Time can not be returned. But can it be stopped? Theoretically, no, but photographers somehow magically manage to catch fleeting seconds. They steal unforgettable moments from an endless stream of time and perpetuate them in squares of photo cards. The profession of a photographer seems simple and understandable to us, but for sure there is something unusual in it.
The photographer is the most welcome guest at holidays and other celebrations, because it was his mission to capture all the most outstanding moments. Many people think that the profession of a photographer is simple and uncomplicated: click the button of the device as much as you like and get good money for it.
But is it really? In fact, the profession of the photographer has its own positive and negative characteristics, and not everyone will suit it. After all, how then to explain that some photographers reach unthinkable heights in their field, while the works of others go unnoticed?
Who is that
A photographer is a specialist who can create photographs using a camera and other special equipment.
If you give a brief description of the profession of the photographer, then you can say that his task is to directly shoot and maintain special equipment. During shooting, the photographer must choose the most optimal lighting and angle. But the most important thing when creating a snapshot is to have an idea. Of course, now, in the times of highly developed technologies, it is possible to correct the background, remove some defects and smooth out the shortcomings, but without an idea it will not work out a good sample.
In addition to creating and processing images, the work of the photographer includes administrative functions. That is, he must take full responsibility for preparing and conducting the shooting, choose a topic, negotiate with the customer, be responsible for props, location, etc. Professional photographers who have already achieved some success can delegate these functions to their assistants, But newcomers should independently deal with everything, although ideally the profession of a photographer is a creative activity, it is man who should be engaged in creative work without being distracted by ordinariness.
If someone else did not understand the usefulness of the profession of the photographer, it is simply explained. Thanks to the photos, a person can return to the past for a few moments, recalling the most pleasant moments. Pictures allow you to permanently preserve in memory the faces of people who have long been dead. Even in forensic science, photography is used to discover the traces of crime hidden from a quick human eye, and the events important for the historical development of the country can be captured on the photographs.
Simply put, photography is an irreplaceable testimony, and one who knows how to create them will always be necessary for society as a whole and for man in particular. This is why the profession of the photographer is useful to society.
Today, photographers can be divided according to different classification criteria. For example, according to the level of professionalism, photographers are divided into amateurs and professionals. Lovers mostly take off for their own pleasure, and their "clients" are friends and relatives. Professionals have special expensive equipment, have work experience, relevant education and earn good money in this business.
Also photographers can be divided by the field of activity and genre of pictures:
- Photojournalists are photographers.
- Art photos are created by photo artists.
- Documentary shots are created by photo documentalists.
- Advertising photographers make advertising photos.
- Wedding photographers specialize in wedding photography.
- Forensic photographers take pictures of the scene for a forensic examination.
- The results of laboratory studies recorded photographers laboratory.
There are also family, fashion photographers, industrial, shooting industrial enterprises, street photographers and paparazzi.
Being a photographer is not given to everyone, this is a truly creative profession, in which there is a fine line between new technologies and gusts of creative thinking. Someone can press a button once and create a masterpiece, and someone has to work for a very long time for his merits to be recognized.
The pros and cons of the profession of a photographer can be seen already at the initial stages of professional activity. So, what difficulties the newcomer will have to face:
- Competition. In the market, no one is waiting for a new specialist with open arms. All places under the sun have long been occupied, and to find your own, you will need to overcome more than one opponent.
- Equipment. The quality of work directly depends on good equipment, which is very expensive.
- Patience. To get some good shots, you have to take a huge number of shots, especially when it comes to taking photos of children or wild animals.
- Individual approach. A photographer should be able to communicate with people in order to identify the most attractive features and choose the best angle for each client.
- Possible discontent. The concept of beauty is different for each person, so it is possible that the customer may remain dissatisfied if his vision of the beauty does not coincide with the same for the performer.
Perhaps these are all the main disadvantages of the profession of the photographer, now you can move on to the beautiful, that is, to the positive aspects of this activity.
