If you dream of becoming a writer, then try to fulfill such a dream, because it is quite real. And helpful tips will help.
First, see if you need it, if you can be a writer.
- First of all, to write really interesting, you need talent, but not many have it. Do you have it? If yes, then try for sure!
- Secondly, understand that writing is not only fame, money and a sea of fans. Yes, you probably will have it all. But many even very talented people remain unknown. But even if you are destined to become a famous genius, it can happen very soon. First you have to write, write and write again to get noticed.
- Thirdly, you need to have at least some skills. It requires literacy, language skills, logical thinking, a developed imagination, and so on. Do you have all this?
If on all points it turns out that you will not become a “shark”, you should not be upset. Your vocation is different, and in another field you will succeed!
How to start writing?
So, how to become a real writer?
Some useful recommendations:
- To get started is to choose the right genre. So, if you are a born romantic, then you can probably write novels. If you have an irresistible craving for adventure and a perfectly working imagination, then most likely you will get wonderful books in the genre of adventure or fiction. And if you want to investigate crimes and know how to think logically, try writing detective stories.
- Read books. Why do you need it? First, you can learn many new words, turns and various techniques, and this will definitely benefit you. Secondly, you will understand how best to build and structure the product. Thirdly, it will help to determine the genre. And fourthly, you can develop your own style. But read as many books of different writers and different genres as possible, otherwise you will focus on one thing and unwittingly begin to copy the style of your favorite author.
- Evolve! It is not easy to write books, for this you need to be educated and diversified in order not only to be able to insert beautiful words and complex terms into the text, but also to do so appropriately, and also to convey to readers the meaning of what has been written.
- Start your own blog. First, you will be able to express your thoughts, secondly, you will receive constructive criticism and, thirdly, you will probably find first readers and even admirers.
- Write letters. And you can write to both familiar people and complete strangers. And the last option is more preferable, because strangers will treat you impartially and will be able to evaluate your efforts objectively.
- Keep a diary. Record in it all your thoughts, events of the past day, feelings and feelings, as well as the statements of others you liked and remembered, or the quotes heard or read somewhere.
- Learn to delve into the essence of objects, things and events. For example, having seen some unfamiliar object or device, try to find out about it as much as possible, and in the smallest details. This will help to think in detail (this is important for the writer), as well as to develop.
- Practice your fantasy. Start small. For example, when you see a person on the street or in public transport, think up his life. Mentally describe his house, imagine what his children, relatives could look like. Ponder on how he could work, in what areas he would succeed. By the way, this can be not only a kind of fitness for the imagination, but also a way to find heroes for your future books.
- Catch inspiration and write when you have it. If it rarely visits you (even geniuses have creative crises), then look for new sources. It can be interesting impressions and vivid emotions, communication with interesting people, delicious food, favorite music, a hobby and so on.
- Learn to describe events, people and objects, readers love the details. For example, when you see a person, carefully consider him and try to describe the facial expressions, character, facial features, and figure as clearly as possible.
- If you plan to become a writer of articles, learn to notice the most important and express thoughts clearly.
- Write only in a good mood, otherwise nothing interesting and worthwhile will come to you.
- Let's read to others what you wrote. Let it be short stories or only sketches, it does not matter. An independent reader will be able to evaluate the style and understand whether the written is interesting or not. And it is desirable to look for such critics not among relatives and relatives (not all of them will be able to tell the truth, fearing to offend you), but among unfamiliar or virtually unfamiliar people.
- Do not force yourself to write, if you don’t want this at the moment, nothing good will come of it.
- And yet you need to write as much as possible and regularly, only this will hone your skills. It is advisable to devote a certain time to this activity daily. For example, you can look for inspiration, collect and organize thoughts during the day, and in the evening before bedtime take a sheet and paper (or a laptop) and express everything that has accumulated in your head.
- Do you dream of becoming a novelist? Try to watch couples in love. Describe their behavior, facial expressions, gestures, communication, attitudes, and so on. This will allow more volumetric and interesting to convey high feelings, and it is for this that romantic writers appreciate.
- Understand that it is not quantity that matters, but quality. Some stunning and brilliant works are the only creations of the author. And some writers write books for several years, trying to reach perfection.
- Learn to learn from everything. So, even if something bad happened to you, use this event to write a book. Or think of another scenario, connecting the imagination.
- Take the criticism calmly and listen to it, some advice and an outside look can be helpful.
- Chat with other writers, or at least read their statements.
- Use for plotting any ideas, even the most seemingly crazy. It is from these thoughts that true masterpieces are born.
Good luck to you in such a difficult task and well-deserved glory!
Who is a writer really
Writer - It is a person who creates works intended for public consumption. For the specified type of activity he receives a reward. Another form of this activity is recognizing a person as a writing community, critics, or receiving other peer review.
This is a hobby or profession.
The writer should be:
- Employable - between the ideas in the head and the book in the cover are hours of work.
- Literate - no corrector will correct a huge number of errors.
- Persistent - you need to be able to present beautiful ideas. It will have to spend many hours at the computer.
- Formed - many authors keep diaries in which they write beautiful speeches, sensations, scenes, etc. They will need this material for their work.
