Excitement is an unconscious psychological state in which a person enters when various circumstances arise, most often associated with public speaking and universal attention from others. How to cope with anxiety in various life situations, you can read in the manuals on self-government with many famous psychologists. However, knowledge alone is not enough, since it also requires the ability to control one’s mental state.
The ability to control oneself is one of the most difficult tasks for each person, since it is quite difficult for most people to cope with various emotional states and, especially, to try to control them. Everyone’s excitement manifests itself in different ways, but most often a person begins to blush, a shiver appears in his hands and voice, a feeling of restraint and a desire to get rid of excessive attention to his own person. It should be noted that the cure for excitement has not yet been invented by humanity, and therefore everyone finds for himself the ways in which he can maintain composure and not show his emotional state to those around him.
There are several general recommendations, adhering to which you can reduce the impact of your emotional state to a minimum. So:
- Watch your breath. Here it will be very useful to master some yoga techniques that will allow you to perform a series of specific exercises for a minimum of time and achieve calm and even breathing. It is directly related to our mental state, and therefore through it you can pull yourself together and calm down.
- Self-hypnosis with the help of internal orders. Develop for yourself a few teams with a positive attitude, through which you can give the installation to certain actions. For more information on how to cope with anxiety with the help of self-hypnosis, can be found in many social psychology manuals, tips in which you should use.
- Physical activity. When excited, a person is unconsciously shackled, as a result of which his movements may be somewhat unnatural. Stand still not worth it. It is better to slowly walk (if possible) and try to concentrate on other things, not paying attention to the people around them. Just need to imagine that they are not. With proper training this can be learned.
A fairly common problem among students is that on the exam (and especially before it), knowledge completely disappears from the head due to strong excitement. This, in turn, leads to even greater psychological stress, since a person can subconsciously program himself to fail. How to cope with excitement on the exam or reduce its level to a minimum? In order to prevent this from happening, you should, first of all, give yourself a psychological mindset that you can calmly and steadily give the right answer to any exam question. In no case should you focus on failure.
Almost half of all people with anxiety begins to blush, and the realization of this even more aggravates the process. Redness of the cheeks is a natural reaction of the body, which occurs as a result of a rush of blood to the upper skin. Due to the fact that it is very noticeable, many people are concerned about the question of how not to blush with excitement and to preserve the natural complexion. The answer here also lies on the surface and directly depends on how much a person is able to control his emotional state.
Unfortunately, nobody has yet invented an effective universal recipe for excitement, therefore everyone decides how to cope with anxiety for himself. Some people prefer to relieve psychological stress with the help of alcohol, however, it is not recommended to do so, as this can turn into an addiction.
Thus, summing up the above, the main conclusion can be made: you should control your psycho-emotional state, using every opportunity, as well as gain experience in public speaking. After all, with due diligence, you will learn to control yourself in a variety of situations.
What causes excitement
- low self-esteem,
- lack of confidence in their professionalism
- weakness in the limbs, breath taking,
- inadequate public behavior (loss of self-control),
- severe stress and, as a result, prolonged depression,
- loss of appetite,
- full de-concentration, disorientation,
- negative result in solving a specific problem.
Exercises to combat anxiety
- When a person is agitated, his breathing gets lost, and his heart rhythm jumps up to heaven. Try to calm down. Take a few long breaths with your eyes closed. Try to perform manipulations slowly and confidently at one pace. Do not inflate the cheeks or hold your breath, the diaphragm should open fully.
- Need to move. Run the mill with your hands or wave them from side to side. Some public personalities massage their hands when they are worried before the performance. Similarly, when shaking the lower extremities (massage of the feet and calves).
Method number 1. Prepare for the event
- Often, the excitement takes people by surprise to people who are not well prepared for the upcoming event. If you soon have a solemn speech, a report or a speech, gather the necessary materials and literally jag them.
- Do a rehearsal in front of the mirror until you like yourself. Then gather friends or unfamiliar people (even better), speak in front of them and ask for an objective assessment.
