In fact, prunes are dried plum fruits. But not every plum variety is suitable for drying, most often Hungarian Italian is used for this purpose. Other varieties will do as well, but remember that the flesh must be rather dense, fleshy and sweet, otherwise after drying only one skin can remain, which, moreover, will be sour.
In general, the plum is dried in natural conditions, and in this case prunes turn out to be especially tasty and sweet. But sometimes they use furnaces or special dryers, this is also quite acceptable. But unscrupulous manufacturers plum "flavored" with enzymes and additives.
The composition of prunes includes the mass of nutrients. Here are just a few of them: pectins, organic acids, fiber, proteins, starch, carbohydrates, fluorides, calcium, magnesium, iron, zinc, potassium, phosphorus, sodium, and also vitamins E, K, A, C, B3, B6, B5, B9, B2 and B1. The caloric value of 100 grams of the product is about 230-250 calories (it depends on the variety of plums and the sugar content in it).
We list the beneficial properties of prunes:
- It is an excellent source of energy. After eating a handful of prunes, you will forget about hunger and get a boost of energy.
- Such dried fruits are very useful for anemia, because they contain iron.
- Part of the potassium strengthens the heart muscle and normalizes the cardiovascular system.
- Magnesium is necessary for the normal functioning of the nervous system, so that by regularly using prunes, you will get rid of depression, apathy, anxiety and other similar problems.
- Fiber helps to normalize digestion (knowingly, such dried fruits are recommended for people suffering from constipation).
- Vitamin C, which is also part of, firstly, strengthens the immune system and protects against frequent colds, secondly, strengthens and tones the vascular walls, preventing the development of atherosclerosis.
- Protein is a building material for all cells and tissues of our body. Especially it is necessary for muscles.
- Prune normalizes the water-soy balance and removes excess fluid.
- B vitamins strengthen our nerves and normalize metabolism.
- The composition contains antioxidants that protect the body's tissues from the negative effects of free radicals and prevent the development of cancer.
- These dried fruits are beneficial for beriberi.
- Zinc has an anti-inflammatory effect, so it’s good to use prunes for some inflammatory diseases.
How to make a choice?
How to choose prunes? Pay attention to the following points:
- High-quality and properly dried fruits usually have a black color with a slight sheen. But the brown tint will be a signal of improper processing, namely scalding with boiling water to increase the shelf life. A strong shine will tell you that the surface of the dried fruit has been treated with glycerin.
- It is best to purchase prunes with a stone. First, there will be much fewer bacteria in it (after all, it’s not a fact that the bones were removed with clean hands in gloves), and second, the beneficial properties will be more numerous.
- Soak the fruit in water for half an hour. Quality places will be covered with white bloom, poor quality tint will not change.
- Prunes should smell like plum, but not mold or stale.
- Fruits should not be too hard, quite elastic and fleshy.
- Prunes should not be very sticky and all the more slippery.
- There should be no cracks or stains on the surface.
Incredibly delicious stewed prunes in sour cream with nuts. To prepare this dish you will need:
- 500 grams of prunes,
- 500 ml sour cream (medium fat),
- 100 grams of walnuts,
- 50 grams of sugar
- 1 cup of water.
- To begin, wash the prunes and pour boiling water over it for about 15-30 minutes (the exact time will depend on the hardness of the dried fruit). Now drain the boiling water, cool the prunes and, making cuts (only on one side, it is not necessary to divide the fruits into halves), remove the stones.
- In place of the bones, place the nuts. It would be better if they are whole, or rather divided into halves, but not crumbled into small pieces.
- Now take a cauldron or pot with a thick bottom. Grease the bottom with butter.
- Mix sour cream with water and sugar, mix until smooth.
- Pour a little sour cream sauce on the bottom of the pan (so the dried fruits will not burn) and begin to lay the prunes in even layers.
- Pour the rest of the sour cream. But it is better to water with sauce each layer of dried fruit.
- Cover the pan with a lid and send to an oven heated to 170-180 degrees for about 30 or 40 minutes.
