Shar Pei is a unique breed, which, moreover, is one of the most ancient (as DNA tests showed, it is about 3 thousand years old). By the way, from Chinese the name of the breed translates as "sand wool".
The country of origin is China, but there is no exact data on how exactly these animals occurred. Although there are two versions. According to the first, the ancestors of the Sharpey were the ancient mastiffs. Adherents of another version believe that these dogs are descended from sleek-haired chow-chows. Initially, the Shar Pei were fighting dogs, but then they were used as hunting and guard dogs.
The appearance of the representatives of this breed is very characteristic and unique, it can be seen in the photo. The first distinctive feature is pronounced and very deep folds. The number of them, by the way, should not be too large. Most often the folds are localized at the withers, at the base of the tail, and also on the frontal part of the muzzle. The second distinctive feature is the head, or rather its shape.
In some ways, it resembles the head of a hippopotamus, as it is stretched and enlarged in front of it and is rather large in relation to the proportions of the body. And the third feature is the color of the gums and tongue. Usually it is dark purple or blue-black. The body of the dog is muscular, the paws are well developed and rather wide apart.
The tail is large and set high. The eyes are almond-shaped. Sometimes it seems that the look is gloomy, but it is a certain feature of appearance. The ears are small, their tips hang down. Color can vary from fawn to chocolate or black. The coat is short, there is no undercoat.
The nature of the Shar-Pei can be called difficult, but still, some features suggest that such a dog is an excellent friend and a full-fledged member of the family. So, the characteristic features of the representatives of the breed:
- Aggression is extremely rare, mainly towards strangers or other animals. For children, these dogs are supportive, but only if they are used to them at an early age.
- Shar Pei is a very intelligent and intellectually developed dog that can catch the mood of the owners, as well as make decisions and understand a lot.
- Representatives of this breed are real owners, and not only with respect to their own territory, but also with respect to their owners, so jealousy is not uncommon.
- Shar Pei independent, freedom-loving, independent and have a developed sense of self-esteem, which sometimes greatly complicates education.
- These pets need constant communication with the owners, as well as with other people. In relation to strangers, they are incredulous, but they quickly make contact with familiar people.
- Shar Pei is very loyal.
- These are excellent defenders who will always come to the rescue in a difficult situation.
- Representatives of this breed are leaders in nature.
Is this breed suitable for you?
Shar Pei is a dog for experienced breeders, requiring increased attention to upbringing, as well as to health. In addition, these pets need frequent walks in open and large areas, as well as regular exercise. So if you are confident, have information about care and have free time, you can start a Shar-Pei.
How to choose a puppy?
Shar Pei puppies are incredibly cute. And how to choose the best?
- It is best to get acquainted with the parents, or at least to know their features.
- The optimal puppy age is 1.5-2 months.
- The puppy should be active, cheerful and vigorous.
- Male or bitch? Males are more active and brave, but sometimes stubborn. Bitches are sweet, more affectionate.
- Get a puppy from experienced breeders who have all the documents in their hands, or in specialized nurseries.
- The price of a puppy is on average 15-20 thousand rubles. Too low cost should be alarming.
What should be the proper care for the Shar Pei dog breed? The most important points:
- Bathing is required about once a month and a half. Use special shampoos designed for dogs of this breed. Make sure that the water does not fall into the ears (this is fraught with ear infections), during the procedure, gently plug the ear gaps with a cotton swab. Rinse the pleats thoroughly and dry the coat.
- As it becomes soiled, gently clean the pet's ears with a cotton swab dipped in sterile vaseline oil.
- Claws need to be cut with a special claw cutter as they grow (they grow quite quickly with Shar-Pei). Do not damage the vessels (they are visible in the light).
- Brush your pet 1-3 times a week using a quality brush with short teeth. During the molting procedure should be carried out daily.
Walking should be regular and daily. Shar Pei should spend on the street at least 1-2 hours a day (it is better to walk with your pet twice). And remember that your pet needs room for fun and outdoor games to spill energy.
Equip your pet a separate place, put a lounger, bowls of food and water, and also lay out a few toys.
The most important moments of education:
- Socialization is very important, that is, schooling to society. Starting to do it should be from an early age.
- Shar Pei are the leaders, so if the owners are too soft, then the pet will dominate and command everyone. So all family members should show their superiority and show rigor when necessary.
- Representatives of this breed are amenable to training, but sometimes they are very stubborn. Begin training should be with 3-4 months.
- Be patient, it will definitely come in handy for you!
Sharpei Optimal Nutrition is a specialized high-quality food designed specifically for members of this breed. If you prefer natural nutrition, then offer your dog fresh lean meat, cereals, vegetables (not provoking increased gas formation).
Food should be thick or dry; mashed potatoes or soups can lead to indigestion. Do not give your pet sweet, fatty, smoked, salted, pickled. Do not overfeed sharpei! If necessary, start giving your pet vitamins (as recommended by the veterinarian).
Possible diseases and problems
Shar Pei are sick quite often, especially with inadequate care. The most common diseases and problems:
- Skin diseases such as pyoderma, demodicosis, seborrhea and others.
- Hip or elbow dysplasia.
- Tumors of internal organs and glands.
- Diseases of the digestive system: pancreatitis, mega esophagus (increase in the size of the esophagus).