- Think over your image in advance, namely makeup, hair, clothes, shoes. You must look 100% perfect. Do not forget to provide for incidents (torn tights, smeared mascara, bad writing pen, etc.).
- If you soon make a speech in front of a wide range of people, followed by giving answers, consider in advance possible questions that people will ask. Your answers should be short, but informative, and the speech - confident and professional.
Method number 2. Remember past victories
- In most cases, anxiety occurs due to low self-esteem and recall of defeats in the past. However, you need to go the other way.
- Take a piece of paper and write out all your strengths. Do not forget to mention your victories (defense of the diploma as “excellent”, independent surrender for rights, obtaining a prestigious position, etc.). Awareness of their own professionalism in a moment will save you from excitement.
- Analyze past situations. Surely you were worried too, but everything went well. So this time. Anxiety only confuses you, not giving focus on the main thing. Speak to yourself: "I will succeed!", "I am confident and strong in what I do!".
Method number 3. Increase self-esteem
- Unsure of themselves and their own forces, people are often worried for any reason. To get rid of emotional discomfort, you need to love yourself.
- Increase self-esteem in any way possible. Register in a gym, visit courses of personal growth, overcome bad habits.
- Enlist the support of loved ones who will objectively evaluate your behavior. With every increase in self-esteem, excitement will disappear.
Method number 4. Pause before the main speech.
- This method will help to cope with anxiety in cases where the arms and legs are trembling before the conversation (solemn speech, performance, etc.). Do not begin to speak immediately, wait 10-15 seconds.
- The specified period of time is necessary in order to "gather yourself together." If you immediately begin to speak, thoughts will be confused, disordered.
- A pause will help build a logical chain and partially allay the excitement. So you will not forget the speech for which you have been preparing for so long. Control your breathing, it should be smooth, without jumps.
Method number 5. Don't be afraid to make a mistake
- Often there are times when a person's hands begin to tremble for the most ridiculous reasons. At the subconscious level, all people, soon speakers, are afraid to make a mistake.
Prepare for the event thoroughly, learn psychological methods of dealing with anxiety. Play sports, believe in your own strength, increase self-esteem. Watch your breath, do not be afraid to make a mistake, remember past victories. Prepare a small thing that you can touch in your hands for the normalization of psycho-emotional background.
Excitement can be very destructive, and lead to a decrease in self-esteem, strange behavior in public, disorientation, nervous breakdowns and even depression. We are sure that such states do not like anyone. So how to eliminate the experience, if they have already made themselves felt?
- Clench fists. Motor activity is a great opportunity to forget about fear. No wonder that psychologists say that having met one-on-one with a stressful situation, it is best to change the situation. But if there is no such possibility, then it is worthwhile to follow the exercise of the American therapist Nicole Opris. Put your hands behind your back, clench your fists tightly and take a deep breath. Exhale slowly, gradually relaxing your palms.
- Allow yourself to cry. If no one sees you at this time. Panic is often the result of the suppression of feelings and emotions, which definitely need to be given a way out. Cry, and when you calm down, just feel relieved.
- Wash your face Excellent shock therapy. Can't handle the experience? Exit for a couple of minutes and wash your face with cold (perhaps even ice). It would not be superfluous to hold your hands under it a little. This will help to concentrate again, to recover and collect your thoughts, tidying up feelings.
- Simple auto-training. If you have an important event / performance / meeting, you should set yourself up in advance. Inhale deeply, and make three short and strong exhalations, then repeat to yourself simple phrases: “All is well”, “I am confident in my abilities”, “I am absolutely calm”. If this does not help, try saying the same thing, but with the voice of your favorite cartoon character.
- True or not? Excellent advice from psychologists: instead of endlessly scrolling in your mind the situation that concerns you, take a piece of paper and write what's bothering you. But using only two or three words for this.
And after carefully look at them, and answer clearly and honestly to the question: “Is this true? Or just my opinion? ". In most cases, it turns out that, without verifying the fact, you have already managed to build erroneous beliefs for yourself.
- Concentrate and count. You are waited by not too pleasant procedure, and you already feel that heart starts to take off. The best way to calm down in this case is to stop looking at one subject and begin to characterize it mentally: color, shape, features, material.
