Filo dough is an ultra-thin sheets of dough, from which you can prepare a lot of delicious desserts and casseroles. Most of the filo pastry recipes came to us from Greece and Turkey, but we also don’t get lost and literally go invent our own “national” dishes from this dough. Whose dishes are tastier? Well, perhaps, no one will be able to answer this question better than you. After all, one way is traditional, the other is the cooking speed, and the third is the originality of the dish (and this we haven’t told about the usefulness). However, regardless of your culinary preferences, we are sure that in the end you will enjoy both the filo pastry and our recipes from it.
In this section, our authors share the most interesting recipes from filo pastry with step-by-step photos and instructions. We will tell and show what can be cooked from filo dough!
Each selection contains from 3 recipes with step by step photos and videos
Filo dough - what is it
Fresh, very finely rolled dough, popular in Mediterranean countries, first began to cook in Greece. Translated from the Greek phyllon means sheet. Indeed, the Greek pastry is so transparent that through it you can easily read a newspaper or browse through the pages of a fashion magazine. In Russia, filo dough is an exhaust. It is much thinner than the usual puff pastry and is often found in the store, frozen in a package of 10 layers.
To make a real filo at home, you have to try. There is an opinion that in Greece every hostess has its own secrets of its preparation and a special secret component. Nevertheless, experienced chefs advise you to use basic instructions and choose the classic composition of filo dough. So, for home cooking you may need:
- wheat flour,
- olive or vegetable oil (no smell),
- eggs or yolks from them,
- a few grams of salt
- apple or wine vinegar.
All ingredients must be combined into a homogeneous elastic mass, and then roll out and pull on a special technology. Sheets should be as thin and transparent as possible. They cook from the dough almost everything that the soul desires, but desserts are the tastiest. Filo pastry is diverse - Austrian strudel, Turkish baklava, Egyptian Gulles, Russian bags with various fillings, pies, casseroles.
Since these layers are very thin, delicate and fragile, then the choice of filling should be approached responsibly. Such baking is prepared very quickly, so they never wrap raw meat or vegetables in pies, pies, rolls. Fillet dough should be prepared in advance, contain a minimum of moisture and fat, because the outgoing fumes can damage the structure of the dough. Ideal for filling: nuts, all varieties of cheese, spinach, roasted meat, chicken, lean fish. You can add cream or custard, apples, cottage cheese to sweet pastries.
Filo dough - recipe at home
There is an opinion that it is impossible to make a filo on your own - it is very capricious, it is constantly torn and sticks to your hands. There is some truth in this, but in practice everything does not look so critical, especially if you take the correct recipe for filo dough at home and be patient. Did not work out the sheets for the first time? Do not despair and throw, over time, the hand will become more confident.
- Cooking time: 60 minutes.
- Servings: 30 pcs.
- Calorie dishes: 219 kcal.
- Purpose: baking.
- Cuisine: European.
- The difficulty of preparation: difficult.
If the complexity of the preparation did not scare you, and your interest prevailed, then try to master this step-by-step recipe of the dough first. The main feature of it is that you need to roll several sheets at once, and in order to prevent them from sticking together, sprinkle each with starch. This method of rolling allows you to achieve the best result, and at the output to get about 30 blanks of large diameter.
- flour - 500 g,
- water - 1 tbsp.,
- egg - 1 pc.,
- salt - 1 tsp,
- sunflower oil - 2 tbsp. l.,
- wine vinegar - 1 tbsp. l.,
- starch - 100 g
- All products, with the exception of starch, mix into a homogeneous mass.
- Beat off the mass on the table for 2-3 minutes, and then wrap a film and clean in the cold.
- In half an hour, take out the blank, separate 3 equal parts.
- Roll each part into a small circle, about 5 cm in diameter, sprinkle with starch and fold into a slide.
- Roll out all three parts at a time into a thin layer, constantly pouring starch.
- Then cover the mass with a clean towel, let it rest at room temperature and start pulling the sheet in different directions.
