When people ask me about the best books about health, I always advise exactly three books. They contain 99% of information on how to eat and how to move in order to stay healthy, energetic and live for many years.
Each of these books epitomizes past, present, and future.
- "Blue Zones": past, lifestyles and traditions of long-livers, people who keep their physical shape and mental clarity well over 100 years,
- "Eat, move, sleep": the present, a healthy lifestyle of a modern person, his health in a fast urban rhythm of life,
- "Transcend": future, recent scientific advances in health and a health plan for science.
In this post I will talk about these three books, as well as about a few books that I advise you to read to those who want to get a deeper understanding of the issue.
I will make a few reservations in advance.
First, books about diets and weight loss are a separate, narrower topic. As a book about weight loss, I will recommend other books, although in the books from the list below, the topic of proper nutrition is constantly affected.
And, secondly, I do not cite books about starvation, raw foods, cleaning from parasites and other radical practices here. Therefore, there are no books by Paul Bragg, Galina Shatalova, Marvah Oganesyan and others.
And there is also a separate genre of books - motivational books for weight loss and a healthy lifestyle. Stories of people who could and did. But about this I want to talk separately in one of the following posts.
“Eat, Move, Sleep” - Tom Rath
The perfect start if you decide to start a healthy lifestyle and are looking for the best health books to start with. Here you are.
The author of the book is Tom Rath, an American writer and speaker. His professional sphere is leadership and personal development, but it just so happened that he had to plunge headlong into the sphere of health. Tom discovered a rare genetic disease, which was possible to cope with, but difficult, and to slow down its development, Tom had to switch from the typical American's lifestyle and diets to the most healthy way of life.
About this Tom and wrote the book "Eat, move, sleep." In a light and fascinating form, Tom managed to give maximum useful information on how to lead an active lifestyle, how to organize proper healthy sleep, and how to eat right. The book "Eat, move, sleep," I recommend to everyone as a guide to the world of health of the modern urban man. Modern, concise and purely scientific, without fascinating details about the cleaning of ten types of parasites and urinotherapy for sound sleep.
Another similar book is The Year Lived by Brett Blumenthal. About the same thing, so if you can not find "Eat, move, sleep," then read "Year spent properly."
“Blue Zones” + “Blue Zones in Practice” - Dan Buttner
The book is an American traveler and writer, journalist of National Geographic, Dan Buttner. On our website there is an article about one day with Dan Buttner, from which you can learn more about who this person is and what principles he adheres to. Dan’s lifelong business was the Blue Zones research project (link to the project), where he is looking for places where the long-livers live all over the planet and is trying to learn the secrets of health and longevity from them.
As it turned out, in various parts of the world, long-livers are guided by similar life principles, which allow them to live 30-40 years longer than their compatriots from other cities and regions. Based on the travel information, Dan Buttner and the team developed nine rules on longevity related to physical activity and nutrition. About how to eat and what to do in general, to live up to one hundred and more years in good health, he wrote the book “Blue Zones”.
“Blue Zones in Practice” is a continuation of the first book in which Buettner talks about longevity projects that are created artificially in the territories of different countries, and also gives a program to create your own “blue zone” - rules that you can live long and happy depending on which country you live in, and what is the average age of life in your country. Well, for a snack in this book there are recipes according to the rules of the "Blue Zones".
Transcend: Nine Steps to Eternal Life - Ray Kurzweil
The book by futurologist Ray Kurzwell on how to move, how to eat and what supplements to take to live a long and happy life. In contrast to the "Blue Zones", the principles of which are based on centuries-old traditions and stories of long-livers, Transcend is built on the latest scientific research. If you know the word "biohacking", then you should know - "Transcend" is exactly about biohacking. About how to reconfigure your body to avoid disease, save energy and increase the duration of your life.
I will say right away that the book is rather complicated compared to the previous two. Kurzwell talks about dozens of studies and is in full juggling with scientific terms. Nevertheless, this is not an intricate scientific work, but a “scientific background” for a wide circle of readers. If you are not afraid of numerous studies, special terms and the ability to dive to the deepest levels of your body, then read and enjoy.
