These seeds have come a long way to our table. But today they are known as a superfood for a healthy diet, and there is a reason for that. Only two tablespoons contain almost 10 grams of fiber. Beaten in a blender, they become the perfect topping for yogurt or vegetables. If soaked in liquid, such as almond milk or juice, chia seeds become soft. In addition, it is a good addition to pudding.
In fact, wild rice has nothing to do with our usual product, since grass seeds are called this way. They contain much more protein than other whole grains, and 30 times more antioxidants than the usual white rice. Also wild rice can provide your body with folate, magnesium, phosphorus, zinc, vitamin B6 and niacin. Heated grains are the perfect complement to green salads, but pilaf can also be made from them.
If you have ever tried toasted pumpkin seeds, then you know that they are an excellent snacking product. They are rich in magnesium - an important mineral that positively affects the health of your heart, helps the body to store energy and strengthens muscles. You can eat them all year round as an addition to soups or salads.
Their mild nutty flavor goes well with salty dishes. They also contain large amounts of protein. Two tablespoons have 10 grams, which is even more than in flax or chia seeds. Hemp seeds are also a good source of omega-3 fatty acids. You can use the seeds by adding them to salads or whole-grain dishes, or you can make hemp milk from them to replace regular dairy products with them.
Way to use
The only way to get the most out of seeds is to eat them raw. Heat treatment leads to the formation of toxins, while vitamins, minerals and essential oils denature. Roasted seeds are no longer a living meal. No seeds in the world can withstand heat and frying, retaining their nutritional properties. It is always necessary to remember that you need to eat seeds in their natural state - cheese. They can be soaked, ground and crushed, especially if the seed coat is too hard for the teeth.
You should choose raw and unsalted seeds.
It is necessary to avoid fried and glazed seeds.
No need to eat them candied.
The recommended single serving is half a glass.
Pomegranate seeds are rich in antioxidants. These substances protect the body's cells from free radicals and prevent premature aging. In other words, pomegranate juice "pumps" blood with oxygen. Antioxidants not only fight free radicals, but also prevent blood clots. It improves blood flow and enriches blood with oxygen.
Pomegranate grains are particularly rich in polyphenols. It is a type of antioxidant that reduces the risk of cancer and heart disease. Pomegranate juice because of the beneficial tannins, anthocyanins and ellagic acid contained in it has a much stronger antioxidant effect than green tea and red wine. Bones of pomegranate grains, covered with a juicy shell, are edible. Grains are rich in vitamin C and potassium, they are low in calories (only 80 kcal per procution, which is a third lower than most fruits) and rich in fiber.
The antioxidant properties of pomegranate seeds help prevent the oxidation of low-density lipoproteins. This prevents constriction of the vascular walls with fatty deposits and maintains blood saturation with antioxidants.
Research doctor Claudio Napoli from the Neapolitan Medical Institute says: "In mice that were fed with pomegranate juice, atherosclerosis progressed at least 30 percent slower."
Pomegranate is also useful for the skeletal system - it reduces the manifestations of arthritis in the affected cartilage tissues. This fruit reduces the intensity of inflammation and prevents the destruction of cartilage enzymes.
Recommended single serving: 1-2 tablespoons (in a crushed form).
Dietary fiber flax reduces blood lipids and regulates appetite. According to scientists from the University of Copenhagen, flax seeds reduce hunger and help combat excess weight.
Lyon has been cultivated for centuries, and its benefits are generally known. Hippocrates described the use of flax to relieve abdominal pain, and the French Emperor Charles I the Great loved so much flaxseed that he issued a special decree on their universal use.
The beneficial properties of flaxseeds consist of their saturation with linolenic acid, a high content of dietary fiber and an abundance of lignans (vegetable phenolic compounds - antioxidants,).
Essential linolenic acid is a powerful anti-inflammatory agent. It reduces the production of inflammatory agents and reduces the blood levels of C-reactive protein, an indicator of inflammation. The combined action of linolenic acid and lignans inhibits the growth of tumors in animals and may reduce the risk of developing cancer in humans.
Lignans are phytoestrogens and have properties similar to estrogen (female sex hormone, ca.). They have antioxidant properties. Phytoestrogens help stabilize hormone levels, alleviate the symptoms of premenstrual syndrome and menopause, and can help prevent the development of breast and prostate cancer.
Dietary fiber flax supports the normal function of the intestine. One tablespoon of whole flaxseeds contains as much fiber as half a cup of oat bran. Soluble fiber fibers reduce cholesterol in the blood and reduce the risk of developing heart attacks and strokes.
Ground flaxseed is healthier than whole. Seeds can be ground in a coffee grinder or blender and added to cereals, pastries and fruit smoothies.
Recommended single serving: half a cup
These are the only seeds that form alkaline blood counts. This is important, given that most modern diets form an acidic environment.
Pumpkin seeds are rich in proteins. A hundred of these seeds provide 54 percent of the daily value of proteins.
Many people take vitamins to compensate for the deficiency of the B vitamins. Pumpkin seeds in this can successfully replace synthetic drugs. These seeds contain all the B vitamins - thiamine (B1), riboflavin (B2), niacin (nicotinic acid), pantothenic acid, pyridoxine (B6) and salts of folic acid.
