Many people complain of such an unpleasant phenomenon as the feeling of dryness at night. Such a phenomenon is often a symptom of a serious illness. The causes of dry mouth can be completely different at night. To diagnose the underlying disease is worth a visit to the doctor.
In addition, no matter what factors provoke such a state, it is better to prevent it. Otherwise, the probability of developing serious pathologies is high. So what causes dry mouth in a dream?
What is this phenomenon
Before determining the causes of dryness in the mouth at night and in the morning, it is worth considering in more detail the condition itself. A similar phenomenon in medical practice is called xerostomia. A feeling of dry mouth can be a sign of a temporary indisposition or a serious disturbance. At the same time xerostomia can be either temporary or permanent. Much depends on what her nominal provoked, what factors influenced the general condition of the body.
The feeling of dry mouth at night is often accompanied by drying out of the lips, changes in taste buds, strong thirst, tongue sticking to the sky, a feeling of discomfort, and sore throat.
To determine the causes of dry mouth at night in some cases, only a doctor can. Sometimes a similar phenomenon indicates dehydration. The lack of fluid is due to hyperthermia of the whole body, as well as high temperature indicators of air.
Often, dehydration occurs when burns, severe blood loss, diarrhea, vomiting. Also, dryness in the oral cavity at night is often due to the fact that a person consumes an insufficient amount of water during the day.
Breathing problems and medication
Causes of dry mouth at night can be hidden in the violation of respiratory processes. This phenomenon often occurs when the nasal passages are blocked. This occurs with curvature of the septum, adenoids, rhinitis. In such situations, a person usually breathes by mouth. And this, in turn, provokes drying up of the mucous membranes of the oral cavity.
Also, the reasons for the development of discomfort should include medication. Most often, the feeling of dryness occurs with frequent use of drugs designed to combat the manifestations of allergies, with neurasthenia, as well as with hypertension.
Improper nutrition and snoring
Why does thirst arise at night? Dry mouth, the causes of which can be accurately determined only by a doctor after a thorough diagnosis, can be caused by eating salty and sweet foods. Such a product is able to draw out fluid from cells. It is for this reason that there is thirst, which is often accompanied by drying out of the mucous membranes of the mouth.
In addition, those who snore in their sleep may suffer from dry mouth. In this case, the inhalation and exhalation of air through the nose is carried out only partially. As a result, the mucous membranes begin to dry out, and there is a feeling of discomfort.
Humidity and Stress
The above causes of dry mouth at night are major. But there are also indirect ones. For example, stressful situations adversely affect the work of many systems of the human body. In such cases, there is often increased sweating and dryness in the mouth.
As for the humidity of the air, then this indicator, few people follow. But during the period of summer drought, as well as at the beginning of the heating season, many people feel unpleasant dryness not only in the mouth, but also in the nose. It should be noted that the humidity should be at least 40%.
Severe Dry Mouth: Causes
What kind of illness (does a person feel such discomfort at night, does it not matter in the morning) are symptoms such as thirst and dryness of the oral mucosa? This happens because of intoxication. This symptom may not disappear throughout the day. An unpleasant phenomenon occurs as a result of the ingress of a poisonous substance into the body. To remove it you need a large amount of fluid.
Very often, such discomfort occurs as a result of alcohol abuse. After all, many people forget that ethyl alcohol for the human body is the strongest poison. Due to the formation of acetaldehyde, cell death is observed. In order for the body to get rid of them, a large amount of pure water is required.
Why does dry mouth feel strong at night? The causes of this condition may be associated with the malfunction of certain organs. Often, thirst occurs due to a lack of vitamin A. In this case, the patient may experience keratinization of the oral mucosa. Particles of tissue that have exfoliated can clog the duct of the salivary gland.
Another reason is brain injury. Due to the defeat of the nervous system, a violation of the processes of salivation can occur.
Dryness in the mouth can cause toxemia, which is accompanied by vomiting and nausea.
It is worth noting that the above factors cause only temporary xerostomia.
Permanent dry mouth at night: causes
The following factors may cause permanent xerostomia:
- advanced age
- dysfunction of the salivary glands caused by surgery
- radiation therapy used to treat cancer,
- atrophy of salivary glands (due to the frequent use of special disinfectants).
If dry mouth worries very often, then you should visit a doctor and undergo a thorough examination. After all, the cause can be a serious illness.
Dry mouth and diseases
Often, xerostomia is a sign of any disturbance in the body. What diseases cause dry mouth at night? The causes and elimination of this pathology are determined only after the diagnosis of the main disease. Possible diseases include:
- rheumatoid arthritis
- diabetes mellitus,
- stones in the salivary ducts,
- cystic fibrosis
- Sjogren's syndrome
- Alzheimer's disease,
- brain damage
- Parkinson's disease.
To identify the development of such ailments can only be a thorough examination and having passed all the necessary tests.
Dry mouth and other signs
How to find out why dry mouth occurs at night? Causes, treatment and consequences depend on the underlying disease. When diagnosing a disease, the doctor must identify all the symptoms. If a person's tongue is covered with yellow or white bloom, and the patient feels bitter, then this indicates the development of ailments associated with the work of the gallbladder and its ducts: gastritis, duodenitis and pancreatitis.
To determine the root cause, you must undergo a full examination. In the diagnosis of one of the above diseases, treatment is carried out for the main pathology that caused dry mouth. After the course of treatment, the unpleasant symptom disappears on its own.
When the cause of dry mouth disease?
dry mouth - what causes the disease?
1. Swelling of the nasal mucosa. Often with rhinitis, adenoids or an allergic reaction, the person begins to breathe through the mouth. That is why dryness and burning in the mouth may appear.
2. Dehydration of the body. Dryness manifests itself in dehydration caused by severe intoxication and conditions in which the body temperature increases significantly, for example, in acute infectious diseases. In addition to this symptom, there is severe headache, general weakness, loss of working capacity, lack of appetite, sleep disturbances and dizziness.
3. Diabetes. The first symptom of the development of the disease (regardless of its type) is just dryness of the mucous membrane, as well as constant thirst. At the same time, there may be an increase in urination, weight loss for no apparent reason, and general weakness.
When these symptoms appear, it is recommended to be examined by a general practitioner and an endocrinologist for diagnosis and prescribing adequate therapy.
