Tiled walls immediately after repair look perfect. However, over time, you have to look for ways to clean the joints between the tiles in the kitchen. The gaps are clogged with dirt and spoil the appearance of the room. It is not always possible to wash them with ordinary detergents. In rooms with high humidity, the integrity of resistant grout and sealants is gradually destroyed by the action of bacteria and mold fungi that can penetrate deep into the structure of the material. If the dirt from the tile joints is difficult to remove, you need to use more aggressive means to clean them.
1 way - the use of industrial cleaners
It is best to use specially designed means for cleaning joints.
Ultra Stripper Cleaner is a concentrated product. It successfully cleans mosaic, porcelain, granite, cement and ceramics from stubborn dirt. Ultra Stripper is diluted with water before use. The concentration of the solution depends on the amount of contamination.
Disinfectant preparation BOZO is used for cleaning tiles and inter tile joints. Due to the viscous consistency, the agent evenly covers the porous surface of the gaps. It effectively removes stubborn grease, salt, soot and rust. After treatment, BOZO disappears unpleasant odor.
Very quickly will help to wash the seams means - concentrate for inter tile joints HG. Before using it, clean the joints with dishwashing detergent and dry the surface. The drug is applied with a brush and after 10 - 15 minutes, wash off. Stitches whiten on eyes.
In case of light pollution it is better to use impregnator for Atlas Delfin tiles and seams. It is advisable to apply it immediately after the repair to prevent the appearance of contamination. Atlas Delfin protects the porous surface of the building mixture, not allowing it to accumulate pollution. Impregnat is resistant to cleaning agents and makes the kitchen tile shining.
Mr. spray will cope with small pollution easily. Muscle Expert for the kitchen. It will remove the burned fat, the stains of sauces and the burned milk on the tile joints. Spray has antibacterial action.
Good result gives the use of Pemolux cleaning powder. It is applied to a small brush and wipe the cement. It is convenient to process the seams with a regular toothbrush (preferably a child’s or an electric one). The disadvantage is the presence in its composition of abrasive elements (ground marble). There is a high risk of damage to the surface of adjacent plates.
Quickly and simply help restore the whiteness of the tiled seams of the pencil for whitening Snowball. It is enough to hold a pencil line over the seams, so that they again look like new ones. Components that make up the tool, deeply penetrate into the cement, destroying mold fungi and bacteria.
2 way - steam cleaning
You can return the walls to their original purity using a steam cleaner. A steam cleaner is a device that releases hot steam under high pressure. The steam jet easily removes old stains, destroys pathogens and mold spores that have penetrated the cement.
To clean the tile joints, you need to purchase a steam cleaner, which can be heated to a temperature of at least + 175 * C. It is better to use the device with a brush head. The steam will be more concentrated through it, so the effect of steam on the surface of the seams will be higher.
After treatment of the joints with steam, wash off contaminants with water at room temperature. You can additionally treat the surface with anti-fungal disinfectants.
3 way - cleansing with bleach
To clean the recently darkened seams in the kitchen, you can use chlorine-containing bleach (Whiteness, Cif Ultra White, Domestos). These tools will help destroy the colonies of fungi and bacteria in the upper layers of the material.
Bleach is applied to the contaminated surface with a brush and left for 10 - 15 minutes. After that, the tool is re-applied and washed off with plenty of water. Bleach is difficult to completely wash out of the porous surface.
Enhance the effect of chlorine-containing agents can baking soda. From the baking soda and bleach prepare a thick paste (resembling toothpaste in consistency). It is applied with a spatula to the seams and left to dry completely. The composition is washed with water and a brush.
It is necessary to make sure that the seam is completely covered with the compound, otherwise there will be dark spots on it.
This method is suitable for cleaning joints covered with white grout. It is not recommended to use bleach on colored surfaces, even if the shade of putty is very light. A colored surface after applying bleach will lose color uniformity and will look untidy.
If you have to handle a large area, you must close the doors in the kitchen and open the windows, otherwise the acrid smell will spread throughout the apartment, you should work with gloves and a mask.
4 way - the use of available tools
A good preventive measure for fungi is laundry soap. Fungal microorganisms die in an alkaline environment. Use soap to clean the surface regularly, until a mold appears on it. Laundry soap will help get rid of the mold that has arisen on the seams recently. Antifungal properties has only soap in the form of a brown bar.
You can clean the joints between the tiles on the floor with baking soda. Moisturize the floor and generously sprinkle gaps with soda powder. When it gets wet, every inch of the surface between the plates is thoroughly rubbed with a toothbrush. Particular attention should be paid to places with black spots and dots.
Clean the seams will help solution prepared from:
- 1 tbsp. vinegar,
- 1 h l. baking soda,
- 1 tbsp ammonia,
- 2 glasses of water.
First, baking soda is dissolved in water, then vinegar and ammonia are slowly added to the solution. The tool is applied with a brush on the seams for 10 minutes, then washed off. The composition actively foams and “explodes” contamination from the inside, allowing them to be easily washed. Wash off the solution along with the dirt.
A similar result is observed after applying a soda solution with the addition of vinegar and citric acid. 200 g of baking soda are dissolved in 2 l of water, then 100 ml of lemon juice and 50 ml of vinegar are added. Instead of lemon juice, you can use citric acid. It is diluted in water in a ratio of 1: 2. The composition is applied to the joints and wash it off after 15 minutes with water.
To remove the dirt on the interdigital gaps, they spray acetica from the sprayer. To prepare the solution, water and vinegar are taken in equal parts. Covered with a solution, the seams are cleaned with a stiff brush (not metal).
Well dissolves fatty and burned spots, hydrogen peroxide diluted in water (it is mixed with water in a ratio of 1: 2).
Choosing what to wash off pollution, you need to consider the type of tile. Glazed surface may fade after treatment with products containing acids.
5 way - mechanically cleansing
How to clean the joints between the tiles in the kitchen, without resorting to chemistry? Mechanical cleaning of joints between tiles is the most radical way to solve a problem. This is hard and painstaking work that is done only by hand. It is not recommended to use electrical appliances (drill with nozzle or grinding machine). They can damage the tile.