In the first part of the book, Kurzweil talks about what problems the body can face in our time, and how to avoid them. In the second part, he proposes a step-by-step plan for adjusting his lifestyle, the main part of which is food:
- General assessment of the state of the body
- Proper nutrition
- Reduced calorie and weight loss
- Physical exercise
In general, if you want to learn about the most relevant research in the field of health and healthy nutrition, and how to eat “according to science”, then read “Transcend”.
"Chinese research" and its continuation - Colin Campbell et al.
"Chinese research" - a cult book about the benefits of plant nutrition and the dangers of animal protein.
The author of Chinese Research is an American biochemist, Dr. Colin Campbell, who in 1998 was recognized as the most authoritative physician in the world in the field of nutrition. The main goal of Campbell's work is to study the connection between nutrition and human health and the occurrence of diseases. Chinese Research is the largest and most comprehensive of his works.
The name of the book gave a large-scale study conducted in China, and which involved more than 860 million people. According to his results, as well as according to other studies, Campbell concludes that the consumption of animal protein, that is, meat and dairy products, provokes cancer and autoimmune diseases, as well as diseases of the cardiovascular system. In support of his opinion, he cites a huge amount of evidence in the form of research and statistical calculations.
In the Chinese Study, Campbell also makes recommendations on healthy eating and talks about how large meat, milk and fast food companies lobby their interests and harm the health of the nation.
The book became scandalous immediately after the release, and although Campbell does not directly speak of vegetarianism as a lifestyle, it has become an anthem of vegetable nutrition and a target for those who do not consider a vegetarian diet as natural for humans. The publication of the Russian-language version of the “Chinese research” also provoked many critical articles and srachey on the Internet. Nevertheless, I recommend reading this book, regardless of how you feel about vegetarianism - perhaps it will change your views on food once and for all.
The “Chinese research” has some continuations that develop one of the topics covered in the main book:
"Chinese research in practice" - a simplified version of the “Chinese research”, in which there is less science and more practical recommendations, as well as a nutrition plan and useful recipes. Ozon.ru || MYTH
"Healthy food" - more on conspiracy theories in the food industry. Ozon.ru || MYTH
"Recipes of Chinese research" - colorful cookbook "Chinese research" Ozon.ru || MYTH
Food and the Brain - David Perlmutter
The book is the antithesis of "Chinese research" about the dangers of excessive consumption of carbohydrates (of which the plant food) and the benefits of animal fats for our brain. I specifically give you the recommendations of both books - “Chinese Research” and “Food and the Brain”, so that you can read and draw conclusions for yourself, without focusing on one type of food.
“Food and the brain” was written by David Perlmutter, an American neurologist and winner of various nutritional awards. In the book, he argues for feeding on foods that contain a lot of animal fat and says that over-eating foods that contain carbohydrates is one of the scourges of our civilization.
Moreover, this category includes not only deliberately harmful artificial products containing a lot of sugar and chemistry, but also such a seemingly healthy and healthy food, like fruits and cereals. As written in one of the reviews published on the cover of the book: "Today, wheat destroys the brain of more people than all the strokes, car accidents and head injuries combined."
Well, isn't it lovely?
Perlmutter reveals one of the forbidden topics hidden in modern medical literature, the connection between eating foods high in carbohydrates and diseases such as dementia, Alzheimer's disease, diabetes, depression and obesity. He explains what negative changes occur to your brain if you eat cereals, flour products, fruits, as well as drink packaged juices every day. And, on the other hand, it provides evidence that the brain is in desperate need of healthy fats and cholesterol, suggesting a method of how to stimulate the work of brain cells at any age.
Plus, as usual, the book has a four-week healthy nutrition plan for losing weight and improving brain performance and many recipes.
“Salt, sugar and fat” - Michael Moss and “The Nation of Fast Food” - Eric Schlosser
Similar books, but about different, albeit close things
Salt, sugar and fat in the title of the first book are constantly present in the food of the modern city dweller. It is rarely when this presence can be called useful.
“Salt, sugar and fat” is a voluminous, detailed journalistic investigation of how food giants use three ingredients to plant us on a “food needle.” These are the three pillars on which the entire food industry stands, and in order for you to buy a product once and continue to do it again and again, manufacturers are ready to add them in any quantities.
