Fogging of windows is, in fact, the formation of condensate, which is a small droplet on the glass. Condensation occurs due to an increased level of humidity or a significant difference in temperature inside and outside the room.
A few decades ago, people did not encounter such a problem, since most of the houses had wooden windows with split doors. And it was just such a design that protected from condensation: a significant distance between the glasses made it possible to neutralize the temperature difference, keeping heat inside and not letting cold outside. In addition, wood is a porous and, accordingly, “breathing” material that allows air to pass through and absorbs moisture, which also helped to neutralize condensation.
Description of the problem
The problem can manifest itself in different ways:
- The windows begin to sweat in the fall and winter, during the warm season the condensate disappears.
- Fogging is observed exclusively in the kitchen.
- Condensation occurs in the morning, and disappears around lunchtime.
- Plastic windows sweat only in one room, the rest is all right.
Usually when misting windows, wiping the glass does not give the desired effect, and after a while the condensate appears again. Drops can flow over the surface of the glass, leaving puddles on the windowsill. In addition, the humidity in the room will be increased.
Why do plastic windows mist up?
Why do plastic windows sweat? The problem is quite common, and the reasons for its occurrence can be very different:
- Installed the most inexpensive single-chamber windows. The design has only one air chamber (the space between the glasses), and it does not protect against the penetration of cold into the room, due to which there is a large temperature difference and its sharp drop when cooling outside.
- Poor-quality accessories will break the tightness of glass.
- Failure or poor quality seals between the frame and the profile. The window in this case does not close completely, but cold penetrates through the gaps.
- Errors in the installation of plastic windows, which could lead to the formation of gaps between the aperture and the profile: cold will penetrate the room through the holes. In addition, installation personnel could damage the glass unit and break its tightness.
- Increased humidity in the room. Its level may increase due to constantly drying laundry, numerous plants, placed on the premises of water tanks or its sources.
- Lack of full ventilation in the room. Assess the condition and function of the ventilation holes and consider whether you are airing enough.
- Not implemented translation of double-glazed windows for winter mode. The windows in the summer mode do not provide adequate thermal insulation during the cold season.
- Wide window sill. It will completely close the batteries located under it and block the access of heat to the windows. Accordingly, the lower parts of the windows will not warm up enough, which will lead to the appearance of condensate. In addition, the spread of heat can disrupt the screen mounted on the radiator.
- Recently completed repair. Most repairs involve the use of liquid formulations that will evaporate for some time, increasing the humidity in the room.
- Defective or damaged windows. If the window is sweating from the inside, that is, between the glasses, and not from the outside, then, most likely, the tightness is broken, which is a prerequisite for normal functioning.
- Insufficiently insulated and insulated slopes, through which heat comes out and cold outside penetrates.
How to solve a problem?
What to do to stop the windows to sweat? The solution to the problem will depend on the reasons for its occurrence and may suggest the following actions:
- If the windows are not installed correctly, contact the installer and report the problem. Employees are obliged to come and eliminate the blunders, and this service should be free of charge.
- It is desirable to replace single-chamber double-glazed windows with higher quality ones and having better thermal insulation with two- or three-chambers.
- Poor quality fittings must be replaced, as well as broken or severely damaged valve seals.
- Numerous plants standing on the windowsill, especially abundantly watered and having succulent fleshy leaves, it is better to remove to other places.
- If the humidity in the room is high, reduce it: do not dry the laundry here, remove the containers with water, turn on the heaters (they dry the air well).
- If the problem is in the slopes, then ensure their high-quality and correct thermal insulation. In addition, it is important to choose a suitable and good insulation.
- After a significant decrease in temperature, all windows should be transferred to winter mode so that they protect the interior from the cold.
- The battery must be open so that the heat generated by it evenly warms the windows. Wide window sill desirable to shorten. Remove the screen covering the radiator.
- To ensure normal air circulation and proper ventilation, clean or replace the ventilation grilles if they are faulty. You should also regularly ventilate all the rooms in the apartment, and it is advisable to do it twice a day.
- In the kitchen, which often prepares food (and this inevitably increases the level of humidity and increases the temperature difference), install the hood. More often, open the doors and leave them in the micro-ventilation position.
To avoid condensation, follow a few simple rules. First, keep an eye on the microclimate in the room: humidity, temperature. Secondly, follow the recommendations regarding the proper operation of plastic windows. Thirdly, make sure that the glass packs and fittings are in good condition and promptly fix any problems that occur.
If the plastic windows sweat a lot, this may be due to various reasons. And they should be clarified and eliminated in order to forget about the problem.
Ventilation is important
In modern homes, the ventilation system is often made of forced-air or forced-air and exhaust. If the building is equipped with exhaust ventilation only, the air intake grilles are located in each room. I emphasize - in each. However, this was not always the case.
In modern homes, each room is equipped with a ventilation duct.
Most of the housing stock in our country is Soviet-built houses. The ventilation in them was only exhaust, and the ventilation duct lattices were located only in the kitchen and the bathroom (if there is a separate bathroom - in the bathroom and in the toilet).
