Do I need a personal yoga mat at all? Undoubtedly, such an accessory can be called necessary. Firstly, it is worth it to buy it at least for personal hygiene, as it is not safe to work on the floor or on a public rug, because bacteria can live everywhere. Secondly, the rug will provide you with convenience. You will not be cold or hard, and sometimes it is very important. Thirdly, if you buy a rug, you simply can not give up classes (yes, such an argument is important for some).
What should be mats for fitness?
We list the requirements for fitness mats:
- The rug must absorb moisture. It is clear that during classes you can sweat, and it will not be very pleasant to practice on the surface that is wet from your sweat. Sometimes it's just dangerous.
- The material should not stretch too much. When doing stretching exercises, you do not have to worry about getting hurt. So when you buy pull the mat. If he is strongly stretched, refuse to buy.
- The mat should not slip, even on the slippery surface such as laminate or tile. Increased slip will make training ineffective, uncomfortable, and sometimes dangerous.
- This accessory should not distract from training and attract attention to itself, so avoid bright and “acidic” shades, as well as large drawings.
- The rug should be soft enough to provide proper cushioning and body support. But such an accessory can not be too soft.
- High-quality and practical mat can be easily washed with water with regular soap, it is convenient and fast. If the material can only be cleaned with special wipes, it will add unnecessary worries and problems.
- The accessory should not be too heavy.
We list the main types of mats for fitness and yoga:
- The “ab mats” mat is a short and rather dense mat that will be comfortable when performing exercises on a press. It is much thicker and tougher than other types, but dynamic or strength training with such an accessory will not be comfortable due to the strong slip.
- “Workout mat” is an almost universal accessory. It is softer and longer, usually consists of several segments and can be folded. This option is convenient for non-professional training and classes at home. It provides sufficient depreciation and almost does not slip, but difficult exercises to do on it will not work.
- "Mind body" - a one-piece pieceless rug to be rolled into a roll. Depreciation is sufficient, you can perform any exercise. This is the best option for regular or professional studies.
What is it made of?
When choosing, you should pay attention to the material from which the mat is made. There are several options:
- Rugs made of synthetic materials (polyvinyl chloride - PVC) are the most inexpensive and therefore the most popular, especially among beginners. This accessory is quite practical, it does not fade and is almost not damaged, easy to clean. The denser the material, the longer the mat will last. But this accessory can slide on some surfaces, so it is not suitable for yoga.
- Thermoplastic-elastomer mats are more resilient, softer and more pleasant to the touch, and also keep their shape better even after serious mechanical stress. This accessory can be used in any conditions, including in nature. The rug will absorb sweat, take care of it simply. The material is non-slip, durable and durable, and also lightweight. But such a rug will cost more than PVC.
- For the manufacture of used and elastic natural materials such as rubber or rubber with the addition of jute. Rubber is quite heavy and does not absorb moisture, but does not preserve unpleasant odors, does not slip and does not electrify. The thickness is impressive, the material is quite soft. The rubber is quite soft and elastic, keeps its shape and does not slip, and also durable. But natural material mats are heavier and, as a rule, more expensive.
- Also on sale you can find cotton rugs. They absorb moisture well and retain body heat, but can slip and do not provide the necessary support. This option is suitable, rather, for the most simple exercises.
We are determined with the size
How to choose a comfortable mat for fitness and yoga? It is important to determine the optimal size of the rug, which will depend on your parameters. Some useful tips:
- The length of the rug can vary from 170 to 240 centimeters. How to decide? It all depends on your height, as well as on the exercises that you plan to perform. So, if the classes are calm and not too dynamic, then to determine the optimal length should be added to the growth of 10 centimeters. If your workouts are dynamic, then add to the growth of 20-40 centimeters, on a too short mat you will not be comfortable doing.
- Width usually varies from 60 to 80 centimeters. Of course, it is best to choose a wide mat so that nothing binds your movements. But if you have to go to the gym by public transport, then this accessory can disturb you and other passengers. But remember that too narrow mats are not very comfortable.
- Now it is necessary to determine the thickness. In general, it can vary from 1.5 to 6-8 millimeters. It is better to choose a rather thick rug. Firstly, it will protect you from the cold coming from the floor, and, secondly, it will provide maximum comfort during classes and will help you to rest on your knees or elbows without any unpleasant sensations. So the optimum thickness is 4.5-6 millimeters. There are also thicker mats, but you should not buy such an accessory, it can prevent you from feeling your own body.