You can also be distracted by the account. Look around and count people, chairs, windows, flowers.
- Breathe. You can fresh air, and you can aroma oils. Essential oil of eucalyptus, citrus or conifers will help refresh and invigorate.
- Present the most terrible outcome. Can not get rid of the excitement? Then try to go the opposite. Imagine the worst outcome of a situation that causes such emotions. As you start to stutter, back up, stumble and fall, and everyone will laugh out loud. After mentally losing the situation, think again how scanty is the chance of developments in this vein. Yes, and in the process you are unlikely to manage without the attacks of laughter, because the excitement will go away by itself.
- Rule 5 minutes. One of the most effective techniques. Often, even the thought that you need to do something that causes anxiety causes a person to constantly postpone this moment. But anxiety and "eats" the habit of avoiding them. And as a result, a little excitement turns into real stress.
Understand for yourself the rule to solve problems and questions immediately after they arrive, based on a simple formula: "Within 5 minutes I can withstand anything."
- Seek help from a doctor. In the case when none of the methods is suitable, and does not work, it makes sense to consult a specialist. He will be able to choose the appropriate treatment option.
Calmness is the key to good decisions and well-being. Learn to deal with their experiences, and the problems that led to them will not be so serious.
1. Icy calm
The work of a psychotherapist would not suit everyone. Sometimes during the day, experts listen to any painful story. In addition, they are much more likely to meet unbalanced and explosive people. Sheri Helter, a psychotherapist from New York, recommends that patients do the same thing that she does — wash her hands with cold water and wash her face.
During a seizure and panic attack, dissociation occurs - a person “separates”, as it were, from the senses, loses control over them. Pulse quickens, breathing becomes more difficult. It only spurs fear. Strong feelings from the icy water literally return a person to his body, distract from feelings, and he realizes that he can control himself again.
2. Make clenched fists.
The best way to cope with a fit of strong excitement or panic would be simple motor activity. Not in vain in the midst of a quarrel advised to leave the room, change the situation or even run a few laps around the house. But it is not always possible to do this.
If, say, in the subway or any indoors, excitement is about to turn into a panic, remember the exercise from the therapist Nicole Opris from Richmond.
Put your hands on your knees if you are sitting, or put them behind your back if you are standing. Keep your fists tight and take a deep breath. Finishing the exhale, slightly loosen the fists. Inhale one more time and at the end of the exhale, open your fingers a little more. Continue to inhale and gradually loosen the hold. When the fists are almost unclenched, straighten your fingers with effort and tighten them as much as you can. And only after that, relax your hands. By this time you will feel that the tension has subsided.
3. Repeat the mantra "Calm, Hippolyte, calm"
With anxiety caused by an upcoming important event, Carol Hove, a psychotherapist from Orlando, advises patients to inhale deeply through his nose and exhale through his mouth at least three times. Then slowly say to myself: "I am safe and I love." For someone more suitable simple phrase: "Everything will be fine."
It would be naive to recommend to a person who is experiencing great excitement, to repeat to himself: "I am calm, I am completely calm."
But if you imagine that these words said favorite character from children's cartoons? Say to yourself with the voice of Carlson: "Calm, only calm!". Or tell me by stroking your chest: “Easy, Hippolyte, calm.”
4. Allow yourself to panic
Yes, you are not mistaken. Sometimes, the more we resist panic, the more it resists us. Instead, admit that you are very worried, and allow yourself to worry. Psychotherapist Carol Hove says:
“I know that panic really literally anchors at the place where they are trying to cope with it. But it is removed from the anchor and sails past, as soon as we decide to recognize its existence. ”
5. Cry often
Another tip that seems simple at first glance. The fact is that both panic attacks and strong anxiety often arise as an organism’s response to prolonged suppression of feelings and emotions.
Try to solve problems immediately as they arise.
If nervousness arises, tension is a sure sign that something has accumulated inside us. The tension of the nervous system will only grow. And in order to avoid an explosion, it is necessary to give free rein to tears, to cry, if tears dim from a sad melody or someone's words, and not restrain yourself.