How were living rooms ventilated and how was the air flow through the gratings compensated by inflow? Very simple: wooden frames were not hermetic. It was the gaps between the casements and the boxes that provided the inflow, and the slow air circulation from the windows to the exhaust grilles provided airing of all the rooms.
The gaps of the wooden frames served for the flow of air.
The reader may reasonably argue that the frames were sealed for the winter. However, they were compacted with materials that let air through - with cotton wool and foam rubber. In addition, even then the excess moisture condensed on the glass, but due to the much worse thermal insulating ability of the glazing in two lines compared to the sealed glass unit, the condensate froze, forming beautiful patterns on the glass.
Now imagine what will happen if you replace all the wooden windows in the apartment with metal-plastic ones.
Let me remind you: PVC windows are closed completely sealed due to the two contours of the rubber seal - on the box and on the opening flap.
- Air flow is completely eliminated,
- The air circulation through the apartment stops
- The oxygen content in the air drops - we do not stop breathing, consuming it,
Sealed windows affect the composition of the atmosphere in the rooms.
- The atmosphere is saturated with unpleasant odors, humidity is growing,
- Since, following humidity, the thermal conductivity of air increases, the feeling of discomfort increases — the heat causes profuse sweating, and a slight cooling of the air — a feeling of constant cold,
- Finally, at a certain concentration of water vapor, the temperature of the glasses, and after them the window frames and slopes, reaches the dew point: condensation starts on them. Often begin to dampen the corners of the outer walls with insufficient heat insulating ability. Following the dampness, her faithful companion, the fungus, is quickly pulled up.
Where there is damp, there is mold.
Why do the windows sweat - plastic or any other, providing absolute tightness - we figured it out. Why do plastic windows mist up inside a glass package?
The mechanism of condensation is the same: water vapor begins to settle on a cold surface. However, there are a couple of nuances:
- If perspiration appears in the glass unit, it indicates its leakage. This defect is an unconditional defect and must be repaired by the window manufacturer at its own expense by replacing or re-fitting the glass unit,
- Condensate between the glasses will begin to appear at the first frost, even with normal humidity in the apartment. Just because the temperature of the glass on which it settles is much lower than that of the inner surface of the sealed glass unit.
Damage to one of the glasses may also cause condensation inside the glass unit.
What to do if plastic windows in an apartment or house are misted?
The problem is solved in a complex:
- Ventilation is organized of all premises, reducing the level of humidity in them to a comfortable 60-80%,
- The temperature in the rooms rises. Its rules are spelled out in the current SNiP:
- A thermal curtain is arranged in front of the windows. Simply put, the battery under the sill should be the entire window length.
The upward flow of warm air covers the entire width of the window opening.
What if the corners of the room sweat and flow? The same: ventilation is provided, the room warms up to a higher temperature in general, an additional heater is installed in the freezing corner.
Now - in more detail about what to do so that windows, corners and slopes do not sweat.
Thermal curtain: my experience
In my house, inverter air conditioners are used as heating devices: at winter temperatures, almost never falling below -15 degrees, they work all year round.
The problem of the thermal curtain in front of the windows is solved very simply: the indoor unit is located on the side wall so that the stream of warm air blows parallel to the window. There is no condensation, the glass remains dry even in rare frosts.
The flow of air-conditioned air creates a thermal curtain in front of the window.
Causes and effects of window fogging
The reason for fogging windows lies in the physical properties of water. Being in a gaseous state, it is imperceptible, but with a decrease in temperature, the so-called dew point is reached, that is, the water vapor passes into a liquid. It is in this case that condensate is formed, which is deposited on the plastic windows.
The reason for the settling of moisture on the glass - high humidity
If the windows began to mist inside, there can be only one reason - this is a defective glass package.. This element of the entire system must be sealed, and in case of violation of this condition, water vapor enters the inside, where it settles on the inner glass during cooling. This problem is eliminated by replacing the glass, the frame can be left.
However, condensate is most often formed on the outer surface of the window. Why do plastic windows sweat in winter and how to eliminate such a factor? There may be several answers to this question:
- A single-chamber glass unit was installed in the living room, which does not provide sufficient insulation.
Double-glazed window with one camera does not have sufficient thermal insulation properties.
Violation of the installation technology of the PVC window leads to depressurization of the structure
Plastic defects can also cause condensation to settle on glass.
Subsequently, fogging not only leads to a violation of the view through the glass. Often such a process provokes the occurrence of worse phenomena:
- The freezing of windows and the formation of ice on them.
- Excessive moisture causes mold, rot and mildew.
- Water and low temperatures gradually destroy the foam in the gap and violate the tightness of the entire system and home.
What to do with such a negative impact and how to eliminate the causes of window fogging?
You can verify what is causing the problem by making a simple inspection of the entire window. The first thing to do is to check the correctness of the adjustment of the valves and the degree of their locking.. This is done as follows:
- You can feel a strong draft by running your hand along the window.
- Ignite a match or a candle, if the light fluctuates, then the tightness is broken.
- In a shutter lay a paper and lock. You can pull out the sheet without any effort.