Delicious and tasty chicken, baked with prunes in the oven. Here is what you need for cooking:
- 1 kilogram of chicken legs (you can take a whole carcass),
- 300 grams of prunes,
- 1 lemon,
- salt, pepper and a wide variety of spices (you can use your favorite or specially designed for cooking chicken),
- 3-4 tablespoons of vegetable oil.
- First you need to marinate the chicken. If you decide to use the whole carcass, then cut it into pieces. Wash the meat well and dry (with paper towels).
- Now squeeze the juice from the lemon into a bowl, add 2-3 tablespoons of vegetable oil (leave a little to grease the baking tray), pepper, salt and seasonings. Mix everything.
- Pour the resulting marinade chicken and leave for a few hours.
- Drain the prunes with boiling water, and when it softens, remove, cool and remove the bones from it.
- Place the marinated chicken on the bottom of the pan (grease it with butter), put the prunes between the pieces.
- Straighten the baking sheet in the oven and cook for about 40-50 minutes at a temperature of 170-180 degrees.
Juicy obtained beef with prunes. The following ingredients are required.
- 700-800 grams of beef,
- 2 bulbs,
- 200 grams of prunes,
- 1 carrot,
- 4 tablespoons of vegetable oil,
- 5 tablespoons of tomato paste,
- 5 bunches of dill greens,
- salt and pepper to taste.
- Prepare the vegetables first. Peel the onions and carrots. Finely chop the onion, grate the carrot. Fry everything together in vegetable oil, add tomato paste and stew for a couple of minutes.
- Rinse beef and cut into small pieces, fry too.
- Prune for half an hour, pour boiling water over it. If there are bones, remove them.
- Put all the ingredients in the cauldron, cover it with a lid and put on fire for 40 minutes.
- Add pepper, salt and greens, simmer still 10-20 minutes.
- Done! Serve with potatoes or rice.
Make a delicious salad with prunes, beets and walnuts. You will need:
- 2 fairly large beets,
- 100-150 grams of walnuts,
- 200 grams of prunes,
- salt to taste
- sour cream or mayonnaise for refueling.
- Beets need to boil and peel, then grate on a large or medium grater.
- Prune with boiling water, cool and cut into small pieces.
- Chop walnuts a little (but not much, their taste should be felt in the salad).
- Mix all the ingredients, add salt, season the salad and mix well.
Be sure to include prunes in your menu, it turns out very tasty dishes!
Little about the benefits
Dried fruits are colossal and well-deserved popularity. And there is nothing surprising here: after all, they themselves are completely ready-to-eat delicacies.
But dried fruit is no worse than its fresh counterparts are also suitable for making desserts. Moreover, they even have a number of advantages: they are available at any time of the year, they are well kept and, thanks to modern drying technologies, they retain the maximum amount of useful substances.
Prunes, for example, are not only surprisingly tasty, but also extremely useful:
- It has a very beneficial effect on the digestive and cardiovascular systems,
- improves metabolism and reduces weight,
- It has outstanding antibacterial and antioxidant properties,
- gives a boost of energy, improves performance and rejuvenates.
What they don't do out of it only: compotes and jellies, salads and fruit soups, pie filling, sweets and ice cream. Recipes there is an incredible variety.
We offer you to get acquainted with several fantastically delicious desserts prepared on the basis of prunes. We hope that they will please you and take their place in the piggy bank of recipes.
This is probably the easiest to prepare, but deliciously delicious recipe with prunes. Its creation does not take more than 15 minutes, and the result invariably causes delight. Ingredients minimum:
- 300 g sour cream (20 - 25% fat),
- 200 g prunes (pitted),
- 100 g of sugar and walnuts,
- 3 - 4 pieces of chocolate.
The first step is to soak the prunes so that it will become soft. To do this, it is enough to pour hot water for 5 minutes. But not with boiling water - otherwise the fruit will sprawl unappetizingly.
In order not to waste time while the prunes are soaked, it is worth mixing sour cream with sugar. You need to mix thoroughly, ensuring complete dissolution.
5 minutes have passed - you can remove prunes from the water. Dry it before use: with a napkin or paper towel.
Now begins the formation of dessert. In portions vases the first layer is laid prunes. For convenience, it can be cut into small pieces. The next layer is lightly chopped nuts. It remains to pour all the cream sauce.
