Underwater massage or hydromassage is a unique procedure that involves exposure to jets of water. A person plunges into a bath, and the masseur directs a hose onto his body, from which water flows under a rather high pressure. The jets fall on the body, but they do not injure the tissue, since their strength is partly extinguished by the water with which the bath is filled.
There is a general massage, in which the impact is on the whole body (except for some zones), as well as local, in which the jets are sent only to a certain area.
Salt solutions, essential oils, wine, algae and so on can be added to the water with which the bath is filled. And all these tools also have a positive effect on the body and enhance the effect of the procedure.
What effect does the body have?
Hydro massage affects in several directions at once:
- Water relaxes, normalizes the work of the nervous system, relieves tension, eliminates pain in joints and muscles after increased exertion.
- Essential oils have a relaxing effect, nourish and moisturize the skin and also have a regenerating and anti-inflammatory effect.
- Sea salt, which is often used during the procedure, removes dead skin cells and normalizes the water balance of the epidermis.
- The impact of a jet of water significantly speeds up blood circulation and blood supply to the tissues, which leads to the normalization of metabolic processes and to the stimulation of normal tissue regeneration.
- At high pressure jets begin to break down fat cells, so that the hydromassage is useful for cellulite and weight loss.
- Hydromassage helps eliminate edema.
- This procedure will help rejuvenate the skin and improve its condition by stimulating the production of elastin and collagen.
- Salt and algae contribute to the elimination of toxins and slags from the body.
- Underwater massage has a tonic and tonic effect.
In what cases will be useful?
Underwater massage has the following indications:
- decreased immunity, frequent infections,
- metabolic disorders
- varicose veins (early stages)
- depression, neurosis, apathy, increased nervous irritability, mood swings, sleep problems and other similar conditions,
- some diseases or disorders of the nervous system,
- recent injuries
- diseases of the musculoskeletal system, disruption of his work,
- muscular system diseases
- some diseases of the cardiovascular system, such as hypertension, vascular dystonia,
- diseases of the digestive tract,
- flabbiness of the skin, deterioration of its condition,
- diseases of the lymphatic system
- stretch marks, scars,
Is it bad?
Underwater massage has some contraindications:
- skin diseases in the acute stage,
- varicose veins (in the last stages),
- thrombosis, thrombophlebitis,
- acute infections
- feverish conditions
- disorders of cerebral circulation,
- oncological diseases,
- cardiovascular diseases: hypertension of III degree, ischemia, myocardial infarction,
- urolithiasis disease,
- exacerbation of chronic diseases.
How is the procedure?
How do underwater body massage? The procedure takes place in several stages:
- First, the patient is immersed in a bath filled with water (probably with the addition of essential oils or other components). First, for 5-10 minutes, he just lies, relaxes and gets used. Water temperature is about 30-35 degrees.
- The next stage is body preparation. In the bath there are special nozzles through which thin streams are fed. They warm up the body, prepare it for full impact.
- Then the massage therapist proceeds directly to the procedure. He uses a special hose. Changing nozzles, you can adjust the direction of the jet and its pressure. The technique of hydromassage is about the same as with conventional manual massage. So, usually the back is treated first, then the upper arm, then the back of the legs, then the front of the legs, then the abdomen and chest, and then the arms. The jet should be in the direction from the center of the zone to its edges. There are areas that are not affected, and these include the genitals, the female mammary glands, the head, the face, and the region of the heart. First, light stroking is carried out, then a more intense effect begins. The water supplied from the hose can have either the same temperature as the water in the bath or be cooler, which makes it possible to enhance the effect due to the contrast effect and temperature difference. Usually, zones with increased sensitivity (abdomen, inner thighs) are treated with a jet with low pressure (no more than 1-1.5 atmospheres). Pressure on the remaining areas can reach 3-4 atmospheres.
The session lasts an average of 20-60 minutes. To achieve a therapeutic effect, it is recommended to undergo 15-20 procedures. In this case, the massage therapist can gradually increase the pressure of the jet.
Many are interested in how to do a hydromassage at home. A full procedure without special equipment will not be possible. But you can just relax in the bathroom, and then, connecting the hose to the tap, massage the body. Instead of a hose, you can use an ordinary shower, but at the same time the water pressure should be quite strong.
The price of one procedure of underwater massage is about 400-700 rubles.
Many who have undergone a course of procedures were satisfied. Underwater massage really perfectly relieves tension and relaxes, normalizes sleep. In addition, some noted a decrease in weight and a noticeable improvement in the skin and shape.
Let the underwater massage give beauty and health!
What is the benefit of underwater massage?
Where are these procedures performed? Medical and health institutions, spa resorts, as well as beauty salons represent a wide range of water procedures.