If deficiencies are found, proceed to the adjustment. The flap is set vertically and horizontally with screws located on the bottom hinge.
To adjust the valves tighten the bolts located on the bottom loop
The degree of pressure is adjusted by the eccentrics at the ends of the window, as well as by tightening the pressure plates.
Translation in winter or summer mode is carried out using eccentrics
Do not forget about the seasonal adjustment of windows. To do this, the regulators turn the marker inwards for the summer and towards the street in winter.
Often windows cry because of improper air circulation during the cold season. The reason is hidden in the wide window sills, which block the access of warm air masses to the surface of the glass unit.
In this case, to normalize the circulation in the sill, you need to drill a few holes that will ensure the normal access of heat to the glass.
Holes in the windowsill allow warm air to heat the windows
You also need to pay attention to the grilles covering the heating radiators, perhaps they also prevent air exchange.
If the window was installed with violations of technology (leaking gaps, the frame has moved), then you should contact the establishing company. Installers are required to fix this problem for free.
An independent attempt to seal the gaps may not correct the situation, since the glass unit was initially incorrectly installed.
Decoration and warming of slopes prevents the windows from fogging
Another thing is with the slopes. If the finish has not been made, it must be done immediately, otherwise it will lead to the complete destruction of the mounting foam in the gaps. In order for the windows not to cry, it is best to additionally warm them with the use of heat insulating material (mineral wool, foam plastic or foam plastic).
Quite often, windows cry because of poor-quality or worn fittings. All mechanisms should function normally and smoothly shut the sash in compliance with the normal pressure.
Damaged seal must be replaced.
Carefully inspect the seal. It should be elastic, without tears and cracks. If there is damage, and the elasticity is lost, proceed to replace it.
Single-chamber double-glazed windows are used in most non-residential premises where thermal insulation is not so important. If such a glass unit is installed in the living room, it will not provide adequate heat saving.
Thermal insulation of glass with a film does not solve the problem of cold
The problem can be solved by insulating the slopes and applying an energy-saving film on the glass. Но эти меры не обеспечат сохранение тепла в полном объеме.
Почему потеют пластиковые окна?
На старых деревянных окнах не было конденсата, а на новых пластиковых он появился. Значит причина в самих окнах? Вы правы. Old wooden windows were not so tight, there was present ventilation from micro, and sometimes not more :) cracks. And the new ones are so tight that they do not allow air to penetrate from the room to the outside.
So moisture accumulates in the apartment.
Since the glass on the window is the coldest surface in the apartment, there is condensation.
The first thought that comes to mind is to make the glass not so cold. This can be achieved by increasing the number of air chambers in the glass. On the triple and double glazing accumulates much less condensate than on single-chamber.
The second reason may be poorly made slopes. If they are not well insulated, then naturally they will freeze, leaving water droplets on the surface. Although the slopes for plastic windows is easy to do with your own hands.
What to do with sweating plastic windows?
- Remove all plants from window sills. Wet soil adds extra condensation to the window. In general, remove everything from the window sill. I had a case: they put a soft toy in the corner of the window, and within a week, the mold had literally knit it.
- Daily airing. You can't do without it, and besides, changing the air in the room has a beneficial effect on health. Put the window on the micro-ventilation, the handle rotates 45 degrees and the window opens literally an inch. You can buy special ventilation valves for plastic windows. Put on the kitchen hood and in the bathroom forced exhaust and use it more often :).
- There are already quite a few devices on the market for dehumidifying the air in an apartment. Before buying it, you need to measure the air humidity using a measuring device - a hygrometer. For a feeling of comfort in the apartment, the air humidity should be between 40-70%. I'm going to buy myself a hygrometer to find out at what humidity condensate will disappear in my apartment. If you're interested - write in the comments, be sure to answer.
- Fire hazardous method. You can light a candle on the windowsill. It will heat the air and thereby reduce or completely remove moisture from the window.
- It follows from the fourth method. You can reduce the window sill or make holes in it. Thus, the heat from the battery will be better to heat the glass.
- You can use car defrosters. It helps motorists, so why not use it at home? Perhaps the condensate will be less. Write in the comments if you have tried this method.
- Use indoor fan. It is necessary to turn it on at low power and direct it to the window. Let them push the warm air to the window.
Causes of fogging windows in the house
1. Poor air circulation: thick curtains or solid screens covering the radiators, a wide window sill, which prevents the normal movement of warm air and the heating of windows. As a result, condensate is collected on the glasses.
A wide window sill is not always good
2. Insufficient ventilation of the room: tightly closed windows, inactive ventilation shaft, lack of exhaust and vents.
3. Violation of the temperature regime: turning off the heating (for example, for the period of repair), insufficient heating of the room.
4. Errors in the installation of windows: poor-quality sealing or finishing of slopes, completing the design with non-working fittings.
Incorrectly installed window showing condensation on the glass in winter
5. The presence of sources of high humidity: indoor plants and marshy soil in pots, aquariums, linen hung for drying, pipes leaking, plumbing, balcony roofs, loggia walls.
Ways to get rid of condensation on misted windows
1. Move the indoor plants from the windowsills to the shelves, replace the thick curtains, blinds or blinds with light curtains.
