Toothpaste is an effective tool that helps avoid the occurrence of dental pathologies. It is used only with a brush and allows you to keep your teeth in excellent condition. But these drugs, widely publicized, have in their composition of harmful chemicals. To avoid health problems, it is better to use natural toothpaste, which cleans the enamel well and does not harm the teeth and gums.
Features of the production of hygiene products
How to make toothpaste? First of all, the enterprise carries out mechanical cleaning of tap water, then it is ozonated for the purpose of disinfection. To ozone could not get into the means for cleaning the oral cavity, it is destroyed by ultraviolet rays.
After that, the base for the toothpaste is made in special reactors, which consists of a humidifier, a thickener, water and an abrasive. Prepare it at a temperature of 40 degrees, otherwise the tool will stratify. The jelly-like mass is mixed during cooking by a special mixer in the reactor.
Then the mixture is poured into temporarily used containers. The production of toothpaste is completed by laboratory research. It must be checked for density, odor, viscosity and color, acid-base balance and microbiological indicators. Such analyzes last for 3 days, and if everything is in order, the product is sent for packaging.
Varieties of drugs
Different types of toothpastes can be divided according to the method of use and purpose. There are two large groups - medical and hygiene. The latest hygiene products can be used to clean the mouth every day without the risk of damage to the mucous membrane and enamel. But preventive pastes include more subtypes that are used in dentistry to prevent and treat diseases of hard tissues and periodontal disease.
Classification of preventive hygiene products
The types of toothpastes of this orientation are as follows:
- Anti-inflammatory. Such tools have a complex composition, including herbal extracts. They can be used to clean enamel in case of periodontal disease at the time of therapy.
- Anti-caries with fluorine. These preparations can be combined with hygienic pastes.
- Bleaching and highly abrasive agents that prevent the appearance of plaque.
- Antifungal. These preparations for oral hygiene are commonly used for candidal stomatitis.
- Means for cleaning crowns with increased sensitivity.
- Preventive toothpastes with antimicrobial action. They are needed only for temporary use in the fight against stomatitis.
Even manufacturers produce special toothpastes for cleaning teeth, which are used to treat the oral cavity. This product is also effective in preventing plaque formation.
What make toothpaste?
Its main components are flavors, abrasives, moisturizers, fluorine and foaming agents. Abrasives play an important role in the paste, since it is thanks to them that the enamel is cleaned. The most common of them are compounds of aluminum, calcium carbonate and silica. Such materials are added to a paste to clean the surface of the teeth without damaging the enamel.
Moisturizers in oral hygiene products are used to preserve moisture and maintain texture. Sorbitol, which is also a flavoring agent, and glycerin can be found in virtually every toothpaste. Thanks to these components, the drug gets a smooth gel consistency when extruded from a tube.
Detergents (foaming agents) act as a surface-active component, helping to clean the tooth enamel, in addition, they contribute to foaming. In the composition of conventional pastes most often found such a detergent, as sodium lauryl sulfate.
Fluoride, which is present in many products, reduces the likelihood of caries development and strengthens enamel. Even in toothpastes add flavors, as well as artificial sweeteners, so that they have a pleasant taste and appearance.
What is contained in baby pasta?
Before you learn how to make toothpaste for small consumers, parents should remember that it is necessary to clean the milk teeth from the moment of their eruption. At first it is necessary to do this simply with a baby brush, without using any hygiene products. Every day, the baby should be cleaned with a piece of sterile bandage. Only two years old allowed to clean them with a special paste for children.
Today, many manufacturers add harmful substances to children's products, so you should always check before buying what it consists of. The composition of children's toothpastes may include such hazardous ingredients:
- Sodium lauryl sulfate. It is used to improve the foaming of the agent, but such a substance irritates the mucous membrane of the mouth and dries the skin, which can cause numerous cracks.
- Saccharin. Such a substance is added to the paste, so that small consumers are more willing to brush their teeth. However, if the maximum permissible dose is exceeded, this element becomes a carcinogen hazardous to health.
- Artificial dyes that can cause an allergic reaction.
- Chlorhexidine. This antibacterial ingredient destroys not only pathogens in the mouth, but also the natural microflora.
Moreover, it must be remembered that toothpaste, which is intended for adults, is not suitable for babies. They have quite often the taste of such a means triggered gag reflex. That is why neutral or fruit flavors are used to create children's hygiene products.
How to make toothpaste from natural ingredients?
Substances of plant origin, present in the jelly-like mass for cleaning incisors and molars, have a beneficial effect on the gums and the entire oral cavity.
Natural toothpaste does not contain in its composition preservatives and dyes, which during cleaning destroy enamel. Such drugs, consisting of extracts of herbs and plants, have the following healing effects:
- make the breath fresh
- have anti-inflammatory effects,
- whiten teeth, eliminating even traces of cigarettes and coffee,
- prevent the reproduction of pathogenic microorganisms in the mouth,
- perfectly clean plaque.
True, natural pastes foam poorly, unlike conventional means, so their teeth should be cleaned more carefully.
The composition of hygiene products with herbal extracts
Natural toothpaste is usually made from plant extracts. Manufacturers introduce such components in order to improve the composition and quality of products.
