How can be interesting to cook red mullet?
Red mullet recipe | How to cook red mullet
A fish that lives at a shallow depth along the coast is called a red mullet. This fish was also called sultanka. This is due to the fact that this fish was prepared only by the sultans. How to cook a red mullet delicious, as you understood, knew even in those times. Red mullet is a very delicate fish and slightly sweet in taste. The taste of its meat resembles crab meat.
How to cook red mullet, you have not decided whether to put out, smoke, fry in a griddle or grill, pickle - you can not go wrong. Gourmets consider the best dish recipe for fried red mullet.
Red mullet recipe for cooking fish
In order to cook a delicious dish of fried broccoli, you need to have six medium boiled eggs, a couple of tablespoons of flour, one egg, one lemon, two or three tomatoes, one tablespoon of olive oil, spices to taste (salt, black pepper), garlic to taste and frying oil, preferably.
How to cook a red mullet - instruction
I offer you step by step instructions to cook red mullet.
- Wash the red mullet in cold water and gently clean the scales. Prepare everything for batter and roll the red mullet first in the flour, and then in the egg.
- Heat the frying pan and pour the oil on the hot frying pan. Then put fry red mullet, rolled in batter. Fry until a beautiful golden crust.
- Then, in order to cook the red mullet, drain the oil and only then salt and pepper the red mullet.
- Take another frying pan and heat it. In this pan to cook the red mullet, fry the tomatoes, preferably in olive oil. When you fry the tomatoes, do not forget to add a lot of garlic. Cook until the garlic turns golden.
- Put the affected red mullet on a separate dish, and spread around the fried tomatoes with garlic. For decoration, you can use beautifully sliced lemon slices.
Recommendations for those who want to cook red mullet
Also, I would advise you to try to cook red mullet in foil. I will try to tell you how to cook red mullet in foil.
- Take the red mullet, wash it under cold water and clean it. Next you need to marinate.
- To do this, generously squeeze the juice of lemon on each roll, salt and pepper. Take the foil and wrap each red mullet separately.
- Pre-lubricate each fish with butter and place one slice of lemon. A slice of lemon will not only look beautiful, but also give a wonderful aroma. Roll the foil as tightly as possible.
- You need to cook the red mullet in the oven at 120 degrees for 20 minutes.
Try my recipes and I give you a guarantee that once again you will want to cook red mullet.
Grilled Red Mullet with Lemon Sauce: Ingredients
So, did you manage to find this fish in the market? How to cook red mullet so that it is tasty and satisfying? The most common recipe is fried fish. We today offer it not just to fry, but also to flavor it with a fragrant sauce of lemon and spices.
For cooking you will need:
- 15-20 small fish or 7-8 large.
- Two large tomatoes.
- Half a lemon.
- Five large cloves of garlic.
- 100 ml of dry white wine.
- One bunch of fresh parsley.
- Fresh sage - a pair of leaflets.
- Black freshly ground pepper.
- Breadcrumbs for breading.
- Oil (vegetable or olive) for frying.
- A pinch of sugar.
So we have a red mullet on the table. Cooking recipes for this fish always begin with a scrub. To begin with, we make an incision from the tail to the head, take out the insides and rinse thoroughly under running water. Head cut off optional. Peeled and washed red mullet should be well salted and flavored with freshly ground pepper.
I must say that in this recipe, the fried red mullet will be prepared in a slightly unusual way. If we just throw the usual fish on the pan and fry, then here a ritual will precede the frying process. In the pan we will need to pour a sufficient amount of oil. The secret to frying is garlic, which we also have to fry in a skillet before laying the fish. When garlic gives up all its juices and flavor, it can be removed from the oil. Now it's the turn of the fish. She rolls in breading mixture and put to roast in fragrant garlic oil. As soon as there is a ruddy crisp, you can turn the fish. After frying, it should lie in a warm place for a while.
Now you need to cook a lemon sauce. We wash the prepared greens and chop it well into small pieces. Cut tomatoes into rounds. Now we need to simmer tomatoes with greens over low heat. Take out the tomatoes. Immediately pour the white wine into the pan, squeeze out half of one lemon, salt and pepper. You can even add a small cube of butter. To neutralize the acidity of lemon, you can add half a teaspoon of sugar. As soon as the sauce becomes thicker, turn off the heat under the frying pan.
How is the red mullet served? The recipes of this delicacy are so tasty and popular also because this small fish perfectly lends itself to beautiful serving. First we need to decorate the plate with fried tomatoes, then lay out a layer of fish and sprinkle with parsley on top. And only at the final stage, before serving the fish, pour the fragrant lemon sauce.