Dessert is better to stand in the fridge for several hours to get well soaked. Before serving, each portion should be powdered with grated chocolate. Amazingly tasty dish is ready!
Not to mention the simple, but very tasty homemade candies based on prunes (as they say, without dyes and preservatives). To create them will need:
- 250 g of prunes (of course, without stones),
- 100 g almonds - ground and chopped,
- a teaspoon of cinnamon.
The cooking process is quite simple:
- Dried plum fruit should be soaked in hot water (for 10 - 15 minutes). Then get and dry. After that, they need to grind with a blender.
- Mix the resulting mass with ground almonds and cinnamon. If it turns out a little dry, you can add a little water or honey.
- From the created "dough" to form candies - small, with a walnut, balls. Roll them on all sides in chopped almonds. Before serving, store in the refrigerator.
Very unusual and deliciously cake, combining lush biscuit dough and tender jelly filling. To create it you need:
- 3 eggs,
- 100 g flour,
- hl baking powder,
- 2 tbsp. l starch,
- 1 cup of sugar,
- 250 g sour cream (20% fat) and soft cottage cheese,
- 200 g pitted prunes,
- 10 g of gelatin,
- 50 g chocolate.
First, the cake is baked - biscuit:
Eggs are well beaten with a half cup of sugar and mixed with flour, starch and baking powder - the dough is ready. The form must be used detachable - otherwise the finished cake can not be removed without damaging. Biscuit is baked for 20 minutes in an oven heated to 200 degrees. After being ready, he should be allowed to cool right in the form.
While the base cools, you need to do the preparation of the upper jelly layer:
- In a ¼ cup of cold water, soak the gelatin. Prune pour half a glass of hot water (not boiling water!).
- After 10 minutes, soak the fruit out of the water and dry. Next - cut them into small pieces. Infusion formed during soaking, pour, filtering, into gelatin. Warm up everything in a water bath until gelatin dissolves without residue.
- Now you need to beat the mixer sour cream, cottage cheese and the remaining sugar. After that add to the mass of prunes and gelatin. Mix everything well and pour on the cake that has cooled by this time.
- Take the next cake in the fridge and leave it there for 4 hours to set.
Before serving, release it from the mold and decorate with grated chocolate. Very beautiful and incredibly tasty! Enjoy your meal!
Features cooking jam
Recipes for this dessert are many. Some of them are very simple, others are quite complex. But there is no doubt that each of them will help to cook a truly delicious dessert that will not leave anyone indifferent.
Here are some tips to help make delicious jam:
- Plums are often attacked by insects. Because of this, it is necessary to ensure the integrity of the fruits, if they are prepared with bones.
- Whole fruit before cooking should be pierced with a toothpick. This procedure will contribute to a good impregnation of sugar syrup and will not allow the fruit to crack.
- Jam of plums can not be cooked for too long, because they are very tender and can turn into porridge.
- It is not recommended to use unripe fruits, they will only spoil the future dessert. But overripe fruit will cause fermentation during storage.
Preparation of the main ingredient
For cooking delicacy, only the Hungarian variety is used. Exclusively ripe fruits without signs of spoilage are selected. Then they are thoroughly washed in warm water and then bones are removed from them through a small incision. If crushed fruits are used, they are cut completely.
When cooking dried prunes jam, they should also be washed well, then pour boiling water and leave for half an hour so that they swell. If they have bones, they are removed in steamed form.
A simple five-minute recipe for the winter
- 1 kg of fresh prunes.
- 500 grams of sugar.
Fruits are washed in warm water, peeled, and laid out in a saucepan. Sugar is poured from above, the container is set aside for juice extraction for 24 hours.
The next day, dishes with a future treat are put on a small fire and brought to a boil. After 5-10 minutes, the pan is removed from the stove and cooled.
Jam is poured into sterilized jars, they are rolled over with lids and sent to be stored in a suitable place.
To make jam you need:
Fruits are washed and dried. Then each of them is pierced with a toothpick. Prunes are transferred to an enamel container, covered with granulated sugar and left to stand for 3 hours.