Course intake of underwater massage:
- activates the metabolism
- improves blood circulation, lymph flow,
- boosts immunity
- reduces pain, restores the nervous system,
- normalizes hormones,
- increases blood pressure, muscle tone when using hot water,
- enhances the hypotensive effect when using cool water,
- improves the processes of tissue regeneration, the tone of the skin muscles, the skin of the body becomes elastic, elastic,
- reduces puffiness of legs,
- removes toxins from the body
- restores sleep, improves stress resistance of the body.
Despite the positive effect, underwater massage has its indications and contraindications.
Dr. Bubnovsky: “A cheap product # 1 to restore normal blood supply to the joints.” Helps with the treatment of bruises and injuries. The back and joints will be like at the age of 18, just smear it once a day. "
Who can take a hydromassage
Underwater shower-massage has indications for use in the following diseases:
- rehabilitation after surgery and injuries, with osteochondrosis, painful lesions of the joints, gout, radiculitis, ankylosing spondylitis,
- heart disease, respiratory system, peripheral nervous system,
- polio with muscular paresis,
- painful menopause, menstrual disorders, vascular dystonia, hypertension, stage 1,
- with metabolic disorders, cellulite, high body mass,
- with insomnia, stressful situations, chronic fatigue syndrome, nerve overload,
- in sexual disorders,
- recovery after surgery
- with body shaping to restore skin turgor.
Who is contraindicated for hydrotherapy
The main contraindications are diseases of the cardiovascular system, hypertension at stages 2 and 3.
Water procedures are not prescribed to persons with pronounced varicose veins of the legs, with impaired blood circulation in the brain, patients with urolithiasis. You should not assign the underwater procedure to cancer patients, people with skin diseases, as well as people with mental disorders. For what other category of persons is underwater massage a contraindication? Pregnant women, children and adolescents, the elderly.
The use of aqua massage is noted in the last century in Germany. How is hydromassage done? Classic manual underwater massage is performed using the following movements: stroking, rubbing, vibration and kneading. The massager is a stream of water, fed through a special nozzle. The intensity of the water depends on the goal and the diameter of the nozzle.
Underwater hydromassage shower is common (a person is completely immersed in a container with water) or local (lowers part of the body). Thermal exposure is warm (water temperature 37-39 ° C), hot (temperature 40 ° C). Adding infusions of herbs, vegetable oils and salt improves the therapeutic effect.
Carrying out the procedure
The patient is placed in a hydromassage pool. Water jet under pressure is directed to the patient. The nozzles have different thickness and shape, allowing you to change the intensity of the water supply and the angle of inclination.
The procedure consists of the following steps:
- Training. The patient plunges into the whirlpool, relaxes for 5 minutes.
- Carrying out the procedure for the planned program.
The procedure is carried out according to the classic rules of massage.
With a maximum water pressure, only lower and upper limbs can be massaged. The remaining parts of the body require minimal exposure at a distance of 15-20 cm from the skin. The 90 ° jet of water has the most powerful effect on the fabric. The abdominal region is massaged only clockwise. The force of the water is controlled by the tip thickness and feed angle.
An important contraindication is not to direct the water jet to the chest and genital areas.
Assigns an underwater massage to the doctor, based on the indications for use and the diagnosis. The duration of the water treatment varies from 10 to 30 minutes, is carried out on doctor's prescription every day or every other day.
As a rule, to obtain a health effect, the patient must take at least 15-30 water sessions. Underwater shower-massage is contraindicated in the days when other water and thermal prescriptions of the doctor, as well as ultraviolet light, are performed.
During the procedure, warm water relaxes the muscle tissue, water jets massage the tissues painlessly. In this state, it is possible to carry out a deeper underwater massage, which increases blood circulation, lymphostasis, as a result, the metabolism in the cells increases, leading to a decrease in inflammation processes.
This technique has a mild effect on the skin. The angle of water supply is 35-45 °, the water pressure is from 1 to 1.5 atmospheres. The masseur, folding one hand gutter, slowly advances the tip at a distance of 1 to 10 cm from the skin. Such manipulation helps to regulate the pressure of the water flow, resulting in a soft glide over the body.
- The strongest reception at an underwater massage shower is rubbing. The jet is directed perpendicular to the skin. Water pressure from 2 to 4 atm. Actions: circular movements along the massage lines. The flow rate of the jet is regulated by the left hand.
According to the technique and the effect on the muscles - this is the strongest reception. Actions: seize muscle tissue with the hand, lift it above the skin and supply a stream of water to it. Circular motion vertically and horizontally. The intensity of the water pressure is directly related to the massaging area of the skin. The distance of the nozzle from the skin is from 5 to 10 cm.
Rhythmic changes in the distance from the hand of the masseur to the patient’s body with an interval of 10 to 60 cm form vibrational movements. This technique has a powerful effect on the patient’s nervous system.
