of holes in the wall.
Glass screens can be purchased at design workshops. But a minus of such a disguise is the high cost of the material.
How to close the battery heating? Wooden frames look great. They can be a harmonious addition to any interior. Especially organically they will fit into the room, furnished with wooden furniture. The ideal solution would be the frame, in texture, shape and color corresponding to the headset. In this case, it will be one with all the furniture.
Disguising a battery of wood has a significant advantage. Such a frame, depending on the design, can be an excellent shelving, shelf, table, stand for various utensils. For small sizes, it can be equipped with an extra seat, such as a bench. In addition, by connecting all your imagination, you can create a completely unique frame for the radiator.
However, wooden structures are not without cons. Exposure to high temperatures may adversely affect the shape of the frame. The tree is able to deform.
Built in furniture
This is a very original solution. Heating batteries can be camouflaged with furniture. It will look great dresser or small closet. Such furniture is often made to order. But if you own at least the initial skills of working with wood, then it is easy to perform such a construction yourself.
You can use any other material. This may be drywall, MDF, laminate, chipboard or plywood.
Many owners are happy to use plastic for the manufacture of the frame. This is a simple cheap material that can perfectly fit into the interior. But when planning the construction of plastic, it is necessary to consider the next material minus. When heated, some species are able to release into the air rather toxic fumes.
How to close the radiators and plasterboard pipes
But the most popular coating remains drywall. Installation of such material is simple and easy. Drywall is affordable and does not cause any problems with the acquisition. But at the same time, it opens up broad opportunities for the implementation of the most courageous design decisions.
So, we will consider how to close the heating battery with drywall. Designers offer some great ideas:
- The continuation of the window sill or false wall. But remember that for the free circulation of air it is necessary to provide several small windows. Choosing for such purposes drywall, be sure to choose a heat-resistant material. It should be noted that most varieties perfectly withstand sufficiently high temperature indices. The construction is completely easy. Initially, you must install metal guides. They also fix drywall itself. Be sure to provide windows, which are inserted into the original lattice.
- Creating a fireplace. From such a piece of interior will greatly benefit the appearance of the room. A raised fireplace will fill the room with an extraordinary homely atmosphere and give it comfort. In this case, the design can be performed in any style.
When you are faced with the urgent question of how to deal with standard radiators and disguise boring batteries, be sure to analyze several solutions. Consider what options designers offer. And only then choose the way you like. Perhaps your batteries will greatly benefit from the original painting? Or, having issued a framework from gypsum cardboard, you will be able to create a remarkable shelf for lovely knickknacks.
How to decorate heating radiators: designer tips
The problem of how to hide the heating radiator in the apartment and the pipe supplying the coolant can be considered in two aspects. The first is on the eve of a major overhaul, when there is a possibility (and a necessity) of replacing the battery. In this case, you can choose and install designer batteries and then the question will disappear by itself, and the heating efficiency will not decrease (more on this below). For example, if we are talking about a room in a classic Victorian style, then we cannot do without cast iron batteries, powerful, massive, on a stand, with casting into sections - such radiators will become a stylish part of the overall interior.
Combining battery box and shelves in a single design
Beautiful decorative box
Hinged wooden screen for a heating radiator in a modern interior
Another thing - when the repair does not involve replacing plumbing, in this case there are several options, how and what to close the battery.
The easiest option is to hide the battery - it's just to paint it to match the wall, near which the radiator is fixed. Only need to buy a special paint for painting batteries. This is an option when radiators fit the overall style of the room.
Cast-iron radiators look great in the interior of the Venetian style
Paint a stylish radiator in red
The screen for the battery - the most affordable way to hide the radiator, although at the same time - not the most aesthetic. There is no need to mount them specifically, they can be installed just by hanging it on the heater. True, closing the radiator itself, they do not solve the problem with the supply pipes. The hinged panel, allowing you to hide the radiator itself, very slightly reduce the level of convection and heat transfer, plus - for the most part they are metal (although if they are hooked, they are not very pleasant to ring).
Mounted screens are cheap and easy to install.
