Lamb is one of the most popular types of meat used in Tatar, Uzbek, Turkish and many other Oriental cuisines. Usually, meat from young sheep and neutered sheep aged no more than 3 years old is used in cooking. Distinctive features of young and fresh lamb can be considered elastic, pale pink meat and white fat.
In many dishes, mutton fat is used in the cooking process, but its use is not the key to success. It is recommended to cook dishes from mutton not for a long time, otherwise the meat may lose its flavor, become hard and dry. Lamb is cooked depending on the traditions of the country, but in the East this meat is stewed and cooked with apricots and dates, in the Mediterranean recipe, olive oil, garlic, tomatoes and wine are certainly added, and in the north they like roast more.
To orient yourself in Eastern cooking and the proper preparation of lamb, this topic of the IamCOOK website will help you, where you can find all the recipes of dishes with photos and step-by-step preparation from our authors.
What is this meat?
Lamb is quite fatty meat, which in its fat content, by the way, is superior to beef and even pork. And that is why lamb dishes are loved by no means all. But high calorie - not the only thing that scares. The fact is that this meat has a very unusual smell. It cannot be said that it is nasty or very unpleasant, but still some people do not use such a product precisely because of its characteristic “flavor”.
Meat from individuals aged 4 months to one year is most often sold. It was at this time that it did not have time to acquire fat and veins, but it already acquired a characteristic aroma, which is mandatory for dishes from this product.
Older meat (older than a year) is consumed only in a few eastern countries. If you prefer tender pulp, odorless, then choose the meat of a milk lamb. Milk lambs are called, which still feed exclusively on milk and are denied teeth.
How to choose?
So, how to choose lamb? There are several important points that you definitely need to consider when buying:
- Pay attention to the color of the meat. As a rule, it varies from light red to dark burgundy. It's simple: the older the ram, the darker its meat. So if you prefer tender pulp, then choose lighter meat.
- Fresh meat of dairy lambs can be called a seasonal product, as it is sold only in certain periods. The fact is that lambs are usually born at the beginning of the year, namely in the period from January to March (this is due to the peculiarities of the structure and functioning of the body of the sheep). So if the tender pulp of a milk lamb is offered to you in the summer or even more in the fall, then do not believe the seller’s single word, he lies.
- Try a little pressure on the meat. If it is fresh, it will almost immediately return to its original form. But on the stale pulp there will be a dent.
- The smell of lamb has a specific, but in no case should it be unpleasant. And dairy lambs, by the way, practically do not smell. If the smell is harsh, then this may be a signal of improper slaughter or storage.
- The bones of adults should be white, and not gray or brown (color changes indicate diseases). And in lambs the bones have a pink-bluish tint.
- Inspect the fat. The consistency is more like wax, because it is quite dense and thick. The color of the fat may be milky or yellowish.
- Inspect the cut meat. It should be slightly wet, but not wet and certainly not slippery.
How to remove the smell?
If the smell of lamb is unpleasant to you, then you can try to remove it or at least make it less noticeable. Here are some helpful tips:
- Try to marinate the meat. For marinating, sharp or acidic compounds that are excellent against odors are excellent. So, you can use tomato or pomegranate juice, adjika, soy sauce, vinegar, kefir, and so on. But do not choose too sour marinades, and also do not pickle the meat for too long, otherwise it will become hopelessly tough. Enough for half an hour.
- The smell comes from fat, so remove it with a knife before cooking.
- Wash meat well with hot water.
- Use seasonings. The flavors of some of them will drown out the smell of lamb.
- Try soaking the lamb in milk for an hour.
Features cooking different parts of the carcass
How to cook tasty lamb? First of all, you need to choose a suitable part of the carcass. For you, some useful recommendations:
- The most delicate and practically universal is a cut from the dorsal part or lower back. It can be baked in the oven, cook, fry, simmer. Delicious and get burgers.
- Ham is also suitable for almost any dish. There is a lot of meat and almost no fat. But if the ram was old, then the meat can be tough and stringy.
- Breast is the most wiry and fatty part, from which tasty pilaf and stew are obtained.
- The neck can be put in the soup and cooked or stewed for a long time.
- The rib meat is fatty and tough, it is better to let it on soups or stew.
- From the knuckle will make an excellent jelly.
- From the flank (the so-called thin abdominal wall with a large amount of connective tissue) you can prepare stews, rolls, pilaf, broths for refueling.
- Shin (lower back leg) is better to use for cooking aspic.
Try frying lamb in a pan. Here's what you need:
- 500 grams of mutton (you should use the fat part),
- 1 onion,
- black pepper and salt to taste.
- First, wash the lamb thoroughly and cut into small portions.
- Put the meat in a bowl, add salt and pepper, mix everything and leave for 15-20 minutes.
- Heat the vegetable oil in the pan, spread the lamb.
- Cover the pan with a lid and simmer the meat for about 10-15 minutes.
- Peel the onion and cut into half rings, add it to the meat.
- Fry everything together over low heat, stirring occasionally.
- When the meat is soft, turn off the heat.
