Hamsters are small rodents, which are distinguished by short legs, small tails and ears. If you take good care of them, they make excellent pets. When buying, you should be guided by the breed, since it is she who determines all the characteristics of the animal. What breeds and species of hamsters are there?
Dzungarian hamsters (Dzhungariki) - differ in modest size, maximum body length up to 10 cm. Weight less than 50 grams. They are classified as dwarf species.
The hair of the animals is short and smooth, with a characteristic black or dark gray strip on the back along the spine. A little hamster is recommended for home keeping.
Rodents have colors:
- Standard - brown-gray.
- Pearl - whitish with gray splashes.
- Mandarin - shades of red.
- Sapphire - cold gray with a glow of blue.
At home, able to breed all year round, starting at 4 weeks of age.
Syrian hamster is the first of the tamed species. Ideal for home content, tamed. Wild ancestors of the breed live in Syria and adjacent regions.
Representatives of the breed can vary greatly in physical parameters. Hamsters have a dense constitution, small rounded ears, large beaded eyes. There are 5 fingers on hind legs, and only 4 on the front.
Torso length from 12 to 18 cm and weight from 100 to 150-200 grams. Colors varied from white to black. The hair length of Syrians is not the same: they can be both smooth and longhair (Angora hamsters). Lead nocturnal. In captivity live up to 4-6 years.
Angora hamster (Royal) - a species of Syrian hamster with long hair, obtained by breeding hamsters in captivity. In nature, Angora Syrians are not found.
Angora hamster is not a very large representative of the Syrian breed. Body length up to 12-14 cm, weight about 120-150 grams.
It is favorably decorated with a very beautiful long (5-6 cm) silky fur coat of various colors: shades of cream, gold, brown, white, ashen, coal, a combination of several tones and color tints.
A pet differs from other hamster breeds in intelligence and docile temperament. It makes contact with children and adults, it is easy to tame. Life expectancy from 2.5 to 4.5 years.
Roborovsky hamster is a dwarf species of downy hamsters. The adult individual is no more than 5-6 cm in length. The animal's weight is 20-30 grams. Color smooth smooth skin: sandy ashen, whitish, cinnamon, agouti, white with spots. The belly is white.
It is easy to distinguish from other dwarf hamsters by the absence of a characteristic dark strip along the ridge.
The hamster of Roborovsky is social, gets on well with his fellow tribesmen. At home, small animals (individuals of the same sex) are kept in aquariums in small groups of 3-4 pieces.
Miniature hamsters rarely show aggression (bite), but very restless. The pregnancy of the female lasts 18-20 days, 3-9 cubs are born. Life expectancy is 2-3 years.
Ciscaucasian (Dagestan) or Radde hamster is a wild species that lives in the foothills of the Caucasus. The animal is quite large, body length up to 26-28 cm and weight of 700-900 grams.
A small tail (1-1.4 cm) is barely visible, under the fluffing to the bottom, fur. Silky thick coat of red-gray color. The belly is charcoal gray, under the neck is a strip of black collar.
The rodent digs a hole with branches-storerooms and makes extensive reserves for the winter (up to 20 kg). The number of litters depends on the amount of food and habitat. In the plain, the female gives birth to 4 times a year, and in the mountains no more than 2 times. From 4 to 20 cubs are born at a time.
Agricultural pest to a person with great distrust. At home is not contained.
Caucasian (Transcaucasian) or hamster Brant - lives in a mountainous area at an altitude of 2-3 thousand meters above sea level.
The color of the skin is gray-brown with an uneven predominance of colors, after molting the color is less bright. Between the front paws pronounced black spot. Body length up to 16-18cm, tail 2-3cm. The weight of an adult rodent is from 180 to 250 grams.
Several individuals can coexist, dig burrows near each other and form colonies of 3-30 rodents in the same area. Rare species, in many countries (Armenia, Georgia, Azerbaijan) on the verge of extinction. In winter, it hibernates. The basis of the diet is plant food.
He does not tame; he is hostile towards a person.