- Be able to express your thoughts, feelings, mood.
A writer can be a person who has talent. Appropriate skills can be developed, a sense of style - instill. However, it is very hard to train a person to transfer the idea from head to paper. But probably.
Is it possible to earn on this
Typically, publishers pay 10% of the copy value, and retail makes a 100% mark-up. The author receives approximately 5% of the cost of the book on the shelf. Novice writers publish works in the amount of 2-4 thousand copies. If the unit fee is 10 rubles, then you can get 40 thousand rubles from that amount.
You can sell books via the Internet, setting your own price. All profits will be fully owned by the author. Circulation will depend on the popularity of labor.
How to start a career as a writer
Writing, like any kind of art, is based on clear rules. To become a writer and earn a living from this occupation, you will have to drive yourself into the framework of terms and topics. But first you need to do a lot of work.
1. Choose a genre and your style
The correctly chosen genre is an absolute hit to the target audience. Many authors believe that the narrowing of work to one genre will deprive their potential readers. This thesis does not apply to novice authors. If the latter does not want to determine the genre, then he confuses a potential reader, that is, the buyer. The reader wants to purchase a certain product. If the author cannot explain in a few seconds what book he has created, the reader will leave without a purchase.
2. Make at least 10 attempts
Both beginners and successful writers often face the challenge of maintaining their “unique” world view. Before you reach the writing Olympus, you need to explore what has already chosen humanity. Then the author's view will be truly original. In attempts to ignore the culture of humanity, the writer risks being alone with his vision.
You need to constantly write. A lot and everything, try to find the right words. Trying to keep a fresh perspective on literature. This is best done using wit. In order not to get lost in the middle, you need to believe in yourself and your strength, write as sincerely and well as possible.
3. Analyze the result
Try to keep a fresh look at the literature. From this will depend on whether the reader wants to study your book and tell others about it. For this you need to compare your work with the essay of a famous author. This move has proven itself to communicate with the editor. If a person at the first meeting says that he writes in the spirit of Saltykov-Shchedrin, then it becomes clear to publishers that the author is in front of them, who is seeking to create an artistic and political satire. The search for style icons is important not only for comparison, but also for further study.
4. Listen to the opinions of others
Leave your work on the study, not only to the editor, but also to relatives. If they express constructive criticism. Then you should listen to her. Unless you have contacted the all-knowing "heiter." You must be able to distinguish the opinions of amateurs from people with professional and life experience and listen to the latter. Then work on the mistakes, that is, on editing the style and availability of the presentation.
Editor's tips are very helpful. Most often, he gets a raw product with a large number of errors. His task is to correct the flaws and create a stylistically literate and easy text. Sometimes it is quite sharp and tough. Because in many respects the final success of the book depends on the results of his work.
5. To listen to yourself is yours or not.
The success of the essay depends on the ability of the author to move the reader to the center of events. People don't care about the difficulties you experienced in childhood. If you can make the reader imbued with what is happening, learn a lesson, then the book will be successful. Another question is whether you can implement it as an author. You need to listen to your inner voice.
6. Continue writing, no matter what.
Popularity is the result of painstaking work on mistakes. Becoming a writer is very hard. Not everything depends on hard work and “training.” You can even sit for 6 hours with a laptop and a voice recorder, but as a result get a dull work. Not always the desire to write coincides with the talent of a person. If you make efforts, improve skills, read a lot, write more and try yourself in different styles, then the chance to achieve success is greatly increased.
7. Come up with a pseudonym
An author with a beautiful name is easier to remember. How to come up with a nickname:
- Determine which part of the name you want to leave, for example, instead of Alexander - San.
- Choose a name that matches the genre. The author in the style of fiction is more suitable initials, and the creator of literary works - "soft" names that will sound beautiful.
- Come up with some beautiful pseudonyms and give yourself time to study each of them.
- Choose the one you liked the most.
8. Try publishing your creations.
Publishing a book costs a lot of money. Even after going through a hard selection of works and adjusting the style, no one can provide a guarantee of cost recovery. In addition, the works of newcomers are published in a small print run.
Therefore, editors are advised to start with social networks and special online platforms. The electronic publication saves the author from several degrees of stumbling: he can himself enter his circle of readers and test various literary works. JK Rowling received 8 refusals before publishing a manuscript about Harry Potter, and the Austrian publishing house “50 shades of gray” was found by an Austrian publishing house on the fan fiction forum.
9. To spend a literary evening of his labors.
Another way to find your reader and listen to critics is to participate in a literary evening of works. First you should visit the event of a famous author, get acquainted with the "literary elite", listen to current topics. The evening passes in two scenarios: either fans read the author’s favorite works, or the “idol” himself read out new works. There are also meetings where authors who write in different directions speak. Beginner creators at such events share their sketches and listen to the opinions of professionals, including literary critics.
Tips for novice writers from world gurus
To become a writer, you need a lot of talent and self-discipline. You must clearly understand what kind of prose you want to get, have an example before your eyes and follow it.
The hardest thing for a writer is to finish the work. This can not be done without patience.