4. Violation of the salivary glands. An adult's body normally produces approximately 1.5 liters of saliva. This volume is produced by three pairs of large salivary glands - the parotid, submandibular and sublingual.
In addition, in the oral cavity there are microscopic salivary glands, which are located on the mucous membranes of the palate, cheeks, tongue and lips.
The blockage of their work can be caused by the following pathologies: Sjogren's disease, salivary stone disease, epidemic viral parotitis, neoplasms (benign and malignant). As a rule, the feeling of dryness occurs when eating, when the damaged salivary glands must produce additional portions of the secret.
5. Diseases of the digestive tract. White tongue and dry mouth - causes of problems in the work of the entire digestive system. Appearance in the language of a whitish or yellow shade of plaque may indicate pancreatitis, gastroenteritis, cholecystitis, hepatitis, peptic ulcer, etc.
When biliary dyskinesia and problems in the gallbladder at the same time there is a feeling of bitter taste in the mouth and pain in the right hypochondrium.
6. Cystic fibrosis. Hereditary disease, accompanied by a dysfunction of all the endocrine glands, which are purely salivary. Along with the dryness of the tongue, problems are observed in the gastrointestinal tract and bronchopulmonary system.
7. Malfunctions of the urogenital system. Often dry mouth accompanies such diseases as urethritis, cystitis, renal failure, prostatitis, nephritis, etc.
8. Avitaminosis. Lack of ascorbic acid, carotenoids, tocopherol, vitamins of group B and some trace elements negatively affect the functioning of the salivary glands.
What to do? When to go to the doctor?
In cases where dryness of the mucous membranes is not associated with the painful conditions of the body, you can get rid of it, eliminating provoking causes.
In a situation where, in addition to dry mouth, you are disturbed by other manifestations of trouble in the work of the organs and systems described above, it is advisable to read the full medical examination for the timely detection of diseases and the start of treatment.
If you are worried about nausea, dry mouth, white bloom on the tongue, then visit an experienced gastroenterologist. With increased thirst and weight loss, go through an examination by an endocrinologist. In case of infectious diseases, consume as much fluid as possible and take appropriate medication.
Eliminating the causes of dry mouth at night associated with breathing through the mouth or snoring is reduced to the normalization and control of night breathing. Perhaps the use of special clips for snoring.
On the possible treatment of dry mouth (recommendations)
- If you experience discomfort, dissolve a piece of ice in the mouth, a lollipop, or chew sugarless gum.
- Carefully study the instructions of all medications used, especially the side effects section. For dryness caused by medication, consult a doctor for an adequate replacement.
- Use indoor air humidifiers. It is also recommended to put wet terry towels on the battery several times a day to increase the humidity in the room.
- Brush your teeth twice a day with quality toothpaste. Rinse your mouth after every meal.
- Drink enough water - an adult should drink at least 8 glasses of free fluid per day.
- Take multivitamin complexes with trace elements to prevent hypovitaminosis, eat as much as possible a variety of fresh vegetables, fruits, berries and leafy greens.
- Enrich the diet with healthy vegetable oils containing omega-3 PUFAs - linseed, soybean, sesame, pumpkin and nut oil.
- Be sure to eat food with coarse dietary fibers - cereals, fruits, bran, fiber, as they increase the production of saliva when chewing.
- Eat solid foods, because when you absorb liquid foods, a person produces a minimum of jaw movements, and this leads to a slowing down of the salivary glands.
- Refuse spicy and salty foods, stop smoking, do not abuse alcohol, and dry mouth will not bother you.
In those cases where the listed activities and recommendations do not give a positive result, and dryness of the mucous membranes does not cool down on its own for a long time, then it is worth thinking about the state of health and contact a medical institution.
In any case, only a doctor can make an accurate diagnosis and prescribe therapies, including medication. In no case do not self-medicate, as this can lead to disastrous consequences.
Do not neglect the signals of your body, start to take care of your own health as soon as possible, and then active longevity and well-being is guaranteed to you!
Dry mouth in women - causes
The feeling of dryness in the mouth is due to insufficient function of the salivary glands. Pathology is detected in 12% of the world's population. In the age group, the incidence of xerostomia increases and is more than 25%. Such an increase in dysfunction of the salivary glands with age is not only caused by destructive-degenerative processes, but is also the result of numerous diseases suffered during life.
The reasons for the constant dryness in the mouth - a violation of the qualitative composition and quantity of secretions secreted by salivary glands.
If you analyze the scientific literature, it becomes noticeable how rarely this problem is studied. The reason for this “inattention” is the lack of a clear definition of the very concept of “dry mouth”.
A common cause of reduced salivation is the side effects of therapy using:
- tetracyclic antidepressants,
- antipsychotic drugs
- atropine and antihistamine drugs,
- β - blockers that cause hyposalia (reduced secretion of saliva).
Medical xerostomia, as a rule, is moderate or minor, and the function of the salivary glands is restored after correction of the treatment.
A much more dangerous reason for the suppression of the secretion of saliva is radiotherapy, used to treat malignant diseases of the cervico-facial area, upper respiratory tract and digestive tract. The salivary glands are extremely sensitive to the effects of ionizing radiation. Under its influence, irreversible changes occur in the tissues, causing drying of the mucous membranes of the mouth and pharynx. The total dose of 10 Gy obtained during the week of treatment leads to a decrease in the production of saliva by 50-60%. Chemotherapy leads to similar consequences, but this phenomenon is usually reversible.
More diverse causes of dry mouth are non-pathogenic (not caused by diagnostic, prophylactic, or therapeutic actions) character. Constant dry mouth cause somatic diseases.
The sensation of dryness in the oral cavity accompanies the loss of fluid due to:
- copious sweat caused by increased body temperature or the environment,
- massive blood loss
- extensive damage to the skin (frostbite, burns),
- diarrhea and vomiting.
A feeling of dry mouth can appear during pregnancy and lactation. Dry mouth during pregnancy is reversible and is caused by natural processes taking place in the woman's body.
Dry mouth tends to increase, especially in recent decades, which is associated with environmental degradation, physical inactivity, hypoxia, and chronic stress.
Reducing the secretory function of the salivary glands leads to a weakening of the protective mechanisms of the oral cavity and creates favorable conditions for the development of pathogenic microflora.
When xerostomia observed the following violations:
- trophic function of oral tissues,
- the process of regeneration of tooth enamel,
- cell cycle of oral epithelial cells,
- antimicrobial function,
- digestive processes
- synthesis of growth factors:
- production of parotin - a hormone involved in phosphorus-calcium metabolism in bone and cartilage tissue.
