Figs are sweet fig fruits. Most often used dried, because fresh berries quickly deteriorate. Figs used in cooking for making jam, compote, desserts. It is added to meat dishes. It has a rich chemical composition. In folk medicine, it is used to treat coughs, acute respiratory viral infections and colds, pathologies of the urinary tract and kidneys, disorders of the digestive system.
Figs - a useful southern berry with a peculiar sweet taste. Most often used in dried form. But at the end of the summer fresh fruits appear for a short while. What is the use of figs? What are the properties and methods of application of the fruit of the fig tree?
It grows in the southern countries and regions - in Egypt, Abkhazia, Uzbekistan, Georgia, on the peninsula of Crimea. It is a tall tree up to 13 meters. The foliage is hard, large, palmate-lobed. The fig tree is considered one of the most ancient cultures. In the people it is called wine berry, fig, fig tree, figa.
The value is ripe fruit. In alternative medicine, leaves and root are used to make medicinal decoctions. Stem fruit pear-shaped, with a lot of seeds. There are varieties of different colors. The most common green figs with a yellow tinge. It is eaten raw, prepared jams, preserves. Black figs make delicious dried fruits. After drying, the berries get a lighter shade. White figs taste like black.
Chemical composition and nutritional value
Fig tree quickly deteriorates, but all year round is sold in a dried form. In the process of drying, the fruits do not lose their beneficial properties - the concentration of valuable substances even increases. The table shows the nutritional values of fresh and dried berries.
Table - Nutritional Value of Dried and Fresh Figs
Caloric content is also changing - in the fresh fruit only 74 kcal, in the dried - 257 kcal. The concentration of useful substances also varies. Data on the content of vitamins in the table.
Table - The content of vitamins in fresh and dry figs
The chemical composition includes valuable elements - calcium, potassium, magnesium. Phosphorus, iron, sodium are present. Figs contain natural enzymes, organic acids, pectins. The beneficial properties of figs are enhanced by the content of phytosterol, Omega – 3, Omega – 6 acids, glyceric acid.
The effect of the fruit on the body
For treatment, dried or dried figs are more commonly used. He long does not lose useful properties during storage. Fresh fruits are available for only a few months a year.
Medicinal properties of dried figs have been known for a long time. It is an effective general tonic, tonic, immunomodulatory, anti-cough. Its use is most common in ten cases.
- Digestive problems. Wine grapes normalize digestion, due to the laxative effect, remove toxins and toxins from the body, alleviate the condition with hemorrhoids.
- Cold and colds. Fig enhances immunity, is used for angina, cough, fever.
- Diseases of the upper respiratory tract. Promotes dilution and sputum discharge. Accelerates recovery from asthma, bronchitis, tracheitis. Eliminates hoarseness in laryngitis.
- Heart diseases . Due to the high content of potassium and magnesium, it improves the functioning of the heart, strengthens it, and reduces the heart rate.
- Anemia A high concentration of iron in the composition of wine berries contributes to the increase of hemoglobin.
- Inflammatory processes. It has a pronounced anti-inflammatory effect, used to treat female diseases.
- Nervous system disorders. The fig is considered a mediator of a good mood, normalizes the emotional background, stimulates mental activity.
- Parasites. The fruits of the fig tree are used in the complex treatment of helminthic invasions.
- Liver disease. Removal of toxins and toxins favorably affects the state of the liver.
- The hangover. Relieves nausea, eliminates the feeling of dry mouth, relieves headache.
Treatment with fresh figs is no less effective. It is used in the treatment of all the above diseases. But the fresh fruits of the fig tree have additional healing properties.
- Diseases of the kidneys and bladder. It has a slight diuretic effect, improves kidney function, reduces inflammation.
- Dermatological diseases. Juice fresh fig wipe the skin with acne, inflammation of the surface tissues.
- Fungus Fig contains a substance that has an antifungal effect.
- Rheumatism. Compresses from the berries relieve pain in rheumatism, arthritis and other diseases of the joints.
For women, the benefit of figs is to get rid of common diseases, a beneficial effect on appearance. With proper, regular use, the fig tree has the following effect on the female body.