- Firstly, the profession of a photographer is considered prestigious and profitable. Especially if there is an established client base, a popular brand and a couple of awards.
- Secondly, this work presupposes a free schedule, and what else does a creative person need in order not to lose his talents among the everyday routine?
- Thirdly, this profession is in demand in various fields of activity. For example, in model business, journalism, criminalistics, etc.
Basically they become photographers because they like this field of activity. No one, on the basis of mercantile reasons, will not take up a camera. Therefore, we can say that this is another plus of the profession - it allows you to earn money by doing what you really like. And this in life plays an important role.
Personality and Education Qualities
To take his place in the sun, a novice photographer must have a rich imagination, have an aesthetic taste, feel the composition, not be deprived of patience and creative imagination. As a representative of the creative profession, the photographer needs to constantly evolve, not to forget to attend exhibitions and museums, thereby improving visual perception.
Career photographer depends on how common rumors about his skill. As for the salary, it varies depending on the region of residence and business. Theoretically, everyone can be a photographer, regardless of education, he just needs to love to photograph. In this matter, the main thing is to begin: to do several photo shoots, read something somewhere, study it, test it in practice. Become a professional will help courses of photographers, studios, schools, which teach already recognized masters of this art.
Working as a photographer is really interesting. This profession provides an opportunity to meet new interesting people, travel, albeit indirectly, but to participate in the holidays. This is not office work from nine to six, where you have to go through papers and look at the computer screen, creating the appearance of hectic activity. This creativity is undiluted, and it may be difficult at the beginning of the journey due to the lack of clients or uninteresting orders, but real professionals do not give up.
The results come with experience, and the future of the profession of a photographer depends only on his desire, aspiration, sense of beauty and the desire to create masterpieces that will go down in history.
What education is needed?
How to become a food photographer? For this, it is not necessary to get a higher education. In this profession, talent, experience, creative spirit, ability to see the magic in the “simple” are more appreciated. Yes, it is desirable that a person be intellectually developed and educated (enough bachelor's degree), but the advantage is given only to those food photographers who provide a decent portfolio and can boast a solid work experience in this field.
That is why experienced professionals recommend that you begin your career as a student or assistant and at the same time receive a bachelor's degree in the arts.
You can become a successful food photographer only if:
- have a clear idea of the subject being photographed,
- it is good to know your working tools: a camera, lighting ..., and to have them perfectly,
- have spatial imagination
- know the numerous methods of placing a photo object,
- prepare well, so that when concluding a transaction with a customer, to talk about food, as they say, “in the same language”,
- be ready to perform meticulous work that requires special scrupulousness,
- be patient,
- master the art of creating a still life
- maximize your time.
Demand for this profession
Nowadays, food photographer is not difficult to find a job and make good money on it. The list of employers may be unlimited, for example:
- individual points of the restaurant business,
- food industry company
- home-based freelance work,
- corporate clients (and you can work with several customers at the same time),
- large corporation
- food company
- magazine editors,
- publishers of books about food, cooking, etc.
- companies in the field of advertising business.
Despite the demand for this profession, not everyone will take up this painstaking creative work. What are the disadvantages of this type of activity? They are few, but still it is:
- scrupulousness and routine work - not done quickly,
- a high degree of stress in the workplace in case of failures, failure to plan,
- expensive arrangement of his photo studio (in the absence of a studio at the customer-employer),
- regular off-site photo shoots, which means that you must have your own transport (preferably),
- nervous tension in connection with limited terms established by the employer, as well as repeated worries about his opinion (to meet the expectations of the customer, to adequately respond to his criticism, etc.),
- the high cost of good equipment for creating high-quality food photos,
- fatigue, lack of sleep,
- high and tough competition.
But, anyway, in this kind of activity there are lots of positive nuances. The main thing is to like it, then the cons go into the background!
