- How to feed sterilized cats in 2018
- What to feed the cat after castration
- How to feed a Scottish Fold kitten
- - pure water
- - natural or industrial products suitable for sterilized animals
- nursing cat sterilization
Content sterilized cats - the nuances
The wave of humanism is saturated with so much suffering that sooner or later, many people realize that sterilization is the only way to reduce homeless animals without killing. In Europe and the USA, more than 80% of non-breeding animals are sterilized, seeing the effect, many animal protection platforms call for an example and it works! Today, sterilization is considered a simple operation with minimal risk.
What is sterilization in terms of physiology
In preparation for the operation, the animal is examined if it is available. The operation is quite simple, so most veterinarians use gentle anesthesia. In the cat, in the area of the uterus, on the side, the hair is shaved and a small incision is made - up to 4 cm. After opening, the surgeon gently pulls off the fallopian tubes and cuts them, the next stage is the removal of the ovaries. Removal of the ovaries and uterus in a female or testis in a cat is called ovariohisterectomy or castration.
Sterilization is possible at any age, however, a more prosperous, even beneficial effect is observed if an animal undergoes a procedure of up to 1-2 “hunting.” Naturally, surgical intervention affects the hormonal system, from a physiological point of view, the following changes occur:
- Slight metabolic slowdown in adults and older cats. It is advisable that before and after the operation you should feed the cat with natural homemade food, monitor the pet's weight and not forget about physical activities.
- The energy requirements of a sterilized cat are 20–25% lower than before the operation. The appetite, on the contrary, increases due to the absence of unnecessary stresses and the blunting of the instinct for continuation of the race, the animal can literally demand that the bowl be always full.
- After a full recovery, the frequency of urination decreases, which is a risk factor for urolithiasis. Animals with a breeding tendency to form stones are transferred to a low-salt diet.
Important! All “standard” industrial feeds contain a lot of salt as a preservative. It is more reasonable to keep a sterilized animal on natural feeding or specialized industrial feed.
From a moral point of view, sterilization only worries people, and selfish people! Animals have no ego and the lack of possibility of reproduction of offspring, painful periods of empty “hunting”, hormonal disruptions not only does not upset cats, but also prolongs their life.
Feeding after surgery
All of the following does not apply to cats. Males are very easy to undergo surgery and immediately after complete withdrawal from anesthesia they return to normal life, with females a little more difficult. No, you do not have to sit over the animal for days worrying about his life. After getting out of anesthesia for 2–12 hours, a vest covering the seam is put on the cat.
At the site of the incision, several stitches will be placed and your task is to trace their condition. It is important to properly feed the pet in the postoperative period, the cat should not strain during defecation. For 3-4 days, feed the pet only with soft, low-fat and liquid food:
- Milk, low-fat cream, sugar-free infant formula, ground cottage cheese, natural yogurt, sour milk.
- Lean broth without salt and meat.
- Raw or boiled and ground egg.
- Special canned food for cats that have had a rest or operated on are most often marked. The advantage is a clear calculation of the weight of the animal, the optimal balance of proteins, fats and carbohydrates, enrichment with vitamins, immunostimulating components and microelements. Possible disadvantages - intolerance to preservatives and high price.
Feeding a sterilized cat with industrial feed - features
At the mention of urolithiasis, any experienced breeder has an associative thought - the owner is to blame, because the cat must be fed with something other than dry food. It seems to the owners that they have found the optimal way out - inexpensively and the cat eats balanced food - this is self-deception and denial of obvious facts. Such a harsh position is not unreasonable, low-quality industrial feed, which most owners feed their pets contain a lot of salt and heavy minerals. Eating poor-quality food, the cat is weak. First of all, the kidneys and liver are affected. A weakened body cannot cope with timely cleaning and salts crystallize in the bladder, ducts and kidneys - this is how stones appear.