- The finished product should be up to 2 mm thick.
From Julia Vysotskaya
- Cooking time: 60 minutes.
- Servings: 12 sheets.
- Calorie dishes: 198 kcal.
- Purpose: baking.
- Cuisine: European.
- The difficulty of preparation: difficult.
Filo dough from Julia Vysotsky is prepared using a different recipe technology, but it turns out to be no less delicate and thin. Rolling on a towel is a good culinary technique for beginners. So the mass will not stick to the table, it will be easier to roll, and then pull. Do not be afraid to stretch the dough with your hands, because it is very soft and pliable. The main thing - do not give the test a moment's rest until you achieve the desired result.
- flour - 185 g,
- olive oil - 1 tbsp. l.,
- salt - pinch,
- egg - 1 pc.,
- water - 100 ml.
- Knead by hand or using a kitchen machine a soft and tender dough.
- Shine a ball out of dough, put it in a clean dish, cover with foil and put it in a cold place.
- After half an hour, take out the workpiece and divide it into 2 parts.
- Spread a clean linen towel on the table, lightly sprinkle with flour.
- Put the dough on top and start rolling out with a rolling pin as far as possible.
- Then grasp the edges of the dough with both hands and begin to stretch it in different directions.
- Pull out the sheet to until until it becomes visible pattern towels.
Filo dough recipes
From ultra-thin sheets you can cook a lot of various dishes. Most of the filo pastry recipes have come to us from Turkey, Egypt, Greece, Austria and Germany, one Russian hostesses, too, are not lost and are discovering new approaches to baking. Which: classic or author's dishes get tastier? It is difficult to answer unequivocally, because some value traditions, while others, on the contrary, like experiments. In any case, you will definitely enjoy the cooking process itself and the recipes suggested below with filo dough.
- Cooking time: 60 minutes.
- Servings: 4 persons.
- Calorie dishes: 230 kcal.
- Purpose: for dinner.
- Cuisine: Greek.
- The difficulty of preparation: medium.
This phyllo dough pie with cheese filling is made in Greece, and it bears an intricate name - Tiropita. As a rule, there are several types of cheese: soft and hard, but sometimes yogurt, sour cream, eggs and spinach are added to the filling. The finished dish is cut into squares and served to the table with warm milk or tea. The cake will be tasty in a cold and warm form, it will be a great snack.
- Filo - 300 g,
- onion - 2 pcs.,
- eggs - 3 pcs.,
- Feta cheese - 300 g,
- Adygei cheese - 150 g,
- semolina - 150 g,
- milk - 1 tbsp.,
- olive oil - 100 g
- Onions cut into small cubes, passe in a pan in oil.
- To make a feta filling, mash with a fork, and rub the Adygei cheese on a grater.
- Mix both types of cheese, add semolina to them.
- Put cooled onions in a bowl, mix all ingredients until smooth.
- To fill, beat the eggs with milk, add a pinch of salt to them.
- Put the dough on the bottom of the mold, coating each layer with butter.
- Top evenly distribute the third part of the filling.
- Cover with a sheet of filo, promagte oil.
- By the same principle, make several layers of the cake, at the very end of turning the edges of the dough inside the form.
- Pour over the workpiece egg-milk mixture, clean in the oven.
- Bake greek tirropite for 30 minutes at 190 degrees.
- Cooking time: 50 minutes.
- Servings: 4 persons.
- Calorie dishes: 287 kcal.
- Purpose: dessert.
- Cuisine: European.
- The difficulty of preparation: medium.
Filo dough strudel like to cook Germans, Austrians and Hungarians, the dish became no less popular in Russia. Such baking is shaped into a roll and baked in the oven until very crisp. In the traditional apple strudel stuffing, you can add a teaspoon of vanilla sugar and be sure to put cinnamon. Breadcrumbs in the recipe are used to seal the juice inside the apples, so the roll will never be wet.