All really good books are striking in their believability. The reader himself as if experiencing all the events and emotions. Only a good writer can give it all to people.
What you need to become a writer in our time
If you want to write a novel in three parts, but do not know where to start, just sit down and start writing. This is the main advice that can be given to a newbie. This includes not only the creation of works, but also the maintenance of diaries, blogs, letters to relatives, etc.
- It is not necessary to describe the events in chronological order. A writer is a creator! First you can come up with an ending, and then the story itself.
- Russian language is very rich. Try to use unexpected metaphors and comparisons when creating works.
- More than three characters to keep in mind is very hard. Therefore it is better to create a short description for each of them. Names should be chosen different from each other, but at the same time characterizing the characters.
- Works with unexpected endings slam into the memory and cause a lot of emotions.
- Finished work should be given to someone to read. If it is not possible to use the services of proofreaders, it is better to give the work to friends and acquaintances, but do it anonymously to get an objective assessment.
This is how Stephen King creates his works. The author needs to have two copies of his work: the draft and fair version. The first must be created without any help behind a closed door. To transform all expressed thoughts into a work will take time. At that time, the writer advises to completely change the type of activity or leave to rest. The book should rest for at least six weeks in a closed drawer.
After the specified time has elapsed, the first text corrections are made: all typos and inconsistencies are corrected. The main purpose of re-reading the work is to understand whether the text is fully connected.
The formula of the second copy of the manuscript = The first option - 10%.
Only after reaching this proportion the book gets on the table to the proofreader.
How to quickly want to write if the muse has left you
Anyone can leave inspiration.
How to be in this case:
- Are you worried about some burning question? Try to understand it yourself and help make it around.
- Stephen King recommends writing for one perfect reader. After all, it is not by chance that books that have come down to us since ancient times are a letter to one person (“To Myself” M. Aurelius).
- Bad sketches do not happen. The task of the writer is to polish the text well. The source can be anything.
- Trust the intuition. Inspiration can come at any time. Try to grab it and use it to the maximum, and then work with the result. Another caveat: inspiration comes during work.
- Work for all 110%. Write about what interests you personally. Then other people will find in the written something familiar.
Who is a writer?
According to the explanatory dictionaries, this is the one who writes literary works. Those are called socially significant works. But the criteria of significance may be different. Time decides who to become a classic.
Not everyone can get to the classics, and not everyone wants to go there. Today there are a lot of popular people creating commercial works that have no artistic value. Их тоже называют писателями.
В этой статье мы будем понимать “писательство” в широком смысле. Писатель — это человек, который зарабатывает литературным трудом.
Какими качествами должен обладать писатель?
Не важно, собираетесь вы творить только для души или нацелены на заработок. Для работы нужны следующие качества:
- Developed speech. Written in poor language nobody will read.
- Observation. To see the invisible, to notice the unnoticed, to find the original in the ordinary - not to do without it.
- Developed imagination. Even if you write off a character from his best friend, he sometimes needs to add new traits and put them in unprecedented circumstances to realize his plan. Fantasy creators and not live without imagination.
- Rich inner world. Often associated with the first two points. It helps to represent the feelings and feelings of the characters.
- Perseverance. Mahomet should not just go to the mountain, but look for all the ways to climb to the top.
- Perfectionism. Only continuous striving for perfection will help to become them. At least in the eyes of others.
- Hard work. Without edits to create a masterpiece is almost impossible.
To this nature of personal qualities you need to add professional:
- Literacy. Can not argue.
- Ability to get information. Sometimes a writer, like a journalist, communicates with dozens of people or explores more than one written source to create his work. That is how A. S. Pushkin worked on the Captain's Daughter. Today, not only historical novels are written this way, but also numerous memories, biographies, various kinds of advice (from the “How to lose weight” or “How to make money” series).
- Organization. Pushkin, Tolstoy and other professional writers planned their working hours. They did not have a TV and social networks, but there were service and family responsibilities.
- Ability to build business contacts. It is not enough to be a genius - one must also prove this to the world. Advertise yourself to publishers and readers in order to have commercial success (whom these words confuse, read - “income”). Do not want to “cave in under the changeable world” - publish on Prose.ru, in your own blog or on the website. But in this case, writing will no longer be a profession, but a hobby.
By the way, applicants for various literary awards are selected from among the authors on the portals Proza.ru and Poems.ru. See their list on both sites in the lower right corner.
Separate awards are established for authors published in journals.
Found in themselves the necessary makings of? Let's talk what to do next.
Does the writer need special education?
The answer to the question will not be straightforward. On the one hand, professional education in this matter will not interfere. Places where to study is enough. The most “official” university is, of course, the Moscow Literary Institute. A. M. Gorky.
Filfaki pedagogical and humanitarian universities are happy to explain to their students the wisdom of verbal creativity. And it is great if people who are familiar with the laws of the genre become overlords of thoughts. But not necessarily graduates of the above universities will be.
On the other hand, in the big literature the percent of "self-educated persons" is great. A. P. Chekhov had a medical education, G. G. Marquez, at the insistence of his parents, studied law, I. A. Goncharov graduated from a commercial school. And nothing prevented genuine talents from breaking into great literature.