Some scientists call the increase in life expectancy the reason for the growth of hypo-salivation and xerostomia, since the main number of patients who come to medical institutions for dryness in the oral cavity is noted in developed countries. These are mostly people of the age group.
Causes of constant dryness in the mouth, non-pathogenic in nature - diseases of the circulatory and endocrine systems, various infections, metabolic disorders:
- Guzhero-Shegren's primary and secondary syndrome,
- type 2 diabetes
- hyper or hypothyroidism
- Mikulich syndrome
- some metabolic disorders,
- infectious diseases,
- hypertonic disease,
- rheumatoid arthritis,
- Iron-deficiency anemia,
Расстройство функции слюнных желез вызывает нарушение процесса жевания, вызванное аномалией прикуса или утратой зубов. Drying of the oral mucosa occurs in violation of breathing through the nose as a result of rhinitis, tonsillitis, sinusitis, hay fever, and violation of the nasal cavities.
Dry mouth causes fluid loss when:
- blood poisoning,
- typhus and typhoid fever,
- some diseases of the digestive tract,
Dry mouth can be caused by reflex inhibition of the function of the salivary glands, their inflammation (sialadenitis) or blockage of the excretory ducts (sialolithiasis). Neurogenic causes of reduced salivation are noted in some nervous diseases, as well as damage to the nervous system.
Dryness in the oral cavity is observed in cases of cystic fibrosis, in case of a genetic disease - Prader-Willi syndrome, diffuse diseases of the connective tissue, pathology of the biliary system, Parkinson's and Alzheimer's diseases. According to some scientists, the function of the salivary glands very accurately reflects the state of the excretory system. This number of diseases, a symptom of which is dry mouth, requires a serious study of this condition.
The reasons for the manifestation of the day, at night
Dry mouth may be noted not constantly, but at a certain time of day. If the mucous membrane dries at night or is dry in the morning, the reason may be a violation of nasal breathing, snoring during sleep, increased dryness or air temperature in the room. In older people, mouth breathing during sleep is caused by a weakening of the musculoskeletal system of the mandible.
In women, hypo-salivation can be caused by the use of cosmetics for the treatment of acne, increased oily skin. When applying medical cosmetics before bedtime, in the morning there is discomfort in the mouth and a feeling of dryness.
Drinking salty, spicy foods, alcohol for dinner is also accompanied by morning thirst and dry mouth.
During the daytime, dryness can be caused by:
- intense exercise
- negative emotions
- insufficient fluid intake,
- long stay in the sun
- high ambient temperature
- work in the heating microclimate,
- sauna stay
All of these factors cause a temporary feeling of dryness and, if they are eliminated, saliva production is restored.
Dry and bad breath
Bad breath (halitosis) accompanies insufficient production of saliva. Saliva has bactericidal, antifungal, antiseptic properties. Normally, 1 m3 of salivary gland secretions contains about 4,000 white blood cells, which provide a protective function in the oral cavity. With an insufficient amount of saliva, a change in the natural microbiocenosis (complex of microorganisms) occurs, the number of pathogenic microbes and fungi increases. The waste products of anaerobic microorganisms that appear in the oral cavity in the absence of saliva have an unpleasant odor.
In addition, the decrease in the production of saliva disrupts the initial stages of digestion that occur in the oral cavity. Food is not wetted, it lasts for a long time in the interdental space, under the gums and as a result of putrefactive processes, volatile substances with an unpleasant odor are released.
When the mucous membrane dries out, as a result of a compensatory process, plasma proteins are released on the mucosal surface - a whitish coating, it is not only a favorable medium for reproduction of pathogenic microorganisms, but also a substrate for the isolation of volatile sulfur compounds.
Halitosis cause periodontal inflammation, caries and other dental diseases. This pathology is also caused by dry mouth. That is why dry mouth and halitosis are indicators of dehydration (dehydration) of the body and symptoms of impaired processes in the oral cavity.
Disruption of the production or outflow of saliva is accompanied by the following symptoms:
- the mucosa of the inner surface of the cheeks and the surface of the tongue becomes sticky,
- a whitish bloom deposits in the sky,
- saliva does not accumulate in the mouth,
- cervical caries appears,
- the structure and color of the gums changes,
- mucous becomes pale and dull
- secreted saliva foams,
- there are no papillae on the edge of the tongue,
- numerous grooves appear on the surface of the tongue,
- there are lobules in the tongue,
- mucous cheeks and tongue atrophy,
- plaque is deposited on the teeth,
- disturbed speech function
- suffers digestion,
- perverted sense of taste
- difficult process of eating,
- there is a stench from the mouth.
Atrophy of the mucous membrane is accompanied by its thinning, the appearance of small erosions and cracks not only in the mouth, but also in the corners of the lips.
Dry mouth during gestation can be caused by natural changes in the body:
- increased urine excretion caused by:
- mechanical compression of the bladder by a growing fetus,
- changes in the hormonal levels - hyperproduction of progesterone, which affects the tone of the muscles of the pelvis,
- increased volume of fluid in the body, which can not cope with the kidneys.
- mineral imbalance due to their use in building fetal tissues. Therefore, pregnant women often have a desire to eat pickles, which cause thirst and dry mouth.
If dryness in the mouth is accompanied by a metallic taste, the smell of acetone, then gestational diabetes is a possible cause of the condition.
To eliminate dry mouth is necessary:
- maintain oral hygiene,
- visit the dentist regularly,
- observe drinking mode - drink 1.5-2 liters of water per day,
- drink in small sips and often,
- eliminate caffeinated beverages and sweet sparkling water,
- use toothpaste with fluoride and essential oils that have a bactericidal, anti-inflammatory and deodorizing effect,
- rinse the mouth with 2% solution of sea salt at least 4 times a day, irrigation of a 0.9% solution of sodium chloride (saline) and decoctions of medicinal plants that stimulate the separation of saliva,
- eliminate alcohol-containing mouth rinses,
- do not use hard toothbrushes,
- use lip moisturizers
- stimulate saliva secretion with sugarless and acidic sugar candies.
In severe xerostomia apply:
- gel "Xerostomy"
- Oralbalance saliva substitute,
- lysozyme solution
- Lizokol with collagen,
- 5% methyluracil ointment,
- physiotherapy - electrophoresis with drugs on the salivary glands.