- Allergic reactions to products or components of the environment.
- Eye and eyelid diseases, such as glaucoma or entropion (bloat of a century that can lead to blindness and requires surgery).
May your pet always be healthy, satisfied and happy!
History of origin
It is believed that dogs are direct descendants of one of the four basic breeds. There are several versions of their origin. According to one of them, the birthplace of animals is the Chinese province of Kwong Tung on the shores of the China Sea. According to the second, Tibet or North China.
Establish the true origin and history of Sharpey is now impossible. Almost all the documents that could clarify this issue, destroyed long before our era.
It is believed that chow-chow and mastiffs were used to breed the modern breed. Version has the right to exist. Both chow-chow and shar-pei have a similar constitution. In addition, these are the only dogs with the original blue-black pigmentation of the tongue.
Researchers managed to find out that Shar Pei were once fighting dogs. Stiff and prickly wool, powerful and massive body made the ancient dogs strong and dangerous opponents. But due to the numerous crossings, the modern breed lacks fighting qualities. Animals are too friendly, therefore they are not suitable for the role of working dogs.
A few centuries later, the ancestors of dogs became companions and assistants in the household of Chinese peasants. Intelligent and loyal dogs were used to protect houses and livestock, hunting, were considered the faithful companions of noble people.
Destruction and revival of the Shar Pei breed
Strong, intelligent and beautiful dogs have long remained faithful friends of man. But the troubled times, constant wars and devastation led to the fact that by the middle of the XVII century. about sharpei almost forgotten. Interest in the breed disappeared, its number declined.
In the XX century. Sharpey virtually destroyed. This is due to the exorbitant taxes imposed on dog owners in China. Pets were considered a sign of excessive luxury, a worthless toy.
Surprisingly, attention to endangered dogs was attracted not by cynologists or kennel clubs, but by the Guinness Book of Records. Sharpeyov called the rarest breed in the world. Only in the middle of the last century, thanks to the lucky chance and enthusiasm of the breeders, was the breed managed to be revived.
Appearance description and standards
Shar Pei are powerful, strong-built, heavy dogs of medium size, with lively and active behavior.
- The weight of an adult dog ranges from 18 to 25 kg,
- height - from 40 to 51 cm.
Males are usually more massive and larger than females.
A striking feature of the breed is wool. It is short, tough and protruding. The color can be different: black, cream, dark red or brown, beige. Only completely white color or marks (spots) of this color are not allowed. A smooth transition from dark shades of wool to light is not considered a disadvantage.
However, Sharpei’s business card is leather. The whole body, muzzle and even the paws are covered with numerous folds. Due to this, the appearance of the dog becomes very unusual, causing a constant delight.
Sharpey's body build is square. Head in relation to the body looks quite large. The muzzle is broad, looks like a hippopotamus. Eyes and nose should be dark (black). Although for animals with cream or beige wool, light shades are permissible.
Sharpei's ears are very small, slightly rounded at the ends, set high. Barely covered ears - the weak point of dogs. They need a careful and careful care, protection from the ingress of water.
If a puppy is purchased for participation in exhibitions, then close attention should be paid to the shape of the tail. Three options are allowed:
- most preferred - high set in the form of a ring, hanging to the side,
- bent but not touching the back,
- twisted loosely.
Regardless of the shape, the tail should be set high, thick at the base and thin at the tip.
Characteristics and behavior
The main features of Sharpey's character are loyalty, intelligence, intelligence and vigilance. At first glance it seems that a calm dog with a balanced psyche will not give the owners any problems. But it is not so.
Independence and excessive caution are the causes of stubbornness, sometimes disobedience. If the puppy does not understand who the “leader in the pack” (family) will feel is the weakness of the host’s character, there can be no question of any obedience. Pet from the first days of stay in the house, you need to clearly indicate its place.
Shar Pei, like the Chow, do not like training and are not very inclined to learn. To memorize one team they need from 20 to 50 repetitions. The reason for this is not low intelligence, but a tendency to laziness and independence. If Shar-Pei does not see the point in executing the command, he begins to ignore orders, simply deals with his, more interesting, deeds.
Shar Pei is quite restrained. The manifestation of aggression towards people or animals is not peculiar to them. In order for an obedient and calm dog to grow out of a puppy, it must be socialized as soon as possible. Teach the basics of interaction with animals, family members, strangers.
Features care and maintenance
Sharpei are great for living in an urban environment. They practically do not fade. Very quickly understand how to behave in the apartment. Representatives of the breed do not have the habit of spoiling things or nibbling furniture. Savvy dogs quickly get used to the mode of the day. Understand that you can not go to the toilet indoors.
Pets periodically combed out to remove dead hair. Sometimes bathe, but with great care. Sharpey's open ears are their weak point. Water can cause infection. For washing use only special shampoos for animals. Otherwise, skin irritation, an allergic reaction. The skin folds are thoroughly washed to remove residual detergent. And then dry well with a hairdryer.
Shar Pei are not adapted for keeping in an aviary or on the street. Firstly, their character deteriorates. Secondly, they do not tolerate bad weather, severe cold. But this does not mean that walking with a pet living in the city can be minimized.