To clean seams with stubborn dirt, use:
- putty knife,
- a semicircular chisel or sandpaper.
Cut off a dirty layer of grout can be using a metal tube, cut at an angle and sharpened.
But it is better to buy a special scraper to clean the joints of the tile and remove the old grout. It is a handle, to which is attached a wide blade with a diamond coating. The blade thickness is 1 - 1.5 mm. It allows you to clear even very thin gaps between the tiles. If the seams are wide, you can use models with several blades or remove the grout layers with one blade, placing it at an angle.
The tool handle is at a 45 degree angle to the work surface. Therefore, during a long, hard work, the hand does not get tired. By clicking on the tool, you can cut the grout from the joint along its entire length in one motion.
If the fungus has recently appeared on the grout surface, only the top layer of material can be removed. If the cement has darkened long ago, you need to cut the layers below the darkened ones. The spores of the fungus can be in the deep layers of the material. It is impossible to detect them with the naked eye. Remaining in the grout, the fungi will continue to destroy it.
In the course of their vital activity, fungal microorganisms secrete volatile organic compounds capable of causing various diseases, therefore, it is necessary to clean the affected layers of building material with gloves and a mask.
In some cases, you have to remove all grouting. After removal of the affected material, the joint is dried with a hairdryer. A heater with a heating coil or a fan heater can be installed next to it. Such devices quickly reduce air humidity.
The dried surface is treated with special fungicidal agents. Instead, you can use a special primer that prevents the appearance of bio-corrosion, the colonization of mold fungi and bacteria (Ceresit CT99). After applying it, a new grout is applied, in which a little antifungal primer should be added.
A mixture of baking soda, fresh lemon juice and table vinegar
The number of ingredients will be as follows:
- soda - ½ cup,
- lemon juice - 1/3 squeezed fruit,
- Vinegar (9%) - ¼ cup.
All of the above components dissolved in 1.5 liters of boiled and cooled to room temperature water. Acid secreted by lemon and vinegar, entering into a chemical reaction with soda, will lead to increased foaming. To prevent the spray from smearing the surrounding objects, you need to stir the composition with unhurried movements.
Wear rubber gloves beforehand. Rub the resulting product into the tile joints using an old toothbrush or sponge with a hard side. The structure will return a tile and its joints in an initial form in 15-20 minutes.
Ammonia not only cleans the tile, but also gives it a dazzling shine. Need to act in the following way:
- in two liters of pure water dissolve one tablespoon of ammonia,
- using a spray bottle, spray the product onto each seam and tile squares,
- leave for 15-20 minutes
- Wipe off any residual mortar and dirt with a slightly damp cloth.
Whiteness and soda
Whiteness and soda are two active ingredients that also effectively cope with mold.
It is necessary to prepare the paste with the use of these tools: pour the whiteness into the container and add so much baking soda so that the solution acquires a pasty consistency.
Using a spatula, treat each seam with the compound and leave until it dries completely. After that, rinse off with water, using a brush or sponge for better cleaning.
If the color of the grout is not white, but of a different shade, then this method will not work, since the whiteness included in the product will whiten the paint.
Since whiteness is a substance not only with a pungent odor, but also containing chlorine, it is important to take precautions before work — protect your hands with rubber gloves and your face with a gauze bandage.
Soda, lemon, toothpaste, mustard
In this case, you will need a mixture of baking soda, juice of fresh lemon, toothpaste or powder and mustard. The proportions will be following:
- soda - ½ cup,
- lemon juice - 1/3 squeezed fruit,
- toothpaste or powder - 1 tsp,
- mustard powder - 1 tablespoon.
Pour 1 liter of water into the container and add all of the above components in the specified amounts. Mix well. Using a sponge to rub the tool into the surface of each grout. After 30 minutes, rinse with warm clean water.
How to clean the joints between tiles using household tools?
Household chemicals presented in household goods stores do not always meet the requirements of health safety. Many of the substances contained in the products are toxic.
Therefore, every time you work with them you need to use gloves and a protective mask on the face. How to wash the seams using the purchase of funds? Which ones to purchase?
- Cleaning pen. It is filled with dye on a waterproof basis. In addition to the destruction of harmful microorganisms, the marker will mask defects on the seams.
- Oxygen bleach. It is stirred with warm water in a 1: 1 ratio. Sponge put the composition on the tile, paying special attention to the seams between the tiles. Leave on 1-1.5 hours. The ions that make up the bleach will destroy the dirt that has penetrated deep into the seams. It is easy to remove the remains of means with a rigid brush.
- "White". It can be used not only as part of folk remedies, but also as an independent substance. The whiteness is used to treat the entire surface of the tile in the bathroom, including the tile joints.
- Melamine sponge - expensive, but effective means in the fight against visible pollution. However, it cannot cope with mold.
The stores sell and other compositions for cleaning tiles in the bathroom and in the kitchen. These are Sif, Ultrastripper, Mr. Muscle, BOZO, Atlas Dolphin. They should be used in accordance with the instructions indicated on the packaging.
A radical solution, or if the mold has penetrated too deep
All the tools described above can cope with dirt and mold, which appeared relatively recently. If the fungus penetrates deep into the grout joints, you will have to act radically.
Rescue scraper. Use it to clean off all grouting. Ideally, if the mold appeared in the bathroom, then you should change the tile or remove it, clean the glue or fastening solution and put it again. But not always time and opportunities for this. But you can not let things take their course. Mold is dangerous to health, especially for people prone to allergic reactions and with asthma attacks.
Before starting to clean the joints, they should be softened with water and vinegar. After the grout is completely removed, each joint must be carefully treated with special antifungal solutions, then wiped again with a compound for them with a spatula.
Cleaning any kind of tile has its own characteristics. They affect selection of a tool to be used in the course of further work.
- If the surface of the tile is glazed, then it can not be applied acid, otherwise the tile will fade.
- Matte tiles on completion of work is always worth processing with mastic with protective properties. It creates a film that no longer allows the surface to become dirty.