- Varicose veins Fig reduces swelling, strengthens the walls of blood vessels, thins blood, eliminates the heaviness and pain in the legs.
- Cramps. During pregnancy, after prolonged wearing of high heels in women, the calf muscles sometimes cramp. Fig tree compensates for the lack of calcium, potassium and magnesium, eliminates an unpleasant symptom.
- Regeneration of skin cells. Internal and external use of fig improves skin condition.
- Weight loss . Cherry Berry helps in losing weight due to the removal of excess fluid from the body, a mild laxative effect. Figs normalizes metabolism, increases intestinal motility, removes toxins and toxins. To achieve weight loss, the fig tree should be consumed in moderation, replacing one of the meals with two or three fruits.
Even in the Ancient East, they knew how useful figs are for men. Sweet berry was used to strengthen male power. Now the spectrum of use of the fig tree has expanded.
- Prevention of heart attack. Figs strengthens the walls of blood vessels, stabilizes the emotional state, improves blood circulation, normalizes blood pressure. All this is a powerful prevention of early heart attack.
- Increased potency. Due to the rich chemical composition of the fig tree reduces the manifestations of erectile dysfunction.
Possible harm and contraindications
With a number of diseases, the fig tree does not make it easier, but it will aggravate the patient's condition. Carefully read the list of these diseases before starting treatment with dry or fresh fruit. Consider contraindications of figs.
- Diseases of the pancreas. If the pancreas is inflamed, it does not cope with a large amount of sugar.
- Diabetes . Figs cause an increase in blood sugar levels due to high glucose concentrations.
- Blood clotting disorder. Figs thins the blood - is contraindicated for people with low clotting.
- Gout The fig tree contains oxalic acid - it aggravates the condition of gout.
- Diseases of the digestive tract. The use of figs is contraindicated in gastritis, ulcers, colitis due to the large amount of fiber.
The rich chemical composition of fresh and dried fruits, calorie
Fresh figs are rarely found on store shelves. The fact is that the stability and transportability of these fruits leaves the best to do.
They should be consumed within 6 hours after collection.otherwise the figs spoil. That is why even in antiquity people learned to dry figs.
Dried figs - an exceptionally nutritious product. No wonder they stockpiled the warriors of Alexander of Macedon, going on a campaign.
Sugars in figs very much. Fruits of some varieties may contain up to 70% glucose and fructose.
Vitamin composition of figs varies - content in fresh and dried fruits is different:
Thus, some vitamins are lost when drying figs (C, B5), the content of others, on the contrary, increases.
Of the minerals in fig fruits they find:
In terms of the amount of useful potassium, figs are a champion and are second only to nuts.
How to choose a fig, how much to store, what are its useful properties, tell the program “To live is great!”:
For the body of men
Damage to the vascular system, hypertension and heart disease often cause erectile dysfunction.
Figs and helps for the prevention of early heart attacks and strokes in men. He also quickly restores mental and physical strength during hard work.
For women's health
The fruits of figs solve a serious vascular problem, familiar to many women - varicose veins.
With swelling of the legs and cramps of the calf musclesthat lovers of high heels often suffer from, dried figs relieve unpleasant symptoms. This is due to the lack of potassium, calcium and magnesium.
The ability of figs to improve the regeneration of skin cells is beneficial for women who care about their appearance. Fresh fruits can be used in dietary nutrition. for weight loss and detoxification of the body.
Figs useful for potency, prevention of heart attacks and strokes, swelling of the legs and varicose veins
Can children eat?
In the absence of allergies, figs can be safely given to children. This valuable product improve digestion and baby's appetite, will become a useful source of energy.
Figs is rich in folic acidnecessary for children for the normal development of the immune, nervous and circulatory systems.
To cover the daily need for this “vitamin of joy”, it’s enough to give the child several dried figs a day.
Usefulness during pregnancy and lactation
Pregnant women can eat figsif there are no individual contraindications. The vitamin-mineral complex contained in these fruits will provide the future mother's body with everything necessary for the formation of the fetus.
Good combination of iron and folic acid prevent the development of anemia during pregnancy. A large amount of fiber normalizes digestion.
Figs tend to stimulate lactation, therefore, can be used during breastfeeding.
