Yesterday, when I was riding my bike home, PPS-nicks asked me to stop. Since there are no sins behind me, I did what they asked with a clear conscience. The reason for the stop was checking my bike, stolen or not. For my pile of iron, I was 100% calm, so I showed. It turned out that the bikes are checked not only in appearance, but by the number on the frame. I did not know this at all (and judging by the announcements about the theft of bicycles, many owners also do not know about it). After talking with the police, I learned that they form their base for finding bicycles and that they are still looking for them, although not always successfully. Also in general told how to protect themselves from theft.
When I got home, I decided to read more about bike hijackings and I found the next site that is involved in finding lostbike.ru. There I found some rules:
When buying a bicycle, you should be issued a passport, where the serial number of the frame is recorded, see that it was entered there correctly and it was he who wrote it, and not the lot number in general. Keep all documents on the bike. Immediately take photos of the serial number of the frame, fork and the appearance of the bike and add them to your phone or make a phone. As the appearance changes, take photos as well - they can help you in your search.
Never leave your bike unattended. Do not leave the same open car with the keys in the parking lot in front of the store. This is rule number 1.
If it so happened that you need to move away not for a long time, for example, to the store and there is no visual contact with the bike, then fasten the bike and better to two locks through the wheels, the frame, the saddle. Additionally, you can use the vibration sensor. As an option, a lock with a vibration sensor. Do not leave a pump, flask, GPS, computer on it - abut.
Never fasten your bike for a long time, on the street, in the stairwell, in the common corridor, etc. because a cable can have a bite, open a lock with a master key, or break a lock or saw through what you fasten it to (I will not reveal technical details, an elementary snack is as thick as a thumb and not with a 2-meter bolt cutter; A thief can pass by several times and already know which tool he needs, so do not fasten a bicycle in the same place at the same time, choose different places.
Even in the woods on vacation, put a bike in a tent in the "hallway" at night, fasten it to a tree if you don’t want to carry bags on yourself figs knows where. Do not be naive, thinking that apart from you there is no one there.
Fasten the bike at home and in the garage, ordinary locks will not stop the robber. Rod only go. It is better to keep at home and not in the garage. most of the day there is someone there, especially in the dark.
As an option, you can not wash the bike, but not all of it will stop.
I will not write about “robbery” and “give a ride”, you are smart people and you yourself know how to protect yourself from this.
Do not rely heavily on GPS electronics, vibration sensors, etc., they have not yet reached the level of automotive reliability and may refuse at the most inopportune moment.
Well, the picture itself with places where the number of your bike can be knocked out. If suddenly (do not let Cthulhu, of course) you have a great stolen, then in addition to external signs and photos, specify his number, this way will help prove that it is your bike.
1. Choose the right parking space.
The ideal option is to keep the bike in the hallway, on the loggia or near the workplace. Only in these cases you can not worry about its safety. If for any reason you need to leave the bike in other places, their choice should be approached with special care.
Here is a list of places where you do not need to park:
- crowded sidewalks in the city center,
- lively embankments
- sites near metro stations
- deserted courtyards
- deserted alleys.
Most often, bicycles are stolen in crowded places, but leaving personal vehicles on a deserted street is also risky. Here we must observe the golden mean: park your bike where there are always people, but there are not very many of them.
Leaving your bike in a special parking lot near a shopping center, cinema, restaurant or other public place, look at how often other cyclists use it. Cases of thefts from bicycle parking are not rare.
2. Never leave a bike unfastened.
This seemingly simple condition for the happy use of a bicycle is performed by no means all.
Agree, the owner of the car does not leave the car open in the parking lot, even if he needs to walk just a few minutes. So the owner of the bike should make it a rule: if you want to leave a two-wheeled friend on the street, he should be fastened. There can be no exceptions.
3. Use a reliable bicycle lock.
Today there are many types of bicycle locks, but not all of them are equally reliable. Most cyclists use inexpensive and fairly thin cables with a key or combination lock, but this cable is easy to eat - this lock does not provide an adequate level of security. The cable should be used as an additional protection, but not as the main one.