- Filo - 3 pcs.,
- apples - 3 pcs.,
- sugar - 150 g,
- Cinnamon - 30 g,
- walnuts - 200 g,
- butter - 50 g,
- lemon - ½ pcs.,
- raisins - 100 g,
- bread crumbs - 3 tbsp. l
- Pour some water into the bowl, squeeze lemon juice there.
- Peeled and cored apples cut into cubes of medium size.
- So that the fruit does not darken during cutting, put the finished pieces in a bowl with water and lemon.
- Then drain the liquid and add the bread crumbs to the apples.
- Crush walnuts with a blender. If desired, they can be slightly fried.
- Together with sugar and cinnamon, add them to the apples.
- Pour a few tablespoons of fresh raisins, mix.
- Thawed dough, lay in layers, each of which is spread with melted butter.
- At the edge of the third sheet lay out a smooth slide filling, wrap the edges and roll the roll.
- To make the edge of the dough stick tight, brush with oil.
- Put the strudel on a baking sheet, cover with the remaining oil and put into the oven.
- Cook roll at 180 degrees for 30 minutes, sprinkle the ready-made dessert with powdered sugar.
- Cooking time: 60 minutes.
- Servings: 6 persons.
- Calorie dishes: 310 kcal.
- Purpose: dessert.
- Cuisine: Walnut.
- The difficulty of preparation: medium.
Still pondering what to make from filo pastry? Then try to make baklava, but not quite normal. In the East, baklava is usually watered with honey, but in this recipe is sugar-lemon syrup. This option will appeal to those who do not like sugary desserts. You can also vary the amount of nut layers to your liking, but, as a rule, they make only one layer.
- Filo - 12 sheets
- walnuts - 1 tbsp.,
- water - 3 tbsp.,
- lemon - ½ pcs.,
- sugar - 2 tbsp.,
- butter - 150 g
- Chop the nuts with a sharp knife or mash with a rolling pin.
- Melt butter in a water bath or microwave oven.
- At the bottom of the form with high sides, put parchment, be sure to carefully grease the baking paper.
- Put a sheet of dough on top, grease it with plenty of oil. The same principle make 5 layers.
- On the sixth layer, pour the nuts. Repeat the procedure again.
- With a sharp long knife, cut the baklava into identical triangles, in the center of each place a half of the nut and pour the remainder of the oil.
- Baked baklava from filo dough should be at 180 ° C for exactly 35 minutes.
- From sugar and water, prepare a thick syrup. Add to it 2 teaspoons of lemon juice and boil for 5-7 minutes.
- Pour the ready-made eastern sweetness with sugar-lemon syrup.
Filo dough dishes - cooking secrets
There may be a lot of similar recipes, but in order to make Philo dough dishes to appetite from one glance at them, it’s worth remembering a few simple tips:
- Dough must be completely defrosted. Even a slightly frozen mass will break in the hands.
- Exhaust dough can dry quickly, therefore, working with one sheet, the other is better to cover with a wet towel.
- You need to roll the layer in one direction and pull it in different directions. It is more convenient to stretch the sheets, holding one edge on the table, and the one that will hang down, pull down.
- Finished sheets can be trimmed with scissors to any shape or pan size.
- If you plan to knead the flour mass by yourself, take the trouble to prepare all the necessary products in advance, because you need to knead everything very quickly: sift the flour, measure out a glass of water and get the eggs from the refrigerator. Only then can you start work.
What does that require:
- sift in a deep dish one and a half cups of flour along with eight grams of baking powder and half a teaspoon of salt,
- make a recess in the hill
- break an egg into a hole and stretch it a little with your hands,
- pour a two-thirds cup of milk and a fourth of a glass of refined butter.
Mix liquid products with flour by hand. Knead the sticky and very soft dough.
It will stick to your hands a lot, but you no longer need to add flour to it, otherwise you will not be able to roll out the dough as thin as you want.
It is more convenient to knead the semi-finished product on a smooth tabletop. You can assemble the stuck pieces with a scraper. After 7–10 minutes of kneading, the dough should still be soft, but it will no longer be so sticky.