Rat hamster - looks very similar to an ordinary rat. It is widespread in Primorye and in the North of China, where it is one of the main agricultural pests.
Wool in young smooth gray, adults with red. The tail is slightly pubescent with a short brownish nap, its length is 7-10 cm. The tip of the tail is whitish-silver. The total body length is 15-25 cm, body weight from 100 to 250 grams.
Breeds in the summer. For the season up to 3 litters. The maximum number of cubs in the nest is up to 10 pieces. Hibernates in deep holes. Makes a huge amount of stocks, plundering agricultural land.
Life expectancy, even in captivity, is not more than a year. It is actively used as a laboratory experimental animal in regions of habitat.
Daursky (Barabinsky) hamster - may be kept in captivity, but not tamed. In nature, lives in Transbaikalia and Primorye. Character aggressive, often bites. At home, does not multiply.
Body length from 8 to 12 cm, including 2-3cm tail. The muzzle is slightly pointed, large rounded ears stand out on the head up to 1.5-1.7 cm in diameter. Color red or gray with a dark stripe along the ridge. Active all year round.
Hibernates for 2-3 days with sharp significant temperature changes. Leads nocturnal. The breeding season begins at the end of winter. During the season, the female produces offspring 2-3 times for 7-10 babies. The cubs begin an independent life in 4-5 weeks.
Mongolian hamster - refers to the genus Eversmannov hamsters. Distributed in Mongolia and China. In size, slightly larger than the mouse, the body length is 9–15 cm, and the tail is 1.5–2 cm. The color of the back is light gray with a slight reddishness that contrasts with the snowy white belly.
Active at night. In winter, hibernates. Stores up to a kilogram of various supplies. The basis of nutrition is cereal and grass seed, but does not hesitate to small insects. It breeds in the warm season, 2-3 litters of 5-15 cubs per season.
It is used as an experimental animal, brings significant damage to agriculture in the habitat regions. Not recommended by experts for home maintenance.
Siberian or Russian dwarf hamster - lives in nature in the steppes of Kazakhstan and the Republic of Tyva. Suitable for keeping at home. Interesting to watch.
The animal has a modest size not exceeding 9-10cm. Weight varies: in nature -15-20 grams, at home up to 40-50 grams. Lead a twilight lifestyle. Does not transfer the neighborhood with other individuals.
Life expectancy: in nature up to 2 years, in captivity up to 3 years. The skin is smooth gray-blue with a black stripe along the spine, becomes almost white by winter.
The animal is difficult to acquire, most often under the guise of Siberian Djungarian hamsters are sold.
Taylor Pygmy Hamster
The dwarf hamster Taylor is a miniature rodent, its weight does not exceed 8-10 grams, and the maximum body length is 7-8 cm. In the wild nature lives in Central and South America.
The animal has a fluffy soft sandy fur coat of medium length, white abdomen. From head to tiny tail, a longitudinal clear gray strip.
Contained in captivity in pairs or small groups. Very prolific - up to 10 litters per year, from 2 to 5 in each. Pregnancy lasts about 20 days. The male protects the female and offspring, helps to educate and feed young hamsters.
Not the most popular form for keeping at home. Need to look for breeders.
Taylor Pygmy Hamster
Pygmy Campbell Hamster
Campbell dwarf hamster in nature lives in the steppes of Kazakhstan, Mongolia, China. It is visually very similar to the Dzhungar hamster, but slightly inferior in size. Red and cream colors of a smooth fur coat are predominant, on the back there is always a dark longitudinal strip.
Body weight up to 50 grams, length 7-10cm. Suitable for home maintenance (observation). Poorly tamed, often bite the owners by the fingers.
Hamsters live in small colonies. In captivity they breed all year round (3-4 litters up to 7-8 cubs in each). Conflict-free sharing of heterosexual individuals is noted, but this threatens with overcrowding. Life expectancy at home from 1.5 to 2.5 years.