2. Change wide window sills to narrower ones or install special convection grids.
3. If plastic windows (PVC) are misted, be sure to transfer the design to the “winter” mode during the cold season (modern glass units have such a function).
Mode change on plastic windows
4. While cooking, use the hood, check the ventilation in the kitchen, bathroom and toilet. A good hood almost guarantees that there is no condensation on the windows on the side of the room (inside the apartment).
5. Eliminate leaks and “unauthorized” water accumulation.
6. Buy additional heaters for large and poorly heated rooms.
7. Insulate the slopes on the windows and balcony sections, seal off the joints and gaps, if any, with a sealant (for example, assembly foam).
Insulation and careful sealing of joints solve the problem of condensate on the balcony
8. Check the window hardware, install new handles and latches if necessary. If you are only planning to replace old wooden windows with plastic ones, choose two-chamber double-glazed windows.
9. Misted windows on the balcony are eliminated by natural ventilation and heating. If possible, warm the balcony inside and out.
10. Do not forget to air every day all the rooms in an apartment or house (including balconies and loggias) for at least half an hour.
It’s a paradox, but wooden (especially old) windows mist up much less frequently than modern counterparts. The thing is that the cracked wood, unlike perfectly fitted plastic frames and slopes, is breathable.
Folk methods to get rid of condensation on the windows
The proposed means can be used as a temporary solution to the problem until the main cause of window fogging is eliminated, when a lot of time is required (several days, and sometimes even weeks).
1. Wipe the glass at least a couple of times a month with medical alcohol, supplemented with glycerin (in the ratio of 20: 1).
2. “Draw” a dry mesh on the glass with dry soap. Spread to a gloss with a clean, dry cloth (preferably cotton or microfiber).
3. In the space between the frames, place a homemade rag bag filled with salt (you can put a saucer). Kitchen salt perfectly absorbs excess moisture.
Salt absorbs excess moisture - the best temporary solution
4. If the window is foggy from the inside, a burned decorative candle installed on the window sill will help. Make sure that there are no flammable objects and substances nearby!
How does condensate form?
The physics of this phenomenon is quite simple. Fogging occurs when the air temperature in the room is higher than the window temperature. And, if the glass temperature becomes below the dew point, then the window is covered with condensate.
Humidity also plays an important role in the process. Accordingly, the conclusion is: the greater the temperature difference between the room and the window itself, the stronger and more often condensate will form on the windows.
You can see it in the table:
Thus, in principle, you can get rid of the problem in three ways:
- lower indoor humidity
- reduce the temperature in the room
- increase the temperature of the inner surface of the window
The first method is carried out in the following ways:
- using an air dryer
- airing the room
We will not consider the second method, since the room should have a temperature at which it will be comfortable for a person to be in it.
You can raise the window temperature:
- installation of a multi-glass unit
- heated windows
Often faced with such a problem: the old windows, made back in the Soviet Union, did not sweat, and after installing new plastic or wooden windows, condensate began to form almost instantly. The thing is that according to the old standards, the manufactured windows had a rather impressive distance between the inner and outer windows, much more than modern ones.
Accordingly, the inner window was heated more than the outer one, to which the heat did not reach, because, as is known, the air is an excellent heat insulator. In addition, old window products often have many cracks, between which air circulates. It should be noted that modern windows with good ventilation should not sweat at all.
But still, what are the causes of fogging windows?
single-chamber double-glazed window. If you have such a window, it will almost certainly fog up in winter,
poor ventilation in the room. This is especially true of the kitchen
a sill installed directly above the battery prevents air from circulating properly,
there is no trunnion in fittings to transfer windows to the so-called winter mode, or the owner is not aware of the possibility of regulation. This is done in two minutes, it is enough just to translate the pin in the desired position,
plants in the room secrete excess moisture,
the room is poorly ventilated. This applies especially to kitchens
and finally, the same illiterate installation, on which the majority of the owners sin.
Solving the problem of window fogging
if the glass unit is single-chamber, the easiest way is to replace it. At the same time, there is no need to change the entire window.
clean the ventilation. This procedure is not as complicated as it seems. It is enough just to clean the air duct grilles,
move the battery a little more distance or reduce the depth of the window sill. As an option - put a separate heater for glass. But this is probably the most awkward solution.
transfer windows to the desired mode, most often winter. There is no need to call a specialist, the procedure is no more difficult than to unscrew or tighten the screw. After you do this, you will immediately notice how much the window has become pressed closer to the frame. This concerns, of course, only plastic windows,
Introduce yourself the rule to air the necessary rooms at least once every three days, or rather daily,
it may be worthwhile to invite a specialist who will perform an audit of your home for heat leaks,
if all this did not help, then, most likely, it is just in the wrong installation. If the warranty on the windows is still valid, then from the moment of application it will cease to be your problem. However, firms that value their reputation will do everything without warranty.
Finally, the most effective way is to purchase a dehumidifier.