More suitable option - the chain lock. And although the chain weighs more than the cable (on average, a chain up to 1 m long weighs more than 1 kg), it is rather difficult to saw through or cut it without attracting attention.
Where to get it
- Chain bicycle lock with ABUS Web code, 999 rubles →
- Chain bicycle lock with code Tonyon, 887 rubles →
- Chain bicycle Bluetooth-lock with alarm, 2,083 rubles →
Chain alternative - U-shaped lock. It is not very convenient to carry it with you, but you can always find a way out of the situation. For example, there are folding versions of the U-shaped lock, which consist of steel plates. These plates are easy to fold, and this lock does not take up much space.
4. Fasten the bike in two pieces.
Buying reliable locks is still half the battle. It is important to properly fasten the bike, leaving it in the parking lot. Thus, the chain can be attached to the frame, and the cable lock - wheel. To steal a bicycle, which is cunningly fastened, is more difficult, and not all thieves will want to bother with it.
5. Install bicycle alarm
Audible alarm with a remote control works on the principle of a car: the sensor responds to vibration or touch, an acoustic signal sounds, and you can prevent theft.
A more advanced version is feedback cycling. An alert comes to your smartphone, which is especially convenient.
6. Set the lowest gear
This method is not basic, but is suitable as an additional one. Even if a thief steals your bike, he will not be able to quickly escape from the crime scene: it is not so easy to figure out how to change gears. If you are nearby, you will have time to catch up with the attacker.
7. Decorate your bike
“The more conspicuous the bike, the easier it is to find it, it’s better not to get involved,” the person who trades bicycles thinks like this. So do not be lazy to give your favorite vehicle of individuality. You can paint the frame, attach LEDs to the wheels or decorate the steering wheel. The main thing is that the bike is different from all the others and attract attention.
8. Do not give a bike to strangers.
We were taught in childhood not to talk to strangers and not to give them any personal items. A similar rule applies in adulthood. It happens that a stranger comes up and starts praising the bike, and then asks for a little ride. The owner, having listened to good reviews, goes to meet - and becomes a victim. So, keep your ears open when a stranger starts talking to you about the bike, and don't give in to provocations.
9. Remove the chain, leaving the bike for a long time.
This method is useful if you need to leave the bike in the parking lot for a long time: without a chain, it just will not work out. In order to remove the chain, one must have the necessary tools at hand and possess certain skill.
So, you read everything and want to take real action to protect your bike from theft? Fine. Well, in order not to forget anything, we offer the most important of the above in the form of a short list.
- Leave a bike where there are always people, but not very many.
- Do not be lazy to fasten the bike, even if you need to go only half a minute.
- Use a reliable bicycle lock, and preferably two or more.
- Remember: the unusual the bike, the harder it is to sell. Therefore, you can paint the frame, decorate the wheels, arrange the steering wheel and other details.
- Remove the chain, leaving the bike in the parking lot for a long time.
- Do not give a bicycle to strangers: thieves are often rubbed into trust, they will get a bicycle by cunning and leave on it.
If you know alternative ways to protect your bike from theft, share them in the comments.
We will not be stolen (15 rules to protect the bike from theft)
Today we touch on an unpleasant, but important topic. We will talk about stealing bicycles. It doesn't matter if you just bought a bike or ride for many years: every cyclist can become a victim of easy money lovers. Unfortunately, there are a lot of scum around us, and they may well be nearby, even if you left led less than a minute from the store or the entrance. In order not to lose the beloved iron horse and not to give the thieves a reason for joy that they have “shod” the next “terpila”, we offer to wind the following simple rules:
Rule number 1. Always fasten your bike to the lock! Even if you leave for 30 seconds, better insure. Take a bicycle lock in all pokatushki in which there is a chance that you will need to leave the transport unattended (no matter how short the time).
