The conditioner itself, in principle, causes allergies extremely rarely, because it misses and cools the air present in the room. And therefore the causes of allergic reactions are different:
- Plants standing in the room. Their pollen is in the air, and with the help of an air conditioner it spreads around the room, which provokes the development of allergic reactions.
- Dust accumulating in the instrument filter. If we neglect the regular cleaning of this part, then dust particles when the air conditioner is turned on will spread through the cooled room, getting into the respiratory tract of people here and causing allergies.
- Mold spores. They are very small and invisible, can be inside the air conditioner and during operation of the device to spread around the room. Some types of mold are harmful and dangerous to the human body.
- Cold allergy occurs infrequently and usually occurs in the winter season when leaving the house on the street. But if a person suffering from such a rare disease comes from the heat into a cold, air-conditioned room, the symptoms can also appear.
- Bacteria. They also inevitably get into the conditioner and multiply in it, and, penetrating into the human body during breathing, can cause unwanted reactions (due to the response of immune cells to foreign bodies).
- Dust mites. Usually they live in carpets or furniture, but when shaking or knocking out such interior elements, they can get into the air conditioner or split system by air.
- Materials of which the conditioner is made. If they are of poor quality, they can release volatile substances into the environment that trigger the development of undesirable reactions.
Allergies can be recognized by the following signs:
- nasal congestion, sneezing, nasal discharge,
- swelling, redness and itching of the eyes, increased tearing,
- sore throat or discomfort, dry cough, difficulty breathing due to laryngeal swelling,
- redness of the skin, body rash, itching,
- general weakness, malaise, drowsiness,
- irritability, nervous irritability (due to unpleasant or painful symptoms).
Important! Localization of symptoms depends on the individual sensitivity of a particular person and the zone of entry of allergens into his body. So, inhalation causes respiratory symptoms, and during contact with the skin - dermatological.
To find out the exact causes of allergy, you need to contact an allergist. He will conduct a survey of the patient and his examination, and then prescribe allergic tests that allow to identify the allergen, or at least a group of irritants. Such analyzes suggest the introduction of allergens under the skin by the method of scratching. After some time, the doctor examines the areas: if there is redness, then the reaction occurs in response to this substance.
What to do if you are allergic to air conditioning? The main direction of therapy is to prevent any contact with allergens. But this does not mean that you have to give up the air conditioner. Just follow a few steps:
- First of all, remove the filter from the device and clean it or replace it. And such manipulations should be carried out regularly.
- From the room, remove all plants that may cause allergies (usually blooming species).
- Do a general house cleaning to remove dust. You also need to shake and steam furniture and carpets (thermal effects will destroy bacteria and dust mites).
- For traces of mold, use specialized fungicides, treating the affected surface with a spray gun.
To eliminate the symptoms of allergies apply:
- Antihistamines. They block the production of histamines, which are responsible for inflammatory reactions and cause the main allergic symptoms. Choose the latest generation of drugs that act quickly and prolonged, as well as not causing side effects such as drowsiness and a decrease in concentration. These are the funds “Tavegil”, “Telfax”, “Cetrin”, “Zodak”.
- Vasoconstrictor local agents eliminate the swelling of the mucous membranes of the nasal passages and partly of the throat.
- Saline or physiological solutions. Regularly irrigating their nasal cavity, you will flush out allergens and increase local protection.
- For severe and severe allergic reactions, the doctor may prescribe the use of hormonal agents - glucocorticosteroids. But they are recommended for severe allergies, have contraindications and side effects.
Important! Treatment should be prescribed by a specialist after diagnosis.
Prevention of allergies to air conditioning includes the following measures:
- Replace air conditioner filters regularly. If the device is installed at work in an office, then make sure that the person in charge of the service does this. In the absence of such, make a complaint to the management.
- Get a conditioner from a proven and well-known company in order not to stumble upon a low-quality product. In order to avoid fakes, check all certificates and other documents on the device.
- Operate the air conditioner, following the rules outlined in the instructions.
- Regularly carry out wet cleaning in a refrigerated room.