Of these ingredients is green toothpaste. The color of the product indicates that it contains only natural elements. Most often, it contains bromelain, which is an element of plant origin, present in pineapples. It helps reduce gum inflammation and swelling, kills bacteria, and has protective properties.
Even in natural paste often add licorice extract, which has a strong anti-inflammatory effect. Typically, this plant is part of the means intended to eliminate bleeding gums and tooth sensitivity. In addition to basic herbal remedies, pasta may contain extracts of essential oils, for example cloves, peppermint or marjoram.
Means for cleaning teeth with plant and chemicals
Consider also how to make a combined type of toothpaste. Such drugs combine the effective action of chemical components and the beneficial properties of natural substances. They are usually referred to the group of treatment-and-prophylactic pastes that allow to remove plaque, restore enamel, relieve sensitivity, protect the mucous membrane and teeth from harmful fungi and bacteria. In addition, the combined paste prevents the development of caries.
Today, in addition to natural extracts of herbs, they have begun to add components that increase the mineralization of enamel and have antiseptic, anti-inflammatory and anti-carious properties.
Manufacturers of toothpaste "Colgate Healing Herbs" have introduced into its composition substances that remove deposits of stones, freshen breath and strengthen enamel. Medicinal plants present in it, prevent the development of inflammatory processes in the mouth.
Pasta Lacalut White is in great demand among consumers. This prophylactic agent is intended for teeth whitening. Its composition contains microscopic particles that polish enamel and remove plaque from its surface.
No less popular means is Paradontax. This paste is a medical product that helps get rid of bleeding gums. It contains plant extracts and minerals.
Not bad Blendamed 3D White toothpaste has proven itself. It is used to lighten enamel into several tones. This tool contains whitening microparticles that are able to penetrate even into hard-to-reach places. Another component is an antibacterial substance that is responsible for the destruction of bacteria that provoke the development of caries and other diseases of the oral cavity.
Splat Biocalcium paste contains hydroxyapatite, which is the building component of dentin derived from the shell of eggs, as well as bioactive calcium. These elements make the enamel more durable and reduce tooth sensitivity after a few days of regular use. A natural enzyme papain in the composition of this product prevents the formation of stone and plaque.
A few tips on choosing a means for cleaning teeth
Pastes differ in a variety of substances that are included in their composition. The purpose of each component is not always known even to qualified dentists, but you should definitely pay attention to some of the ingredients when you buy:
- Fluorides. They should be contained in the paste for adults not more than 0.1-0.6%. Of course, for children, this figure should be twice as low as they can swallow the agent.
- Parabens. Drugs with this component can not be used for people suffering from allergies.
- The optimal value of abrasiveness in the paste - 70-80 RDA. And for sensitive teeth should pick up tools with an even smaller figure.
The presence of the remaining ingredients manufacturers prefer not to indicate, because it is a trade secret. But you can not worry about their health, as in the pastes sold in the pharmacy, there are no harmful substances.
Oral care is an indispensable procedure necessary to eradicate germs and prevent dental diseases. To brush your teeth more effectively, you need to choose a paste with all its properties and characteristics.
Why homemade toothpaste is better
Regular toothpaste contains ingredients that are harmful or even toxic to our body and can actually interfere with maintaining a healthy mouth and teeth. Here are just some of the components of such toothpastes.
Sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS). This substance is known as a detergent and is present in many hygiene products. That it foams the paste when cleaning. It can cause skin irritation, peeling, ulceration and many other problems.
Triclosan. It belongs to antibacterial and antifungal agents and was first registered as a pesticide. In a study on rats, it was found that it can not only cause skin irritation, but also affect hormones.
Glycerol. It is not considered harmful. It is a by-product in the manufacture of soap. But his presence in the composition of strengthening toothpaste during cleaning covers the enamel with a thin film and prevents mineralization. This film can change the microbiome in the mouth.
Fluorine. Fluorine can be toxic even if not swallowed. That is why it is not in children's toothpastes.
Titanium dioxide. It gives white color to the paste. Although considered potentially safe, but extensive research on its effects on the body has not been conducted.
Abrasive ingredients. They can make the teeth more sensitive to changes in temperature or taste, which in turn leads to increased erosion of the tooth enamel.
These are just some of the ingredients in the paste. It can contain various synthetic fragrances, dyes and other substances. Some artificial dyes are associated by scientists with the risk of developing hyperactivity in children.
What is useful homemade toothpaste
One of the main beneficial properties of homemade toothpaste is that you know exactly, what ingredients in it. Therefore, you no longer need to worry about the naturalness of toothpaste. Fortunately, most personal care products are easy to make.
Dental remineralizing paste, the recipes of which will be given below, allow you to avoid sensitive teeth to cold or hot. Tooth enamel will begin to recover.
They have components that help whiten teeth, make the breath more fresh. The condition of the gums will also improve.
What ingredients are suitable for homemade toothpaste
Coconut oil. Coconut oil promotes the growth of beneficial microflora in the intestines, which in turn can prevent the development of candidiasis. In toothpaste, it can serve as a binding component.
Vitamins. The complex of vitamins helps strengthen the teeth.
Ground cocoa beans. It may seem strange, but chocolate paste could be perfect for brushing your teeth. Cocoa beans contain components that promote remineralization better than fluoride. Also safer. Depending on the degree of grinding, they can be a good abrasive agent.