Mutton stew with vegetables
Try to stew mutton with vegetables in a cauldron, it is very tasty! List of ingredients:
- 1.5-2 kilograms of lamb,
- 3-4 onions,
- 2-3 carrots,
- 3 young squash,
- 3-4 eggplants,
- 3-4 heads of garlic,
- spices and salt to taste.
- First, peel and cut the onion into half rings. Carrots are best rubbed on a large grater.
- At the bottom of the cauldron pour oil (about 100 milliliters).
- Stew carrots with onions in oil for about 5-7 minutes.
- Rinse the lamb well and cut into small pieces and place in a cauldron. Simmer the meat with carrots and onions for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While lamb stew, enjoy eggplants and zucchini. Cut eggplants into cubes and cover with cold salted water for 10 minutes, then drain in a colander. Zucchini cut into small cubes.
- Spread zucchini with eggplants in a cauldron, simmer all together for 20 minutes.
- Add spices and salt, simmer still 10 minutes.
- Clean the garlic from the upper husk and, without splitting into cloves, immerse in the cauldron.
- Cover the cauldron with a lid and leave it on low heat for 1-1.5.
- Then turn off the fire and leave the lamb with vegetables to infuse (it will take at least an hour).
Prepare juicy and tasty mutton, baked with spices in foil. To do this you will need:
- 2 kg of mutton (best whole ham),
- 3-4 tablespoons of mustard,
- 100 grams of prunes,
- 5 cloves of garlic,
- spices (marjoram, basil, Provencal herbs, black pepper),
- 5 tablespoons of olive oil,
- salt to taste.
- Wash the leg of lamb and dry.
- Squeeze juice out of lemon.
- Peel and chop the garlic with a garlic press.
- Wash the parsley and chop finely.
- In a bowl, mix the spices, add olive oil, salt, parsley, chopped garlic and lemon juice, mix everything thoroughly.
- Rub the lamb with the resulting mixture and leave to marinate for several hours (preferably overnight).
- Make several cuts in the ham, place the prunes in them.
- Grate the lamb mustard.
- Wrap the ham in foil, put on a baking sheet and send in the oven, heated to 190-200 degrees for about 1.5-2 hours (it all depends on the size of the ham and the age of the ram).
Cook the lamb correctly and enjoy the taste of dishes from this meat.
Today, lamb is used to prepare rich broths and soups, stews and fried foods. Especially appreciate the meat of the inhabitants of the Caucasus and the Middle East. Manty, beshbarmak, shurpa, kebab and pilaf - the list of mutton dishes can be continued for a long time. Every year there are new recipes.
In the Roman Empire, lamb was cooked according to a special technology. The carcass was first fried, ground into mince, mixed with other ingredients (spices, bone marrow and egg yolk) and made delicious meatballs.
Now a few words about the composition and beneficial properties. Mutton contains easily digestible proteins, as well as micro and macro elements. And in the amount of minerals and vitamins, it is on par with pork and beef. The meat of young sheep must be included in the children's diet. After all, it has fluoride, which protects baby teeth from caries.
Lamb has many beneficial properties, but there are also contraindications. People suffering from intestinal and stomach disorders should stop using it.
How to cook lamb
First you need to choose meat. It is advisable to give preference to the carcasses of young sheep (not older than 3 years). Their meat has a light red tint. If you have found a dark-colored beef in the store, then you should know: there is an old animal in front of you. The same can be said if there is yellow fat on the carcass that emits an unpleasant odor.
How to cook lamb without the smell, we will tell later. In the meantime, tell about the features of cooking. The best parts of lamb are: neck, brisket and scapula. Before cooking, the meat is well washed and the fat is removed. Cooking time of the above parts of the carcass is 1.5-2 hours.
How to cook lamb with potatoes
- garlic - 2 cloves,
- 300 g of mushrooms (preferably champignons),
- potatoes - 6 pieces,
- 1 kg of mutton (breast)
- Bulgarian pepper - 2 pieces,
- two bulbs,
- vegetable oil,
- 3 tsp. thyme,
How to cook lamb with potatoes:
1. Wash the meat, put it on a paper napkin. Cut into slices and send to the pan, where we fry in butter. This process takes 15 minutes. At the very end we salt and pepper.
2. We need to cook lamb in a pan with the addition of vegetables. Remove the husks from the bulbs. Chop the pulp and fry with meat for 10 minutes.
3. Pepper cut into half rings and send to the pan. Fry together with lamb and onions for another 10 minutes.
4. We wash the mushrooms in running water, clean and chop them. Fry separately, and then add to meat, peppers and onions.
5. Getting to the peeling of potatoes. Cut it and put in the pan to the other ingredients. Pour in enough cold water. Fall asleep spices and thyme. Cover the pan with a lid and mark for 40 minutes. We distribute the finished dish in plates, decorate with chopped greens and garlic. Enjoy your meal!
Lamb soup recipe
- one carrot,
- 4 liters of water
- potatoes - 5 pieces,
- hot pepper (optional),
- 500 grams of mutton on the bone,
- one bulb,
- garlic - 3 cloves.