Therefore, a young man, stepping onto the literary path, must clearly realize that here, as nowhere else, the receipt of a specialty does not guarantee either its practical application or creative success. And in case of “lost illusions”, the spare profession will not interfere.
Difficulties of the profession
Both a beginner and an accomplished writer in their work are faced with various burdens:
- Lack of clear intent. People whose life was full of bright events, cherish the dream “at the end of life” to sit down for a novel. A considerable percentage of them make an attempt, but the lack of formation of the idea, the systems of the characters, and the structure of the work make them, in time, abandon what they have begun.
- Inconstancy of inspiration. Alas, Muse does not come on schedule. Sometimes she wanders on the side for years and her servant begins to experience a genuine creative crisis. The only thing that can be done here is to swap the hostess and the slave. Summon, urge, rape her and yourself. To torture with deadlines and reward with pleasant trifles. The method of carrot and stick is good for self-education.
- The difficulty of verbal expression image. It happens at all, but is solved by hard work.
- Lack of time. If artistic creativity does not bring enough income (as in most cases), the bustle of the material world leaves less and less opportunities to engage in it. But the real writer is the one who works against all odds.
- Unclaimed. The young talent does not make it right away, having gained the first success risks not to repeat it, and a recognized genius may fall under any sanctions (for example, in the USSR they did not print the Lolita of Pokokovo for a long time).
If you are not yet in demand in the literature, we will figure out how else you can make money on creativity.
How to make money on literary talent?
Not all writers deal with artistic prose. Today, in the book market one can meet both journalistic essays, cultural studies, ethnographic and historical research, and various fashionable know-how (“How to build a dome house” or “Best haircuts for your poodle”).
And even this does not exhaust the sphere of application of literary abilities.
Let's take a closer look at all the options:
- Creation of literary works - the classic purpose of the writer.
- Writing of plays for theater, scenarios of films, games, quests. The latter can be found on freelance exchanges. Most often this will be a temporary project.
- Journalism. This is not the lot of every future writer, but you can use the gift to make money and accumulate the desired experience.
- Copywriting. Writing articles is an excellent ability training. Restrictions in the characters hone phrases, deadlines form perseverance, and the “forced” penetration into the subject can further encourage the copywriter to write books.
- Writing poems to order. Popular as a greeting for family holidays. Orders can be found on YouDo, and the offer of services placed on Quork.
How to publish a book?
There are two ways to the desired book:
- Mailing manuscripts (more precisely, now text documents) on publishing houses in the hope of recognition and publication. The main thing is to convince the editors that the book will bring profit to the publisher, otherwise there is no need to publish it. If the work of the editor inspired, with the author enter into a contract and pay a fee. The size of it depends on the degree of popularity of the writer, so beginners do not have to wait for anything supernatural.
- Self-printing and book sales. The desired binding, for many identified with professional significance, will be faster, however, for official recognition and payback, you will still have to work hard by distributing books to various thematic meetings and via the Internet.
The second way is often chosen by people for whom literary work is not the main occupation, for example, the traveler Vadim Nazarenko.
He has published several books about his hitchhiking experience and now distributes them at meetings of travelers, on the Internet, and sends them by mail.
No funds for self-printing? Want to try your luck in publishing? Read the next item.
Where do you get manuscripts?
So how can you “get a writer” to work for a fee?
Here is a small list of publishing houses that invite young authors to cooperate:
- “Iris-press” (educational and developing literature for children, books for parents and psychologists).
- “AST” (history, art and culture, popular science literature, travel, journalism).
- “Veche” (history, applied topics).
- “Zakharov” (biographies, memoirs, detectives).
- “Labyrinth-press” (children's literature).
- “Swallowtail” (children's literature).
- “Peter” (economic, technical, educational, developmental, humanitarian, esoteric and other literature).
- “Rosman” (children's literature).
- “Center Poligraph” (action, sentimental, non-fiction books).
- “Eksmo” (all, except poems, fairy tales and children's educational literature).
The list is not exhaustive. Good luck in your further searches!
Write for the soul or for profit?
In the title of the article I raised a question that tormented many beginning authors: what is more important - vocation or income? If you create only by inspiration, you can never become famous and die in poverty? To produce commercially successful books means stepping on your own vocation?
In fact, the question is a bit wrong.
First, for whatever purpose you write, you need to work efficiently. An opus that has been put together on a knee overnight, even if it is on the most win-win topic, will not get into the top 10.
Secondly, a work written “for oneself” may appeal to many readers and bring a profit to the author. So it happened with the book of Archimandrite Tikhon (Shevkunov) "" Unholy saints "and other stories." Memories of people close to the author were published in 2011, and in 2017 the total circulation of the book was 2,500,000 copies.
The writer's profession is unpredictable.
Pros and cons of the profession
Consider the positive and negative aspects of the writing craft.
- Being able to follow a vocation increases self-esteem.
- Self-development and creative realization are important for the harmonious perception of oneself as a person.
- Working as a writer at home gives all the advantages of remote work.
- It is not easy for a novice author to gain recognition that may affect self-esteem.
- The instability of fees (or income from self-selling books) makes you think about additional (or basic) earnings.