Given the particular propensity for urolithiasis after surgery, it is not recommended to feed a sterilized cat with regular food - either a specialized product or a natural food - such a tough choice is a must, if you feel important to your pet. A special risk group is neutered males and sterilized cats with hereditary tendencies. Scottish Fold and British cats are recommended to be kept on a mineralized diet, due to congenital weakness of the joints. It is necessary to study the available range and consult with a veterinarian, what kind of food to feed a sterilized cat.
Please note that the food you choose should be super premium or premium, with a protein digestion rate of more than 80% and low in salt. Most often, such feeds are marked with a special label "For sterilized cats."
Adjusting the natural diet of a sterilized cat
The optimal way to feed a sterilized cat, a balanced diet from human food, firstly, you will know what exactly gave the animal, because the described composition of industrial coma is not always true, secondly, you are guaranteed to control the flow of salt. "Natural" is not an economical option, because cats eat dairy and meat products, however, feeding with high-quality food is indisputably more expensive.
To begin with, let's look at what products need to be eliminated and whether it is possible to feed a sterilized cat with fish. Urolithiasis is treated, but it is easier to change the diet and prevent the development of the disease. Stones are formed from salt, phosphorus, magnesium - exclude products containing their high concentration. Remember to reduce the need for calories and reduce the consumption of fatty foods. The main list, what can not be fed sterilized cats:
- Fish, especially raw - a source of phosphorus.
- Oatmeal is a rich source of magnesium.
- Munk - a useless source of carbohydrates.
- Broths of duck, goose.
- Any fatty meat.
- Cream, sour cream or milk with fat content above 10%.
- Fried, spicy, pickled, smoked dishes - a direct path to metabolic disorders.
- Legumes, potatoes - high-calorie product, provokes diarrhea.
Important! Never feed your cat fresh meat, at least - infection with worms, in the more "neglected" case - protein intoxication. Boil or freeze the product.
The ideal option for feeding a sterilized pet is homemade cat food, to dilute the diet, use dairy products. The recipe is given as a basis, choose products depending on the preference of a pet:
- Chicken necks, winglets, pork ears, clean cartilage - to freeze for 3-5 days, do not cook!
- Liver, heart, stomach (poultry or beef) - boil or freeze.
- Vitamin B 12 capsules - calculated by weight.
- Food supplements, if necessary - calculate the number of feedings.
- Bran, buckwheat, rice - boil without salt.
Preparation - skip all the ingredients through a meat grinder (electric), packaged in plastic cups for weighing portions and freezing or roll into jars. As a sauce or dressing, you can use a non-greasy broth or cartilage jelly.
A few words about sterilization
Cats, like any other living creatures, tend to breed. And they do it very often, from 2 to 4 times a year. It is unlikely that anyone would want to keep a family of 10 or more individuals at home. Accordingly, the number of stray animals increases, which carry both social and environmental threats to the population. To interfere with this process can only one way - sterilization. This is a simple surgical intervention that does not have unpleasant consequences. In order to further the illnesses did not appear, it is necessary to observe the proper care of the pet, you also need to remember what to feed the sterilized cat.
What changes does the sterilization of cats entail?
After sterilization, the cats organism undergoes a series of changes. Namely:
- Metabolic disease. More likely all, you noticed that the sterilized cats have rather big weight. This small deficiency can lead to the development of serious diseases. It is important to consult with a specialist after the operation about proper feeding.
- The animal will eat 2 times more often than before the intervention. In the first days after this process, it will, conditionally, always stand at the empty bowl. It is important to know how to feed a sterilized cat. It is necessary that it contains the minimum amount and maximum vitamin.
- The energy level, on the contrary, decreases. Affectionate pet will almost always sleep or hang around.
- Temporarily can start to fall out wool. This is normal, as the body will be under stress for some time. To resort to any intervention in this case is not worth it. Recovery will happen on its own.
- The most dangerous symptom appears only in rare breeds of cats - they decrease the frequency of urination. If an individual does not translate into a low salt diet in time, the likelihood of developing urolithiasis will increase.