Hamsters have become popular pets, but remember that not every breed of rodent is suitable for domestic keeping and taming. Before you buy a hamster, you need to find out information about him and determine whether you just watch his life or take it in your arms.
What breed to choose a hamster?
There are many different types of hamsters in the world, but only a few of them have gained worldwide fame of pets and are actively divorced at home. In our country, in every pet store or market you can see Syrian hamsters, Dzungarian, Roborovsky and Campbell hamsters. All these breeds are different from each other and have an incredible appeal. Syrian and Dzhungar, perhaps, the most popular and common, but the rest are not far behind.
Immediately it should be noted that all of the following species require daily attention, otherwise, the hamster will not recognize you, and in response will be defended - a natural reaction to strangers.
Features Syrian hamsters
This is the largest breed. Has a variety of colors. Of course, the Syrian hamsters have conquered the world in their manner of carrying everything they can into their cheek pouches, which are much more capacious. Such a sight looks very funny. Having stopped the choice on the Syrian hamster, positive is provided.
But do not forget about the due attention to the animal and it is worth considering that most of the cages and drums for hamsters are designed for dwarfs. For a Syrian cell, a much larger cage is required with a 18–20 cm diameter drum, which you need to search for, or alternatively, create your own terrarium. They live alone, and sharing the roommates may turn into a noisy fight.
Refer to the dwarf. At times less than the Syrians, on average, their weight is 40 grams. Also, sociable and demanding in attention, as the Syrians. However, have their own attractiveness and charm. Having a small size, it is easy for a jungar to pick up a cage and a wheel.
Very charming breed of hamsters. It is worth looking at them once, rather than trying to tell. But, these hamsters are not simple, they have their own distinctive character trait! The Campbell breed is the most aggressive of the species in question. Sometimes they are tamed rather quickly, sometimes they are not tamed at all. They value independence and are persistently fighting for it. However, this character trait does not interfere with conquering the army of fans. Look at the photo, is it possible to resist such a charming little face?
The breed is suitable as an excellent choice for busy people who have little free time to care for their pet.
How to choose a healthy hamster
It is very important not only to determine the breed, but also to choose a healthy pet. This will directly affect its longevity and activity. Only a healthy pet can give a truly positive attitude. Do not buy a sick hamster out of pity, as a rule, the already fragile body quickly goes to heaven - do not upset yourself.
And so, before you choose, pay attention to the state of wool. It should shine, be smooth and disheveled and, in any case, wet. Wet hair tends to be infectious and diarrheic.
Look at the eyes of the animal, they should be clean, there should be no souring, both in the eyes and around.
Rate the activity of the animal. During the day it is difficult to do, because hamsters are nocturnal animals. In the daytime, they usually sleep or eat in a drowsy state, they may run a little and go to bed again. In the evening, a healthy hamster is activated and begins to run in the wheel, climbing around the cage.
We hope these not complicated tips will help you choose a healthy and beloved hamster!
Share in the comments what breed your hamster?
Breeds Angora hamster does not exist. So often called Syrians increased shaggy with long hair (reaches 10 cm). Decorative, famous fluffinessbreed Wool requires additional care - consider this if you are thinking to start shaggy hamster.
Another representative of the dwarf breed. It is very similar to a jungar, both in size and color, therefore learn breed not so easy. The main differences of Campbell from Jungar:
- Color with a golden shade, while the dzungarika wool is darker
- When viewed from above, the shape resembles the figure eight, and in the case of a jungar,
- The strip on the back is less clear
Signs are not accurate, therefore we advise you to familiarize yourself with the material on our website, which covers the issue in detail. how to determine hamster breed (distinguish dzhungarika from campbell).
Life is shorter than that of the Jungar breed, an average of 2 years in captivity.
It is difficult for sellers to understand what kind of animal the buyer considers “ordinary”, so they can sell anything. Let us clarify this question: the common hamster (he is wild, he is carby) is a noble pest of human crops and almost does not occur as a pet.
