In the article I will reveal the question: why do cats tear up sofas and other furniture, tear wallpaper and jump on walls? I’ll tell you what methods you can use to stop it and give advice on how to be if none of the methods helps.
Updating the stratum corneum of a cat's claw occurs by dropping its upper layer. To do this, the cat bites off it or gets rid of it with the help of a favorite master carpet.
Shit cat wallpapers sharpen claws this way
Scratching surfaces, the animal relieves nervous tension. If the house is tense, cats often scratch wallpaper and furniture.
Kittens also scratch their items of interest. Most often, they do this for informational purposes. Tactile sensations help the kitten explore the subject and its properties. Juveniles can scratch furniture during the game, clinging to it merrily, like a wildcat.
Scratching posts and cat furniture
This method is universal and suitable for animals of any age. A claw is a thing covered with cloth or sisal. This may be a flat board, cone, wave, column or other forms. Find kogtetochku possible in any pet store.
The variety of shapes, materials and colors will help you choose a scraper for any design and for any mustache. There is a more interesting option - the game complex, which is a house with claws, connected to each other.
Buying a cat game complex, provide her a place to warm up, play, rest and grind claws. Models are also multi-tiered, up to the ceiling. Happy owners of such houses do not worry about the safety of their furniture.
Cats have a delicate sense of smell and they do not tolerate sharp odors. If you put such a smell on the selected cat's surface, it is likely that the cat will lose interest in it. The main thing is that the smell does not irritate the person and does not stain the upholstery.
Ready spray buy at the pet store or cook yourself. The last option is made from the infusion of spices, as well as a mixture of water with citrus essential oil.
Another type of spray contains feline enzymes. This composition leaves a smell similar to the smell secreted by cats. Sensing this smell, the cat decides that it has already marked this place and may refuse to tear it up.
Spray can be bought at any pet store
A popular method is to scare a cat from its favorite place. To do this, use any slippery, rustling and sticky materials. For example, attach a foil or double-sided tape to a peeled place. For these purposes, a sticky transparent film was invented, which is purchased at the pet store.
The other method is a negative consequence. Its essence is to create a frightening noise in the process of scraping. When a cat starts to scratch, a bunch of keys or a baby rattle fall next to it. The main thing that the cat did not see how the owner throws a thing.
A clinging material can be attached to the peeled wall
Another negative reinforcement option is to sprinkle water from a spray bottle or a children's water pistol. Only to commit this punishment is necessary at the time of offense, but not later.
The most interesting method
In the pet store buy special pads on the claws. These things are attached to the upper part of the claw with glue and fall off with it about once a month. False claws are harmless to cats and do not interfere with free clapping. Usually they have a bright color and special glue in the kit.
How to teach to scraper
- Kogtetochku set on a favorite place for scratching. For example, move to furniture or put to scratched wallpaper. When the cat has learned to scratch it, the claw is gradually moved to the right place for the owner.
- Show what to do. To show how to use a claw, pretend to scratch it with their hands. Try to scratch it with the paws of a cat. Another interesting option is to drive a toy with a claw to make the cat cling to it with its paws.
If a cat shows interest in claws, she is encouraged - stroked and give a treat. If the cat shows no interest in her, she is confused by the smell of this object or its material.
What to do if the methods used do not help
Cats are picky among pets. If the cat did not like the scratching post, he will not use it. You can reduce the damage caused by cat claws using the following methods:
- To cut the claws on the front paws (only the tip free from the vessel is cut off),
- Put on the furniture removable covers,
- Install different types of scratching posts in different rooms,
- Move the furniture in such a way as to impede access to the favorite place of scratching,
- Make repairs "under the pet",
- Exclude access to the room where the cat is scratching
The abundance of the presented methods creates a comprehensive protection for property from cat's claws. If one method does not fit, use another.
If the apartment is expensive furniture and decoration, and the cat is not allowed to run and frolic, it is better to find her another house. The presence of an animal house always implies some damage. Animal rearing is practiced from an early age using only non-violent methods.
The nature and causes of the problem
The ancestors of cats were forest wild cats, which, in order to feed themselves, needed to hunt small game. Claws - the main weapon of the hunter. The predators had and knew their own clearly defined territories, where an outsider couldn’t dare. The borders of these territories were marked with scratches on the trunks of trees - this is how animals protected and divided their spheres of influence. Claws and the ability to climb trees kept the animal alive during a chase or hunt.
Domestic cats all the hunting skills of wild ancestors were inherited at the genetic level. Let's understand why domestic cats often manage to spoil some things of an apartment interior:
- Living in your apartment, the cats consider the house to be their personal space, therefore they mark this territory with a secret - an individual smell, which stands out from the pads on the paws, so that other relatives cannot come here.