The main advantages due to which people are engaged in this business:
- high profit payment,
- the opportunity to self-actualize, and also turn a hobby into a business that brings good income,
- make your creative dreams and plans come true
- choosing your own schedule - if you work in the state, and for freelance workers - a free work schedule.
If you are a creative person with a baggage of knowledge about cooking, then do not hesitate, the profession of food photographer is your vocation!
Description of the profession photographer
At first glance it may seem that to start a photographer’s career it is enough to buy a professional camera and shoot everything. Perhaps, for amateur photography, it is, but a professional has the lion's share of the time spent on the preparatory process.
Job search depends on the field of activity: journalism, model agency, coverage of cultural events (photos in museums, art galleries), advertising business, and even work in law enforcement. We want to capture the beautiful moments of each event, whether it be a graduation school, a wedding or a corporate event. It is also worth mentioning the photos on various documents - all this is the field of activity of a professional photographer.
The work of the photographer is not limited to the studio. There is a category of professionals specializing in working in hot spots in the center of military events, and lovers of wild animals in their natural environment. There is also a separate category, the so-called paparazzi, whose main task is a stunning report about the stars of show business.
The undoubted companion of the profession is patience, because you can spend more than one day searching for a rare animal or sitting in an ambush to get a picture of a celebrity.
Depending on the tasks, the specialist focuses on a specific side of the picture: a photojournalist on the information content, an advertising photographer on the implementation of the project, a fashion photographer chooses a beautiful image. It is necessary to be in trend all the time, to attend exhibitions, galleries, to be interested in new works of famous authors.
Theoretically, every person can become a photographer; a fascinating hobby gradually turns into a favorite work. Fans can achieve mastery on their own through trial and error, but for the professional level it is necessary to attend special courses and schools where they discover all the secrets of art.
The profession of a photographer is interesting and prestigious, the fee depends on the fame of the studio and the specialist in particular. But first you need to establish yourself in a competitive environment.
Do not miss:
Pros and cons of the profession of photographer
- high earnings, especially if you have built your own customer base,
- creative work, which is not inherent gray days. A free schedule, often a momentist, independently plans his working day,
- demand in various fields of activity: journalism, advertising agencies, criminology, model business,
- There is the possibility of so-called "freelancing." The photographer cooperates with different companies at the same time, fulfilling individual orders,
- it is quite difficult to drive into the professional market. In each city, the service offers a huge variety of studios,
- high-quality modern equipment is not affordable for everyone.
Career growth and wages
It is quite difficult to call the profession of a photographer a careerist. If for some the most important thing is recognition among professionals, fame and personal achievements, then for others the apogee is the organization of their own business in this area (studio, school). It is impossible to become a good momentist without studying the theory. Today on the Internet you can find a lot of useful literature, where the concepts of exposure, focus, exposure, white balance are described in detail. Constant practice is very important for a professional; therefore, wherever you go, try to take a camera with you.
Pay depends on the region, the popularity of the master or the studio on whose behalf he works. In large cities such as Moscow and St. Petersburg, the fee sometimes reaches $ 5000. On average, earnings are much lower: from 600 to 1,500 dollars.
The world is evolving every year more and more, which naturally leads to the emergence of new professions. For example, most recently, no one could have thought about the work of a food-photographer, and today this profession is gaining tremendous momentum! We managed to interview the famous photographer of Moscow, Alexey Kiselev, who found himself in a favorite business.
- Alexey, good afternoon! Many of us didn’t even think about such a profession before the interview, so I think it would be interesting to learn how to become a food photographer today? Can they be anyone who can hold a camera in their hands or do they need specialized knowledge and skills?
- Good afternoon, Lisa. In fact, any profession can be learned if you strongly want this. There is another question. As in any creative business, a sense of style and taste is important. To some it is given, to someone not, unfortunately. This is not something that can be developed with constant practice. And one more important point in my specialization: you need to love food, or rather love aesthetics and food culture. Interested in the history of food, cooking methods. This is the only way to reveal the main thing about this or that dish in the photo. Focus on important ingredients.
