Human food not only nourishes the body with nutrients, but also affects all parts of the digestive system, which begins in the mouth. Diseases of the teeth and gums, the appearance of an unpleasant odor, the development of enamel sensitivity or darkening of it - all this is closely connected with the peculiarities of nutrition. There are foods that lead to a strong reproduction of the bacterial flora in the mouth. And most often this category includes food, beloved by the majority. But there are also useful products for the teeth, strengthening the enamel and preventing the appearance of plaque.
The connection of diseases of the teeth and gums with food
All products that people consume, feed not only the body, but also the bacteria that live in the mouth. If there is a large amount of carbohydrates in food, especially sugar, a favorable environment is created for microorganisms. In the process of life they convert sugar into acid, which washes minerals from tooth enamel. As a result, the enamel sensitivity develops. Then cracks appear on it, through which bacteria penetrate. Caries, pulpitis and periodontitis develops. Products also affect gum health. For example, acids contained in some drinks or fruits, corrode tissue, leading to the appearance of gingivitis, stomatitis, sores.
But there are products that are useful for teeth. They help remove plaque, massage and strengthen gums, improve blood circulation and metabolic processes, destroy bacteria and promote enamel mineralization. To maintain good oral health, you must include them daily in your diet.
What are harmful carbohydrates
Carbohydrates are necessary for the human body to produce energy. They begin to split in the mouth. And the bacteria that live there, feed on glucose. Such products are especially harmful to the teeth, which contain refined sugar. These are confectionery, sweets. It is these sweets, so loved by many, destroy teeth.
In addition, carbohydrate products for teeth are harmful because they are soft. To tooth enamel receive all the necessary nutrients, it is necessary that they are subjected to regular load. It improves blood supply to the gums. And the food consisting of carbohydrates (pastries, bread, pastries, pasta) is too soft.
What destroys tooth enamel
The teeth are protected from external influences with the help of a thin film - tooth enamel. It has a porous structure, therefore mineral substances can strengthen it, strengthening the teeth. But if the food contains harmful ingredients, the enamel is destroyed. There are other factors that negatively affect her.
- Habit all the time something to chew or drink does not allow enamel to recover. After all, this process occurs in the intervals between meals. And the constant presence of food in the mouth leads to the proliferation of bacteria and caries.
- Acids contained in carbonated drinks or some fruit juices have a negative effect on tooth enamel. At the same time, the so-called non-severe destruction develops.
- Harmful to the teeth is very hot and very cold food. Especially if they alternate in one meal. Due to the sharp temperature drop on the enamel cracks are formed.
What products are harmful to the teeth
It is believed that 90% of oral health depends on the food that a person consumes. Any food not only supplies the body with necessary and unnecessary substances, but also affects the gums, tooth enamel. Therefore, it is better to consume less products that are harmful to the teeth:
- Coffee and other caffeinated beverages interfere with the absorption of calcium, promote dehydration. In addition, with excessive use of coffee, tooth enamel becomes yellowish.
- Strange as it may seem, ordinary black tea can be harmful for teeth. Often in its leaves there is a high concentration of fluoride.
- Carbonated drinks contain a lot of sugar, acids, dyes and other harmful substances that destroy teeth.
- White bread, pasta, muffins, chips and other products containing starch, lead to the accumulation of plaque and the proliferation of bacteria.
- Alcoholic beverages reduce the secretion of saliva and lead to a shortage of essential nutrients.
What is good for teeth
For the normal formation of teeth in childhood, and then to maintain them in a healthy state, vitamins and minerals are necessary:
- Calcium is found in cottage cheese, saltwater fish, sesame, raisins, soybeans, walnuts,
- fluorine can be obtained from boiled potatoes, buckwheat, whole-wheat flour, greens,
- The source of vitamin B12, necessary for healthy gums, is meat,
- Vitamin C prevents bleeding gums and tooth loss, it is a lot in lemons, apples, currants, sauerkraut.
In addition, the teeth need to load. Only regular consumption of coarse-fiber food contributes to the acceleration of blood circulation and metabolic processes. Chewing fresh vegetables, such as carrots, helps to clean the surface of the teeth from plaque.
It has long been believed that the best source of calcium is milk. But now the opinion has appeared that it is not so useful, especially if it is manufactured industrially. And modern sweet dairy products for tooth enamel are only harmful. Sugar prevents the absorption of calcium, so cocktails, fruit yogurt and ice cream is better to use less.