What does a regular hamster look like? It reaches a length of 35 cm, has a long tail - up to 8 cm. The abdomen is usually black, the back and sides are bright, spotty. Not recommended for maintenance and domestication.
Albino hamster with red or black eyes
And again you have to be disappointed - there is no separate albino breed with a specific eye color. An albino can be born to almost any living thing (even a human being).
Usually hamsters with black eyes, but albinos often have impaired eye pigmentation (this is the color on the inner surface of the eyeball). As a result, it becomes transparent and the red color that we see is the blood vessels.
Albino with any eye color is no different in avoiding the usual animal of the same breed.
Eversmann's hamster, living mainly in Mongolia, has an average height of 15 cm and a short (up to 2 cm) tail. The prevailing color is a brown back with a bright belly with a dark spot on the chest. There is a variety of Eversmann hamster - Mongolian. Differences from the first:
- Mongolian a little less
- Color lighter (closer to gray)
- No blemish on chest
Baraba hamster hails from Western Siberia and Mongolia. It grows up to 13 cm. The color is light brown, sometimes reddish, with a stripe on the back. Puziko lighter, sometimes even white. An interesting feature - two-tone ears (on the edges of a white border).
Daursky hamster - a type of Baraba breed. Differs in a darker color and a distinct spinal strip.
The animal is 9-12 cm in length, dark gray, originally from Transbaikalia. The long-tailed hamster is very similar to an ordinary field mouse (tail length up to 5 cm).
Do you know more domestic hamster breeds?
If we have lost sight of the breed suitable for keeping at home, write in the comments - add. And subscribe to us in social networks - there will be many interesting things!
Male or female
Since small rodents, unlike other domestic animals, cannot be sterilized, males and females will differ somewhat in behavior, being at the mercy of sex hormones. However, with a single content, there is no fundamental difference between them.
Males are somewhat larger and calmer, but they smell more: they specifically mark their territory with urine, which smells stronger than that of females. Boys' fur is also “fragrant”. Consequently, the hamster boy's cage will need to be cleaned more often. Males are more affectionate and patient.
Females are more playful when they are not sleeping - they are mobile, active. But when buying a girl kept in a common cage, there is always the risk of unplanned offspring. Females may also have reproductive health problems (endometritis).
What kind of hamsters are best kept at home? Different types of hamsters differ not only in size, color and length of hair. Focus not only on the attractive appearance, but also on the characteristics of temperament. The most popular hamster breeds are Dzungar and Syrian (on our website there is a detailed comparison of the Dzungarik and Syrian hamsters).
The largest of the decorative hamsters (body length 12-18 cm, weight 100-200 g). Better for a child not to find. Advantages of a Syrian:
- neat, thoroughly wash the wool, the smell from them is weak,
- live longer "dwarfs", 2-3 years, sometimes up to 4 years,
- разнообразный экстерьер: есть длинношерстные (ангорский) и короткошерстные, самых различных окрасов – от золотистого до черного,
- крупного зверька проще брать на руки ребенку, не опасаясь уронить или травмировать его,
- самый ручной и добрый хомяк из всех.
Сирийский хомяк – единственный вид, который можно приучить отзываться на имя. These rodents are not prone to aggression, they are easily tamed, they recognize the owner.
Difficulty: large hamster needs a large cage, running wheel of solid diameter. If the living space does not allow keeping the Syrian in appropriate conditions, you can look at the dwarf hamsters.
Sick animals are often sold
Market hamsters are stressed and kept in terrible conditions. Overcrowding leads to the spread of infectious and parasitic diseases. If a cage stands in a draft, rodents may catch a cold. Because of savings or oversight, animals sometimes suffer from poor-quality feed.
If such a hamster dies, being brought home, neither complain nor return the money for the animal is not possible.
The seller may be blunt about the date of birth of the hamster, and the purity of their blood will remain a mystery. Not to mention the embarrassment, when “this fat boy” turns out to be a pregnant girl!
The only argument in favor of the market is a wide choice. You can find a hamster of any breed and color, buy a cage and food.