Rule number 2. Check whether the support to which you attached the bicycle lock is secure, whether this support can be lifted, bent or otherwise pulled out the bike without opening the lock.
Rule number 3. Do not fasten the bike by the wheels or the saddle, only by the frame! Otherwise you risk returning to see a wheel or steering wheel fastened on the pavement, and the rest of the bicycle is gone! In order not to screw the wheels, it would be good to protect them too.
Rule number 4. Do not disregard the bike in especially crowded places where almost criminal elements almost certainly stick around: we are talking about train stations, markets, metro stations, etc.
Rule number 5. If you keep driving in the common hallway on the floor, still fasten it. Consider whether you can vouch for all the guests of your neighbors and people who just happen to be on the floor.
Rule number 6. If circumstances force you to leave the bike for a longer time (for example, a few hours), then it is better to be safe and fasten it with 2 or even 3 locks. But in any case, do not leave the bike on the street at night! In the dark and deserted intruders will have enough time to open at least 10 locks.
Rule number 7. If you are driving a mass drive, and there are a lot of unfamiliar cyclists around, keep your ears open too, and the bike is beside you. In the case of absence, ask someone of your friends to guard the bike.
Rule number 8. Do not rely on wheels alone fastened by a bicycle lock: you cannot ride a bike like this, but you can just carry it away.
Rule number 9. Do not even leave valuable accessories on a securely fastened bike: for example, cycling computers, bags for frames or good pumps. With a trifle like calls, in principle, you can not stand on ceremony.
Rule number 10. Before leaving the bike unattended in front of the store or office, try to gain impudence and go along with the bike inside. They will not be allowed, they will not allow it, but there is a chance that the bike can be left in the room under the supervision of security and personnel.
Rule number 11. If it is possible to leave the bike in a guarded parking lot, it is better not to neglect it. If not, you can ask the guards of the nearest store, cafe, club, etc. look after him until you return.
Rule number 12. Do not let strangers "just ride" and "evaluate the brakes / shock absorbers / other." Scammers can start telling sentimental stories about a missing dog, a distant store and a tucked leg. It is advisable to send such people with a forest and not to give a bicycle, if only there is no full confidence that the situation is really serious.
Rule number 13. Be careful in places where there are few people, but there are drunken companies or other aggressive personalities. God saves man, who save himself.
Rule number 14. In a bike ride at night, it’s worth not only to fasten several locks to reliable trunks or bogs, but also to tie to something resonant and noisy, to secure with additional ropes, to hang them up with rags and to disguise everything in general. At the same time and protection from the rain.
Rule number 15. Under the carriage knot of the bicycle, an individual frame number is stamped, it is also registered in your warranty purchase certificate. It is advisable to rewrite it to yourself, in case the bike is still stolen and you accidentally recognize it on the street or from the new owner. Here the documents are very useful.
If you still hijacked ...
• Call the police. We understand that a step is absolutely useless in terms of the fact that no one will look for loss. However, if you stumble on your stolen bike yourself (for example, after resale), it will be easier to return your property legally, having a copy of the application on hand.
• If you live in a small city, immediately share the trouble with all the familiar riders, local bicycle sellers, and also upload great photos on the city cycle forum asking for help to find the stolen property. It quite often helps.
• Well, if there is no hope left, and the bike is permanently transferred to the service of other people, do not lose heart. In the end, buy a new one, even better than before! Everything will be fine!
Ways to protect
In general, there are two types of anti-theft protection:
Active protection is tools that directly prevent theft. These include all kinds of locks, cables and chains. Passive protection can be called actions and mechanisms that are included after the hijacking has been committed. They allow you to return the bike in the hands of the rightful owner or to pay damages. Passive methods include insurance and self-entry of bicycle data into the database.
Another security tool is the alarm.
It can be partially attributed to both active and passive protection.
Although she is not actively fixing the bike, her actuation can prevent theft and scare off the thief.
Locks, cables and chains
The most common method of protection against theft of a bicycle are metal cables.