With constant dryness in the oral cavity should be examined, to determine the cause of the condition and proceed to the treatment of somatic diseases that caused it.
What does it mean?
On the one hand, there can be no cause for concern, as this happens occasionally with any person during strong agitation. The phrase “The excitement is dry in the mouth” is familiar to many.
However, if a strong dry mouth pursues you constantly, then there is a reason to do an analysis of your health, as this may be a signal of the onset of a serious illness. After all, saliva is directly related to the work of the digestive tract, protects teeth from caries and infections.
Ways to solve the problem
Use moisturizers for the mouth, something like a saliva substitute. The use of rinses will also significantly reduce the symptoms of dryness. Consume more tea, drinks without sugar.
It's no secret that eating spicy and salty foods can cause pain if a person suffers from dry mouth. Or cause a condition when they say that "lump in the throat" has become.
Now we have considered those moments of dry mouth that do not pose a particular health hazard. Now let us consider in more detail those moments that require a more careful approach, since ignoring them can lead to very unpleasant consequences.
Dryness of the mouth in pregnant women also happens. In general, in pregnant women who observe the drinking regimen, this phenomenon is extremely rare, due to the fact that during pregnancy the salivation, as is known, only increases. If dryness is caused by hot weather, then there is no cause for concern.
But when dryness is accompanied by sour and metallic taste, this indicates a gestational form of diabetes. It can be diagnosed by glucose tests.
Also, dry mouth in pregnant women, accompanied by frequent urination, a sign of an excess of magnesium and a sharp deficiency of potassium.
Diabetes and problems with the digestive tract
Dry mouth and constant thirst are signs of diabetes. The same symptoms, accompanied by abdominal pain, speak of intestinal pathology. If yellow-white plaque on the tongue plus heartburn and increased gas formation is added to this, then we can speak of pathologies of the gastrointestinal tract and a number of diseases, including problems with the gallbladder and biliary dyskinesia.
Various forms of neurosis, psychosis and other problems of a neuropsychological nature are also characterized by the indicated symptoms. With their presence, together with the painfulness of the right side, we can talk about cholelithiasis or cholecystitis.
Hypotension is also accompanied by signs of dry mouth. To this is added more and vertigo. This problem in recent years has struck the majority of the inhabitants of the planet and many simply do not pay attention to it. But weakness, dizziness and pain in the occipital region should alert everyone who has these symptoms. This can lead to hypotonic crisis or shock. Hypotonics and hypertensive patients often suffer from dizziness, weakness and dry mouth, especially in the evening.
As you can see, the simple, it seemed, the problem, seemingly connected only with the mouth, can warn of many rather serious diseases beginning. When anxious symptoms appear, you should immediately contact your doctor and undergo an appropriate examination. Any disease is easier to prevent than to treat it.
We recommend to drink at least 2 liters of pure water a day. Add hot pepper to your diet if there are no contraindications. Pepper activates salivation, as it contains capsaicin, which stimulates the work of the salivary glands.
We hope that in this material you did not find any symptoms that you might have!
After waking up
The feeling of dryness in the mouth immediately after waking up is quite common. It can be provoked by many factors, both internal and external. Nasal congestion, snoring at night, problems with the respiratory system are the most common causes of discomfort.
In the process of removing alcohol from the body, dry mouth appears. The causes of which diseases are associated with insufficient saliva production are described in the medical literature and reference books to inform doctors and patients that this symptom must be paid attention to.
And although inadequate moistening of the mucous membrane in the morning is not critical in most cases, you should observe saliva flow throughout the day, because this can be a symptom of a serious illness.
Why does the mouth dry during sleep?
Night dry mouth requires close attention to yourself, as it may be a symptom of a serious illness. It is important to properly detail it and understand what causes contribute to its appearance. In addition to drying out the mucous due to improper or difficult breathing, as well as over-eating at night, diseases of the nervous system can provoke this phenomenon.
It should be borne in mind that the salivary glands do not work at night as actively as during the day. If their innervation is impaired, this phenomenon is aggravated. This symptom may indicate the presence of disease in a chronic form. If there is a systematic repetition of insufficient production of saliva, and it does not pass after awakenings - this is an alarming sign. The patient must make an appointment with a specialist in the clinic.
Causes of dry mouth, not due to illness
Even a healthy person should alert dry mouth. The causes of which diseases are associated with a deficiency of saliva can be found by entering a query into a search engine. Their list will be quite large, so this symptom can not be ignored and must be removed as soon as possible.
External and internal causes of dry mouth:
- Insufficient air humidity and elevated temperature. This problem is observed in the summer, when drought, as well as in apartments with central heating, if there is no additional air humidification.
- Improper nutrition. Eating fatty, spicy and salty foods contributes to dry mouth. The reasons for which the disease manifests itself in this way is determined according to the list of disorders in the body that provoke the development of the disease in a patient.
Pregnant women are prone to disruption of the salivary glands. This phenomenon contributes to the abundant sweating, frequent urging to the toilet and the addiction of the body to increased stress. A deficiency of potassium and a surplus of magnesium also contribute to the appearance of a lack of saliva production.
An alarming sign is the appearance of metallic taste in the mouth, it can signal the onset of gestational diabetes. A woman needs to consult a doctor, who will prescribe tests for blood sugar and glucose tolerance.
Permanent dry mouth: a feeling of dry mouth, its causes and consequences
There are situations when a person feels a short-term lack of saliva production, it is unpleasant, but not dangerous. Be sure to contact the doctor if he has a constant dry mouth. A feeling of dry mouth can be a symptom of developing serious diseases that should be started as soon as possible.
This is especially true for diabetes mellitus, which may in the initial stages remain unnoticed by the patient, at a time when it is necessary to begin his therapy and compensate for a metabolic disorder.
Diabetes mellitus as the cause of dry mouth
Diabetes mellitus is a disease of the endocrine system that slowly destroys the patient. One of its main symptoms is constant dry mouth. The sensation of dry mouth and incessant thirst exhausts the person. He feels a constant hunger and frequent urge to urinate.
A person wants to drink because glucose molecules bind water molecules, thereby provoking dehydration. This condition requires therapy, which includes taking medications that lower blood sugar levels. Patients need to control its quantity with the help of special equipment.