Who has additions, do not hesitate, comment!
I say goodbye and wish you creative success. And below is the story of the charms and the creative path from the Nizhny Novgorod writer Andrei Kuzechkin.
Helena: How long have you started writing?
Andrew: I have been writing all my life. My first publication was an article about school life in the newspaper “Borskaya Pravda” (I was then studying in the 5th grade). Then he began to write humorous and fantastic stories, to publish with them in the shabby newspapers. In 17 years, tried to write a novel.
Е .: How many books have you published? When did the first book come out? Do you often publish?
BUT.: At the moment - three books: Mendeleev-rock (2007, translated into English in 2011), I will not become an adult (2012), Swing of a strange person (2017). There are publications in collections and classical literary journals - "October", "Ural", "Friendship of Peoples".
As you can see, the intervals between the books were quite long, but only because each new book was published by a happy coincidence, and each time you had to wait several years.
This sad trend broke when in 2015 I became a client of the MTF literary agency, thanks to which I started publishing in the largest Russian publishing house, EKSMO. The next book is due out at the end of January 2018, and the rest of my ten novels and novels will be published slowly.
Е .: How do you publish your books? Do you have an agreement with a publishing house, or do you print it yourself, and then sell the books yourself? In the latter case, is it possible to pay them back and in what time?
BUT.: Never in my life did I pay to be distant, and I do not advise anyone. My path to great literature began with the fact that in 2004 I got the story "Mendeleev-rock" in the Long List of the All-Russian Literary Prize "Debut". I didn't take the first place, but the organizers noticed me and promised to publish. I had to wait for three years until they find a sponsor, as a result the book was published in Moscow publishing house AST and was sold throughout the country, I even received a meager fee. At this point everything stalled. No one was going to publish me on a regular basis.
I was depressed, but in 2011 the same organizers of the Debut Award republished my book in English and paid me a trip to London and New York to book fairs: 10 days to the city. Just for the sake of it was worth doing literature at all!
In London, I met a man who published a second book for me in a small publishing house, but this also brought me only moral satisfaction and a little bit of money. I again did not become a professional writer.
Then I got to the MTF agency - I was invited there by people who, again, knew me from the Debut award (I got to the Longlist of this award 6 times, with different works). Now I am one of the authors of EKSMO, for each book I get paid an advance and a percentage of sales.
Е .: Writing books - your main source of income?
BUT.: Unfortunately no. When they publish everything that I have written, ten novels and novels, plus now I am writing more - maybe something will change. But I know from my own experience with writers that, of course, it is possible to live by literature alone, but life will be modest.
A modern writer is a kind of multi-channel: he writes not only books, but also screenplays, leads a column in a magazine, or he has an author's program on television, or a musical project. By the way, I also have a musical project, idi.band, where I play the harmonica, but for the time being it does not bring me much money.
All my life I dreamed of getting paid for staying at home and writing. I succeeded, but the basic income is brought to me by literary actress. I write book reviews for three sources, plus I edit other people's books. Just for example: just today I completed the editing of a book about the features of the advertising business in Russia, written by the owner of a famous advertising agency. 10 thousand rubles for four days of work - at this stage it suits me. But I dream of the day when I can earn solely creativity.
Е .: What is the most difficult and the most pleasant thing in the writing profession?
BUT.: The most difficult thing in a writer's profession is to make writing a profession, that is, to receive a steady income for it. By the way, there is nothing wrong with the desire to earn on creativity. But in general, I do not advise writing people to call themselves writers. For example, I am officially an employee of the library - so I introduce myself. And other people call me a writer.
And the best part is the process of creating a book. It happens to me like this: I sit down, I write two pages - and then, as if someone dictates in my ear what will happen next. I am writing two more pages - again, someone dictates. And I am very interested to know what will happen next!
Е .: Your wishes for beginners?
BUT.: First, to be a good writer, you must first become a good reader. Read more, do not forget about the classics, but be aware of modern literature. Do not think that in the XIX century they wrote better than in the XXI - the most interesting thing always happens here and now.
Secondly, write as much as possible. No modern publisher will work with you if you have written just one novel, even a very good one.
Thirdly, participate in all literary contests, it is easy to find them - there are special websites on the Internet. In this case, do not write anything on purpose - send ready-made works to suitable competitions.
And remember: nothing is impossible! Trite - but true.
British writer and publicist. The author of the anti-utopia "1984" and the satirical story "The Animal Farm", which criticize the totalitarian society. He lived and worked in the XX century.
- Never use the metaphor, comparison or other speech that you often see on paper.
- Never use a long word where you can get by with a short one.
- If you can throw a word out, always get rid of it.
- Never use a passive voice if you can use active.
- Never use borrowed words, scientific or professional terms, if you can replace them with vocabulary from everyday language.
- It is better to break any of these rules than to write something frankly barbaric.
One of the most influential American authors of the last century. Many of the works of Vonnegut like "Siren Titan" and "Cat's Cradle" have become classics of humanitarian fiction.
- Use the time of a complete stranger so that it does not seem to be wasted on him.
- Give the reader at least one hero for whom you want to hurt your soul.