Many loving owners begin to take care of their pet, buying delicious treats for them. They think the animal is under stress. In fact, cats are absolutely neutral to this process. For many breeds, sterilization is a way to prolong life by normalizing hormonal levels.
Caring for a sterilized cat
Here are some veterinarian tips:
- Experts recommend to buy a special collar for a pet. For a cat, the natural reaction is to lick your own wound. The surgical suture should be at rest for at least 10 days.
- It should ensure the animal calm rhythm of life. It should not run, jump, and especially climb trees.
- The cat's body must be oxygenated. It is necessary to make her walk in the carrier or organize a sleeping bed on the balcony.
- It is required to completely limit contact with other individuals.
- It is necessary to observe the chair. If the cat's tray is not replenished within 72 hours, at the same time it is experiencing discomfort, you should immediately take it to the veterinarian, but rather, call a specialist at home.
- Within 10 days after the operation, any bathing procedures are strictly prohibited.
More caring owner should pay attention to the main question: what to feed a sterilized cat?
Is it possible to feed a sterilized cat with regular food? About 80 percent of cat owners ask for this. The obvious answer is no! Doing this is strictly prohibited. This is primarily due to the high level of preservatives and copious amounts of salt. The body of a weakened cat cannot cope with such a load. It is recommended to feed her only natural products for 3-4 days after the operation.
- Dairy products with a limited amount of fat: soft ground cottage cheese, milk, cream, yogurt or yogurt. It is recommended to drink it with low sugar infant formula.
- Lean soup, without the addition of salt and meat.
- Boiled, ground egg.
- Special canned food intended for operated cats.
It is very important to observe such a diet at an early stage of recovery. At the next stage of rehabilitation, you can supplement the diet with meat, fish and special food for sterilized cats.
Royal Canin is the best food for sterilized cats. It is presented in both dry and liquid form. There is an opportunity to choose the most suitable product for your pet. This is the only food product in the assortment of which there is a special line for kittens.
It consists of the best food for sterilized cats from vegetable proteins, fiber, rice, minerals, fish oil and soybean oil. All of this composition is perfectly absorbed in a weakened animal body.
Vitamin E is introduced in many dry and liquid supplements, it contributes to the rapid saturation and strengthening of the immune system. It is proved that a cat, in the diet of which this substance is constantly present, is several times less sick than other individuals.
Silver place in the ranking of feed for sterilized cats is deservedly occupied by the "Hills". This is a dry food product that belongs to the premium class. Its formula is well developed by manufacturers.
In total, there are five main reasons why you should give preference to this particular product:
- It contains carnitine. It has a positive effect on the work of the kidneys, is an excellent prophylactic agent for diseases of the urogenital system.
- There are antioxidants that allow the animal to be in good shape until the very old age.
- In the composition you can see the inscriptions "macronutrients" and "microelements". They are responsible for good feed absorption.
- Vitamin E is a permanent support for immunity.
- Vitamin A and B - are responsible for the external qualities of the pet. He will always have his coat, nails and teeth in good condition.
Food for sterilized cats "Hills" is not just a food product, but a universal formula of beauty and health.
Another special food for sterilized cats - "Proplan". It is based on salmon. This means that the product is not only healthy, but also tasty. He has been repeatedly tested by the best experts from around the world. A verdict was rendered: it is fully adapted for cats who have undergone an operation. Vitamin supplements, minerals and microelements are involved in the formula for its creation. The composition of food for sterilized cats is safe, does not contain harmful chemicals. Rice and cereals are excellently absorbed in the pet. With regular use of just such a product will be provided with good stools, proper functioning of the kidneys and the gastrointestinal tract. Such nutrition prevents the accumulation of sand and kidney stones.
The fourth place in the ranking of feed for sterilized cats is "Akana". This food product from a Canadian manufacturer is famous for its high-quality ingredients. There are no complex carbohydrates, offal and chemical additives. All this suggests that it will be well absorbed in the animal's body, even if he had recently undergone a complex operation.