6. Close all social networks.
Let's not talk about obvious things, for example, that the constant comparison of oneself with others causes negative feelings and dissatisfaction with oneself. But in those days when you are especially busy at work or just tired and feel that you can not stand it, it is better not to be distracted by constant stimuli in a mobile phone.
Pamper your senses with information detox, give rest to your eyes and nervous system. The bottom line is not to bring the body to exhaustion.
7. Just two words
Vzvinchinnost and nervousness are always accompanied by the fact that a person leads an endless conversation with himself and begins to worry about everything.
The method proposed by the psychologist Karen Whitehead will help stop this internal dialogue. Write on a small sheet only two (maximum three) words that bother you. Можно даже оформить их в виде списка с точками или обвести кругами. Посмотрите на них и задайте себе вопрос:
"It is a fact? Is it true or do I think so? ”It often turns out that we are 100% sure that we didn’t even bother to check.
This applies to those cases when you need to undergo unpleasant procedures, and you feel that the frequency of the pulse and breaths is too high.
Julia Colanello offers this method: do not close your eyes (this way you immerse yourself in feelings even more), but literally grab your eyes to some object from the situation and hold on to it. Or give yourself a task to count what came into view: tile tiles on the wall, flowers on the window. Or ask yourself the question: who does the doctor look like, who does his voice resemble?
9. 5 minutes in the room of fear
This is one of the most effective strategies, although the most shocking. Robert Duff, author of “Helping Yourself in the Style of Hardcore”, is sure: “Our constant anxiety and anxiety feed on our habit of avoiding unpleasant things. If the very thought that you need to do something (go to the doctor or talk to the boss) makes you worry, naturally, you will postpone these events until the last, so as not to worry even more.
Although it is quite possible that a trip to the doctor, and a conversation with the boss, have every chance to end well. But you don't know that! Delaying the decision, you increase your excitement every day, and, consequently, it becomes more and more difficult to overcome it. Therefore, when you do find yourself in a doctor’s or a doctor’s office, at this moment your excitement exceeds all imaginable limits. ” Try to solve problems immediately as they arise. Meet fear until it is the size of an elephant. Even if it concerns more serious fears - heights or darkness. Each of us has every chance to negotiate with ourselves:
"I can take anything for 5 minutes."
1. Scientific advice
Scientists from the UK offer to cope with anxiety as follows. Suppose a serious meeting is scheduled, which causes great excitement. On the day of the meeting, get enough sleep, it will help reduce excitement by 2-3 times. After that, think carefully about the meeting, what you will communicate, how to build behavior, imagine and analyze in detail the place in which everything will happen. Imagine that you are already there and everything passes as favorably as possible.
This method will help to feel the atmosphere of the upcoming event, soak up his energies and get rid of unnecessary excitement about this.
2. From the course of psychology
In psychology, they use a method called emotional overclocking; this exercise helps keep anxiety under control. Imagine yourself as a destructive element, let it be a fire, a tsunami or an avalanche. Feel how this energy pulsates in the veins, imagine how you move and what destructive power you have. Hear the roar of a rushing avalanche and the noise of a raging tsunami, feel the fire in your chest and how this fire breaks out, forcing everything around to ignite. Submit every detail. Fascinating, isn't it?
This psychological technique is used to control unrest, as well as for confident and relaxed communication. The disadvantage is that this method requires regular repetition, since we do not have a long time of action.
3.In the world of sports
Athletes also experience excitement and keep in the arsenal of techniques to fight him. I will talk about a pair of sports secrets that will help in life.
When a person begins to fight with himself, he is already worth something.
Archers say that the main source of excitement of thought, about what is happening around. To overcome the excitement, focus on the goal and give everything to the maximum, despite the opinions of others and the situation.
Climbers have repeatedly conquered the tops of the mountains, they say that the emotional state is directly dependent on the physical. Consequently, measured, deep breathing and muscle relaxation will allow a person to cope with anxiety. Climbers believe that removing physical stress, and excitement subsides, therefore, before each exciting situation, do respiratory and muscle workouts.