- Remove all plants from the room that may cause allergic reactions.
- Use air ionizers. If bacteria or viruses are suspected in the room, use a portable quartz lamp suitable for home use.
- Ventilate the room often and moisten it to create a favorable microclimate.
Allergy to air conditioning has several causes. And for treatment, it is necessary to eliminate all adverse factors, which will help the data in the article tips.
What to do if the conditioner causes an acute allergic attack?
Experts say that allergy to air conditioning is a myth. Such an allergy is not in nature. But why then do some people start sneezing, coughing and “crying” as soon as they feel the breath from the air conditioner? The reasons for this may be several:
- You are sensitive to too dry or too humid air in the room. If you are worried about coughing, dry nose or sore throat, be sure to pay attention to moisture.
Output: Get a humidifier and air ionizer.
You dust allergy. A key manifestation of this allergy is cough and asthmatic symptoms.
Output: Do wet cleaning of the room more often, regularly wash fabric covers, beds, etc., and use a washing vacuum cleaner.
You do not react to the air conditioner itself, but to the stale air, which is “ejected” by the air conditioner. The room is not ventilated, but only cooled, the same bacteria, dust, etc. circulate in the air.
Output: every 2 hours, go out for some fresh air, or open windows in the room for at least 15-20 minutes.
Output: try to gradually lower the temperature. For example, if outside from +30, turn on the air conditioner at first by +27, after half an hour, reduce to 23, then after another half an hour you can put on +18.
- In your air conditioner, the filter has not changed for a long time, it is clogged and you react to dust and other irritants that have accumulated there.
Output: urgently change the air conditioner filter.
- You are allergic to propylene glycol. This chemical is used in many air conditioning systems.
Output: consult with your doctor and take the tests. If you are really allergic to this substance, look for an air conditioner where it is not used.
Subscribe to our telegram and be aware of all the most interesting and relevant news!
Causes of Allergies
The design and mechanism of such an apparatus are designed to perform mechanical and domestic functions. Damage to health does not work the air conditioner, and its contents (filters). It is filters that collect dust particles, microbes, waste macronutrients, causing causes of illness. The main causes of allergic intolerance to air conditioning:
- Air saturated with microbes.
- Dry or high humidity.
- Viruses from dust mites.
- The composition of the material of the air conditioner.
- Spores from mold.
- Household fungi.
All these reasons contribute to the development of allergies. An old air conditioner serves as a spreader of bacteria and allergens. Viruses and microbes multiply rapidly in untreated filters. The air emanating from the device causes serious damage to the occupants of the room. First of all, children and allergies are affected.
Filters affect the smell of air in the room. The room can be heavy musty air. Recycled particles poison the air, causing an allergy disease.
Anxious symptoms appear due to the dusty air conditioner filter:
- Increased temperature.
- Sneezing, runny nose.
- Redness and tearing of the eyes.
- Dry mouth.
- Redness of the skin.
- Exhausting cough.
- Skin rash.
- Tickling in the larynx.
- Feeling tired and sleepy.
With the above symptoms, an urgent need to consult an allergist. Timely diagnosis will not allow the development of allergies. Analyzes and tests will help the specialist to prescribe the appropriate drugs for treatment. The appointment of antihistamines will eliminate the disease. It is advisable not to visit the office, the room where the household appliance is located.
Treatment and what to do
Self-medication can not be engaged, you need to contact a specialist.
Based on the final test results and allergy tests, the doctor will prescribe anti-allergic and antihistamine medicines: Suprastin, Alerron, Tavegil, Zodak, Cetrin, etc. Drops or sprays are suitable for rhinitis: Galazolin, Nazivin, Vibrocil or Appergodil. Tablets, drops, aerosols should be taken in conjunction with vitamins and drugs to improve immunity.
Prevention and how to deal with allergies
Flying dust from the device indoors provokes unpleasant symptoms. Exacerbation of allergies in the body begins in the spring and summer. And the collected dust over the winter in filters in large quantities gets into the respiratory tract.
Proper operation of the device - the guarantee of health and quality of life. Exact compliance with the rules of the manual operation of the air conditioner will prevent the appearance of allergies. Regular replacement of filters every quarter.