Red mullet in the oven with herbs
If for some reason you cannot eat fried fish, but you want to try red mullet, then we offer you a dietary (without oil) option. We will prepare red mullet in the oven with aromatic herbs. By the way, in the Mediterranean countries this fish is baked in the oven as soon as it gets on the chef's table. In this case, the insides are not removed.
But, you see, not everyone will like this exotic, when under a layer of delicious fish meat suddenly something completely inedible is found. We will have gutted red mullet. The cooking recipes that we offer today will all begin with cleaning the fish. We have no surprises.
How to cook
We have already cleaned the fish, now it is necessary to salt and season with pepper. In a separate bowl, mix the chopped greens (basil, parsley) and add the juice from half a lemon. Chop garlic and add it to the same. The sauce can be a little salt, but do not overdo it. Rationally allocate the amount of salt to the fish itself and to the sauce. Now we need to prepare a baking sheet. Foil is spread on it. Before laying on the foil the fish should be carefully fluffed with green sauce.
How to cook red mullet in the oven? How much time is needed? These are the most frequent questions that are encountered by housewives who have decided to pamper their household with something delicious. The answer is: the oven should be heated to 170 degrees. Wrap the red mullet in envelopes from foil into the oven for twenty to thirty minutes. Fish is served to the table with fresh vegetables. Bulgarian pepper cut into half rings, and tomatoes - large rings. We put a fragrant fish in a green sauce on one side of the plate, and fresh vegetables on the other.
I must say that the red mullet dishes can be made very diverse just because of the use of various spices and greens. This fish has a very small amount of calories (only 117 per hundred grams of product), so it is great for the daily menu for those who adhere to proper nutrition. Exclude from the recipe oil or even frying, in the end you get a dinner full of vitamins and trace elements without extra calories.
Fried red mullet in lemon sauce
A simple recipe, which can be found in all countries where this variety of fish is caught, is ideal from the point of view of fish cooking.
- 8 large sultanok, we take smaller ones
- 2 tomatoes
- Half a lemon
- Garlic - a few cloves
- Light dry wine - 100 ml
- Fresh parsley, sage
- Vegetable oil
- Pinch of salt and sugar
The first step is cleaning the fish. We clean only the insides and rinse.
Bring butter to a boil, but not in a hurry to put the carcass. First we give it a garlic flavor in a pan.
Sprinkle each sultanka with crumb, put it into a boiling base and fry.
More time will take the sauce. Chop fresh herbs, cut tomatoes into small circles and pass. Keep a little on the fire, then remove the red vegetable, and pour alcohol into the container and squeeze the lemon. If you sugar, the sharpness of the acid will decrease. To make the liquid thicker, cool slightly and pour the goatfish. Soft tomatoes - a side dish.
A delicious oven in the oven is prepared according to different recipes, you can cook the same lemon gravy.
Alexandrian red mullet recipe
- Kilogram of fish
- Tomatoes - 5 pieces
- Vegetable oil
- Garlic - a few cloves
- Ground crackers
- Green sprigs of grass
You will need the pulp of tomatoes without peel and seeds. Cut into large chunks and fry. Salt, season with garlic, add chopped herb.
First, we roll fish in flour, fry. Spread the golden product between the tomato dressing in the middle, sprinkle with breading and greens on top. Keep in the oven until the top of the multi-layered dish is browned.
Fried red mullet in breadcrumbs
- Red mullet - 600 gr
- A handful of flour
- Ground crackers
Prepared fish carcasses are twisted into rings, put on a pair of wood skewers at once. We salt, we dab with flour strewing. Then we dip into the egg whipped mixture and fix the crust with breadcrumbs.
The way of frying is deep-fried. Hiss the blanks give not long, the flesh is cooked quickly. After removing from the wooden base, lay out on a plate and invent a side dish. It can be legumes, vegetable salads, branches of fresh grass.
Recipe for Red Mullet with White Wine, Onions and Rosemary
- 4 large fishes
- Salt and allspice from pepperbox
- Olive oil - 3 tbsp.
- Dry light wine - 2 tbsp.
- Lemon (sliced and some squeezed juice)
- Shallots - 2 pieces
- Bibb-lettuce - 1 piece
We spread the ingredients on nonstick cookware, the bottom of which is covered with parchment paper.
Fish carcass spiced with spices and laid out.
Alcohol, lemon juice, olive oil mixed in a separate container. Pour the fish over and sprinkle with finely chopped shallot and rosemary.
Baking time fish delicacy - 20 minutes.
Prepare the head of the salad. Rinse each sheet, dry it and distribute it into portions. Put the finished dish on a green base. Pour for juicy water remaining on the baking sheet of fish oil.
