If you have never tried falafel, then you can be sure you have lost a lot! Delicate filling of fragrant balls, captured in a crispy golden crust, causes appetite even for those who are not hungry at all, which is not surprising, because the perfect recipe of the dish was painstakingly created over the centuries, the unsuccessful combinations of ingredients were discarded, which ultimately led to the ideal result.
Falafel is called the traditional Arabic dish, although there are a lot of controversies on this account, as well as on the legend of the origin of the dish.
Today, this dish is popularly popular in Israel, where it is eaten almost every day, changing only sauces and varying the serving.
But not only in Israel, but also in other eastern countries, you can find and try this dish, it is often served in snack bars, traditionally wrapped in a pitta, along with fresh vegetables, sauces and pickles.
Cooking falafel is quite realistic and at home, the main thing is to stock up on the main ingredient of the dish. Basically, falafel is prepared from chickpeas, sometimes beans are added.
Chickpea is very similar to ordinary peas, it is even called "Turkish" or "mutton peas."
In the dried state, it can be stored for years, but after soaking chickpeas must be consumed in the next few days.
It is thanks to the main ingredient of the dish, falafel is considered not only a very tasty creation of Arabic cuisine, but also incredibly useful, because chickpeas are a real storehouse of useful microelements, vitamins and other substances.
In addition, it is called the best sources of vegetable protein, which is easily digested, for which it is highly valued in countries with hot climates. Another plus of chickpea balls - this dish can become a regular of the vegetarian menu, because falafel easily becomes both a snack and a decent meat substitute for the main course.
Some cooking secrets
- To dry chickpeas well softened, and it was really possible to turn it into a homogeneous mass, soak it for at least 8 hours.
- Typically, a variety of spices are added to chickpea puree, most often parsley, cilantro, chopped garlic and coriander seeds.
- To make the falafel more tender, you can add a couple of spoonfuls of hummus to the chickpea puree.
- Before frying the finished balls, it is better to let the finished chickpea brew for an hour so that they are saturated with the aroma of added spices and herbs.
For cooking you will need:
- dry chickpeas - 300 g,
- parsley - 1 bunch,
- garlic - 3 slices,
- vegetable oil - 700 ml,
- Zira, ground coriander, paprika - 0.5 tsp each,
- Onion - 1 pc.,
- baking powder, salt.
So, soak chickpeas for 8 hours in a decent amount of water. Then drain the water, give the chickpea to dry, and then double-pass it through a meat grinder. The result should be a loose light yellow mass. Next in the meat grinder, scroll the parsley, onion and mix in a homogeneous mass with chickpeas.
Next, add spices, in addition to the base, specified in the recipe, you can experiment, for example, with pepper, cardamom, nutmeg and curry.
Next, add salt, squeeze garlic, pour baking powder to the balls, as a result, turned out to air. Now we form the "stuffing": all the ingredients are thoroughly mixed by hand, the mass should turn out quite tight and elastic.
Next, make small balls (about 3 cm in diameter) and proceed to frying. It is best to do this in a bowl with a thick bottom, in which it is necessary to heat the oil (as for frying), and then fry the balls. Falafel should be covered with a dense golden crust, and inside remain dry and tender. To get the finished balls you need skimmer, before serving we dry them on a napkin to let the excess fat drain. That's all!
How to cook classic falafel?
You can prepare an Israeli dish quickly and without any hassle, using the instructions from the photo. Step-by-step recipes will help you to make delicious and simple vegan (vegan) falafel in the oven.
Falafel is a dish consisting of several round balls of small size. The size of the balls is about two to three centimeters. The taste of the dish can be changed depending on the wishes, adding various spices, spices and other ingredients to the balls. And for those who love meat and cheese, there are recipes with minced meat, eggs, cheese.
A classic version with a photo will help to cook an Arabic dish of chickpeas in the oven. To the taste and aroma of falafel were as close as possible to the original, you should use step-by-step recipes with photos.
The chickpea used for the dish has a large amount of protein, a nutty flavor and an oily structure. The taste of this nut is saturated, and the proteins in its composition are easily digested.
Serve traditional falafel in two or three pieces, most often with a salad of fresh vegetables or sauce. Also a classic recipe can have several variations, for example, you can use not only chickpeas for cooking falafel, but also other legumes (beans, peas, beans).