The technique also requires keeping it in order. Then it will serve longer and will work qualitatively. Do not neglect the services of a specialist to clean the air conditioner filter.
Clean room, timely wet cleaning, airing will prevent the occurrence of the disease. Allergy sufferers are susceptible to dirt. Also allergy prone people with reduced immunity, chronic diseases, asthmatics, pregnant women and children.
Causes of disease
What is the reason, namely, allergy to air conditioning in humans. Let's look at the main causes of the disease:
- The air conditioner cools and thereby moistens the air. Due to the large number of germs, viruses and dust mites excrement, as well as dirty filters, an allergic reaction appears.
- An allergy attack can start from the various chemical elements that make up the conditioner, and they, in turn, can decompose.
- Allergy to air conditioning, is a kind of house for mold fungi. It is their disputes and provoke allergies in a person who lives or works in a room with air conditioning.
- Allergic reaction can still occur due to a variety of viruses, bacteria, germs. It is in this environment that they reproduce well and quickly. These allergens emit into the air, the products of their life, therefore, the room with air conditioning and causes such a reaction in some people.
But all this can be avoided if properly handle the device.
If a strong device is installed in a small-sized room, and it is not well watched, do not clean the filters, then there is a danger that the allergy will hit the human body.
Because the person is constantly in contact with allergens from the air conditioner, the manifestation may be:
- A person begins to have symptoms of a cold, such as sneezing, although there is no obvious cold.
- Eyes turn red and itchy, eyelids swell.
- An abundant watery discharge from the nose begins or, on the contrary, congestion appears.
- Sudden dry, suffocating cough, leading to milking choking.
- Difficult breathing, sometimes with a whistle.
- Rash and itching on the skin, in rare cases, turning into blisters.
To diagnose this disease, you must consult a doctor. To make a diagnosis, the doctor will need to conduct a series of clinical tests, make skin tests. If the disease is confirmed, then immediate treatment will be prescribed.
Treatment of the disease
The first thing to do in case of an allergic reaction is to move away from the conditioner or, in general, get rid of it.
Treatment of a disease depends on its severity, therefore, it is necessary to use different medications:
1. Antihistamines. They begin to take at the first symptoms of allergies. These include tablets, capsules, inhalers, drops, sprays, as well as topical agents. But do not self-medicate. All drugs should be taken only by doctor's prescription.
2. Corticosteroid agents. This list includes ointments, creams, sprays. They should be used for skin rashes. You can buy them at the pharmacy, but, unfortunately, many have side effects if they are not used according to the instructions. From this it follows that all these tools are used after a full examination and only if allergies have been confirmed by skin tests.
3. Antiedematous drugs. Appointed if swelling is observed in the oral cavity. These drugs will help get rid of difficult breathing and nasal congestion.
The first reason - clogged filters
Allergic reaction is not the work of the air conditioner, and the dust flying in the air. In other words, there is a common allergy to dust. After all, few people think about the timely cleaning of the instrument filters. It often happens that the air conditioner opens the spring-summer season with all the stocks of dust that had time to deposit in it over the past year.
What to do: regularly change filters, that's all. On modern models of air conditioners and split systems, there are almost always indicators that “inform” about the need for such a replacement. If the indicator is not provided on your device, then check the condition of the filters every 3-4 months.
Reason Two - Omnipresent Dust
Particles of dust hide not only in the “bins” of the air conditioner - they are enough in any room. And especially a lot of dust where wet cleaning is rarely carried out. When the air conditioner turns on, powerful air flows begin to circulate around the room. Naturally, all the dust, quietly "dozing" earlier in the corners, goes to free flight, and here you really have to breathe it. What is surprising, then, that during the operation of the air conditioner you begin to cough?
What to do: carry out wet cleaning regularly. It involves wiping the floor and removing household dust from the surface of the furniture using a damp cloth. In office and work premises, wet cleaning is recommended at least once a day. At home, you can do it every day and every other day, but not at least once a week.
The third reason is dry air.