Bentonite clay. Bentonite clay is rich in minerals that are necessary for teeth. It creates an alkaline environment in the mouth, which prevents the growth of bacteria.
Bicarbonate of soda. Baking soda also helps create an alkaline environment in the mouth. Our teeth and mouth are constantly exposed to acid, which is found in food. Neutralization is necessary to maintain the desired pH in the mouth.
Sea or Himalayan salt. Sea salt is not often used in store spreads. Its alkaline properties make it a useful additive.
Turmeric. Turmeric has whitening properties, fights gingivitis. In India, it has been used in traditional medicine for thousands of years. Possesses reminalizing properties.
Activated carbon. Recently, it has become one of the main ingredients in many care and hygiene products. It has many useful properties, including bleaching.
Calcium and magnesium powder. These are the two main components of tooth enamel. They can be bought as supplements. These elements are contained in many spices.
Xylitol. It is necessary in the paste to reduce bacteria that contribute to the appearance of erosion on the enamel. It does not need to add a lot. Yet it is a sweetener.
It can be replaced with stevia or other sweeteners. These ingredients are not required in homemade pasta.
Herbs and spices such as cloves, mint, and cinnamon have a pleasant taste. They can serve as an abrasive ingredient, promote remineralization.
The following ingredients should not be present as part of homemade toothpaste or kept in minimal amounts.
Ingredients with a sour taste. The composition of the tooth enamel is such that it resists the action of acids. Unfortunately, the teeth are under constant attack of acids. Frequent snacks, the use of refined products, etc., all this has an adverse effect on the teeth and their protective coating.
Hydrogen peroxide. Peroxide is often used in bleaching products. But in toothpaste it is superfluous. It is often recommended for teeth whitening. But for this it needs to be kept on the teeth in the form of applications for a long time. To perform such functions in the paste and obtain a whitening effect, it simply does not have time.
Essential oils are present in many recipes. They have antibacterial properties. But we do not need to kill all the bacteria. Therefore, if they are in the composition of homemade toothpastes, then their number should be minimal.
It should be noted that most components of homemade pasta do not have a pleasant taste. At best, they are neutral. Many, before adding to the composition of the paste, you need to grind or buy in a powdered state.
After preparing all the ingredients, they are mixed in a bowl. Adding water or oil helps to get the texture you need.
Don't be afraid to experiment to get the right texture and taste.
How to make toothpaste do-it-yourself recipes
Here are recipes for ordinary toothpaste, remineralizing and whitening. Choose the recipe you like most or depending on what effect pasta is needed at the moment. Make your own toothpaste and avoid store containing various chemicals. Moreover, it is very simple.
Эрозия или истончение зубной эмали является довольно распространенным явлением. Питание является основным фактором крепких зубов. Есть много продуктов, которые могут помочь остановить эрозию зубной эмали, укрепить и восстановить. The use of remineralizing toothpaste can speed up this process and protect the teeth from subsequent destruction.
This group of homemade toothpaste recipes will help strengthen and stop the breakdown of tooth enamel and teeth.
5 tablespoons of calcium carbonate (powder)
3 tablespoons chopped activated carbon
2 tablespoons of baking soda
3 tablespoons of xylitol (optional. It will just add flavor and reduce bitterness)
3-5 tablespoons of coconut oil
20-40 drops of liquid minerals (colloid)
For aroma and extra flavor, you can add essential oils, such as cloves, cinnamon, orange.
How to make toothpaste
Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl (calcium, baking soda, xylitol).
Add a tablespoon of coconut oil (not melted) and mix. Then add more. Gradual addition is needed in order to accurately determine the consistency that you need.
Add liquid trace elements and essential oils for flavoring.
Put in a container or a jar with a lid. For convenience of drawing on a toothbrush use a stick.
This is a simpler recipe and is designed for one application. To make toothpaste, mix 1 teaspoon of baking soda with half a teaspoon of ground sea salt.
Add 1 drop each of peppermint essential oil, cloves and a few drops of water. Stir.
The overall taste of homemade toothpaste is very different from the store. But it can be corrected.
Note that coconut oil melts at a high temperature (from +25 degrees), which can affect the texture. Therefore, keep it in the refrigerator.
2 tablespoons bentonite clay
4 tablespoons coconut oil
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
1 tablespoon xylitol powder
3 drops clove essential oil
3 drops vanilla essential oil
3 drops of cinnamon essential oil
Combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly. Transfer to a jar and store in the refrigerator.
2 tablespoons bentonite clay
5 tablespoons of coconut oil
1 tablespoon of guar gum
1 tablespoon calcium powder
1 tablespoon magnesium powder
1 tablespoon xylitol powder
20 drops of your favorite essential oil
Connect all dry ingredients first. Gradually add the oil, mixing well. At the very end add essential oil (or a mixture of oils).
Although the tone of enamel is largely dependent on heredity and other factors, many want to whiten it.
These toothpastes are designed to remove stains and whiten tooth enamel. Some of them may be more rigid and contain many abrasive components. Limit their use to a couple of times a week.