- Scratching claws on furniture and walls of your pet is necessary for grinding the tips of the claw. It is necessary to do this so that the overgrown claw does not cause inconvenience when walking.
- By the way, for yard cats this problem does not exist. They "sharpen" the claws, constantly moving on the ground, or shorten them, scratching the bark.
How to rehabilitate a pet
It is not necessary to shift all the blame for damage to furniture just on a pet. You need to understand that the Shkodit cat does not mean you, but for physiological reasons. It is impossible to fight with nature, swearing and punishment will not help. You just need to help the animal, preserving its habits, to do it without damage to household property.
If it is impossible to wean an animal from this habit, it means that it is necessary to create conditions for it to do this procedure with the help of a scraper. To teach a cat to scratch its claws in a specific place for this, the owner will need to exert a little effort.
Loud commands and sound stimuli
It's no secret that cats are quite intelligent and trained animals. Even if you do not train your pet, the animal instantly responds to the spoken name and hurries to the call. This fact is one more confirmation of the fact that cats are easy to train.
In our case, you can use the hands-free command method, for example, "You can not!". Follow the animal, and as soon as it comes to the sofa to tear upholstery, stop the attempt loudly. At the same time bring the cat to the claw and simulate with it the undermining of claws. Repeat these steps until the animal "surrenders."
For those who have no time to train, there is a simpler way. The cat family has a strong sense of smell. There are some smells that cats do not tolerate categorically:
- citrus fruits (orange, grapefruit, lemon),
- some spices (coriander, hot chili peppers, hops-suneli).
You can make a canvas bag yourself, pouring into it any of your favorite spices or citrus fruits, and hang them in places that are undesirable to visit the cat.
Spray bottle with water
As a deterrent from the venture to sharpen claws in unacceptable places in the apartment can be used with a conventional spray with water.
Since cats do not like any water procedures, it is necessary to use this tool every time the cat tried to scratch or tear furniture, spraying water on its face. However, this tool should be applied immediately after the atrocity or a few seconds later, otherwise the animal will not accept your intentions.
If you want to teach your pet to scratch, then we offer you some important tips:
- Place the claw strut near the stove bench or cat house so that the pet can use this cat accessory immediately after waking up.
- As soon as you notice that the cat intends to sharpen its claws, gently take it in your hands and transfer it to a scratch. Believe me, having done this several times, your pet will quickly get used to the new accessory.
- If even if there is a scratcher, the cat continues to tear wallpaper, then you can use a spray gun to wean from a bad habit.
- After acquiring the scratching posts, cover with a cloth all the home furnishings chosen by the cat.
- For a quicker effect or a large house, you can purchase several scratches at once or make them yourself.
Clipping claws and anti-scratch
Timely manicure your cat will help to avoid scratched furniture. However, before embarking on such a hygienic procedure, you should familiarize yourself with the rules for cutting the claws:
- purchase a special cat cutter, the use of dog scissors is strictly prohibited,
- put the cat on your knees, hold the foot with your left hand, and in the right hold the scissors,
- no more than a third of the claw can be cut, as the sensitive zone is below,
- after the procedure, treat the cat with his favorite delicacy.
Also, anti-scratch for cats will help protect the house from your pet's claws. They can be purchased at any veterinary store. They are presented in different colors and represent silicone lining on the claws of the cat's front paws.
They are fixed with a special glue, while not constraining reflex movements of the paws for releasing claws. The lining leaves in 1.5–2 months together with the horny layer of the cat's claw, without causing him any harm.
Ways to protect furniture
Here are some other ways to protect furniture from the clutches of your pet:
- Duct tape. Using double-sided tape or special adhesive tape will help protect furniture upholstery, curtains, carpets from damage by a cat. At the same time the material itself does not suffer, and the cat does not like sticky surfaces.
- Anti-vandal spray. Treat this tool can be furniture, walls, curtains, wires. Spray can be purchased at any veterinary store, it is absolutely harmless to pets and people.
- Covers for furniture. From the clutches of your pet to save the interior of the apartment can help special covers for upholstered furniture. They are made of tissue, unsuitable for undermining claws, so the animal loses interest in this venture.
- If the upholstery of your furniture is expensive and you don’t want to change it, then just close the doors to the rooms, leaving space for the cat in the hallway and in the kitchen.
The main reasons for the bad behavior of cats
When a cat tears wallpaper or scratches furniture, it has its reasons. Therefore, in order to wean the cat to scratch wallpaper and furniture, it is necessary to find out the reason for this behavior of the animal.
The main reasons why the cat pulls wallpaper and furniture:
- A cat can scratch something in order to sharpen its claws - this is a kind of exercise to strengthen the muscles of the animal.