Lower air humidity
In fact, dehumidifiers do well not only when misting windows. If you began to notice the appearance of mold, feel bad, insects from where insects appear in a house or apartment, then most likely there is high humidity in the living room. In this case, even the usual drying of linen can be a problem. In this case, the air dryer you just need. By the way, the problem of high humidity often appears after repair.
These devices are of two types: electronic and mechanical. The latter work on special tablets and constitute a plastic container into which this same tablet is placed. It begins to absorb moisture from the air and release condensate into the special compartment from below. A few pieces is enough for draining a small room.
Advantages of mechanical moisture absorbing devices:
does not require electricity to work
does not release foreign substances into the air,
A minus, perhaps, is only one, but very weighty: the cost of the pills is not small, and after cessation of use all the moisture will come back.
But in this case there are electronic air dryers. The principle of their work is very similar to conventional air conditioners: the fan installed at the entrance captures air and transfers it to the evaporator, then dried air is transferred to the heater, which leads it to room temperature and delivers it to the room. Characteristic of the device is a figure indicating the amount of moisture removed for 1 hour at room temperature. A good dehumidifier will remove 18-20 liters of water from the air per day.
The drainage function is in some models of air conditioners. Whether your device works in this mode or not, you can understand it from the manual or with the help of the remote control, by finding the corresponding designations on it (they can be very different, but the most common is a “drop”).
Remember that the increased humidity in the apartment can lead not only to the formation of such a phenomenon as condensate, but also have an adverse effect on health and quality of life.
As soon as the cold comes the windows start to cry. And this problem becomes a headache for most housewives. How to deal with it? How can you get rid of condensation on the glass to forget about this crying problem forever? We offer you some useful tips on caring for windows during the cold season, and ways to solve the problem of ever-fogging windows.
Why do windows sweat?
Here is a list of reasons why windows sweat:
- The difference between the temperature outside and inside the house,
- Poor or broken ventilation in the room
- Bathrooms are not sufficiently ventilated
- Flowing plumbing,
- If a gas stove is used for heating the apartment,
- Lack of kitchen hood,
- Too many houseplants (they give off moisture that settles on the glass),
- The wide window sill does not let the heat from the battery to the glass, so it mists up,
- There is no ceiling or floor insulation
- We did not have time to prepare the wooden frames for the onset of cold weather,
- Not installed plastic windows,
- There is a manufacturing defect of a double-glazed window,
- Drying of linen in the apartment takes place in places not intended for this,
- When installing the glazing unit, the builders badly filled up the gaps, so cold air gets on the glass,
- After installing plastic windows, it is necessary to open the window in the winter mode, for natural ventilation.
Than to wash windows that they did not sweat?
If you find the cause of condensation, then use this list of possible means to remove and prevent windows from fogging.
- Any water tank (bucket, basin)
- A rag without a soft cloth,
- Wool rag,
- Microfiber cloth,
- Soap solution,
- Alcohol or alcohol-containing substances
- Shaving foam,
- Anti-foggers, or other special means,
- Scraper for windows with rubber nozzle.
How to eliminate window fogging?
How to clean glass from condensation and prevent further fogging? For this you will need:
- Wash the window with warm soapy water,
- Wipe it with a clean, slightly damp, lint-free cloth,
- Remove any remaining moisture with a rubber scraper,
- Pour alcohol or vodka on a sponge
- Wipe the glass with an alcohol sponge
- Leave to dry out.
To prevent the window from fogging up, use saline solution, namely dissolve a tablespoon of salt in four liters of water. The resulting solution wipe the glass.
Attention! There may be white streaks on the glass. Do not be scared! This means that the salt solution needs to be diluted with water and start the window cleaning process from the beginning. The pros of the salt solution is that the salt prevents icing on the glass.
Glycerin and alcohol
Make a mixture of glycerin and alcohol in the ratio of 1:10. Alcohol disappears, glycerin forms a protective film that prevents water from settling on the glass. First wash the window with warm water and wipe it with a microfiber cloth. Apply the mixture to the glass with a cotton pad or swab. Leave it in this condition and do not flush.
You should know! This method will protect against fogging and icing of glasses from the inside.
Turpentine, Potassium Oil and Glycerin
Effective recipe means from condensation on the windows.
- Wash the window with a damp cloth.
- Mix 10 grams of glycerin with 20 grams of potassium oil and 2 grams of pine turpentine,
- Apply the paste to the glass with a cotton pad,
- Polish the glass with a wool rag.
A simple way to prevent windows from sweating. Use crumpled newspapers as a glass cleaner. Printing ink has a water-repellent effect. Thanks to him, the windows will not mist up for a long time.
There is a huge amount of chemicals to prevent misting of glasses, these can be napkins, aerosols, special liquids. They contain surfactants. Apply any of the available tools to the window, it will create an invisible film on the glass that will repel water and maintain excellent visibility and cleanliness of the glass. They are very easy to use:
- Remove moisture from the window,
- On the glass, apply the spray (liquid)
- For best results, leave the product for a while.
- Wipe the window dry.
What you need to do to not sweat the window with wooden frames?
You should proceed with the prevention of wood window frames.