In the pet store animals are more likely to be healthy. Minuses:
- limited choice
- adult rodents can be sold, which “stayed late”, and the age of hamsters is already short,
- Sellers rarely give competent care advice. Claim that the hamster "eats everything", "unpretentious" to sell the animal.
The price in the pet store is higher than the market, but the conditions in which the hamsters are located are more favorable.
Ideal to get a future pet in the nursery. The choice of the breeder is limited, but you can visit several nurseries. Photos of hamsters-parents and litter, you can explore in advance on the site.
Hamsters are good at caring for these animals like no other. They don’t have any secrets from the buyers, many people leave the phone for communication in case of any questions. You can get the contacts of the doctor-ratologist from the breeder, consult on feeding.
The date of birth of babies is known exactly, hamsters are sold at the optimum age. Bred animals are suitable for exhibitions and breeding, although if you buy a hamster for a child, it is not so important. The cost of "elite" homyachat high, but the price is justified by the cost of maintaining the nursery.
A very important point - it is the "home" hamsters that turn out to be the most gentle and tame ones. There are objective reasons for this. Since childhood, they get used to human hands, as opposed to the store. Do not experience the stress of improper maintenance, transportation. An aggressive or nervous hamster does not receive high marks at the exhibition and is not allowed to breed.
Therefore, professional breeders get whole lines of genetically calm and friendly animals.
The hamster has many competitors in the fight for the role of a pet. If you are still not fully determined with the choice, perhaps you can help our comparison with other popular hamster pets.
How to choose healthy?
Choosing a hamster is a responsible event. The buyer should be able to independently distinguish the sick animal from the healthy one, not relying on the advice of the seller. When deciding which hamster to choose at the pet store, or at a breeder from a numerous litter, you need to focus on the following points:
Conditions of detention
Even before the inspection hamsters evaluate the room in which they are located. There should be no unpleasant smell, drafts, noise. Look closely - whether the cell is clean, what quality of food is in the feeder. Males and females should be kept separately: early pregnancy is dangerous for the young hamster, and the buyer gets unplanned offspring.
To take home you need a hamster that looks perfectly healthy. Shiny thick hair, bezzalysy and traces of scratching. Clear shiny beady eyes. To assess the fatness and make sure that there are no cones on the body (abscess, tumor), the animal will have to be picked up.
Wool must be completely dry, discharge should not be allowed. Examine the area around the eyes, nose, ears, mouth, genitals, anus. If there are signs of diarrhea or excessive salivation, the purchase is canceled.
Hamsters, even in captivity, remain nocturnal animals, sleep most of the day, so you should look closely at the animal in the evening. A healthy rodent actively moves through the cage, runs around the wheel, digs in the stern and bedding, does not limp. When a hamster is not sleeping - he should not show apathy, freeze in a stupor.
It is important to assess the temperament of the animal - try to pick up, or ask the owner to do it. If a hamster squeals, bites, breaks out, it will be very difficult to tame it.
Hamsters take at the age of 1-2 months. If you buy a baby under 3 weeks old, he may die. Sometimes adult animals are trying to sell under the guise of young. Whatever happens to you, you need to be able to determine the age of the hamster. A rodent older than 4 months will be difficult to tame.
In the nursery it is known when babies were born. The market and the pet store are advised to weigh the animals. The weight of an adult Syrian hamster is 150–200 g, and a dzungarik is 40–60 g. Such sizes reach 6 months.
Reflecting on what animal is better for the house, many come to the decision to get a hamster. These are the most popular pets. However, if you want to know which hamsters do not smell or bite, the answer is plush. The animal of any breed will need to be patiently accustomed to hands, take into account the natural features and needs of the pet. Only then will he answer you with kindness and trust.
From the article we can conclude that the ideal hamster for children is a Syrian boy aged 1-2 months, bought in the nursery. In practice, all is not so clear. One can argue endlessly about which hamster is better - and all parties will be right in their own way. Children, any rodent will bring a lot of joy.