- When a pet scratches wallpaper and furniture, it can thus show its emotional state. The cat may be angry or angry.
- To mark its territory, the cat can scratch it.
- In the event that a pet scratches your favorite furniture, it will show its love for the person.
The behavior of the cat directly depends on the owner’s attitude, so that the pet always pleases you, do not betray him and love him.
The main ways to wean the cat to tear up furniture and wallpaper
There are several ways to wean a pet to tear things. Therefore, choose for yourself the best, and proceed to decisive action.
7 ways to wean a cat to scratch wallpaper and furniture:
- Teach your pet to use the scratching post.
From an early age, the kitten should be taught to the scraper, and then, he will not
will tear up other things.
Kogtetochka can be purchased at a specialty store or create manually.
If the pet is scratching the wallpaper and furniture, it can be scared away from this occupation with loud incomprehensible sounds. But remember, never scold or shout at the cat. By this you only aggravate the situation.
As soon as you see that the cat has gathered its claws on the wrong objects, sprinkle the pet with a little water. With this action, you do not harm your beloved pet. On the contrary, scratching wallpaper and furniture will be associated with a cat with an unpleasant procedure.
Watch your pet and determine what he likes to fight the most.
Then, in a veterinary pharmacy, you need to purchase a special spray and apply it on furniture or wallpaper. For a person, this smell will be almost imperceptible, but the cat will now bypass the “favorite” place by the side.
No pet likes sticky and sticky surface. Therefore, if the cat is tearing wallpaper or furniture, attach a double-sided tape. The next time when a pet wants to sharpen claws on an unauthorized object, he will surely “stumble” on the scotch tape. After that, the animal will not come close to the furniture or wallpaper, which he once scratched.
From a young age, a kitten should be accustomed to the procedure of cutting the claws. After all, if the pet does not have claws, then he will not want to sharpen them. Claws should be cut regularly.
This is a radical method that should be used only in exceptional cases. If suddenly in your apartment there is an expensive and valuable item that can be spoiled by a pet, always keep it “under lock and key”. That is, close tightly the door where this item is stored.
Pets always want to please their owners. However, unfortunately, they do not always succeed. Therefore, if your cat or cat has done anything, do not scold your pet, just explain to him that he was wrong and the animal will definitely correct.
Causes - physiological, psychological and behavioral
Correct behavior and etiquette is imparted to the kitten at a very early age, up to 3 months. Usually, the breeder or mother-cat is involved in raising the baby. If you decide to save the kitten from a shelter or from the street, the manners of the newly-made ward may not please you. A positive thing is that wean the cat to scratch furniture, wallpaper or other things you can spoil at any age. Naturally, the older the cat, the stronger its habits and the longer it takes.
Many inexperienced owners prefer to punish a pet or even beat him, hoping for a conditioned reflex: touched the curtains - it will hurt. By acting in this way, the host does not take into account at least two important factors:
- The cat needs to sharpen claws, and glaring at the sofa, she literally cleans the dead layer of the nail plate.
- All cats are territorial and tag their possessions by smell. Between the fingers of the ward there are glands secreting a smelling secret. It is here that every corner, curtains and doorposts fall under the distribution, as they are located around the perimeter of the dwelling or room.
The second most popular reason is stress. If we summarize all the popular factors, we get the following conclusion:
- Jealousy - to other animals, a new tenant or child. In this case, the cat will scratch furniture with the smell of a stranger and the walls of "its territory".
- Territoriality - peeling curtains, wallpaper at the front door and windows, talking about the concern of the pet. Perhaps your purr sees other cats from the window or smells them near the door. Scratching the surface, the pet leaves the label: "I live here, the territory is occupied!".
- Conflict with other animalsliving in the house - in this case the feeding places, sofas and other joint zones will suffer, where your pets (usually) conflict.
- Other stresses - change of owner, relocation, death or illness of a family member, long absence of the owner, lack of attention and / or care by the owner And so on.
The third and completely owner-dependent reason isbad or late education. We single out several subparagraphs that will significantly affect the process of education:
- Pet's age - young cats and kittens may simply not be aware of the fact that furniture and wallpapers cannot be spoiled.
- Возраст привычки – если питомец уже вкусил прелесть обдирания мягких, текстурных, таких манящих обоев и занимался этим несколько раз, перевоспитание займет больше времени.
- Скука – отсутствие игрушек и, как говорилось выше, внимания со стороны владельца.
Having observed the pet, you can easily determine the causes of incorrect behavior. If the pranks are associated with a lack of education or insecurity of the pet in itself, you must immediately take up the re-education. We should start with providing comfort and conditions for the care of claws.