The saucepan is sent to the stove, where it is cooked until boiling over low heat. Then the power of the burner is increased, and the fruits are prepared for another 5 minutes with constant stirring in order to avoid burning. Foam is removed.
The jam is poured over the cans and cleaned in a cool place. You should know that the pitted dessert after a long time absorbs harmful elements. Therefore, you can not store such a product for more than 2 months.
To do this plum delicacy, you need to prepare:
- Prunes (weighed after removing the seed) - 1 kg.
- Sugar - 1250 g.
- Water - 400 ml.
Water and sugar are mixed in an enamel pot, and then thick syrup is cooked. Then it is filtered and boiled again. Prunes are added to it and immediately removed from the stove.
After 3 hours, the pan is moved to the oven again. Fruits in syrup boil for 10 minutes. And again, after 3 hours, the procedure is repeated.
Then it is still waiting for 3 hours, jam is prepared for 5 minutes. The result is a rather thick product that will be stored for a long time.
With nuts and brandy
To cook a dessert with savory notes, you should prepare the following ingredients:
- Prune, stoned - 1 kg.
- Sugar - 750 g
- Walnuts - 100 g.
- Cognac - 20 ml.
Halved fruits are filled with sugar (400 g) and infused for 1 hour. Nuts are finely chopped with a knife, filled with water and also infused for 1 hour, and then the water is drained.
The saucepan with the fruit is put on a small fire, after boiling, they boil for 20 minutes and stir regularly. Next, pour the remaining sugar and nuts, jam is prepared for another 30 minutes.
Before the end of cooking, brandy is added, and the dishes are removed from the stove. In sterilized jars, this dessert can be stored outside the refrigerator.
Cooked delicacy need of the following ingredients:
- Pumpkin pulp - 1 kg.
- Unrefined prunes - 1 kg.
- Sugar - 500 g
- Nutmeg, cinnamon and vanilla - each spice 1 g.
The pumpkin is cut into cubes, pits are removed from the prunes, and its pulp is crushed into slices. Then they are mixed, covered with sand and infused for 3 hours.
Prunes with pumpkin boil for 10 minutes, then after 8 hours, the procedure is repeated and vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg are added. Everything is mixed well and left for 1 hour.
Then the future jam is boiled again, cooked for 5 minutes and decomposed into jars.
- Peeled prunes - 2 kg.
- Sugar - 1.5 kg.
- Walnut kernel - 250 g
Fruits are cut into halves, covered with sugar and sent to infuse for 2 hours.
Nuts are crushed and slightly fried.
After the appearance of the juice from the plums, the jam is cooked on a quiet fire for half an hour, then nuts are added to it, and the process continues for another 20 minutes. The finished dessert rolls into jars.
This delicious jam will appeal to absolutely everyone. To make it you need:
- Prunes, released from the seed - 1.5 kg.
- Sugar - 400 g
- Cocoa - 50 g
- Butter - 100 g
Prunes are ground in a blender, covered with sugar and infused for 30 minutes. Then half an hour cooked over low heat.
Далее добавляется масло, какао, все аккуратно перемешивается, и лакомство варится еще 15 минут.
Banks with this extraordinary delicacy should be stored in dark and cool places.
These products are required for cooking:
Fruits lightly press down so that they are slightly cracked and give juice. Then they insist 2 hours. After the saucepan with plums is sent to a slow fire. Cold water is added to it to avoid burning. After boiling, the mass is boiled for 15 minutes and cooled.
Every 6 hours, two more times the procedure is repeated. Fans of thick jam can increase the number of approaches up to 4 times.
To prepare you need:
- Prunes - 2 kg.
- Sugar - 800 g
- Cinnamon - a quarter tsp.
Fruits are filled with sugar and infused for several hours until a sufficient amount of juice appears.
Then the pot with the future jam is moved to the stove and cooked on a quiet fire 15 minutes after the start of boiling.
Then prunes again sent to stand for 5 hours. After this time, the dessert is also boiled for a quarter of an hour after boiling. And again, the capacity is set aside for 5-6 hours.
Before rolling it up, boil it again for half an hour over low heat after it boils.