How to win
What should the patient do if there is constant dry mouth? Feeling of dry mouth can be caused by various reasons. If they have a pathological nature, then the underlying disease must be treated, otherwise it will be impossible to solve the problem. In case of a saliva deficiency due to the patient’s habits, they need to be corrected.
In any case, when discomfort arises, it is necessary to replenish the water balance as soon as possible and take care that there is no excessive loss of fluid.
Dries in the mouth: the cause of the symptom, the diagnosis of disorders and their treatment
Many people notice in certain periods of their lives that they have dried in the mouth. The reason for the appearance of insufficient salivation can be both minor and easily removable, as well as serious, requiring treatment of the pathological process. An organism is a system whose normal functioning depends on the coordinated work of all its organs and systems. There is a large list of violations that lead to dehydration.
They lead to dry mouth, which is not always possible to remove, to fill the lack of fluid in the body. Each patient should be attentive to sensations in the oral cavity and if there is dryness in it, consult a doctor.
The patient's complaint that he is drying his mouth should not be ignored. The reason requires diagnosis under the guidance of an experienced doctor. He needs to take anamnesis and analyze it carefully in order to determine the necessary analyzes and diagnostic procedures for the patient.
This can be a whole range of activities, depending on the clinical picture:
- Analyzes of saliva and studies of the mechanism of salivation will help determine whether the patient has a pathology of the salivary glands.
- General blood and urine tests will show the doctor what condition the patient’s body is in, whether there is a hidden inflammatory process and anemia.
- Measurement of blood glucose and tolerance to it in a patient is necessary to rule out diabetes.
- Ultrasound of the salivary glands will help determine the presence of tumor processes, stones or neuritis in the salivary glands.
- A serological blood test will show whether a person has Sjogren's disease.
These are the most common tests and investigations for problems with salivation. After examining the clinical picture, the doctor can adjust their list at his discretion, based on the appropriateness of their conduct.
What is dangerous
Does a person need to worry if his mouth dries? Причина этого явления может быть спровоцирована наличием патологического процесса или не быть с ним связанной, но определить ее нужно обязательно. Если слюны не хватает, то для ротовой полости это катастрофа, так как в ней нарушается нормальный баланс микрофлоры.
There is a rapid growth of pathogenic microbes that cause gum disease and tooth decay. Some patients have candidiasis in the mouth. People with saliva deficiency often have dry and inflamed lips, which often have cracks.
Which doctor can help
If a person notices that he dries in the mouth, the cause of this phenomenon may be a malfunction of the body, so it is recommended to consult the following specialists:
- The dentist will check the condition of the patient’s teeth and gums, the presence of caries and inflammatory processes in the gums.
- The endocrinologist will check the condition of the thyroid gland and send it to a blood sugar test so as not to miss the development of diabetes. In case of violations, Novotiral or Tireote may be prescribed.
- An otolaryngologist examines for the presence of respiratory diseases.
- A gastroenterologist will help diagnose a disease of the gastrointestinal tract, if they are present.
- A cardiologist will check the work of the heart.
- A neurologist will evaluate the work of the patient’s nervous system.
The reason for the lack of saliva in a patient is rarely obvious, before the doctor determines it, the patient will need to pass the necessary tests and examine the body using diagnostic methods recommended by the doctor.
Treatment with traditional medicine
Dryness of the oral cavity can and should be fought with the help of traditional medicine. This will help get rid of the unpleasant symptom, even before the diagnosis. Of course, consultation of the doctor should not be canceled. One of the best ways to eliminate the lack of saliva production in the mouth is gargling with blueberries, calamus root, chamomile and sage. They need to be prepared separately, taking 1 tbsp. l dry raw materials, pour a glass of boiling water and insist at least half an hour. Next, you need to strain the broths and rinse them alternately mouth cavity.
Swollen blueberries then need to eat. At the pharmacy, you need to purchase oil made from ripe rosehips and the “Chlorophyllipta” solution, which also contains oil. We first bury the first remedy in the nose, rest for a quarter of an hour, and then drip the second. For one use, you should collect a half pipette of an oil solution, this will be enough. The course of treatment is 10 days.
It is useful to carry out rinsing of the mouth with wormwood and calendula. To prepare the tool in a glass of boiled water at room temperature, you need to add 30 drops of tincture of these herbs. Rinse should be carried out before meals, three times a day. After that, do not eat for 20 minutes. After eating the mouth can be rinsed with olive or sunflower oil, which after the procedure should be spit out. Instead of rinsing, you can wipe the mucous with cotton swab moistened with oil. It envelops the mouth well and prevents the loss of moisture.
Chewing mint leaves helps to deal with the symptoms of insufficient activity of the salivary glands and high blood sugar. A quarter of an hour before meals, several washed leaves should be chewed thoroughly washed in water. Chewing unground spice on cardamom after a meal helps with dryness. This should be done after each meal and do not rinse your mouth after that for at least an hour.
How to increase salivation
When a person dries in the mouth, the cause is not always associated with the presence of a serious disease.
In order to get more saliva, you should perform the following steps:
- Pay attention to the drinking mode, to ensure adequate flow of water into the body. According to doctors, the amount of fluid consumed should be at least two liters.
- Ensure that the air in the house is sufficiently humidified, and its temperature is not too high or low.
- Revise the diet, excluding food that violates the water balance. You should refuse alcohol and coffee, which provoke dryness in the mouth. It is better to eat dishes of room temperature, having a liquid consistency.
- Put sugarless gum or candy in your mouth. With the moistening of the oral cavity ice cube does well, if it gradually dissolve.
- Take a tincture of Echinacea purpurea 10 drops every hour.
Each person can choose for himself a suitable way, but it is better to apply them in a complex, then there will be no trace of dry mouth. If the deficiency of saliva occurs frequently, then you should definitely consult a doctor.
The main causes of dry mouth
- Dry mouth in the morning, After sleep, at night worries a person, and in the afternoon this symptom is absent - this is the most innocuous, banal reason. Dry mouth at night appears due to mouth breathing or snoring during sleep. Violation of nasal breathing, may be caused by a curvature of the nasal septum, nasal polyps, pollinosis, allergic rhinitis, runny nose, sinusitis (signs of sinusitis in adults).