How to cook lamb soup:
1. First you need to rinse the meat, put it in a saucepan and add water. The cooking time of the broth is 1.5-2 hours (on low heat).
2. After the specified time, add sliced large potatoes into the pan. We salt.
3. 20 minutes after adding the potatoes, put chopped vegetables (carrots and onions). When they are cooked, you can send coarsely chopped peppers and favorite spices to the soup.
4. After 5 minutes add garlic and lavrushka. We remove them when the soup is cooked. Before serving, the first dish should be infused. At least 20 minutes.
You do not know how to cook lamb tasty (odorless) in field conditions? We offer you a great recipe.
- red chili pepper - 1 piece,
- 2 kg of lamb,
- zucchini - 3-5 pieces,
- 1.5 kg of onions,
- 5-6 heads of garlic,
- 3-5 eggplants,
- 1.5 kg of carrots,
- vegetable oil,
- spices for meat dishes.
1. Peel the onions and rinse with water. Pulp cut into half rings.
2. Take the cauldron, designed for 8-12 liters. Pour in the oil. Fry the onion until golden. This process takes 15-20 minutes.
3. Getting to the processing of carrots. Wash it, peel it and cut into cubes. Add to the bow. Stew for 15-20 minutes. The fire should be average.
4. Now prepare the meat: remove excess fat, cut into cubes and put it in the cauldron. When lamb grabs a little, you can salt it. After 10 minutes add spices. Simmer another 10-15 minutes.
5. The next ingredient is zucchini. Rinse them, clean and grind (preferably cubes). Add to lamb, salt and mix well. We notice 15 minutes.
6. Now we need to wash the eggplants and cut them into cubes. Before being sent to the cauldron, we soak them in salt water for 15 minutes, and then we fold them in a colander. We spread in a cauldron and mix. It remains to extinguish all the ingredients for 20 minutes. At the very end, add the peeled garlic heads, chopped greens and spices (including cumin).
Recipe for multicooker
Do you want to cook delicious and fragrant lamb pilaf, spending a minimum amount of time and food? Then this recipe is perfect for you.
- 1.5 cups of rice (with long grains),
- two carrots,
- 1 tbsp. l barberry berries,
- 600-700 g lamb,
- two bulbs,
- garlic - 1 head,
- spices (including cumin and zira),
- vegetable oil.
How to cook fast and tasty lamb in a slow cooker:
1. Take a piece of meat with streaks of bacon. Cut it into pieces (approximately 25-30 g).
2. Turn on the slow cooker. Pour in some oil. Putting meat pieces. Run the mode "Frying". Do not close the lid.
3. Wash and clean the carrots, then cut into strips. Add to the bowl to the lamb.
4. Go to the processing of onions. It must be cleaned, cut into strips and sent to other ingredients.
5. Close the lid. Fry vegetables with meat for 3-5 minutes. Next, salt, add the barberry and spices. Mix well.
6. Fall asleep rice in the multicooker bowl. Pour in water so that it is 2 cm above the zirvaka. Insert a whole head of garlic in the middle. Close the lid again. We switch the device to the "Rice" mode. After half an hour, you can open the lid and try the pilaf, determining its degree of readiness. A special spatula check grooves. If all the liquid is absorbed into the rice, then immediately turn off the slow cooker. In this case, it is not necessary to wait for the end of the selected program.
Roast in pots
List of products (based on 3-4 servings):
- small squash,
- 200 g buckwheat,
- two carrots,
- 300 g lamb,
- ½ tsp salt,
- two bulbs,
- 100 ml of olive oil.
Step number 1 - peel carrots, zucchini and onions. Now grind them. Cut the carrots into rings, squash into cubes, and onions into half rings. Spread the vegetables in pots, distributing evenly.
Step number 2 - wash the lamb, cut into cubes and add to vegetables. In each clay pot add 2-3 tbsp. l washed buckwheat. Fill the contents with boiling water. Water should completely close the meat and vegetables. Salt and pepper.
Step number 3 - we cover the pots with a layer of foil or lids. We put them in a preheated oven. We notice 60 minutes. That is how much time the roast needs for full cooking.
Step number 4 - the dish is served at the table right in the pots. In each of them add a little olive oil. You can decorate the roast sprigs of dill.
What to serve dishes from lamb
Do you want to please your household with a delicious lunch or dinner? Then cook something for them from lamb. This may be hearty pilaf, flavored soup or manti. Lamb goes well with spicy and sour sauces. As a side dish will suit: fresh vegetables, buckwheat, legumes, mashed potatoes, boiled pasta and vegetable stew.
Of the drinks, wine is best suited. It is not necessary to spend big money on its purchase. Any red wine can emphasize the incomparable taste and aroma of lamb meat dishes.
Now you know how to cook lamb without a smell, using a slow cooker, a cauldron and a regular frying pan. The recipes contained in the article are perfect for experienced housewives, and for those who have just begun to comprehend culinary art. All products are affordable and sold in any supermarket.