More than 75 percent liquid feed consists of natural meat. Therefore, it is dominated by high protein content. The pet's body will quickly recover and gain strength. The owners of four-legged cotton grass praise him for his taste. According to them, the animal eats it with a good appetite.
How to feed a sterilized cat? The first thing that the owners pay attention to is its degree of usefulness. The second indicator is taste. What is the point of buying a product that the animal does not want to eat? An important factor is the price category.
Below are the average cost of some feed.
Cost is specified for 1,5 kg of a product. It can be concluded that the product "Purina" has the best value for money.
On the question of whether it is possible to feed a sterilized cat with regular food, experts strictly answer - no. They require a special product that has a minimum number of calories, contains beneficial substances that prevent the development of urolithiasis. But it should be chosen correctly. Pay attention to several important indicators:
- Carefully study the composition published on the packaging. The lower the carbohydrate content, the more useful this product is for your pet.
- It is recommended that the word “light” be present on the label. This is a sign that will have to deal with low-calorie meals. For a sterilized animal, this is a huge plus.
- It is desirable that the protein content exceeds 50 percent.
- Nitrogen and phosphorus, in contrast, should not exceed the permissible rate (6-7 percent). Otherwise, they will settle in the kidney area and lead to a feeling of discomfort.
- Another important point is the absence of chemical elements that will impede the processing process.
Do not skimp on buying food from the economy class. Они полностью состоят из субпродуктов, ароматизированных и вкусовых добавок. А для витаминов в нем места не останется. Следует избегать разрекламированного «Китекет», «Фрискас», «Вискас» и прочих аналогов правильного питания.Remember that a cat is a living creature, the health of which, every owner should take care.
Recovery period after surgery
Recovery of a cat after anesthesia may occur from 8 to 12 hours, during this period it may require special care. Compared to them, cats come to their senses much faster after castration, immediately after separation from anesthesia they return to their former life.
First of all, you need to monitor the condition of the suture without allowing excessive tension, and of course you should not forget to properly feed the sterilized cat. In the first three days, food should be very soft or semi-liquid to avoid constipation. This diet may include
- Non fatty dairy products
- Lenten broths
- Canned food that is intended for cats after surgery or diseases
If the sterilized cat refuses food on the first day, you should not worry, but rather provide your pet with full access to water. The next day, pet food should be liquid.
Organized nutrition of a sterilized cat
After sterilization, it is not necessary to drastically change the diet; the cat needs to be fed with all the topics for which it is already used. Therefore, if your pet was eating only natural products before the operation, you should not try to dramatically translate it into specialized foods. The industrial type of food should be treated with special attention, and only choose the one that is intended for sterilized cats.
Also, do not forget that the sterilized cats lose their sense of saturation, and she will try to eat everything that is in the bowl without a trace.
It is with such a problem that specialized foods for sterilized cats will help to cope. Since they are saturated with vitamins and proteins, which allow the cat to forget about the desire to eat for a while.
To avoid obesity, a sterilized cat, like people, needs to follow its feeding regime. Try to teach her to eat only at certain times of the day., for example, sprinkle food only in the morning and in the evening. For the rest of the time, keep the cat bowl empty. If the usual regime for cats consists of three meals a day, simply divide the food into three equal portions.
How to choose the right feed
Owners of sterilized cats, who are first faced with the choice of finished food, should follow some tips, so as not to be mistaken with food. Firstly do not pay attention to the economy class feedbecause it is not high quality. Therefore, if you decide to sterilize the cat, then you should not save on it.
In order to make it clearer what is the difference between the various categories, you should pay attention to the composition. Sometimes written in small print in one instant makes it clear why this particular food should not be chosen, especially for a sterilized cat. After all, saving on food, you can continue to spend a lot of money on a trip to the vet. Very often, premium food of some manufacturers is similar in its characteristics to a super premium. That is why it is worth choosing it as carefully as possible. The food of sterilized cats should include food with a special mark.