After a course of treatment with hydromassage, the patient's overall well-being improves. The nervous system is strengthened, full sleep is restored. Headache, osteo-articular pain decreases. Patients are less tired from stress (mental and physical). Reduced swelling in the legs. Cosmetic changes are noted. Postoperative scars become less noticeable. The skin acquires elasticity, smoothness, becomes silky. The phenomena of cellulitis disappear, body weight decreases from 2 to 5 kg. Strengthening metabolic processes in the body reduces the level of cholesterol in the blood.
Underwater shower massage is the most pleasant and useful procedure for the human body.
However, there are a number of diseases and conditions when its use is harmful. Therefore, the procedure is recommended to be prescribed by a doctor.
What is the essence of the procedure?
Underwater massage shower (indications and contraindications will be described in the article) resembles being at sea in its action. During this procedure, the body of the patient is immersed in a bath of water, after which an underwater massage is performed with the help of a special shower, which has many different nozzles. The underwater massage shower (its indications and contraindications make it an almost perfect cosmetic and therapeutic procedure) combines several effects on the body at once:
- therapeutic bath (by adding to it various decoctions of herbs or preparations allows to solve many skin problems),
- exposure to water massage.
This combination can significantly increase the amount of therapeutic properties of this procedure.
One of the advantages is that this procedure can be carried out at home. To do this, it is enough to install a hot tub or a jacuzzi in your own bathroom, if financial resources allow But it is worth remembering that the therapeutic effect that this procedure offers at home is unlikely to be achieved.
There are also indications and contraindications for the underwater shower massage. That is why it is better to apply to specialized resorts or health centers. And do it better after a full examination. In such institutions, an underwater massage shower (indications and contraindications allow it to be carried out to all segments of the population) is carried out by specialists. It can be both the main method of therapy and supplement the main treatment.
Underwater massage shower: indications and contraindications, reviews
Like any other procedure, underwater massage has certain indications and contraindications. Let's start with the beneficial effects of such a procedure as an underwater massage shower (indications and contraindications are indicated in this article). Water has a beneficial effect on the relaxation of the body completely and muscles. That is why this procedure is recommended for pathologies of blood and lymph circulation, metabolism. Also readings are:
- depression, asthenia, sleep problems, chronic fatigue syndrome, constant stress and nerve loads,
- diseases of the cardiovascular system, as well as hypertension,
- violations in the central and peripheral nervous system,
- ankylosing spondylitis (inflammation of the intervertebral joints),
- Cerebral palsy,
- obesity of any degree, cellulite, gout and other metabolic disorders,
- muscle paresis, which is the result of polio,
- diseases of the gastrointestinal tract,
- reduced immunity
- diseases of the musculoskeletal system, in particular, arthralgia, osteochondrosis, arthritis and arthrosis, sciatica, myalgia, various kinds of motility disorders and other similar pathologies,
- increased physical stress, as well as athletic overload,
- lymphatic and venous insufficiency, varicose veins, trophic ulcers,
- sexual disorders.
Massage in the fight against cellulite
On the feasibility of massage is still recommended to consult with a specialist who, on the basis of a full examination, will decide whether he needs it or not, because it has a shower massage underwater indications and contraindications, the benefits usually exceed the harm. Numerous reviews confirm this. According to many patients who have undergone this procedure in order to correct the figure, the results were noticeable after several visits. In particular, the effect occurred on the skin, which became smoother and firmer, less flabby, and cellulite was practically eliminated.
Underwater massage shower: indications and contraindications, benefits
Despite the safety of the procedure, she has some limitations that cannot be ignored. In particular, an underwater massage shower (indications and contraindications should be taken into account) should not be carried out in case of exacerbation of any chronic disease, bouts of fever, infectious diseases, including skin injuries.
All these contraindications are relative and after their removal, the procedure of underwater massage can be safely continued.
However, there are absolute contraindications, in which there is no way this procedure can be performed, because massage can only aggravate the situation. These contraindications are:
- гипертоническая болезнь,
- ишемическая болезнь сердца,
- онкологические заболевания,
- склонность к формированию тромбов,
- перенесенные инсульты,
- urolithiasis disease.
Since there are conditions of the body in which this procedure is contraindicated, it can be performed only after consulting a doctor and in specialized rooms that are licensed for this type of activity. Such a license must also be held by a specialist who conducts the procedure.
The effect of the underwater shower on the body
It is worth remembering that the underwater massage has underwater indications and contraindications, the effect is still more positive, since it is commensurate with the manual massage both in intensity and effect. The special impact of moving water copes with excess weight, accelerates the movement of lymph and blood throughout the body. As a result, the outflow of exchange products is accelerated. Also improves the oxygen supply of the cells of the organs.