- Mosaic, like glass tile, is resistant to irritants. But you can not apply to them the means, where in large quantities is alkali and acid.
- Compounds with abrasive elements - in the form of granular powders or crystalline components, as well as too hard brushes, it is better not to use on any surface.
- Choosing a grout for joints, pay attention to the funds with an epoxy base. They are not only resistant to pollution, but also not subject to the formation of mold and mildew.
So that you don’t have to puzzle over the task, than to wash the joints between the tiles, do not be lazy to clean the bathroom regularly. Then the dirt will not have time to eats into the surface, and your tile will become cleaner.
Causes of pollution and discoloration of tile joints
The only known way to preserve the ideal cleanliness of ceramic tiles and seams is not to use the premises in which it is used as a finish. In all other cases, the operation of coatings and exposure to aggressive environments cause their natural aging and pollution.
The tile in the hallway is affected by all types of dirt and soil: clay, sand, black earth, brought into the room with shoes. There can not stand any seam!
In showers and bathrooms, the atmosphere saturated with water vapor and lack of ventilation contribute to the accelerated development of fungal, mold and other microorganisms, which, settling in tile joints, lead to their blackening, and the use of modern cosmetics and hygiene products no less successfully promotes the accumulation of dirt.
Tiles on floors and walls in the working area of the kitchen is contaminated with fats, oils, food waste. In the kitchen, the hardest thing is to clean the joints between the tiles on the floor.
The beginning of the accumulation of mud deposits in the seams can be laid even when laying tile, when the technology of tiled works were not observed, namely:
- lack of primer with protection against mold and mildew,
- the grout is not covered with a protective compound
- grouting without glue,
- violation of the process of styling,
- remnants of the adhesive mixture in the seams.
No less important are some operational points, or rather the absence of a number of factors:
- timely care.
All three indicators must be present on a mandatory basis. В случае с последним пунктом, касающимся своевременного ухода, следует учесть тот факт, что первоначальные загрязнения – прекрасная среда для развития грибков и плесени.
Important! Затраты сил на очистку плиточных швов после их загрязнения всегда превышают затраты на поддержание чистоты.Good ventilation of the rooms, sufficient level of heat (heating), regular care of ceramic surfaces with the use of special “cosmetics” for tiles and seams will retain their original freshness and beauty.
How to clean the joints between the tiles on the floor
If, with all the efforts to keep the grout between the tiles failed, and its original color has changed beyond recognition, you will need to update the tile using different means.
Uncomplicated fatty contamination, leaks from the use of detergents, light limescale, darkening of the color of the grout can be easily removed with degreasing agents - CIF, Silit, Fairy. The presence of signs of mold, the appearance of the fungus will require the use of liquids, which include chlorine. Good results will provide Domestos or White. The method of their application is simple: apply on the surface of the seam and rinse with water after 5 minutes. The best results for all types of pollution are given by means specially developed for cleaning tile joints. Among the available can be noted BOZO, Ultra-Stripper, Sif and their analogues.
A small stain is removed with a waterproof dye marker. Anti-mold remedy is powerless. Another way to get rid of uncomplicated dirt is a melamine sponge. Despite the high cost, its use justifies itself. In addition, it allows you to clean any bright surfaces, including household appliances, easily removing stains. The main thing - it is good to wash off its remnants, as it crumbles. Also, it does not hurt to rub the surface well to shine, as no divorce will decorate it, and after the sponge there will be a lot of divorces.
Than to wash the tiles on the floor with plain water, and then suffer because of its unsightly appearance, it is better to take care of its beauty immediately, using professional cosmetics.
Manual mechanical cleaning
Simple, effective, but time-consuming method. Allows by means of mechanical processing to remove the pollution of tile joints. Depending on the degree and depth of the seam lesion using mud in the following cases:
- For minor contamination - a variety of abrasive pastes and powders.
- In more difficult cases - sandpaper with fine grain.
- Another option is a kitchen scraper.
- Well-proven semicircular chisel of small diameter.
Use manual mechanical cleaning should be careful. The main thing - do not overdo it and do not erase the grout at all, because then it will have to be completely changed. Otherwise, it is better than to wash the tiles on the floor from stubborn dirt, you can quickly and efficiently.
The achievements of modern chemistry are enormous and, if the use of the tools listed above did not produce results, this does not mean that the situation has reached a dead end. Household chemistry stores offer a wide range of tile cleaning products.
The choice is up to the user who can make it based on the degree and nature of the pollution.
Recommendations for choosing:
- For the bathroom it is recommended to use bleaching and chlorine-containing products. They remove fungus and mold to the middle stage of neglect.
- The kitchen will need alkaline drugs. Produced in the form of sprays and liquids. For seams, you can use oxygen bleach, which is recommended to be diluted 1 to 2. Special markers also perform well for this task.
Steam cleaner (steam generator)
Modern technologies make their adjustments in the technology of cleaning ceramic surfaces. The use of an apparatus that generates high-pressure steam for processing the joints between ceramic tiles will make it easy to cope with all types of contamination, relieve bacteria, kill fungus and destroy mold.
A nice feature of its use is the absence of dried mud smudges and stains, preserving the integrity and structure of the grout. With a steam cleaner, you can not worry about how to remove the old glue from ceramic tiles.
Folk methods, methods, recipes
The experience of grandmothers, friends and neighbors, accumulated over decades of stubborn dirt control in the inter-tile seams, often helps in difficult times. We offer a list of the most popular and effective recipes with which the question of how to clean ceramic tiles from tile glue, grease, dirt, and stains will be removed along with the contaminants.
Mixture number 1 (lemon juice, soda, vinegar)
- 1.5 liters of boiled water (20 ° C) are poured into the container.
- Add the juice of half a small lemon, half a cup of drinking soda, a quarter cup of vinegar (9%).
- It is necessary to stir with care as as a result of connection of components the violent reaction which is followed by release of foam is observed.
- The tool is applied to the contaminated surface of the seams by rubbing.
- For work the sponge for washing of ware with a rigid party or an old toothbrush is used.
- After 20-25 minutes, the solution is washed with water and wiped with a rag.