- I can not disagree with you about aesthetics. Alexey, I understand correctly that this profession began to be relevant literally “yesterday”? What makes this work so popular now?
- This profession has become relevant not yesterday, of course, but, let's say, the day before yesterday. With the growing popularity of instagram, as a marketing tool and PR, everyone needed photos: from the cheese factory to gourmet restaurants. In principle, it was at this moment that the photographers climbed out and caught their fame.
- How is your classic working day as a food-photographer? Это работа на фриланс основе или же нормированный график по 8 часов?
— Работа эта, конечно, не имеет четкого графика. Бывают короткие съемки, бывают и по целому дню. Когда-то заказов много, что рук не хватает, когда-то мало. Бывают пиковые месяцы: это когда меняется сезон, и все заведения делают сезонные обновления меню.
- In fact, I don’t even imagine how difficult it is to work in a non-standardized schedule. What other pros and cons do you see in your work?
- The main advantage of my work is that I do what I love and work on myself. I have already said that in this matter without the love of food in any way. I constantly learn new things in this world and this is very cool! Even when traveling to another country, the local cuisine takes up the lion’s share of my interest. Of the minuses, perhaps, only one: there is no stability: either thick or empty.
- How cool it is to work in the area to which you are not indifferent! Alexey, can you tell our readers whether there are currently specialized courses or master classes in this profession? Or where else can you get a similar education?
- I can make you happy that the courses really exist! Recently I even stumbled upon courses where they promise to teach me how to photograph your food on an iPhone! Personally, I did not go through any, I study all this myself. Started for myself as a hobby, and away we go. Therefore, I will not say about specific courses, but I think it will not be difficult to find it on the Internet.
- Alexey, returning to the shooting, it would be interesting to know: the profession of food-photographer assumes that the whole team works on a project, where someone builds the light, someone composes or does the photographer single-handedly perform all the actions for shooting?
- As for the team, I will say this: I work alone. I do not welcome food photos under artificial light. I always try to shoot in daylight. So the food looks tastier, so I do not need the same svetovik. Many work with food stylists, but I don’t understand it. This is the most interesting: decompose the composition, find the light, turn the plate to the right side. Without this, I would be bored to shoot. It all depends on your own preferences and skills in shooting.
- If you are working alone, then, probably, during the project work you have many responsibilities. How does the whole process of shooting go? How it all begins, what are you paying attention to first? And is the food always the same appetizing in reality as in the photo?
- It all starts with a discussion of the dishes that we will shoot. Then there is the preparation of the environment: everything that should be in the frame, except for the main course or product. Then the layout of the "photo-trash", as I call it, and after that there is a shooting of the dish itself. Of course, the food is not always the same as it appears on the photo. Very often the dish does not finish on purpose.
For example, a burger in a burger is always made thicker by not frying so that it is lush. And the traces of the grill make a soldering iron. Everything has its own secrets, it’s hard to say how much sales would be reduced if everyone laid out “natural” frames.
- Alexey, thank you for discovering all the secrets of this interesting and tasty profession. I think that many, at the sight of a beautiful picture of food in a restaurant, will now think about how much work has been invested in one such frame!
The profession of food-photographer is still gaining momentum. This is really anxious work, the result of which we see only in a couple of photos. In any case, this work is done with a soul and a great love for food, which is sincerely transmitted in frames to visitors.
Pros and cons of the photographer
The work of a photographer, like any other, has its advantages and disadvantages. The advantages include the following points:
- Independent choice of graphics - the photographer can work as a free artist, that is, his own master, and as a staff member of any organization. As a rule, in order to get a job officially in a good company, you need to gain experience and build yourself a reputation.
- Opportunity to engage in creativity - photos allow you to embody a huge number of interesting ideas, which means a person who loves art, such work will bring joy and help to be realized.