So, we have disassembled that underwater indications and contraindications have a shower-massage. The technique of conducting it is such that after the procedure, the patient does not feel any pain or fatigue, which a person will certainly have if he prefers to lead a sedentary lifestyle. With this effect, you can relax the muscles, bring the figure in order, and not just throw a few pounds, but also correct the outlines. Also, it can be used for several procedures to remove the hated "orange peel", because it uses sea salt, which directly affects the subcutaneous adipose tissue.
Warm water activates the movement of blood through the vessels, which speeds up the process of removing toxins from the body.
Types of massage
In addition, there are several subspecies of this massage, and therefore, the effect on the body may differ:
- with essential oils: relieves fatigue, soothes nerves, fights cellulite,
- with sea water: the fight against cellulite - the main purpose of such a bath, as well as improving the effectiveness of local drugs,
- with mineral water: replenishes the mineral balance in body tissues, in particular, the fatty layer, muscles and skin, which is especially useful after childbirth.
Features of the procedure
Underwater massage is carried out as follows. The person is immersed in a bath that is filled with water. Usually, sea salt is added to it, but this component is optional. Also can add essential oils, herbal decoctions.
After putting a person in the water, he gets used to the water temperature for five minutes. From this the body begins to relax. After that, the massage therapist begins to massage the body with a water jet, which is supplied from a special hose under pressure. Various nozzles allow you to change the intensity and focus of the impact on a particular area of the body. Water pressure and temperature can be changed as desired.
The effect of the massage is enhanced due to the fact that the body relaxes under the influence of warm water, which means that it more willingly perceives the mechanical effect of the jet.
Despite the fact that it has a shower massage underwater indications and contraindications, the procedure is considered practically safe. After it, the skin can be replaced with redness, but they are barely noticeable and disappear within a short period of time independently. The duration of the full course of treatment is about 10-12 procedures. The duration of one such session can vary from 15 to 60 minutes, depending on the evidence and the purpose of the massage. It is recommended to repeat the therapeutic course every six months.
The effect of water on the body is almost always positive, but in combination with pressure, some health problems may arise. That is why it is recommended to take into account all possible contraindications for this form of massage, and then the result will be only positive.
What it is
Hydromassage is a salon procedure that is carried out in a special hot tub. Its essence lies in a special therapeutic hydromassage directed by the flow of water to certain areas of the body. Hydro massage is also called SPA massage.
It is believed that this method of treatment was invented in Germany by rehabilitation doctors. During the treatment baths, patients transferred their injuries much faster, their breathing and blood circulation returned to normal.
During this procedure, the massage therapist, with the help of special water hoses, conducts a hydromassage session and performs active stimulation of every cell in your body.
Water-air flows are created from special nozzles, which are regulated depending on the purpose. The direction and strength of the flow is determined by the doctor who prescribes the massage.
With this effective method, you can improve the condition of the skin, reduce excess weight, get rid of cellulite and stretch marks, improve blood circulation. Hydro massage normalizes pressure, helps relieve nervous tension and improves the overall condition of the body.
This procedure combines several medical techniques: it is massage, wellness baths and thermotherapy. To enhance the effectiveness of all these procedures are used in a complex. Water massage is effectively used to treat various chronic diseases.
Hydromassage is effectively practiced to treat obesity and improve the skin. Underwater massage is incredibly useful for the general condition of the body.
After the sensation of aqua-therapy, the efficiency and endurance of the body increases, the brain improves and sleep is normalized. Hydromassage is useful for the normalization of the work of the heart, it harmonizes the work of the abdominal organs. With the help of water procedures, intestinal peristalsis is improved, it acquires the correct position.
During this procedure, the nervous system is activated. It can have an invigorating or soothing effect on the body, depending on the temperature of the water.
The benefits of hydromassage is incredibly great, it is used:
- for weight loss and cellulite treatment,
- elimination of postpartum stretch marks,
- removal of toxins from the body
- increase the elasticity of the skin of the face and body,
- elimination of muscle spasms
- increase the elasticity of blood vessels
- increase the strength of blood vessels and capillaries, the treatment of varicose veins,
- treatment of various injuries and fractures, the postoperative period,
- recovery of injured joints
- improvement of the digestive tract,
- normalization of blood circulation
- recovery from spinal injuries,
- quick wound healing and smoothing of scars.
Manual underwater hydro-massage is the most common type of water treatment. The patient is placed in a special bath and the massage therapist manually performs a massage session with the help of a directional hose.
The masseur acts with a stream of water on the patient's problem areas: abdomen, hands, thighs, calf muscles, face and neck. With the help of this method, overweight is reduced, cellulite treatment and body shaping are carried out, effectively eliminating puffiness and vegetative-vascular dystonia.
This is a “shock type” shower. When the patient is in the shower, the masseur with a large hose massages the problem areas. At the same time, the water from the hose beats very strongly, which creates a powerful stimulating and revitalizing effect.