2 tablespoons bentonite clay
4 tablespoons coconut oil
1 tablespoon xylitol
1 teaspoon Himalayan Pink Salt
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon of various spices (cinnamon, cloves, ginger, etc. in powder)
15 drops of any essential oil
3 tablespoons bentonite clay
4 tablespoons coconut oil
1 tablespoon activated carbon (powdered)
1 tablespoon liquid stevia
15 drops of essential oil
As part of these recipes there are only one or two necessary components. The rest are used for breeding and creating the necessary texture, taste and aroma.
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 drop of essential oil
Few drops of water
Mix all the ingredients. The composition is designed for one use.
1 tablespoon of baking soda
1 tablespoon pink Himalayan salt
3 drops of essential oil
2 tablespoons of baking soda
2 tablespoons of coke oil
10 drops of essential oil
Which recipe to choose, you decide. Home-made toothpastes in their effectiveness are not inferior purchased. They are eco-friendly and safe. The toothpaste you use can have a huge impact not only on your teeth, but also on your overall health.
Benefits of Natural Ingredients
Most herbalists and dentists assert with confidence that it will be much more beneficial to health if you allocate 20-30 minutes of free time for the manufacture of toothpaste using natural ingredients. If you properly observe the proportions and follow the instructions for use, then when you take care of your gums and teeth, you can achieve no worse effect than using store products.
The main advantages of home remedies include the following points.
- Low cost. Buying all the necessary ingredients for cooking pasta will not hit the family budget. You can easily get everything you need in the nearest store or pharmacy.
- The composition of the shop toothpaste includes various synthetic substances, because of which there is foam. Home remedy consists solely of natural ingredients.
- Reduces the likelihood of damage to the upper layer of tooth enamel, in contrast to store preparations that contain strong abrasives.
Natural toothpaste does not contain strong abrasives
Natural paste pleasantly freshens breath
Surface active substances (or surfactants) are harmful chemical components that make up the majority of cleaning products. Their presence greatly enhances the action of a particular remedy. Regular exposure to surfactants on human skin destroys the protective layer of fat, as a result of which the body becomes more vulnerable to external factors.
Adding natural soap to the composition of homemade toothpaste prevents its quick drying, and glycerin reduces the effects of hard substances and gives the liquid a thick consistency, making it homogeneous. It is only necessary to add all the components in the recommended amount.
Taking care of your teeth with your hands - making toothpaste
How does homemade toothpaste
To make homemade toothpaste, most often use the following components:
- baking soda. It is used as a weak abrasive material that is able to clean the tooth surface well from plaque. Also, soda has an antibacterial effect,
Teeth cleaning with home toothpaste
Recipe No1. With bentonite clay
Step 1. To prepare this unusual paste you need to prepare everything you need. First of all, we need bentonite clay used in dental practice for remineralization of the dentition. You will need 15 drops of peppermint, 2 tbsp. l clean water, 5 g of crushed sea salt, 1 tsp. stevia, as well as bentonite itself - 3-4 tbsp. l All the ingredients without any problems can be bought at any pharmacy.
Preparation of all necessary
Step 2. In addition to the ingredients, you also need to take care of containers. It is advisable to use a plastic bowl, since the contact of metal with clay can have unpleasant consequences. Use a metal fork for mixing.
Preparation of bowls, jars and forks
Step 3. All collected ingredients must be mixed in one dish. When mixing, you need to follow a certain sequence: first add the dry ingredients, and then one at a time start adding liquid.
Step 4. To store cooked toothpaste, use a small glass jar. When brushing your teeth, just soak a brush in the jar. Or take a teaspoon, which then apply a little paste on a toothbrush. Instead of a jar, you can also take a plastic container.
Ready toothpaste will be stored in a small jar
Recipe No2. With glycerin
Unlike the previous recipe, this one has an increased complexity, since heat treatment is needed to make toothpaste. In the process of heating the liquid must be constantly stirred. Otherwise, the paste may be damaged due to overheating.
Looking for the following ingredients:
- essential oil (not more than 5 drops). You can use peppermint, lemon or clove oil - it all depends on your preference,
- filtered water (7 tbsp. l.),
- guar gum (4 tsp.),
- baking soda (3 tbsp. l.),
- glycerin (1.5 tsp.). If desired, you can use vegetable glycerin. You can find it in any of the pharmacies in your city. In addition, vegetable glycerin is more harmless to the teeth.
Preparing everything you need, you can start cooking pasta. To do this, mix all ingredients in the enamel bowl (except for essential oils) and set on low heat. Stir the mixture constantly until it becomes pasty. Then add essential oils. Mix thoroughly, pour the finished product into a glass jar and tightly close it with a lid.
How to make toothpaste with glycerin
You can experiment a bit with the ingredients and create a unique paste that will best deal with plaque. For example, some instead of distilled water add some vodka to the paste. Such a replacement can increase the shelf life of the finished product. In addition, to enhance the abrasive qualities, you can add a little crushed activated carbon, but it is necessary to adjust the recipe to preserve the desired texture.
Making toothpaste is pretty simple. The only problem you may encounter is the purchase of certain ingredients. To do this, you can visit a specialized store that sells homemade soap or products for the preparation of cosmetics. Having spent a little free time, you can improve this recipe, replacing this or that component. The same can be done with other recipes for home cosmetics.