Personal areas, kogtetochka and a place for cats
Having set your favorite places for pranks, you have two alternatives: locate in this zone scraper or scare away the cat with the help of special tools (sold in pet stores) can also be purchased special spray, whose composition attracts the cat's attention or literally improves its mood. Using aids, you can quickly consolidate positive emotions associated with a zone, place, or a specific object (claw).
Tip: most cats love to claw and release their claws when meeting owner. By placing the claw at the front door, you will encourage your pet's self-esteem and save the wallpaper!
There are many models kogtetochek: slats, mats, posts, beds and even game complexes. All types of accessories are united by one requirement - strong fixation. If the scratching post falls on the cat, abruptly moves, scares her, then you have to remove it or replace it with a new one (another model).
Important! If you have several cats, each of them should have a personal scratching post (and better not one).
Make sure the cat has private place to sleep, rest - calm and untouchable. As a house, you can use the box, carrying or special booths (sold in pet stores). This item is especially important for pets who are clinging against the background of far-fetched competition for territory.
Tip: except for a bed, try to equip everything (if possible), the places you like to purr with sun beds. Many quadrupeds prefer to lie quietly or nap in the same room with the owner.
As practice shows, to wean a cat to tear off with claws wallpaper is more difficult than to ward it off from furniture. The reasons are the same - the designation of the territory. If all of the above methods did not help, it is worth thinking about deeper problems. Your pet may be suffering fromdepression and self-doubtwhile stripping the wallpaper, trying to prove to the whole world that he is not so pitiful.
Tip: Returning to education, if your cat only rubs the walls and the furniture does not touch, you should consider installing wall claws. Believe it or not, no pet wants to be bad or scolded.
Not in all cases, the owner will be able to use the spray, because he can leave traces on the wallpaper. If you are planning to make repairs, take care to install wall panels. Try to find a place for the equipment. rope bridge (for example, from the nightstand to the closet) or a tall “claw palm” with a sun bed on top. Most cats feel much more confident, name access to the highest points of the home.
Note! Active breeds of cats, for example, the Abyssinian and Siamese, are in vital need of access to the elevated points of the home.
Caress and attention are key success factors.
Bringing a fluffy little ball into the house, you love it selflessly, in parenting. Your task is to maintain this attitude, despite the domestic twists and turns. In the end, everything that is sold can be bought, and sincere love and tenderness are priceless.
Do not forgettalk to the cat and praise her, even for the little things, as they say, "a good word and a cat is nice." According to the experience of the majority of cat owners, experts and zoopsychologists, all the troubles lie in the lack of understanding of the true causes of the behavior of the ward. The conclusion is quite simple - start with yourself. If the cat has already ruined the wallpaper or sofa, this is no longer correct, but this is a reason to draw conclusions. You overlooked and you did not take care, and not the cat is bad and stupid. As soon as you get through this axiom, you will stop being angry with your pet, and this is the first step to success!
Claw pads - anti-scratch
More recently, the accessory was a novelty, today, it is actively used by many cat owners. However, we dare to warn you, more than half the promises of producers of this innovation are far from the truth. Anti-scratches will really protect your furniture, wallpaper, hands and feet (if the cat is scratching, biting or showing aggression), but they can only be used (!) As a temporary measure. Clarify:
- Lugs on claws make it impossible for a cat to stay on the surface, so that falls from a height guaranteed!
- The means by which anti-scratches are attached to the nails, may cause allergies or lead to abscess, if the cat injures your finger in the process of wearing a newfangled accessory.
- The cat will hurt! Covers do not allow to claw, that is, do not allow the paw to take a natural posture. Try to walk all day holding your toes in the maximum raised and spaced state, not lowering and not closing! Feelings will be close and believe, painful.
- The cat will not be able to comb. Itching is an exhausting irritant that can literally drive you crazy.
- Trying to tear off the claws, the pet can hurt your fingers or pull out your claws, and not go to such extremes of despair.
- And finally, cats are creatures graceful and silent. Pads on claws knock About any surface that guarantees stress to the animal, and you too.
If you moved to a rented apartment or took a pet for a visit, better keep it in the carrythan to apply overlays on claws. At least in the carrying of the tailed prankster feels safe, does not risk getting injured or escaping from the enemy territory into the accidentally open door. Naturally, this is not about round-the-clock imprisonment, but only while you are not around.
In conclusion, a few words about claw removal, which is called the “soft foot procedure”. Since such a procedure exists, it is not correct to conceal it. In fact, removing the cat's claws makes you cripple. She will not live a day on the street, will not be able to walk on the ground or sand without pain, perhaps she will suffer every time he goes into the tray. However, all the warnings do not stop many materialistic owners. There is only one question, if you are ready to take such measures, is it worth getting a cat?