How to care for a rug?
Do I need to care for a rug? Sure yes. Fundamental rules:
- Wash the mat after purchase. The accessory made of PVC can be washed in a typewriter, the mat made of thermoplastic elastomer should be washed by hand, and the mat made of rubber or rubber should be wiped clean.
- Do not fold the rug, it can lead to the formation of creases, it is better to twist it into a roll.
- Clean the accessory as it gets dirty. Do not use aggressive detergents, they may damage the materials.
Get a comfortable mat for yoga and fitness and do it with pleasure and comfort.
Why do you need a product?
Before you learn how to choose yoga mats, you need to familiarize yourself with what they are for. If classes are performed irregularly, then you can not buy the product. To do this, you can take a veil, fitness mat, tourist karemat. But with regular classes it is necessary.
The rug is needed to comply with the rules of personal hygiene. To perform various exercises on the floor or on the ground is dangerous to health. The product allows you to make classes comfortable, so as not to have unpleasant feelings. In addition, with him the risk of injury is minimal. The need for a rug is associated with the tradition of the yogis, who necessarily had them to practice.
How to choose yoga mats? For this you need to familiarize yourself with the types of products. They differ in material, weight, thickness. To destination products can be intended for beginners and professionals. Weight also plays an important role. In the Russian market there are products with different weights.
Based on the floor mats are divided into the following:
1. Synthetic: latex - made from rubber. Rugs are expensive and heavy. Although they wear out over time, they are considered non-slip and environmentally friendly.
2. Natural - create from cotton, wool, jute fiber. Quickly absorb moisture.
Thermoplastic elastomer - has a small weight and excellent softness.
Polyvinyl chloride - is inexpensive and has high wear resistance.
Which yoga mat is best to choose? It is desirable to prefer natural products, since they are the most practical and convenient. But in any case, every product requires careful and regular care.
The common dimensions include a length of 183 cm and a width of 60 cm. The first indicator should be chosen on the basis of a person’s height, to which 10-15 cm should be added. If dynamic exercises are performed, a length of 220 cm is required.
Many prefer a width of 80 cm. Large parameters of mats increase the useful area for practical activities, but complicate their transportation.
How to choose yoga mats so that they are comfortable? When performing dynamic exercises, a person adopts unstable postures. To protect the body from falling will allow such property of a rug as stickiness. This is necessary for its engagement with the floor and the body. But we must remember that the sticky product wears heavily. Beginners, it is desirable to choose synthetic mats.
When practicing yoga, a person exudes sweat, so the product must absorb moisture. And increased humidity causes slippage. Which mat to choose for yoga? It must be made from natural materials or latex. Then the carpet will have a porous structure and excellent moisture absorption.
How to choose a yoga mat? A quality product should not drag on. Therefore, it is reinforced with lavsan fibers. They serve as an internal frame that protects against stretching.
It is necessary to choose the indicator 4-6 mm. But beginners also gain a thickness of 6 mm. Products are soft and do not let the cold. Reviews show that professionals prefer thickness up to 3 mm. They will be easily transported, since they can only be folded.
How to choose a good yoga mat? It is necessary to consider all the above parameters. According to the reviews it is clear that beginners should choose synthetic carpets. They have average characteristics, quite suitable for beginners. With the transition to professional pursuits will need an individual carpet.
Unilateral or bilateral
How to choose a yoga mat? Reviews say that the product must be different from two sides: one is in contact with the base, and the second is for the body. When practicing, do not use different sides, because it is considered dangerous to health.
The lower part, according to reviews, should not be slippery, even if the surface is smooth, for example: varnished parquet, damp tile, laminate. You need to choose with the front side, which is adapted to the body: absorbs moisture, does not irritate the skin, does not cause allergic reactions. Therefore, the lower part should be made of non-slip material with a textured surface that is needed for sticking to the floor. A natural topcoat protects against slipping.
If you are interested in how to choose yoga mats, you need to pay attention to their weight. They are from 900 g to 3.3 kg. What is better to purchase depends on the frequency of use. A solid model is suitable for the house, and for carrying by girls, a product with a mass not exceeding 1.5 kg is required in order not to over-pull the shoulder.