All hamsters belong to the rodent subfamily, as well as to the family of hamsters. The build is usually dense, the body is short and round. The paws are also short, have pronounced pads and even fingers that help the animals take and eat food. The ears are small, the muzzle may be short or oblong. The color varies from white, silver or light gray to red, brown and even almost black. A distinctive feature are cheek pouches in which hamsters can hide food.
The lifestyle is predominantly twilight or nocturnal. Many species dig burrows, and complex ones with storerooms and numerous passages. Such rodents can dwell in the steppes, in the fields in semi-deserts. They feed on seeds, grasses, grains, sometimes small insects.
The most popular hamster breeds, their names and descriptions are presented below:
- Siberian. It is also often called Russian, and is sometimes confused with Dzhungar because of some similar features. In nature, the species is found in Siberia (especially in Tuva), which is why it was given such a name. The dimensions are small, usually they do not exceed 6-8 centimeters. The color is light gray, while in winter the fur turns white, which makes the breed even more attractive. These hamsters are very active and mobile, they can dig minks, hide food. Rodents usually feed on plant foods, such as seeds, grains, fruits, or berries.
- Dzungarian hamster is considered one of the most studied and popular among breeders. The rodent has a rather bright and cute appearance, and its size does not exceed 6-8 cm. The soles of the paws are covered with hairs, a dark longitudinal line runs along the back, and this distinguishes this rodent from many others. The main color is light gray or ocher, but in winter it becomes silver or almost white. The ears are small, the muzzle is slightly pointed, the tail is short and almost imperceptible. In nature, these hamsters live in the semi-deserts and steppes of Khakassia, Kazakhstan, and Siberia. They feed on shoots, seeds. It is noteworthy that the “jungarians” are non-aggressive and are fairly easy to tame and even learn. And they almost do not smell, if you provide proper care.
- Roborovsky hamster is the smallest representative, its length, as a rule, does not exceed five centimeters. This pet will surely be nimble, nimble, active, but at the same time independent. In nature, rodents live in packs, so it is better to keep a pair of hamsters, one pet will probably be bored. The color is usually sandy, but there are dark blotches. The belly and areas near the whiskers are the brightest. A characteristic feature is the presence of a kind of eyebrows - light arcs above the eyes. Roborovsky hamsters dig shallow noki and live in them. Activity usually occurs at night after dusk.
- Common hamsters are the largest members of the family, having a body length of 30 centimeters. The tail is also quite long (about 5-8 cm), covered with a stiff, short fur coat, has a thick base, and by the end it is thinned. Color includes several shades and makes the appearance bright. So, the back of the rodent is red, the belly is almost black, and on the sides and breast you can see white spots. Paws are also light. Breed common in Europe, especially in its southern regions. The way of life is nocturnal, and almost the whole day the hamster spends in his hole, which can have several exits, numerous corridors and storerooms. In the last rodent stores stocks, the total amount of which can reach 15 kg!
- Campbell's hamster, like some others, is also considered dwarf. Feet shaggy, and in appearance rodents resemble Dzungarian breed. The coat has a dark gray or brown color, on the back passes a dark but inconspicuous band, the abdomen is light gray. The muzzle is short, the ears are small and rounded. The character is quite complicated, since Campbell's hamsters prefer loneliness and are extremely reluctant to make contact, therefore it is better to watch them without approaching too closely.
- Sungur hamster in the wild nature lives in the grassy steppes of Kazakhstan and Siberia. Body length can reach 7-10 centimeters. The tail of the spine is slightly arched, which creates the feeling of a small hump. Paws are covered with down, and such a hamster is considered to be very footy. Cheek bags are very voluminous, well stretched. The eyes are relatively large and bulging, the nose is quite voluminous. Such a breed does not differ by its aggressiveness, therefore it is worth noting its ability to taming. In addition, the pet can get on with other animals, if accustomed to them from an early age.