Causes of property damage
Of course, the malicious actions of fluffy fidget by stripping the walls from the walls and turning the easy chair into rags do not have a purposeful nature to spoil the property. The animal does not understand the value of the new way of upholstered furniture and, moreover, does not know about the sums spent on repairing the home. The cause of the material damage is quite understandable physiological.
In the wild, cats have the unobstructed ability to sharpen their claws on a tree trunk. Such manipulation is necessary for the animal to maintain the cat manicure in combat readiness. Sharp claws protect a furry animal both from numerous enemies and help in a successful hunt.
In addition to stitching claws, the animal needs physical exercise. While petting on a vertical surface, the pet flexes the muscles of the neck and back and keeps them in good shape. Such manipulations are especially important for domestic cats leading a sedentary lifestyle. Vertical slinging prevents the development of hypodynamia and diseases of the musculoskeletal system.
The ritual of honing claws on vertical objects is also of practical importance in terms of drawing the boundaries of its territory. Under the pads in cats are specific glands that produce an individual secret for each individual. This helps the animal to designate its possessions and to prevent other relatives from encroaching on the territory.
In terms of housing, domestic cats are forced to sell their natural instincts using improvised means. Most often, in their quality, pets choose upholstered furniture and vertical surfaces - walls covered with wallpaper.
Understanding the physiological reasons why the cat tears the wallpaper, what to do in such a situation, the owner will be prompted to know the basics of the behavior of the animal.
We help the animal not to shkodnichat
In order for the pet to stay in the apartment to be immaculate, it is necessary to put a little effort and patience. First of all, it is not worth it, when you come home and see the massive destruction in the form of hanging wallpaper clips and furniture upholstery peeled up to the springs, you should curse or, moreover, punish the animal. What has been done is done, and the cat will still not understand why the owner is unhappy and annoyed.
There are several proven ways to disaccustom a cat to tear wallpaper and furniture. It is necessary to act consistently, patiently and competently.
Scratch to preserve furniture
One of the effective and efficient methods of protecting furniture and walls from cat's paws is to teach an animal to use a claw. This device has a variety of designs, but in the case of property damage, it is advisable to acquire a vertical variety. You can buy it in a specialized pet store or make it yourself. Preference should be given to sustainable structures with a sisal coating.
In order to accustom your pet to a useful device, you can follow the recommendations of experienced breeders and specialists:
- Take a pet for the front paws and scratch them with a scraper.
- Hang your favorite toy to the kogteterke.
- Apply on the surface of the device a few drops of special means to attract a cat or catnip.
- Kogtetochku should be placed near the favorite unauthorized place. A good option would be to install it near the zone where the animal usually sleeps. When the cats wake up, the first thing they do is pull in and love to stretch out on vertical surfaces.
In how to disaccustom a cat to tear wallpaper, the design of a scraper is important. The best option would not be a stand-alone fixture, but a wall-mounted option. You should not get a floor design.
In order for the manipulation of a pet to have positive emotions, it is necessary to praise, pet and treat your beloved cat yummy after each use of the scraper to its intended purpose.
For information on how to teach a cat to a scraper in the form of a game, see this video:
Haircut nails and anti-scratch
To keep the furnishings intact will help to regularly cut the claws. This procedure allows you to noticeably to reduce the damage from the pet, as well as prevent scratches in households and children.
To accustom the animal to this manipulation should be from an early age. For a painless manicure, you should purchase a special tool - a clipper. If there is no skill in such a procedure, then the first time you can ask for the help of a veterinarian who will show and explain exactly how to properly trim the claws of a cat.
In specialized stores you can buy pads on cat's claws. Such anti-scratches, made of silicone, hide the sharp claws inside this device. Lining claws with special glue is quite easy and simple.
One set will last about 1.5 months. The cost within two hundred rubles is significantly lower than the damage that the animal can cause expensive furniture and appearance of the home.
Such a radical method is a bloody way of keeping furniture in order. Many veterinarians consider such an operation unnecessary execution and do not conduct it. Owners must understand that this is not a cosmetic operation. The animal will not be able to defend itself from rivals, it will become easy prey for enemies, and the risk of developing the pathology of the musculoskeletal system increases significantly.
Eliminate stress factors
In the event that the cause of the cat's disgraces with furniture and walls is a stress factor, the owner should know how to wean the cat to tear wallpaper. Often, this way the pet entertains itself when it’s boring. The situation is observed when little attention is paid to the animal.
Homebody cats need not only food, hygienic care. It is important for pets daily attention of the owner, sharing games, entertainment. Without communication, cats become detached, nervous, inadequate. Therefore, so that the animal does not spoil the furniture from boredom and hopelessness, the owner needs to pay more attention to the pet.