- Each character must desire something, even if it is just a glass of water.
- Each sentence should serve one of two goals: to reveal the hero or move events forward.
- Start as close as possible to the final.
- Be a sadist. No matter how sweet and innocent your main characters may be, deal with them terribly: the reader must see what they are made of.
- Write to please only one person. If you open the window and take, so to speak, love with the whole world, your story will pick up pneumonia.
Modern British writer, very popular among fans of fantasy. Murcock's key work is a multivolume cycle about Elric from Melnibone.
- I borrowed my first rule from Terence Hanbury White, the author of The Sword in the Stone and other writings about King Arthur. It was like this: read. Read everything that comes handy. I always advise people who want to write fantasy, or science fiction, or romance novels, to stop reading these genres and take on everything else: from John Bunyan to Antonia Byette.
- Find the author you admire (Konrad was mine) and copy his stories and characters for your own story. Be an artist who imitates a master to learn how to draw.
- Если пишете сюжетно-ориентированную прозу, представляйте главных героев и основные темы в первой трети. Можете называть её введением.
- Развивайте темы и героев во второй трети — развитии произведения.
- Завершайте темы, раскрывайте тайны и прочее в финальной трети — развязке.
- When possible, accompany your acquaintances with the characters and their philosophizing with various actions. It helps keep dramatic tension.
- A stick and a carrot: heroes must be persecuted (by obsession or villain) and pursued (ideas, objects, personalities, secrets).
American writer of the XX century. He became famous for such scandalous works of his time as “Tropic of Cancer”, “Tropic of Capricorn” and “Black Spring”.
- Work on one thing until you are done.
- Do not be nervous. Work calmly and joyfully, whatever you do.
- Act according to plan, not mood. Stay at the appointed time.
- When you can not create, work.
- Cement a little every day, instead of making new fertilizer.
- Stay human! Meet people, visit different places, drink if you want.
- Do not turn into a draft horse! Work only with pleasure.
- Depart from the plan if you need it, but return to it the next day. Focus. Specify. Exclude.
- Forget about the books you want to write. Think only about what you write.
- Write fast and always. Drawing, music, friends, movies - all after work.
One of the most famous fiction of our time. From his pen came such works as "American Gods" and "Star dust". However, they filmed not only them.
- Write to.
- Add word by word. Find the right word, write it down.
- Finish what you write. Whatever cost you, bring it to the end.
- Put the records aside. Read them as if doing it for the first time. Show your work to friends who love something like that and whose opinion you respect.
- Remember: when people say something is wrong or not working, they are almost always right. When they explain exactly what is wrong and how to fix it, they are almost always wrong.
- Correct the mistakes. Remember: you have to let go of the work before it is perfect, and start the next one. The pursuit of excellence is the pursuit of the horizon. Move on.
- Laugh at your jokes.
- The main rule of writing: if you create with enough self-confidence, you can do anything. This can also be the rule of a lifetime. But for writing it is best suited.
A master of short prose and a classic of Russian literature, who hardly needs to be introduced.
- It is assumed that the writer, in addition to ordinary mental abilities, should have experience. The highest fee is paid to people who have passed the fire, water and copper pipes, the lowest - the nature untouched and uncorrupted.
- Becoming a writer is very easy. There is no that monster who would not find a pair for himself, and there is no that nonsense that would not find for himself a suitable reader. And therefore, do not be shy ... Put the paper in front of you, take a pen in your hands and, irritating the captive thought, scribble.
- Becoming a writer who is typed and read is very difficult. To do this: be unconditionally literate and have talent with the magnitude of at least a lentil seed. In the absence of large talents, the roads are small.
- If you want to write, do so. Choose a topic first. There is complete freedom given to you. You can use arbitrariness and even arbitrariness. But, in order not to open America for the second time and not to invent gunpowder for the second time, avoid those who have long since stopped.
- Letting go of fantasy, hold your hand. Do not let her chase the number of lines. The shorter and less often you write, the more and more you are printed. Brevity does not spoil things at all. Stretched gum erases the pencil is no better than unstretched.
Modern British writer, best-selling author of “White teeth”, “Autograph collector” and “About beauty”.
- If you're still a kid, make sure you read a lot. Spend more time on this than anything else.
- If you are an adult, try to read your work the way a stranger would. Or even better - as your enemy would read them.
- Do not elevate your "vocation." You can either write good sentences or not. "Writing lifestyle" does not exist. What matters is what you leave on the page.
- Between writing and editing, make substantial pauses.
- Write on a computer that is not connected to the Internet.
- Protect your work time and space. Even from the most important people to you.
- Do not confuse honors and achievements.
Important criteria, how to become a good writer?
First, the easiest way to start is with characters who do not need a detailed description, since almost all of them have been seen on TV or on the Internet. Describing the appearance of a person is not as easy as it seems. Somewhere you can confine yourself with brief phrases, but somewhere you need to think carefully about everything and choose the right words so that it doesn't sound silly or funny (of course, it depends on the genre). Agree that “a beautiful red-haired girl with green eyes and freckles” sounds uninteresting and boring. Much more interesting when the features are compared with any objects, when you can vividly imagine exactly the character that the author had in mind. "The girl's fiery red hair framed her beautiful face, going down to her shoulders, her eyes the color of emerald shone with mischief ..." and so on.