Fast Food Nation is a cult book about the formation of well-known fast-food giants: McDonalds, Burger King, KFC and others, as well as their impact on the lives of ordinary people and dirty tricks that corporations use. And also about why Ronald MacDonald really loves children so much, how many chemicals contain the smell of strawberries, and why at the beginning of the 20th century the newspapers wrote: “There are hamburgers - it's like eating from a trash can.”
In 2006, according to the Nation of Fast Food, a provocative film of the same name was shot, in which Bruce Willis and Avril Lavigne had time to shine.
Both books are read as a cool series like "The House of Cards" or "Billions", only about food. Read, if you are interested to find out what you really eat.
“Intuitive nutrition” - Svetlana Bronnikova
The best book about proper eating habits, written by psychologist Svetlana Bronnikova. While most authors write about diets and the physiological side of losing weight, Svetlana talks about the installation in our head, leading to unhealthy diets, and overcoming them.
“Intuitive nutrition” is a book about healthy eating, but there are no diets and recipes. Problems associated with being overweight or underweight often come from our heads, and a psychologist or psychotherapist can help in solving them rather than a nutritionist. Jamming stress, uncontrolled gluttony, bulimia, anorexia and other mental eating disorders - “Intuitive nutrition” is just about that.
The book is about how to distinguish between real, physical hunger and psychological, how to cope with feelings of guilt and anxiety about being eaten, how to get maximum pleasure from food, without overeating and not using harmful additives like mayonnaise. In general, this book is about how you have what you want, how much you want and when you want without harmful consequences.
One of the few in its field and the best. If you have ever tried to diet, and you did not succeed - read as soon as possible.
“Life at Full Power” - Jim Loher, Tony Schwartz
The best, in my opinion, book on the energy of man.
The authors of the book, working with the greatest athletes of our time and the special forces of the FBI, have developed a method of energy management, which allows you to remain vigorous, productive for a long time and maintain your strength even under high physical or mental stress. This technique, only for ordinary people, is given in Life at Full Power.
It is easy and interesting to read, everything is strictly according to science, there are many success stories and useful practices. The authors divide the vital energy into three components - physical, mental and spiritual - and provide equipment and recommendations for the pumping of each of them. Mastrid for those who want to learn how to manage their life energy.
"Willpower. How to develop and strengthen "- Kelly McGonigal
The best book on how to develop good habits and overcome bad ones. McGonigal, a professor at Stanford University, talks about how our will and self-control depend on the processes taking place inside our body, and how to deceive the brain to control them.
The book has many techniques and experiments that will be useful in different, even the most everyday situations. How to lose weight and how to give up sweets? How to do regular exercises in the morning? How to avoid impulsive purchases and not spend money on different nonsense? How to stop being forced to do something in principle and start living more freely and consciously?
Mastrid, if you want to better understand your brain and your body, pump your volitional qualities or remove bad habits.
“100% charged” - Edward Bezuglov and Renat Shagabutdinov
A purely practical book by sports doctor Eduard Bezuglov and ultra marathoner Renata Shagabutdinov on energy management, the right attitude to sports and a healthy lifestyle.
“100% Charged” - a collection of life hacks about how:
- replenish energy during the day
- keep attention and concentration
- correctly and without injury to engage in sports
- eat right when doing sports and how to choose sports nutrition
- how to lead an active lifestyle after injuries, in old age, on business trips and in other cases
Plus reviews of services and gadgets for a healthy lifestyle. For a beginner - the most it.
What I liked is that the maximum of concrete is without water, especially practical advice. Well read in addition to "Eat, move, sleep."
These were the best books about health and a healthy lifestyle according to the FOLKEXTREME.RU site.
You can read about the best books, with which it is best to start self-development, here.
Top ten interesting books about children's health:
- «Your child from birth to 2 years old». Robert and Martha Sears, who have written this book, are not only experienced pediatricians, but also parents who have raised 8th children, so they know a lot about baby care. This is a kind of useful tool that will help all parents who understand that they know absolutely nothing about their child. This book will not only answer the most topical for new dads and mothers questions about care, nutrition, health and other important points, but also teach you to fight your fear and act thoughtfully. The authors will tell you what to do in emergency dangerous situations, in which cases it is necessary to show the crumbs to the doctor. Those who have read the book will learn how to build their family life and make it as comfortable as possible for both the child and for themselves.