- All existing gaps between the glass and the frame need to be sealed with sealant (silicone) or other building materials,
- For the best effect, glue the window joints with a special paper tape or adhesive foam tape.
- Before working with chemicals and other detergents, think about the safety of your hands, and use rubber gloves,
- Also cover the window sill with a protective film or rags,
- Read the instructions for use of chemicals and strictly follow it.
By adhering to these tips, you will forget about the problem of condensation on the windows and all the inconveniences associated with them.
How to prevent fogging of plastic windows. Than to process plastic windows from fogging
The presence of such windows in the apartment, where there is plastic windows is justified. Они легки в уходе, отлично изолируют помещение квартиры от уличных звуков и хорошо сохраняют тепло. Их не нужно красить, они не гниют и не коробятся. И, при правильном монтаже, могут много лет радовать своих хозяев. Если окна сделаны верно и по всем правилам, то они сухие в течение всего года.But it also happens that on some of the smallest droplets of water are visible from the side of the room, that is, “the windows mist over”. In this case, the zone of fogging sometimes covers the entire lower part of each window glass, sometimes “rising” upwards by 2/3 of the glass area. This incident not only spoils the appearance, but is also a good environment for the development of a diverse mold. Yes, and excess dampness in living rooms to anything.
So why do plastic windows sweat?
They can sweat for several reasons:
- Too humid air in the room, especially in winter,
- A large pile of green plants on the windowsill,
- Closed by any objects battery under the window,
- The drainage channels of excess water in the glazing unit itself are blocked,
- Manufacturing defects.
And how to get rid of condensation on plastic windows?
What to do if double-glazed windows in the apartment from inside are misting up? To eliminate fogging, you need to know the physics of the phenomenon. In a simplified form, this means that the window itself has nothing to do with it! After all, unfortunately, no one canceled the dew point. Most likely, there is high humidity in the apartment and insulation is somewhere broken. Therefore, the window glass is cooled and the water is condensed. To eliminate the problem, you should probably install new rubber gaskets or improve ventilation.
Why do plastic windows sweat in winter? That is why they sweat, that at high humidity on cold glasses inside the house, dew forms faster. Therefore, moisture in the air of living rooms should be no more than 47-54%. This corresponds to normal humidity for life. But what if this humidity inside the apartment is higher?
The ways to solve this problem are:
- forced ventilation, as with winding through windows, for a quarter of an hour, every day, even in winter,
- improve air permeability by removing flowerpots and other objects from the window sill, which block the path of warm air to the glass,
- the device “air dehumidifier” will help to eliminate the window glasses that have become very steamed from inside the room;
- reducing the number of living plants standing in the room,
- if you block the battery, with some decorations, wooden shields, then all such decorative elements must be removed,
- if the window sill is too wide, then it is necessary to install a ventilation unit in the window sill so that air can flow freely to the window,
- remove the curtains and blinds, so that they do not block the warm air from the radiators or convector,
- if there is no hood over the stove in the house, then it is necessary to put it in and use it with every cooking.
Why do plastic windows sweat in the fall and spring?
The reason for this may be the contamination of the window glass from inside the house. And in order to avoid this, it is necessary to do so that, in addition to sufficient ventilation, the glasses themselves are clean and dry.
Another reason for the appearance of water droplets can be clogged drainage in the windows themselves. Inside each plastic window has a number of channels to drain the water accumulating inside it. Drainage channels are located at the bottom of the frame "from the street", and can be easily detected if you open the sash. In order not to accumulate condensate on the glass in the apartment. It is necessary to monitor the passability of these channels, and at times to clean or do their blowing from the dirt inside.
But if the glass from the inside of the glass unit is heavily covered with “dew” on almost the entire surface and this does not disappear with the onset of stable heat and the bright sun that shines directly into the windows, then nothing can be done about it. The reason for this is in the factory marriage, or it is poor-quality materials sealants of the glass itself. What to do? To fix this, you need a deep repair or replace all the bad windows. In any case, all this will only contribute to the destruction of the entire structure of the metal-plastic window.
Therefore, if your windows "cry" and "sweat", they can and should be helped! So, following the above simple recommendations, you can either significantly reduce, or even remove misting in plastic windows.
Why do plastic windows sweat? This question can often be heard from owners of high-quality PVC windows. They are surprised by the incomprehensible occurrence of fluid on the surface of the window, and this is ordinary condensate. In this article, we will try to convey to you what kind of “condensate” is behind the phenomenon and how to resist it.
Most often, condensation on the surface of a glass unit occurs in certain situations. This can occur exclusively in the morning. Approximately from eight to ten hours. There are also cases when the windows mist over in the winter cold. It also happens that there is no condensation in all the rooms on the windows, and in one room it is always present. Cases when water accumulates on the window sill are not rare.
If windows sweat, how does it look?
There is such a tendency that most often PVC windows sweat from bottom to top with a slight congestion around the edges. Fogging looks like a huge number of small-small droplets, which, connecting with each other, form large drops. Large droplets formed over the surface of the glass flow down. Sometimes they can fall on the sill of a plastic window. This usually leads to the formation of a small water puddle on it.