Israeli falafel. Home Cooking Recipe
To surprise guests or loved ones with a new dish, you can use a simple recipe with a photo that will allow you to cook Israeli falafel at home.
Israeli food can slightly remind familiar to all cutlets, only chickpea puree or puree from any other legumes is used instead of minced meat. By eating legumes, you can saturate the body with valuable proteins of plant origin, so the "falafel balls" are ideal for everyday diet.
- chickpeas (200-250 grams)
- garlic (five cloves),
- 3 tbsp. cumin,
- 1 tbsp. coriander,
- 1 tsp soda,
- 1 tsp salt,
- 1 tsp curry,
- 4 st.ll.muki (wheat)
- vegetable oil.
- In cold water, chickpets are allowed to swell (minimum 4 hours).
- Onions are peeled and chopped, mixed with greens, pre-grinding it.
- Garlic is divided into cloves, peeled, minced with the help of a garlic press.
- The mixture is whipped in a combine so that it has the consistency of mashed potatoes, and put it in a bowl.
- Greens and all spices are added to the bowl with mashed potatoes, the mixture is stirred, three tablespoons of water are added and the mixture is left for thirty minutes.
- Then flour is mixed into the mixture so that the balls can be molded. After making the balls, they are cooked in a frying pan or in the oven until golden brown.
- Falafel must first be put on paper to get rid of excess oil, just before serving.
- The dish can be easily combined with pita, salad or homemade hummus.
Israeli falafel has several cooking variations. It can be prepared from chickpeas or chickpea flour, from beans or peas. There is also a way to cook falafel from bulgur.
This dish is very easy to prepare. The main ingredient for him is bulgur - cereal from wheat, treated with boiling water. You can also safely serve spicy sauce to the dish, which change its flavor and create a richer taste.
Falafel of beans or peas. Simple recipe
If you want to replace chickpeas with other legumes, you can take white beans or peas. These ingredients can be much easier to buy in a supermarket or grocery store, and in terms of their nutritional value and taste, they are as good as chickpea.
- beans or peas (one cup),
- 1 head of garlic,
- 5 tbsp. flour,
- 3 tsp. cumin,
- red and black pepper, salt.
- Soak beans or peas overnight.
- Grind soaked beans in a blender.
- Chop spices, garlic, parsley and cumin, mix all the ingredients into a homogeneous mass.
- Add flour, salt, pepper, form balls, pre-wetted hands, so that the dough for falafel does not stick.
- Fry the obtained balls in deep fat.
Falafel in pita bread. How to cook step by step with a photo?
In modern times, fast food is very popular, but a dish with a rich and long history, such as falafel, is not far behind and has a variation in pita bread cooking!
For example, in the same Israel this traditional dish is served in a pita with hummus as a main course and even in pita bread. Spicy sauce (mostly tahini) and even yogurt will help you to add a dish of juiciness!
The recipe of a dish with a photo in pita bread is easy to perform, but allows you to significantly expand the taste of the usual delicacy. Below we present a new variation of cooking falafel balls with vegetables in pita bread.
- chickpeas (glass and a half),
- 1 clove garlic,
- sunflower seeds (one cup),
- green onion feathers
- greens (parsley and cilantro),
- lemon juice,
- olive oil.
- Sunflower seeds and chickpeas to soak in water, and then grind in a combine or using a blender.
- Add to the mix other ingredients: garlic, green onion feathers and greens, one tablespoon of curry powder, mix everything in a homogeneous mass with the addition of lemon juice and olive oil and do not forget to salt.
- Form the balls.
- Laying falafel balls on a baking sheet, you need to slightly flatten them. It should be baked in the oven, heated to only forty degrees.
- The flattened balls should be dry outside, but the mixture inside should be soft.
- They need to prepare the sauce (the most commonly used is tahini sauce).
- To make a delicious sauce, you will need: sesame seeds, any vegetable oil (preferably olive oil), garlic, salt and lemon juice. Ingredients are blended to a single consistency.
- You can replace tahini (tahini) with other sauces, for example, suitable for falafel and spicy sauce “Tabasco”, garlic sauce from yoghurt, garlic and cucumber, mixed with mustard and sour cream.
- Fresh vegetables should be cut into large but thin slices.