- High income - the sought-after momentists “with the name” have a fairly high income, as the demand for their services is constantly growing today.
- The diversity of activities - you can work in completely different directions: fashion, journalism, food photography, advertising, wedding industry, photoshoots of ordinary people, etc.
Important: Usually, the main advantages of a photographer’s work are a free schedule and the prospect of transferring a pleasant hobby into a permanent and formal activity that is not only pleasing but also highly paid.
Some people believe that there are only continuous joys in the life of a successful photographer - shooting interesting events, creative ideas, self-actualization, etc., but not everything is as cloudless as it seems at first glance, because any medal has a downside. Profession Cons:
- A large amount of routine - monotonous work on the processing of often the same type of photographs takes the lion's share of the time in the work of the photographer.
- The high cost of equipment - high-quality images can not be done without the appropriate technology, the price of which is amazing. It is also worth considering that you cannot do with a single camera - you need lenses of different characteristics, flashes, light, etc.
- Competition - today almost every man in the street wants to become the owner of high-quality photos, which leads to the emergence of a huge number of photographers for every taste and budget. Of course, the struggle for customers is serious, and we must be prepared to stand out from the crowd and surprise the consumer of services more and more difficult.
- Lack of social guarantees - if a person works for himself, then in case of illness no one will pay him sick leave or leave. That is, it is necessary to take into account such moments and save money "for a rainy day."
- Employment on holidays and weekends - usually the main peak of orders falls on the red days of the calendar, that is, the rhythm of the photographer’s life differs significantly from the standard and generally accepted, when people go to work on weekdays and rest on weekends. There are difficulties - and how to spend time with your family and loved ones?
Often the work of the photographer is perceived as a kind of celebration - people capture the beautiful and give the customers wonderful and vivid pictures, but the time-consuming process of obtaining them remains “behind the scenes”. If you are not ready to run for models for hours, wanting to catch the best angle, but you have a fantasy, then you can try to become a successful blogger - you’ll be creative in expressing yourself, and the routine is much less.
Qualities of a professional photographer
In any job, vocation and individual characteristics are important, helping to get comfortable and develop in the chosen profession. The photographer constantly interacts with people, therefore, in addition to professional skills, he must also have a number of personality traits:
- Fantasy - a photographer is a kind of artist, which means that he needs a creative streak and rich imagination to generate unique and fascinating ideas embodied in pictures that will help to stand out in a competitive environment and attract customers.
- Responsibility - notoriety runs ahead of a person: if a momentistist failed his customers a couple of times, then his reputation will be a fat spot. Inviting to shoot, customers want to see a punctual and serious professional who can be trusted, because no one wants to suddenly stay at a long-awaited wedding without a photographer, because he, for example, drank too much on the eve and oversleptly overslept.
- Knowledge of psychology - when working with models it is important to be able to find an approach to people, arrange them to yourself, show the facets of their personality with the help of photography.
- Sociability - customers will have to communicate a lot, so the photographer will not interfere with goodwill, tact and diplomatic skills.
- Quick reaction - the smiles are fleeting and each moment is unique, therefore, you need to be aware of this and be ready to catch the elusive and quickly capture the instant. Photographers see beauty in everyday things and can show it to others with pictures.
Of course, all of the above is important, but the main thing that makes the owner of a camera a real photographer is the inner fire, the ability to find exciting wonders in everyday life. French momentist Bruno Barbe said that "photography is the only language that can be understood anywhere in the world." Of course, intuitively clear - good pictures do not need comments and explanations, like good jokes, for example. Therefore, the photographer should have a desire to tell something to the world, to show a different point of view, a different reality.
How to become a photographer from scratch?