Such screens are used to hide a radiator that is built into a niche. They are quite popular, because they have a lot of options - lattice (the simplest), with a pattern (geometric or vegetable), with carvings, for the Baroque style are perfect pieces with different forging.
Tip! If the battery is installed in a niche, then by setting a wide window sill, you can organize a workplace near the window.
If the battery is in a niche, it can be closed flat screen
Painting the radiator box to the color of the wall
Allows you to fully decorate the entire radiator of heating, while such a screen on the battery with your own hands just make of wood, the diagram is shown in Fig. one.
Figure 1. Screen assembly scheme - box
At the same time, the box can not just hide an unsightly aesthetic radiator, but also act as an additional piece of furniture, for example, stands for vases, shelves, and can become part of a rack or console. Decorative wooden box can be made so that it is fully consistent with the style and decor of the room. Its main disadvantage is the closed top, which significantly reduces the efficiency of convection. In addition, the tree dries up when the temperature drops. In this regard, screens (boxes) of MDF, which are cheaper and more durable, look preferable.
A decorative box made of wood - perhaps the most aesthetic solution
Wooden box in the interior of a modern style
Tip! If the radiator is far enough away from the wall, then by combining the window sill and the box, you can make a bench for romantic gatherings by the window.
Radiator box with a bench for gatherings
Cheap, but definitely not for residential premises, they will hide the battery / pipe, but when heated they can release dangerous connections to a person, especially if the panel (grate) is made of cheap plastic by a gray manufacturer.
Plastic grids to hide the battery
Tip! Plastic screens are suitable for non-residential premises, taking into account the resistance to high humidity - for bathrooms.
A glass panel, as a rule, is a rectangular sheet made of translucent thick glass, which is attached to the wall with steel holders. Giving the opportunity to decorate the heating device in front, it, leaving open the space below and above, does not prevent free air convection. A popular solution is a glass panel with printed photo printing.
Fireplace glass screen
Glass screen with a mirror surface in the bathroom
How to hide the pipe and radiators: heating tips
The main task of a heating radiator is to heat a room, which it performs by a combination of two methods. The first is infrared radiation, in which heat is transmitted directly to objects that are located in the room. It is this thermal energy that we feel when we bring our hands close to the battery. The second method is convection, due to the heating of the air, which, rising up, displaces the cold, thus organizing air circulation in the room, which leads to a more or less uniform distribution of temperature.
If it is nice to hide the batteries in the house, it will not affect the efficiency of the heaters.
Great combination of radiator screen and interior style
Therefore, you should immediately decide on the main thing - whatever method to hide the pipes and radiators in the apartment was not chosen, any decor of the battery will definitely lead to a loss of heater power. A simple example - installing a glass screen almost completely blocks infrared radiation. And the more a pad (screen) on the battery will have a solid (without holes) area, the “deeper” the battery is hidden - the more significant the losses will be. Solid (deaf, without openings) boxes above the radiator are especially unacceptable, because they block warm air that rises up. The photo below shows a particularly unfortunate design, designed to decorate the battery.
Battery failure example
On the one hand, it still does not fulfill its role to the end - the supply pipe is clearly visible. On the other hand, there are very small holes, which significantly reduce the movement (convection) of warm air, and the continuous screen (even if metallic) blocks thermal radiation. That is why, from the point of view of heat engineering, the ideal choice is a panel made as a large-mesh grid.
In fig. 2 shows in section a practically optimal grille model for a heating radiator.
Fig. 2. Installation scheme of the grille (panel) on the radiator.
Infrared (also direct thermal) radiation, indicated by the red arrows (3), passes through the grid (D) with minimal losses. It is worth paying attention to the thermal insulation screen (A), which reflects the heat (part of the infrared radiation) and, instead of heating the walls aimlessly, returns it back to the room.