If you suddenly notice that the sterilized cat has started to gain weight, you should pay attention to the food marked "Against obesity."
This feed is low-calorie, and therefore you can add a small portion of your favorite treats to the diet of a sterilized cat, but most importantly, it should not be harmful to her health.
Also, do not forget about the simplest rules, when a ready-made feed enters the diet of a sterilized cat:
- Water should be always available and always fresh.
- Choosing food, be sure to look at the presence of such an inscription as "Prevention"
- Medicated feed should not be obtained without a doctor's recommendation.
Very often, sterilized cats are diagnosed with urolithiasis, in such cases specialized food has also been released. They contain more vitamins, but the content of phosphorus and magnesium is reduced.
It is best to give preference to canned food., as they have a big advantage over dry food. For example, its dosed moisture content that does not require additional fluid intake.
If you have doubts when choosing a food for a sterilized cat, you should consult with your veterinarian, because very often factors such as your pet's age and its breed can play a part in deciding.
Choosing a natural diet for a sterilized cat
The diet of human food is the best choice for feeding your pet, as you always know what is included in its menu. After all, sometimes in many feeds the composition is not always truthfully described. Also, always adjust the dosage of salt, which is very important for your pet.
It is very easy to feed a sterilized cat at home, but deciding to include only natural food in its diet should not treat it to ready-made food. The only exception may be some types of canned food, which are used only as a treat or as an attempt to give the pet menu a bit of variety.
Despite the fact that you can choose meat of any kind, it should not be very fat. It should also be remembered that if you decide to feed raw meat, in order to avoid the appearance of worms, it is necessary to freeze. Home-made canned food will be an excellent delicacy, which no sterilized pet will refuse, and cooking them will be easier than ever:
- The most commonly used neck and wings of chickens, pig ears and cartilage, they do not need to cook, but it is worth keeping in the freezer for about 3-4 days
- Do not forget about offal, which contain many useful vitamins, here is chicken liver, hearts and stomachs
- After that, all meat products are passed through a meat grinder.
- Vitamin B12 can be added to cooked canned food.
- Arrange in bags or jars, then freeze
Any supplements must be calculated strictly based on the weight of your pet. Rice or buckwheat are often added to canned food.
Do not forget to feed your pet a variety of vegetables, as they are rich in vitamins. You can add them to the dishes, both boiled and raw in a shabby condition. And of course, do not leave your favorite without dairy products such as cottage cheese, kefir and even cheese.
Try to keep the menu of a sterilized pet always varied, and one product will not be repeated too often.
Products to be excluded from the diet
Sterilized pets need a special selection of their food, as there are many changes in the body. The first is a slow metabolism. Energy demand is reduced, and appetite is greatly increased, so you need to carefully monitor its diet in order to avoid obesity. After sterilization, many pets decrease the frequency of urination, which exposes it to urolithiasis.
That is why, never feed a cat with such products as:
- Fish, because phosphorus adversely affects the body
- Oatmeal contains a large amount of unwanted magnesium
- Semolina is a source of carbohydrates
- Any dairy products, whose fat content is above 10%, it can be sour cream or cream
- Categorically it is worth forgetting about smoked, fried or pickled products.
- Bean and potato products are high in calories and can cause diarrhea.
Never feed your cat fresh meat, as this can cause not only the appearance of worms, but also protein intoxication. Do not try to use medicine from your first-aid kit to treat a pet, even if indigestion or swelling occurs.
Place to eat
As for people, a place for feeding sterilized cats is very important, as is the use of special dishes. It must be kept clean all the time, and weathered or dried food should definitely be thrown away, otherwise it can cause poisoning.. The need for a sterilized cat to take fluids is especially high, so it is worthwhile to place her a very deep bowl, or even a small bowl. Try to change it as often as possible to avoid the accumulation of a large amount of salts in it.
The feeding place itself should be very comfortable, so that the sterilized cat feels comfortable during the meal, and at that moment no one should disturb her. After you need to give her some time to rest, avoiding various games.