Physical activity and long walks allow the dog to throw out excess energy. It means that the pet will behave calmly at home. Sharpey owners should know that pets can not tolerate a long stay of the sun. In the heat should not load the dog too active exercises. Otherwise, do not avoid heat stroke.
It is recommended to feed young sharpeys with dry food. From one and a half years can be transferred to natural food:
- the basis of the diet is meat, fish, offal,
- dairy products (cottage cheese, kefir),
- vegetables and fruits (in small quantities),
- vitamins, mineral supplements.
The peculiarity of the digestive system is the short and small intestines. Therefore, the food should be thick and solid. Otherwise, there are problems with the stomach, kidneys.
How to choose a Shar Pei puppy
The cost of a puppy depends on many factors. Including the titles of parents, pedigree, health, compliance with the standard. It starts from 5 and reaches 40 thousand rubles.
Naturally, to buy an animal with a balanced psyche, good physical data from healthy parents, in most cases it is possible only in a specialized nursery or from trusted breeders.
If a dog is acquired not for participation in exhibitions, then small defects of the exterior do not play a big role. The main thing that the pet was:
- not aggressive or cowardly
- moderately well-fed,
- with healthy and clean hair, skin, eyes and ears.
The future participant of exhibitions and competitions are subject to more serious requirements. It is important and pedigree, and the availability of documents, and appearance.
For whatever purpose Shar Pei is purchased, it is important to remember that buying a dog is a serious step. You need to understand that the next 12-15 years, you become responsible for the life and health of a four-legged friend.
Material prepared: Margarita Olegusna Samusik
journalist, ecologist, curator of materials on animals and birds,
come from a professional family (father is a zoologist, mother is a felinologist)
Shar Pei is an ancient and one of the most amazing dog breeds in the world. Charming appearance makes it look like a plush toy. But, despite the "frivolous" appearance, Shar Pei did not lose his working qualities.
Now, at the beginning of the XXI century, according to the classification of FCI, These dogs belong to the breeds of the Molossian or Dog-shaped group..
This is an attentive and careful animal, whose distinctive features are short and hard prickly wool, numerous folds on the head and on the body, and a tail curled over the back or rolled into a ring.
Another unusual feature of these dogs is the language of blue-violet or light lilac (lavender) hue. In addition to Shar-Pei, a dark tongue is also found among chow-chows, which suggests that they had common ancestors.
On the street, Shar Pei behaves independently and even arrogant, distrustful of others. The latter circumstance makes him a good guard.
These dogs have two official homelands: China, where they appeared about three thousand years ago, and the USA, where, after long breeding work, breeders developed a modern type of Shar-Pei, very different from the traditional Chinese.
Shar Pei - a native of the southern provinces of China, this breed has existed for centuries on the coast of the South China Sea.
Shar Pei came to America in the 60s of the XX century, when they were almost destroyed in their historic homeland. In the USA, the breed was not only restored, but, having survived its rebirth, began a triumphal march around the world.
History and origin
The history of Sharpey has about three thousand years. The first mention of similar dogs and their images belong to the Han dynasty.
The appearance of the first Sharpeys is a mystery hidden in the depths of the centuries, since by order of Emperor Qin Shi Huang, his dignitaries destroyed all the records about the origin of these dogs. According to one modern version, wrinkled dogs are descended from dog-shaped eastern breeds; according to another hypothesis, their ancestors were chow-chows.
The main argument of the supporters of the second hypothesis is that the representatives of both these breeds have black and blue languages. But the fact that there are other Asian breeds with similar pigmentation of languages is missed here, nobody has heard about these dogs in the West.
In ancient China, the Shar-Pei quickly gained popularity, becoming a universal hunting, shepherd, and guard breed. Некоторое время их использовали и для собачьих боев, хоть они сильно и уступали более крупным собакам, завезенным в Китай из других стран. Для того чтобы они успешно сражались с другими псами, им давали специальные стимуляторы, повышающие агрессию, так как уже тогда эти животные отличались ласковым и добрым характером.
For centuries, these dogs have been loyal and devoted friends and companions of Chinese peasants and sailors. But after the communist system was established in China in the 1940s and exorbitant taxes were imposed on keeping dogs, people began to get rid of their pets en masse.
By 1950, only a few of the Sharpeys survived. These were mainly dogs living in the rural outback, and those that were brought into Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan and other Chinese islands.
In the first half of the 1970s, work began on the restoration of the Sharpei, but by this time they were considered an endangered breed. Several dogs were brought to Hong Kong, where experts and engaged in their breeding. Because of the small number of livestock, then Shar Pei were breeding without documents about the origin, also closely related interbreeding was widely used.
At that time there were many types of these dogs, but afterwards the most preferred type was chosen from the whole variety, and with further breeding the breeders were already oriented towards it.
Later, eight Sharpeys were taken from Hong Kong to the USA, where, due to a lack of manufacturers, they knit with representatives of similar breeds of dogs, such as Chow-chow, Bullmastiff, Bulldog, Bull Terrier and even a German boxer. That is why American breeding dogs differ so much from the native Chinese breed. For the same reason, sharpei litters still contain such artifacts as long and soft “bear” wool, as well as tiger and black and tan (or, less commonly, brown and blue) tan colors, which are a marriage of the breed.
What does it look like?