At the same time care should be taken and measure: the use of large amounts of figs by the nursing mother can cause colic and bloating in the child.
In pregnancy and lactation, figs are also beneficial for children, as they contain iron and folic acid.
Medicinal properties of fruit and leaves
Over the millennia of the use of the fruits of figs, traditional medicine has accumulated a great knowledge of its healing properties. Avicenna mentioned it in his treatises.
And to this day Figs are used by naturopaths to treat many diseases.:
- bronchitis, laryngitis, tracheitis, pneumonia (to relieve cough),
- pharyngitis, sore throat (for gargling and lowering the temperature),
- constipation (to stimulate intestinal motility),
- depression (to increase the tone),
- anemia (to increase hemoglobin levels),
- hypertension (to relieve vasospasm and as a diuretic),
- inflammation of the genitourinary system (as a diuretic),
- thrombosis, thrombophlebitis (to thin the blood).
The already mentioned warriors of Alexander of Macedon used dry figs to prepare a wound healing drug.
In addition to the fruits in traditional medicine successfully used green leaves of the fig tree. They are used to treat boils, boils and eczema.
Fig leaves serve as raw materials for the manufacture of the drug "Psoberan" with which vitiligo is treated.
Figs - from a hundred diseases:
Harm and contraindications
Fruits of figs are not equally useful for all, they can be harmful to some. People should refrain from using it.suffering from the following diseases:
- hyperacid gastritis and peptic ulcers,
- inflammation of the mucous membrane of the digestive tract.
Allergic reactions to figs are rare, because figs have very few essential oils. But for people prone to allergies, it is better to treat figs carefully and eat its fruits in minimal quantities.
Do not eat figs if you have gout, diabetes, an ulcer or pancreatitis
Delicious homemade recipes
From the fruit of the fig tree at home you can prepare a lot of tasty and healthy drinks and treats.
Milk-fig cocktail. For 300 ml of milk, take 4 washed dried fruits, and boil them in milk for several minutes. Put the figs in a blender, add 1 tbsp. l honey and 4 tbsp. l chopped walnuts.
All chop and beat, gradually adding milk.
Figsar. Take 200 g of dried apples, 6 dried figs and 6 prunes. Rinse the dried fruit and soak in warm water for an hour.
Throw in a colander, move to boiling water, boil for 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and insist for an hour. Serve a drink with honey.
Fig figs for winter. Fresh figs wash, remove the stem and blanch for 5 minutes, then lower the fruit into cold water. Spread them in banks.
Boil the required amount of syrup at the rate of 300 g of sugar and 3 g of citric acid per 1 liter of water. Pour figs with hot syrup, pasteurize at 85 ° C and roll up.
Figs, baked with Camembert cheese:
Fig jam. Wash fresh ripe fruits thoroughly, cut off the stems and put into a container. Cover figs with sugar. The weight ratio of fruits and sugar is 1: 0.7. Cover the container and leave for 3 hours to give figs juice.
Place the container on a small fire, bring to a boil, remove the foam and boil for 5 minutes with constant stirring. Remove from heat, cover with a towel and let stand for 10 hours.
Then repeat the process again: boil, boil for 5 minutes and let stand 10 hours.
At the final stage, boil the jam, boil for 10 minutes, add lemon juice to taste and a little vanilla. Remove from heat, dispense in sterilized cans and close.
How much and how to eat?
Figs must be fresh and fully ripe. - only in this case, it will benefit health.
The color of the skin of the “right” ripe fig, depending on the variety, is purple, burgundy, yellowish, etc. The flesh of fresh figs is tender, jelly-like, the smell is pleasant, without acid.
If the fig smells sour, it is not necessary to eat it - the fruit has spoiled.
Rules for eating fresh figs:
- before eating the fruit carefully, but gently wash,
- peeling is not necessary, you can eat with it,
- if you do not like the skin, the fig is cut in half, and only the flesh is eaten,
- the child can be given figs, scooping up the pulp with a teaspoon.
Before serving, figs are beautifully cut into slices, pour with yogurt, sprinkle with nuts. Culinary use of figs is not limited to desserts.