Sample finished toothpaste
The content of the article
- Natural toothpaste: do it yourself
- How to make a healthy dessert for teeth
- How to whiten your teeth yourself
Brushing your teeth twice a day contributes to the fact that through the mucous membrane of the mouth in the human body along with toothpaste gets a lot of questionable substances.
Disputes about the toxicity of sulphates - cheap blowing agents, have been shaking the Internet for a long time, so everyone will have to decide for themselves whether to use products with this substance.
The same applies to the synthetic antibiotic triclosan, which suppresses both pathogenic and useful microflora, elevated levels of fluorine and its salts, preservatives of varying degrees of power, flavors and dyes.
But for those who prefer the use of natural cosmetics and hygiene products, simple and low-cost recipes of safe toothpaste are available, which can be given to children, used by people with sensitive enamel, problem gums.
Natural toothpaste for sensitive teeth
To prepare a paste that will gently and gently clean the teeth, will reduce the bleeding of the gums and refresh the mouth, you need to mix the following ingredients:
- 5 tbsp. cosmetic blue or white clay,
- 4 tbsp. glycerol,
- 5-8 drops of clove essential oil,
- 7-10 drops of mint essential oil,
- 5-10 drops of propolis on alcohol-free basis,
- 20-25 drops of myrrh's essential oil.
All ingredients are thoroughly mixed to obtain a homogeneous mass, stored in a glass vessel with a tight-fitting lid.
Herbal Tooth Powder
Brushing your teeth with chalk-based powder is recommended no more than 1-2 times a week, since chalk is an abrasive and with prolonged use can damage tooth enamel.
However, the powder based on shredded medicinal herbs is suitable for daily use with the only limitation: it is recommended to refrain from eating 30-60 minutes after brushing your teeth.
For the preparation of herbal powder, mix 2 parts of finely chopped calamus root, 2 parts of calgan (Eurasian speckled) and 1 part of birch bark.
All ingredients are crushed with a wooden or ceramic pestle, diluted with lukewarm water until a creamy mass is obtained.
If desired, the teeth can be cleaned with just a powder of herbs, without adding water, but it is technically more convenient to use a thick mixture in the form of a paste.
A simple paste that not only cleans the teeth from plaque and refreshes breath, but also eliminates the inflammation of the gums, consists of a mixture of ordinary baking soda - 0.5 tsp, 10-15 drops of hydrogen peroxide and 5-6 drops of lemon or lemon essential oils.
All the ingredients are mixed, a cotton swab is dipped into the resulting paste, and the teeth and gums are rubbed with a mixture of both the outer and the inner side, after which the mouth is rinsed thoroughly.
It should be remembered that the frequent use of soda can damage the tooth enamel, so it is not recommended to use this method of bleaching more often than once a week.
In addition, this method should be avoided by people with thinned enamel and children under 12 years.
For the preparation of pasta will need 40-60 g of white clay, 1 tsp. stevia powder, which is mixed with a small amount of pure warm water until a homogeneous mass.
2 drops of chamomile and sage essential oil are added to the mixture, and 5-7 drops of water-based propolis with bleeding gums.
Paste is mixed, stored in a glass vessel under a tight lid. If the child is not allergic to bee products, stevia powder can be replaced with 0.5 tsp. spoon of natural honey.
The composition of natural toothpaste
If you made toothpaste at home, then there will be no questions about its composition. But how to determine the naturalness of the purchased product? Make it pretty simple. Just need to thoroughly examine its components. Do not rush to the bright packaging or advertising hidden on it. Most importantly - its integral products, which when brushing your teeth, you feed your body.
The composition of natural toothpaste should include substances of natural origin that are understandable to you. These include:
- Essential oils.
- Herbal extracts.
- Coconut oil.
- Sea salt.
- Clay and others.
Natural Dental Products can be presented in two forms:
In tooth natural powder all components are presented in their original form. But it is not easy for everyone to use. And he can harm enamel tooth due to its hardness.
The paste, in turn, is softer and more comfortable to use. But almost all natural toothpastes natural ingredients contain from 95 to 99%.
It is very important to keep in mind that in commercially available pastes there are often ingredients with complex names, which are made from natural ingredients, but during processing they undergo complex chemical processes such as pressure, hydrolysis, heating, evaporation, and others. There is no benefit or harm to such substances.. Therefore, do not be afraidseeing them as part of the means for the teeth.
Such substances include the following:
- Sodium silicate. It makes a homogeneous structure. This substance is a salt of silicic acid and is very widespread in nature. Serves as a food additive.
- Maltodextrin. Serves as a paste binder. It is used as a food additive and is the product of starch hydrolysis.
- Potassium sorbate. It is a preservative and is obtained by neutralization of sorbic acid, which is contained in the rowan juice.
- Sodium benzoate is a preservative. It is used as a food additive. In small quantities is in mustard, cloves, cinnamon, cranberries, raisins, apples.
- Sodium citrate. Regulates the pH. It is obtained by neutralization of citric acid with a source of sodium.
- Zinc citrate. Slows down speed of hardening of a raid. This trace element is contained in the human body.
- Xanthan gum. Serves as a thickener. Produced by fermentation of sugar syrup.