What does this incredible dog look like, which came from ancient Eastern legends and managed to win the love and recognition of millions of people? The first thing you notice when you see a Shar-Pei is its skin, covered with many folds of different thickness. It seems that the dog put on someone else's skin for growth. In adult representatives of this breed, folds are preserved only at the withers, on the neck and on the head, where they form a semblance of hieroglyphs. The puppies have folds so much that when the Sharpeyon sits, they slide it onto the croup and hind legs.
Another feature of dogs of this breed is blue or light lilac (lavender) language, which is inherent only in Shar-Pei and Chow Chows. The latter circumstance suggests that either of these two breeds had common ancestors, or the dogs of one of them were descendants of the other.
The main argument of the supporters of this hypothesis is that there is a short-haired variety of chow-chow - smooths, which may be the closest relatives or even the ancestors of the Shar-Pei.
But what no other breed of dog has, and what is one of the main distinguishing features of the Shar-Pei, is short, hard and spiky wool. It can be one of two types - horse or brush. Wool in dogs of the first type is very short and tough, and if you hold your hand against the fur of a Horsy Shar-Pei, you will feel as if touching a sandy surface. Brasch Sharpei wool is longer and not so tough. Visually, it gives them extra volume, which is why brushes always look more plump than Horses.
Sharpei has one more external feature: small ears that are tight to the touch. In some dogs, they are so small that they barely cover the ear canal.
The tail of these dogs also deserves special mention. Most often he is thrown over his back and twisted into a tight ring. In some members of this breed, it forms a double curl, and the stronger the tail is curled, the better. Most valued tail in the form of a Chinese coin.
The eyes of Sharpei have a typically eastern expression: they are rather narrow and slightly slanting, and the folds of skin hanging over them reinforce this impression. Because of this, Shar-Pei seems to resemble an ancient Chinese sage reflecting on the meaning of life.
What is it for?
Initially, these dogs were bred as fighting, but over time, when other breeds that were better adapted to fighting were brought to China, Shar Pei became universal dogs, which were used as hunting, shepherd and guard.
Fight dog or not
Despite the fact that at one time Sharpey was considered fighting, Nowadays, these dogs have long become just companion dogs.. At the same time, most of them have guarding qualities since childhood and perfectly guard the house or apartment.
Once upon a time Sharpey themselves used to hunt. In ancient China, these dogs hunted wild boars and other large animals, since smaller animals, like a rabbit or a bird, these dogs instinctively burst, once they grab it.
In our time, Shar Pei can hardly be considered good hunters, although they still have hunting instincts. But due to the fact that when breeding the modern type of this breed, far from hunting dogs were used, Shar Pei have long become a "search and search" breed: now they are not looking for game, but a sofa or chair to sleep on.
Advantages and disadvantages
The breed has its advantages and disadvantages. The advantages are:
- spectacular appearance
- good watchman
- loyal to his owner and his family members
- gets along well with children
- affectionate and kind to his, but mistrustful of strangers,
- incredibly smart
- for its wool is easy to care for.
Of the minuses noted:
- some sharpeys have a difficult character,
- most of the representatives of this breed are arrogant and too independent, which is far from being pleasant to all their owners,
- susceptibility to allergies and skin diseases,
- may show aggression towards other dogs.
It should be remembered that these dogs are far from plush toys, but strong and self-confident animals that need to be properly educated and trained, otherwise there will be problems in the future.
These dogs, due to their own eccentricity, may not be too favorable to children, if they have not grown up with them from an early age or have not been properly socialized.
Do not forget that Sharpei’s strong hunting instincts get along very badly with other animals in the house, especially with rabbits or guinea pigs.
Shar Pei can live in the countryside and in the city, but these dogs can not tolerate a cold weather due to the almost complete lack of undercoat, and their hard and short guard hair almost does not protect against frost. In the cold season it is necessary to keep the Shar Pei exclusively in the house. In addition, in severe frosts, he should go for walks only in warm overalls.
Because of the folds hanging on the sides of the eyes, the viewing angle of these dogs is narrowed, so the dog does not see very well. She may be frightened if you abruptly reach out to her or unexpectedly sit down beside her.
This breed has a predisposition to a variety of diseases, among which the frequency of allergies and eye inflammation. It is necessary to take a responsible approach to taking care of the pet's health: to vaccinate in time and protect the dog from overheating or overcooling. The question of proper nutrition should also come first.
How many live?
The average lifespan of Sharpei is from 8 to 12 years, but this is the case when the dog is healthy and never seriously ill.
By the life of the Sharpey can be divided into 3 categories:
- Due to past illnesses and improper care, they do not even live to the age of one.
- Due to kidney problems, they "go away" in 3-5 years. These dogs were also not very well cared for and did not monitor their health.
- In other cases, Shar Pei live up to 10 years or more.
At home with good care, representatives of this breed can live up to 14 years and at the same time, until the last months of life, they remain as healthy and vigorous as they were in their young years. Is that can become a little less active, as is always the case with older dogs.
Sharpei not adapted for life on the street. They can live there in the warm season, but with the onset of cold weather, they must either be taken into the house, or provide the dogs with a heated aviary.
The life of a Shar-Pei, who lives on the street all year round, depends on many causes and risks. And usually it is much less than the life of dogs of the same breed, contained in an apartment, in a house, or those who are taken from the street before the onset of frost.