- Evaluation of the result, which in this case will depend on the degree of contamination.
Recommendation: lemon juice can be replaced with citric acid (crystals).
Important! You can only work in rubber gloves!
Mixture number 2 (bleach, soda)
The tool is only suitable for cleaning joints with white grout! Contains chlorine, therefore it is allowed to work only in rubber gloves and in a respirator (gauze bandage).
For the preparation of the solution is recommended to use household bleach "White" and ordinary baking soda.
- Focusing on the total area of the joints to be cleaned, the bleach is poured into the container for preparing the mixture and, gradually stirring, add soda until the mixture becomes thick sour cream.
- A spatula is applied to the finished mixture on the seams and left to dry completely.
- For washing the remnants of the mixture and cleaning the seams using a kitchen sponge or brush.
- The tool copes with mold and brightening seams.
Mixture number 3 (baking soda, mustard, lemon, soda, tooth powder)
The following ingredients will be needed for 1 liter of water:
- Mustard (powder) - 1 tbsp.
- Lemon juice - from 1/3 of the fruit.
- Baking soda - 0.5 cups.
- Tooth powder (paste) - 1 tsp.
All components are combined in containers and mix thoroughly. The mixture is rubbed over contaminated seams (using a sponge). Leave for half an hour, then rinse with warm water.
Ammonia solution (ammonia)
The simplest and most effective means of dealing with fresh mold. It is also a good antimicrobial drug. Prepare a solution of 2 liters of water and a tablespoon of ammonia. It is sprayed with a sprayer over the entire surface of the tile and the seams. After 20-25 minutes, the tile is wiped from the remnants of the mixture and dirt.
In particularly difficult cases, when the defeat of tile joints with mold or fungus has gone so far that neither professional nor folk remedies help, only two options remain:
- Completely remove the old tile, treat the surfaces with anti-fungal agents and lay the new tile in compliance with all the technologies,
- Remove all grout from infected joints, treat with an anti-fungus agent, wipe the joints with fresh grout, cover with a protective layer to prevent re-infection.
Both in the first and in the second case it makes sense to use the services of professional master-tilers. Pleasure is not cheap, but the result is guaranteed. The main thing is to check the removal of the glue, so as not to suffer, how to remove the old tile glue from the tile.
If this is not possible, and only the second option is available for independent execution, we recommend that you consider the following tips:
- Use a scraper, a painting knife, a chisel or a power tool - a drill, a screwdriver, an electric wheel, a grinder.
- Safety rules above all! Work with power tools should be only in protective glasses and a mask.
- To soften the grout is suitable weak acetic solution.
Clearing the joints between tiles and choosing the means to achieve the best results requires knowledge and understanding of the characteristics of each type of tile.
- Do not use products that contain acid when working with glazed tiles. Frosting will fade and lose its shine.
- Concentrated acids and bases should not be used to clean glass mosaics and tiles.
- Matte tiles without glaze after cleaning the seams need washing and applying a layer of protective mastic.
- Epoxy-based groutings have increased strength and resistance to mold and fungi, which justifies their use for tiling of tile joints on floors.
In order not to ask questions about how to clean the seams quickly or how to remove the glue from the tile, it is better to do it right away. Instant desired result will not give any means.
Seam protection from contamination
Having determined the degree of contamination, choosing a cleaning tool that is suitable for solving the problem, having successfully applied it, you should perform some more actions aimed at preserving the achieved result. To preserve the appearance of the grout tile and extend its service life use protective solutions, for example, Atlas Dolphin or similar. The application of such coatings in the future greatly facilitates the care of the surface and protects the grout. Working with protective fluids requires accuracy and accuracy. Do not allow the solution to hit the tile. For the application of protection is to use a thin brush. The application of a protective coating does not eliminate the need for regular care, and the use of professional care products will prolong the "youth" of grouting for many years.
The use of all the above methods and means of cleaning seams does not require special training and high qualification. All that is required is patience, calmness and accuracy. Do-it-yourself work will not only save a significant part of the household budget, but also give you confidence in your abilities.
Methods for cleaning surface contamination
Method number 1 - cleaning the seams with soda.
The easiest and not expensive way. To do this, you need a pack of edible soda, an old toothbrush and a large brush for cleaning the bath. Further, the procedure is as follows:
- wet the seams with water
- lavishly apply soda,
- After 1-2 minutes (when the powder gets wet), you can start working actively with a toothbrush,
- take a large brush, apply soda abundantly on its bristles, and walk around the tile to remove plaque,
- then rinse everything off with a stream of water.
Particular attention should be paid to the places where black spots formed. Sodium bicarbonate is an excellent antiseptic and destroys 100% germ of the fungus.
Method number 2 - cleaning the joints with vinegar.
- Mix soda and vinegar (9%) in equal proportions.
- Moisten all seams with a solution (sprayable with a spray gun).
- Wait 5 minutes.
- Hard brush to clean the seams.
- Rinse residues and solution with water.
Method number 3 - cleaning the seams with bleach.
For this, any cleaning agent with high chlorine content (White, Sanita, Cif, Comet or Domestos) is suitable. Further actions are as simple as in the previous versions:
- wet all seams,
- apply all the same toothbrush bleach,
- leave the agent for 10-15 minutes,
- carefully rub the seams with a brush,
- wash off with plenty of running water.
It should be noted that this method is only suitable for white grouting, in other cases, whitening agents may affect the color.
[attention type = green] Attention! When working with household chemicals, be sure to use rubber gloves, a mask and goggles. [/ Attention]
Method number 4 - cleaning the seams with special tools.
Among household chemicals there are a number of special potent tools (Silt Bang, Vex, Mildew Romanuver from sano, etc.), designed to combat plaque, mold and other types of persistent pollution that are characteristic of bathrooms. They are easy to use and eliminate the need for mechanical impact, but require compliance with certain safety measures (use of gloves, masks, etc.). How to wash the seams between the tiles?
- Pre-moisten seams with water using a sponge.
- Apply detergent to problem joints between tiles.
- Leave the agent for 5-7 minutes.