Figs must be fresh and fully ripe, if the figs smell sour, you do not need to eat it - the fruit is spoiled
These fruits are great with meat, and you can use them for stuffing duck or turkey, for cooking Mediterranean salads with mozzarella, asparagus, sweet peppers, pomegranate, nuts.
Figs - a fruit that has many advantages. It is nutritious and healthy, has a number of medicinal properties, rarely causes allergies and almost no contraindications.
The use of figs in cooking allows you to diversify the menu and make a savory oriental note in it.
What is the use of figs
It is difficult to imagine a summer market without slides of black and yellow figs. Sweet, fragrant, with crispy bones fruit love not all. However, figs are very useful and should be included in your diet. He will help:
- fight viruses and can lower the temperature
- strengthen the cardiovascular system due to a record amount of potassium,
- improve blood composition
- due to the content of calcium and magnesium, it helps to cope with bad mood and headache,
- improve kidney function due to its slight diuretic effect,
- normalize the digestive system,
- improve brain function.
Thanks to the fiber contained in it, the fig is a very nourishing fruit. Just a few fruits perfectly satisfy hunger.
What harm figs
However, figs have contraindications. It should not be eaten by those who suffer from diabetes - in figs there are a lot of sugars. Most of the sugar is contained in overripe fruits at the end of the season, its content there may be more than 70%.
Also, figs are not recommended for food poisoning or stomach upset, for ulcers or gastritis. The fiber contained in it can exacerbate the disease.
Is dried fig useful?
When the fig season passes, dried fruits remain on the shelves. By its beneficial properties, dried figs are no different from fresh ones - there are also a lot of vitamins, proteins, fiber and mineral salts.
However, in dried figs, the amount of sugar and calories increase. Compare:
- per 100 grams of fresh figs only 49 kcal, 0.7 grams of proteins, 0.2 grams of fats and 13.7 grams of carbohydrates,
- per 100 grams of dried figs there are already 256 kcal, 3.1 grams of proteins, 0.8 grams of fat and 57.9 grams of carbohydrates.
People who are weakened after an illness are recommended to eat exactly dried figs - it is more nutritious and restores strength faster. But if you care about the shape, then better be stored vitamins in the season of fresh figs.
How many figs can you eat per day
Because of its specific properties, figs should not be consumed in large quantities. Healthy figs per day.So the body will receive all the necessary vitamins, and the “side” actions of the fruit will not manifest.
And if you have a weak digestive system, it is better to limit yourself to 1-2 fruits a day and do not eat them before leaving the house.
How to choose and store figs
Ripe fresh figs should not be crumpled or soft, it should not be cracked. Ripe fruit - dense, whole, resilient, but malleable. Smell it - it should smell good. The sour smell suggests that the fruits are pereseli and fermentation began in them. There is such a fig is not worth it.
Figs very quickly deteriorates. If a thin skin is damaged, then within a few hours the pathogenic bacteria will develop inside the fetus. If it lays a little longer than several days, then it will start to ferment - all the fault is a large amount of sugars.
Therefore, it can be stored for a short time: it will remain fresh in the refrigerator for a maximum of three days. Then he will begin to lose taste, aroma and beneficial properties. If you realize that you do not eat figs in three days, make jam, salad, bake a cake, or make a dessert.
How to freeze figs
Frozen fig preserves all its taste and healthy qualities. But remember: only whole, not overripe fruits are suitable for freezing. It is possible to freeze a fig both entirely, and cut into halves. It will be stored in the freezer for a year.
It needs to be defrosted in the refrigerator, and it is necessary to eat defrosted figs in a few hours, otherwise it will spoil.
Figs in cooking
Figs are used in cooking, not only as a dessert, but also as a snack fruit. You can eat it raw, just like that, but if you serve it with a sauce, it will more fully reveal its taste. Try slicing and serving figs:
- with sour cream,
- lightly sprinkle it with liquor or brandy.
And then sprinkle your favorite nuts - you get an unusual, but very tasty dessert.
In addition, figs go well with ham, cheese, white wine and champagne, meat and poultry. Chutney can be made from figs - an Indian sauce that can be spread on bread or served with main dishes.
Subscribe to our telegram channel, be aware of new materials!