Sharpei males have a mean lifespan, even among them are long-livers. If the dog has no health problems, if the owners take care of him and ensure that he feeds properly, then he has every chance to live to old age.
Females sometimes have health problems after giving birth and feeding puppies. Because of this, they can live fewer males. There is an opinion that dogs-girls, which were sterilized before the first heat flow in them, live longer, but this is a controversial statement. A dog's lifespan largely depends not so much on whether it was tied, but on the conditions of detention, feeding, past diseases and heredity.
Sharpei - long-lived
Some dogs of this breed live to be 15 or more years old. However, they, as a rule, do not avoid such problems as blindness, deafness, tooth loss. They also have chronic diseases peculiar to the "old men" of all breeds.
Shar Pei is a true aristocrat: noble, courageous, proud, and sometimes arrogant, should wear a proper nickname. These are intelligent animals, to which a special approach may be necessary. They distrust strangers, but they are infinitely kind and affectionate towards the owners and their family members.
True, sometimes the charming "bun" -sharpey is stubborn and naughty. Most often this happens when the owner tries to "push" the dog and force him to do something that he does not want to do.
At home, surrounded by their favorite owners, SharPaychikov are gentle and playful. They are not for nothing called kissing dogs: they now and then they strive to lick in the face of someone from the members of their "own" family, while sometimes they are too intrusive and can be offended, if the owner does not allow them to lick themselves.
Due to its funny and charming appearance, Shar Pei has long become not rare, but one of the most common dog breeds, coming to the end of the XX century on the 17th place in popularity. And not without reasons: after all, besides the spectacular appearance, they have many other advantages, but Sharpey's uncomplicated grooming and medium size make it an ideal breed for housing in urban apartments..
In 70 g of XX century. Chinese breeders tried to keep the surviving representatives of the Sharpey and crossed them with dogs of English, European and German breeds. Since then, the Shar Pei breed has been developing in two directions - Chinese and American. According to the descriptions of the breed - it is a strong, active dog with a dense build. The size of males exceed the size of females in height and weight.
- The weight of an adult dog is 18-25 kg, the height at the withers is 46-51 cm.
- The head is round, massive, the muzzle is wide along the entire length - from the beginning of the forehead to the tip of the nose.
- The nose is voluminous, the ear is mostly dark in color or in color.
- The eyes are medium-sized, almond-shaped, deep-set, of a dark color.
- Ears are triangular in shape, dense, set high.
- The neck is muscular, strong, of medium length.
- The body is square, with numerous skin folds, which are the hallmark of the breed. Topline straight, chest wide.
- The coat is short, hard, the tail is of medium length.
- Limbs straight, muscular, set in parallel.
In the features of the Shar Pei breed, any monochromatic color is considered:
In light colors, gray shades are allowed. Also provided for the presence of a dark mask on the face. Metis and albinos do not belong to breeding dogs and are considered a deviation from the accepted standard.
Shar Pei is a calm, intelligent, independent and dedicated dog. She has a high level of intelligence, a strong nervous system and independence. This is a perfect watchman and true friends.
- Brave and courageous dogs, always ready to protect the owner and his family.
- Hard to endure loneliness.
- They are jealous, but peaceful in relation to other pets living in the family.
- Get on well with children due to their loyal character.
- They are wary of strangers, they don’t like it when strangers stroke their heads.
- Aggressive towards other dogs.
- Have an increased desire for leadership and independence in the house.
- Do not tolerate manifestations of rude tones and physical violence by the owner.
- Difficult to tolerate high humidity in the air, do not like to walk in rainy weather.
IMPORTANT! Initially, Sharpey brought up both guard and fighting dogs. Therefore, it is important at an early age to provide the puppy with adaptation to the society, otherwise there is a risk to raise an aggressive dog.
Shar Pei Training
Genetically in Sharpey laid the tendency to dominance and independence. In raising and training these animals need a patient and morally strong person. In the early stages of upbringing, it is important to build a relationship with a puppy in which you will become the absolute leader with untouchable authority. Only then will you manage to incline your pet to obedience and execution of commands.
These dogs are rather stubborn, but with the right methods of upbringing, they are quickly accustomed to the toilet and do not spoil household items. With enough patience from the owner, these dogs are trainable. You can raise an animal both on the street and at home.
If you do not know how to raise puppies, follow these guidelines:
- begin to teach the dog from the first days of appearance in the house, at the age of 3 months, proceed to the general course of training,
- socialize your puppy, teach them to play and interact with other people, animals,
- exclude aggression and raised tones in the education of the dog,
- provide your pet with regular, active walks,
- teach the dog basic command set,
- be consistent, require tasks
- control the behavior of the animal, direct its energy in the right direction,
- Encourage your pet to enjoy the commands
- stop the behavior of the dog without violence,
- forbid outsiders to participate in the education of Shar Pei.
Without proper upbringing and socialization, dogs grow aggressive towards others. They need a strict, firm and fair leader. The owner can not relax, how many live these dogs - you will need to show perseverance in education.
Care and health
The life span of these dogs is short and is 8-10 years, with proper care of the dog.
The Shar Pei breed has a calm temperament, which makes it easy to keep them in an apartment. Having a short coat, they do not require special conditions for care.