- As a side effect of the use of mass drugs. This is a very frequent side effect, which can be caused by many means, especially if several drugs are taken at once and the manifestation becomes more pronounced. Dry mouth can be used in the treatment of the following medicines of different pharmacological groups:
- all types of antibiotics, antifungal drugs in pills
- sedatives, muscle relaxants, antidepressants, drugs prescribed for mental disorders, for the treatment of enuresis
- antihistamines (allergy pills), painkillers, bronchodilators
- drugs for obesity
- for acne therapy (see acne remedies)
- medicines for diarrhea, vomiting, and others.
- Obvious is the appearance of this symptom in various infectious diseases, due to high temperature, general intoxication. Also at viral infectionsaffecting the salivary glands, blood supply systems, and influencing the production of saliva, for example, with parotitis (mumps).
- Systemic diseases and diseases of internal organs - diabetes mellitus (dry mouth and thirst), anemia, HIV infection, Parkinson's disease, Alzheimer's disease, stroke, Sjogren's syndrome (dry mouth, eyes, vagina), hypotension (dry mouth and dizziness), rheumatoid arthritis.
- Lesions of the salivary glands and their ducts (Sjogren's syndrome, parotitis, stones in the ducts of the salivary glands).
- Radiation and chemotherapy with cancer also reduces saliva production.
- Head surgery and injuries may damage the integrity of the nerves and salivary glands.
- Dehydration. Any diseases that cause increased sweating, fever, chills, diarrhea, vomiting, blood loss can lead to desiccation of mucous membranes and dehydration, which is manifested by dry mouth, the causes of which are understandable and this is eliminated by itself after recovery.
- Injury of the salivary glands during dental procedures or other surgical interventions.
- It can also be dry in the mouth. after smoking.
With constant dry mouth, the risk of developing various gum diseases, such as gingivitis (symptoms), increases significantly. As well as the appearance of candidiasis, fungal stomatitis, caries, chronic tonsillitis and other diseases of the oral cavity, since the disruption of the salivary glands reduces the protective functions of the mucous membrane, opening the way for various infections.
If, besides dryness in a person’s mouth, bitterness in the mouth worries, nausea, tongue becomes white or yellow, dizziness, palpitations, dryness is also observed on the eyes, in the vagina, constant thirst and frequent urination, etc. - This is a whole complex of various diseases, which can only be understood by a qualified doctor in person. We will consider some diseases in which a combination of dry mouth with some other symptoms is possible.
Dry mouth during pregnancy
Dry mouth during pregnancy should not occur during a normal drinking regimen, since, on the contrary, the production of saliva increases in pregnant women.
- However, in cases of natural hot air in the summer, excessive sweating can cause a similar symptom.
- Another thing is, if dry mouth in a pregnant woman is accompanied by a sour, metallic taste, this may indicate gestational diabetes and the woman should be tested for blood glucose, as well as a test for glucose tolerance.
- During pregnancy, women have to urinate often enough, and if periodic dry mouth occurs, the reason is that fluid is excreted from the body, the need for it increases, and there is no replenishment, so pregnant women should consume enough liquid.
- Therefore, pregnant women are not allowed to eat salty, sweet and spicy, all that contributes to the violation of water-salt metabolism.
- Also, the cause of dry mouth during pregnancy can be a sharp deficiency of potassium, as well as an excess of magnesium.
Dryness around the mouth is a sign of cheilitis
Glandular cheilitis is a disease of the red border of the lips, a disease that begins with desquamation and dryness of the lower lip, then the corners of the lips crack, sticking and erosion appear. A sign of cheilitis can be discerned by the person himself - between the border of the lips and the mucous membrane, the exits of the salivary glands increase. Licking the lips only worsens the situation and chronic inflammation can lead to malignant neoplasms. When treating this disease, they try to reduce the production of saliva.
Why does dry mouth, bitterness, nausea, white, yellow tongue arise?
Bitterness in the mouth, dryness, yellow on the tongue, white tongue, heartburn, belching - these are symptoms that can be in many diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, but most often these are signs of the following diseases:
- Dyskinesia of the bile ducts or in diseases of the gallbladder. But it is possible that such signs can also be combined with duodenitis, pancreatitis, cholecystitis, as well as with gastritis.
- Dry mouth, bitterness - causes may be due to inflammation of the gums, combined with a burning sensation of the tongue, gums, with a metallic taste in the mouth.
- With amenorrhea, neurosis, psychosis and other neurotic disorders.
- If bitterness and dryness are combined with pain in the right side, these are signs of cholecystitis or the presence of stones in the gallbladder.
- The use of various antibiotics and antihistamines leads to a combination of bitterness and dry mouth.
- In diseases of the thyroid gland, the motor function of the biliary tract also changes, adrenaline rush increases and spasms of the bile ducts occur, therefore the tongue may be coated with white or yellow bloom, dry mouth, bitterness, and burning of the tongue appear.
- Dry mouth and nausea - there are gastritis of the stomach, symptoms of which include pain in the stomach, heartburn, feeling of overcrowding. The causative agent of gastritis is not uncommon bacterium Helicobacter pylori.
Dry mouth, dizziness
Dizziness, dry mouth - signs of hypotension, that is, low blood pressure. A lot of people have low blood pressure and still feel fine, this is a normal variant. But when low blood pressure leads to weakness, dizziness, headache in the back of the head, especially when bending forward, lying down is an alarming sign, since a sharp drop in pressure is a hypotonic crisis, shock, it is very dangerous to health and even life. Hypotonics often feel dizzy and dry mouth appears in the morning, and weakness and lethargy return to the evening. Circulatory disorders affect the functions of all organs and glands, including the salivary. Therefore, there are headaches, and dizziness, and dry mouth. The cause of hypothynia should be determined by consultation with a cardiologist and a therapist who may prescribe a supportive therapy.
Thirst, frequent urination and dryness - it can be diabetes
Dry mouth combined with thirst is the main symptom, a symptom of diabetes. If a person is constantly suffering from thirst, you often urinate, there is either a sharp increase in appetite and weight gain, or vice versa, weight loss, all the time dry in the mouth, jammed in the corners of the mouth, skin itching, weakness and the presence of pustular skin lesions in blood. Signs of diabetes in women are also complemented by the appearance of itching in the vagina, itching in the pubic area. In men, the symptoms of diabetes can be expressed as a decrease in potency, inflammation of the foreskin. Thirst and dry mouth in patients with diabetes does not depend on air temperature, if for a healthy person thirst is typical in heat, after salty food or alcohol, then for those who have diabetes, it is constant.