- «Your baby may not be sick". This book by Professor Arshavsky is worth reading to parents of babies in the first months of life. This is a kind of small brochure that can be the first step on the road to improving the child, and since the very first days of his earthly existence. Moms and dads will be able to lay the foundations of health, following the simple recommendations of the author. And the information is transmitted in understandable language, and literally from the first mouth, because it was obtained in the course of research conducted in a special laboratory. The book describes and discusses effective methods of general health of a young child.
- «Health reserves of our children". This book of Nikitin spouses included two of their works at once. The first part called “We and our children” has long established itself from the best side, and the second, called “Reserves of our children's health”, became a kind of logical continuation or addition to the first section.In the works of researchers and parents who have already raised their children, such issues as gymnastics (including literally from the first days of a child’s life), the ability of the child, his work responsibilities, relationships with peers and family members, the effects of sun rays on children, functioning children's immunity, physical development, body weight and build, hardening, as well as intellectual development. The authors hope that readers will be able to enter the world of infancy and childhood with an inquisitive and completely open soul.
- He wrote an entertaining and instructive book and famous pediatrician Yevgeny Komarovsky, and its name speaks for itself - “The health of the child and the common sense of his relatives.” It tells about the education of children: small and older. And the author focuses on the fact that the state of health, health and condition of the children largely depend on the behavior of his relatives, who are directly involved in the upbringing. Readers will be able to explore the fascinating, presented very clear and incredibly useful information about everything related to children's life. There are simple and obvious solutions to the most difficult at first glance, tasks, tips on making the right decisions, the verge of good and bad, as well as recommendations to moms, dads, grandparents, preserving their nervous systems.
- «How to raise a child healthy, contrary to doctors". The creator of this book is Robert Mendelsohn, a pediatric practitioner who is known for his skepticism about traditional medicine in the modern sense. Although the work was written in the 84th year of the last century, unfortunately, the principles of many pediatricians have remained unchanged since that time. The author explains his negative opinion about pediatrics and offers recommendations aimed at improving the health of children. The work is addressed to fathers and mothers who are waiting for advice on how to raise a child healthy. The goal of Mendelssohn is to train to analyze the situation: sometimes the help of a doctor is obligatory, but sometimes medical intervention can do more harm than help. Robert tells about the threats concealed in some therapeutic and diagnostic procedures, and their impact on the health of the offspring.
- «Your child. How to save". The author of this useful work, Leonid Roshal, has long been recognized by the world pediatrician as he is very well aware of absolutely all the troubles that can happen to children in various situations. In emergency situations, most parents are lost, and in fact the health and even the life of the child largely depends on the timeliness and correctness of their actions. And there are cases in which you need to take action before the arrival of "ambulance." Roshal will tell you how to help his child, how to alleviate severe pain, how to behave in case of various injuries, how to identify life-threatening situations. Answers to the most important questions are in the book.
- The book which has become a real world bestsellerBaby and careWrote Benjamin Spock. And he knows a lot about children's health, as he is an experienced pediatrician. The work can be safely considered as a useful guide for all fathers and mothers who have fallen into a difficult situation regarding their children and who are unable to immediately consult a specialist. Spock practices an individual approach to young patients and is convinced that there are no similar or even similar children in the world, and therefore diseases can occur in completely different ways. But the book contains not only recommendations for maintaining health and care, but also tips on harmonious development, balanced nutrition, and child psychology.
- "Handbook of sensible parents." The first part of a series of reference books written by E. Komarovsky is devoted to the development and growth, examination, nutrition, vaccinations and various analyzes. Information concerns all healthy children: it affects the most important aspects of their lives, including development and proper growth, diet, vaccination, medical care and various diagnostic measures. Information by a famous pediatrician was specially selected from various sources, and the most important and necessary information was selected, which the author was able to present in an accessible, easy-to-understand and understandable language.
- “Microbes? Mom, do not panic, or how to form a strong child immunity. " Authorship belongs to Marie-Claire Arriete and Brett Finlay, and writers are confident that excessive hygiene can harm children's health. They convince readers that microbes introduce the child to the world, and children are not at all afraid of dirt. The book describes the effects on the body and life of a child of bacteria that are often found in the world. And raising a child in sterility is fundamentally wrong!