Creative people, seeking to change the scope of their activities, often wonder - is it possible to become a professional photographer from scratch without special education? It is possible, and it does not matter how old you are, where you studied and worked before. However, you will have to make an effort - to acquire theoretical and practical knowledge, as well as gain experience. First you should decide which direction in the photo is closest to you. The following types can be distinguished:
- Family photo shoots
- Love story,
- Child photography,
- Corporate events, various events,
- Commercial photography (advertising, catalogs, magazines, food photography, etc.)
Analyze - what is now popular in your city or region? What photographers are missing, although there is a demand for them? Depending on the chosen field, you will need different knowledge and different equipment. Let us consider in more detail what steps you will have on the way to mastering the profession of the photographer.
Learn the basics of theory
Fundamentals of the theory will have to learn regardless of the direction of activity. There are three main parameters that a photographer can control that affect the final result:
- Exposure - the time during which the light falls on the matrix of the camera.
- Aperture - allows you to control the diameter of the rays of light passing through the hole of the lens.
- ISO - determines the sensitivity of the matrix.
To form a general idea, these three concepts can be compared with a glass and a bottle of wine. So, ISO defines the size of the glass: the higher it is, the smaller the volume of the glass. Aging is the time during which the glass is filled with wine. The diaphragm is the diameter of the bottle neck, and wine is poured through it. The goal of the photographer is to choose the parameters in such a way that the glass is exactly full, and not poured or filled.
In order to have a good understanding of the main points, you need to familiarize yourself with the special literature or enroll in courses. You can also watch educational videos on YouTube.
Important: it sometimes seems easy to do without theory if practice replaces it. Of course, experience is very important, but basic knowledge is necessary, because otherwise you will need too much time to learn to understand why some shots are blurry and others are clear and detailed. Without knowing the basics of the composition, it is difficult to correctly put the model or harmoniously arrange objects in the frame. Without imagining what light is and how to work with it, you simply cannot correctly position the object in relation to the light source.
Learn to handle photo
Photo processing usually takes a long time. Some people think that it is enough to buy an expensive and high-quality camera, appropriate lenses for it - and then there will be no need for processing. In the end, the frame must be alive and real! However, this is not quite true. Editing an image does not kill life in it, it adds to it and emphasizes beauty. Even the most beautiful, ideal at first glance photos need to be processed: for example, you made a portrait, which means you need to retouch your skin — remove defects, draw contours, even out tone, etc.
Important: What tools do modern photographers use? Most prefer Photoshop. Primary processing such as adjusting color, exposure, contrast, light temperature, etc., is usually done in Lightroom. In fact, a huge set of programs, the above-mentioned ones are paid, but you can use the free trial version for 30 days. This will help assess whether the software is right for you.
Gain hands-on experience
Everyone understands that the experience comes with time, but you should take pictures constantly. For practical skills you can go several ways:
- Shoot everything you see - for example, acquaintances, friends, relatives, animals, nature, architecture. Subjects for photos are easy to find at every corner, you just have to look and connect the imagination. Subject shooting is easy to prepare at home - experiment with food, books, vases, etc.
- Get trained in a photo school - as a rule, practical classes are organized there, in which beginners take pictures of incoming models in some locations.
- Keep track of the cultural life of your city and region - often professional photographers organize thematic workshops or workshops for those who wish. The advantage is that your actions are coordinated by a specialist. Also, the convenience is in the absence of the need to think over the idea, select models, the place for shooting and its style - this will be done by the organizer.
- Offer your services to a novice photographer, for example, in social networks - at this stage it is better to use the TFP agreement: you shoot a model for free, and she signs a “model release”, thereby transferring to you the rights to use the created frames.
- Photograph social events - nowadays, any event is covered on the Internet: usually special meetings are created on social networks, where photographs are published. So you can get not only practical experience, but also start creating a name for yourself - people will see your photos and maybe they will like them.
How to earn a photographer?
If a person dreams of becoming a photographer and starting to earn money, then it is worth thinking about how to make a business plan and organize your activities. Photography today is in demand in many areas, so it is important to determine the specialization. We will discuss different options that allow the momentist to get income.