Cold air (indicated by the blue arrow 1), coming from below, heats up and rises. To prevent the heated air from stagnating under the window sill, forming a thermal cushion that blocks convection, install a visor (B) that directs the air flow out. In the upper part, it is also worthwhile to install an injector (two metal plates), which allows the heated air to be removed from the front side of the radiator. Especially effectively it manifests itself at high temperatures, due to the narrowing at the top, the thrust increases significantly and the volume of exhaust air increases significantly. Despite the installed grille, the cumulative energy efficiency of such a design will be significantly higher than with a simple installation of the battery near the wall.
A long box allows you to hide not only the battery, but also pipes
Beautiful box for the radiator can be an element of decor
Battery with a bench is perfect for the living room
Battery decor: plumbing tips
The second, no less important point - the availability of the radiator and supply pipes. It is no secret that the battery is one of the potential sources of problems in the apartment. Any radiator can give a leak - there are many reasons for this, from water hammer to poor quality material. In addition, given the low quality of the coolant (water), it may be necessary to remove the battery in order to wash it - otherwise, the number of actively heating sections will constantly decrease. So from the plumbing point of view, the best pad (panel) on the battery should provide free access to the radiator - either not to have a permanent attachment, or to be attached.
Battery decor should provide easy access to it.
Tip! At the very least, it is necessary to put a “revision” (plastic door) that will give access to the pipe supply to the radiator - as experience shows, this is the weakest point in the whole system.
How to close the battery - consider the options on the video:
Features and requirements
Decorating heating radiators is not such an easy task as it may seem at first glance. It is necessary not only to hide an unsightly radiator, but also to maintain a comfortable temperature in the room. It is obvious that closed batteries provide at times less heat, and access to them becomes difficult.
In order to properly close the batteries and not reduce the heat exchange (or at least reduce slightly), it is necessary to understand how the radiators heat the room, on what basis they work. And choose the decor so that it represents the minimum interference with the battery performance of its functions.
For this, removable or side screens that do not have solid fasteners are well suited. This is necessary so that the radiator can be accessed at any time. Such a need may arise unexpectedly, and if the battery is mounted in a wall, a drywall box or closed with a screen “tightly” attached to the wall, the design will have to be broken. Remove it without damage will not work.
Another important criterion when choosing a decor is how much it affects the heat transfer. The heating of the room occurs due to the release of infrared radiation (it heats objects) and convection (it heats the air directly).
Solid screens, devoid of gaps from the bottom and top, will be a serious obstacle for the first and second. The best option would be perforated, carved or louvered screens that do not cover the battery from either the top or bottom. Either closing slightly.
In order for the air to warm up evenly, it must be able to freely enter from the bottom of the battery, pass through it and exit from the top already warm. A tightly “sealed” radiator does not give him that opportunity, and therefore the temperature decreases. As for infrared radiation - it simply can not pass through a solid, impenetrable screen, which provides almost one hundred percent thermal insulation of the battery.
Recently it can be seen that batteries are often covered with glass photo printing screens. Of course, this solution has high decorative properties, however, the temperature in the room, equipped with such decor, drops significantly.
The best solution for any interior will be a wooden perforated or carved screen. The main thing is to have as little as possible a solid surface and as many holes as possible, allowing air to circulate freely. Кроме того, что дерево гармонично вписывается практически в любой стиль интерьера, нужно выделить еще такое его свойство, как экологичность. При нагревании оно не будет выделять никаких вредных веществ.On the contrary, under the influence of heat, wood emits essential oils, which have a positive effect on human health (of course, we are talking about natural wood).
To hide old radiators, it is not at all necessary to use expensive materials and structures. There are many budget ways to close unsightly radiators, while maintaining high heat transfer rates and easy access to the system.
These methods include:
- Coloring. Even old, Soviet battery samples can be turned into a stylish interior element by painting them to match the walls or, alternatively, in a contrasting color. The costs are minimal and the benefits are obvious: the possibility of quick access to the radiator remains, convection is not difficult, the room temperature remains at a comfortable temperature. Such radiators will fit into any interior, from the modern loft to the classics, the main thing is to choose the right color.