- Sorbitol. Serves as a sweetener. It is produced from algae, berries and leaves of apples, pears, plums, cherries, and mountain ash.
- Xylitol Sweetener. It is found in birch bark, corn cobs, fibrous fruits and vegetables.
- Organic vegetable glycerin. It acts as a connecting element. It is obtained by hydrolysis of vegetable oils.
- Silicon oxide. Removes plaque. Due to lower abrasiveness, calcium carbonate is used instead.
In addition to these harmless components, the composition of the purchase of pastes includes at least 1 substance, which has a non-natural origin, and therefore its harmlessness is questionable.
List of substances of non-natural origin
There is a certain list of substances that can bring some harm to your health. We will give it below:
- Sodium lauryl sarcosyate. It belongs to the class A-surfactants. It is more gentle than sodium lauryl sulfate. It is less harmful to human health. Eco-friendly, as it decomposes easily and quickly.
- Cocamidopropyl betaine. He paste gives foam and thickness, is made from coconut oil fatty acids. It is an anionic surfactant, but softer than sodium lauryl sulfate used in mass market pastes. Inflammation of the oral mucosa and the appearance of an allergic reaction (itching, peeling, irritation of the skin and other reactions) is possible.
- Titanium dioxide. Serves as a clarifier, giving super white color to toothpastes. It is considered to be absolutely harmless. This is due to the fact that it is easily eliminated from the human body and is not absorbed by the walls of the digestive tract.
- Saccharin. It is a synthetic sweetener that cannot be absorbed by the human body. Эта пищевая добавка одобрена в ЕС, РФ и США.
- Натрий карбоксиметилцеллюлоза. Этот стабилизатор получают из соды и целлюлозы. Добавка пищевая, которая разрешена для добавления в детское питание. Separate studies have shown that this substance can cause an increase in cholesterol, an upset stomach, skin irritation and an allergic reaction. But these facts have not been proven, and consequently, the permissible rate for human health has not been established either.
- An alternative to healthier components such as sodium lauryl sarcosinate and cocamidopropyl betaine are the so-called glucosides (decyl glucoside and coco glucoside. These are soft A-surfactants made from glucose and coconut.
Ideally, all these substances should not be in your dental care product. This is due to their negative impact on the human body. But these ingredients are not the worst in the world. Pastes sold in supermarkets also contain more toxic substances.
What substances in natural toothpaste should not exist
The fact is that there are substances that are strictly prohibited for human consumption and use. But there are suchwhich must be present in the composition of the care of the oral cavity.
Such substances are strictly prohibited:
- Titanium dioxide.
- Lactate and aluminum compounds.
- Triclosan and other antibiotics.
- Sodium cocosulfate.
- Sodium lauryl sulfate.
The following components should be treated with caution:
- Decyl glucoside.
- Coco Glucoside.
- Sodium lauryl sarcosinate.
- Cocamidopropyl betaine.
- Sodium carboxymethylcellulose.
Can be used in natural toothpastes, but without fanaticism such substances:
- Vegetable glycerin.
- Sodium silicate.
- Potassium sorbate.
- Sodium benzoate.
- Sodium citrate.
- Zinc citrate.
- Xanthan gum.
In natural toothpastes must be present:
- Coconut oil.
- Extracts and powders of herbs.
- Essential oils.
- Sea salt.
- Silicon (oxide).
- Calcium carbonate.
- Baking soda.
- Clay (bentonite, koalin).
How to make toothpaste at home
This natural paste does not contain any chemicals harmful to human health and has a pleasant aroma. Keep it recommended in sealed packaging.
For the preparation of natural tooth paste at home you will need these products:
- Coconut oil - 1 teaspoon.
- Tea tree oil - 6 drops (you can use mint instead).
- Baking soda - 2 teaspoons.
- Sea salt - 1 pinch.
- Fennel powder - 1 pinch.
- Cinnamon - 1 pinch.
Preparation consists of the following stages:
- Combine all the ingredients listed in the recipe, except coconut tree oil and mix them well.
- Coconut oil is added before each use. Only then can it be applied.
Recipe number 2 - budget
This mixture will eliminate the unpleasant smell from the mouth and plaque. And also it has a whitening effect.
In order to at home to prepare such a tool, you will need such substances:
- Water-based propolis - 5 - 10 drops.
- Chamomile essential oil - 2 drops.
- Sage essential oil - 2 drops.
- Honey - 1 tsp.
- White clay - 70 grams.
- Mix the clay and water so as to form a pasty state.
- Add to the mixture of propolis.
- In honey, enter the essential oils of sage and chamomile.
- Combine all substances and mix well until smooth. After that, the paste is ready for use.
Store this mixture only in a sealed package.
For its preparation you will need stock the following products:
- Glycerin - 2 teaspoons.
- White clay - 0.5 tsp.
- Myrrh powder - 1/2 tsp (it can be replaced with licorice or bamboo powder).
- Baking soda - 2 teaspoons.
- Chopped sea salt - 0.5 teaspoons.
- Mint leaves - 3-4 pieces.
- Essential oil (sweet mint, orange, lemon, rosemary) - 10 - 30 drops.
Preparation consists of mixing and thorough mixing of all prepared products.
This paste is a bit complicated. in preparation and its composition is very interesting. You will need the following components:
- Birch bark powder - 1 part.