Feeding a sterilized pet is quite simple, you only need to spend a little more time choosing the menu than before, adjusting its portion, number of tricks to avoid overeating. And if you do everything right, your pet will be healthy, vigorous and very cheerful, will not be exposed to any diseases, including obesity, and will always be grateful to you.
It should be remembered not only about how to properly feed a sterilized cat. Another important component is the balance of water in the pet. The bowl should always be filled with clean water, it is recommended to change it every morning. Periodically you need to enter into the diet milk. For some cat breeds, herbal tea is very useful.
Sterilization - although it is very simple, but still a surgical operation. Unfortunately, not every specialist considers it necessary to hold a cognitive lecture for her master about the proper care of a pet. Many people face the question of whether it is possible to feed a sterilized cat with regular food? Remember the important rule: the body of a weakened animal needs a healthy and high-quality diet.
Sterilization is an operation to remove the ovaries. After the procedure, sex hormones are no longer produced, which leads to physiological and behavioral changes in the cat with undesirable consequences:
- increased appetite
- reduced physical activity
- metabolism slows down
- decreases the amount of urination.
The first three factors lead to weight gain and obesity, the last - stagnant urine, the formation of sand and stones. The type of food after sterilization does not change, but the "menu" is better to review. Additionally read: how to feed cats with obesity.
The diet is made up of half of the proteins, the rest - from carbohydrates and fiber, fat.
It includes the following "dishes":
Fowl, rabbit meat, beef. This is the basis of nutrition, give daily boiled, raw pre-freeze 5 - 6 days. Before feeding, cut into pieces. Stuffing is allowed, if cooked with his own hand, store too greasy. Fresh meat is not fed to avoid infection with worms.
Offal: lung, kidney, liver. They contain nutrients that are not in the muscle fibers, they are also frozen or boiled, included in the diet 2 times a week.
Meat broths. Sterilized pets are useful to teach to this dish: they need an increased amount of liquid, but reluctantly drink water.
Vegetables: zucchini, carrots, pumpkin, cabbage. Boiled product is crushed in puree, raw rubbed on a grater. If the pet refuses vegetables in pure form, they are mixed with chopped meat or broth.
Dairy products up to 10% fat. Ryazhenka, sour cream, kefir, yogurt without fillers, cheese will do.
Kashi: rice, barley, wheat, buckwheat. On a teaspoon mixed with meat or offal. If the animal refuses, then replace the bran.
Vegetable, butter. Add 2 to 5 drops to food to maintain the normal state of the coat and improve the work of the stomach.
It is useful to sprout herbs from wheat grains, oats, or buy ready-made grass at a pet store. Vitamin and mineral supplements are given only on the recommendation of a veterinarian.
Excessive amounts of magnesium and phosphorus provoke urolithiasis, so food with these trace elements is limited. Useless and harmful "dishes" can not be eaten by any cats.
After sterilization of the diet exclude:
- pollock, cod, other varieties of fish are fed boiled no more than 2 times a month,
- sugar sweets
- oatmeal, semolina,
- smoked meat and sausages,
- garlic and onions,
- raw eggs.
Salt also provokes ICD, so dishes do not salt.
Mode and norms of feeding
After sterilization, the cat eats more and moves less, the amount of food eaten has to be controlled. It is better to know the exact weight before the operation, and then periodically weigh the pet and periodically, so that the numbers do not increase.
The daily rate is calculated based on the size of the animal: 30 - 50 g of food per 1 kg of body weight or up to 5% of the total mass. The main indicator of a correctly calculated norm is stable weight. If it increases - the animal overeats, decreases - feed is not enough.
According to the observations of doctors, an average cat requires 140 - 250 g of food per day, of which:
- 70 - 120 g of meat,
- 30 - 60 g of lactic acid products,
- 35 - 50 g of vegetables,
- 10 - 20 g of cereal.