When a new animal appears in the house, especially of the cat family, the pet may begin to intensively mark the territory, scraping off the wallpaper and interior items. To prevent this from happening, the owner must competently introduce the novice and old-timers, without causing the latter to have a feeling of jealousy and a desire to win back their territory.
Sprinkler repeller and other means
Owners of pets, in addition to the benevolent moments in matters of how to wean the cat to scratch the wallpaper, should know and methods of intimidation. To the most effective option of weaning an animal from any negative actions are water procedures in the form of water from a spray bottle.
Such shock therapy should be carried out every time when a pet tries to sharpen claws in the wrong place. A cold shower does not like the cat family, and the animal has a negative attitude towards its actions.
For efficiency, you can add orange or mandarin essential oil to a spray bottle. Cats do not like the smell of citrus, and along with cold water, the orange scent will discourage the desire to sharpen claws on furniture.
In the pet store you can buy a device with a motion sensor and a gas cartridge. When approaching the wall of the animal, the sensor will work, and the animal will automatically be sprayed with a deterrent. The device will help to wean sharpen claws on the walls and furniture in the absence of the owner.
If the cat is scrubbing the wallpaper, what to do if the water just doesn't save? A citrus-scented sprayer will also come to the rescue. You can use an orange-scented deodorant and treat your cat's furniture and walls. Suitable for this purpose spray "Antigadin", used for weaning pets defecate in the wrong place.
The owner of the animal must be well aware of the physiological component of many moments in the behavior of your pet. This refers to such an unpleasant phenomenon as the damage to furniture and the stripping of wallpaper by a pet. Purposeful and consistent approach to this problem will help to quickly and reliably wean the cat from mischievous behavior and preserve the interior in its original form.
What does it mean? Owners explain love cat lies in the legs of the owner so that the animal heals and shows feelings. . We recommend to read about how to wean the cat to tear wallpaper and furniture.
The animal, having received stress from violence, continues to shkodit, spoil the property with a vengeance. . And here is more about how to wean a cat to tear wallpaper and furniture.
How to wean the cat to tear wallpaper and furniture, what if. How to cut a cat at home: shave. The cat is lame on its paw (back or front), the paw is swollen.
Why do cats fight furniture and wallpaper?
Many representatives of the cat family, living in houses and apartments, tear wallpaper and interior items. This is due to their physiology and characteristics of instincts and behavior. And there are several reasons:
- Insufficient, absent or untimely upbringing. Cats are smart, and the owner is able to instill a rule of behavior in his pet, but not all bring up pets properly and on time.
- Strongly ingrained habit. If you took an adult cat from the street or from other owners, and she scratched the wallpaper before meeting you, it will continue in the same spirit in the new housing.
- Claw update. Friction on any objects during scratching allows you to remove dead parts of the claw plates.
- Territory designation. At the tips of the paws between the fingers are special glands that secrete a secret. And with this substance during scratching cats mark their possessions (they also make it with urine and glands located in other places - in the cheeks and under the tail).
- Boredom. If the pet has no toys and no place to play, it will throw out energy by scratching and damage to property.
- Jealousy. The cat may be jealous of the owners of other pets or children. Scratching is a way to attract attention and mark territory.
- Competition with other animals. If there are several pets in the house, everyone will protect their possessions and strive to win the territory.
Organization of personal territory and places for scratching
How can we stop a cat from scratching wallpaper and furniture? When you start a pet, you should understand that it will need a personal space in which everything will be necessary for a comfortable and active life. Be sure to provide a playing area, placing in it a scraper or multi-level rack with rough and soft areas for scratching.
Show the cat her corner, demonstrate what you can do with these or other objects. If you manage to attract the attention of a pet, and he appreciates the idea, he will most likely use a scratching post for its intended purpose, and forget about furniture and walls.
Scratching should be comfortable. There are different types: racks, slats, rugs, sun beds, bars and whole complexes. Приспособление должно понравиться питомцу, так что, вероятно, придётся опробовать несколько вариантов. Кроме того, аксессуар должен быть безопасным и надёжно зафиксированным, ведь если он упадёт на кошку, она испугается и больше не подойдёт к когтеточке.
Важно! Обязательно предоставьте кошке игрушки для активного и приятного времяпровождения.
There are plenty of specialized tools for the correction of pet behavior. The first category is sprays for weaning against scratching. They have sharp unpleasant odors and are sprayed into areas that are loved by the pet. But some cats adapt to the scents or do not notice them.