They are popular for their light weight and low cost. Some cables may have a length of 1.5-2 meters, which will allow to wind it around the frame and between the wheels.
This is the most reliable way to lock the locks, because sometimes thieves remove the wheels and take away the elements that are not secured with locks.
But this method of protection is not the most reliable, and if you purchased a cheap Chinese cable, you can eat it with ordinary household nippers.
Therefore, it is advisable to use the cables in crowded places, where the thief who is cutting the rope will immediately be noticed by others. In addition, purchase only reliable cables from reputable manufacturers.
More durable protection option bikes are chains and U-shaped locks.
However, due to their massiveness and severity, they did not become so popular.
These items are almost impossible to eat or cut, and they will not take scrap. But each of them has a flaw.
The U-shaped lock does not allow the bike to be attached to a tree or pole.
For fixing the unit requires a fence or a special bicycle parking. Similar minus and chains.
To capture larger objects, you will need a chain of 1.5–2 meters in length, and not everyone agrees to carry an extra pair of kilograms with them all the time. Therefore, cyclists make their choice.
In addition to locks, chains and cables, there are also wheel locks that are threaded into the rim between the spokes and fix the wheel.
Scrolling, the lock rests on the fork and does not allow the rim to rotate.
Compact and convenient device.
But it is important to remember that a thief can simply take away your property and for this he does not have to pedal.
More interesting option. The miniature device is usually mounted on the seatpost.
When vibrations, a special sensor is triggered, and the device makes a piercing loud sound that attracts attention and scares the thief, and you are notified on your smartphone.
The last function is not available in all versions. Convenient, but not always effective.
For example, if you parked your bike in a deserted place, no one will be alarmed by alarms, and daring thieves will not hesitate to hijack it with a working alarm during rush hour on the square of the metropolis.
In addition, a device that makes sounds can be quite easily removed and left without it.
The downside is the high cost of the device. Ставить его имеет смысл на дорогие велосипеды.
Немного о пассивной защите
Как говорилось выше, к ней относится страховка и внесение в базу.
Поскольку баз велосипедов на государственном уровне нет, некоторые группы велосипедистов создают свои базы, куда можно внести данные о байке, включая серийный номер.
Если его украдут, с помощью данных в базе потерянный агрегат отыщут быстрее.
In addition to remedies, there are general tips to help prevent theft. In a well-known proverb it says: a prudent person sees trouble and takes refuge.
Therefore, it is possible to foresee such situations and not give a reason for theft. For example, do not leave your iron horse in a deserted place, especially in the evening.
Remember that the brighter and more unusual your bike, the less likely it is to steal, because it is harder to hide or sell.
Even if the bike is securely fixed, hooligans can steal equipment. Therefore, leaving the bike unattended, take the lights, bike computers, flasks, pumps and other devices.
When planning to park the unit on the bicycle parking at shopping centers, make sure that it gets into the lens of video surveillance cameras.
This can frighten the thief, and in the case of theft - to identify him.
Some cyclists, planning to leave the bike unattended, remove the chain from it so that the thief cannot leave. In combination with an alarm, this method is very effective.
Even if the thief damages or removes the alarm from the frame, he will not leave without a chain.
And thanks to the sound of a siren, you can learn about trying to steal your property and catch up with the thief.
Another way to protect against theft can serve as a GPS tracker, which you can read about in this article.
Buying anti-theft tools, choose only high-quality devices. It will be very annoying if you save a few hundred on a cable, you lose an expensive bike.
Take care of your iron horse and do not let a thief get close to your property. Pleasant pokatushek!
Video about the means to protect the bike from theft:
Do not save on the lock - the bicycle is more expensive
Most of the anti-theft cables on AliExpress and other similar resources do not have the necessary characteristics for reliable protection. They are easy to cut with a bolt cutter from the nearest hardware store. It is quite compact and costs about 15 rubles - a small fee for such an "assistant".