- Air powder - 2 parts.
- Powder erect Potentilla - 2 parts.
All of these ingredients can be purchased at a herbal pharmacy. To make this mixture You should mix all the substances in the proportions indicated in the recipe, add a little warm water to them and mix everything thoroughly until a creamy thick consistency is formed.
But in the application of such a natural toothpaste there is one small nuance: one cannot eat food for 60 minutes after brushing the teeth.
Tips for making toothpaste
- Teeth will feel much better if after each meal rinse the mouth with broth of thyme or oak bark. You can still just chew a clove.
- If you want to whiten your teeth, then citric acid will help you. If you rinse her teeth, you should not brush your teeth for 60 minutes.
- Another way to whiten teeth is rinsing with salt water.
- But baking soda, as an additive to the means for the care of teeth, it is advised to add only 1 time in 7 days. All other days it is recommended not to apply it. With daily use of soda only harm the health of your teeth. According to dentists, the abrasive does bleach the tooth enamel, but this happens only because it cleans only the top layer.
What is the use of plants
- Peppermint - perfectly relieves pain from caries and reduces inflammation. It also adds freshness to human breathing.
- Tea tree - eliminates the inflammation of the gums and eliminates tooth decay.
- Thyme - well destroys all bacteria that are in the human oral cavity.
- Rosemary - improves blood circulation.
- Sage - eliminates bleeding gums.
- Cloves used in natural toothpastes, which are made at home, perfectly soothes toothache.
Teeth care products
- Lemon - if you rub your teeth from time to time, then it whitens them.
- Small wood charcoal - helps from blackened teeth, especially smokers.
- Iris root, cut into small slices and dried in the oven - also whitens the smoker’s blackened teeth.
- Horsetail, which was collected on a wet place will help you from caries. It is dried and ground into flour, and after this powder, teeth are brushed.
- Activated carbon. It is ground and used as a disinfectant.
- Thyme leaves are finely ground, and after that they brush their teeth with this powder.
- Large sea salt. In it the brush which you will carry out cleaning later falls.
Unwanted ingredients in pastes
Consider the list of components that should not be contained in pastes with a natural composition:
- Sodium lauryl sulfate, an aggressive substance. It stimulates the production of copious amounts of foam during tooth brushing and at the same time adversely affects the state of health. Sodium lauryl sulfate triggers a cascade of responses in the immune system and leads to the development of strong allergic reactions. In addition, the substance adversely affects the performance of internal organs. The mucous membranes of the mouth react to irritant inflammation of the gums and increased sensitivity of the enamel.
- Aluminum lactate. The component is added to toothpastes to reduce bleeding gums. It has not only a therapeutic effect. The substance has the ability to accumulate in the bone structures, causing the pathologies of the musculoskeletal system.
- Antibacterial agents. They are allowed to apply only in case of exacerbation of infectious and inflammatory processes in the oral cavity. Regular use of pastes with antibiotics leads to an imbalance of microflora in the oral cavity.
- Saccharin. The substance improves the taste of the cleaning agent, but is also a carcinogen to the body. Not all scientists agree with this opinion.
- Sodium carboxymethylcellulose. As a result of scientific studies revealed a negative impact of the component on the work of the digestive system. But despite this, it is actively added to food. The element is also able to provoke allergic reactions.
- Titanium dioxide, giving pastes a white tint. The effect of the component on the human body is not well understood. Many scientists are inclined to believe that titanium dioxide is a carcinogen.
How to distinguish natural toothpaste from fakes? It is only necessary to study the composition indicated on the tube. In doubtful products, the share of natural ingredients is less than 1%.
It must be remembered that the components of the products get inside the body, despite the lack of its ingestion. Harmful substances can be absorbed into the blood through the mucous membranes of the mouth.
Means for the care of teeth can be made in the form of paste and powder. The latter type of product usually contains more natural ingredients. However, the powder is not very convenient to use during the hygiene procedures. Also, some types of hard powders injure and scratch the enamel, causing it to become too sensitive.
In the store it is almost impossible to find a paste with a completely organic composition (maximum 95% of natural ingredients). Such products can be ordered online abroad. All-natural pastes are made in the USA, England, Germany.
As part of safe pastes, you can find a lot of unfamiliar, frightening components by their name. In fact, many substances are made from natural ingredients and are safe for the human body. At the same time, they do not provide useful properties, since they are subjected to powerful temperature and chemical processing during the production process.
The list of permissible ingredients in the composition of natural pasta:
- Silicon oxide. Essential for bleaching enamel tones. Silicon is a good natural abrasive that removes hard and soft plaque from teeth.
- Organic glycerin. It is used to give pastes a thick and uniform consistency. Substance is obtained by hydrolysis of vegetables.
- Xylitol Necessary to give the cleaning products a sweet taste. Often added to children's toothpastes. The component is obtained from sweet vegetables and fruits, birch bark.
- Sorbitol Like xylitol, it acts as a sweetener. It is extracted from the leaves of cherries, mountain ash, algae, apples.
- Gum The product is added to food and care products for the oral cavity in many developed countries - Japan, America. The component acts as a thickener and is obtained by the fermentation of sugar syrup.