Cambodian red mullet fish
- 0.5 kg red mullet
- Light dry wine - 4 tablespoons
- Flour - 100 gr
- Garlic - 5 cloves
- 0.5 kg of tomatoes
- Olive oil - 4 tablespoons
- Parsley and Saffron
In the traditional way we fry fish on the stove.
The secret recipe in spicy sauce. Cut the pulp of tomatoes, divided into cubes. For stewing vegetables need a saucepan. Stew tomato slices with garlic, chopped spicy herb, pour in the same alcohol. Fine spicy smell can be achieved within a few minutes, do not overdo it.
Put the fish on the baking sheet, pour the tomato marinade and keep it in a little dry heat. Parsley and saffron impregnate the dish at a temperature, leaving a unique aftertaste. When ready, sprinkle with freshly sliced.
Grilled Red Mullet Recipe
- 8 whole carcasses
- Parsley Bunch
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
Following this recipe, only scales without gutting are removed from fishes. Salting is left for last, and at first we crumble green branches. That they selected juice, remember manually. Dripping oil ingredient. Mix and let the fish soak, laying with green layers of each fish.
On the grill, fry the fish to each side on each side. If the grill is not at hand, similarly cook the red mullet on the grill pan.
Baked Golden Red Mullet
- Several sultanok
- Turmeric - small spoon
- Lemon - peel and separately squeezed juice
- Ground Ginger - Small Spoon
- Olive oil
It takes more time to soak the fish. And she is preparing quickly. Fish carcasses are carefully cleaned, blotted with a napkin.
In the marinade we combine yellow spicy powder (it will give the fish a golden hue), ginger powder, butter, squeeze out citrus fruit. With this composition, we rub the main product and leave it to pickle.
Next, pour the fish spicy mixture put on a baking sheet and bake in the oven.
A side dish of hot and sour is suitable rice and salad.
Red mullet baked in a foil with herbs
- 5 fish
- Herbs: cilantro, parsley, thyme
- Olive oil
- Ground pepper and salt
We relieve carcasses from scales, my.
For the marinade, mix olive oil, chopped bunches of cilantro, parsley and thyme (take the leaves). Pour citric acid and squeeze garlic cloves. Bring the mixture to homogeneity, coat each red mullet. In the foil we pack the carcasses separately, wrap them and send them to the oven. Slightly less than an hour, wait until the dish is ready.
Each package is a portion, and can be put on the table in a package with a slice of lemon.
Sultan in livorniy
- Fresh red mullet - 300 gr
- Parsley bunch
- A glass of olive oil
- A glass of dry white wine
- Anchovies - 3-4 pieces
- Capers - a tablespoon
- Cedar nuts - a tablespoon
- A slice of garlic
Fishes are taken with their heads, gutted from the inside and without scales.
Wash with oil and lay seafood in a fireproof dish.
Grind the sauce with a blender. First cut fresh grass, then capers, anchovies, some nuts. Fill with wine and olive oil. We turn the device until the contents turn into a cream.
Spread the sauce on the fish layer. We decorate the remains of cedar fruit.
Cooking time - 15 minutes at an average temperature in the oven.
Red mullet with ginger and oranges
- 2 large fish carcasses
- Coriander (seeds)
- Olive oil - 2 tbsp. spoons
- 3 oranges
- Anise - 2 pieces
- Piece of ginger root
- Peanut Butter Glass
- A couple of cilantro twigs
We wash the fish inside and out with cold tap water. Drain.
Coriander is needed in crispy powder. To do this, fry the seeds in oil, when they give up the aroma and darken, remove the grains on the table and crush them into crumb.
Squeeze the juice from a pair of oranges, pour into a saucepan. We evaporate the excess liquid until there is a quarter of a glass.
To the rest of the sauce add two stars of anise, ground coriander and olive oil.
The remaining citrus remove the peel, choose the pulp without films.
Next, prepare the ginger. Cut into thin plates, fill with water and cook for a couple of minutes. Pour the liquid and cool the ginger pieces.
Temperature process and peanut butter, until you spit. Fry salted red mullet until tender.
A dish is served with a complex and intricate side dish of boiled ginger, cilantro leaves, and orange sauce, in which slices of fresh citrus are also dropped. Salt to taste.
Lentils with cranberries and red mullet
- 150 grams of lentils
- Red onion
- Celery stalk
- Dried Cranberries - One Spoon
- 2 carrots
- Bacon - 20 gr
- Olive oil - 50 gr
- Red Mullet Fillet - 200 gr
- 2 lemons
- Parsley Bunch
- Thyme - 1 stalk
- Bay leaf
- Shallow tomato
- Salt and pepper
Passing do on the basis of bacon. Finely chop to make it fry in a frying pan. Grate carrots, chop onion in half rings, and celery in squares.