When planning to leave your iron horse in an unguarded parking lot, equip it with a red-hot chain with a lock or a U-lock. To protect the bike from theft, it is necessary to cover both the wheel and the frame.
Choosing a hot chain, you should pay special attention to the places where it touches the frame, where the paint will quickly wear off. These areas can be protected with scotch tape with reinforcement or pack a chain in a bicycle bag or backpack during movement.
Pay attention to the locks with the brake disc locking: choose the one that can not be simply opened with a screwdriver.
Masking and defensive tactics
There is a common practice - to mask a new vehicle under the old and dilapidated, inflicting various "injuries": chips, rust, windshield cracks and similar "designer" chips. We do not in any way urge to cripple your bike. There are more benign options:
- Select the outwardly ordinary bike and “fill” it to your taste. It will not protect against a professional thief, but you will most likely avoid many random thefts. It is unlikely that a spontaneous hijacker will carefully examine how cool your plug and switches are.
- Immediately repaint the bike in a striking atypical color scheme, painting over or changing the brand designations. Such a sensible thing to steal is too risky. Although those who sell stolen parts, it is not too confusing.
- Do not leave your two-wheeled friend without company. When there is a choice, the hijacker will certainly prefer the least protected technique. Therefore, a combination of a red-hot chain or U-lock on your model with bicycles tied up with fragile cables standing next to you is an excellent tactic to protect your bike from theft.
Do not tempt the thief with removable parts
Do not hope for the sentimental feelings of the hijacker, leaving the bike with a child seat unprotected. On the contrary, the chair can serve as additional motivation, as another item for sale. Thanks to a convenient and quick disassembly, the seat can be stolen separately by removing it from the frame. If possible, you should take such devices with you.
Modern bikes are equipped with seats that are removed in two touches. Do not expect that the thief will be too lazy to make these simple manipulations. It is better to remove the seat from a strapped bike yourself and deprive a potential hijacker of the confidence that he will leave unnoticed on your bike. Such a rider will cause many questions to others and to find him without delay will be easy.
Do not make the entrance a permanent parking place. Expensive equipment left for a long time unattended in the same place will surely sooner or later attract criminal attention. It is safer to use various ways of accommodation in the apartment.
In most cases, thieves act on several basic schemes:
- Snack locks or weak chains with bolt cutters or powerful nippers.
- They open simple locks with keys in the same way as they do on the doors of apartments - master keys.
- They knock weak locks with milk from a rope. There is a view of the attachment of the cable to the castle part.
If it takes more than one or two minutes to hijack a bike, the thief will most likely not contact your bike anymore.
Theft of a bicycle is a poorly disclosed crime that brings a good income to the bikers and makes up about a third of all crimes against private property. According to police in many countries, most stolen bicycles are sold as used in markets or on the Internet, and sometimes for parts. In the United States, about 50% of stolen bicycles are sold over the Internet, and another 30% right on the street.
Who are the most likely cyclists? In addition to the professionals that ordinary castles will not stop, these are mostly petty thieves, homeless people, drug addicts and teenagers who dream of just driving a cool bike. What is their motivation? Resell cheap or go and quit.
Hence the conclusion - not all of them possess the skills of opening key locks or combination locks. Although the Internet is full of different videos on how to open different locks, but to see and do it yourself is a little different things.
But they can use simple and decisive methods such as not a big bolt cutter, a hammer or powerful nippers.
The best way to protect a bike is to not leave it unattended.. But it is clear that this is not always possible. A very good way out is to drive a company, or at least together, so that one of your friends always remains with the bike.
Bicycle locks come in several forms:
- Arc (they are also called U-shaped or D-shaped). Such a lock, especially if the arc is of normal thickness (not less than 10-12 mm) and is made of hardened steel, you can’t just have a bite with bolt cutters. These are the most reliable locks.
It is similar to the previous type, but instead of an arc, steel plates are strongly fastened together. For resistance as one of the most reliable. Especially if they are made of thick steel hardened plates. Pay attention to the mounting plate between them.