Dry and sometimes stale indoor air is a common occurrence. After all, many people seriously consider: once air conditioning works, it means that opening windows for airing is not necessary at all. And this is a fundamentally wrong point of view. Ventilate the room can and should be. But, of course, not at the time when the air conditioner is working, but when it is turned off.
What to do: air the room, apartment, office. It is possible to open windows for this purpose every two hours, and the duration of airing should be at least 10 minutes. Another smart solution is to purchase and install an air humidifier or an indoor fountain in the room.
The third reason - high humidity
The problem is exactly the opposite of the previous one. Dampness and humidity in the room is also a reason to cough up. In addition, in conditions of high humidity, all kinds of fungi and mold are easily made. And, as soon as the conditioner begins to "blow," fungal spores and mold particles begin to move freely in the air. If they get through the respiratory tract into your body, it will not end with anything good: weakening of the immune system and the development of fungal diseases is almost inevitable.
What to do: observe the hygiene of the room, timely detect and remove fungal and mold accumulations on the walls, ceilings, in different hiding places, etc. And even better - buy an ionizer. It not only dries the air, but also cleans it of pollution.
Reason Four - Temperature Changes
Как бы вам ни нравилась искусственная прохлада, вырабатываемая кондиционером, ваш организм может реагировать на нее, как на стресс. Представьте себе: с улицы, где тридцатиградусная жара, вы входите в помещение с температурой воздуха 18-20 градусов. On the one hand, it is pleasant, but on the other - the prerequisites for hypothermia are created. And how can you not cough up?
What to do:avoid temperature extreme. Reducing the temperature should be delicately, by 2-3 degrees every half hour. On the street 30? Then first turn on the air conditioner at + 27-28 degrees. Then, after half an hour, reduce the temperature to 25-26 degrees, then - to 23-24. And so gradually reach the minimum at which you will be comfortable.
The fifth reason - propylene glycol
This colorless liquid is used in air conditioners as antifreeze (“coolant”), because it has good cooling properties. The smell of propylene glycol can not be called strongly pronounced, but, nevertheless, it can cause irritation and an allergic reaction.
What to do:see a doctor and get tested in order to rule out other possible causes of allergies. Think about changing the air conditioner - you need to look for a model with a different principle of cooling.
P. S .: If this article was useful for you, you can say “thank you” to its author by pressing the button of your favorite social network or writing your own comment.
Symptoms of allergies to air conditioning
Symptoms allergy to air conditioning is similar to manifestations of colds. The main signs of hypersensitivity to dust components, dry air, chemicals, overdried air are:
- Sore throat and dry cough,
- Difficult breathing, rarely turning into choking,
- Sneezing with nasal congestion and the formation of profuse mucus,
- Swelling of the eyelids and hyperemia of the sclera,
- Conjunctivitis, accompanied by tearing, itching of the eye membranes, burning sensation, "sand" in the eyes,
- Rash on the body, itchy skin.
In people with chronic dermatoses of allergic nature during the use of air conditioners often exacerbate skin pathology.
Several signs help to distinguish allergies to air conditioning from colds.
- With acute respiratory infections, body temperature usually rises, with allergies, this symptom rarely occurs,
- In case of allergy, mucus from the nose is clear and thin, with viral and bacterial infections, after 3-4 days from the onset of the disease, it becomes dense with a yellowish and greenish tint,
- In acute respiratory infections, general well-being suffers - appetite decreases, there can be headaches and muscle pains, such symptoms are not typical for allergies to air conditioning.
But in order to accurately determine the cause of the deterioration of well-being, it is necessary to have a diagnosis that a therapist or an allergist should prescribe.
Principles of treatment
Treatment of any type of allergy involves the elimination of contact with the allergen. If it is assumed that an allergic reaction occurs on the conditioner, it is necessary to proceed as follows:
- Perform a high-quality cleaning of the internal parts of the split system according to the instructions, wash the filters and, if necessary, replace them,
- Abandon the use of air conditioning in residential premises,
- Spend less time in cabinets where air conditioners are installed or switch them off as often as possible.