The second category of funds - sprays for training to the scraper. On the contrary, they attract the attention of the animal, have pleasant smells. First, the cat pays attention to the site, its mood improves and becomes playful, it begins to release claws and have fun, and the scent reinforces the positive emotions.
Correction of behavior, education and care
In principle, weaning a cat from bad habits is real at any age, but the sooner you start to do it, the higher the chances of correcting the animal and making it well-mannered. Help tips:
- Spray bottle with water. As soon as the cat begins to tear up the sofa or comes up to him, splash water on her face. This should be done often or constantly, so that the pet understands the connection between its actions and unpleasant feelings. The method will take time and patience, but in many cases it works.
- Noise. Noticing the intention of the pet to sharpen claws or an action already begun, make a loud sound, for example, shake a rattle or rustle with a plastic bag. Representatives of the cat family do not like harsh noises and get scared of them, so if you carry out manipulations every time you try to scratch the wallpaper, the animal will soon realize that it is not worth doing.
- Vote. When a pet begins to tear up a wallpaper or approaches a favorite place, shout it loudly, roughly and clearly pronounce a nickname, or say words like “No,” “Shoo,” “Shooter”, “Stop it”. Intonation must be strict.
- Be affectionate and attentive to the cat. Perhaps her bad behavior is an attempt to attract the attention of the owners, to throw out energy. Chat with your pet, talk, play, praise him, spend more time together, let's not get bored. Then the desire to scratch the furniture and the wallpaper does not arise, and it will not have time and effort.
Try folk remedies:
- Tincture of valerian grease her scraper.
- Catnip will also attract the cat's attention to the place set aside for grinding claws.
- In the places from which you want to "discard" your pet, spray citrus fruits juice, vinegar.
- Hang a cotton pad with a strong-smelling essential oil or a cloth bag with fragrant spices on the wall or furniture.
If you can not wean
What to do if the cat after all your attempts to weaning still continues to tear up everything that comes under the paws? There are several ways to minimize damage to property:
- Antitsarapki. This silicone lining, fixed on the claws of the cat and make them absolutely not sharp. But these accessories pet should be taught from an early age, as in the later the animal will experience discomfort. In addition, antitsarapki change the position of the claws (they can not be removed in a quiet state) and often cause allergic reactions.
- Cover your favorite places with protective covers, such as chipboard or fiberboard strips. And in order for such panels to be used for their intended purpose, it is better to supplement them with familiar materials about which the pet usually sharpens its claws: wallpaper, paper or cloth.
- Regular trimming claws. Get a special kogterezka and in process of regrowth carefully cut off claws. Of course, the cat will still continue to use claws, but they will be less sharp and will not harm objects strongly.
Important! Claw removal is a radical and inhuman measure that should not be taken.
Patience of the owner and his correct behavior will help wean the cat to scratch furniture and wallpaper!
Causes: cat physiology and psychology
All the motives that encourage your pet to tear wallpaper and furniture can be summarized in a short list:
- Hygienic manicure - so the cat gets rid of the old claw, whose keratinized layer flies in the process of sharpening. In its place a young sharp claw appears,
- warming up the muscles - an animal, like a good athlete, “warms up” its tendons and muscles,
- claw releasing training - this ancient hunting / defensive skill is almost never used by domestic cats, but is embedded in their genes,
- marking of the territory - on the furniture upholstery there is a smell of sweat secreted by sweat glands, which are located on the cat's paws,
- getting rid of nervous tension - often in this way a frightened or angry cat relieves accumulated stress.
Important! While scraping the chair where you spend long evenings, the cat also informs you about his trust, sympathy and love.
Voice and loud sounds
Caught the cat at the crime scene, say clearly and loudly, "no!" Or "no!". Shake a rattle next to the baleen vandal, which can be a regular can with stones / coins. Attach a balloon next to the wallpaper so that the animal touches it when sharpening its claws. It is unlikely that the cat will like the cotton of a pierced ball.
Noticing that the cat has taken a characteristic stand, sprinkle the bully with water. The main thing to do is at the time of stripping the wallpaper, and not later, so that the cat understands why it has suffered.
It is believed that cats do not like the smell of citrus, onions and vinegar. But the amber coming from the last two products is unlikely to appeal to households, and the vinegar soon disappears.
It is better to mix oils of eucalyptus and orange (mandarin / lemon) in equal proportions, pour the mixture into a spray bottle and spray all problem areas. The apartment will have a wonderful scent, and the cat may stop tearing wallpaper / furniture.
They stick on it the wallpapers that your cat has already “chosen” and lean against the corner she has chosen. Most likely the cat will switch to the board. Your task is to relocate the shield with wallpaper to several places (days) where it will not depress you with its unpresentable view.