After all, readers, as it were, make up an "actor" composition in their heads for each book. Have you ever tried to watch a movie based on a novel, and then turn to the work itself? After viewing, it is always the actors and actresses who played the roles that always remain in thought, and it is already difficult to imagine their actors. Now imagine that your description is rather weak. Can the reader feel or remember your work? It is doubtful.
Secondly, in fanfic you can experiment. Settle idols anywhere on an uninhabited island, send to the moon, make mystical creatures, add fantasy and much more. This is where an idea can arise that can win the hearts of not only fans. And then you can always easily transform your creation into an original (your own story with fictional characters).
Thirdly, not everyone can write so that it is interesting. Crumpled, constantly switching plot, rapidly evolving events annoy readers. And, of course, not many people like overly lengthy and boring descriptions of the situation. Try to describe the most important points that are necessary in order to present the whole picture. Write consistently, in detail, where necessary, as well as colorfully.
The most important rule
Fourth, perhaps one of the most important rules is to write correctly. You understand that nobody will read works with frequently encountered errors. On sites, as a rule, these errors are corrected by readers, what will be your farewell. Try reading the books of amateur writers or amateur translators. Of course, there are those who turn to competent editors; there are no complaints here. But those who make mistakes and leave them like that will not get the attention of the general public. So, improve your Russian language! Now it is not as difficult to do as many people used to think. Is it permissible to make mistakes in documents or even advertisements? So here, in decent work there is no place for mistakes.
Fifth, fanfica will always have readers, many of whom will be happy to comment on the work and give a couple of tips. In addition, you can advertise fan fiction yourself among other authors. Often, in response, they are also asked to evaluate creativity, and this will also be a useful experience. However, inexperienced writers are often found among fickwriters, their opinion is difficult to be considered objective and reliable, but after searching the site one can also find someone who does not stint on valid criticism. You shouldn’t be afraid of it, because criticism is a loyal assistant to a writer Only you need to first understand whether the critic is right. And here it is necessary to reflect and listen to other opinions.
So, writing and publishing fan fiction is a great practice and a way to improve skills. And everyone decides for himself: to listen or not to this advice, but any novice writer needs to know the opinion of a stranger about his works. Here it remains to wish as much positive feedback and regular readers as possible!
Anyone who listens to the advice of famous writers can create a good work.
In order to write a work that will have a wide range of readers, you need to have a lot of practice and know the basics of writing skills. This will help us with the advice of great writers who shared their “recipes” on writing a good book.
Today, on International Writer's Day, AdMe.ru publishes quotes that every creative person can adopt.
The King of Horrors has issued many outstanding bestsellers. His work “How to write books” combines memoirs, thoughts of a writer, a program and an installation for young talents. The book was written after Stephen hit the car. After such an event, he revised many things in his life.
- The description begins in the writer's imagination, and ends in the reader's.
- All I ask of you is to try to write better and remember that writing adverbs is a human weakness, writing “he said” or “she said” is the perfection of the gods.
- Everything begins with this: put a table in a corner and every time you start writing, remind yourself why it is not in the middle of the room. Life is not a supporting system for art. Quite the contrary.
- Let's face it? If you do not have time to read good books, then there is no time (and skills) to write. It's simple.
In Bradbury's book “Zen in the art of writing” there are both tips for creating your own style and strategy of behavior with publishers, as well as some moments from the author’s biography. “Zen. “Truly can be called the reference book of any novice figure of literature, because this work is imbued with incredible wisdom of life.
- The main secret of creativity is to treat your ideas like cats - just make them follow you.
- Read those books that sharpen your perception of color, shape and world scale.
Although the writer talked about how to talk about his craft is a useless exercise, he still has some thoughts about this in stories, interviews, letters and articles:
- First, you need talent, great talent. Such as Kipling. Then self-discipline. Flaubert's self-discipline. Then you need a clear idea of what this prose can be, and you need to have a conscience, absolutely the same unchanged as the meter-standard in Paris, in order to avoid fraud. Then the writer is required intelligence and disinterestedness, and most importantly - the ability to survive. Try to find all this in one person, despite the fact that this person will be able to overcome all those influences that over the writer. The most difficult thing for him - because so little time is to survive and complete the work.
- All good books are similar to the fact that they are more plausible than reality, and when you finish reading, you have the feeling that everything described happened to you, and then that it belongs to you: good and evil, rapture, repentance, grief, people, places and even weather. If you can give it all to people, then you are a writer.
- The greatest gift of a good writer is a built-in stress-resistant hack detector. This is a writer's radar, and all good authors have it.
- All my life I looked at the words as if I had seen them for the first time.
Despite the fact that the writer is best known for describing nature, he made a serious contribution to the study of the process of creating a book. In his work "Golden Rose" collected very interesting tips for novice writers. Paustovsky infects the reader with enthusiasm and incredible enthusiasm for the wealth and beauty of the Russian language.