Roll a piece into the ball. Remove the flour in a bowl and cover with cling film. Within 30 minutes the dough will rest. During this time, gluten will pick up the desired properties.
We will extend the ball into a short “sausage” and divide the piece into 6 equal parts and give each one a rounded shape. Remove the pieces under the film so that they do not blew.
We proceed to the most important stage - rolling out the dough.
So, how to make filo dough:
- Prepare a mixture of cornstarch and flour. First, take 150 g, the second - two times less. This mixture will pour layers so that they do not stick together.
- Roll the first ball into a not very thin layer about 3 mm thick and set it aside, with plenty of powder starch mixture.
- Similarly, roll out the next ball and lay the second layer on top of the first one.
- Roll out the remaining pieces, put all the layers in a pile, but each layer will be plentifully sprinkled with flour and starch.
- Move the stack closer to you and roll it as thin as possible. You should have a rectangle measuring about 40 × 45 cm.
Now you can separate the layers of dough from each other. Excess flour and starch should be brushed off.
Filo dough dries very quickly. While you are working with one sheet, cover others with a damp towel or cling film.
Filo dough apple strudel
Strudel - a traditional Austrian dessert in the form of a roll, which is prepared from thin layers of dough, wrapped around all kinds of stuffing.
Apple strudel is a classic. To prepare the most delicate delicacy you will need three sheets of dough filo.
Make up the stuffing. Take:
- three fragrant apples,
- half a cup of sugar and raisins,
- a whole glass of walnuts,
- a teaspoon of cinnamon and three tablespoons of breadcrumbs,
- a quarter packs of butter.
The oil must be heated and melted in a water bath. Apples cut into cubes. Grind nuts with a blender. Soak the raisins for 10 minutes in boiling water, drain the water.
Form the cake:
- We coat sheets of dough with oil and fold them on top of each other.
- Mix all the components of the filling.
- We lay out apples with raisins and crackers "sausage" along the smaller side of the layer, 6 - 7 cm receding from both edges.
- Putting the edges of the dough on the filling, roll up the cake with a roll and coat with melted butter.
Send dessert to the oven for half an hour to bake at 180ºС.
Step-by-step baklava recipe
Traditional baklava can be cooked with honey or sugar. We will share the recipe on syrup. This delicacy is less cloying. Filo dough recipes are just for those who like not very sweet desserts.
Stages of cooking dessert,
- We lay six layers of dough on top of each other on a baking sheet, each of them is covered with butter.
- Put the crushed nuts on top of dough.
- We cover them with six sheets of dough, each of which is also oiled.
- We make cuts with a sharp knife, dividing the dessert into diamonds.
- Decorate the pieces with walnut halves and remove the dessert in an oven preheated to 180ºС for 40 minutes.
While the baklava is baked, prepare the syrup. Boil sugar with water over high heat for 20 minutes. We dissolve the resulting composition with lemon juice and leave on the stove for another 5-7 minutes.
Ready dessert pour sweet liquid so that it fell into all the slots. Remove the baklava from the pan after a few hours, when it is completely soaked with sugar syrup.
Cooking meat patties
In Turkey, fillet pastry pies with meat are called berek. Juicy stuffing is prepared from the lamb shoulder. The proportions for this dish are arbitrary.
The meat is ground into mincemeat. Fry in a skillet until cooked together with onions and spices for lamb.
Filo dough is very thin, quickly baked, so raw foods are never wrapped in it.
The filo sheet is folded three times to make a long “walkway”. On the edge of laying a little filling. The dough rises in one corner, dragged over the stuffing. It develops further on the same principle so that the result is a triangular pie.
Filo pastry is smeared with ghee, sprinkled with sesame and comes to a condition in the oven at 170ºС for 30 minutes.
Filo dough pie with cheese
For the pie with cheese will need 400 g of dough.
- 700 g of cheese,
- a cup of sour cream,
- three eggs,
- bunch of greens.