Men can choose a device for yoga weighing 2-2.5 kg. If it will be used in the hall, it is better to buy a folding option that easily turns into a roll and fits into a case with handles.
How to choose a yoga mat and which one is better depends on the desire. For many, the beauty of the product is important. This concerns color, material texture, design. There are no rules for such parameters, it is important that the device be liked by its owner.
Experienced yogis advise you not to choose bright products, as this will distract from the lessons. It is better to choose natural color and texture, then the activities will be effective. Given these parameters, it will be possible to determine how to choose the right yoga mat.
Where to buy?
The range of rugs is various. Beginners can be difficult to choose something suitable. Almost all goods are produced in China and Thailand. The exception is the Spanish products Salamander, and also the German - Wunderlich. In the Russian market offer the following products:
- Salamander - 4800-6900 rubles. This product is of excellent quality, made of natural rubber. The surface has excellent grip. Products are non-toxic and do not include allergenic substances. There are wide products - 66 cm, long - 200 cm, thin - up to 2 mm, and thick - 6 mm.
- Comfort Pro - the price is about 5400 rubles. Parameters - 200 * 60 * 0.6 cm.
- Ashtanga Master XL - cost 1700 rubles. Parameters - 220 * 60 * 0.6 cm.
- FT-YGM-PVC-3,5-DR - price 440 rubles. The product has a non-slip antimicrobial coating. Dimensions are equal to 172 * 60 * 0.35 cm.
Experts do not recommend purchasing goods in supermarkets or sports stores. Often there offer low-quality products at high prices. It is advisable to purchase yoga mats in yoga centers or online stores.
Care and storage
How care will be performed depends on the type of material. You should not change the product often, because it keeps the owner's energy for a long time. It is forbidden to engage in shoes, as well as fold the mat several times and in half. It is rolled into a roll back part inside. It is best to fold it in the opposite direction.
Rugs of synthetic materials after purchase must be washed with warm soapy water. You can use ordinary soap without flavors, such as household or children's. After removing the factory grease, the mat must be wetted with a towel and dried.
It should be washed every 2-3 months. You can wash the product in the machine, but with the inclusion of careful mode, without powder and spin. Natural materials should not be washed and washed. They are wiped with a damp cloth. Latex mats should be hung out for airing.
Modern technology has penetrated into many areas of human life. A novelty is SmartMat - “smart” mat. Although it is not on sale yet, the company received a lot of pre-orders. The cost of production is about 250 dollars. The manufacturer claims that such a product will be convenient for regular employment of those who wish to make them effective. The features of the product include:
- voice motivation yoga,
- assessment of body position and weight distribution,
- diary function.
Although there are such new items, you can still buy a classic rug that fits all characteristics. Then the classes will be interesting and comfortable.
The strength of the carpet is important when your practice has become regular and quite intensive. The most durable carpets - reinforced. However, they are the hardest. Check the strength of the carpet in the store is not easy, because for real evaluation takes time. Therefore, there are only two options: believe the description of the product and / or the seller-consultant or consult with experienced yogis who have already eaten more than one “dog”.
When choosing a material, it is important to take into account the specifics of your practice. If you are engaged in a relaxation manner, and you do not have to sweat too much, then any model will do, right down to the cheapest. But if you are doing intensively, then in this case yoga mats made of PVC (PVC) with closed times, i.e. most of the budget options "go to the forest." Your choice: PVC mats with open pores, PER + Jute mats, cork mats, rubber mats.
There are many yoga mats made of rubber and natural fibers on the market now. It is also worth noting here that some materials have a rather strong peculiar odor that disappears for a long time. Therefore, if you have an increased sensitivity to odors, then it makes sense when buying a carpet how to smell it.
At the moment, the range of carpets on the market for yoga products is quite large. Prices for them are very different - for any wallet. Here, as a rule, again we have to find a compromise between the cost and the indicators of the above parameters. It is clear that the higher the price, the greater the likelihood that the carpet will meet all your expectations. However, my experience shows that the "golden mean" is just in the middle of the price range that is on the market. Yoga mats at a price above the average are, as a rule, specimens having an additional parameter - the material's environmental friendliness. Here the decision is yours - are you ready at the moment to pay extra for this parameter or not.
There are also parameters such as color and brand of the manufacturer, but they relate to individual preferences, so here you are the “master-barin”.