To be absolutely quiet for the state of the wallpaper, you can put a decorative stone or tile around the perimeter (to the height of the slinging cat).
How to wean a cat to scratch furniture
Practically all the ways designed to wean animals to spoil wallpaper, are also suitable in the case of furniture falling under cat's claws. But there are specific recommendations.
We immediately say that this is a rather dubious option, since most baleen animals continue to rip upholstery trimmed with special sprays with frenzy.
These funds are sold in the pet store and should inspire cats irresistible disgust, but not always perform their function.
Such covers stretch the furniture to solve two problems: cover the torn fabric and pull the cat away from the sofa / chair. Manufacturers claim that the elastic cover for cat exercises is not suitable, as it is not stable and stationary. The tension cover is easy to wash and clean, besides it is cheaper than a new sofa.
Silicone claw tips
They are called “Soft claws” and are anti-scratches that are put on the claws of the front paws. Caps, repeating the shape of the claw, are fixed with a special glue, not constraining reflex movements. The animal quietly releases and retracts its claws.
Two months later, the silicone cap comes off together with the dead skin of the claw. If necessary, antitsarapki stick again.
It is better to entrust this procedure to a veterinarian, as it is possible to accidentally damage a blood vessel. If you are confident in your abilities, do manicure with special scissors (but not with dogs!), As animals differ in the shape of claws. By the way, not all cats tolerate a manicure, but if yours endured the torment steadfastly, praise and reward her with an order of tasty food.
This cardinal and cruel method, practiced in many veterinary clinics, is resorted to by the most heartless cat owners.
Important! When onihektomii amputated not only the claws, but also the phalanges of the fingers. It should be remembered and anesthesia, heavily tolerated by all cats.
A cat without claws becomes an invalid, both physically and mentally:
- he has impaired coordination of movements,
- the animal loses its balance and falls, unable to stay on the dais,
- there are deviations in posture and pain in the spine.
Do I have to say that a cat without claws is completely defenseless if accidentally hit the street. He will not scratch the eyes of the dog that attacked him and will not be able to climb the saving tree.
Device private space cats
To begin with, the cat considers your entire apartment to be your personal territory, and you cannot place a place for it. The only thing that you can do is minimize the damage from sharpening claws.
The masters loving their Vaska will not spare the money to buy carpet to match the color of the wallpaper, so that they can paste over the torn corner from floor to ceiling. Then the cat will not only sharpen claws, but also periodically go climbing.
Particularly difficult will have the keepers of fragile antiquarian values. Ming vazu must be hidden behind tightly closed doors, taking care that the door handle does not resist the pressure of soft cat's feet.
Kogtetochka do it yourself
Get a clawboard as soon as the kitten has settled in the house. So at least you will have a chance to preserve your furniture and walls: it is much more difficult to accustom an adult animal to a scraper.
This simple device can be built independently, given the following nuances:
- the height of the bar must be greater than the height of the cat stretched out
- the scraper is obliged to bear the weight of the pet, for which it is securely fixed,
- the top layer is made of a material that is similar in structure to the bark of the tree (it is preferable to use a sisal rope),
- for the first time, to lure the cat to the scraper, hang toys with catnip smell on it.
Teach the cat to scratching
The “machine” for sharpening claws is usually placed where the animal is used to doing this. If there are several such zones, then the scraper (ideally) should not be one. Other rules:
- if the pet has a specific sleeping place, place a claw near it: when they wake up, the cats always warm up,
- for the cat to focus more attention on the claw, take away or close the distracting interior,
- on the floor where the cat used to stand, scraping furniture / wallpaper, put adhesive tape, foil or slippery plastic,
- show the kitten how to use the scratching post: slide it over the post with its foot (this will have to be done several times).
Important! Every time an animal starts to claw its claws, praise it, smooth it and encourage it with tasty food.
Do not lure the cat to the grinding projectile with the help of valerian. Operumous Murka will begin to rub on a column, burrow into his nose, heart-rendingly meow, in a word, perform different circus numbers, completely forgetting about its intended purpose.
What not to do
As a rule, cat owners know that threats and prohibitions do not apply to their pets. The cat will always do everything that she likes, not particularly considering the opinions of others.
Teaching her from bad habits, including damage to furniture and walls, remember:
- any physical punishment is excluded (the cat will keep a grudge and take revenge),
- you can not throw out the old kogtetochku with the usual smell of a cat (the development of the new will be problematic),
- It is forbidden to shout at a cat (learn to use intonation, and not the volume of your voice),
- It is necessary to shame a cat only during the commission of a crime (belated exhortations will not bring it up).
Those owners whose animals make an exercise every day are lucky: every tree in the yard is a huge scraper, for the use of which no one will scold the cat.