- Prunes - 500 g
- Apples - 600 g
- Sugar - 500 g
Plums are cut into slices, stones are thrown. The apple core is removed, and they are also crushed.
All prunes are poured into the prepared container, it is filled with half of the granulated sugar, and the apples are laid on top.
Then the rest of sugar is brought in, the saucepan is left overnight for fruit juice to be extracted.
The resulting mass is placed on a small fire and brought to a boil. It boils for 7 minutes, but it is important not to allow a large boil. The future jam is constantly stirred, and the foam is removed.
The finished product is removed from the stove and cools at room temperature. Then the cooking procedure is repeated 1 or 2 more times. Hot dessert is poured into jars, which are pre-sterilized.
Prune jam all year round pleases with its amazing taste of gourmets and sweet teeth. It is easy to prepare, and quite a lot of recipes are collected.
It is best to store jars of jam in the refrigerator if there is little sugar in it. And if a lot, you can keep them in a dark closet. To make the product spicy, add cinnamon, orange zest, nutmeg.
For stuffing, it is desirable to use large prunes, from which the bone is previously removed. Before stuffing dried fruits, they are briefly soaked in water. It is necessary that they soften and grow in size.
The product prepared in such a way is squeezed, lightly dried and filled with the selected filling. Despite the variety of options, prunes stuffed with mushrooms, nuts or cottage cheese are especially popular among lovers of such dishes. Often garlic, cheese, greens and boiled eggs are added to the filling.
As for the process of stuffing, there are several ways. This can be done through a slightly stretched hole through which the bone was removed. Some cooks make small cuts around this hole and completely fill the prunes with the filling. In this case, the finished dried fruit looks like small kegs.
There is another way of stuffing, in which the fruit is cut in half, but not to the very end, and spread inside the stuffing. Prunes made with this method are very similar to the opened mussel shells.
Option with nuts and sour cream
According to the following recipe, you can cook a delicious dessert relatively quickly. Prunes stuffed with sour cream and walnuts, will be a nice addition to the friendly gatherings. To create it you will need:
- 500 grams of prunes,
- 500 milliliters sour cream,
- ½ cup of sugar
To make the stuffed dried fruits softer and more tasty, they are poured with boiling water and left for half an hour. Thirty minutes later the prunes are laid out on a towel and they are waiting for the remaining liquid to drain from it. In the meantime, you can do the cream. For its preparation, sugar and sour cream are combined in one bowl and whipped with a mixer or a blender. Nuts are shelled, roasted in a dry skillet and filled with each prunes. Ready dessert spread in a bowl and pour cream.
Option with rum
This exquisite dessert is perfect for a romantic dinner. To make unusual and very fragrant prunes stuffed with nuts, you need simple and easily accessible ingredients. In your kitchen must be:
- 200 grams of pitted prunes,
- 100 milliliters sour cream,
- 50 grams of peeled nuts,
- a couple tablespoons of rum,
- 50 milliliters of cream,
- 50 grams of powdered sugar,
- fresh mint.
Pre-steamed dried fruits are laid out in a suitable container and filled with rum. Fifteen minutes later, marinated prunes are filled with chopped nuts and put into a bowl. Now it's time to take a sauce. For its preparation in one bowl, whip sour cream with powdered sugar and add cream there, without ceasing to work as a mixer. Stuffed prunes pour the resulting sauce and served on the table.
Option with lentils
Dried fruits, made according to the technology described below, have a spicy, moderately spicy taste. Therefore, they will make a great snack or a good side dish for baked meat. For their preparation you will need:
- 300 grams of prunes,
- 50 grams of red lentils
- a pair of cloves of garlic,
- 100 grams of peeled walnuts.
Pre-soaked lentils are boiled in salted water. As soon as it is ready, nuts and garlic are added to it and crushed with a blender. Dried fruits are scalded with boiling water and filled with the resulting mass. Serve prunes stuffed with garlic and lentils on a beautiful flat dish lined with lettuce leaves.