What does the figs look like
Ficus Karika is the historical name of this fruit, which refers us to the ancient country of Caria, which left geographical maps long ago, but which, nevertheless, is considered the birthplace of the fig tree. Figs on another is also called fig tree or toffee.
Over its long history, this plant has managed to spread over a wide area and acquire a huge number of varieties. But the appearance of the tree itself has an established description, and is a multi-stem tree up to ten meters in height, covered with smooth gray bark with a wide spreading crown. The leaves of the common fig are rather large and have a multi-hemped form. Remarkably, the sunny side of the leaf is slightly darker than the inside.
The fruit itself has a pear-shaped, jelly-like flesh with many seeds. With that, the more of them, the fruit is considered to be tastier and of better quality. It is covered with thin skin with small fibers and has a small peephole at the top. Types of figs can vary in color, depending on the variety, there is white figs, green figs, and the most common is yellow-green, but for the local layman, the figs with purple hues are more common. The taste of the wine is sweet, but depending on ripeness it may have a sour taste.
The main season of figs comes in June-July, but the peculiarity of this fruit is that it bears fruit twice a year, and the second season comes in September-November, but there are varieties that yield only once a year. As mentioned above, there are a lot of places where figs grow, but it was most widely spread on the shores of the Mediterranean and Black Seas, in the South Caucasus and Central Asia, the Iranian Highlands and even in the Carpathians.
How many calories in fig
Fresh fig fruit has a low calorie content. A total of 49-57 calories per 100 grams of fruit. If you choose a small fruit about 30 grams by weight, then one piece of calories will be about 18 calories.
BJU fig tree per 100 grams:
- proteins - about 3 grams,
- fat - 0.8 grams,
- carbohydrates - 13-19 grams.
Sugar in fresh fruit up to 24%.
Fig ordinary has a very useful chemical composition.
Fresh fruit contains such vitamins: A, C, E, vitamins of group B (B1, B2, B5, B6), PP and folic acid.
The fig tree contains the following minerals: iron, phosphorus, sodium, calcium, magnesium, potassium. Due to the high mineral content, the fig is considered to be the leading fruit among others. By the way, in terms of potassium content, ordinary figs takes the second place of honor, after the championship of nuts.
Figs fresh beneficial properties
The beneficial properties of figs differ from dried fruit, as well as their chemical composition. Fresh smakovnitsa useful:
- Bones are strengthened.
- Iron in the wine berry more than in apples, and it is useful for anemia.
- With the help of magnesium and potassium it helps in the structure of muscles, strengthens the heart muscle, is indicated for tachycardia.
- Thins the blood, prevents the occurrence of blood clots, reduces the risk of atherosclerosis and cholesterol levels.
- Strengthens the walls of blood vessels.
- It is recommended to eat with weight loss, as it quickly saturates the body and reduces the feeling of hunger.
- From the fruits of the fig tree make anticancer drugs.
- Because of the dilution of blood, the brain is well fed with oxygen.
- Fig helps to improve mood, useful for relieving stress and irritability.
- It protects the body from colds.
- It has a beneficial effect on the kidneys and stomach, as well as cleans the intestines from harmful toxins.
- A decoction of wine berries has a diaphoretic, antipyretic effect. It also helps with colds, inflammation of the respiratory tract, gums, sore throat.
- It has a laxative effect, therefore recommended for people suffering from constipation.
- Helps to get rid of hangover. That is, relieves nausea, dry mouth, relieves thirst.
- Due to the fact that the fig has a hematopoietic effect, its fruit is used in the complex treatment of the liver and spleen.
- Fresh fruit rubbed the skin of the face and neck to rejuvenate and clean it.
- Fig jam helps with gastritis.
- It has an expectorant effect, which helps with coughing.
- It is famous for its wound healing, antiparasitic, antiseptic, anti-ulcer action.
The benefits of figs for the human body, not only in the fruit. Fig leaves also have beneficial properties. Fig leaves are part of the drug psobran. They include the milky sap, which successfully removes warts, ulcers. Possess antifungal, bactericidal and anti-coagulating action.
From the leaves make decoctions that help when you cough, enterocolitis.
Creams and ointments from fresh leaves help with itchy skin, and juice reduces inflammation.