Fry the products in olive oil, after a while add lentils. Fill with water, continue to extinguish the vegetable mixture. The next ingredient is cranberries. We add liquid so to cover frying. Tomim until ready products.
Separately cook the rest of the ingredients. Large carrot and onion slices, celery, parsley branches, tomato, thyme salt and pepper. Boil until the broth becomes saturated, and the vegetables do not soften. Later we put the fish product and cook a few minutes.
The dish turns out dietary, boiled, so you can eat and children and people on a diet. Spread some fish on a plate, a portion of lentils with vegetables.
Recipe mullet on a pillow of hummus
Refined supplements, spices, sauces - that's what red mullet loves. Its unusual taste is complemented by products with pronounced flavors. Such guests do not eat every day.
- 0.5 kg of fish
- Hummus - 300 gr
- Vegetable oil - 300 gr
- Wheat flour - 100 gr
- Salt and ground allspice
In this recipe, it is recommended to remove the gills, scales and entrails.
Dip in a flour mound, mixed with pepper and salt.
Butter the oil and keep the fish in fat until golden brown on both sides.
There will be a lot of fat, so let it drain or soak into a paper napkin.
Heated hummus is smeared on a plate, generously sprinkling chili and cedar fruits. Put the fish on top, put a quarter of a lemon on a plate with them so that you can squeeze.
Fortunately, this dish is combined with eggplants and olives.
Baked red mullet with tomatoes and garlic
- 2 fish carcasses
- 3 tomatoes
- Чеснок – 2 головки
- 4 столовые ложки оливкового масла
- Соль и черный перец
- Рис (лучше брать длинными зернами или в пакетах)
Отвариваем крупу в подсоленной воде.
С рыбой хлопот не много. Чистим, сушим, натираем солью.
Tomatoes cut plates.
We do the following with garlic: half of the cloves are peeled and chopped into crumb, the second part is left in the peel. Add both to the tomatoes. Fill with oil, salt, pepper, spice add rosemary. Turn the spoon with ingredients, turning it into a kind of salad.
Pour the mixture of vegetables into a baking sheet, place them in places with fish. Sent to the oven to bake. Check readiness in 20 minutes.
We lay out a little softened side dish and seafood on a plate, sprinkle with rice and remove the sample.
Red mullet in lemon-spicy sauce
- 8 medium or 16 small individuals
- 2 large juicy tomatoes
- Half a lemon
- A glass of white wine
- Several cloves of garlic
- Piece of butter
- Sage leaves
- Parsley Bunch
- Ground pepper powder
- Olive oil
- Ground crackers
- Pinch of sugar
Sprinkle fish preparation with salt and pepper.
Making garlic oil. We heat and fry the crushed slices, as soon as they darken - we remove.
Barabulek roll in breading, quickly put on a hot frying pan. Fry quickly, as soon as a brownish tinge appears, remove.
Harder to prepare the sauce. We tear hands of sage and parsley. Tomatoes are not small, circles in full diameter fit. We put both ingredients to languish on the stove on a low fire, so that the edges of the products just grab a bit but do not fall apart.
A piece of side dish is ready. We remove the tomatoes on plates and continue to perfect the sauce. In what is left in the pan, pour in alcohol, squeeze the juice, oil piece. The mass should thicken on temperature. If it turns out too sour, diluted with sugar.
Difficult serving dishes. Put the fish on the circles of the tomatoes, pour the marinade on top so that it lingers at the top and you can see it, and complete the picture with green leaves.
Red Mullet Cheese Recipe
- 100 gr. Cheese
- 2 sultanas
- 2 fleshy tomatoes
- 2 onions
- A piece of lemon
- A few parsley branches
- Olive oil - 3 tablespoons
- Dry white wine - 100 ml
- From spices: bay leaf, black pepper, salt, ginger
We relieve the fish from the giblets, remove the fins and gills. Sprinkle to soak in the collection of spices: grind pepper, nutmeg, ginger. If you like specific herbs, add. This variety of seafood loves specific additives.
Rub each carcass, add laurel dist, lemon slices and parsley leaves to the cup. Marinate as long as time permits.
While the main product is in the refrigerator, chop the onion into rings and fry in oil.
It's time to cook seafood. Choose dishes - frying pan or grill. In both cases, the fish will be amazing. Fry for five minutes on each side.
We put half-finished red mullet in the baking dish, generously sprinkle with leaves of grass, cover with pasted onions. Create the top layer of large tomato fractions, pour the remaining marinade here.