- Useful and practical advice can be found in the book "Your baby. Health encyclopedia”, Which tells about everything that a small child cannot tell. It covers topics of common diseases, the choice of healthy foods, inculcation of behavioral habits that affect the health status of factors, hygiene training. After reading the book, each parent will be able to better understand the child, find a special approach to it and improve their health.
These were useful books that would be interesting to read to parents.
Dr. Myasnikov has written many books, and all of them are written, to put it mildly, in simple language with an abundance of exclamation marks and one-syllable sentences: therefore such a book can be advised to show to parents.
Here is an example of his text: “Many people say: I am fat (fat) not because I eat a lot or move a little, but because I have hormonal disorders! And this can be. In 1% of cases. Only in one! ”
Moreover, the Butchers, despite the suspicious screaming style, in fact, gives practical advice on the whole nutrition strategy, and most importantly - brings a huge amount of interesting information, data, statistics.
"One habit per week"
The expert on healthy lifestyles Blumenthal provides a one-year methodology for small cases, gradual small changes that will improve mental health in a year.
Main topics: stress management, concentration and performance, memory and anti-aging, and generally a happy and full life.
"Easy way to lose weight"
The same Allen Carr, who wrote the legendary motivational book for those who want to quit smoking (also read on Zozhnik: how it works + the healthy lifestyle motivator according to the method of Alan Carr).
Carr technique: psychological debunking the complexity of the process, debunking the "excuses" and tricks of the brain to avoid the process of calorie restriction. Carr helps to give this process joy and ease. First, with smoking, now - with excess weight.
By the way, he also has an "easy way to stop drinking." We won’t be surprised if there will be also “Easy way to quit drugs” or “Easy way to throw brick into the TV”.
"Psychology of bad habits"
PhD, psychotherapist Richard O’Connor explains why it is so difficult to fight bad habits, shows the duality of our personality and suggests ways to train the involuntary part of our brain, weaning it from destructive habits and changing our behavior for the better.
"From 800 meters to the marathon"
The book is about there, how to prepare for a marathon, so as not to finish as the first legendary marathon runner.
The basis is the research results of the best runners in the world, data from scientific laboratories and many years of coaching experience of the author. The book has detailed training programs for different distances, adapted for runners of different levels. If you want to run your first marathon, you will find all the necessary recommendations here.
There is no mistake in the title of the book. This book is a boring scholar of modern medicine with a bunch of pictures (to be more precise, there are 135 explanatory illustrations there). It’s all about disease, modern medicine, and the human body. The author himself - Nikita Zhukov - a young neurologist from St. Petersburg, the author of the ultra-popular project "Encyclopatia" (from Encyclopedia pathologicae - a pathological encyclopedia), which is visited by more than 100,000 people a day.
“Lazy live longer. How to distribute vital energy "
The authors of the book, referring to the latest scientific data, say that for health you need to relax and be lazy, that we must completely change our ideas about a healthy lifestyle if we want to be successful and live a long and fulfilling life. (I remember the program text on Zozhnik "Straighten or relax: opposite approaches").
The authors went even further and even offer a program that allows you to easily and without unnecessary tension to gain health, well-being and keep youth longer: you can finally do without a shame of conscience what you haven’t decided yet: calm down and idle more often.
"How the brain makes us do stupid things"
Gorgeous and interesting Asya Kazantseva wrote about "the main biological traps that prevent us from living happily and behaving well."
Medical journalist, a graduate of the “biological faculty” of St. Petersburg State University Asya writes easily, clearly and at the same time relies only on scientific data. This is Asi’s first book and we want more of them.
Bestseller (because stress is a big modern problem) of the Australian psychologist, artist, writer Andrew Mathews. A simple witty text with 76 drawings by the author himself is a good cure for stress, depression, just a bad mood.
In addition to a set of recommendations, the book is full of real instructive stories. And intelligent and patient people (who read to the very end of this text) learn from the mistakes of others.
So that’s how it turned out to be done ...