People in a bad mood pumpkin seeds will help to cope with depression. Ingredient L-tryptophan helps to elevate mood.
Regular consumption of pumpkin seeds can prevent the formation of kidney stones. Judging by the results of research, pumpkin seeds prevent the formation of kidney stones from calcium oxolate.
Another advantage of these seeds is that they excrete parasites from the body, especially tapeworms.
Recommended single portion: a quarter cup.
Apricot kernels are no less nutritious than various nuts and seeds. Among other components, the core contains amygdalin, its other name is vitamin B17. This substance attacks cancer cells and can prevent the spread of a tumor. Amygdalin can be found in hundreds of different products, but they are not present in the diet with a predominance of convenience foods and fast food. People with more balanced and traditional (national cuisine) nutrition are less at risk of developing cancer, including due to foods high in vitamin B17 (amygdalin).
In addition to apricot kernels, amygdalin is found in bitter almonds. It is amygdalin that gives it a bitter taste. Therefore, if the apricot kernel does not have a bitter taste, then vitamin B17 it is not. Amygdalin is found in apple and grape seed, in millet, garden beans, in various berries, cassava and many other seeds, grains, cereals and legumes. The exception is hybrid varieties.
Speaking about the prevention of diseases, you should pay attention to the words of the doctor Ernst Krebs-junior, the inventor of the drug "Laetril" (concentrated amygdalin). According to him, a person who uses from ten to twelve apricot kernels every day will almost certainly not get cancer, even if irradiated, close to the background in the area of the Chernobyl nuclear power plant.
Recommended single portion: a quarter cup.
Sesame seeds - one of the oldest known to mankind seasonings. They are valued for their oil content, which is very well stored.
Sesame is valuable as a good source of manganese and copper. It is rich in calcium, magnesium, iron and phosphorus. In sesame seeds a lot of vitamin B1, zinc and dietary fiber. In addition to the above, sesame contains two unique substances, sesamin and sesamolin. Both belong to the lignans. These substances lower blood cholesterol in humans. In animals, they prevent an increase in blood pressure and increase the saturation of tissues with vitamin E. Sesamin protects damage to liver cells with antioxidants.
Recommended single portion: a quarter cup.
These seeds are an excellent source of natural fat-soluble antioxidant - vitamin E. Vitamin E neutralizes free radicals. This prevents damage to fatty molecular structures - cell membranes, brain cells and cholesterol.
Sunflower seeds are very rich in phytosterol. This substance is close to cholesterol in structure. When used in moderation, phytosterol lowers blood cholesterol levels. This enhances the immune response mechanism and reduces the risk of developing some forms of cancer.
In the seeds of sunflower a lot of magnesium. There are data from studies according to which magnesium relieves the symptoms of bronchial asthma, reduces blood pressure, prevents migraine pain and the development of heart attacks and strokes.
Recommended single serving: one tablespoon.
Cumin is used since ancient times. Its healing properties have been used for hundreds of years.
Cumin is useful in digestive disorders. It has antiseptic properties. Cumin seeds are rich in iron, they improve liver function.
Cumin helps relieve cold symptoms. If you have a sore throat, it is recommended to drink caraway water with the addition of dry ginger, this will calm the tickling.
Caraway juice tones up a lot. There is evidence that it slightly increases the temperature of the body, boosting the metabolism.
Cumin has a positive effect on hepatic and renal functions, stimulates the immune system.
Recommended single serving: one or two tablespoons.
Grape seeds are rich in vitamin E, flavonoids, linolenic acid and polyphenols.
Grape seed extract can prevent the occurrence of cardiovascular problems: an increase in blood pressure and an increase in cholesterol concentration in the blood. Phenols limit the oxidation of fats, thereby preventing the appearance of blood clots and reducing the intensity of inflammatory processes.
In the journal Carcinogenesis published data on the ability of grape seed extract to destroy cells of squamous carcinoma (a type of tumor tissue, approx.). The healthy cells of the body remain intact.
In experiments on norovirus surrogates, grape seed extract reduced its invasive ability.
The seed of schiritsa (amaranth) has not only high nutritional value, but also healing properties.
The composition of amaranth seeds:
⚙ about 16% protein, balanced by the content of essential amino acids,
⚙ about 6% fat, including unsaturated fatty acids,
⚙ about 60% of carbohydrates - starch increased swelling,
⚙ vitamins of group B, vitamins E, D, rutin,
⚙ micro and macronutrients - magnesium, calcium, phosphorus and others,
⚙ dietary fiber and pectin,
⚙ small amount of gluten.
Due to the unique amino acid composition, the presence of polyunsaturated fatty acids, vitamin E and squalene, amaranth seed is useful:
⚙ to normalize metabolism
⚙ to eliminate hormonal imbalance,
⚙ for the prevention of diseases of the kidneys and digestive organs,
⚙ to recover from serious illnesses,
⚙ to cleanse the body of toxins, salts of heavy metals, radionuclides.
It is especially useful to eat sprouts of schiritsa, many times superior to ordinary seeds with antioxidant properties.