These methods are used with sharply surging excitement. For example, you need to perform the task in a busy place, take a deep breath, slightly knead the muscles of the neck and shoulders, and forgetting that people are around, move to the intended goal.
4. Public opinion
After viewing the social polls, it becomes clear that the opinion in society is that there is one effective way of dealing with anxiety. 70% of respondents use it daily. This method is simple, having felt the growing excitement, count in your head to 10. But is this method so effective? This method affects each person in their own way. Therefore, the answer to the question causes some people difficulty.
But also among the respondents met an elderly man with an interesting thinking. His proposed method sounds like this. If before a performance or communication with a stranger, excitement and constraint begins to appear. We set a goal to convey information to the audience. Do not think about what will be the opinion or reaction, just to convey information. It's like a fire, would it be embarrassing or exciting to shout the whole street about what happened? Not. Because there is a report of information.
Remember this method before a public appearance.
5.Word for the author
How to overcome excitement? Why fight him if you can not worry. I believe that life should be perceived as a game.
Life is a game, if you are a child in it, you will get much more pleasure ...
No, you should not go wild and fool around. Treat everything easier and take each new event as a game that you will emerge as a winner. Play with words, facial expressions and experiment with people.
How to get rid of excitement
The state of excitement can be seen on the example of an ordinary athlete before the competition. Whatever his character, a slight excitement and excitement will still be. It will help him to gather his courage and prepare emotionally. If there were no excitement, the athlete before the race would be indifferent, it could not help him in achieving positive results.
In sports, there are two terms of state before responsible competitions. This is prelaunch apathy and prelaunch fever. With a strong arousal before the race, the athlete is able to "burn out". In both cases, he will not run as well as he did during training.
Therefore, it is very important to mobilize all your strengths, pull yourself together and know how to cope with anxiety. Each person must understand his feelings and understand the degree of excitement he is able to show the best results at the most crucial moment.
If you want to learn how to cope with anxiety, you can regulate the psyche yourself by performing certain exercises.
In order to stop thinking about the upcoming event and cope with excitement, you should just look but the same subject for 5 minutes, noticing as many different details as possible. With strong anxiety, this exercise can be combined with breathing procedures. For example, on exhalation, close your eyes, and on inhalation, look at the object again. This can be done up to 50 times.
If too much agitation of the psyche should try to distract. To do this, take a comfortable position and present those events that will occur after the event. Provide an exceptionally favorable outcome. Focusing on the finger also helps. It is worth considering it, feel it and then close your eyes, presenting the same finger.
How to cope with anxiety instantly? It should follow his breath, making it measured and deep. Within two minutes, relative calm will come.
How to cope with the excitement before the performance
An important meeting is about to begin, and you cannot cope with shaking hands, a nervous tic and teeth knocking from a nervous overstrain. The picture is certainly not for the faint of heart and you have no ways of retreat. How to be? How to suppress excitement? But, by the way, excitement is a stupid beast and easy to train.
Your interlocutor is poor and helpless
For thousands of years, Japanese samurai use the easiest way to tame excitement. They could have a conversation with anyone, presenting the interlocutor as a dirty, helpless ragged one, while they felt confident and majestic.
Introducing the interlocutor in the toilet
This is the easiest and most reliable way to cope with anxiety when meeting an important person. Such a simple method was invented by a Russian soldier who, while on duty, found himself in the dressing room of a colonel-general bearing the reputation of a cruel commander of the Airborne Forces. After the incident, the soldier could not calmly listen to the commander’s fiery speeches and smirked in his mind.
Smart lesson - calligraphy
When meeting with an important person, he begins to shiver, thoughts all fly out of my head, and why? All from ignorance of what to expect next. This is the whole cause of excitement. Take a clean sheet, draw it in four pieces.
First enter your fears in one phrase. In the second - tell about your assumptions, what the meeting is fraught with. In the third - the neutral consequences that can be expected from the meeting. Well, in the fourth - the optimistic expected forecast.