- Zinc citrate. Used to prevent the formation of hard deposits on the surface of the teeth. This trace element is present in the human body.
- Sodium citrate. Regulates the pH balance in the mouth. The substance is obtained from citric acid.
- Sodium benzoate. In a small amount found in some fruits (apples, pears). It is a preservative in the composition of natural tooth powders.
- Maltodexin. The main function is the binding of the components of the cleaning agent. It is obtained by hydrolysis of starch. Maltodeksin in Russia and the developed countries is considered a safe food additive.
In addition to the listed ingredients in the composition of natural products may contain another 1-2 components, the safety of which has not been proven.
Bentonite Clay Remedy
The ingredient is actively used in dentistry during the enamel remineralization procedure. To prepare the product take 2 tbsp. l boiled water, 5 g of salt (fine), 3-4 tbsp. l clay All components are thoroughly mixed together, and at the end add 15 drops of peppermint oil. Ingredients can be purchased at any pharmacy.
How to make toothpaste at home? For the preparation of funds used enamelware. Metal containers come in contact with clay and degrade the therapeutic properties of the paste. For mixing, you can use a metal spoon or fork. First, add all the dry ingredients, and then - liquid. Store the prepared medium in a glass jar. Before each application with a teaspoon, the composition is applied to a toothbrush and hygiene procedures are carried out.
Glycyrin-based paste is more difficult to prepare than with the use of clay. In this case, the powder will require additional heat treatment. During heating, the composition is regularly stirred in order to prevent the paste components from deteriorating.
To prepare the product is mixed:
- lemon, orange or mint oil (a few drops),
- filtered water - 6 tbsp. l.,
- baking soda - 2 tbsp. l.,
- guaronic copper - 4 tsp,
- food or vegetable glycerin - 1.5 tsp.
Make a paste on the algorithm. First mix all ingredients except essential oils. Then paste is put in a plastic container and tightly closed with a lid. Adults can experiment with the recipe and take vodka instead of water. It will be better to cope with the coating on the enamel. To improve the cleaning qualities of the tool, you can add crushed activated carbon. At the same time, the amount of dry ingredients is adjusted so that the paste is not too liquid and does not spread on the brush.
Coconut Oil Paste
The composition of the component is lauric acid, which has an antimicrobial effect. In the process of preparation, mint oil (15 drops), coconut oil and baking soda are mixed in the same proportions (3-4 tablespoons). Soda and coconut oil are mixed first, and then mint oil is added to the ingredients. The ingredients are stirred with a spoon until lumps remain in the paste. As soon as the tool acquires the desired consistency, it is transferred to a deep container with a lid and placed in the refrigerator.
In addition to cleansing pastes at home, you can prepare a medicine to massage the gums. To do this, mix turmeric (1 tsp), ground pepper (3 tbsp. L) and a few pinch of sea salt (finely ground) in one dish. In order for the paste to get the desired consistency, add a little melted butter to the ingredients. Finger dipped into the composition and careful massaging movements applied to the gums.
The best toothpaste with a natural composition
Dentists mark 3 pastes, which consist mainly of safe ingredients. Therefore, they are recommended for use by children and adults prone to allergic reactions.
Isme Rasyan from Thailand has proven itself well. It consists of herbal ingredients and clove oil. There are several types of remedies, but they are all considered safe for the body.
Another good natural remedy is Natura Siberica. In addition to herbal ingredients, it contains minerals that restore tooth enamel. Due to antiseptic properties, Natura Siberica protects teeth from carious processes. Kamchatka paste strengthens the gums and prevents their inflammation.
EcoLux, containing oak leaf extract and apple pectin, is considered natural. She is prescribed to patients suffering from bleeding gums. The active ingredients in the paste prevent the formation of plaque on the enamel and inhibit the activity of pathogenic flora.
When periodontal EcoLux accelerates the recovery of damaged gum tissue. Oak leaf extract perfectly fights fungal infection. The tool has no contraindications to use and can be used for daily hygiene.
Prices for natural pasta range from 100 to 400 rubles. There are more expensive analogues, but not always the quality of the product directly depends on its cost.
Some ingredients are desirable to add to homemade toothpastes. You also need to pay attention to that at least one or more of the listed components were part of the industrial powder.
The list of natural components suitable for the manufacture of tools:
- Clove - has a slight anesthetic effect,
- sage - struggling with bleeding gums,
- tea tree extract - returns whiteness to a smile
- mint - eliminates signs of inflammation in the initial stages of development,
- thyme - characterized by antiseptic properties,
- Rosemary - improves the regeneration of wounds and abrasions of the mucous membranes of the mouth.
As an abrasive in homemade pasta, you can add soda. This component is used no more than 1 time per week. Otherwise, the enamel may be damaged. For teeth whitening, dentists are allowed to use citric acid. The ingredient can be added to scouring powders in small quantities to avoid burns to the mouth.
From the unpleasant smell well helps lemon and iris in the composition of natural pastes. By simply rubbing the teeth with a lemon slice, a whitening effect is also observed.
There are few recipes for homemade pastes that perfectly substitute industrial powders. The product can be prepared from the components at hand. The first time you should consult a dentist about what ingredients to add to the paste. Each person fit different compositions. There is no universal recipe for homemade tooth powder.