- Wash everything off with clean water.
Method number 5 - "home" Silt Bang.
A concentrated product that can be prepared at home is a real explosive mixture, but it copes well even with deep soils.
Composition: 1.5 liters of warm water, 150 g of baking soda, 100 ml of vinegar (7–9%), 25 g of citric acid.
Instruments: sponge or small brush, rubber gloves (required!).
Preparing the solution: Dissolve soda in water, pour neat citric acid and then acetic acid into liquid. All ingredients are introduced gradually to avoid too vigorous reaction as a result of mixing acids with soda.
- process the prepared seams using a brush,
- leave for 15 minutes
- repeat the treatment and leave the solution at the same time
- rinse with warm water.
[attention type = green] Attention! The remains of a concentrated solution, falling into the drain of the general sewage system can damage the rubber pads made of rubber. Therefore, before you pour the remaining mixture, it must be diluted with water (1: 3). [/ Attention]
Method number 6 - cleaning the seams with hydrogen peroxide.
Hydrogen peroxide is a good antiseptic and non-aggressive agent. This solution does not require rinsing and prevents further spread of the fungus. Of course, the problem of stubborn stains cannot be solved with this tool, but peroxide, which has recently appeared, does an excellent job.
To prepare the solution of the cleaning solution, it is necessary to mix the peroxide and water (1: 2). Treat with ready-made mortar all seams and leave to dry. No need to flush.
Method number 7 - update seams water-based paint.
If it is impossible to completely remove stains from the grouting seams, you can achieve an ideal result using a waterproof water emulsion. In this way, you can update the joints between the tiles in the bathroom, and they will look like after a recent repair. When choosing a paint, one rule should be taken into account: its color should be darker by two or even three tones of the grout itself. The day before staining, the seams need to be treated with antifungal agent (you can buy it at any hardware store). Paint is recommended to be applied in 2 or 3 layers.
When cleaning products do not help
The success of cleaning tile joints in the bathroom depends on the degree of contamination. Sometimes it is enough soda or acetic treatment, but it happens that black and gray stains remain even after careful treatment with potent agents. This means that the fungus has firmly set its roots and it is necessary to act radically.
Method number 8 - remove the top layer of grout.
To do this, you need to arm with sandpaper and gently erase the layer of putty affected by the fungus. Then the area must be treated with antifungal agent. If as a result of the removal of the top layer of grout, a noticeable depression forms between the tiles, it can be removed by applying a new layer of grout.
Method number 9 - complete removal of the old grout and applying a new one.
This is a cardinal method that will require special tools and ... male hands. Grout pick out a screwdriver or completely removed with a grinding machine or saw-grinder. The cracks formed must always be disinfected with a solvent, then primed and filled with a new grout.
Prevent mildew in the bathroom
To prevent the occurrence of mold patterns on the tile joints in the bathroom, take note of some useful tips.
- After cleaning, the seams need to be treated with a sealant - a special tool that seals the micropores. This prevents the fungus from getting into the micro grouting cracks. Liquid waterproofing can be purchased at a specialty store.
- To prevent the formation of fungus in the bathroom, you need to clean the joints between the tiles of soda twice a month.
- Prevent the accumulation of moisture between the seams, in particular at the junction between the bathroom itself and tile.
- Ventilate the bathroom regularly, and wipe the joints with a dry cloth or towel.
- Handle individual specks of fungi with a special pencil, which can be found in the departments of household chemicals. The pencil contains in its composition special substances that kill mold and fungus.
- Wash the bathroom need weekly, wet cleaning with ammonia or vinegar will be enough to remove the spores of the fungus and germs.
Causes of pollution
Before you begin to describe the means of pollution control between the seams, it is necessary to understand the reasons for their occurrence.
Dirt between the tiles on the floor appears for the following reasons:
- Particles of building and finishing materials fall into the cracks during repairs, both in the bathroom and in other rooms.
- The cause of pollution can be residues of detergents, as well as particles of dirt from the water, which washed the tile. After the moisture dries, all the rubbish remains in the joints and is pressed.
- Compressed dust can also cause severe pollution and darkening of the seams.
- The fungus in the tile joints creates not only the appearance of a dirty floor, but also causes an unpleasant odor indoors.
Выбирать конкретный способ очищения швов следует в зависимости от причины их загрязнений. Стоит также отметить, что часто швы темнеют просто от времени, например, когда плитка не менялась более 10 лет. Но во всех этих случаях полы можно реанимировать одними и теми же методами.
Necessary means and tools
Of course, that cleaned contaminated floors should not be barehanded.
Therefore, in advance it is necessary to stock up the following items:
- floor cloth,
- tough old brushing teeth,
- broom for sweeping the floor:
- some rags:
- clean warm water
- hydrogen peroxide,
- vinegar or citrus juice,
- mustard powder,
- bleaching agent with particles of abrasive,
- small metal stiff sponge
- old small knife.
To clean the seams, not all of these items may be needed, but only a part of them. The choice of a specific method of purification should be chosen on the basis of what led to the appearance of dirt in the seams.
It all depends on the choice of a specific method of purification, but it is better to keep all the items at hand.
Usually after carrying out repairs between the tiles there may remain particles of a cement mix, paint, lime or varnish.
The sequence of actions in these cases will be as follows:
- Warm the tiles with warm, clean water and dry them.
- Determine the number of spots and their origin.
- If cement stains, they must be carefully cleaned with a knife or blade.
- In all other cases, the solvent or kerosene is diluted with water in a 2: 1 ratio and the solution is copiously applied to the stain. In this form, leave for a couple of minutes, and then intensively scrub.
- If the pollution is poorly erased, then you can use a metal float.
- After that, the polluted place is again thoroughly wiped with a damp cloth and clean water, after which it is dried.
- If the seams are heavily soiled, steps 4 to 6 can be repeated once more.
Using this method of cleaning, it is worth remembering that not all tiles can be cleaned with aggressive agents. Therefore, to get started is to read the manufacturer's recommendations. It is also necessary to scrub the dirt very carefully, in order not only not to damage the tile itself, but also the seams between it.