On some cheap Chinese models, such a lock was easy to break just in the place where the plates were attached to each other. These locks are smaller than U-shaped locks and take up less space on the trip. Most often, they are folded into a rectangle and attached to the frame, taking up minimal space.
It is also a fairly reliable option, but only if it is a strong thick chain, each link of which is welded. If you take a thick steel chain, put it in a cloth sleeve so as not to scratch the frame, and hang a normal barn lock on it, then such a homemade bicycle lock will reliably protect the bike from theft. Only the weight he will not have 200 grams that you want to carry with him.
When choosing chains, it is better not to take a regular chain from a hardware store, but cargo chains with a thick link made of hardened steel.
It is quite a comfortable, easy lock. But, again, much depends on the thickness of the cable and the material from which it is made, as well as in all other cases, from the larva of the castle. How strong and anti-vandal.
Remember that thin cable elementary snack bolt cutter.
Bike lock type Ottolock.
Their peculiarity is that they are durable, flexible and take up little space, perfectly fitting in a bicycle bag or even in a pocket.
The lock tape itself consists of several thin but durable steel plates coated with a layer of Kevlar braid made of Santoprene thermoplastic. Bite boltorez such tape is very difficult, but against the grinder and it will not stand. In order to break the head of the lock you need to make an effort of 2 tons.
These are quite comfortable and reliable bicycle locks.
These devices come in various forms. Some simply put on the wheel, put on the rotors of disc brakes, attach the wheel to the frame, but they all have one serious drawback. They do not allow you to just carry a bicycle in your hand or take it away by car.
By type of locking device, bicycle locks are of two kinds.
- Full construction
- With code block.
Here everyone decides for himself that it is easier for him to remember the code or to carry the key with him. There are ways to open both locks. Key locks open master keys, and codes just pick up. If you choose code, then take at least four digits.
Definitely answer the question which bicycle lock is better and safer. Each of all types has its pros and cons. The code can be forgotten, and the key can be lost, the cable can be eaten, and the arc can be cut with a “grinder”. There is no lockable lock. A question in time which for this purpose is necessary. In the end, there were cases when the fence was broken and the bike was taken away by car. One thief sawed a tree for five hours to steal a bicycle.
Tips how to better protect your bike from theft:
- It is best to leave the bike under the supervision of a friend - it is always safer than any lock.
- When chaining a bike, check the rack to which it clings so that it is securely fastened, and indeed it is able to hold the bike attached to it.
- Always fasten your bike, even if "for a moment" jumped into the store. According to police statistics, just such a bicycles left "for a second" are the most often stolen. The thief just goes to sit down and leave. No one even responds to this. Maybe this is exactly the right owner of the bike.
- If the front wheel is on eccentrics - remove it, put it near the rear wheel and fasten it with a lock, preferably with a U-shaped, front, rear wheel, frame and attach everything to a fixed pole or fence. Front wheels on eccentrics removed quickly and easily.
- If possible, use two types of locks. One on the cable and one U-shaped or on the cable and chain. A lock on the cable can twist several parts of the bike between each other (wheels, frame, saddle), and attach the bike to a fixed object with a chain or U-shaped. One code, the other with the keys. Remove one zamoy easier than two different. Moreover, the cable is easier to eat than a chain or a sweetheart of red-hot metal U-shaped lock.
- If you use the parking lot, do not put your iron horse extreme. Thieves most often try to steal the extreme ones, since they have easier access to them. Try to squeeze your own between others.
- The use of bicycle eccentrics, especially on wheels and seatposts, facilitates their theft. Although there are special anti-vandal eccentrics. Keep this in mind. If you do not use eccentrics, tighten the bolts on the axles of the wheels very tight. This is useful for both driving safety and anti-theft event. There is another original, but rather complicated to implement idea: order personal nuts and bolts with unique keys. They will be quite difficult to unleash.