Drug treatment of an already appeared allergy to conditioners is carried out primarily with the help of antihistaminic drugs in tablets or liquid form for children, such as:
Quickly allergy symptoms relieve 1st generation antihistamines - Suprastin, Tavegil. They are used in a short course, because with long-term use, the likelihood of side effects increases many times over.
With nasal congestion and lacrimation, drops with vasoconstrictor and antihistamine effects are used. They eliminate puffiness and due to this they ease breathing, remove itching, reduce tearing and hyperemia of the sclera, details here https://allergiik.ru/kapli.html.
When skin lesions require the use of ointments, gels, sprays with antihistamine, anti-inflammatory components. Hormonal external agents are used in exceptional cases, and the doctor must prescribe them, details https://allergiik.ru/maz-dlya-kozhe.html.
With repeated episodes of allergy to air conditioning, it is necessary to strengthen the work of the immune system. Vitamin complexes and complete treatment of existing chronic diseases help in this.
Prevention of allergies and precautions when using air conditioners
Split systems are undoubtedly one of the best inventions, their use greatly improves performance, makes it easy to tolerate heat, and reduces the likelihood of exacerbation of cardiovascular pathologies.
But in order that the conditioner does not bring harm, it is necessary to observe a number of precautionary measures:
- The temperature difference between the street and the room in which the air conditioner is installed should be within 10 degrees. If this figure is higher, then the microclimate created by the split system will not be very useful for the human body, which creates preconditions for the exacerbation of chronic diseases and the appearance of allergies,
- Cleaning and replacement of filters should be carried out in the time specified in the instructions for the device. During the period of active use of the air conditioner, that is, in the summer, it is recommended to clean the filters at least once every three weeks. Before putting the split system into operation after a long interruption, it is necessary to carry out a full maintenance of the device,
- Once or twice a year you need to call the specialists involved in the maintenance of installed air conditioners,
- The split system needs to be fixed so that the air flow is not directed to the desktop, the sleeping place and those places in the room where you spend the most time,
- A room with an installed air conditioner should be ventilated more often, since a working appliance consumes only the air that is in the room, but there is no fresh air flow,
- In rooms with split systems it is required to regularly carry out wet cleaning, removing dust from all available places.
- It is advisable to turn off the air conditioner for the night and spend as little time as possible during the day in rooms with a working appliance,
- It is necessary to acquire the most modern models with the ionization function, this will allow you to maintain the desired level of humidity.
Air conditioning maintenance periods
Uninterrupted operation of air conditioners and the likelihood of developing allergies and other diseases depend on meeting the service life of devices. Manufacturers of household cooling equipment recommend maintenance to carry out:
- Up to two or more times a year if the air conditioner is installed in a private house or apartment,
- Quarterly when using split systems in office space,
- Monthly, if the air conditioning system is used in shopping centers, restaurants, medical facilities, pharmacies.
In each case, the terms of service air conditioners are set individually. However, you need to be aware that the occasional start up of the systems does not indicate that maintenance can be performed rarely.
“Working in the summer in stuffy rooms is almost impossible. Split systems - real salvation in the heat, but only if they are installed and operated according to the instructions. Proper maintenance of the air conditioner does not lead to a cold, does not cause the accumulation of germs and allergens and allows for a long time to use one device. The air conditioning system I have installed both at home and in the office, and when using it, I did not notice that my workers and households had frequent colds and allergies ”- ALEXEY.
“Allergies when using the air conditioner are not uncommon. And its development does not always allow avoiding replacement and cleaning of filters, installation of only the best systems. But in such cases there are alternative options for creating an acceptable microclimate in the room - the use of fans, blackout windows, good natural ventilation. Such methods of cooling air in the heat are much safer than artificial air conditioning ”- OLGA.
Air conditioners are certainly beneficial, but their use should always be appropriate. If the rooms are not very hot, then it is better to use fans, they do not dry out the air, do not create a stream of cold air and do not accumulate pathogenic microorganisms that can cause allergies or other more dangerous diseases.
Could there be an allergy to air conditioning?