Work on cleansing the seams involve the use of fairly aggressive means. Therefore, it will not be superfluous to use gloves and face masks.
If the seams between the tiles need to be cleaned from ordinary dirt, then you can resort to the traditional methods used by our grandmothers.
Such cleaning options, despite their simplicity, are very effective:
- Using baking soda and lemon juice can not only remove dirt, but also whiten the seams. In this case, the space between the tiles on the floor is slightly wetted with water and quite abundantly filled with soda. In this state, the seams are left for 10 minutes. Then, using a conventional sponge or cloth, wipe them thoroughly, remove excess soda, and in its place lemon juice is poured, which is washed off with water in a couple of minutes. Usually two or three repetitions of such a procedure are enough to completely clean the seams.
- Ammonia, diluted in warm water, also allows you to remove almost any kind of dirt. To do this, 100 ml of alcohol is diluted in 1.5 liters of water and applied to the place of pollution for 20 minutes. After that, carefully wipe with a sponge and rinse with warm water.
- Toothpaste with a whitening effect also perfectly helps to clean the joints between the floor tiles. A small amount of it is applied to an old toothbrush and rubbed with intensive movements, then washed off with water. If desired, the paste can be exchanged for kitchen scouring powder.
- If you mix in equal proportions mustard powder and baking soda, you can get an excellent detergent. Having added to it a little water, we receive paste which we put on seams with a sponge. Then carefully three places of pollution and wash off with clean water.
These methods of cleaning the joints between the tiles on the floor are the most environmentally friendly, low cost and effective. It should be understood that it is not always possible to remove all the dirt at once in one cleaning session.
In some cases, three consecutive cleaning procedures may be required.
If you do not have the ability and desire to use the old methods of cleaning, you can resort to modern methods of purification:
- Steamer. Not surprising, but judging by the reviews, the intense effect of hot steam on the seams can remove many of the contaminants. This method is best suited in cases where the dirt is small and it is fresh.
- Cleansing marker pen is one of the most modern cleaning methods. To use such a pencil is simple - all that is needed is to paint over the seams. At the same time, not only the dirt disappears, but the seams themselves look new. This invention allows you to clean and update the seams between the tiles immediately.
- Oxygen bleach. This tool is diluted in warm water to the consistency of a slurry and applied to dirt for half an hour. Then shovchiki carefully wiped with a damp sponge, and then the tile was washed completely.
- Bleaching gelssuch as “White” is often used not only to remove dirt between the seams, but also to disinfect and whiten the tile itself. The gel is diluted with water, applied to the dirt and left for a couple of minutes, then washed off with water.
All these methods of cleaning the seams of floor tiles are certainly good and effective only if the cause of the pollution is not a fungus.
How to remove the fungus?
But if the cause of contaminated seams is not in the dust and residues of detergents, but in the mold, you should use a few other methods:
- If it has just begun to appear, then you can prepare yourself a disinfectant from a bleaching gel and liquid ammonia with water. To do this, mix 100 g of "Whiteness" and 50 g of ammonia. This solution is poured into a liter of hot water, and then sprayed onto the fungus with a spray and left for half an hour. After this time, the seams are wiped with a damp sponge and washed with warm water. Then once again wash with water, but with the addition of vinegar in it per liter of water 100 g of 9% vinegar.
- If the mold appeared long ago or appears regularly and progresses, then it can be cleaned only by a radical method. To do this, the seams between the tiles are cleaned with a scraper and treated with a special antiseptic, which can be purchased at a plumbing store or pharmacy. After it is completely dry, the seams are sealed again and again treated with an antiseptic solution.
Clean the joints between the floor tiles of the fungus should be timely. Otherwise, the mold will start to grow and may not only disfigure the entire room, but also cause serious harm to health.
Cleaning the joints between the tiles on the floor is a necessary and responsible exercise, but even it can be done with pleasure. Choosing traditional cleansing methods, you can add essential oils of tea tree or lemon to water. They not only allow the air to be nourished with a pleasant aroma, but also are additional fighters with mold and fungus.
The joints between the tiles - grout options
Before proceeding to the direct question of cleaning the joints between the tiles, first of all, you should study the materials that are used in the process of grouting.
All formulations that are used during grouting are divided into two main types:
1. The mixes having a cement basis.
They appear as a powdered filler, which is diluted with water or latex. Inexperienced professionals work with mixtures that contain Portland cement substances. This grout is quite elastic and easy to work. In addition, it easily fills the narrowest seams.
For breeding this kind of mixture is used respirator and goggles. Since there is a risk of getting the mixture in the eyes or the appearance of allergies.
There are cement-based mixtures in a ready-to-use form. This material is also convenient at work, except that its cost is much higher. Therefore, it is practically not common in the construction industry.
When self-mixing the mixture, it is recommended to strictly follow all instructions given by the manufacturer. If this is not done, then too liquid solution, after drying, will spread and form cracks. The use of too thick mortar is fraught with the fact that the mass is not able to fill all the butt areas, so the tightness between the tiles is broken.
2. Grout, which is based on the use of epoxy resin.
This mixture has the highest strength and adhesive properties, besides the percentage of its moisture absorption is almost zero. It is used in the process of grouting the joints between tiles installed on the pool surface, in the bathroom, in the bathhouses, in the facade areas of the building, in rooms with high performance characteristics.
The use of such a grout requires a person performing the work of extreme caution and scrupulousness. Since special efforts will be required to remove excess material, there is a risk of damage to the tile itself.
In the composition of the grout there is an epoxy resin and a special hardener, which fixes it on the surface. It is sold in different packaging and mixed with the main formulations before starting work. The finished mass is not intended for long-term storage.
The joints between the tiles in the bathroom - cleansing with chemistry
Before proceeding to the consideration of the means by which the tile is cleaned, a few words should be said about the rules for caring for it. If they are not followed, the tile will serve its owners for a short period of time and lose its appearance.