Crumble cheese, chop greens, mix everything with sour cream and whipped eggs.
The cake is laid out in layers: 2 sheets of dough - stuffing, 2 sheets of dough - stuffing and so on. Before smearing the cheese, the dough is smeared with olive oil.
Верхние листы покрывают взбитым яйцом. Пирог пекут при 180ºС в течение 35 минут.
Корзиночки с крабовым мясом
Начинку для корзиночек сделаем из крабовых палочек. Но если у вас есть возможность купить настоящее крабовое мясо – готовьте с ним.
- пачка палочек,
- сыр сливочный – банка, примерно, 70 г,
- mayonnaise spoon,
- greens to taste.
Sticks frozen in the freezer. Then we give them a little to thaw, rub on the track and mix with cheese, mayonnaise and greens.
Put the filo dough squares in the cupcake molds, slightly shifting them relative to each other to make something like a flower. Each basket will require 3-4 layers. Sprinkle all the sheets with olive oil and put a little filling in the middle.
Bake portions in preheated oven until lightly browned.
Kulebyaka with salmon and rice
All ingredients for the fish pie need to be prepared in advance. The proportions are not specified, they can be taken arbitrarily.
For the filling you will need: salmon, chicken eggs, greens, rice porridge. Fish or fillets can be baked whole in the oven or cooked in water, and then you can disassemble and remove all the bones.
Kulebyaku best cooked in deep dishes.
- Lay out 3 sheets of dough on the bottom. All layers must be oiled.
- Level the stuffing from rice porridge, greens and chopped boiled eggs.
- Cover this layer with two sheets of filo and coat with oil.
- Level the layer of minced fish and close the pie with the next three sheets.
- Grease the surface of the cake with whipped yolk and set in a preheated oven. Take out when lightly browned.
Greek spinach and feta pie
Greek Spanokopita pie is prepared from the dough. For its preparation, in addition to feta and spinach, you will also need Ricotta, 4 eggs and an onion.
At the bottom of the ceramic form, lay 6 layers of filo sprinkled with olive oil.
Spread the dough over the filling:
- A pack of feta cheese crumbled with a fork.
- Beat 4 eggs in a bowl, mix with the contents of the Ricotta cheese package.
- Combine all the ingredients, add to them the fried onion fried to golden color.
- The resulting sauce is poured into a bowl of spinach and mixed.
The filling is covered with two more layers of filo. The edges are smeared with yolk and fasten. The surface of the cake is coated with olive oil.
Prepare bake in the oven for about 40 minutes. Before cutting, the cake is allowed to stand for 15 to 20 minutes.
Sweet Bani's Recipe
Banitsa - airy curd cake made from the finest dough. This is a national Bulgarian dish. It is prepared in a round split form. About 400 g of dough is used for the cake.
Making rolls. Lubricate the filo layer with butter. Put a second layer on it. Oil it again. Finely distribute the filling.
- in equal proportions mix cottage cheese and grated cheese (about 400 g each),
- add two eggs,
everything turns into a homogeneous mass.
The dough is wrapped in a thin long roll, which is folded in a "snail" and placed in the middle of the baking dish. Around the first roll laid out in the same way folded other sheets of dough. The contents of the form is poured by pouring from a glass of sour cream, one egg and a tablespoon of sugar.
Pie reaches readiness at 180ºС in 40 minutes.
Pollock baked in filo dough
Filo fish cakes are very light. Pollock (1 kg) must be pre-boiled and freed from bones.
- In the minced fish, add 150 g of grated cheese, cut four boiled eggs and give the filling flavor due to chopped greens.
- Fold filo dough in 7 - 8 layers, each sprinkle with olive oil. Spread the dough on the dough, retreating from the edges by 6 - 7 cm.
- Wrap the edges inwards, covering the filling.
- We roll the dough with a roll, spread it with egg yolk and set to bake at 180ºС. The pie will be cooked in literally 20 minutes.
Triangles with Chicken Onion Filling
- Boil chicken breast in salted water (250 - 300 g).