- In a thin pita should lay out layers of falafel, vegetables, pouring all the sauce.
- Wrapping pita bread on the principle of ordinary shawarma, you can serve on the table!
Chickpea falafel with cheese
If you are not a supporter of vegetarian food and you can safely afford meat and cheese, you should try making falafel with cheese.
Rich cheese flavor and pleasant aroma of fresh herbs and spices will make the usual falafel a special dish that is suitable for everyday use or for a magnificent feast.
- chickpeas (glass and a half),
- onion and garlic,
- hot peppers,
- half a tablespoon of cumin,
- half a tablespoon of coriander in the form of a hammer,
- cilantro and parsley
- one egg,
- salt pepper,
- 150 grams of cheese (you can take cheese).
- About two hundred grams of chickpea is poured with water and left overnight or for several hours (the minimum time is four hours).
- An onion and a few cloves of garlic are peeled and finely chopped.
- Fresh parsley and cilantro are crushed.
- Chickpeas are poured into a blender or combine to grind.
- In a bowl, mix the resulting mass, chopped onion and garlic cloves, as well as all other remaining products.
- Mixing the ingredients, add the egg to the mixture.
- In the dough should be wrapped in a piece of cheese.
- It is necessary to fry balls, slightly having added them.
- Then the resulting dish should be baked in the oven until golden brown (you need to heat the oven to 190-200 degrees).
- Falafel can be decorated with greens on top or with vegetables.
- You can replace cheese with other products, such as meat, minced meat, eggs, vegetables.
Bean rolls are not an ordinary recipe, but Jamie makes everything fast and tasty, so tasty that he wants to eat everything himself! I think we will succeed!
Fresh legumes, peeled (peas or beans) 250 g
Olive oil for deep fat
Potatoes 1/2 piece for sample
Cilantro and mint - a few twigs
Cayenne pepper - to taste
1/2 chilli pepper
Lemon Peel 1 Lemon
Lemon juice 1/2 lemon
Flour 1 tsp.
Yoghurt 250 ml
Salad leaves, seasoned with salt, pepper, lemon juice and olive oil
Pickled chili peppers
Jamie Oliver Master Class: Falafel-like bean pulses
Jamie is going to make a very tasty dish of legumes like pancakes or, rather, it will be like falafel ...
Falaafel (folafel) (Arabic. فلافل, Hebrew. פָלָאפֶל) is an Arabic dish that consists of deep-fried balls of crushed chickpea (or beans), sometimes with the addition of beans, seasoned with spices.
The dish comes from Egypt, is common in almost all cuisines of the Middle East, as well as in some regions of the Middle East and North Africa. In Israel, falafel is so popular that it is considered a national dish and to some extent a symbol of the country.
In Western countries, falafel is widespread in Arabic cafes and eateries, as well as among vegetarians and vegans.
In a blender, grind a few sprigs of cilantro and mint.
Add beans, 1 tsp. cayenne pepper and cumin.
Season with salt and pepper.
Add grated lemon zest.
“Lemon peel is a cool thing, it gives off a pleasant aroma, it goes well with horse beans.”
All grind into a homogeneous mass.
Add a teaspoon of flour - it is not necessary much, so that the meatballs are not viscous.
The shitties should be juicy inside and have a crisp outside.
With the help of 2 tablespoons molded chops.
Frying oil to heat up - his readiness Jamie checks like this:
- lowers half the potatoes in butter,
- when it is fried until golden crisp - the oil is ready!
- You can "deep fat".
Note that the mass should be quite thick.
You can put bits in boiling fat. One by one - but do it quickly!
The sauce is prepared from salt, pepper, lemon juice and yogurt with the addition of fresh chopped mint.
"Mint is great for yogurt."
Take out bits and lay out on several layers of napkins.
“Lord! Just look how lovely! ”
A little salt and ...
"Open 2 bottles of beer."
“God, what a scent! And most importantly, how quickly we cooked everything! ”
Serve on lettuce leaves with sauce and chili.
"Inside the dish turned out soft, tender, and outside it is covered with a crisp crust!"
"Yes! Schass all eat up! ”
Jamie Oliver's Video Recipe of Beanlike Falafel Bean
Sharp bits by Jamie Oliver - a great snack, although it may be the main dish for vegetarians.