What to do if your plastic windows sweat?
Most often, people who encounter such a problem complain to the company in which they purchased PVC windows. They believe that they did not sell high-quality goods or mistakes were made when installing windows. The main argument is that with the old windows this has never happened. And to explain to the client that this is not the fault of the company is quite problematic. Although in fact, due to the fault of companies, this happens only from two to five percent of all cases. In all other cases, most often blame certain factors, and sometimes a combination of several of them provoke the occurrence of condensate.
Having figured out where the condensate is coming from, we will understand why plastic windows are sweating. Condensate is a liquid that appears on the surface of a plastic window. This process itself is the transformation of water and the state of steam into a liquid state. The lower the temperature of the side of the glass unit that is in the room, the higher the probability of condensation on the glass surface.
The level of humidity in the room can also cause the window to sweat.
In science, physics, there is such a thing as a dew point. Dew in the morning occurs because the air around it warms faster than the air that is near the grass and there comes a time when the temperature near the grass reaches the so-called “dew point”. It turns out that water vapor on the grass settles, and thereby drops are formed. PVC windows sweat by the same nature.
Often the question arises: why the previous windows did not mist over, and new ones mist over? The reason is that the windows set back in the Soviet era have a large gap between the panes that are in the frames. Due to this, the glass located on the side of the room has a temperature higher than the glass in the glass unit, especially single-chamber. But this does not mean that the Soviet windows kept heat better. There are a number of reasons why plastic windows sweat. Below we consider them and give practical advice on how to eliminate them.
The second reason - the sill is blocked battery
A battery that is covered by a window sill disrupts the normal circulation of warm air. Therefore, the window is not properly heated. To eliminate this problem, it is necessary either to reduce the depth of the sill, or to remove the battery. Do not exclude the option of any alternative to the battery, which would heat the glass.
The third reason is poor room ventilation.
The ventilation grilles may be clogged with dust, which prevents them from drawing in moist air, and it remains in the room. To solve this problem, you need to clean or replace the grill. If everything is in order with them, then it is worth looking at whether the ventilation pipe itself is in order.
Flowers on the windows can also cause the windows to mist as they release liquid. This liquid is deposited on the surface of the glass, and as a result condensation occurs. This problem is solved very simply - it is enough to remove flowers from the window sill.
The fifth reason - a room less than ten minutes a day is ventilated.
Without looking at what your windows, the room must be aired. Micro-airing mode has been specially created for this purpose, so use it.
Often misted plastic windows located in the kitchen. The reason for this is that there is usually the highest humidity in this room. All because of the processes that occur in the kitchen. Therefore, we strongly advise you when choosing a glass unit for the kitchen to give preference to a two-chamber glass unit.
Rarely, but it happens that plastic windows sweat because of mistakes that were made during installation. Then all the blame is on the company that did it and did it in bad faith. Such errors can be poor-quality installation of windows or improper installation of slopes. Because of this, blowing occurs, which lower the temperature of the glass unit. As a result, the windows mist over. To solve this problem, it is necessary to eliminate the source of cold air.
Why does condensation form on windows?
It is believed that misted plastic windows in the apartment is the norm. But, should windows sweat? No, and if such a physical phenomenon occurs regularly, it is necessary to find this cause and eliminate it. It is easiest, of course, to blame the firm that produced the windows and installed it. But often glasses cry by their mistake in only 5% of all cases. And in other cases, the reason is obvious and removable. If there were no dents or cracks when buying windows on them, then you shouldn’t blame them.
You can do the following test: if windows most often flow in the winter, only in the kitchen and in the morning, then you should look for the root of window tears not in the windows themselves or in installers who installed them, but in something else.
Why do plastic windows sweat a lot?
Because of the savings were purchased single-chamber windows without energy saving function. With two-chamber designs, as a rule, this does not happen.
Another reason why plastic windows sweat and flow - the battery is blocked by a window sill that protrudes above it, thereby preventing the correct circulation of warm air. This problem is solved by reducing the window sill or moving the heater to another location. After this elimination, the house will become much warmer, so 2 problems will be solved.
Why do they sweat in a private house?
Non-working ventilation is the reason why condensation forms on plastic windows. The task of ventilation is to remove humid air from the room, and if it is completely absent, then all this humidity will settle on the glass. To fix this problem, you need to check whether there is a blockage in the ventilation or install it.
Plastic windows can sweat due to the fact that there are indoor plants on the windowsill. Flowers moisten the air, and this moisture rises on the windows.
And one more problem is serious errors during package installation. Mounting as a double-glazed window itself could have been incorrectly made, and perhaps the slopes were made not from heat-insulating material. The installed window may be in contact with a cold wall. As a result of such errors, one side of the window cools down and the other side mists up.
Why in the apartment even the best double-glazed windows are misted?
Unfortunately, even high-quality and expensive windows can begin to "cry." Plastic windows are sealed and therefore do not let the cold from the street - this is a plus, because the house is warm. But, if you do not ventilate or install special ventilation in the double-glazed window frame, during the cold season the windows will sweat, this is a minus. Sealed windows without ventilation will create a non-healthy atmosphere - flowers and people may start to hurt.