- In hot oil, fry the chopped finely onion.
- Divide the meat into fibers and place in a frying pan with onions. Fry slightly.
- Three sheets of filo folded one by one and cut along into three thin "tracks". Grease each with oil.
- Put a spoonful of stuffing on the edge. Lift the dough at one corner, covering the minced meat. Continue wrapping the filo around the filling until you have a triangular bun.
- Lay the puffs on the parchment, brush them with chicken yolk and bake at 200ºС for 15 minutes.
Turkish Burek (spinach pie)
For the preparation of burek, special thin ready-made filo dough is used, but instead you can take thin pita bread. Filling can be any. This recipe describes cooking a Turkish pie with spinach filling. It turns out easy snack
section: Turkish cuisine
Chanterelle Strudel with Mashed Potatoes
For the preparation of this strudel used ready-made sheets of filo pastry. For each strudel took 5 sheets, which must be sure to coat with melted butter. The filling is the simplest - mashed potatoes with fried chanterelles. Just and in
Chanterelle and mozzarella strudel
Mushroom filling - one of the most popular in the preparation of rolls from the finished filo dough. In this recipe for strudel with chanterelles and mozzarella cheese describes in detail the sequence of making delicious baking of their thin crisp dough with
Ingredients for strudel with chanterelles are designed for 3 small rolls. Mushroom filling can be prepared in advance (per day), then you will only have to prepare the filo dough for baking and roll up the rolls. To the table strudel with mushrooms can be served and the mountains
Filo dough roll with spicy chicken
Filo dough roll with spicy chicken is better served warm. Before baking, each sheet of filo dough should be richly greased with melted butter. For the roll stuffing, instead of chicken breast, you can take any other parts of the chicken in about the same amount.
section: Austrian cuisine
Eastern sweetness of kunaf (Künefe) from Kadaif dough
Kunaf is an oriental sweet made from dough in the form of thin vermicelli, soaked in honey or sugar syrup. Kunaf is prepared from dough Kadaif or Tel Kadaif (“angel's hair”) - this is the thinnest (less than 1 mm in diameter) noodles, the basis of the most popular recipes
Spinach and Suluguni Strudel
I made the strudel with spinach and suluguni cheese from the finished dough. This roll should be kept in the oven about two times less than if you baked it from the dough. So that a thin crust was a little softer and not crumbled when
Banitsa with cottage cheese and leek in a slow cooker
Banitsa is a national Bulgarian dish. It is made from thinly rolled dough with various fillings. To simplify the recipe instead of homemade thinly rolled cakes, you can use ready-made cakes for banitsa or filo dough.
Spinach and Feta Pie
Spinach and feta pie based on spanakopity. The finished cake can be served both hot and cold. Instead of filo, you can take the finished puff or cook yourself, for example, pseudo-layered dough with vinegar.
section: Greek cuisine
Chicken pastilla (Chicken bastilla (pastilla))
Chicken bastilla pastilla (pastilla) or Moroccan-style chicken and almond pie. With these thinnest sheets of dough, three fillings stand idle at once - egg-onion, meat and nut. The result is a pie, in to
section: Chicken Pies
Baklava with pistachios
Baklava (or baklava) is a cake with nuts and sweet syrup, widely distributed in cuisines of eastern nations. For the filling fit walnuts, pistachios, hazelnuts. In some countries, the baklava filling is made from cottage cheese.