Multicolored splendor is placed in the heat so that the products immediately begin to give juice. In half an hour the dish is ready. Keep a little more in the oven to melt the cheese chips, sprinkle it at the end.
Refined fish oil with cream cheese flavor gives a unique taste to this simple dish.
Fried red mullet with melted cheese
- Kilogram of fish of the desired grade
- 2 processed cheese
- Cayenne pepper
- Olive oil
The composition is simple, cooking too, but there are secrets in this dish.
We clean seafood only from scales and offal, washed from the blood. Salted inside and skin.
Soft cheese we cut the tonics plates, rinse the pepper with water. Every carcass inside lay cheese slices and peppers.
Fry in the usual way in hot oil on both sides. If you pour olive oil into the pan, and not vegetable oil, you will get much tastier.
Peppered red mullet is eaten with vegetables, boiled rice or mashed potatoes.
In recipes there are many specific seasonings. In terms of the range of our stores, the composition can be simplified. In remote winter greens replace parsley and dill. If there is cheese in the recipe, cream melted substitutes will do. And during the harvest season, the side dish is cheapened by the fact that it has grown in abundance: pumpkin, zucchini and eggplant, etc. Grilled vegetables or slightly stewed with seafood better than raw.
As for the use of fish parts, modern gourmets do not deny themselves the pleasure of crunching and large head of red mullet. In order for the hard part to be appetizing, it is fried until soft and brown. With the tail do the same. Eat small fish can be dry and dried form, to the foam, it is also great. Enjoy your meal!
A bit of history
As soon as they do not call this cute fish. And all her names are pretty cute - Barwena, Sultan, Red-bearded, Mule, Barbunia, Barbunka. This sea dweller is not only very beautiful, but also possesses outstanding taste qualities. She has an unusually tender meat, saturated with the smell of the sea and acquiring a pleasant pink color in the cooking process.
Red mullet from ancient times caught off the coast of the Black and Mediterranean Seas. Especially highly appreciated in ancient Rome. And in those days it was believed that the larger the fish, the more appetizing it is. Experience shows that this is actually not the case.
Fried red mullet. Ingredients
This is the easiest way to cook valuable fish. Many consider him and also the most successful. In any case, it is roasted red mullet that is very much appreciated on the Mediterranean shores. The recipe for how to cook this tasty dish, you will learn below. You need the following ingredients for it:
- red mullet - half a kilo,
- flour - 200 grams,
- starch - 50 grams,
- salt to taste
- black pepper - to taste.
- First, wash and scrape the red mullet. Then each fish needs to open the belly and pull the insides out of it.
- Next, the flour must be mixed with pepper, salt, starch and roll in this mixture of red mullet.
- Then the fish should be placed in a pan with hot vegetable oil and fry on both sides until golden brown appears.
- After that, the finished red mullet should be laid out on a dish, sprinkled with freshly ground black pepper and serve with greens and lemon.
So just done red mullet. The recipe for cooking this dish in a matter of minutes can be mastered even by an aspiring cook.
Red mullet baked in the oven. Ingredients
A less common method of cooking the fish we are describing. However, this does not become less tasty baked red mullet. Recipes for this dish have been honed over the centuries. One of them involves the use of such products:
- red mullet - four pieces,
- salt, pepper - to taste,
- olive oil - three to four spoons (table),
- garlic - two cloves,
- parsley - half a bunch.
Red mullet baked in the oven. Cooking method
- First, the red mullet should be washed, rid of entrails and scales, dry.
- Next, the fish must be pepper and salt to taste.
- Then you need to put it in a bowl and pour oil.
- After that, chop the garlic and put it on the fish.
- Then the parsley must be chopped into small pieces, put in a bowl and mix gently with the other ingredients. Next, the fish should be given to marinate for half an hour.
- Then the red mullet should be laid out in a refractory dish, placed in an oven and baked at 180 degrees. Cooking time is about 40 minutes.
- After that, our fried red mullet will be ready for use. The recipes of this dish say that it goes well with fresh herbs and lemon slices.
Red mullet with thyme and lemon. Ingredients
Almost any fish is "friendly" with lemon juice and herbs. Red mullet is no exception. However, for its preparation is better to use fresh herbs, such as thyme.
- red mullet - 650 grams (6 medium-sized fishes),
- fresh thyme - a few twigs,
- lemon - one thing,
- wheat flour - for roasting,
- olive or vegetable oil - to taste,
- pepper (freshly ground, black) - to taste,
- salt - to taste.
Red mullet with thyme and lemon. Cooking method
- First you need to gut the fish and clean it of scales. Then it should be washed in running water and placed in a colander to get rid of excess moisture.