Private photo shoot
Many modern photographers earn it on private photo shoots. What it is? This shooting, as a rule, absolutely ordinary people. Now it is fashionable to have photographs of all significant events, be it a wedding or a child's birthday. Most web users like to change the main photos on their pages precisely in accordance with the season: in the summer you want to be somewhere in the fields or the sea, showing the public that unity with nature was the place to be, and in the winter ... who does not want to get colorful photos in the winter background elegant Christmas tree and a burning garland? Therefore, private photo shoots are currently gaining immense popularity. Consider the places where you can hold them:
- On the street - in the forest, on the embankment, square, etc. Variants of the sea, as in each city there are beautiful and picturesque locations. You can choose the subject of shooting, prepare the scenery and pick up accessories. For example, a photo session in the style of "Aviator" or "Russian Winter". For the latter, it is quite easy to find everything you need - old sledges, felt boots, Pavloposad shawls, earflaps, samovars with dryers, etc.
- In the photo studio - a great option for beginners, because it is easier to shoot in the studio than on the street. Why? There are interior or backgrounds with which you can learn to work in advance. However, one must keep in mind that studio lighting requires special knowledge.
- Homes, cafes, hotels, etc. - Home decor or a nice cozy cafe is quite suitable for a photo shoot. But there is one caveat - rooms that are small in size limit even a good photographer - you have to get a lens that allows you to shoot at a small focal length. You will also need to resolve the issue with the light - or use a flash, or carry with you special lamps.
Earnings on photobanks
Photobanks are specialized resources on the Internet where photographers can try to sell their pictures. Who buys them and why? Everyone understands that the photos belong to the author and you can’t just take someone else’s work and, for example, put it in a journal as an illustration of the article. Or you need a photo for advertising, site content and similar purposes. Where to take a good and suitable frame? Of course, you can take a picture, but sometimes it is easier and cheaper to buy a finished picture. This is what photobanks are for.
Important: in order to really earn money by selling your work through photobanks, you will have to devote a lot of time at first. An individual and vibrant portfolio is required.
One photo can be sold several times, so it is important to capture fashion trends well and understand what is popular. The most popular topics now include the following:
- Business area,
- The medicine,
- Various items
- Tourist attractions
Just think about what photos you often see in the media - they write about retirees, which means they need pictures. Many sites and magazines whose target audience are mothers with children need pictures of babies. Для бизнеса подойдут кадры с документами, портфелями, графиками и т.д. И этот список можно продолжать бесконечно… стоит только обратить внимание на то, что вы наблюдаете каждый день.
It should be borne in mind that usually photos are taken specially for photobanks, since they must have a number of characteristics: high quality, lack of logos and brands in the frame, conciseness and clarity of thought.
There are a lot of photo stocks and networks, but if you want to quickly start making profits, register best at the most popular ones:
Important: When uploading photos, it is very important to think carefully about key phrases and words, since they are used to search for images by buyers.
Work at various institutions
The photographer can work as a staff member of any organization. If you are attracted to stability, then you should ponder what the appropriate institutions are in your city. Visit them, taking with you a pre-prepared diversified portfolio. You can pay attention to:
- Advertising agencies,
- Editorial offices of newspapers and magazines,
- Recreational facilities.
Many photographers collaborate with the Geometria project, shooting, for example, events and various concerts. Schools, kindergartens, universities also usually need the services of a photographer, but the work is most often carried out under a contract. Restaurants, hotels, recreation centers, as a rule, update both the interior and the menu, therefore, they will need photo shoots that will favorably emphasize innovations. Online shopping is important to beautifully remove the goods sold, therefore, for this purpose, the photographer is often also often invited. Thus, there is plenty of room for a big business, if you do not sit back and earn yourself both experience and customer base, as well as reputation.
How much do photographers earn?