Dry with pancreatitis, with menopause
Dry mouth, diarrhea, pain in the left abdomen, belching, nausea, flatulence - these are typical symptoms of pancreatitis. Sometimes a slight inflammation of the pancreas can go unnoticed. This is a very insidious and dangerous disease, which occurs most often in people who overeat, are addicted to fatty, fried food, and alcohol. With attacks of pancreatitis, the symptoms are very bright, a person experiences severe pain, and there is a violation of the movement of enzymes in the pancreatic ducts, they linger in it and destroy its cells, causing intoxication of the body. In chronic pancreatitis, a person must follow a diet, know what to eat with pancreatitis, and what not. This disease leads to impaired absorption of many nutrients in the body. Vitamin deficiencies (see avitaminosis, hypovitaminosis), trace elements disrupt the normal condition of the skin and mucous membranes. Therefore, there is a dullness, brittle hair, nails, dry mouth, cracks in the corners of the mouth.
- With menopause
Palpitations, dizziness, dry mouth and eyes - the causes of these symptoms may be menopause in women. When menopause decreases the production of sex hormones, the extinction of the functions of the sex glands occurs, which naturally affects the general condition of the woman.
The first signs of menopause in women are due to changes in the function of the autonomic nervous system, usually after 45 years. Symptoms of menopause are greatly aggravated if a woman has suffered a stressful situation, an injury or she has exacerbated a chronic disease, this immediately affects the general condition and is called climacteric syndrome.
In addition to hot flashes, anxiety, chills, pains in the heart and joints, sleep disturbances, women notice that all mucous membranes are drying, not only dry mouth appears, but also in the eyes, throat, and vagina.
The manifestation of most of these symptoms becomes less intense when the gynecologist prescribes various drugs for menopause — antidepressants, sedatives, vitamins, hormonal and non-hormonal drugs for menopause. Signs of menopause are alleviated by doing Bodyflex, breathing exercises or yoga, with a balanced diet and proper rest.
Dry mouth and eyes - Sjogren syndrome
This is a rare autoimmune disease that affects the connective tissue of the body (see the symptoms of Sjogren syndrome). Few people know about this disease, and it most often occurs in women after 50 years in the postmenopausal period. In Sjogren's syndrome, the hallmark is generalized dryness of all mucous membranes of the body. Therefore, symptoms such as burning, pain in the eyes, feeling of sand in the eyes, as well as dry mouth, dry throat, jammed at the corners of the mouth are important signs of autoimmune disorders. Over time, this chronic progressive disease affects not only the salivary and lacrimal glands, but also affects the joints, muscles, skin becomes very dry, pain and itching in the vagina appears. Also from the dryness of the mucous membranes often arise various infectious diseases - sinusitis, otitis, sinusitis, tracheobronchitis, atrophic gastritis, pancreatitis, etc.
Increased dryness, diarrhea, weakness, stomach ache
In any food poisoning, when diarrhea (diarrhea), nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain occurs - dehydration occurs and dry mouth appears. The cause of its appearance can also be irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), intestinal dysbiosis. If digestive disorders, dyspepsia last more than 3 months, a gastroenterologist can make a diagnosis of IBS or dibacteriosis. Disruption of the gastrointestinal tract has many causes, it is the intake of various drugs, antibiotics, and poor nutrition. The main symptoms of IBS are as follows:
- Pain in the epigastric region after eating, which goes away when you have a bowel movement.
- Diarrhea in the morning, after lunch or vice versa - constipation
- Belching, bloating
- Feeling "coma" in the stomach
- Sleep disturbances, weakness, lethargy, headaches
- After a stressful situation, anxiety, physical exertion, the symptoms worsen.
How to get rid of dry mouth
To begin with, you should find out the exact cause of dry mouth, because without a clear diagnosis it is impossible to eliminate any symptom.
- Если причина сухости во рту вызвана нарушением носового дыхания, заболеваниями ЖКТ, сахарным диабетом - следует обратиться к отоларингологу, гастроэнтерологу, эндокринологу.
- Try to get rid of bad habits - smoking, alcohol abuse, reduce the consumption of salty and fried foods, crackers, nuts, bread, etc.
- Increase the amount of liquid you drink, it is best to drink a glass of pure water or mineral water without gases 30 minutes before a meal.
- Sometimes it is enough to increase the humidity in the room, for this there are a lot of different humidifiers.
- You can lubricate your lips with special balms.
- If there is an unpleasant odor from the mouth, you can use chewing gum or special mouth rinses.
- You can use special pharmacological drugs, saliva substitutes and tears.
- When used in food, hot pepper, you can activate the production of saliva, because it contains capsaicin, which helps to activate the salivary glands.
Why does this phenomenon occur?
There may be several reasons why salivary glands do not cope with their physiological activity. But a person at the same time may experience a different level of fluid demand — from having to compensate for the missing volume once, after drinking a glass of water, to regularly repeating this action throughout the day. The second case indicates the presence of a progressive disease, which is expressed in the desiccation of the oral mucosa.
At the initial stage of the examination, a specialist finds out at what time of day xerostomia develops, since this is crucial for making an accurate diagnosis and detecting predisposing factors. It is also important for the physician to understand that discomfort occurs temporarily or permanently. If the dryness of the mucous membrane of the mouth practically does not disappear even after drinking water, but only reduces the intensity of its manifestation, the symptom, being in combination with other signs, indicates a progressive process of one of the rather serious pathologies:
- Ÿ endocrine disorders - more often - insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus,
- Ÿ HIV / AIDS,
- Ÿ iron deficiency anemia,
- Ÿ Alzheimer's or Parkinson’s,
- Ÿ transferred microstroke or starting stroke,
- Ÿ rheumatoid arthritis,
- Ÿ hypotension.
Consultation of the endocrinologist is necessary when xerostomia is expressed not only in the form of thirst. It is important to pay attention to the presence of such phenomena as a sudden, unreasonable weight loss, an increase in the frequency of urination, sleep disturbance, the formation of pustular elements in the corners of the mouth, weakening of the general condition, systematic rash on the skin. Combined, these signs indicate the development of diabetes mellitus insulin-dependent type.
Injuries during the careless performance of dental operations, traumatic brain injury or other surgical interventions can also have a draining effect on the mouth. The main reason is damage to the salivary glands.