- Next, the lemon must be thoroughly (with a brush) washed in warm water and cut into slices, which should then be cut into neat wedges.
- After that, you need to break in half sprigs of thyme.
- Then the pan for baking fish should be covered with foil.
- Next, in a small plate it is necessary to pour a small amount of vegetable oil to lubricate the fish, and pour a few tablespoons of wheat flour into another container.
- After that, you need to turn on the oven and heat it to 220 ° C.
- Then the fish must be seasoned from the inside with black freshly ground pepper, sprinkled with salt, put thyme and several pieces of lemon in each belly.
- Next, you need to moisten the fingers in olive or vegetable oil and lightly grease them on the outside.
- After that, the fish should be rolled in flour, put it on a hot frying pan and fry on high heat for one minute on each side.
- Then the red mullet should be laid out on a pre-covered foil pan.
- Next, it must be placed in a preheated oven and bake for seven to eight minutes. Cooking time depends on the size of carcasses. It’s not worth keeping them in the oven for a long time, otherwise they will come out too dry.
Here is our baked red mullet ready. Cooking recipes in the oven indicate that this fish is very fond of lemon juice, so no need to regret it. To the table the dish can also be served with slices of lemon and ripe tomatoes.
- Both fresh and frozen red mullet is suitable for roasting and frying. Cooking recipes are fish that warn that it can be thawed only at room temperature in a natural way.
- Lemon for red mullet should be chosen with a thin skin, otherwise after baking it can give a bitter bitterness.
- When using thyme, preference should be given to fresh produce.
- For the preparation of red mullet suitable large sea salt. Shallow you can over-salt the dish.
- If the fish have caviar, throw it away. It is better to try to put a few eggs back into the abdomen before preparing for frying.
Now you know how to cook red mullet. Feel free to experiment, and you will have an unforgettable treat for loved ones. Enjoy your meal!
Begin acquaintance with a small fish
Red-bearded sultanca, Barbunka, Barbunia and even a mule are all names for the same kind of fish. Some people confuse red mullet with capelin and even sprat, others even consider it a river dweller. In fact, this fish is caught in the warm waters of the Mediterranean and Black Seas. At one time it was very popular in ancient Rome and in Turkey, it was served to the table of emperors and sultans. Although at that time they preferred to use large sea fish to cook royal treats, they considered small food to be food for the poor.
In fact, the meat of red mullet is tender and tasty, after heat treatment, it becomes a pleasant pink color. At the same time, it is not necessary to gut and clean it, and it is not necessary to cook for a long time, otherwise it will become dry. There are a variety of recipes for cooking red mullet. It must be admitted that the most delicious recipe is the simplest one, it's just a sultan roasted to a crisp in a skillet.
But the recipe has its own subtleties, if you break them, the red-barbatus will turn out not so appetizing and crispy on top, while juicy and tender inside. The chef of the Odessa restaurant is ready to reveal his secrets of how to cook red mullet just in a frying pan, and below will be given unconventional cooking recipes, which are also definitely worth a try.
So, first you need to find a fresh fish, but if you don’t find one, fresh frozen will do. Next you will need the following ingredients:
- flour for rolling fish,
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh lemon juice,
- cooking oil for frying,
- fresh greens for garnish.
At first glance, everything is simple and trite. And quite inexpensive, which is very valuable. But here begins the little secrets and tricks that make this recipe special.
The first trick: for rolling fish is better to use not just wheat flour, and flour, combined with the same amount of starch. This is a pledge of air and at the same time crisp. You can experiment with rice flour.
The second trick: you need to fry fish only in a thick-walled pan or even cast iron, not sparing oil. In a conventional frying pan with a non-stick coating or in a deep fryer, it turns out quite differently, it is checked!
The third trick: it will be revealed below the recipe during the preparation:
- Shoe sultanka. If the fish has been frozen, it should be defrosted. Fresh simply put in a tray and put under cold water. Neither the heads nor the tails of the carcasses are cut off. Scales are still better to remove, especially since it is done quickly and easily. It is enough just to hold your fingers from the tail to the head, the scales will peel off. As for gutting, it is completely optional - red mullet does not have bile, so nothing will happen if the insides remain in the abdomen, the taste of meat does not deteriorate. But this is a private affair of each hostess, and a matter of time.
- Preparation for frying. Peeled carcasses should be dried on a paper towel. In a deep tray combine the flour and starch, put the fish there and roll well. Shake off excess flour. Wet fish should not be dipped in flour and starch, they will become clods, and such a uniform and tasty crust will not turn out. Do not pickle, do not pepper and do not pour red mullet with lemon juice! All this, according to the recipe, after.