Pets are fed at certain times twice a day, food on demand is not allowed. When signs of obesity appear, when the ribs are not felt, they switch to a fractional diet. The number of meals is increased to 4 - 5 times, the portions are reduced, the daily rate is divided into parts.
The owner is better to weigh the financial possibilities in advance and decide on the brand. It is unacceptable to give first holistic, and a week later transfer to Whiskas from the nearest supermarket.
Veterinarians recommend not paying attention to advertising slogans, but carefully read the description on the package.
The quality feed is distinguished by the following characteristics:
- Components are painted in detail in descending order, meat comes first.
- The names of the ingredients can be understood by a person without special education.
- Dyes and flavorings are missing, the shorter the list of ingredients, the better.
On the package indicated daily dosage, the smaller it is, the more nutritious the product. This is important for dry food: cats do not like water, and it needs 3 times more eaten.
The composition contains L-carnitine, L-lysine: the first component accelerates the metabolism, stimulates fat burning, the second supports muscle mass.
You can make sure of the correctness of your choice after 2 - 3 weeks in terms of the appearance and well-being of the cat. Food is suitable if it has a smooth and shiny coat, normal digestion, regular stools, moderately well-fed body.
Economy class food does not fit: it Friskas, OurMarka, Kitiket, Whiskas. They contain 0.5% protein, a lot of useless carbohydrates, chemical flavor enhancers.
Manufacturers of premium and super premium produce special line for sterilized and neutered animals with a mark Sterilized. They are distinguished by a lower content of fat, phosphorus and magnesium.
Here are examples of special feeds of the average price category:
- Royal Canin. Plus is considered a variety of assortment. The manufacturer has developed products of 4 types: for kittens up to a year, up to 7, over 7, and more than 12 years. In addition to dry granules, semi-liquid jellies, sauces, and pates are produced. The dehydrated poultry protein is indicated at the beginning of the list of ingredients, but its origin is not specified.
- Hill’s. The company produces 3 varieties: dry pellets for cats from 6 months to 6 years, over 6 and pouches. The first line of the list of ingredients is chicken, the composition includes L-carnitine, fat does not exceed 9%.
- 1st choice. Products made from fresh chicken. The food is distinguished by a successful composition of vegetable carbohydrates: there is no low-useful maize and wheat, but brown rice, oat kernels and barley are present.
- ProPlan. In addition to dry food, the company also produces canned food in pouches with poultry, ocean fish, and beef. The amount of protein reaches 41%, but wheat and corn gluten are present.
- Holistic differ in the increased maintenance of proteins: from 40 to 75%, it is Now Natural, Acana, Go !, Orijen. There are no special dietary lines among them, but they are suitable for pets after sterilization. Holistic animals are cautious for animals with impaired kidney function.
The pet is fed twice a day, the pellets can not be poured uncontrollably into the bowl. The daily dose is prescribed on the package, it is divided into 2 equal parts. Dry and wet food alternate, adhere to the products of the same brand.
There is no definitely "best" diet for a sterilized cat. The main thing is to include products that are useful for the animal with natural nutrition or to carefully select a production feed. If the pet eats with appetite, does not gain weight, does not suffer from illnesses and looks well-groomed - the diet is suitable.
Why a sterilized cat diet?
Sterilization - deprivation of the animal's ability to give offspring. If you decide to sterilize a cat, it almost exactly means that during the operation it will remove the internal reproductive organs - the ovaries and the uterus, that is, strictly speaking, they will conduct a castration.
And then what? Since these organs (mainly the ovaries) produced female sex hormones, which are responsible for many processes in the body, their removal will lead to various consequences.
Estrogens tend to suppress appetite. Кроме того, половые гормоны ускоряют обмен веществ. Если они перестают вырабатываться, то у животного повышается аппетит, а вместе с этим замедляется метаболизм. В итоге, мы получаем склонность к ожирению.