In addition to xerostomia, one of the complications of the normal functioning of the salivary glands is a decrease in the immune ability of the mucous membrane, which increases the likelihood of infection of soft tissues: from stomatitis to tonsillitis.
What does the periodic appearance of dryness in the mouth?
Intoxication of the organism is manifested in the desiccating property — it disrupts blood circulation inside the mucous epithelium and the activity of the salivary glands. But the onset of recovery entails the independent elimination of this symptom. Periodically, dry mouth worries people after undergoing stressful circumstances, as a result of using certain groups of drugs, as well as due to dehydration caused by an infectious process.
The desiccation of the oral mucosa has a physiological significance during the onset of menopause in women. Often this symptom is a manifestation of toxemia - then the observing gynecologist adjusts the water balance to stimulate the production of saliva. But one of the reasons for the development of this symptom while carrying a child is a deficiency of potassium in the body or an increased content of magnesium.
If, against the background of dry mouth, an unpleasant taste arises - bitter or sour, then we are talking about gastrointestinal disorders. Therefore, it is necessary to consult a gastroenterologist and understand what caused this condition - toxicosis, nutritional errors or pathology of the digestive tract organs.
Pregnancy implies a change in the hormonal background, which is directly related not only to the activity of the reproductive system - it is important how fully the thyroid gland functions, whether it synthesizes hormones, triiodothyronine and thyroxin, in the required amount. Dry mouth that bothers a pregnant woman may indicate endocrine problems. The level of their negative impact on the mother and child’s organism is determined by the observing gynecologist together with the endocrinologist.
Even the banal consumption of spicy, salty or fried foods before bedtime can be the cause of xerostomia: in this case, the condition is normalized after quenching thirst and does not require special interventions from the doctor.
Dry mouth: treatment
The therapeutic approach is planned on the basis of the detected disease. It has a complex character: regardless of the underlying cause, it is necessary to normalize the daily water balance, stop using heavy, spicy foods before bedtime, discuss with the doctor the possibility of correcting the dosage of the treatment being given if the cause of dry mouth is their side effect.
It is important to promptly cure existing problems with the activity of the digestive tract in order to prevent them from becoming chronic. If dry mouth is caused by stressful situations, it is possible that a psychologist’s consultation will be needed: self-control must be taught in such circumstances.
It is unacceptable to engage in self-treatment: only a doctor can prescribe, correct and control treatment.
Who to contact
What to do if worried about dry mouth at night? Causes may be associated with improper operation of some systems in the body. The first is to visit the doctor. Who to contact? With such a problem, you can visit the dentist or general practitioner, such as a family doctor or therapist. A specialist will help determine the cause of an unpleasant symptom. After that, the patient can be referred to another doctor. As a rule, to the endocrinologist, rheumatologist or gastroenterologist.
After a general examination, a specialist may direct to pass certain tests. It all depends on the underlying disease. As a rule, the following studies are prescribed: serological analysis, biochemical blood analysis, analysis of the amount of thyroid hormones, urine and blood tests.
In addition to the above, the doctor may refer the patient to an ultrasound scan, computed tomography, x-rays, and so on.
Dry mouth at night: causes and elimination
If dry mouth is temporary, then the following methods will help to get rid of unpleasant sensations:
- At the first sign of dry mouth and throat, you need to drink some liquid. Best thirst quench ordinary water. Other drinks, especially too sweet and fizzy, will only aggravate the condition. Some time after their use, thirst will only increase.
- Medicines can be used to combat the sensation of dryness. The main disadvantage of this method is that the drug can be purchased only by prescription. Appoints such drugs only doctor. To remove dry mouth, it is often prescribed a course of inhalation with the drug on a plant-based ("Vitaon").
- Sour lollipops will increase salivation. For these purposes, ideal fruit bones and chewing gum. Best in this regard helps the use of fresh lemon without sugar.
- Many experts recommend gnawing ice.
- If the patient does not suffer from diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, then in his diet he can add dishes that include such an ingredient as chili pepper. The composition of this spice includes a component that can stimulate the function of the salivary glands.
Dry mouth inhalation
To get rid of dry mouth, you can do inhalation with soda-saline solution. It is recommended to carry out the procedure before going to bed. To prepare the solution, you need to take one teaspoon of salt and soda, mix and pour a liter of hot water.
Breathe should be over the steam, covered with a towel. The duration of the procedure should be at least 15 minutes. It is worth noting that herbal teas can be used for inhalation. For plants that can overcome dry mouth, calendula, lemon balm, chamomile, mint should be attributed. You can purchase raw materials in dried form at the pharmacy. Finding such drugs is not difficult.
For the preparation of solutions of herbs it is necessary to brew a tablespoon of raw materials with a glass of boiling water. The tool should infuse for 15 minutes. Finally, the fluid can be drained and used for inhalation.
Recommendations of specialists
What should I do to overcome dry mouth at night? The reasons for the development of this phenomenon are very difficult to determine yourself. However, there are general recommendations:
- the patient must give up alcohol abuse, smoking tobacco products, as well as other habits that are harmful to the body,
- in the room should be regularly carried out wet cleaning and ventilate the room before and after bedtime,
- you should not use for rinsing the mouth of the substance and special means, which include alcohol,
- regular consumption of fresh vegetables, berries and fruits will help to get rid of dry mouth, besides this food is rich in vitamins,
- It is recommended to brush the tooth at least twice a day: after and before bedtime (in this case, special formulations containing such a component as fluorine should be used).
The wisdom of the centuries
Wise men living in China say that you can get rid of dry mouth with a simple exercise. To do this, it is necessary to perform the movements that a person makes when rinsing the mouth. The lips should be closed. Repeat the exercise must be at least thirty times.
After swallowing the accumulated saliva, it is worthwhile to imagine how it gradually goes to the navel. To completely get rid of dry mouth, regular training is necessary.
Can there be complications
With the wrong pathology therapy, serious complications can occur. Therefore, experts do not recommend self-treatment. The consequences can be very dire. Among the undesirable manifestations is the following:
- deterioration of the taste buds,
- inflammation of the mucous membranes of the mouth,
- violation of the work of the gastrointestinal tract,
- the appearance of ulcers and ulcers in the mouth,
- tonsillitis of chronic nature.
It should be noted that dryness in the oral cavity accelerates the development of dental caries. This can be explained by difficulties associated with the removal of food debris. Exactly the same problem occurs when using dentures.