Option with chocolate and condensed milk
This very tasty and nutritious dessert will surely please both the older and younger generation. But it turns out quite high-calorie, so it should not be consumed too often. It is prepared using very simple technology and low-cost ingredients. Before you start making stuffed prunes, make sure that you have everything you need in your house. This time you will need:
- 500 grams of prunes,
- ½ cans of condensed milk,
- 200 grams of 36% cream,
- a couple tablespoons of vanilla sugar,
- a few cloves of chocolate
- any peeled nuts.
Dried fruits without stones pour boiling water and leave for twenty minutes. Then the liquid is drained, and dried prunes are dried on paper towels. After that, one nut is placed in each of the fruits. Stuffed prunes are laid out in ice-cream bowls, poured over condensed milk and sprinkled with grated chocolate. The finished dessert is decorated with cream, whipped with vanilla sugar, and served on the table.
Option with cottage cheese
According to the following recipe, you can relatively quickly make an original fragrant snack, which will be a worthy decoration of any feast. It is prepared from a non-standard set of ingredients, so make sure in advance that you have at hand:
- 40 large prunes,
- 200 grams of sour soft curd,
- a pair of cloves of garlic,
- 100 grams of peeled walnuts,
- tablespoon of mayonnaise.
Washed dried fruits pour boiling water and leave for half an hour. In the meantime, mashed cottage cheese, mayonnaise, crushed garlic and chopped nuts are combined in one pot. All this is well mixed until uniform. The resulting mass is filled with each prunes and put it all in the fridge. After four hours the appetizer will be completely ready for use.
Recipes stuffed prunes are extremely simple. Therefore, with the preparation of such dishes cope any novice. To make another interesting dessert you will need:
- 300 grams of dried or smoked prunes without stones,
- a tablespoon of cocoa,
- 300 milliliters of 25% sour cream,
- 100 grams of shelled walnuts,
- 5 tablespoons of fine crystalline sugar.
Dried fruits are briefly steamed in boiling water, dried and incised so that on one side a so-called pocket is formed. In each of them put walnuts and placed in a bowl. Now it's time to take a sweet fill. To create it in one bowl, combine sour cream with sugar and beat it all with a mixer. The resulting sauce is spread on the bowl with dried fruit. Before serving, prunes stuffed with nuts in sour cream are sprinkled with powdered cocoa.
Hard Cheese Option
Snack, prepared according to this recipe, has a spicy, slightly sour taste and a pleasant lemon flavor. It consists of easily accessible and inexpensive products that you can buy in any modern supermarket. Before you go to the kitchen table, be sure to double-check whether you have at hand everything you need. In this case, you will need:
- 250 grams of prunes pitted,
- a teaspoon of mayonnaise,
- 50 grams of any hard cheese
- garlic clove,
- 50 grams of peeled walnuts,
- natural lemon juice.
Prunes spread in a deep bowl, pour boiling water and leave for fifteen minutes. Steamed dried fruits dry wipe with disposable kitchen towels and clean to the side. In a separate bowl combine grated cheese, roasted chopped nuts, crushed garlic and mayonnaise. All this is well mixed until homogeneous. Prunes fill the resulting mass and spread on a beautiful flat dish. The finished snack is decorated with fresh greens and poured with natural lemon juice.
Many housewives, who often prepare such dishes, argue that they can be served not only for a family dinner, but also for a solemn dinner. Prunes make amazingly delicious desserts and original savory snacks.
Experienced cooks are advised to choose for these purposes dried fruits, on the surface of which there is no unnatural brilliance. Gloss usually indicates that such prunes were treated with glycerin. The surface of high-quality fruit should be painted in a uniform dark color. This prune has a sweet taste. The presence of mild acidity indicates that the fruit contains some amount of ascorbic acid.
Of course, the easiest way to buy dried fruit without stones. But if you could not find such prunes, then you can remove them yourself. To do this, the fruits are pre-steamed with boiling water, and then the stones are easily pulled out of them.
The options for stuffing stuffed prunes are so varied that each of you will find something that will please him. According to the reviews of experienced housewives, the most delicious are dried fruits filled with not too greasy cottage cheese, garlic, greens, eggs and cheese. Often, these dishes complement mushrooms, chicken or minced meat. As for desserts, the most interesting are the options that include nuts, whipped cream, condensed milk and chocolate.