If we talk about how to properly feed neutered cats, then it is necessary to proceed from this conclusion. If before the animal was a full bowl, from which the cat ate a little bit and did not gain extra weight, now she will eat everything and ask for supplements, gradually turning into a bun.
Pet food developers have long preoccupied themselves with this problem and created a line of food for sterilized animals: as a rule, they have a lower calorie content due to the reduced fat content.
Changing the approach to feeding cats
After sterilization of the pet owners need to change their views on his feeding. First, you need to limit the amount of food. The fact that the bowl should always be filled to the brim, and the cat itself knows how much it needs to eat - a myth. Therefore, it is necessary to strictly observe the daily rate, dividing it into one or more feedings during the day.
For example, wet food should not be left in a bowl, so it should be given often and little by little. And do not feel sorry for a little glutton, if she "cries" near an empty bowl. Having received food encouragement, the cat will use the same techniques again and again, if he realizes that they work.
Secondly, you need to monitor the physical condition of the animal. If a cat gets a tiny, in your opinion, portion, but does not lose weight, it means it is enough. If a standard portion causes weight gain, it must be reduced.
Visually, it is not always possible to adequately assess the degree of fatness of the animal, so it is optimal to carry out the weighing. Only constant monitoring by the owners, and individual adjustment of the amount of feed will allow the cat to stay in shape.
How to feed a cat after sterilization: a change in diet
It is necessary to reduce the calorie feed. There are some rules for feeding neutered animals:
- decrease in the level of fats (it is desirable that their level be no more than 10%),
- maximum reduction in the amount of carbohydrates (the smaller the cat gets to feed grain and starchy foods, the better),
- an increase in the amount of dietary fiber (they give a feeling of satiety and at the same time stimulate the bowels).
It should be noted that a decrease in nutritional value does not mean a decrease in the quality of the feed. To feed the cat after sterilization should be no less, and perhaps more carefully. It is extremely important for her to get high-quality sources of fat and protein, so rations in which high-grade animal fat is replaced by vegetable oil, and meat by sources of vegetable protein, are not suitable for her anyway.
Do not be afraid after sterilization and the development of urolithiasis, a direct connection between these phenomena does not exist. High-quality feed, balanced in magnesium and phosphorus, reduces the risk of developing the disease.
How to feed a sterilized cat with dry food
For feeding, only super premium class feeds for sterilized animals and grainless feeds with high meat content are suitable.
The daily portion is selected on the basis of the recommended feeding rates by the manufacturer. The data table can always be found on the back of the package. It should be understood that grainless diets are highly digestible, so it may be necessary to reduce the daily rate, especially if the cat started to gain weight.
Feeding dry food to sterilized cats with different levels of activity
In residential cats, energy costs can be very low, another thing, when the question arises how to properly feed a sterilized street cat. By this we mean an animal that has a permanent exit to the street. Theoretically, the energy costs of such a cat would be much higher, and hence the need for food will increase.
But here it is important to take into account such a moment as hunting. If a cat actively catches mice during walks, then it can almost completely satisfy the need for nutrients through a natural diet. Many domestic cats only play with their prey, losing interest in it after death, or bringing their owners to "boast success."
In this case, the owner must monitor the weight of the animal and independently choose the best feeding option. If on a standard portion of food the cat gains weight, you need to give less food. If an animal runs a lot, does not eat its prey and starts losing weight, you may have to give it a little more feed (the norm for active animals is the maximum in the table on the package).
Sterilization is not to blame
Sterilization is the right way to prolong the life of a pet and improve its quality. But health is largely dependent on proper feeding. No matter how “cute” a plump cat looks, do not forget that it is an obese animal that risks diabetes, problems with joints, heart, kidneys, liver, and is unable to lead an active lifestyle and play.
It is not the food or the operation itself that is to blame for obesity - the responsibility lies primarily with the owners, so it is better not to neglect the advice of veterinarians on how to properly feed a sterilized cat.
Feed your cat properly after castration, and you will not notice changes in its character and build. She will be as mobile, playful and healthy as before.