- Roasting. And this is the third trick. At first, a cast-iron pan or a cauldron is put on the fire and warms up well. Then vegetable oil is poured into it, which also needs to be very well heated. Then, one at a time, the fish are neatly stacked in one layer, not very densely so that they are well roasted. Fry should be no more than three minutes on each side. This is enough to make a crust and meat cooked.
- Finished fish is removed on a paper towel to remove excess fat and not soak a crust in it. Then immediately salted, peppered and sprinkled with lemon juice. You can fry the whole fish in 2-3 visits.
Bon Appetit! You can serve red mullet just like that, with lemon, and you can make vegetable cutting and mashed potatoes.
Option in the oven with lemon and aromatic herbs
For this recipe, besides the fish, you will need:
- olive oil,
- a few cloves of garlic,
- half a bunch of parsley,
- one or two lemons
- a few sprigs of thyme,
- salt and pepper.
In this recipe, carcasses are gutted as they are stuffed. You also need to prepare the remaining ingredients. Lemon should be washed, cut into thin slices, and then into neat triangles. Garlic peel and chop. Wash, shake and chop the parsley. Cut the thyme sprigs from the stems.
Then the carcass rubbed with salt and pepper from the inside and outside. Next, the most painstaking work: a few slices of lemon, a little parsley and thyme are put into the belly of each fish. Stuffed carcasses are laid out in a tray, sprinkled with the remaining greens and garlic, poured over with olive oil and left to marinate for half an hour.
Before baking, the fish are lightly brushed off the marinade, put into a refractory mold and placed in the oven. You can turn on the grill mode or heat it up to 180 degrees. Baking time for the recipe - about half an hour.
And this recipe is for real gourmets. In addition to the fish itself, which is two times less for this recipe, that is, 250 g, you should also prepare in advance:
- flour for rolling
- salt, pepper and ground saffron,
- olive oil for frying,
- two or three ripe tomatoes,
- as many cloves of garlic,
- half a glass of dry white wine,
- a little fresh herbs - parsley or basil.
This recipe is a little more complicated, but worth it:
- Red mullet is prepared as described above. Then it needs to be dried, rub on all sides with a mixture of salt, pepper and saffron, roll in flour.
- Heat the butter in a pan and quickly fry the carcasses on both sides - this recipe indicates a time of 1.5-2 minutes for each side, no more. Remove from the dish and set aside.
- Remove the skin from the tomatoes, get rid of seeds and excess juice, chop the pulp. Put the tomatoes in the skillet in which the fish was fried, squeeze the garlic through the press, add all the spices and chopped greens, pour in the wine and cook, stirring constantly, for about 15 minutes.
- It remains only to collect and bake a delicious dish. Carcasses are laid out in shape, tomato sauce with wine is poured on top. All this beauty is prepared in the oven, heated to 180 degrees, no more than 10 minutes. Serve Sultan can and hot, straight from the stove, and cold. Enjoy your meal.
All these recipes are very different, and they are all very successful. Можно экспериментировать, меняя и добавляя ингредиенты, но главное – не отказываться от такой вкусной и полезной рыбки, как барабулька.
Что это за рыба?
Барабуля или, как она называется иначе, султанка – это род рыбы, относящийся к немногочисленному семейству барабулевых. The body is small, its length does not exceed 30 centimeters, but, nevertheless, the fish is considered a valuable trade, and in some regions is regarded as a delicacy. Distinctive features are the reddish tinge of some areas of silvery scales, as well as antennae located on the lower jaw, resembling a beard (by the way, this gave the name to the genus, and it translates roughly as "beard").
Red mullets are found in many seas, including the Black, Azov, Mediterranean and others. They live in small depths in the sand and eat benthic inhabitants.
As already noted above, bulgar is considered a real delicacy and is very much appreciated. This is due to its delicate and fragrant fat, as well as nourishing white meat, which give the dishes a unique aroma and pleasant taste.
What to cook from this fish?
There are a variety of recipes for cooking such fish as red mullet, and some will be discussed in detail.
The simplest recipe is grilled red mullet, which is ideal for beer. For cooking you will need:
- about 1 kg of red mullet,
- two or three tablespoons of flour,
- pepper, salt, other spices to your taste,
- vegetable oil (if desired, you can replace the cream).
- Fish should be thoroughly washed. It is not necessary to clean it, since the scales are very small and practically not felt after heat treatment.
- Next, salt and season each fish with spices and pepper, then dip it in flour completely.
- Fry the barabulek in a pan in a well-heated oil so that the fish are covered with an appetizing ruddy crispy crust.
If you want to remove excess oil from such a dish, then put the barabulek on a paper towel or blot them with a napkin.