Any allergic reaction occurs due to the interaction of a person with a irritant substance. These stimuli can be very different. Their effect on the body becomes the cause of enhanced histamine production, which is why the pathological symptoms arise.
With regard to devices such as air conditioning, it is difficult to understand exactly what causes the difficulties. This product is designed to make the air cleaner and more comfortable in temperature. Therefore, it would seem that an allergy should not occur when using it.
The problem is that in any split-system there are filters that collect pathological particles and microorganisms from the air.
It can be bacteria, fungi spores, dust, etc. If you do not replace the filter on time, it is filled with these harmful components, with the result that during its activity the state of the air begins to deteriorate.
Pathological particles spread, and people in the room inhale them. If the body is weakened, an allergy occurs.
In other words, an allergic reaction does not occur due to the use of air conditioning, but due to the fact that the product is applied with a crude filter. Especially often there are allergies to air conditioners installed in the machines, because there the filter changes quite rarely.
Additional incentives for the development of the disease can be:
- weak immunity,
- genetic predisposition
- drug abuse
- hormonal disorders,
- problems with metabolism
- chronic diseases
- physical or emotional exhaustion,
- bad habits.
These factors can make a person vulnerable and especially susceptible. Also, sensitivity is peculiar to children.
Another difficulty is that the air conditioner dries or humidifies the air too much. Some people are sensitive to such things, which causes them to develop an allergy.
Symptoms of a negative reaction
The intolerance of the conditioner is difficult to identify, because in its essence it is a reaction not to the product itself, but to the pathological particles that have accumulated in it.
It is impossible to test for a huge number of microorganisms and airborne substances. It is necessary to carefully examine the circumstances of the patient's life in order to understand when negative symptoms manifest themselves. And for this you need to know the main signs of such an allergy.
- increased tearing,
- redness of the eyelids,
- temperature rise,
- itching on the skin
- dry mouth
- redness of the skin,
- fast fatiguability,
These features can be observed all together or separately. At first, only some of them can be found, but if untreated, the difficulties will increase. In this case, the patient may notice when the reaction is exacerbated.
All this should be reported to the allergist. He will examine the medical card to ensure that there are prerequisites for the development of the disease, will prescribe the necessary tests.
Only after that it makes sense to use drugs to eliminate the pathology. It is very important that the actions taken are correct, because otherwise the patient’s condition may deteriorate. Severe allergy attacks can even lead to death.
To neutralize adverse symptoms, you must stop contact with the allergen. In this case, it is desirable to be less likely to be in a room where air conditioning is used, and if there is an opportunity - to completely remove it. Although at first you can try to change the filter, because often the body reacts to bacteria, fungi and dust particles in it.
Since split-systems are used in many organizations, it will be difficult to completely avoid contact with them. Therefore, it is necessary to figure out how to overcome the pathological symptoms. Allergist will help to choose the most effective method for this.
Most often for this purpose antihistamines are used, which quickly eliminate problematic phenomena.
They can be produced in different forms. Tablets are prescribed in the presence of various symptoms. They have a systemic effect on the body. When skin reactions effectively apply the cream, ointment and sprays. Sometimes they are prescribed in combination with each other.
In complicated cases, a specialist may recommend a drug from among the corticosteroid. They act faster and more efficiently, but at the same time cause side effects, so they should be used for a short time and only as prescribed by a doctor.
To eliminate such allergies in a child, products with a lower dose of active ingredients are used.
Video from Dr. Komarovsky:
Allergy treatment is quite difficult. If this disease has already formed, the patient has to observe a special regimen throughout his life. Therefore, it makes sense to try to avoid difficulties.
Prevent the development of the disease can, if you follow rules such as:
- Follow the instructions for the air conditioner.
- Timely replacement filters.
- Frequent conduct of wet cleaning in the room.
- The use of ionizers or humidifiers (with sensitivity to its dryness or humidity).
- Seek medical attention if negative symptoms occur.
- Strengthening immunity.
Following these recommendations does not guarantee that problems will not arise. Usually, their observance is desirable for people at risk, but irritation can occur in any person, even in the absence of prerequisites.