Despite the fact that ceramic tiles are highly durable and resistant to various kinds of impacts, there are a number of rules for its operation:
- abrasive cleaners or a metal brush are not suitable for cleaning a glossy tile; even if there are minor scratches, the original gloss is lost,
- Chemical compositions based on the use of acid can easily damage the joints between the tiles on the floor,
- to improve the strength of the seams, it is recommended to use epoxy-based paint, it helps to improve their resistance to a wet environment,
- in the process of washing the tiles, you should rely solely on specialized tools that are designed for cleaning ceramic tiles, the use of other types of means is unacceptable,
- do not use cleaning products that contain pumice, sand, grease solvents in the form of soap,
- if it becomes necessary to remove all sorts of dirt, then for this purpose use a soft bristle brush that cannot remove the coating on the tile,
- To wash matte tiles, use specially designed emulsions; after washing, it is covered with wax mastic, which makes its color more expressive.
To buy money with the help of which it will be possible to clean the joints between the tiles, it is enough to contact any hardware store. There is a huge amount of cleaning products designed to clean the tile and the joints between it.
Chemicals are characterized by such advantages:
- the ability to remove mineral deposits,
- effective fight with unpleasant smell,
- protection against harmful microorganisms, bacteria and microbes,
- the use of aromatic additives fills the room with a pleasant smell.
Note that each type of tile has its own characteristics, which determine the type of cleaning agent used in the process of washing it. Before using this or that composition, you should read the instructions from the manufacturer well.
For example, if for washing ceramic tiles to use a solution in which there is chalk, but on the surface there will be stains, to get rid of which is very difficult.
Do not use chemicals immediately. First try to get rid of the dirt with a soft brush and water. If the desired effect was not achieved, then resort to more radical methods.
An excellent tool in this matter is a powder mixture "Pemolyuks". To apply it, use the same brush, which is wetted first in water and then in powder. In this case, it is better to wear rubber gloves. After applying the composition, it is recommended to wait about ten minutes, and then clean all seams with a brush.
Next, the powder is gradually washed off and the surface once again pass with a brush. If the desired effect is not achieved, the procedure is repeated.
The application of this method is important if the tile has a small pollution.
How to clean the seams between tiles folk remedies
If the tile is too dirty, it is recommended to resort to using soda, for this, you will need to perform a number of actions:
- moisten the surface of the tile,
- apply soda with a sponge,
- wipe the surface of the tile to get rid of dirt
- Do not press the surface too hard, as there is a risk of tile damage.
Bleach helps to make the tile and the seams between it white and shining:
- dilute the lime with water to obtain a liquid mass,
- using a spray gun, apply the solution to the surface,
- after seven minutes, wipe the tiles with a damp cloth.
Tip: use a mask when performing this method of cleaning, as there is a risk of an unpleasant smell. Although the positive point of such a cleaning is the fact that between the seams all the mold and pathogenic bacteria are destroyed.
The use of acetic acid will help to cope with persistent dirt between the seams of the tile. To clean the seam between the tiles, follow the instructions:
- apply the vinegar essence using a spray gun
- using a brush, distribute the vinegar on the surface of the joint,
- after 7 minutes, rinse the vinegar with a damp cloth.
Note that acetic acid is not used in pure form. It is diluted in a ratio of 1.5 tablespoons to 500 ml of water. It is recommended to use this method first before applying bleach, as cleaning with vinegar is more gentle and harmless for both the tile and the skin of the person doing the cleaning.
Another popular method of cleaning the joints between tiles is citric acid. To do this, follow these steps:
- take a sponge and wet it with water
- slightly squeeze the sponge and dip it in citric acid,
- after 3 minutes, rinse the solution off the surface.
The width of the seams between the tiles does not affect the use of one or another method of processing. In addition, it is necessary to take into account the fact that after applying any of the above methods of cleaning, it is necessary to wash the solution and wipe the tile dry.
Another popular method of cleaning tiles involves a combination of the above methods. To prepare the solution will need to mix in a metal container:
- 3 glasses of water
- 0.25 cup soda,
- 0.15 acetic essence,
- 0.15 citric acid.
Wear gloves to work with the cleaner. This substance is quite aggressive, so you need to work with it quickly. To clean, use a toothbrush or sponge.
Apply the compound to all seams and wait ten minutes. Use clean water to flush the surface. It is preferable to perform the procedure at least twice. With this solution it is easy to get rid of even the most difficult of pollution.
How to clean the joints between the tiles in the bathroom mechanical method
To use this cleaning method, you will not need to go to the store to buy chemicals or to prepare mixtures based on popular recipes.
It is enough to have sandpaper at home. It is with its help that the seams are cleaned. Only special attention should be paid to the tile, it is unacceptable to scratch it with paper, as there is a risk of damage to the appearance of the coating. This option is fast and easy to do.
After cleaning all the seams, they are treated with water, and then wipe the tiles dry.
In addition to sandpaper use a toothbrush, sponge, scraper for dishes. This option is suitable for a small kind of pollution. In addition, as an addition to this method, it is recommended to apply detergent to the tile.
In response to the question of how to clean the joints between tiles without the use of chemical and folk remedies, the best option would be to use a sponge, which is based on melamine foam. This material is durable, but at the same time soft. It will easily penetrate into any pores, remove all stains and dirt without the use of chemicals.
To apply the melamine sponge requires only water, while the less effort is made to wash, the higher the efficiency of the process. This sponge helps to wash not only the joints between the tiles, but also does an excellent job with cleaning plumbing fixtures, sinks, bathtubs, mirrors, etc.
Removing grout from tile joints
If all the above methods of cleaning the surface between the seams of tile did not help, then you should resort to more radical methods. Если через некоторое время после чистки затирка все равно потемнела, то на ее поверхности поселились грибообразные бактерии. Главной их особенностью является наличие характерных темных пятен на поверхности швов.
Для закрашивания данных мест используется специальный кроющий фломастер. Именно с его помощью скрываются проблемные участки.
In addition, there are a number of tools designed to update the seams. To purchase them, contact the specialized store. If there is a more serious kind of contamination that leads to the crumbling of the grout during washing, you should resort to opening this material.
For these purposes, the use of grinders or grinders is recommended.