Using ointments and creams on the basis of fig leaves should be careful in sunny weather, since, as part of the composition, furocoumarins increase sensitivity to ultraviolet rays.
The root of the fig is ground into powder and powdered to get rid of fungal diseases.
What is useful figs for women
The benefits of figs for women versatile:
- Often girls suffer from varicose veins. This is due to the love of high-heeled shoes. So smekovnitsa can cope with this problem.
- Fig is useful for weight loss. It quickly saturates the body, has a laxative effect, does not allow fat to "settle in the waist and hips, and also removes toxins from the body. There are fig fast days.
- Wine berry syrup is useful for women's intimate health. It relieves whiter from inflammation in the intimate area.
- Figs brings great benefits to pregnant women. Helps to cope with constipation, to saturate the body, so as not to experience hunger, not to gain weight. Copes with anemia and simply nourishes the body with useful minerals and vitamins.
- Steamed in milk, fig fruits are applied to the breast during mastitis. Fruits help to cope with boils and inflammations.
- Relieves pain during menstruation, if you eat at this time, 3 fruit per day.
- Fruit masks have a rejuvenating effect.
Figs for children
If the child does not experience allergic reactions and other contraindications, then fresh figs can be introduced into the diet from 1 year on. So what is the use of fig trees for children's bodies?
- The fig contains many useful substances that are so necessary for the child’s body and are important for the normal development of the child’s brain and body.
- Fruit is useful when working the digestive tract. Eliminates constipation and improves intestinal motility.
- It has antipyretic and antibacterial effect. This is very important, as children are prone to frequent infections.
- Treatment and prevention of jaundice and hepatitis.
- Strengthens the immunity of the child, helps to form resistance to pathogens.
- High iron content is a useful remedy for anemia.
- Fresh fruits strengthen the baby's teeth and gums and kill bacteria in the mouth.
What is useful figs for men
The usefulness of figs for men is to increase potency. This fruit is considered a natural aphrodisiac. Minerals such as zinc, manganese and magnesium are responsible for improving reproductive health, increase desire and sexual desire. The wine is considered a symbol of love and fertility.
In addition, a healthy fruit relieves hangover. More men are more likely to suffer from heart disease. And the fig tree helps to adjust the cardiovascular system, to clean and thin the blood, to strengthen the blood vessels.
Is it possible to eat figs with diabetes?
There are groups of people to whom the use of figs is strictly contraindicated, one of such groups is patients with severe diabetes. This is due to a too high content of fructose and glucose in the wine. But people with diabetes in a light or medium form eat figs, but only fresh and in limited quantities. Moreover, figs contain pectin, which helps to remove cholesterol from the body, which is extremely necessary for people with diabetes.
In any case, before eating diabetes, it is necessary to consult with your doctor.
Contraindications and harm
As we have already found out, along with its beneficial properties, figs have contraindications for people suffering from certain diseases. Therefore, in some cases, care should be taken. To exclude this fruit from your diet, in addition to people suffering from diabetes, should also be those who suffer from obesity, gout, inflammation of the digestive tract and any other gastrointestinal diseases, as well as pancreatitis, hyperacid gastritis and peptic ulcer diseases. In the presence of these diseases, the harm from eating figs can exceed all of its positive properties, so you should abandon the use of this fruit. But allergic reactions to the fig tree occur very rarely. This is due to the low level of essential oils in the fruit. But still, a person suffering from allergies, should begin to get acquainted with the wine berries in small quantities.
In general, the fig is a very useful and tasty fruit. Her sweetness may well replace dessert, and the benefits will be many times greater. Unfortunately, figs have a very small shelf life. Only 6 hours after cutting. And he can start to deteriorate even on the tree, because of what the fruit and nicknamed wine grapes. Therefore, seeing on sale fresh fruits of the fig tree, be sure to buy yourself a couple for the benefit of your body.
What is useful?
Is figs useful? Of course, yes, you can not argue with that. We list some of its useful properties:
- The amount of potassium contained in this fruit almost completely covers the daily requirement. And potassium, as it is known, nourishes the heart muscle and significantly improves the functioning of the heart, normalizing its contractile activity.