- Textile. The simplest thing is to close the batteries with curtains that go down to the floor. The main thing is to make sure that there is no possibility of fabric ignition from too hot batteries. Or - if the option with curtains is not quite acceptable - you can stretch a fabric on the wooden frame that is in harmony in color with all the other textiles in the room, and close the radiators with this screen. The air passes through the fabric easily, it does not represent any obstacle to this, and hence the heat transfer will not decrease.
- Inexpensive and the use of materials such as plastic, MDF panels, drywall. However, they have a significant drawback - lowering the heat in the room. Yes, and in terms of environmental friendliness, these materials leave much to be desired. The same plastic, for example, is better to use in the bathroom to close the tap, in the kitchen, that is, in rooms with high humidity, where the same wood, the same metal will quickly become unusable due to external factors. A box of MDF panels or drywall has good thermal insulation properties, which in this case is absolutely not necessary. Yes, and get to the system will be difficult.
Of course, low cost is a significant material advantage, and for many it is decisive. However, one should not forget that its main function is to ensure not only the aesthetic appeal of the heating system, but also heat in the apartment. Therefore, rely solely on the price still not worth it.
Wooden structures have a good combination of availability, aesthetics, environmental friendliness and the ability to transmit heat. A simple grille of narrow slats, which are sold in any hardware store, can effectively hide radiators and will not interfere with their normal operation. In addition, this solution will look organic in any interior. No wonder the tree since ancient times was used in the design of houses. His peculiar natural aesthetics, warmth, comfort, which it brings into the house, are valued and in demand until now.
If you choose a metal sheet - copper or aluminum - as the background for a carved wooden panel, this solution will be of double benefit. Wood will take on a decorative function, and thanks to the metal, the temperature in the room will not only not decrease due to the closed battery, but may even increase.
Currently, there are many ways to hide old cast iron batteries under the window. Screens of a wide variety of materials, niches, painting, wall mounting - options for every taste. But if you decorate heating radiators in the living room, bedroom or nursery, it’s quite simple - just choose a solution that will be in harmony with the general style of the interior - in rooms with characteristic conditions (for example, in the kitchen, bathroom) - it is more difficult to do.
For these rooms, you need to choose a material that will withstand high humidity., and temperature fluctuations, and the possible effects of steam, chemicals. And with all this will be non-toxic. The best option would be to paint the radiators to match the walls or in contrast with it. This way to decorate pipes - the most common in bathrooms.
As for the other rooms of the house, everything depends exclusively on the imagination and budget of the owners. But the basic requirements for screens for radiators must be met in any case. After all, their main task is to hide the unsightly elements of heating without sacrificing heat transfer. Therefore, any screen should provide free air circulation and infrared radiation. At the very least, create minor obstacles.
Now popular glass screens, of course, have a high decorative effect.look great in the interior, but they significantly reduce heat transfer, and therefore contribute to lowering the temperature in the room. This decor can be used if the heating is carried out in any other way, for example, with the help of warm floors.
Quite often, such a solution can be found - the radiators are mounted inside the wall, and a small window (or two), closed by a grill, is left for the passage of heat. Not only that in this case the temperature in the room drops significantly, so also access to the system becomes almost impossible - for this you have to break the wall in the truest sense of the word.
The same applies to the boxes of drywall, plywood, MDF, chipboard and other similar materials. Reduced heat transfer, difficult access to the system against decoration. Everyone makes a choice for himself.
Gaining popularity now screens made of metal - copper or aluminum. Such models will not only not be lowered, but may also increase the temperature in the room. Heating up from the radiator, such screens themselves perform the role of a battery, and additionally heat the room.
If the room is covered with wallpaper - heating elements can be decorated with remnants. Cutting them into strips and sticking to the radiators (of course, heat-resistant glue), you can get a great decorative element at minimal cost that harmoniously fits into the interior.
In the nursery in general, you can give free rein to the imagination, and you can attract the inhabitants of the room to the process. Children will gladly take up the decoration of their own home and tell themselves how they would like to decorate the batteries. Favorite cartoons, fairy tales, own imagination, in which a room is not a room at all, but a ship, tank or racing car. All this can be used in the decoration of radiators.