- The idea, like lightning, arises in the mind of a person saturated with thoughts, feelings and notes of memory. It all accumulates gradually, slowly, until it reaches the degree of voltage that requires the inevitable discharge. Then all this compressed and somewhat chaotic world gives rise to lightning - design.
- One can never think that this bush of a mountain ash or this gray-haired drummer in an orchestra will ever need me to tell, and therefore I must observe them especially closely, even somewhat artificially. To observe, so to speak, “on duty”, for purely business reasons. One should never forcefully even very successful observations into prose. When needed, they themselves will enter it and become in place.
The author of "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer" was known as the author of ironic and sharp remarks that will be useful to every novice writer:
- Use the word "damn" every time you want to write "very." Your editor will cross it out, and what you write will become as it should be.
- The best time to start writing an article is when you’ve finished writing it for yourself. Only after that you will understand, clearly and logically, what you really want to say.
- Everyone has ideas. Not everyone has the ability to express an idea in one paragraph where exactly one paragraph is needed, and not written sheets of paper.
- Do not say: "The woman screamed." Bring her and let her cry out.
- Great books are evaluated according to the style and essence of what was written, but by no means by their refined and emasculated grammar.
- When writing reluctance, set the kitchen timer for one hour, sit down and write until the timer rings. If in an hour you will also be turned back from writing, you are free for an hour. But usually at the time when the timer is triggered, you are so passionate about your work, so you enjoy it so that you cannot stop. Alternating thoughtful work with thoughtless washing of laundry or washing dishes gives the breaks necessary for the emergence of new thoughts and insights. You can not think of a continuation of the story. clean the toilet. Change bed linen. For Christ's sake, clean the dust from the computer. And a good idea will appear.
- The reader is smarter than you think. Do not be afraid to experiment with the form of the story and temporary jumps. Cinema has made us sophisticated in storytelling. And the reader is much harder to shock than it seems.
- Do not push the book to the end and do not pull the outcome behind the ears. All you have to think about is the next scene, or several. You don't have to know everything that happens right up to the end. In fact, when you know it’s hard for you to embody it.
- Write the book you want to read yourself.
Tips from other famous writers:
Francis Scott Fitzgerald: “Start with a specific person, and you will find that you have created a typical image. Start with a typical image and realize that you have not created anything. ”
Sarah Waters: “Read like crazy. Cut the text like crazy. Literature is not self-expression and not therapy - it is for readers. Respect your heroes, even bad ones. But most importantly, if you are a really good writer, you will not need any rules. ”
Ralph Waldo Emerson: “Finish one episode in the evening, and the next day - get to work again, but during the break, be sure to sleep well. Here you can not restrain yourself. "
Will Self: “Do not re-read the text until you have written the entire draft. Always carry a laptop with you. Always means always. Short-term memory stores information for three minutes, and if the idea is not recorded, you can lose it forever. ”
Charles Bukowski: “Don't write the story until it brings you the same pain as red-hot shit.”
Saul Bellow: "Never change the text if you wrote it, waking up in the middle of the night."
Thomas Sterns Eliot: "Young poets imitate, mature - steal."
Elmore Leonard: "Do not go into too detailed descriptions of places and things, unless you are Margaret Atwood, who knows how to paint with English."
Develop your literary talent all the time.
The work of the author is not to create ideas, but to recognize them. There is no Ideas Storehouse or Bestseller Island. Good ideas literally come from nowhere. The task of the author is to recognize them.
When a poet writes, he creates an essay for himself, when he corrects it - for readers. At this point, it is important to remove all unnecessary. Then the work will be interesting for other readers.
A writer must develop his vocabulary. But by reading. Spelling dictionary is better to put on the shelf with the tools. Stephen King believes that any work can be spoiled if you add a bunch of long words to it. The author should express thoughts quickly and directly.
A good description is the key to success. This is an acquired skill that can be learned only if you read and write a lot. Description - this is the visualization of the object, heroes, objects, which begins with the words of the author and should end in the imagination of the reader.
How to become a good children's writer
Creating books for children is a fashionable, but difficult task. The perception of the child is not the same as in an adult. They need not fashionable, but interesting books.
The poet of children's books has a great responsibility. They should not be violence, cruelty, bullying. The child's psyche has not yet been formed, because it is difficult for them to understand irony and sarcasm. Children's author must clearly know the audience. Чем она младше, тем проще должны быть рассказы и ярче персонажи. Малыши хорошо воспринимают сказки, а более взрослые детки - замысловатые истории.
Хочу стать известным писателем, как этого достичь
- Убедитесь, что вы действительно хотите стать писателем и готовы работать в этом направлении. Without confidence in your abilities it will be very difficult to move on.
- Read more. Alternate short stories with serious masterpieces. This will greatly expand vocabulary.
- Write a 10 page story in 10 days. Use your imagination completely.
- Keep a diary for the future "bestseller" and fill in one page every day. It does not matter whether it is artistic or documentary direction. The diary is needed to hone skills.
- Give your creations to the general public. You can start promoting the book yourself, via the Internet.
- Listen to constructive criticism. Write down brief abstracts and leave them in a prominent place.
- Try to create real heroes and love your characters.
- Write about everything that interests you!