List of useful seeds
So, what are the seeds most beneficial to the body? The top includes:
- Pumpkin seeds available and sold in many stores, so you can benefit from them, especially since the daily rate is only half a glass. The product contains vegetable proteins, L-tryptophan, a large set of vitamins of group B. Eating this dose, you can normalize metabolic processes, improve blood composition due to alkaline effects, provide muscles with energy, and the body - protein for the formation of healthy cells. Also, pumpkin seeds can improve mood and sleep and significantly reduce the risk of the formation of stones in the kidneys and other organs. And it is also an effective folk remedy against parasites, on the basis of which many herbal pharmaceutical preparations are created.
- These champions can safely be called chia seedswhich, unfortunately, for most people are still exotic. They contain twice the amount of easily digestible vegetable protein than beans, and as much as six times more bone-strengthening calcium than milk! And this is not the whole “track record”. Chia contains antioxidants that stop aging and ensure cancer prevention, iron, omega-3 fatty acids (even more than red fish), ascorbic acid to help relax and not over exerting over trifles magnesium, as well as improving digestion and debris fiber. On the day it is recommended to eat a small spoonful of the product.
- Very helpful and sesame, which is known to mankind since ancient times. And this suggests that then people knew a lot about healthy food, because sesame seed contains phosphorus, copper, calcium, manganese, magnesium, iron, fiber, lignans, vitamins E and group B. This valuable set of nutrients helps reduce the level of " bad "cholesterol in the blood, nourishes the tissues and helps retain moisture in them, stabilizes blood pressure, strengthens bone structures and vascular walls, protects liver cells from destruction and damage, and has antioxidant effects that modern people need . Sesame can be eaten per day up to a quarter cup.
- Hemp seeds. Yes, yes, such a plant is very useful if you use its seeds. They just have a huge amount of amino acids (about two dozen, among which there are essential), used as a building material for the formation of cell proteins, omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids and much more. Hemp seed helps to strengthen the immune system and cleanse the body of slag and toxic substances, improve the blood composition and functioning of the cardiovascular system, as well as the nourishment of muscle tissue. And all this is available if you use only a tablespoon of grains.
- Flax seeds have long been studied by scientists and managed to become popular among supporters of a healthy diet. Their important feature is the high content of dietary fiber, which swell in the stomach and suppress appetite, interfere with the absorption of fat and clean the gastrointestinal tract from toxins. And that is why flaxseed can and is very useful to include in the diet of all slimming. The composition also found lignans, which help to normalize the female hormones and neutralize the activity of free radicals. Alpha-linolenic acid has anti-inflammatory properties. Also, the product can provide prevention of heart attack, atherosclerosis and stroke. The norm is one or two large spoons.
- Pomegranate seeds love and eat with pleasure many, and rightly so. They contain ascorbic acid, vitamin K, polyphenols, organic acids, iron, tannins, as well as natural antioxidants. Pomegranate seeds improve blood composition and reduce the risk of thrombosis, supply all cells and tissues with oxygen, stop oxidative reactions, slow down the process of premature aging, provide protection against atherosclerosis and serious cardiovascular diseases, as well as prevent the destruction of cartilage during arthritis. And since the caloric content is slightly more than 80 kcal, the product can be considered dietary. On the day you can and should eat half of a large fruit or glass, and hard grains are also edible and useful.
- Cumin seeds - it is not only spicy aromatic seasoning, but also a useful food supplement that has antiseptic effect, oxygenates blood, strengthens the body’s natural protective barrier, protects the liver from adverse effects, eliminates dyspeptic disorders and improves digestion, speeds up recovery from a cold and has tonic and tonic properties. Per day you can eat a tablespoon of cumin.
- Sunflower seedswho so much gnaw many, are also included in the list. They contain a lot of vitamin E, phytosterol and magnesium. The product is useful for the heart and blood vessels, immunity, nervous system, skin and muscles. Seeds reduce pressure and relieve pain, nourish the brain and skin, protect the cells of the human body from the destructive effects of free radicals. And although it is difficult to stop, you should limit yourself to a quarter or third cup a day.
- Apricot pits. It is not easy to get to them, and such a product may seem strange, but in nutritional value it is not inferior to nuts. If you eat a quarter of a glass a day, you can protect yourself from cancer and keep young.
- Grape seeds. They are taken to spit when eating juicy grapes, but to get a portion of useful substances, you need not only to swallow the seeds, but also to chew them thoroughly. It is enough to use only one or two tablespoons per day in this way to reduce the risk of blood clots, prevent the development of cardiovascular diseases, and also protect yourself from cancer and viruses.
How to eat seeds?
In order to get maximum benefit from the seeds, they are best fresh, because during heat treatment some substances are destroyed. Add them to salads, cocktails and smoothies, desserts. If you want to add a hot dish, then put the seeds at the very end. Naturally, the product must be fresh, and for this it must be properly stored.
Tip: hard-shelled seeds can be chopped or soaked. But after such treatment, they should be eaten as soon as possible, since the properties after a violation of the integrity of the skins are quickly lost.
Eat the seeds properly and strengthen your health!