- Pectins tend to attract and remove toxins and slags from the body. And if the body gets rid of everything unnecessary, then the metabolism will accelerate. But a normal metabolism, firstly, allows you to effectively reduce weight, and secondly, ensures the normal functioning of all organs.
- Figs are very useful for anemia, as it contains a significant amount of iron.
- Fiber, which is part of the figs, helps to improve intestinal motility, and this allows you to get rid of problems with the chair.
- Vitamin C in the composition of this fetus is necessary for our immune system and helps strengthen the immune system.
- In addition, the same vitamin C strengthens blood vessels and makes their walls more elastic, which helps prevent the development of such diseases as atherosclerosis.
- The substances in the composition help to improve blood circulation and lower blood clotting. So the risk of blood clot significantly reduced.
- Figs - an excellent tool for recuperation after serious illness.
- After eating a few fruits, you will feel a charge of vitality, which will provide the carbohydrates necessary for energy.
- Figs have diaphoretic and antipyretic properties that make it advisable to use it for colds.
- It is also known about the antioxidant effect of fruits, which allows you to fight free radicals. These radicals can destroy the cells of the body and provoke the development of cancer. That is why fig is considered to be quite an effective means of cancer prevention.
- Since ancient times, the flesh of figs has been used by women for cosmetic purposes, making it various anti-aging remedies that improve skin condition.
- The essential oils which are a part affect fabrics in several directions at once. So, they have anti-inflammatory, antiseptic and bactericidal effects. And that is why the pulp can be used to treat certain skin diseases, as well as to accelerate the healing process of wounds.
Such is the use of figs.
Can everyone eat?
This useful fruit has some contraindications:
- Since there are a lot of sugars in figs, it cannot be consumed by people suffering from diabetes.
- Here, too, a lot of calories, so that obesity can also be attributed to contraindications.
- Urolithiasis is also a contraindication.
- Not worth the risk of duodenal ulcer or stomach ulcer.
- If you have problems with digestion (especially with diarrhea), you should not risk it, because the fruits can act as a laxative, especially if you use them in unlimited quantities.
- The composition includes oxalic acid, which is contraindicated in such diseases as gout.
- Do not eat figs with pancreatitis.
Even in the absence of contraindications, it is worth knowing the measure and complying with permissible norms. It is not recommended to consume more than 5 medium-sized fruits per adult and more than 3 children per day.
How to choose?
How to choose a fig? Immediately it is worth noting that you are unlikely to find fresh fruit on the shelves of the stores, so buy dried figs. Here are some things to consider when choosing:
- The shade of dried fruit can vary from yellow to light brown.
- Due to the large amount of sugars in the composition, the surface of the fruit will be sticky, this is quite normal.
- The flesh should not be too hard, it should be lightly pressed with a finger. Increased stiffness suggests long-term storage and fig blast.
- Fruits have medium size and flat shape. Too large sizes should be alerted.
- Smell the figs. It should have a pleasant fruity or berry flavor. A strong smell should push you away.
- White plaque on the surface of the fig is normal and is a secreted glucose.
If you have the opportunity to purchase fresh fruit, then pay attention to the integrity of the peel and its color, absence of defects, size, and smell.
How to eat?
You can eat the fruit in its original form, and you can add to the dishes. What to cook from figs? We offer an interesting recipe.
Make an appetizing and slightly unusual salad. You will need:
- 10 pieces of figs,
- 100 grams of fresh asparagus,
- 200 grams of fresh mushrooms,
- 200 grams of cherry tomatoes,
- leaf salad,
- 1 clove garlic,
- olive oil,
- 1 tablespoon of apple or wine vinegar,
- salt and pepper to taste.
- To begin with, wash and boil the asparagus in salted water, then cool it and cut it into small pieces.
- Wash the mushrooms, peel, cut into slices and fry in olive oil until cooked.
- Cut cherry tomatoes (in two halves).
- Peel and chop the garlic on the garlic press.
- Wash lettuce leaves and narvite.
- Now prepare the dressing. Mix two tablespoons of olive oil with vinegar, add garlic, pepper and salt.
- Mix all the ingredients, season the salad and mix well.
Figs can also be added to other salads, in cereals, desserts, yogurts and various beverages.
Be sure to try the figs and appreciate its taste and benefits. Bon appetit and good health!