This question cannot be answered unambiguously, since earnings depend on many factors - region of residence, level of competition, experience of the photographer and the direction of his activity. Beginners momentists, as a rule, first time working on recruiting customer base and replenishing the portfolio, not pursuing the goal of earning as much money as possible. Usually in the regions the lower bracket prices for the services of a novice photographer - 1000 rubles for one hour of work (renting a studio when it is necessary is paid separately). Most often, when pricing, novice photographers are guided by the policy of dumping, as this allows them to join the competitive environment. It is important to be able to find a common language with customers and to feel that people want to get from the shooting. Then you will be advised to friends and acquaintances. Photographers "with a name" and experience often organize various thematic photo projects, where clients are offered decorations and sometimes even outfits. These photoshoots cost from 4,000 rubles per hour of shooting. As a result, the customer receives about 15-20 processed images. The photographer incurs additional costs for renting a studio, creating scenery, etc. It turns out that the income of an average photographer depends on his professional skills, as well as on the number of clients who turn to him for services.
Where to get training in photo art?
It is never too late to learn, but in the case of photography, it is simply necessary. If you wish to study, you can consider the following options:
- Self-education - reading books and articles, viewing educational videos on YouTube. Most famous photographers have master classes on various subjects, and there are both paid lessons and free ones. Some professionals provide consulting services via Skype.
- Photo school - involves paid classes of both theoretical and practical nature. Usually a course in a photo school is designed for 1-3 months and costs an average of 15,000 rubles. If you are going to take courses, then first it’s worth finding out the reviews about them: are there people with professional experience, what are the results of the graduates, who are the course materials (wedding photographers, children’s, etc.).
- Higher education - teaching photography at the university. The most difficult and time-consuming way, but it will allow you to learn all the subtleties and get a variety of skills. The disadvantages are the long period of study and its high price.
- Internship - a device as an assistant to any professional photographer. A great option for those who want to acquire practical knowledge. Experience is the main teacher, therefore, if you get a competent mentor, you will very quickly get used to the profession.
What equipment will a photographer need?
Of course, a professional photographer can not do with a single camera - the number of necessary equipment is amazing. However, you can start small:
- Camera. There are possible options - mirror or mirrorless. It is cheaper to buy high-quality SLR, as professional mirrorless cameras are very expensive (about 100 thousand rubles), and the lenses to them often exceed the cost of the carcass. Also, when choosing a camera, it is important to decide whether you want a full-frame or not (crop). The price of a full frame is higher, as well as lenses to it. Its advantage is the best image quality in low light conditions, which is achieved due to lower matrix noise and higher sensitivity.
- Lenses. As a rule, one is not enough. Usually lenses are selected depending on the working conditions. For example, if you plan to engage in reportage photography (weddings, corporate parties), then it is better to pay attention to the zoom lenses, which are characterized by the fact that they allow you to change the focal length. If you are the owner of a full-frame camera, then it makes sense to choose a lens with a focal length of 70-200 mm, 24-70 mm will fit to the crop. Studio shooting or portraits will be better obtained with a fixed-lens. For a portrait photo shoot in full frame, you need lenses of 85 or 135 mm, for a crop a good choice is 50-85 mm.
- External flash
This is the basic minimum, but in the process of work, many photographers seek to expand the composition of their equipment - you want to have your own light, several flashes, reflectors, umbrellas, backgrounds, racks for lighting, etc.
Can I become a photographer from scratch on my own?
For a creative person, nothing is impossible, which means you need to move towards your goal. Above, we reviewed in detail the steps that need to be taken. Of course, the necessary equipment is quite expensive, which means that in order to become a photographer, substantial financial investments will be required. If you do not have the means, then you can ponder - how to get money for a business? Consider different options - borrow from your friends, register as an entrepreneur and get a loan for individual entrepreneurs without collateral and guarantors. In the case of official registration of activities, one should remember about obligations - it is quite easy to find out tax debts using the Internet.