First, the jet of water is supplied by the fan, then the water temperature changes and the procedure becomes contrast. Charcot's douche activates the work of all human systems. Normalizes the blood and lymphatic system, reduces the appearance of "orange peel", reduces excess weight, improves skin condition and heals the entire body.
This is a type of SPA procedure that combines the effects of air and water flows. The patient lies in a special wide bath, which is equipped with special nozzles, from which air-water flows are struck.
This is a very pleasant procedure, when the whole body envelops a weightless cloud of air bubbles. To enhance the therapeutic effect, therapeutic salts and essential oils are added to the water. Such baths promote muscle relaxation, tone the skin, reduce stretch marks and cellulite.
This is the most modern type of hydromassage, which has not yet gained great popularity. It is carried out in a special bathroom, which is equipped with special nozzles - sources of ultrasound. Ultrasonic massage produces a more active therapeutic effect and is considered more effective.
As a rule, it is combined with a jacuzzi and other types of massage. It is used to normalize the work of internal organs, reduce high blood pressure, helps to reduce weight.
Vibrating bathroom is also one of the methods of physiotherapy. With the help of waves of different frequencies, an impact occurs on certain areas of the body. The vibration mechanism can move along a certain part of the body or be fixed.
The water in these baths can be normal or with the addition of mineral salts or essential oils. It is used to treat the respiratory and digestive organs, to prevent cellulite and reduce fat deposits, to treat gynecological diseases.
Even among cryotherapy procedures, cryosauna is distinguished, as well as at what temperature the sessions, pros and cons, effectiveness and duration are held - everything is here.
And what problems solves laser polishing of the skin of the face, the essence of the procedure and the average prices per session - here.
Benefit and harm
- An effective way to lose weight and lose weight.
- Visible improvement in skin and muscle tissue.
- Hydromassage helps to eliminate toxins from the body.
- Active saturation of cells with oxygen.
- Hydromassage helps to relax the body, it is an excellent prevention of spasms.
- Pronounced analgesic effect.
- Strengthening the blood supply and normalization of pressure.
- Restoration of motor function and mobility of joints.
- Improves the work of the intestine, the activation of metabolic processes in the body.
- Strength of blood vessels, prevention of varicose veins increases.
- Water treatments reduce stress, improve mood and general condition.
The aquatic environment can stimulate the reproduction of harmful microorganisms. Therefore, after each procedure, the bath must be thoroughly rinsed with special disinfectants. Nozzles are also often clogged and require constant cleaning.
Hydromassage is not useful to everyone and has a number of contraindications. Also, hydromassage baths and equipment are very expensive, which makes the procedure quite expensive.
Indications for hydromassage:
- swelling, fatigue in the legs, venous diseases,
- general intoxication of the body, smoking and work associated with increased gas pollution,
Who can not
Contraindications to hydromassage:
- acute inflammation in the body,
- the presence of severe viral and infectious diseases,
- diseases of the organs of blood formation,
- cancer, the presence of malignant tumors,
- skin diseases: dermatitis, psoriasis, neurodermatitis,
- diseases of the kidneys and urinary tract,
- ischemic disease
- people who have suffered strokes and heart attacks,
- with care for patients with established pacemaker.
The use of hydromassage during pregnancy is also not recommended, it is better to postpone this procedure until delivery.
For weight loss
Many are interested in the question - does the hydromassage help in losing weight? This type of massage promotes intensive splitting of fats and therefore this method is actively used to reduce weight and reduce adipose tissue. Its action is based on the activation of blood circulation and the normalization of lymph outflow, which in turn leads to a decrease in fat deposits in the hands, thighs and abdomen.
Aqua massage actively contributes to the normalization of digestion, thereby regulates appetite and reduces the number of calories consumed. The reduction of toxins and the withdrawal of excess fluid also has a positive effect on the fight against extra pounds.
How diamond diamond differs from conventional dermabrasion and on which devices this procedure is carried out, we suggest finding out by clicking here.
You also have the opportunity to find out how the laser removal of papillomas takes place, why it should be done and what kind of feedback from this procedure, for this, go here.
In the fight against cellulite
For an effective fight against the "orange peel" they use all types of water massage: underwater, Charcot's douche, ultrasonic and vibration massage. To enhance the effect, various salts and minerals, extracts from seaweed and essential oils are added to the water. The most effective essential oils are pink, lavender, orange and lemon oil.
Hot tubs - a very effective way to combat various diseases. Water treatments have a lot of useful properties, they are assigned to reduce weight and improve the condition of the nervous system and the whole body.