- Another unusual and controversial way - do not wash your bike too clean. Some cyclists believe that dirty bicycles are stolen less frequently. True, to drive it all the same to you, and how comfortable it will be, the same depends on you.
- There is another original way. Just leaving the bike and attaching it with a good lock, remove the saddle and take it with you. To steal a bike without a saddle is somewhat problematic - you cannot go anywhere on it, and selling it bareback is more difficult. If the seatpost is attached by an eccentric, it is easy to remove. And if it is not very long and the saddle is not wide, then carry this kit with you is not too difficult. You can also remove the pedals - without them not much ride. True, they are not always clean, and twist them longer.
- Do not be afraid to look like an eccentric - a barn lock and a strong chain are much more difficult to eat than a thin cable. As mentioned above, when choosing chains, it is better to take not a regular chain from a hardware store, but cargo chains made of thick, hardened steel. In the end, the breeder may simply not have enough time to open these locks and saw through the chain or bolt cut.
- When attaching the bike, fix all easily removable parts - wheels, saddle. Remove expensive accessories - cycling computers, GPS-navigators and other gadgets.
- Write down your frame number. Where on the bike is the serial number of the frame? It is stamped at the bottom of the frame under the sleeve or in front of the steering tube. The frame number of the bike can be in the form of numbers or letters and numbers. This will help prove that the bike is really yours. Best of all, that he was registered in the warranty card when buying in the store. It’s not too bad to have a photo of you with your bike. First, it will be proof that this is your bike, and secondly, the police will clearly see what to look for and she, “leaving all the cases, will immediately announce the plan to intercept for searches” of your iron friend.
- There is another little trick. Put inside the steering wheel, under the grips or inside the seatpost, a piece of paper on which to write down your data. It will serve as additional evidence that you are the real owner. You can also write or scratch your name on it. A marked bike is harder to sell, and it will be easier to prove that it is yours.
- The appearance of the bike does not have to be very challenging. Wind tape tape or part of the frame. The task is to show the potential thief that this bike is not the best option for sale. Sometimes a slightly rusty steering wheel or seatpost dramatically reduces the value of the entire bike.
- By the way, the more original your bike is painted - the harder it will be to sell and quickly identify in case of theft. This, like motorists.
- You can use the bike alarm. With her squeak, she will attract attention and frighten inexperienced thieves. And experienced, realizing that the bike is on the alarm probably will not communicate with it. Signaling is most often triggered by movement.
- Another purely psychological moment. Inside most shops or office centers are not allowed to deliver bicycles. However, "trying not torture" - try to go with him. If not already allowed, at this point, ask the guard to look after the bike. At least, a responsible person already appears and the bicycle is supervised, and this is already good.
- Try to insure your bike against theft, theft and damage.
There are some pretty original solutions for protecting bicycles from theft:
- The Pedal Lock is a set of special pedals that easily turn into a locking rear or front wheel, blocking the possibility of movement. Thus, it turns out that the hijacker does not have not only pedals, but it is also impossible to ride such a bike.
Three former students from Chile have developed a rather non-standard scheme of the bicycle frame, which turns into a lock in 10-15 seconds. The lower frame tube is split into two parts, and the seatpost is fixed in them, allowing you to fasten the bike to a tree or pole.
Seatylock saddle, which is also a castle. A system with several fold places allows you to hold the wheel and frame together, and attach it all to a pole.
Koreans invented the helmet-lock. During the trip, he, of course, on his head, and in the parking lot turns into a lock on the wheel. It is not entirely clear, however, that it would prevent the thief from simply carrying the bicycle with him or taking him away by car if he was not fastened. And the second point - the wheel is not always clean, and after that the helmet will still need to be put on the head. Although the Koreans and the roads wash more often than us ...
- Chinese engineers came up with V.Y. Handle Lock. This is a strong, flexible cable, which during the trip is located in the steering wheel of a bicycle, and in the parking lot it closes on the right grip, which plays the role of a lock. Truth from the bolt cutter, he still will not save.