Why do plastic windows sweat in wooden houses?
Again, one of the main reasons is the lack of ventilation, which is often not provided in wooden houses. For some reason, the construction is not planned ventilation system based on natural breathable material. In such houses without ventilation, humidity reaches 70% and naturally it will settle on the windows. It is enough to cut the electrical ventilation into the wall by the window so that the moisture goes outside.
Another reason why the windows in the house are sweating in the winter is stove heating. When heated with wood, the house heats up after cooling, and this in turn creates condensation. And the house is not fully warmed up, but only next to the stove, and the walls remain cold.
What are the consequences if plastic windows are sweating from the inside
Condensate may appear not only on the outside of the glass, but also from the inside. And this is a serious problem - it is not possible to wipe away moisture, and in the bitter cold it turns into ice. The most common cause of this problem is the quality of the glass unit itself. Therefore it is better to replace the entire glass unit. If there are no funds for a full replacement, you can replace only the glass.
If you leave this problem without a solution, there will be unpleasant consequences, both for the home and for the person himself. One of the problems is frost on the glass during the cold season. Due to the low temperatures outside and high inside, humidity will form and the window will “overgrow” with ice. Because of this, the room becomes not only humid, but also very cold. And after the thaw, all the moisture that had time to soak into the walls, blooms, and this is a very serious problem.
So, before you solve the problem, you should summarize:
The reasons why plastic windows sweat a lot:
- low-quality double-glazed window,
- improper installation during installation,
- poor ventilation
- Incorrectly installed batteries
- indoor flowers on the windowsill.
So, having understood the reasons why plastic windows sweat a lot. Now you can elaborate on what can be done in this situation.
What if plastic windows sweat a lot?
There are two ways to find out if ventilation is a problem. It is necessary to bring a lighted candle or a lighter to the ventilation hole, if the flame is deflected, then there is a draft. Or you can take a sheet of paper and lean against the hole. If the paper sucked, then there is also traction, if the sheet does not hold, then there is no traction. To clean the ventilation, it is sometimes sufficient to clean the grille, which accumulates grease and dust that impede the flow of air. If the problem is inside the ventilation duct, then call the service house, they quickly eliminate the blockage.
If the batteries are installed under the window sill, the window sill is cut, if this is not possible, they are rearranged. To do this, call the plumber, who will move them to another place in one day.
To find out whether the slopes may be the reason why the double-glazed windows in the apartment sweat, you need to see what they are made of. If it is just plastered and plastered slopes, then it is worth redoing them to plasterboard. The fact is that drywall is a very good heat insulator. The slopes of this material will be warm, and therefore there will be no sharp temperature drop at the window.
Also, if a wall that goes outside occupies a large area, it should also be warmed, perhaps this is the reason why plastic windows sweat in winter. Warming can be done outside or inside, it all depends on the material that will be used for this.
If, nevertheless, none of the reasons were discovered, then the problem is in the quality of the glass unit or its installation. To solve this problem, just call the installation wizard, who will look at the windows and repair it.
What to do and how to get rid of fogging windows of folk remedies?
Windows mist over a large amount of moisture, so you need to get rid of it. When cooking it is necessary to use the hood, then the excess moisture from the evaporation of water immediately goes into the ventilation and does not settle on the glass. You should always monitor the kettle so that it does not boil for a long time and does not emit steam.
Another way that you can do when plastic windows are sweating heavily. Direct the fan to the glass, and they quickly dry. Or a simpler, more economical and romantic way to warm the glass - put a couple of candles on the windowsill. Candles will not only dry the glass, but will also emit carbon dioxide, which plants like.
Even when plastic windows are sweating and flowing, a chemical solution can be made from automotive aerosols. At the beginning of the window wash, and then apply the tool. This should be done only with gloves and a respirator on the face.
You can independently make convection screens that direct the flow of warm air from the battery to the windows. To do this, they are fixed at an angle towards the window. Such screens can be disguised as beautiful elements of decor.
Something else can be done when windows in an apartment are sweating. As they say, the main defense is an attack, so cold windows can be turned into a heating element. To do this, around the perimeter of the glass is glued foil, or nichrome thread, or conductive film. All this is sold in any hardware stores or markets. After that, it is given a voltage of 24 volts.
Не стоит воспринимать запотевшие окна, как норму. Чрезмерная влажность в доме может плохо сказаться на здоровье всех его обитателей. Поэтому стоит уделить немного времени этой проблеме, и она обязательно решится.
Оптимизация уровня влажности
Как было сказано выше, такое явление можно устранить обеспечением нормального вентилирования комнат. However, if this does not help, then you can mount the moisture-absorbing devices under the sill. Such cartridges are inexpensive and cost effective..
Recently carried out repairs can contribute to increasing the humidity in the room. A large area of plastered surfaces evaporates a huge amount of moisture with which ventilation cannot cope. This is a temporary phenomenon and as the walls dry out, the humidity level normalizes.
As a rule, these are the main reasons why windows cry in winter. When they are eliminated, the situation will normalize and there will be no problems with fogging.