Cheese is good for teeth. It contains a lot of casein and phosphates. It is believed that chewing cheese helps restore tooth enamel and prevent the development of caries. A large amount of calcium is contained in cottage cheese. In addition, there is phosphorus, enhancing its action.
Vegetables and fruits
Plant foods are the most beneficial products for teeth and gums. Vegetables and fruits contain many vitamins and minerals necessary for oral health. In addition to enriching the enamel with calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, fluorine and other trace elements, vegetables and fruits have a massaging effect. They help to improve blood circulation in the gums and clean the teeth of soft plaque. In addition, chewing hard vegetables and fruits stimulates saliva secretion. But it is precisely from its lack that many diseases of the oral cavity develop. All fruits and vegetables are good for teeth, especially when fresh:
- Greens are rich in plenty of vitamins and minerals. It can strengthen blood vessels and bleach enamel. For example, dill refreshes breath and kills bacteria.
- Berries contain pectins, organic acids and other trace elements. Some of them can prevent the development of caries, such as cranberries and grapes.
- By citrus doctors at ambiguous attitude. It is believed that grapefruit reduces bleeding gums and reduces inflammation, and lime prevents caries. They are able to destroy bacteria and strengthen gums. At the same time, all citrus fruits contain a large amount of organic acids that can destroy enamel.
It is also very useful products for teeth. All seafood contains a lot of calcium, phosphorus, selenium, vitamins D and B1. Namely, these microelements are a source of building and strengthening of bone tissue. Therefore, the use of such food helps to prevent tooth disease. Such products are especially useful:
- shrimps are a source of easily digestible calcium, phosphorus, potassium, fluorine, therefore they prevent the destruction of enamel,
- any fish is rich in selenium, calcium, iodine and fluorine, which protect teeth from caries,
- sea kale contains a lot of iodine and beneficial amino acids.
What to drink to keep your teeth healthy
A sufficient amount of fluid is necessary for the normal course of all processes in the body. Reflects its shortage on oral health. First of all, because of this, very little saliva is produced. The oral cavity dries out, bacteria are actively beginning to multiply. Saliva is a very important means of strengthening enamel and protecting against caries.
It is best to drink plain clean water. That it contributes to the formation of saliva with a composition that protects the enamel from destruction and nourishes it with minerals.
In addition to water for teeth it is useful to drink herbal teas. If they are consumed without sugar, then in addition to stimulating the formation of saliva and cleansing the oral cavity, they have a healing effect depending on which herbs are brewed from. They relieve inflammation, swelling and pain, strengthen enamel, improve blood circulation, destroy bacteria. The most useful are teas from chamomile, peppermint, St. John's wort, oregano, sage, calendula.
The best products for dental health
If you eat varied, refusing junk food, the oral cavity can be kept healthy. But still it is recommended to ensure that products that are useful for teeth are included daily in the diet:
- Raw vegetables - carrots, beets, pumpkins, cabbage, radishes and others not only provide the tissues of the teeth and gums with essential nutrients. When chewing these products, massage of the gums and cleaning of the plaque from the surface of the teeth is provided.
- Chicken eggs contain almost all micronutrients necessary for health. They are especially rich in vitamin D. It helps them to protect teeth from destruction and strengthen gums.
- Honey is rich in vitamins and minerals. It has antibacterial properties, so that it can treat incipient oral diseases.
- Good foods to strengthen teeth are nuts. In addition to vitamins and minerals, they contain many essential amino acids. Cashew strengthens tooth enamel and destroys bacteria, pine nuts accelerates cell regeneration and normalizes the state of nerve fibers.
The best products for teeth whitening
Over time, tooth enamel may darken. Especially often this happens with coffee and black tea lovers, with smokers and with alcohol abuse. To lighten the enamel is difficult, many tools are aggressive and even more destroy it. But there are products for whiteness of teeth. If you use them regularly, there will be a safe enamel brightening. Of course, the same effect as dental procedures is difficult to achieve in this way, but you can get rid of darkening and yellowing. To do this, use the best products for teeth whitening:
- nuts clean enamel from plaque and stains
- apples have the property not only to mechanically clean the teeth, but also to lighten them by 1-2 tones with regular use,
- strawberries contain acids that destroy the dark coating on enamel,
- carrots contribute to increased blood circulation and increased salivation,
- celery helps destroy bacteria and effectively cope with a dark patina,
- Broccoli is able to return teeth to their natural whiteness.