But the basic rules - how to care, how to wash a pet to maintain a healthy and beautiful appearance - every owner must know.
Hygiene and dog health
- They do not like water, they are required to be bathed as they are polluted with special shampoos. They do not need wool cutting, it is recommended to comb them once a week and 2 times a week during the moult.
- Check your pet's ears weekly, regularly using a cotton swab to get rid of excess sulfur.
- From an early age teach your dog to claw haircut. Catch your pet claws as you grow 1 mm.
- Wipe your eyes regularly with a damp cotton pad. Because of the many folds on the face, make sure that there is no twisting of the eyelids.
- To clean your teeth, use toothpaste or powder for dogs. During the change of teeth, control their proper growth and the formation of bite.
- Favorable age for mating comes at the age of 2 years. But consider the physiological features of the development of dogs. In some members of the breed, puberty may occur earlier, in others - later.
Shar Pei Diseases
Before reaching the age of one year, Sharpey must undergo three stages of vaccination.
In the future, vaccinations are made annually to protect the dog from various diseases of the breed and to provide strong immunity.
When starting a pet, each owner must know how to identify the first signs of ailments and how to provide first aid. Regularly visit the veterinarian for preventive examinations and prevention of diseases in the early stages of its development.
The most common diseases are:
It is important to identify the first signs of the disease in time and to seek help and prescription of treatment.
Special attention should be paid to proper diet. Dogs are prone to obesity and food allergies. When choosing what kind of food to indulge your pet, give preference to dry food, which include the necessary vitamins and minerals.
The number of feedings of an adult dog is 2 times a day, a puppy - 3-6 times.
Determine what to feed your pet, include in the diet the following products:
- boiled and raw meat (veal, chicken),
- sea fish,
- dairy products,
- boiled offal (lungs, liver, kidneys),
- vegetables in boiled and raw,
- cereals (buckwheat, rice, millet, oatmeal),
- vegetable and butter,
- chicken eggs.
Sharpei have short and small intestines, therefore it is important to feed all the food in a grind form for better digestion and digestion. It is forbidden to feed the dog with various soups, they lead to a stretching of the stomach.
Содержание собаки шарпей
Шарпей небольшая собака и отлично подходит для содержания в городских квартирах.
- Приобретите специальную посуду для кормления, как правило, это две миски под еду и воду.
- Choose a spacious place for your pet, preferably not in the aisle and not in drafts.
- Make a pet bed from a medium-hard mat with interchangeable sheets.
- Buy a collar and leash. If the dog is too aggressive - get a muzzle of leather.
- Provide active walks to the animal at least 2 times a day to keep the dog in good physical shape.
- Purchase pet care products and take care of the contents of the veterinary kit.
- Spoil the dog with various rubber toys and cleaning bones for teeth.
- When choosing clothes for your pet, proceed from the color of his coat and the reaction to cold weather.
To learn more about the Shar Pei breed check out the photos.
Where to buy a puppy
Today, the former rarity of the breed is “fixed”, therefore the cost of a club puppy with a pedigree starts from only 40,000 rubles. The price depends on several factors: how much are the parents, whether they took part in exhibitions and competitions. If you want cheap to buy a puppy without documents, then count on the amount of 8 000 rubles.
Nurseries in Russia and Ukraine
It is advisable to acquire a Shar Pei dog in specialized kennels from experienced breeders.
Choosing where to buy a puppy, collect the necessary information about kennels, read reviews about breeders. When buying a baby, specify what kind of litter it is, what parents look like, whether they participated in specialized exhibitions, what they were ill with, what to feed a puppy, whether breeders breed mini or standard animals.
Stopping your choice on Shar-Pei, you will find an infinitely loyal friend, a fearless defender and a great companion.
Why does the dog fold?
Returning to the folds of Shar-Pei, we can say that, thanks to them, this breed is considered the owner of the most unusual appearance. But It is worth noting that deep wrinkles and folds are not only for beauty, they are necessary for a dog to protect all its internal organs during fierce battles. After all, Shar Pei is a fighting breed.. Translated from the Chinese "Shar Pei" is translated as "Sand hide". In other words, the name of the breed suggests that the dog has hard and short fur, which, together with the subcutaneous fat, is a reliable and excellent obstacle for any attacker.
These numerous folds have become the merit of Chinese breedingists who want to create a dog protector, which could protect the houses and pastures, as well as participate in dog fights, where its "hilly" skin acted as armor. If earlier breeders tried to cultivate as much aggression and fighting qualities as possible in this breed, today breeders prefer to bring up a calm Shar Pei companion.
Photo: Shar Pei breed
Shar Pei breed standard
Recent changes to the standards of this beautiful breed were made in 1999. The general description suggests that the Shar Pei is a very agile, active, sociable dog with a strong, dense build. Growth is average, square format. The muzzle is a bit like hippo. The body is covered with numerous skin folds. The size of males is much more impressive than the size of females.
- Head Shar-Pei should seem a bit large in relation to his torso. The skull is flat and wide. There are even skin folds on the head, on the cheeks and on the forehead. The nose should be wide and large. Nostrils large, well opened. Color can be black or in tone to the main color of the dog.