In conclusion, I want to add that if you are going to purchase your first rug, then it is better to do this not through an online store, but at a sales point where you will have a real opportunity to check, touch, try on your “bidder”. Or, if you do not want to take it home from the store, then in any case, first look at the carpet "live", and then order it with home delivery. Thus, you get a better idea of the quality of the product. And, if all the parameters satisfy you, then take it!
However, remember that having a rug does not make you a practicing yogi. This is only the first small step into a huge boundless world. Then everything will depend on you, on the strength of your intentions and perseverance in practice.
How to choose a yoga mat
Изделия для йоги и аэробики отличаются материалом, текстурой поверхности и размерами. Эти параметры важно учитывать при выборе изделия.
Это первое, на что необходимо обратить внимание при покупке.
- Латекс – выбор профессионалов. Коврики из натурального каучука экологически безопасные, совсем не скользят, создают барьер между телом и холодным полом. Disadvantages - relatively rapid wear compared with products made of artificial materials, as well as a lot of weight.
- PVC - the second most popular material for floor mats, known as "foam". The wear is insignificant even with intensive loads and regular training, the weight is small, the price is affordable - these are the main advantages of PVC. On the other hand, the foam in case of violation of the upper layer absorbs dust into the bubbles, which is not easy to clean. With proper handling and storage, the problem rarely occurs. It is not easy to straighten the mat, if it is stored in a twisted form.
- Thermoplastic elastomer (TPE) - This is the best option for a peaceful yoga. Rugs roll out and do not tend to roll up again into a roll, create an optimal grip with any floor covering, pleasant to the touch.
- Cotton It is also used as a material for a rug, but its bottom is rubberized to eliminate the sliding effect. Softness and comfort - the main advantages of the product, which is suitable for yoga, including children.
- Bung It has excellent absorbency - the sweat on such a rug will not settle on the slippery layer under the body, but will be absorbed into the pores of a natural or artificial material. The product has a minimum coefficient of thermal conductivity - suitable for occupations on a cold floor, but to minimize slip on the base is covered with rubber.
- Jute From the point of view of environmental friendliness and practicality, it is ideal - the fiber does not slide on the floor, it has optimum softness, it is basically natural. Jute mat is ideal for experienced practitioners of yoga.
Size and weight
- In yoga, a lot of asanas in the prone position. Accordingly, the length of the rug should not be less than a person's height + 10-15 cm for stock. For fitness, it makes sense to buy a mat up to 220 cm for the freedom of active movements.
- The width of the canvas for most standard - 60 ± 2-3 cm. The thickness varies from 3-10 mm (maybe more). This issue takes into account the experience of the student - beginners often fall, the body is not ready for a hard surface, it is advisable to choose 4-6 mm, experienced students and instructors can use 3 mm canvas.
- The mass of the product depends on the size of the canvas and the material of manufacture. The choice should be made according to the weight of the trainee. Optimum calculation: up to 60 kg of weight - product 1.5 kg. It is also important to take into account the intensity of the workout: for yoga the canvas is easier than for fitness.
In the matter of the choice of rigidity, experts recommend relying on their own preferences. Observed trend: for yoga - softer, for fitness - harder.
Carpet stiffness is indicated on each product:
- Hab mats - the most rigid canvases,
- Workout mats is medium hardness with optimal shock absorption,
- Mind body - ideal from the point of view of products for rigidity, universal.
Facilitate the choice of marketing helps in many sporting goods stores: departments of fitness equipment and yoga are already equipped with carpets of suitable materials.
Now we offer to get acquainted with the best training mats from the point of view of experienced coaches and sports enthusiasts.
How to choose a good mat for yoga or fitness? Having picked up an optimal basis for occupations, a person easily gets rid of uncomfortable sensations. Choosing the right mat makes classes more effective, there is no need to be distracted by annoying factors.
The main requirements for the product are:
- Softness - the mat should contribute to a comfortable work, maintain the body. Hands, legs and back should not feel excessive rigidity from the floor, the product when performing exercises gives a shock-absorbing effect.
- Moisture absorption - when playing sports, it is common for a person to sweat. Such quality as absorbability allows you to avoid sliding the body along the product.
- Non-slip - a sports mat for fitness can be used on any surface, including tile, linoleum, laminate. When touching the floor, the product should not slip, otherwise it threatens to cause injury.