Tip: Before you start work, you should remove furniture and other objects from the room, since a large amount of dust will be released during the opening process.
The procedure is carried out with special care to avoid damage to the tile itself. After the first passage, all joints are wiped with a damp cloth, and then the procedure is repeated once more. If the emery wheel failed to remove certain areas, you should use sandpaper. Next, the seams are treated with a solvent and a primer. A new grout is applied to the surface.
In specialized stores there are tools that are designed to protect the joints between the tiles. For the procedure of their application requires a lot of time and effort. Therefore, these tools are used very rarely. After all the seams have dried, they are treated with a protective composition. For these purposes, use a small brush. It is not recommended to apply the solution on the tile, as it destroys its integrity. In case of contact, wipe it immediately with a piece of cloth.
In order not to remove the grout completely, you should ensure that the tile is properly cared for. Once a month, the joints should be wiped with a stiff brush and warm water. Thus, it will be possible to preserve the pristine nature of their appearance for many years.
Preparation for cleaning
Cleaning the seams from contamination is not very difficult if you carry out preparation activities and prepare the necessary tools in advance.
- It is necessary to remove from the room the extra items that can interfere with work.
- Remove all shelves, hooks, cabinets from the walls, remove movable furniture from the floor.
- In particularly difficult cases, you have to remove the sink or toilet from the bathroom and the stove from the kitchen.
It is important to remember about personal protective equipment. It is necessary to purchase safety glasses, a respirator, durable household gloves.
Methods for cleaning seams
To clean the grout, it produces products that prolong its life and protect against the appearance of harmful fungi - MELLERUD, ECO MIST, HG.
Acquisition of a domestic steamer pays off due to savings on household chemicals. Steam generator eliminates chemicals.
So that the moisture does not accumulate in the seams, it is best to wipe the tiles with a special absorbent cloth made using biofiber technology.
Bathrooms, bath rooms and pools always have high humidity and are often susceptible to the formation of mold. Colonies of fungi are able to penetrate into the inner layers of porous materials. Mold is not susceptible to simple detergents, you cannot get rid of it with soap. For effective cleansing it is necessary to use deep penetration agents containing anti-fungal components in their composition.
In a room like a toilet, pollution is caused by particles of dust or dirt. Such troubles are easily eliminated with standard detergents. It is better to choose drugs that contain components against bacteria in their composition. A little physical effort to wipe off the pollution, and the bathroom will shine clean.
The specificity of pollution in the kitchen are greasy stains. They are formed from splashes that appear in the process of cooking, frying, boiling. To combat the fat is best suited means containing surfactants in its composition. They break down fats, facilitate the removal of dirt.
Remove mold and fungus
Avoiding an unpleasant neighborhood with mold will help the way with a full sweep of the seams between the tiles, i.e. careful removal of the grout. For this you need to invite a specialist who will do everything correctly and quickly.
Having completely removed all grouting, it is necessary to thoroughly treat all joints and gaps with an antifungal disinfectant. After complete drying of the surface, repeat the treatment. Completes the grouting procedure with fresh mortar.
- Before using antifungal solutions, you must read the instructions for it. At reproduction of a fungus preliminary processing of the affected surfaces is required.
- After removing the dirt, the cloth that was used must be burned or thrown away.
- Then the area of infection must be dried with a building dryer. It is necessary to remember about the dry air regime for the entire period of the anti-fungal cleansing procedure.
- Dried places must be carefully and abundantly treated with antifungal medication.
Copper sulfate and chlorine-containing substances are often used in the fight against mold. They remove the fungus in the bathroom from the seams and joints on the tile.
- Vitriol. 1 to 10 is added to water, i.e. 10 g of substance is shed into 1 liter of water. The resulting solution is applied with a sponge on the tile surface to be cleaned, intermediate joints are treated with vitriol with an old toothbrush or hard brush. In those areas where there are multiple black fungal spots, it is necessary to apply the solution 2-3 times. After a few hours, the surface is brushed, rinsed with water, dried, and the room ventilated.
- Chlorine bleach. The exposure time of the substance is a few minutes, the procedure can be repeated. After flushing with water, the room must be well ventilated.
Industrial production tools designed to fight black fungal plaque and mold:
- impregnation snowball
- PS 50
- Titan Fungtsid.
The effectiveness of these funds is due to the content in them of fungicides, substances that have a detrimental effect on fungi and their spores.
Protection of seams against mold and mildew
The best protection against the formation of mold seams are preventive measures that have become a good habit and are carried out on a regular basis. The prevention of the formation of fungal spots in the interdigital spaces includes the following measures:
- The maintenance of faucets and water pipes in good condition.
- Timely elimination of condensate and the reasons for its occurrence.
- Drying laundry on the balcony, not in the bathroom.
- Maintain exhaust ventilation in working condition.
- Use a fan with exhaust function.
- Keep clean and dry washing machine.
- After using the shower, it should be kept open.
- Regular cleaning of the bathroom with the use of antifungal agents.
- Periodic inspection of all corners of the bathroom for the formation of mold.
- Frequent airing of the room.
Remove grout from tile
Remove the grout from the tile with vinegar:
- Wet the grout with a 1: 1 solution of water and vinegar. This will soften the composition and facilitate its removal.
- Intensively rub the abrasive side of the soft sponge.
If the tile has a rough surface, then after applying the vinegar solution, the trowel on it will have to be brushed with a soft bristle brush, observing the tile coating.
At the stage of the initial appearance of pollution or the formation of mold, correcting the situation does not take much time and effort.
- Timely clean tile from dirt.
- Treat with a protective preparation that prevents penetration of dirt into the ground, the spores of the fungus.
- On sale there are tools for processing joints immediately after grouting. Careful application of saturated acid to the seam will protect it for a long time.
If at the stage of repair to make a choice in favor of large tiles, it will reduce the number of seams, and such a surface will be less dirty and easier to clean.
Maintaining the cleanliness and dryness of tiled surfaces prevents the formation of deposits and deposits in the joints between the tiles and prolongs the life of these finishing materials. And regular airing is a guarantee of freshness and cleanliness.