Napoleon with salmon and cream with red caviar
For tartinok fit ready-made puff pastry or filo pastry. Closely cut into small squares, bake until cooked, and stuffed with sour cream with caviar and thin slices of salmon are laid out on top. It turns out gently and tasty, unusually elegant and
For this strudel enough ready-made sheets of filo pastry. The dough is greased with melted butter and sprinkled with breadcrumbs. The filling is prepared from a mixture of feta and ricotta with the addition of finely chopped dill and green onions. Here is such a savory strudel
Recipe banitsy of Philo dough with cheese. Everything is described in great detail: what to do, how to make it, what baking dish to use, what temperature to bake. And even with what Banitsa is better to eat. It remains only to learn how to make filo dough, if
section: Bulgarian cuisine
Apple strudel recipes are many. This one is made from filo pastry filled with sweet and sour juicy apples with honey, sugar and almonds. The finished strudel is served with vanilla sauce.
section: Apple Pies
Philo's dough - what is it and what is it eaten with
The Greeks have many culinary features, and one of them is Filo's Greek pastry. At home, it is called φύλλο, which is written in Latin transcription as Filo or Phyllo. Sometimes in Cyrillic they use spelling with two l: Fillo. Under these names, this Greek product is known worldwide.
So what is Philo's dough and what is it used for? The answers are simple. Philo (Fillo) - fresh exhaust dough, which is rolled out with the thinnest layers of width less than 1 mm. This is a popular culinary ingredient in the cuisine of the Balkan countries, but in each region it is called differently. In Turkey, it is called "Yufka", in Egypt "Gollash"In Serbia and Montenegro"Kore».
Use Filo's dough for making flour products: pies, pies, "envelopes", rolls and cakes. And not necessarily the dish should be sweet: seafood rolls are added to the dough rolls, as well as vegetable and meat fillings, thus obtaining delicious snacks. So, if you saw a flour puff dish in the tavern menu, Filo's dough is probably present in its composition.
Dishes from Phill acquire a ruddy color, an appetizing crunch and a unique taste. Filo's dough itself is low on calories, because it is bland and contains a minimum amount of fat. But due to the fact that each layer is soaked with olive oil or sunflower oil, the calories of Filo dough increase to 441 units per 100 grams of product. In general, for a standard portion of the dish is relatively little.
You can create a Mediterranean culinary masterpiece from both the purchased Fillo and the one you cooked yourself. How to prepare Philo's dough at home will be discussed in detail later. As for the finished layers, buy Filo's dough in large supermarkets: the price for 500 grams ranges from 100-150 rubles. The product is sold more often frozen, so before use it is required to bring it to full thawing, so that the layers become elastic again.
Ingredients Filo dough
So, we learned what Philo's dough is, now let's look at how to cook it. But before we give a detailed recipe for Philo dough for cooking at home, we briefly describe its composition. To those who want to buy the finished product in the store, focusing on the data presented, chose quality products.
So, Fillo is a yeast-free dough, which consists of:
It is also allowed to use chicken eggs, vegetable oil and starch in cooking.
These are the ingredients that make up Philo's dough. As you can see, the composition of Fillo is very simple, but at the same time saturated with vitamins. There are vitamins A, E, PP, D and several B vitamins at once. This complex of nutrients helps to improve the digestive tract, normalize peristalsis and improve the tone of the body. Of course, all this is valid provided that there are no harmful concentrates and E additives in the product. Therefore, when purchasing dough in the store, carefully read the composition stated on the label.
And to be sure of the usefulness of the dish at 100%, it is better to cook it yourself. The recipe for making Filo's dough at home is not so complicated. Especially if you know the little tricks and nuances of cooking. So, reveal all the secrets.
How to make Philo's dough yourself - step by step recipe
Filo pastry looks attractive, crunches appetizing and leaves a pleasant aftertaste. Such a delicacy and pulls to try, even if you know about Greece only by hearsay and beautiful pictures on the Internet. Well, traveling abroad is not available to everyone, but acquaintance with world cuisine is quite possible to spend at home. For example, make a DIY Phillo dough pie or a crispy roll with vegetable filling.
Such snacks are made easy and simple, the main thing is to know how to properly prepare the dough Philo at home. We will talk about this wisdom in detail.
Above, we have already expounded on the classic composition of Filo dough with a list of main components, tips on where to buy Filo dough and what to look for. And there they mentioned that there are different variations of the kneading of the Greek dough. Therefore, here we are a little away from the classic, designed for industrial production, and present the most optimal recipe for making Filo dough at home.