- The minimum stretching - if the mat is stretched strongly, then during the classes there is a risk of injury.
- Easy to clean - it is advisable to select such products that can be washed with plain water and soap.
- Minimum weight - the rug should be light for constant transport and carrying.
In addition to the basic qualities of the product, before choosing a fitness mat, it is worth deciding what type of exercise it is needed for. If you plan to purchase for swing press, it is preferable to be short and tight mat.
When performing an extensive type of exercise, longer items up to 220 cm are selected. The Reebok fitness mat and other well-known brands are available in lengths up to 173 cm. These sizes are universal for a number of occupations.
If the workout includes dynamic exercises, then the choice should be stopped on longer items. The calculation is made in accordance with the height of the person. Ordinary occupations require products 10 cm higher than height. For dynamic activities, mats are selected more than 20-30 cm in height.
The width of the product is usually 60 or 80 cm. For the best practice, a larger mat. But the choice of its width often depends on the need for transportation.
The mat with a width of 60 cm is more compact, its transportation will be more comfortable. For classes at home, you can safely choose the widest copy.
The choice of product thickness depends on the experience of the trainee. Beginners are recommended to use materials with 8 mm.
Professional classes can be performed on products with a thickness of 1.5 to 5 mm. Torneo fitness mat presents its range for more advanced workouts.
All materials of which mats are made, are divided into artificial and natural.
The first group includes PVC products. This is a popular budget rug. The positive side of this material can be attributed to a good surface, which allows you to perform the most complex elements. The minus of the product is in the light slip, as well as the fragility - the rug will last no more than 2 years.
Thermoplastic elastomer floor mats are represented on the market of sporting goods in a large price range. The material combines the main advantages of rubber and plastic products. Rugs for fitness soft, perfectly retain their shape. The product is not exposed to sunlight and high temperatures.
Natural products include rubber goods. The thickness of the rug is greater than that of synthetic materials. Products are environmentally friendly, do not cause irritation and allergic reactions. A minus of such rugs in their big weight.
Jute mats are made from plants grown in India and China. Products has a lighter weight. The material absorbs moisture, has a small degree of slip.
For yoga, cotton mats are often used. Such products are environmentally friendly, convenient to use for Eastern practices.
When choosing a rug worth a lot of attention paid to its convenience. It must be remembered that the comfort and safety of the exercises depends on the product. It is important that the fitness mat can be cleaned with your own hands. The use of any special cleaning agents makes it much more difficult to care for the product.
If the mat is supposed to be constantly transported, then when choosing it is better to stop paying attention to products with a cover and special straps. This will facilitate the process of carrying or carrying the mat.
Basic rules for choosing a rug
- The correct gymnastic mat should not slide over the floor and stretch - good mats are always reinforced (equipped with an inner frame of mylar threads), which, by the way, makes them much stronger.
- The rug should be made of quality materials, which is usually confirmed by the relevant certificates.
- Be sure to check the rug before the purchase of "stickiness": first, it should not slide on the floor, no matter how active you are on it or moved. This is a guarantee of your safety during intensive training or yoga practice. Secondly, your hands should not slide on the mat. Usually a good mat has two different sides: one for engaging the floor, the other for engaging the hands.
- Ideally, the rug should be symmetrical, without rounded corners - a regular rectangle.
- The optimal length of the rug is your height plus 10-15 cm, although for more intensive workouts and practices a mat 220 cm long will be more suitable.
- Think about whether you will travel with a rug. If so, then you will need special, lightweight options - such, for example, are often labeled as Travel Mat.
- Some practitioners use special extra towels that are placed on top of the mat for fitness: so the hands slip less, and the mat gets less dirty. However, if you are ready to buy a pad with antibacterial impregnation or regularly wash it, you have nothing to fear.
- Sliding hands on a rug is a common problem, even on rugs made of the finest materials. With experience, this passes, but for now just take a small towel with you to class and put it under your hands.
- Do not choose a rug that is too wide: it is inconvenient to carry and is simply not needed.
- Do not confuse mats for sports and travel mats, these are completely different things. The so-called tourist foam is designed to protect from the cold, it slips and does not repel moisture. This is at least uncomfortable, but, even worse, traumatic.
- Color is also important, because your eyes will often be on the mat. So choose the shade that will please you not only on the first day.