- Muzzle Shar Pei should be wide, but in no case, not pointed to the nose. The lips and the tip of the nose have a special swelling. It is assumed that there may be a small elevation or bump on the nose. Obligatory and distinctive feature is dark blue tongue, the sky, gums and lips. But the language of some Shar-Pei may be pink-spotted, however, evenly bright pink color of the tongue is completely not allowed.
- The jaw This dog is very powerful and strong. Scissor bite.
- Eyes Shar Pei is another distinctive feature. They are almond-shaped and dark in color. But the most important thing is the look of the dog: he is always gloomy.
- Ears small, dense, triangular shape. On the skull planted high enough. The tips of the ears are slightly directed towards the eyes of the dog and slightly rounded. They are set wide apart, but fit snugly to the skull. Deviations from the standard are standing ears.
- Tail the Shar Pei should be round and thick, and its tip slightly narrowed. A characteristic feature of this breed is that their tail is set high enough on the back. It can be bent, or twisted, or thrown on its back or side. A serious disadvantage is the complete or partial absence of the tail.
- Front and rear limbs Shar-Pei equal, arranged wide and parallel to each other. On the limbs and legs should not be folds. Folds on the thigh, shin, ankle are also unacceptable. Shar Pei should move "trot". But at the same time, all his movements must be harmonious, balanced and free. During the run, a strong push of the hind limbs and a wide reach is noticeable.
- Wool Shar Pei is his "armor". This is another special feature of the breed, its main distinguishing feature. The coat should be very stiff, bristly. The hair is short, straight, raised above the skin, but tight to the limbs. The undercoat of this breed is not. The length of the hair should not exceed 2-2.5 cm. The color can be very diverse, but not white.
The preferred weight of Shar Pei is from 18 to 25 kg, height - from 45 to 50 cm. Naturally, males are much larger than bitches and have a more square shape.
To serious disadvantages, which may affect the "pure breed" Shar-Pei include:
- big ears,
- lack of scissors bite,
- low set tail
- pointed to the nose,
- spotted tongue (except pink spotted),
- too soft and long hair.
Shar Pei Intellect
Shar Pei need early socialization, otherwise they may become overly aggressive. In general, Shar Pei gets along well with other pets, but some Shar Pei are very aggressive towards other dogs. And although it is possible to raise such wonderful companions by the appearance of such wonderful dogs, initially they are aggressive.
In all existing descriptions of this breed focuses on the mind, intelligence and development of Shar Pei. It is worth noting that in combination with their delicate, calm, but firm character, the mind of Shar-Pei extols it over other quadrupeds.
Shar Pei is very devoted to his master and his family. Therefore, they painfully tolerate the presence of outsiders on their territory. We can say that Shar Pei is the owner, who will never share the most expensive thing he has for anything. This man may well become expensive, that is, his master. It is because of this character trait that Shar Pei became excellent defenders and guards.
There is a stereotype that Shar Pei are very slow and indecisive dogs, but this is not at all the case. They are courageous and courageous, in a matter of seconds these dogs can make an independent decision and proceed to action. All this thanks to their intelligence and athleticism, of course.
It should be noted that another great quality Shar Pei, which allows you to keep this dog in the apartment, is composure. In other words, if you had to leave Shar-Pei alone for a while, then you can not worry about your furniture and shoes, as Shar-Pei will definitely not nibble and spoil it. Despite the fact that he really needs to communicate with people, is very sad and bored alone, he will not be a mischief, and it is better to wait patiently for your return.
One of the main reasons for their ingenuity is independence and independence. That is why the Shar-Pei in no case can not be locked in a close enclosure or in a cage, as he must feel its importance and the fact that the whole territory is under his control.
Photo: Sharpei puppy
Sharpei is recommended for people with strong and firm character. This is due to the fact that Shar Pei love to lead and "rule". If you do not put the dog "in place" in time, do not show who is the master of the house, then the dog will definitely take advantage of this wonderful opportunity and begin to rule everything and everyone around. But it should be noted that, despite their desire to command and resolve all issues on their own, all their actions are completely devoid of aggression. They are very obedient, patient, loyal and intelligent.
Shar Pei has a slightly formidable and gloomy appearance. But this is only a “wrapper”, behind which lies a kind, sociable and in need of caress and care. Shar Pei love good company, including young children. With his family dog is more than benevolent and intelligent. But this does not mean that the pet will gladly fulfill all your requests and whims. Due to the fact that Shar Pei from the very puppy age tends to independence, all his life he will be guided solely by his preferences and considerations. Because of this, it may mistakenly seem that the dog is very stubborn, harmful and unsociable.
Pets of this breed are always wary of any attention to their person from a stranger. They do not even give to approach them, not to mention the fact that the stranger stroked him. Therefore, it is important to engage in timely socialization of the dog. The process of education should begin from the first days of the appearance of a puppy in your home. The only thing that can become a hindrance in the successful adaptation of a dog in society is modesty and a desire to stay in a calm atmosphere, instead of creating an enthusiastic bustle around.
Like all other Asian breeds, Shar Pei are owners of excellent intuition. We can say that they are psychologists. These pets are able to catch a wave of mood of the owner and family members, can almost at a glance to recognize the threat in a person or other animal.
One has only to remember that if you decide to become a happy master of Shar-Pei, then get ready to become a real "leader." Because this dog throughout life will test you for patience and self-control. The owner must have a "cold" head, a "hard" hand and an "iron" will. Only then can you find a faithful, loyal and reliable friend.