How to communicate with a difficult child? What should I teach children under 3 years old? What mistakes could have been avoided? Raising children is hard work in which helpers will be useful. Of course, it can be parents, friends or acquaintances. But usually none of them is a recognized expert in child psychology (although they may consider the opposite). Therefore, to avoid useless advice, it is better to turn to professionals. That is, to psychologists and doctors, who especially for you write useful books with the analysis of various complex issues.
For World Book Day, which is celebrated on April 23, the editors of Tlum.Ru prepared for you 10 books on education, which should be read to all parents.
Publisher: Alpina non-fiction
Let's start with the books about parenting arguing with each other. The first of these states that "after three it is too late." Namely - you need to teach children around the world to exactly three years, because at this age they absorb information like a sponge. The book will tell how to make learning not straining for both kids and parents. Early child development is in your hands.
Galina Momot argues directly with the previous name, because at three everything is just beginning! Given that both books are devoted to methods of early development, here the author talks about a slightly more adult age and teaches readers the options for playing forms, instead of hateful lessons. At the same time, great attention is paid to such factors as support, uniqueness, motivation, zone of proximal development, self-esteem, respect and control.
Psychologist Marina Aromsham answers the most typical, hottest and most difficult questions about the education of a preschooler. Here are professional advice, life examples, and analysis of the most frequent conflicts in the “fathers and children” series. What are the reasons for your child's behavior? Preschool crises are not as scary as they seem if you have this book.
And another book about the upbringing of babies. You are dissatisfied (and perhaps satisfied) with the way your parents raised you, but you are going to raise yours differently. And when you have children ... you unconsciously begin to copy familiar methods. Just do not know how differently. This book will teach you a new approach, help you get rid of stereotypes and explain exactly how to interact with your child. A very useful acquisition for a home library.
Publisher: AST, Times 2
Mikhail Litvak - a recognized psychotherapist and author of more than 30 books on the topic of communication, this time took up the problems of education. In this book you will find a collection of articles for every taste and color. Here and tips on raising children of different ages, and issues related to communication with teachers and teachers, in short - everything that can be useful if your family grows up child. But the main theme of the book is love. “Learn to love each other just like that, not at all” - this is what the author advises us. It seems to us that this is good advice.
In fact, it is a collection of two books - “Secret Support: Attachment in a Child’s Life” and “If it is Difficult with a Child”. The titles speak for themselves, and the name Petranovskaya on the cover adds confidence that the book is mandatory for reading.
How to help a child in a difficult period of growing up and how to act in conflict situations, what lies behind the children's moods and how to raise a self-confident child about all this and much more in this great book.
Admit it, did the name intrigue you? Or maybe you have already heard about it - after all, a few years ago, this book wandered on the Internet, overgrown with rave reviews. They argued about it and continue to argue until now, since the topic of independence and infantilism of a new generation is one of the most acute in our time. How to ensure conditions for the child to learn to do everything himself, and the mother could be a “lazy mother”? Easy! And the book will teach you this.
Publisher: AST, Times 2
This is a new edition of bestseller Professor Yu.B. Hippenreiter. And if you have not read such books as “Communicate with a child. How? "," We continue to communicate with the child. So? "And the anthology" Parents. How to be a child ", then you will find a squeeze of the most important tips for young parents. After all, it is no longer possible to communicate with the children of the new generation and bring them up “in the old manner”. How to learn to talk with modern children and how to make children hear you and not listen? These questions have answers.
The most common mistakes of parents, as well as ways to avoid or correct them, are collected in this book. How to become a child friend, but not lose your credibility? How to respond to the whims and blackmail? Here you will find not only a lot of tips, but also incidents from life, as well as funny pictures illustrating them. And all this is from Olga Makhovskaya - the author of books and television programs, who made a huge contribution to the project “Sesame Street in Russia”.
And the last book in our collection - a bonus - with pictures! The author of the book, bringing up three children, made notes and sketches of what is happening in her family. It is these records she proposes to explore the readers. It is recommended to read not only to parents, but in general - to anyone who at least somehow contacts with children. After all, under this cover it is so clearly written (and drawn) why children lie, capricious or rude. Maybe this book will bring you inspiration, and you will also create a similar work about your family. We would be honored.