- Syrian - one of the most popular hamsters. In addition, it is large, because the length of its body is about 15-17 centimeters, and the weight can reach 150 grams. In nature, the species is found in Syria (it is considered the birthplace), Turkey. The breed can be both short-haired and long-haired, but in any case, the fur is very beautiful and resembles an expensive and soft fur coat. Although Syrian hamsters are mostly solitary, they get used to people quickly and willingly make contact. Such a pet can sit on its hands for a long time and play, strive for communication and attract attention. These rodents feed on plants, seeds, and sometimes insects.
- Taylor's hamster is a dwarf rodent whose body length rarely exceeds 7 centimeters. These animals live in the tall grass in the fields of Mexico, Central America. They do not dig holes, but they build nests, usually located near stones, between them, or under bushes. These hamsters feed mainly on grass and seeds, but can sometimes eat insects. Keeping at home is possible, moreover, this species is not bad tamed and gets used to people.
- Eversman's hamster is often found in the wild nature of the Urals, Kazakhstan, and the middle Volga region. It is larger than the mouse, the length of the body can reach 12-13 cm, the tail - about 2-3 cm. The paws are short, the muzzle is slightly elongated and pointed. The ears have a rounded shape and small size. The tail is slightly flattened and rather wide, covered with hairs. The coat is not long, but very soft, creating a velvety feeling. The color may be reddish, sandy or pale yellow. The abdomen is different from the main tone and is light, and between the front legs there is a dark spot under the throat. The animal shows activity in the dark time of day, it feeds mainly on plants.
About breeds and hamsters
Today, hamsters are one of the most popular pets. And there are many reasons for this. They are funny, good-natured, take up little space, eat a little, do not require special attention. If you do not have a lot of free time or you are constantly delayed at work, and you really want to have a pet, then a hamster is ideal.
These small animals are able to put off supplies and will not go hungry if you need to leave for a day or two. The house will not all be turned upside down and the corners will not be marked.
If you decide to have this wonderful tiny animal, then the following question arises: what breed of rodent is best to buy. Hamster species vary in size, color, and long hair. We consider the most popular hamster breeds and their main advantages.
Breeds of hamsters, the most common in the home:
How to find a hamster breed and not make a mistake when choosing? Let's look at the types of domestic hamsters in more detail.
Angora hamster got its name in honor of the same breed of cats with long and beautiful hair. In fact, Angora is the same Syrian rodent, but with a long fur. Their fur requires careful care, so the representatives of this species can not live in captivity. They have a calm and playful disposition, will be liked by the smallest breeders.
White hamsters albinos
Albino hamsters also belong to a species that is not found in nature. An albino can be a representative of absolutely any breed. Albinism is a genetic disorder, in this case the animal's body does not produce melanin. In consequence of which the coat color becomes white. The eyes of the animal become red because of the appearing blood vessels. In nature, albinos have a very short life because of the inability to find shelter in the field. In the conditions of home maintenance are subject to frequent diseases.
Albino hamsters are not the best choice as the first pet because of their tendency to frequent diseases.
Another representative of a market economy. In reality, the golden hamster is likely to be a Syrian with a reddish color. If you are offered a golden animal, remember - this type does not exist. This is just a marketing ploy to raise the price of a representative of the Syrian breed several times.
Like the previous species is fiction sellers. The white hamster is likely to be an ordinary albino jungle. After all, representatives of this particular breed are most often subject to such a genetic disorder.
Note! Albinism may not be complete. with such a deviation, it is allowed to be interspersed with white wool of other colors, and the eyes will have a regular rather than red color.
Remember, the white hamster breed does not exist! Do not let unscrupulous sellers make money on uninformed buyers.
Also not representative of a particular breed or species. Representatives with black fur were first bred in France in 1985. Black can be an animal of absolutely any breed. This is not a genetic disorder, as in the previous case, but simply the color of the fur.
Note! If there is at least one white spot on the body of the animal, it is no longer considered black.
We hope that our article on the types and breeds of domestic hamsters helped you decide which animal to breed. And this tiny wonderful animal with small shiny eyes and soft fur will become your favorite pet.