Upon completion of the description of fears and predictions, you will see how much the situation has changed for the better, confidence and composure have appeared.
To cope with excitement, brain impulses should be switched to solving other problems. In this situation, a small painful focus is ideal. For example, pinch yourself in the thigh, only in a fit of nervous tension do not try to tear off a piece of muscle. On a subconscious level, brain activity will shift all its attention to painful sensation. And you will have the opportunity to cope with their emotions.
From the change of the places of the terms the result changes significantly
Mentally switch places with the interlocutor, put him in a situation that gives you torment akin to medieval torture. This is a sure way to suppress excitement.
If none of the above mentioned things helped, use the golden rule - the main thing is to start, and then everything will go on as usual.
Each of us in our life has periods of various stresses and various disturbances. They may well be generated, both by causes from the outside, and by their inner experiences. Moreover, it will be impossible to completely avoid any stresses, but then, it is quite possible to reduce their negative effects with the help of timely measures.
What to do with excitement
How can you understand when it is time for us to take any sedatives or is it time to stomp to the doctor? What can be argued without fail is that it is absolutely impossible to “launch” your own nervous state.
The fact is that absolutely any nervous tension has the property of being regulated according to the mechanism of some positive feedback, that is, self-reinforcing over time. Such an aggravation of the condition can occur at once on several levels.
Firstly, right at the level of our neurons, a so-called special dominant may well be formed, for example, a ring or some network of activated cells, they stimulate each other to a significant degree and at the same time suppress to a certain extent the activity of absolutely all existing neurons.
This dominant may well have quite obvious manifestations that are at the level of your consciousness: for example, with hunger or some kind of sexual arousal, such dominants in the human brain direct all thoughts completely to one single course.
Secondly, our consciousness, being in a certain negative emotional status, absolutely always will be able to find all the latest and newest external causes for further disorder.
Therefore, the correct approach to dealing with various nervous tensions is an adequate work with it when this tension is still at the very initial stage of its development. To use such energy of the given voltage in the necessary course, but at the same time not to allow it to dwell in such destructive and incredibly vicious circles.
If you want to cope with anxiety, and conventional methods do not help, you need not to persuade yourself with trivial phrases, “I don’t worry” or “nothing, now I take a deep breath and calm down,” and admit that you have a certain problem. her decision.
If your nervous tension is short-lived (in particular, after a sudden heavy conversation with the boss), you can immediately take some kind of sedative. Here it is necessary to clearly distinguish between different types of sedative drugs: homeopathic, natural, chemical. If medications do not help better to see a specialist.
The goal is - there is no excitement
Whoever is obsessed with his idea, he sees no obstacles to its achievement. When thoughts focus on a business, there is no room for unnecessary emotions and experiences.
It is very important to stop yourself when the experiences subside inside, you need to think, rethink, find the root of the problem and only then try to get rid of the tension.
Sometimes it’s enough to think what my excitement will lead to:
- loss of peace and composure
- inappropriate behavior
- lack of self-confidence
- control and powerlessness
- total loss of concentration
- no result or negative outcome of the event.
It is necessary to realize for oneself that excitement will not lead to something good, on the contrary, it prevents a person from living a full life and enjoying what is happening. You need to think sensibly, find a solution even in the most difficult situation, control your emotions and actions, be confident in yourself.
Why does excitement arise?
Our inner fears and complexes give rise to negative thoughts, and therefore fears and worries arise. It is important to learn to control your emotions - do not let them drift, but to capture, analyze, learn to reprogram life attitudes.
It is important to learn to breathe properly and deeply, to develop diaphragmatic breathing, to perform exercises - inhale and exhale every day, while the chest should be free from tightening clothing, and thoughts should be clean.
All troubling questions should be solved as they arise, and not to save in oneself and not to "bury it in the closet." It is useful to do yoga, go to the gym, you can run in the morning, in order to maximize energy recharge from nature.
Each person must find his own method for eliminating tension in the head and body, the main thing is not to accumulate negative, so that later he will not pay with his health.
Have a wonderful mood and good luck in all your endeavors.