You can see how pleasant this procedure is by watching the video:
Underwater shower massage - what is it? Effects of the procedure
Underwater shower massage is one of the methods of hydrotherapy, which combines several therapeutic factors: fresh, herbal, salt or with the addition of essential oils bath, the massage effect of the water jet emitted under pressure, and the contrast of the temperature of the water in the bath and in the shower.
The action of the underwater shower-massage, in principle, is similar to that of a classical therapeutic massage. However, it is more pronounced due to the fact that the patient's body is in the water in the most relaxed state, which means that the massage is deeper and completely painless.
The intensity of the massage depends on the diameter of the handpiece, its distance from the skin surface, the angle of inclination of the jet and the pressure at which it is released. All of these parameters during a session can be repeatedly changed by an expert as needed.
A jet of water that hits the skin surface under pressure affects the body in a comprehensive manner:
- improves blood and lymph flow,
- activates metabolic processes,
- boosts general immunity, tones,
- hot water increases the tone of blood vessels and skeletal muscles, helps to increase blood pressure values,
- cool water reduces blood pressure, activates the processes of local immunity in the skin,
- the combination of cold and hot showers stimulates the functions of the endocrine system and contributes to the improvement of the trophic (nutrition) of the internal organs,
- cool and warm souls reduce the intensity of pain and the excitability of the nervous system as a whole.
So, the effects of the underwater shower-massage are:
- antispasmodic (analgesic).
After completing the course of such procedures, patients note a significant improvement in overall well-being. They become calmer, better tolerate mental and physical exertion, are less likely to suffer from infectious diseases and complain less of headaches, muscle and bone and joint pain. Manifestations of cellulite are reduced, the skin becomes smoother, firmer and more elastic, the scars on the skin and adhesions in the abdominal cavity soften, and the swelling on the lower extremities becomes less pronounced. Blood levels of cholesterol and triglycerides are reduced. Many patients lose weight by 3-5 kg during the course of treatment.
It is worth noting that the procedure can be both general (massage the whole body with the exception of the forbidden zones (listed below)) and local (only one area of the patient’s body is massaged, depending on the indication (suppose, the loins or the abdomen)).
Indications and contraindications for the underwater shower-massage
This physiotherapy is useful to almost everyone, but for some diseases, its use will have the most pronounced positive effect. These diseases are:
- diseases of the musculoskeletal system (arthritis, osteoarthrosis, osteochondrosis, scoliosis, and others),
- metabolic diseases, in particular, gout and 1st degree of obesity,
- pathology of the muscular system (myopathy, myositis, traumatic injuries),
- peripheral nervous system diseases without exacerbation (neuritis, plexitis, polyneuropathy),
- post-traumatic disorders of the peripheral nervous system,
- paresis of the muscles as a result of previous polio,
- hypertension at the initial stage,
- tendency to low blood pressure
- ankylosing spondylitis (ankylosing spondylitis),
- Raynaud's disease
- chronic gastritis, colitis and functional bowel disorders,
- lymph flow disorders
- obliterating atherosclerosis of the lower extremities,
- хронические венозные заболевания (варикозное расширение вен, хронические трофические язвы, геморрой),
- хронический сальпингоофорит (воспаление яичников и маточных труб у женщин),
- кожная патология (гиперкератоз, чешуйчатый лишай, нейродермит),
- депрессивные состояния,
- сексуальный невроз,
- local fat deposits, which the patient would like to get rid of,
- reduced elasticity and elasticity of the skin and muscles.
Also, an underwater shower-massage can be useful with increased physical exertion and during the rehabilitation period after operations, including plastic ones.
In some cases, this physiotherapy does not only bring the desired benefit to the patient, but may even cause harm to his health. So, contraindications to the procedures of underwater shower-massage are:
- gestation period
- early childhood (up to 5 years) and senile (65-70 years and above) age,
- acute infectious diseases with or without fever
- any noncommunicable diseases involving fever (for example, systemic connective tissue diseases in the active phase),
- recent injuries (up to 10 days) and injuries requiring immobilization,
- pustular skin diseases
- acute and chronic disorders of cerebral circulation,
- history of myocardial infarction,
- hypertension II-III stages
- coronary artery disease 2-3 degrees,
- heart arrhythmia,
- urolithiasis disease,
- diseases associated with an increased risk of blood clots,
- diseases with an increased risk of bleeding,
- malignant neoplasms
- benign tumors with a tendency to grow.
Equipment and technique of the procedure
For the procedures of underwater shower-massage, a special bath of sufficiently large size (2 m long and 1 m wide, containing 1.6 m 3 of water) is required, equipped with a flexible hose and a set of nozzles of different diameters.
The medical staff prepares a bath, the water temperature in which is 30-37 ° C. The bath may contain just fresh water, but more often, broths of herbs, sea salt or a few drops of a mixture of essential oils are added to enhance the desired effect.