In order to decorate old heating radiators, it is not necessary to spend a large amount of money, effort and time. You can just paint them. Freshly painted batteries will look good in a modern interior, such as, for example, a loft, and in a classic, and in a soft-pastel room. The main thing - to choose the right color.
The same loft is an industrial style, and its color range is appropriate. The most commonly used black or white color. One of them can be used to paint the batteries. Elements painted in a contrasting color — black on white or white on a black background — will look particularly impressive.
For more prosaic, quiet interiors, this is hardly suitable - after all, he still emphasizes the heating system, allocates it, and not hides it. In an industrial loft, this is what you need. But, for example, in the classic interior it will be inappropriate. Here it is better to paint the batteries to match the walls so that they merge with the background.
Heating radiators can be decorated with painting. Such elements will look good in the nursery, emphasize the dynamic, active, unusual atmosphere inherent in this room.
In the bathroom you can clean the pipes in a plastic box. In this room, it will be irrational to use wood or metal - materials will quickly become unusable, and the design will have to be changed. And plastic can easily endure the increased humidity of this room. However, plastic is not suitable for the kitchen, it is better to give preference to traditional materials.
The decor of the heating system involves not only masking its elements, but also the possibility of easy and quick access to any of its nodes. This is one of the most important selection criteria that should be followed when choosing the design of radiators.
Another important factor is heat transfer. But here you can resort in a little trick. Foil foamed heat insulator hung on the wall behind the battery will reduce heat loss by a factor of twenty.
But it should be precisely attached to the wall, and not just put the battery. At the same time, a distance of at least two to three centimeters must remain between it and the piece of insulator.
It is not advisable to close the elements of the heating system with boxes, hide them in niches or mount them to the walls. If another option is not possible - it is necessary to provide the box with a door in order to ensure the fastest and easiest access to the system at any time.
11. Plastic panel
- Installation in 10 minutes without a specialist
- Easy disassembly,
- The ability to independently change the size of the panel
- Suitable for kitchens, bathrooms and toilets, that is, rooms with high humidity,
- Affordable price.
- It looks simple, no frills,
- Over time, plastic may turn yellow,
- From heating, poor-quality plastic can release toxic substances, such as formaldehyde.
Prices: from 300 rubles.
Tips for choosing:
- Plastic screens for batteries are available in basic colors: white, gray, brown, beige. If desired, the screen can be painted in the desired color with alkyd spray paint on plastic,
- When choosing a plastic screen for a battery, make sure it is heat and non-toxic.
How to close the batteries correctly - technical rules and tips
Before you close the heating battery, you need to consider a few technical details:
- Keep in mind that the heat transfer of a closed radiator is reduced in any case, no matter what method of masking you choose. The main thing is that the change was not significant. Ideally, the decrease in air temperature in the room should be about 1-1.5 degrees.
- Before you close the battery, put it in order: blow it out, rinse it (this is done at the end of the heating season) and paint it.
- Keep in mind that the denser the lattice weaving, the better it masks the radiator, but the worse it conducts heat. Therefore, when choosing a screen for a battery, try to look for a middle ground or rely on heat saving.
- To minimize heat loss, the screen can be put on the legs, and in the center cut the groove.
- When closing the battery, it is very important not to block convective air flows, otherwise the room will blow, and the windows will start to fog up, which will eventually lead to the appearance of mold on the walls. Ideally, the sill visor should protrude no more than 30 mm above the batteries, the top and bottom of the battery should be as open as possible.
- Between the battery and the screen there should be a distance of at least 35-50 mm. From the radiator to the floor and to the window sill there should be a gap of about 60-70 mm.
- To solve emergency situations, it is necessary to provide free access to the radiator. For example, the box lattice can be removable, folding (see photo), opening on hinges or sliding on profiles.
At a minimum, for trouble-free maintenance, good availability should remain: pipe connections, valves, thermal head and threaded connections.
- Increase heat transfer by 20-25% can be placed on the wall behind the radiator heat-reflecting screen, for example, fumisol. Often this is enough to fully compensate for the heat loss of a closed battery.