So, first of all, you should stock up on the following ingredients:
- Wheat flour - 3 tbsp.,
- Boiled water - 1 tbsp.,
- Vegetable oil - 2 tbsp. l.,
- Vinegar 9% - 1 tsp,
- Egg yolks - 3 pcs.,
- Salt - 0.5 tsp.
This set of products is designed for 12 servings, and the total cooking time will take 2, 5 hours. As you can see, the composition is nothing supernatural - everything can be found in the nearest shop. Well, if you already have everything ready, then let's start making Philo's dough!
Since the Greek dough is extremely thin (the formation is less than 1 mm), it is very important to mix the batch with the correct concentration so that the sheets subsequently do not tear, bubble or burst. For the first time, this is always difficult, so for beginners we offer a step-by-step recipe of cooking for Philo's dough. Over time, you will fill your hand, and jewelry work with the thinnest sheets will become commonplace.
So, let's analyze in stages how to prepare Filo's Greek dough.
- Pour warm boiled water into a bowl and add salt to it. Mix thoroughly so that the salt is dissolved to the last grain. The homogeneity of the mass is very important, because any lump can later break a leaf.
- Add in salt water vinegar and egg yolks. Re-mix until smooth.
- Take a separate deep bowl and sift the flour.
- In the prepared flour, we make a small depression and slowly pour in the prepared mixture of water, vinegar and egg yolks. Constantly stir the dough with a spoon.
- Add vegetable oil to the prepared batch and continue to mix. When the dough hardens so that the spoon will turn with difficulty, go to the kneading hands.
- Finally we get a soft dough, which must be chopped for 2-3 minutes, i.e. about 50-60 times. Through this procedure, Fillo gains density and elasticity.
- Wrap the well-battered dough in cling film or bag, and leave to cool for 60 minutes at room temperature.
During this time it is necessary to prepare a waffle or linen towel, parchment paper and a rope. Towel should be slightly moistened and flush with flour so that the dough does not stick to the surface.
- Now came the moment of thin rolling. Smooth the dough on the prepared fabric, and cut into small pieces. We take one part and begin to roll (while working with 1 slice, the rest is covered with a film or package so that the dough does not blow).
- After receiving a thin layer, we take it on our hands and begin to gently stretch it manually until the layer begins to shine through. If the batch was correct, the dough will be gentle and pliable, and the sheet will easily stretch.
- Trim the edges and lay the layer on the parchment. So that the dough does not dry, cover it from above with a damp towel.
- Similarly, roll out all the remaining pieces. Finished leaves are laid with parchment and piled. Do not forget to cover it with a wet towel.
- At the end of the process we roll the whole pile into a roll. If you need to cook in 2-3 hours, then re-cover with a towel. If the dough is prepared for future use, then we freeze it directly with a convolution. Product is ready!
By the way, we note that if you want to make Philo's lean dough, then you can reduce caloric content by removing eggs from the recipe. The rest of the cooking technology is the same.
With the prepared Fillo, you can make any dough products: cakes, puff pastries, baskets, envelopes and original snacks. We will give a couple of recipes of the most tasty dishes right now!
What can I make from Philo's dough - a few recipes
So, we are great fellows and managed to make real Greek dough at home. Now let's think about what to make from Filo's dough at home. We offer to try out a couple of main dishes and some snacks.
Filo's ready-made Greek dough is great for making Austrian strudel. The product turns crunchy, appetizing and literally melting in the mouth. A combination of apple juice with a creamy sugar taste of the dough leaves a delicate aftertaste. Consider the recipe!
Servings - 8, cooking time - 1, 5 hours
Pie with vegetables upside down
vegetable oil, onion (peeled and finely chopped), garlic (chopped finely), zucchini (finely chopped), red pepper (peeled and finely chopped), tomatoes (dried, cut in half), salt, black pepper (ground) , filo dough, butter, egg (beat), milk, feta cheese (diced), basil, pine nuts, parmesan cheese (grated)