The patient is immersed in water and 5-7 minutes just lies in it, getting used to the temperature of the water and gradually relaxing. After this time, the massage begins directly. It is produced using a flexible hose connected to a pump. Through this hose under pressure from 1 to 3-4 atmospheres water flows out, which has a massage effect. The specialist constantly changes the angle of inclination of the jet and the distance from the end of the nozzle to the skin (as a rule, it is from 3 to 15 cm).
The impact is carried out similarly to the methods of classical therapeutic massage.
- Stroking The specialist draws the shower tip 10-15 cm from the patient's skin surface. The angle of inclination of the jet is about 30 °. The jet is moved along the massage lines on the body, as if pressing it with his left hand, folded groove. If necessary, air can be sucked into the hose to create so-called pearl bubbles.
- Kneading. The specialist places the tip at a distance of 3-5 cm from the patient's body, changes the angle of incidence of the jet to a straight line (equal to 90 °) and carries out (the jet) circular movements.
- Kneading. With his left hand, the doctor seizes the skin in a fold, pulls it away and in a circular motion sends a stream of water there, gradually changing its angle of inclination from the perpendicular surface of the body to a practically horizontal position.
- Vibration. A specialist with a hose makes an oscillatory motion in the direction from the periphery to the center, from the distal parts of the body to the proximal. Such movements contribute to the outflow of blood from the veins and improve lymph flow. Exposure of the region of the heart, mammary glands in women and genitals should be avoided. The abdominal area is massaged exclusively in a clockwise direction, since it is in this direction that the intestinal peristaltic movements are carried out, through which food masses are advanced along it. Anti-clockwise movements of the massage jet will violate this mechanism, impairing peristalsis.
After the massage is completed, the patient is in the bathroom for another 5-7 minutes.
At the end of the procedure, some reddening of the skin is possible (due to the activation of local blood flow) - this phenomenon is not dangerous, is not a complication and does not require seeking medical help.
The total duration of the procedure is from 15 to 30, less often up to 45 minutes daily or every other day. The course of treatment is 10-15-20 baths, it is recommended to repeat it every six months.
Underwater shower-massage can be carried out in medical institutions, in beauty salons, massage rooms and sanatoriums, if these organizations are equipped with a special bathroom and have qualified personnel in this field.
Concluding the article, I would like to note that despite the many positive effects, underwater shower-massage can cause irreparable harm to the health of certain categories of patients. For this reason, the question of the appropriateness of the appointment of this physiotherapy should be decided only by a doctor. It can also be carried out by a specialist with thorough knowledge of the relevant knowledge. Observing these conditions, you will extract the maximum benefit from the procedure of underwater massage, and, on the contrary, reduce the risk of undesirable reactions. Do not be ill!
Video about what is underwater shower-massage:
Principles of effects on the body
This technique is considered universal, as it combines the therapeutic properties of classical massage, water, light, heat and tempering procedures, and sometimes aromatherapy.
A person who has just plunged into a warm bath has a slight increase in blood pressure. The heart begins to beat more often, causing blood and lymph to move faster. But after a while the body gets used to the new environment and completely relaxes, the vessels expand, the pulse and pressure are normalized, the muscles stretch and become more elastic, the clamps, spasms, and with them the pain disappear. If at this moment a jet of water is directed to the surface of the skin at a certain angle and pressure, then nothing will prevent it from affecting even the deepest organs, tissues and structures without causing pain and unpleasant sensations. As a result:
- increases the tone of blood vessels and muscle corset,
- metabolic processes are activated,
- tissues are saturated with nutrients and oxygen,
- slags and toxins are eliminated from the body,
- cholesterol plaque formation stops,
- Enhanced endorphin synthesis begins - pain-reducing substances
- tissues and joints get rid of excess fluid that causes swelling and inflammation, and restore their mobility,
- pores open, the horny scales of the upper layer of the epidermis peel off, as a result, the skin levels off, getting rid of cellulite, scarring and adhesions, acquires elasticity and an even healthy color,
- fatty deposits are broken, the figure becomes slim and fit. There are cases when patients lose up to 5 kg of weight during the course of a shower-massage.
The alternation of high and low temperatures allows to refer this type of massage to tempering procedures. As a result, the immune defense is strengthened, resistance and overall body tone increase. Strengthen the effect of a few drops of essential oils added to water, or sea salt, which saturates the body with iodine and mineral components.
Especially popular today is the combination of hydromassage with chromotherapy - the therapeutic effects of color and light. In addition, each shade of the spectrum performs a specific function: red - improves blood circulation, yellow - fights cellulite, and green and blue - perfectly treat inflamed and irritated skin.