Bilberries, blackberries, currants, cherries, etc.
Yes, we know that they are rich in antioxidants and are incredibly useful, but in addition to the benefits of these berries also have a high content of coloring pigments that can give the teeth a variety of shades. There is one simple, albeit strange rule, if you know that it will be difficult to remove the stain from the clothes from this product, then remember that it will leave a bright indelible mark on the teeth.
Red wine harms not so much health as beauty of teeth. It gives the enamel a gray tint, which will not be easy to get rid of. But white wine on the contrary, will not leave marks on the surface of the teeth, but it will greatly damage the enamel. Because of what the teeth will become sensitive, brittle and become unhealthy grayish shade - dark dentin will appear through the thinned enamel.
For many, dried fruits have long been a useful alternative to various sweets. They do contain many vitamins and minerals, but they have a very negative effect on the health of the teeth.
The fact is that dried fruits contain sugar, and the chewing texture of dried apricots, prunes and other dried fruits literally sticks this sugar to their teeth, causing the destruction of enamel and the formation of caries. In order to avoid this, try to brush your teeth after eating these products.
Another category of foods associated with proper nutrition is citrus fruits and juice. A high content of vitamin C supports the health of the body, but the acids that citrus are rich in destroy tooth enamel.
After you have eaten an orange or a grapefruit, in no case brush your teeth, otherwise you risk cleaning off all the enamel. It is best to rinse your mouth with water and eat nothing for 20–30 minutes. Thus, the acid will have time to neutralize, without causing harm to the teeth.
And one more nuance. If you drink citrus juice, it is best to use a straw. This also applies to many loved water with lemon, which also contains a lot of acids.
When it comes to teeth that harm teeth, coffee and red wine are first on the list. They do cause a change in the color of enamel, but they do not harm it as much as white wine, for example.
It contains various acids that contribute to the destruction of tooth enamel. In addition, any alcoholic beverages cause dehydration of the oral cavity, and the less saliva is released, the more food pieces remain on the teeth and between them.
In order to maximize your teeth, we advise you to drink a glass of water after each glass of wine. This will help flush out the acid and avoid thickening of saliva, maintaining healthy teeth and oral cavity.
This category of drinks is better to completely eliminate from the diet, because there is no benefit from sweet soda. And do not believe that drinks marked with light are less harmful. They have the same negative effect on dental health as the classic versions of the same drinks.
All types of tomato sauces cause serious damage to the health of the teeth. Their acidic pH destroys tooth enamel, and a rich red pigment quickly penetrates it, causing the teeth to darken. Try to eat tomato sauces very metered, combining them with neutral foods, such as fish, meat or vegetables.
On a hot day, it's nice to pamper yourself with a cool drink, chewing on small pieces of ice that fall into your mouth. But, firstly, too cold ice can cause excessive tooth sensitivity. And secondly, the solid structure of ice will easily lead to chipping of teeth and cracks in the enamel. We advise you to refrain from such experiments and not to chew ice from cocktails.
Nuts and seeds
With nuts and seeds, we recommend to be especially careful for those who already have problems with their teeth. Because of their dense structure, these products can cause chipping of teeth and damage to existing fillings and crowns. If you are currently wearing braces, then nuts and seeds must be completely eliminated.
Chips and crackers
Crackers and chips are popular snacks made from fast carbohydrates, which, under the influence of saliva, are converted into glucose, which is harmful to the teeth. Add to this a viscous texture and a kind of "flour" bloom, which remains on the surface of the teeth after you eat these products.
In order to minimize the harm from various commercial snacks, always try to brush your teeth or rinse your mouth after eating them. This will help remove plaque and preserve oral health.
Popcorn acts on our teeth in about the same way as chips with crackers. However, it also carries another danger. The fact is that those corn grains that have not burst in the process of making popcorn can damage teeth, as well as existing fillings and crowns, so be careful.
Some useful recommendations that will allow you not to give up your favorite products and preserve the health and attractive natural color of your teeth:
- Excluded from the diet of these products is not worth it, but to reduce their consumption is desirable.
- To minimize the negative effects of certain food substances on the teeth, after eating you should brush your teeth, especially if you have used potentially harmful products. But too frequent cleanings can thin the enamel, so this procedure is sometimes worth replacing with a rinse, using special rinses.