Red mullet can be baked in the oven, and this dish will be very appetizing. Here is what you need:
- kilogram of red mullet,
- five or six cloves of garlic,
- onion head,
- three fairly large tomatoes,
- bunch of parsley,
- a teaspoon of fresh or dried thyme,
- half a cup of olive oil,
- Wash the fish, clean it if necessary, then transfer to a colander and salt. While you are preparing other ingredients, the red mullet will have time to salt out, and excess moisture will be drained from it.
- Cut the tomatoes into rings, finely chop the onion after cleaning, chop, chop the garlic, for example, by passing it through a press or rub it on a grater. All these components are mixed, add ground pepper and salt.
- Prepare a high enough baking sheet, grease its bottom with oil and place half of the vegetable mixture described in the previous paragraph on it. Next, put on the layer of red mullet, and on top distribute the remnants of tomatoes, onions and garlic with spices. Then pour all the olive oil.
- Send the baking tray to an oven heated to 190 degrees for about 40-50 minutes, depending on the size of the fish.
- A simple but interesting dish is ready!
If you want something exquisite, then try to cook red mullet in a great wine sauce. Prepare the following ingredients:
- 600-700 g barabulek,
- two or three garlic cloves,
- big onion head,
- a few peas carnations,
- ground pepper,
- 70-80 ml of white wine,
- 100 ml of water
- olive oil,
- Clean and wash the fish, and then gut by cutting off the tails and heads.
- Peel the onions, cut them into thin half-rings, and chop the garlic in any way you like. Carrots are best rubbed on a large grater.
- In a frying pan with high walls, heat the oil, fry the onions on it for a minute or two, then immediately add the carrots. After five to seven minutes, put pepper, bay leaf and cloves, and pour in wine diluted with water.
- Put the fish into the wine-vegetable sauce, cover and simmer for 15 minutes over low heat.
- At the very end, salt the dish and pepper, after a minute, turn off the fire. This fish will be very tender, melting in the mouth.
Cook red mullet with mushrooms. This will require:
- 1 kg of red mullet
- 400-500 g of champignons,
- a tomato,
- 2/3 cup of cream,
- about 100 g of hard cheese,
- some flour
- pepper with salt.
- The fish must first be washed, cleaned and gutted. Next, sprinkle it with lemon juice and rub with salt, leave to marinate for half an hour.
- Warm up the butter in a skillet and fry the goatfish until golden brown, each rolling them up in flour.
- Next, prepare the vegetables and mushrooms. Tomatoes cut into rings, onions - half rings. Mushrooms preferably cut into plates.
- On a baking sheet or in a greased baking dish, first place the tomatoes, then the fried scrambled eggs, then the mushrooms and onions. Pour all the cream and sprinkle the cheese grated on top.
- Send the form to an oven preheated to 180 degrees for about twenty or twenty five minutes.
A few tips for hostess:
- If the red mullets are large, then it is desirable to clean them. It is most convenient to do this under a stream of water or in a package so that the scales do not fly apart.
- To remove the peculiar smell of the sea (although to some it seems quite pleasant), you must first pickle the fish by sprinkling it with lemon juice.
- If possible, purchase fresh or chilled red mullet. And if you live far from the sea, then only frozen fish is available to you, but make sure that there is as little ice as possible, and the carcasses are not badly damaged and collapsed.
- Remember that red mullet has a very tender flesh, so it cooks quickly. And if the heat treatment is too long, the benefit of the dish will not work. On the contrary, the fish will become dry and lose their qualities, which are so appreciated.
- Spice up such fish with your favorite spices. But they should not be too bright or sharp, otherwise the taste of the mullet itself will be lost. The main task of spices is to emphasize the quality of the dish, so do not overdo it.
If you decide to purchase a mullet, now you can definitely cook a lot of amazing and simple dishes from this delicious fish.
- Red mullet 1 Kilogram
- Salt To taste
- Flour 100-150 grams
- Vegetable oil To taste
1. With the preparatory process everything is more or less clear: wash, clean the fish from the inside, dry it a little. Salt to taste. You can also add spices, but red mullet, roasted at home, is good without them.
2. Pour the vegetable oil into the pan and put on fire. You can use a deep stewpan, for example, to fry fish in deep fat. In a small bowl, add flour and roll fish in it from all sides.
3. Put in hot oil, fry over medium heat.
4. When on one side the fish has browned enough, gently turn it over and fry it on the other side.
5. That's the whole secret of how to cook red mullet quickly and tasty. After placing it on a paper napkin to remove excess oil before serving. Serve fish with a side dish, vegetables or as a snack for beer.