Indications for appointment
A warm bath with a shower-massage is the best way to rest and relax after a long day of work. This useful procedure is a surge of strength and energy, and sometimes it also becomes an indispensable therapeutic tool to help fight diseases:
- musculoskeletal system: arthrosis, osteochondrosis, curvature of the spine, paresis and deforming spondylosis,
- skin: deprive, enhanced cell division in hyperkeratosis, neurodermatitis,
- digestive systems: colitis, gastritis, functional bowel disorders,
- vessels: hypertension and low blood pressure in the initial stage of development, varicose veins, hemorrhoids, atherosclerosis,
- urogenital sphere: inflammation of the ovaries and fallopian tubes, prostatitis,
- peripheral nervous system: neuritis, plexitis, myositis,
- metabolism: gout, obesity, cellulite.
Direct indications for the use of this method of hydrotherapy are shattered nerves, depression, and chronic fatigue syndrome.
Hydromassage - the procedure is quite safe, but this type of therapy can harm the health and significantly worsen the condition when:
- heart rhythm disorders
- angina, especially in its severe manifestations,
- cardiovascular failure
- hypertension 3rd degree,
- recent stroke or myocardial infarction,
- diabetes mellitus
- cirrhosis of the liver,
- uterine and menstrual bleeding,
- any infectious and inflammatory diseases in the acute stage,
- recent injuries and fractures,
- fever and fever,
- the presence of blood clots and a tendency to their formation,
- pustular rash on the skin.
The age of the patient is also a contraindication: in order to avoid undesirable consequences, this type of massage is not recommended for children under 5 and adults over 70 years of age without first consulting a doctor.
For the procedure using a special bath of large volume, with a capacity of up to 600 liters. The streamlined shape of the bed is equipped with a comfortable headrest and multi-level leg supports, allowing the patient to get comfortable during the massage. Today in spa and wellness centers, preference is given to equipment made of fiberglass, as it is durable and resistant to aggressive fillers, for example, highly mineralized water. The presence of a special anti-slip step, as in the photo, allows you to easily get out of the bath.
Such a device is equipped with a flexible hose, with the help of which a specialist performs massage, and a convenient control panel that allows you to control the temperature and pressure of water. The intensity of the impact and the type of jet are also regulated by means of nozzles of different shapes, included in the kit:
- jet - with round holes - are used for local massage,
- rainwater - with many small holes - is intended for the initial preparatory treatment of the whole body, as well as for the impact on the stomach and joints,
- Slit - used to massage the spine, arms and legs.
The price of such a procedure in the salon is from 700 to 3000 rubles. You can save by arranging a hydromassage at home.
- The easiest option is to use an ordinary shower hose, after removing the watering can from it. Adjust the water pressure and local distribution by hand.
- You can purchase special massage nozzles Alekseeva. They are equipped with interchangeable meshes with 13, 19 and 61 holes and are designed for a powerful acupressure, soothing or soft massage. Judging by the many positive reviews, these tips are simple and effective to use. Created from lightweight high-quality plastic, they have a universal mount and are easily worn on any household shower hose. Before using the attachments, it is advisable to watch the instructional video or read the enclosed instructions carefully.
- The most expensive option is an automatic hydromassage shower or bath with integrated nozzles, from which water-air jets are pulled out under the programmed pressure, affecting the human body.
The session begins with filling the bath. Water should not be too hot: 36–37 ° C will be enough. To enhance the health effect, it is useful to use all sorts of additives: sea salt, essential oils, healing broths. Especially popular is Herbaden Spa - a mix containing Dead Sea salts that have anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial effects and extracts of the six most famous herbs: chamomile, mint, nettle, lavender, willow bark and hop cones.
Then the patient is immersed in a bath and for 5–7 minutes just lies in warm water, getting used to it and relaxing the muscles. After that, the massage therapist picks up the hose and starts treating the human body with a stream of water that goes under pressure up to 4 atmospheres, constantly changing the angle of inclination, nozzles and methods of exposure. It can be:
- Stroking: a jet at an angle of 300 ° is directed to the massaged surface from a distance of 10–15 cm and moves along the massage lines, covered by the palm of the second hand.
- Kneading: the jet acts in a circle, while the hose moves closer to 5 cm from the patient's body, and the angle of inclination increases to 900 °.
- Vibration: small zigzag movements are made from the bottom up or clockwise, if we are talking about the stomach. In any case, it is impossible to massage the region of the heart, kidneys, genitals and mammary glands in women.
The procedure lasts up to half an hour, after which another 5-7 minutes need to lie down in warm water. During the session, the specialist must constantly monitor the patient's condition. At the first signs of his poor health - rapid heartbeat, nausea, dizziness, tinnitus - it is necessary to immediately interrupt the massage. Redness of the skin after manipulation is not an alarming signal, it is only a consequence of enhanced blood circulation and heat exposure.
Proper implementation of underwater therapy will reduce all existing risks to zero and give you the opportunity to enjoy life without pain, problems and anxieties.