Training, training and education of the Shar Pei breed
In general, Shar Pei are cute, sociable and intelligent dogs that can get along well with other pets and with people. But this is possible only after proper and timely socialization. Otherwise, the dog may become aggressive, which will fully correspond to its gloomy appearance. In order to raise a wonderful companion and a true friend from Shar Pei, you will have to work hard and hard.
If you are a novice dog breeder, then learning Shar Pei may seem impracticable to you. But it is not. These dogs perfectly remember the commands and requests, the only problem is that, often, they resist these commands and do not want to fulfill them. All this is due to their stubbornness and innate sense of independence.
At the age of 3-4 months, Shar Pei can safely begin to train. If from the same age to teach a pet to strangers and other animals, it will be possible to significantly soften the natural dominant nature of the dog. It is necessary to acquaint a little Shar-Pei with everyone: with cats, with representatives of other dog breeds, with people. It is necessary to constantly involve the pet in the game with the children. If done correctly, then growing up, Shar Pei will be much more patient and calmer.
Only reasonable severity can overcome the disposition and temperament of Shar Pei. Even the very first fundamentals of training and the base of obedience must begin with a “firm” intonation and decisive action. At the first stage it is worth learning the commands such as “To me”, “Location” and “No!” With the dog.
But in no case should severity pass into aggression, and even less into violence. After all, Shar Pei are very sensitive animals, so even the slightest hint of rude treatment can wipe out all the prospects for friendly relations. Remember that rigor should be fair. The process of training and learning should take place not in fear, but in complete trust and respect for each other.
What to feed sharpei
As for feeding, there are some features. The fact is that some members of this breed do not have a good appetite, and some even refuse to feed them. You can improve your appetite with the help of physical exertion, walks. But sometimes the pet simply refuses to feed, despite the feeling of hunger. In this case, you need to change the feed.
Shar Pei is quite sensitive to the quality and composition of the feed. They absolutely can not be overfeeding, as they can turn into a hulking and lazy creature, and it can also have a negative impact on the health of the dog's kidneys. This breed is very prone to food allergies, so do not change feed often and introduce significant changes in the food system.
Up to one and a half years, Shar Pei is recommended to be fed with special dry food with additives, vitamins and minerals. And only when the dog turns 1.5 years old, and when its appetite starts to noticeably deteriorate, then you can switch to traditional organic food. Ideally, this could be 2 types of meat (beef and chicken), several types of vegetables and cereals. It should be noted that all food must be thick or dry. Charpey is strictly forbidden to give liquid soups or just broths. To make the food balanced, a couple of times a week you can be pampered with eggs, fish or kefir.
Meals should be two meals. Shar Pei is prone to overweight, so if you notice that your dog has gained extra pounds, then reduce the cereal and carbohydrates in its menu. Of course, dry food is considered more practical and balanced than natural, but the fact is that Shar-Pei can quickly get bored with the monotony in food.
Possible diseases and congenital abnormalities
In general, Shar Pei have excellent immunity and are sick very rarely. But there are such special cases when even experienced vets can not determine the cause of some symptoms. A healthy dog should not exude an unpleasant smell "dog", its folds should be dry and clean, eyes shiny, nose wet. Since sharpei ears are poorly ventilated, this can cause some problems. Therefore, for prophylaxis 2-3 times a week it is necessary to examine the dog's ears, clean with a cotton swab and close them during water procedures.
If the nutrition of the Shar Pei was incorrectly balanced, then he may have food allergies. It is expressed by redness of the eyes, inflammation of the ears, bowel disorder, severe tearing and salivation. Eczema and blistering may appear on the skin, hair may fall off, the dog’s muzzle will swell, the temperature will rise, the dog will become lethargic.
With improper skin care, numerous microorganisms and fungi will actively develop between the folds. It is not necessary to wipe the skin every day, you only need to bathe in time and dry thoroughly. Often, skin folds hang over the eyelid and rub the cornea. In this case, use special brackets, through which the skin fold is lifted upward. It should be noted that more than half of puppies need such an operation.
Read more on this page: Sharpei Diseases
Shar Pei also often wraps the eyelid inside. This will also help timely operation.
There is another specific disease called Sharpei Fever. It is characteristic only of a representative of this breed and is characterized by a sharp increase in temperature, tremor of the whole body, swelling of the joints. In such a situation, it is recommended to give the dog an injection of analgin, diphenhydramine and no-shpa.
How to choose a puppy and where it is better to buy a dog
First, find a reliable and trusted breeder who can provide you with all the documents and references. After you saw the plush splendor, consisting of "wrinkled" clumps of tots, it is time I was guided by useful tips:
- age 1.5-2 months
- average size (not too small and not the largest),
- clean ears, eyes, wet nose,
- shiny wool
- plump appearance
- active behavior
- good appetite,
- no obvious defects and lameness,
- absence of umbilical hernia (soft growth in the abdomen),
- square head and blue tongue.
But, of course, the most important thing is mutual attraction and sympathy. A puppy should not react aggressively to its future owner.
Sharpei puppies cost ranges from $ 100 for a dog without documents and from $ 500 for puppies with
good pedigree, whose parents are champions of prestigious dog shows.