- If you really like citrus juices or berries, then be happy to drink them. But use a straw. Such a simple device will direct the liquid almost immediately to the root of the tongue and to the pharynx, but practically nothing will get on the teeth.
- Sour foods and drinks should not be delayed in the mouth, otherwise their negative impact will increase.
- Be sure to brush your teeth daily before bedtime to remove all potentially harmful substances from the enamel surface.
- If you really like to eat something forbidden, then combine it with more useful products. Например, вино желательно пить с сыром, так как, во-первых, он впитает в себя часть вредных веществ, во-вторых, содержит полезный для зубов кальций. Ещё обеспечивают нейтрализацию кислот и прочих агрессивных веществ, а также прекрасно очищают зубы хлеб, овощи, мясо, картофель.
- Старайтесь не есть на ночь, это вредно не только для вашей фигуры, но и для зубов. And this is due to the fact that saliva, which splits some food components in the oral cavity and thereby protects the teeth, is produced in smaller quantities in the afternoon. And because of the slowing down of salivation, the teeth become more vulnerable.
- If you really love chocolate, choose bitter, that is, black and certainly natural. It contains theobromine, which not only does not destroy the enamel, but even allows you to strengthen it. But you can't say for sure about milk chocolate, it is harmful.
- Try not to eat too often. The interval between meals should be at least three hours. It is during such a period of time that the acid-base balance of the oral cavity will be restored, which will protect the tooth enamel from negative impact.
Now you know what products to avoid, to keep your teeth beautiful and healthy.
Many people know that fatty fish is famous for its omega-3 fatty acids. Many studies have shown that these acids help strengthen bones and teeth, which makes this product even more valuable.
According to statistics, residents of countries where there are a lot of fish in the diet of people suffer from dental diseases 20% less than residents of other countries.
Cheese contains a lot of fluoride and calcium. Combined with saliva, fluoride and calcium neutralize the negative effects of many bacteria. Therefore, include a couple of slices of cheese in your diet.
Almond has a slightly different effect on teeth. The constant use of almonds helps protect the oral cavity from ulcers. Plus, almonds are rich in vitamins and minerals that improve the overall condition.
15 g of dark chocolate a day can keep your teeth in good condition. These results came Japanese scientists. Dark chocolate with a cocoa content above 70% is often equated with fluorinated toothpastes.
Fresh greens contain many antioxidants that will destroy harmful bacteria and promote healthy gums. In addition, the green helps to replenish the balance of vitamins in the body, which is beneficial to your health.
Red wine will not so much affect the health of teeth as will give an unsightly gray tint.
Everything is simple here: chips made of fast carbohydrates are converted into glucose under the influence of saliva, and it threatens teeth banal, but dangerous tooth decay. And even after the chips, there remains a special “flour” bloom, and if you do not want a dental plaque to appear after him, then having a snack, rinse your mouth with water.
It would seem, if sugar-free gum, what harm can it do to the teeth? But the main danger of chewing gum is not in its sweetness, and in the destructive mechanical effect on fillings, crowns and bridges. In addition, during chewing salivation increases, and this is fraught with the formation of alkali, which, in turn, eats away all the same fillings and the enamel itself.
In the movie and without popcorn? It is worth thinking about this, because in each package come across neopno corn grains, can damage crowns and weak teeth. In addition, a sweet treat consists of fast carbohydrates, which, once in the mouth, form destructive glucose for the teeth.
Like citrus, tomatoes have high acidity, and it concerns not only fresh fruits, but also various sauces, soups and stews. Acid extremely negatively affects the enamel and significantly increases the sensitivity of teeth. You should be careful not to cook too often the dishes, which are dominated by tomatoes.
Bread, pasta and potatoes
Products that contain a large amount of starch, when chewing, stick to the teeth and remain in the mouth for a long time. Sticking pieces provoke the formation of a nutrient medium for plaque. In addition, interacting with saliva, starchy substances are converted into sugar, an excess of which leads to caries, and not only.
Bonus: find out about problems with which organs toothache reports
Some doctors say that It is possible to trace the connection between a diseased tooth and the deterioration of the work of individual organs. For example, if fangs ache, then it is worth checking for cholecystitis, and together with the incisor the heart and stomach can hurt. Proving such a relationship is difficult, but if you want to remember which tooth is responsible for which organ, just look at our scheme.